All Basecamp Reviews

Reviewed December 2020

We use it every day!

Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2021

I always come back to Basecamp

We have three sites. What Basecamp has provided is the unification of messages and tasks across all sites. It has added transparency that is invaluable to all of our team. We can keep important documents. Onboarding videos and other useful information. No more scraps of paper or post-it notes on peoples desks. It provides real accountability for everyone on the team. So simple to use which means 100% user adoption. Everyone loves Basecamp and we have tried every PM software out there. Basecamp is the best in the business!

PROS

When you first start using basecamp, two things strike you the most. It’s clean super tight interface and the lack of some common functions. I see both of these things as a positive. This might seem odd but you soon realise that the makers at Basecamp are uncompromising in their relentless pursuit of keeping you efficient. No bloat. No complication. These all adds up to adoption by the whole team. Which for me is the most important thing. You can have a perfect project management system, but if no one uses it. It’s useless. Basecamp’s gets everything on the same page.

CONS

I would love the app to give you persistent reminders for tasks! Snooze for 5 mins etc.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

It had everything we needed and nothing we didn't.

Jason

Design, 2-10 employees

Making project management easier

Overall, Basecamp is a solid product that I use almost daily to manage projects. I haven't had any major issues with the software but would like to be able to easily reference tips and tricks to improve my workflow.

PROS

The ability to collaborate with other people on my team on task management is critical to making sure the work is done on time. Basecamp also allows me to communicate with clients and vendors on project specifics tasks and goals which means less time writing emails and more time getting things accomplished.

CONS

The user interface is a little too bare-bones, and things aren't always intuitive. I would like to see more tips on how to set projects up and manage them properly.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

More clients were using basecamp already.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

I had more clients that were using Basecamp, so it made sense to be on the same platform as them.

Reviewed July 2018

Nearly great but not quite

We felt that the "all in one" nature of the software was great, but beyond our initial tests we found it lacking in adaptability to fitting into the way WE work, (it wants you to wholly adopt their approach and we felt that there was an internal resistance to that development style) - therefore we abandoned the platform and looked for alternatives.

PROS

For years we have been looking for an all in one project and task management system to use with our business. And BaseCamp is so nearly it, it has most of the features you'd expect but presents them in a different way to most other task tracking systems. On the positive side, it's easy to use, friendly to the eye and everything is where it should be. It has some nifty features that you can easily become over-reliant on that aren't present in other management software tools. One recent addition was the Hill Chart where you plot a task on an "planning hill" - in a really visual way. This is totally unique and works well, helping you quickly identify the progress of any given task. As a project manager, this is a very useful way of seeing where everything currently "is at"

CONS

Onto the Cons: For us, we found that the software was too verbose in its approach, it has a work log system where each user is expected to fill in a diary of what they have done today - sure, this can be switched off in the options, but the regularity of BaseCamp e-mailing you is far too high as a default. By default you're constantly managing e-mails from the system (which is precisely what is is meant to eliminate!) Once you disable these notifications, we felt that the software starts to lose its impact, our staff started to drift away from it over time and went back to other task tracking methods (such as trello) for different areas of the development. This caused us to reconsider the entire enterprise and look for alternatives, our team just couldn't seem to adopt the (very rigid) way that Basecamp wants you to work.

Jerra L

Consumer Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Task management made super easy

With Basecamp we have been able to achieve an appointment scheduling system for the betterment our service delivery to our clients

PROS

Basecamp is a hit but not a miss. It is simplified, tailored and integrated into an organized easy to use platform. It's comprehensivity stands out for me that it has a range of functionalities that perfectly suit my task management needs. It's straightforward and unified dashboard allow me to keep track of all my clients appointments. Since it is a default communication platform in the salon we use it as a centralized place where we can share new hairstyles and brainstorm on how to achieve each one of it soo it allows for sharing of any file of any format especially pictures which is the most common in our setup. Getting every appointment on calendar helps with scheduling the appointment to make sure there are no double salon appointments on the same time or day

CONS

Honestly I love every bit of Basecamp and have nothing against it

Casey

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Reviewed September 2023

The ultimate collab

Basecamp keeps our team moving on time, step by step. We're more efficient and thorough, and we don't miss any details.

PROS

One thing that's really nice about Basecamp is that the monthly price is the same no matter how many usersthe account will need. This means it's much more affordable especially for larger teams or companies. There's also a version of Basecamp that can be used for free, incase you'd like to try it out first.Setting up Basecamp was almost effortless. The Ul is so intuitive and helpful. Integrating Basecamp with other services is supported and may be done quickly without a complicated setup. Guest accounts are available and they add flexibility. Basecamp keeps all team members updated on events, deadlines, announcements, approvals, etc. Teams can manage projects, tasks, and ideas in one platform.It's looking to be the best collaboration app I've had.

CONS

I'm disappointed to see that time tracking and Gantt charts were not included, however I still think we're thriving with Basecamp. I'd also like to be able to leave our team communication app behind and only use Basecamp.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Zoho projects lacked proper tools and customer support.

Kevin

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed May 2021

Basecamp for Teams

We have started and completed close to 150 projects in Basecamp; crossing every department in our organization. It has helped us keep people informed, keep tasks on target, and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner. Their help system is very detailed. It seems like most reviewers just can not find it. https://3.basecamp-help.com/ We are very pleased with the product, but we want to see more enhancements coming, and more often. The product desperately needs sublists, priorities, milestones, and very tight integration with Office 365. We would also like to see the use of templates. Anything from planning a canoe trip to launching a new retail store would be very helpful. Overall, it is a great product, but we may outgrow it if enhancements are not added. If some of these features do not come soon, it may drive long-standing customers away from the product.

PROS

We have been using Basecamp for 7 years now. What we liked at first was the simple design and speed at which you can learn the product. You can be up, running and have a project underway in less than 10 minutes. It checked all the boxes initially. Simple to use, ability to create project groups and associated tasks, assign users, and dates, and attach files. In Basecamp 3 they added grouped tasks within the parent list, and the ability to assign multiple people to a single task.

CONS

Basecamp needs sublists, priorities, and milstones. They also need to build a native integration completely into Office 365. Instead of fighting it, embrace Office 365 Sharepoint, Onedrive, and Teams.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp was far simpler to use, less expensive, had all the features we needed, and none that we didn't. We just needed a simple to use, and well-thought-out management tool.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Prior to switching the company used a very simple excel list. Excel was too static and not the ideal use of the product.

Maszni

Entertainment, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Good software for building project management

I mainly use it to collaborating on project with my team members which working on the other branches. We can communicate and work on the same task in real-time and making the project collaboration process very effective.

PROS

The feature and menu is perfectly placed in the software dashboard. I can easily find the tools that i need really fast and that has speed up my work progress. All my project and the progress can be tracked by the visual percentage thus make it more easier to know the project level of completion.

CONS

Basecamp tools for task management is somewhat lacking because there are no tools to managing a complex project that need many resources for the project. The software dashboard and overall design is too old and very unappealing compared to other software that has more modern looking software design.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

I have using the Asana trial period, and Basecamp has more to give than Asana and fraction the cost.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Game Changer

At first, I was skeptical that BaseCamp would be any different than other software we used (e.g., Trello & Slack), but the immediate difference when we went live was noticeable. As a company leader, I instantly noticed product market fit as the team embraced using BaseCamp as their preferred means of managing tasks, communication, and projects without top-down pressure. We haven't looked back since and it enabled us to work effectively as an entirely remote team before, during, and after the pandemic.

PROS

Assigning task ownership, deadlines, to-do, and the card management system for kanban/pull processes.

CONS

I want to get more out of the timeline feature. It's a great idea, but I haven't been able to leverage it for project management timeline communication effectively.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

It was challenging to keep track of workflow, deadlines, and communication between team members and projects.

Krizzia

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

"Tons of emails!"

I would definitely use this tool for the next few years or so as it helped shed some light on my tasks. With basecamp, I can rapidly collaborate with my clients and I like that it's fast and not lagging. Updates are real-time and I can easily track my progress throughout the day. Hopefully, the emails get fewer. It's just terrible most of the time.

PROS

As a VA freelancer, I am overloaded with tasks every day on my plate. Good thing basecamp happened because its UI is so simple for a first-timer and I can easily navigate the tool and its nooks and crannies. The features, especially Campfire and Shared Files/ Docs, have been very helpful as I have to communicate daily to my clients and it's crucial that they see the amount of work that I've done every day for their ease.

CONS

I can't thread comments. I get lost every time I track my clients' instructions about some tasks needed for the day. Also, there are too many emails in my inbox, it's a burden already because it results in overlooking the most important ones.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Trello is a little bit complicated and confusing.

Reviewed August 2023

Task management

Helped me in project management and other quality assurance role with my team members for and effective outcome

PROS

Base camp helps in task management,chat real time within team members,truck project and also notify users or team of any project to be done

CONS

It is okay to use just need time to understand and navigate through the interface for effective collaboration

Reason for choosing Basecamp

It’s okay he best to use for a project management

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Figured that basecamp is much more easier to use with it advantage to the firm

Christopher

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed August 2019

Gather around the fire, Basecamp is here!

Basecamp felt fun to use and really made us feel that we were optimizing our workflows in terms of assigning tasks and work flows.

PROS

Basecamp's user interface has changed over the years and has become for easier for clients and client facing individuals. Basecamp became a part of a sales pitch in terms of giving access to clients to a platform where we were accessible and there to help them.

CONS

Basecamp has a lot of bells and whistles that are not immediately apparent. We did have to do a little digging under the hood in order to take advantage of some key features!

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp's friendly user interface and accessible onboarding features made it easier for users at my previous organization to adopt the platform. I would recommend this to any budding business who wants to manage workloads/workflows and keep their client engaged and excited about the service being provided!

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Basecamp was an easier platform for us to engage clients and keep everyone on the same page! Trello felt a little outdated in terms of having swim lanes for each task.

Lawrence

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2019

The hub for all great quality projects

Our experience with Basecamp has been very positive. It has been a greatly important tool for the management of efficient and timely projects. The features within Basecamp have been positively used by the vast majority of our clients and create a really collaborative and team-like feel around the projects.

PROS

The best thing about Basecamp is that it provides a secure and easily accessible central hub for your project. It is easy to invite all key project stakeholders and has features that allow for quick and easy discussion around the project, easy communications of important notices and action points and acts as a central storage place that gives everyone oversight to essential project documents and files. Basecamp also provides an accurate project timeline based around the actions of the individuals who use it, meaning that assists with project traceability and track. In addition it will also send automated reminders to the inboxes of those registered which is a fantastic feature for keeping on top of all project details. These reminder emails can be customised to specific individuals which means you can easily reach/remind/engage with the action point owner.

CONS

The main frustration with Basecamp is the updating of personnel profiles when the original creator has left the company. For example, I have needed to update the job titles and email addresses associated with people for accounts I have inherited after my predecessor has left the company. However, this action is blocked as I was not the original creator which was highly frustrating.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

We chose Basecamp due to it's referenceability with a lot of US businesses, as the majority of our clients are US-based. We also preferred the look and feel of the tool when we took out a trial period.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed January 2020

Basecamp is the best all user portal!

Our team has always been collaborative but with Basecamp used as a tool, we have been able to increase our collaborative spirit. In addition, we have been able to accomplish projects and tasks faster because it gives us a way to share which piece we are working on and thus eliminating duplication.

PROS

I love Basecamp! I think it is a great software for keeping tabs on projects and people you work with. It is a collaborative space for users to update each other on what parts of the project they are working on or finishing up. It gives our team the balance needed to ensure no one is working on the same thing or on overlapping projects. It has been a huge asset and we have all loved watching the progression of projects and campaigns we are working on. It has many settings so you can really set it up based on how your team would best thrive.

CONS

One con is that this product could easily turn into a micromanaging tool for bad managers and leaders. When utilized properly it will do wonders for your team but if overused it could be a huge pain point and stressor for employees. They allow an option to have your team give a daily summary of their tasks and I could easily see that going wrong if used by the wrong manager.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

I have previously used OneDrive and I think it could have been a great tool for our team but Basecamp is just better structured. OneDrive has limitless possibilities I think and Basecamp has a more structured layout that makes it easier for me as a supervisor to control and shape to best fit my team.

Terrance

Management Consulting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2020

Recommended - Use it daily

We use Basecamp almost on a daily basis. It is fantastic for managing our team and different partners. Our operations side has also been thrilled with the lists that Basecamp provides. Makes it easy for managers to see what has been completed

PROS

Basecamp is well suited for project management. I've used Trello historically but it never had the same degree of functionality. I love the fact that I can have lists, easily collaborate with others and make it almost like a task force that I can assign to various people on our tea.m It was easy enough to implement and also great if you need to hit the ground running since the learning curve is virtually non existant.

CONS

I use Basecamp 2 and the part I like least about the software is that within the cards itself, I can't @person to provide updates. I can assign various cards to specific people but can't call out specific individuals in those cards.

Reason for choosing Basecamp

Trello is limited to kanban boards. We needed to have different views and basecamp was able to provide that at a cost that we could afford.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Features and functionality. Trello is great if you like the kanban approach but we needed something that had more features.

Shannon

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2021

Feature Rich and Effective for Project Management

I signed up for Basecamp to work within a client's Basecamp processes, and now I use it to manage most everything that I work on in collaboration with others. It makes a lot of sense and is intuitive once you accustom to how the projects and to-do lists work.

PROS

The ability to add clients to a project and hide them from information within the project is SO handy. We use that feature a lot for internal to-dos and managing the client without them seeing behind-the-scenes.

CONS

To-do lists are pretty basic. You can assign to a person and add a date, but if you are used to feature-rich todo lists (embedded images, color coding, sub-checklists in a to-do, etc) then you will be disappointed. And although I find the "me" tab easy and intuitive, when we add new members to a project they almost universally struggle in the first weeks to really use Basecamp to its highest functionality.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

I switched over to Basecamp because it's what my clients were using. That said, I still use Trello for my personal projects and there is a lot of Trello functionality that is done better over there, and vice-versa. It really depends on the project whether I use Trello or Basecamp.

Chuck

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2021

Basecamp is irreplaceable! Trust me, we actually tried too Lol!

We use base camp for each department. Every team has their own project. Within each project is every teams important training documents documents, files, and weekly tasks. We use the ping feature for group messages. It has made file sharing very easy. Many of our documents have to be referenced by several different at various times throughout the year. Basecamp makes it simple to keep up with these documents.

PROS

Basecamp has been an amazing product for us for years now! It allows us to manage projects in events by keeping to do lists, files, and instructions all in one place.The team I manage uses it to assign tasks, communicate between team members and keep up with conversations so we can reference them later, and , keep track of files and receipts. Every document and system that our team members need access to can be attained in one place. There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it.

CONS

There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it. There are really only two things that I dislike about Basecamp but I’ve learned to live with them for now. 1.). There is a great variety of ways to send communication. You can send a ping (which is kind of like an instant message), You can make a comment on the general message board of each project, you can comment on the calendar item, you can comment on the task item itself, and you can comment on individual files you add. At first it seems real handy but once you start adding multiple projects it can sometimes be difficult to go back and figure out where a conversation happened. Thankfully the search icon works rather well in these instances but not always. The way we have gotten around this is to make sure our Team is clearly instructed on what features we will use to communicate various kinds of information. 2.) there is a feature called haystack. This functions as your personal inbox letting you know what due dates are approaching, what tasks were recently assigned, and what conversations have happened recently that you need to be part of. However, once you click on an item it disappears immediately from your inbox. So when you see something important, you need to respond or add a personal to do immediately. I wish it didn’t delete until you told it to delete like a normal email inbox. This way you could come back to the message and deal with it at a better time.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

We originally used base camp for years. About four years ago we tried office 365. We found that the same small problems we had with Basecamp, we also had with Microsoft. However they were much more confusing. Unlike base camp, Microsoft separates its features and to several different apps. For files they have one drive. For communication they have teams. And for everything else they have SharePoint which kind of combined them all together. What we found was this was more confusing for our team as a whole especially for the project managers themselves. With Basecamp you select the project you want to work on and everything you need for that project is there. The mobile app pretty much has most of the same features as the desktop version which is a plus. We kept teams for about a year and then went back to base camp. We still have an office 365 account but use it mostly for Word and Excel documents and online questionnaires

Melanie Latrelle