All MongoDB Reviews

Joseph

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Agrxis Review on MongoDB

My time using MongoDB has been excellent. MongoDB has become my go-to database choice because I work with data a lot. I have been able to handle a variety of rapidly changing data requirements with ease thanks to its flexibility and scalability. I like the document-based paradigm since it fits my data's dynamic nature nicely. I've been able to swiftly adapt and iterate thanks to the ability to store and query data in a schema-less manner. It has never been easier to obtain and analyze data effectively because to MongoDB's robust query language and indexing capabilities. My development process has been sped up by the easy connection with well-known programming languages and frameworks, allowing me to concentrate on creating strong and feature-rich applications. Along the road, any problems I met into were also greatly helped by the active community and thorough documentation. As a result, MongoDB has significantly changed the way I work with data by giving me access to a dependable, scalable, and adaptable database solution that meets all of my requirements.

PROS

MongoDB's unmatched flexibility and scalability are what I liked best about it. MongoDB has changed the game for me as someone who deals with continually evolving data formats and requirements. The document-based architecture enables me to store data in a manner that closely resembles the entities and connections seen in the real world, making it highly intuitive and simple to use. The dynamic schema gives me the flexibility I need to iterate quickly by allowing me to modify and develop my data model without being constrained. MongoDB's extraordinary capacity to scale has proven invaluable in helping me manage increasing data volumes and high-performance applications with ease. With MongoDB, I have the flexibility to scale horizontally with sharding or vertically with replica sets to match my changing demands. Additionally, data retrieval and analysis are now a snap because to the robust query language, numerous indexing options, and aggregation architecture.

CONS

If I had to pick one thing about MongoDB that I disliked the least, it would be the steep learning curve that comes with its sophisticated capabilities and intricate setups. MongoDB is a strong and feature-rich database that offers a variety of capabilities that may take some time and work to completely understand and efficiently use.

Reviewed August 2020

Great data storage solution with space for improvement

Using MongoDB for years, mostly as local storage in docker containers. Latest project is based on cloud solution.

PROS

I like the Atlas Cloud solution. It enables various tricks and cross-integrations of single database between multiple apps (containers) with simple user management - for a reasonable price.

CONS

I cannot get over this Atlas Compass UX issue - I want to open at least two "tabs" with collections at the same time. This is not possible and even worse, when you switch between collections, thee state is completely reset. So I'm compiling the search query carefully with all the commas, brackets and identifiers, I often need to search for ID from another collection or maybe from the same collection. When i change collection scope -> BAM! The whole query is gone :( The input should retain its actual value... Second "issue": When it comes to schema changes in living DB, sometimes it behaves unexpectedly (no error, no data). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I would like to know it...

Reason for choosing MongoDB

Document orientation, cloud feature, high security, price

Terrible security.

Trevor

Oil & Energy, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed November 2020

Cheap Mongo DB

Built several multi-node clusters for data warehousing for ETL tools. Had a lot of issues early on to get it working. Documentation 2 years ago + was spotty but now its a lot better. Not to mention the software has evolved to include features sorely missing awhile back. We moved away from thsi product as it doesnt allow backups as robust as MSSQL and oracle but its great for certain types of data needs.

PROS

Can use a free version of it. And does allow clustering of it inclusive.

CONS

Compass client tool is useless versus other DB software tools. Pretty much all cli based access ot the collections within

Reason for choosing MongoDB

3rd party software only supported this at the time. We have since moved away from that 3rd party software and this platform.

Reviewed March 2024

The best DBMS for unstructured data

PROS

The ease of use and the community behind the product. It’s always growing and there are a ton of resources on the web.

CONS

The ACL handling is not as easy as it should be, but this could be a subjective point of view.

Darian

Insurance, 201-500 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Review of MongoDB

We used Mongo to host some incoming user data on one of our portals. We needed a solution that could host variable length data where the format could change semi-irregularly. Mongo was both quick to implement and reliable in use and has caused us no problems once we finished all the configurations.

PROS

MongoDB was our go-to solution for a NoSQL database due to the ease of installation and simplicity. We had used Mongo before for smaller projects but decided to use the MongoDB Atlas service to have a reliable instance online. Using the hosted version alleviated a lot of the configuration issues we had experienced also, although it isn't required to use the hosted version depending on the use case.

CONS

The visualization aspect of Mongo constantly was an issue for our team. We wanted to display dashboards of our data through a variety of methods but most were difficult to implement using Mongo, or were simple/slow at best. There was also a lot of trouble trying to connect MongoDB Atlas with our AWS VPC, specifically so that our cloud functions could access it.

Reason for choosing MongoDB

We previously used Mongo for an original version of our project, and when considering alternatives we decided to stick with what we were used to.

10,000+ employees

Reviewed April 2022

Why mongodb is widely used database in current market situation.

I have merged mongodb with the react js and building a fully dynamic website for a client. And mongodb have the user authentication in builtin so it’s easier for me so no need to extra code for that part.

PROS

Mongodb is a no-sql( not only sql) database.so it is different from other traditional database.its support partitions and indexing both so the data fetching is way more faster then other traditional database. We can use both partition and indexing for storing data and also make use of partition we can fetch data in less time as compared to others database and its store data in horizontal way so no relation and no scheme needed so its gives faster performance in data analysis.

CONS

Mongodb doesn’t support procedure which is now supported bat many other no sql database and mongodb have little bit complex queries to understand for a new user.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

Because my sql is a traditional database and for making relationships between the tables its cost more for larger data set so want to use no sql for cost effective and faster experience.

1 employee

Reviewed February 2023

Maybe my new favourite way to store data

Very positive, allowed me to run a website with many many thousands of data entries, and all the usual features like relations and performance management that you would come to expect from a tool like MongoDB

PROS

Object oriented data storage is quickly becoming more popular and MongoDB makes it very easy to dip your toes into, and its blazing fast.

CONS

Adoption while fast, is still not there globally which means often resources on the web can be a bit scarce when compared to other database types.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

I wanted something that felt more modern and SQL seemed to be falling behind in that regard!

Heshani

Reviewed September 2019

Fastest leap In database management

I use mongo with our applications. For any set of data, this is the best database.

PROS

Really speedy and requires less memory. We can create collections without a definite number of rows and columns to come. We can add data without restrictions It gives a JSON output which is really easy to work with Easy to add , edit and remove data If a certain section has more than one data, we can insert them as sub arrays, and it makes the developments so flexible.

CONS

The free version allows limited memory so that we have to upgrade it to insert unlimited data. Other than that this is the best.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

We had to move as it takes very few memory and it is really fast. Also for data in a certain collection there are no limitations like fixed number is rows or columns. So that we can freely use it as we wish.

Reviewed February 2022

My viewpoint on MongoDB

It is very much fast and agile in nature.

PROS

It is very very much easy to use. It also manages multi server clusters. It has all the feature for documentations. I will definitely recommend everyone to use.

CONS

It is difficult to work with complex data.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

Becausei want to try MongoDB and yes its worthy too.

Bakare

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2019

MongoDB Management Experience

Useful for modelling social graph data and catalog data

PROS

Easy setup with various SDKs Good replication strategy Aggregation modelling is very straight forward

CONS

Collection indexing is very hard to update Increased memory usage

Reason for choosing MongoDB

It was the easiest to setup, we were developing a POC and needed easy integrations to push to market faster

Anil

Marketing and Advertising, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Database Platform MongoDB

I used MongoDB for my customers website to cover all the databases and working with developers to implement them.

PROS

Virtualization is perfect feature for MongoDB to understand your dataset and performings.

CONS

MongoDb is quite expensive when you compare other kind of database platforms.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

Microsoft SQL Server is quite hard to use and is not dashboard friendly.

Solomon

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2023

MongoDb is the easiest database to work with, good choice for new programmer.

Overall, MongoDB is a flexible, high-performance, non-relational database management system but it has some limitations like a lack of support for transactions across multiple documents and the process of setting up indexing and querying can be a bit complicated. Additionally, it lacks native joins, which can be a limitation in certain scenarios where data is highly relational. However, the document-based data model and built-in support for data replication and sharding make it a great option for unstructured data and high availability and scalability

PROS

I have been using MongoDB for several years now and I have to say, I am impressed with its flexibility and scalability. The query language is also quite simple and easy to use. I also appreciate the support for multiple programming languages, which allows me to interact with MongoDB using my preferred language. Overall, I highly recommend MongoDB for anyone in need of a flexible, high-performance, non-relational database management system.

CONS

I have been using MongoDB for some time and I have to say, it has a few limitations. The lack of support for transactions across multiple documents can be an issue for some use cases. Also, the process of setting up indexing and querying can be a bit complicated, it requires a good understanding of the data and access patterns. And the lack of native joins can be a limitation in certain scenarios where data is highly relational

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

MongoDB is easier to use

Tyson

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2019

Amazingly Flexible Database Capability

PROS

I don't usually rave about products, but I do about MongoDB. * MongoDB's schemaless document-centric approach to database makes it easy to store any kind of data I need to, even subdocuments and array fields with minimal fuss within code or tools. This allows for a lot of flexibility and makes it easy to upgrade or refactor existing software. * MongoDB's indexes provide amazing performance even in a schemaless world. Simple and compound indexes, as found in the relational database world, are just the start. Add to that multikey indexes (indexes over array fields), string and geolocation indexes, and indexes where entries expire documents with time. Mongo has it all. * MongoDB's approach to scalability - using replica sets for high availability and fault-tolerant failover and sharding databases over a potentially large number of servers - makes it easy to scale huge amounts of data without overly expensive hardware and failover complexity. * MongoDB driver support is available for a variety of languages. * Mongo University, free graded courses covering various aspects of MongoDB from development to administrative activities to security, etc., offers a solid path to learning.

CONS

I'm a huge proponent of MongoDB but because of the nature of schemaless document-oriented databases, there are still some problems for which a relational database is still the answer. There are some applications and technical domains where relational databases still have a huge lead over Mongo for performance.

Omair

E-Learning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2020

Robust for scaling

We switched from MLabs after MongoDB bought them and have since been able to make much better use of the MongoDB ecosystem with Compass, Charts, stronger cluster configuration etc.

PROS

We can see that MongoDB are on a growth-mindset, constantly adding new features like serverless functions, analytical text search, global write ops, and many other at-scale, enterprise level features. Some of these are already helping us reduce our infrastructure costs, for example, we've recently began switching off our third-party search service that was costing us £££ thanks to the introduction of MongoDB search.

CONS

We've had some recent headaches around the MongoDB connection string changes and issues with whitelisting some of our private VPNs on AWS. But these are minor issues. I personally think the Performance Advisor feature is poor - it would be far better to get a list of all unindexed queries listed by overall usage by time-period, rather than the adhoc suggestions that we see.

Reasons for switching to MongoDB

MongoDB purchased mLabs and so we migrated.

Darshan

Reviewed November 2022

Review for MongoDB

My overall experience with MongoDB is outstanding and I get what I need from MongoDB. I recommend to used MongoDB for database management.

PROS

The most liked part about MongoDB is that it is free to use a tool for databases and suitable tools for developers. MongoDB is a good tool for developers to run the query.

CONS

The least liked part about MongoDB is that it does not use a relational database. It is straightforward to understand the database and flow.

Alex Danilo

Information Technology and Services, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed June 2020

MongoDB review, a great, secure, and flexible tool to store your data.

Installing, set it up, and link it with some backends applications. Customizing hooks, and triggers. Use of CRUD requests.

PROS

MongoDB is a great and fresh database server that allows you to create and use non-relational databases, that means; you can store the data in JSON format object. Being an amazing and handy tool that will be compatible with almost every type of development. Moreover, MongoDB features cloud services, allowing you to create and use cluster and triggers, also a tool for monitoring. Furthermore, Mongo uses hooks systems that offer you the option of use CRUD requests and customize the behavior of your database and the way that your models interact.

CONS

For novices or junior developers, the setup of mongo and its services will be hardy, being essential have some basic knowledge about how MongoDB and the non-relational databases work. For this scenario, MongoDB has a complete, and handy Documentation that explains every service and gives you examples about using the databases and its services.

Reviewed September 2022

Next generation database

Overall, it is the best database ever. I worked with Graph Database, and SQL Database. But I most like MongoDB.

PROS

Unlike, SQL databases, we can store direct JSON object in MongoDB. Also, can store mapping values in one collection. e.g. we can store all property related to a user in one document.

CONS

Nothing for dislike. In MongoDB, We can not be mapped with 2 collections.

Reviewed July 2018

Powerful data base that allows high performance, continuous growth and high availability in storage

When working with this database, the expansion became easier and much more economical than the relational data base due to the horizontal scaling, distributing the load across all the nodes, which allowed the organization to store many more data and perform queries. manufacturing very quickly

PROS

Queries can be made quickly because the data is connected and interlaced thanks to the ID that is given to each document, the search is simpler; in addition, it has the facility to balance the loads which allows a better storage of files, it does not have to pay for the license, it contains a high security with advanced user management, the semi-structured or structured databases can be easily adapted, you can program the tasks, you have tools for the analysis of the data, using this data base the neck of bottles generated in the relational databases is completely eliminated

CONS

When running mongoldb uses all the free RAM which works as the cache, when the amount of data exceeds 100GB it usually has performance problems, when making a copy the verification and the durability is committed, when making a writing on the base of data the same is blocked which drastically reduces the concurrence

Tarak