• Pros

• "I liked that it was easy to set up and get going. The user interface was simple and I was able to teach others to use it quickly."

• "The software seemed very user friendly. The templates were clean and simple yet eyecatching."

• "It's people friendly. It's easy to insert notes and fast learning. "

• Cons

• "Sometimes I had to go back in and resave something because it didn't seem to take, but that could have very well been on my computer's end and not at the fault of Volusion."

• "The software itself did not have any cons for me."

• "I like everything about Volusion! Everything is wonderful."

Browse Volusion Reviews

Michael from Custom Earpiece

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Volusion has given us a great web site

We have been using Volusion since 2011. It has never failed us. Never has a customer or a potential customer called with a complaint about any aspect of our web site. We have hundreds of products, and thousands of customers. It is so easy to create new products, new pages, new categories, and arrange them as I wish. Volusion ia also handling our PPC accounts, creating and maintaining ads, with weekly reports. Overall, I would recommend Volusion to anyone looking to create a digital storefront.

Pros

The stability. There's never been an issue with connectivity.

Cons

There are not very many options for offering my customers discounts. Coupon codes are very restricted.

Very robust software but an outdated dashboard

This site had a lot of features I loved and were automatically included. Multi-level pricing, customer ticketing, ability to receive multiple payments against an invoice. Features that I no longer have on Shopify or have to pay extra for.

Pros

The best thing about Volusion is that many of the features are automatically included in their packages. Unlike Shopify where you have to add other apps to do things you want it to do. We were on Volusion about three years before switching to Shopify and it wasn't our choice to switch.

Cons

It wasn't easy for my staff to learn and the dashboard isn't very user-friendly or aesthetically pleasing like it's competitors. There aren't many free themes that make your site look amazing so you really need to pay for customization unless you know how to do it yourself. Also, downtime. It didn't happen often but when it did, you just have to wait until it comes back up.

Maggie from Production Plus Graphics, Inc.

Nice starter for e-commerce or small inventory options

Overall experience was middle of the road. If you have a simpler website this will work okay for you, but for the industry I was in it was not able to handle the complexity of variations in the products for sale. When it came time to create a second website our company went with a different e-commerce platform that could handle it with a better user experience (both consumers buying on the website and administrators/customer service processing orders from the website's back-end dashboards).

Pros

I liked that they offered custom website design services so you know their design will work with optimally with their platform. Even though wait time were sometimes long, technical support also helped you with setup and testing different configurations to make sure it was working correctly or in the way you are hoping it to. The ability to mass download and update product information fields, including shipping, SEO, and pricing using Excel files was a huge plus.

Cons

Features for price differences on different options is too linearly set up, and the options show the user the price difference as (+/-)$0.00 to the base price shown, not the actual final price, which is confusing to many users. It was also difficult to create strict multi-variant pricing rules for products in which there was more than one option that effected final price (e.g. size and color).

July 2016

Robert E. from American City Business Journals

Industry: Publishing

July 2016

Volusion is my only choice for SMB Ecommerce

I have owned Ecommerce sites since 2004 and Volusion is the best service for my needs. Excellent library of features and very easy to use. Integrates with numerous marketplaces as well.

Pros

- Ability to input COGS (the price I'm paying a manufacturer/supplier). - Ability to automate orders to be sent to vendors - Import/Export functionality works very well - Provide important features like the ability to setup redirects, edit your robots.txt file, etc.

Cons

- Volusion does offer SEO-friendly URLs but the naming convention applied could be cleaner - Volusion's free website templates are good, but very simple. If you would like a more advanced template their custom development fees are costly

Ryan from SCS International Inc.

It's full featured, but has fallen behind to more modern competitors

Pros

Very nuanced. Product options, shipping options, categories, etc. provide many options for customizing your store without the need for 3rd party integrations for added cost.

Cons

When issues arise, there is no email support, limited phone support and a live chat window (using Intercom) that just doesn't cut it. When a store goes down or has an issue, it's important to know exactly what the status of that issue is, and a live chat that can sometimes take an hour or more for a reply is insufficient. Also, bandwidth costs are VERY expensive and bills can add up quickly for established stores.

OK if you aren't looking to do much.

Pros

It has built in inventory and purchase orders, so you can get away with just using Shipstation for shipping. If you are selling a small assortment of products on your own site only, this might work for you.

Cons

API is an absolute disaster. You can't find an agency to work with the API because it's proprietary, so you're limited to who is already partnered with Volusion. Do not, under any circumstances, use Volusion's native eBay and Amazon integrations. In fact, if you want to list products on a marketplace, it's best to use any other shopping cart. Parent-child products instead of swatch-linked and organized product variations. Inflexible because there are no metafields that you can create. It's either their predefined fields or nothing at all.

Good, but costs build up fast

It served its purpose early on when I was a small ecommerce store, but I outgrew it much too quickly.

Pros

Cons

While there were several small issues with its ability to interact with other services, my primary concern was that the bills just kept skyrocketing. My "usage" was reaching a point I had to find another option because the additional fees each month were astounding. Support was less than helpful of supportive of options to help mitigate the issues. Ultimately I ended up finding another provider.

Sue from somethinspecial.com

I have been with Volusion for over 10 years and have never been disappointed.

Pros

Continuous uptime, fast & friendly customer service and tons of features to customize your site. I tried the SEO plan to optimize my site and my organic search is up dramatically, well worth every cent.

Cons

Can be somewhat daunting to get set up, but you'll get it. UI can be a bit confusing, but the Help Center is really easy to find and get all the answers you need.

Aaron from Action Industrial Supply

Industry: Wholesale

I do not recommend using Volusion

Pros

Exporting data out and importing it back in is pretty easy, and pretty fast, but that is the only Pro I can think of...

Cons

It's not free itself, its a hosted, paid solution. You have very little control of the codebase, which highly interferes with customizations and SEO.

rebuilt our website through volusion website and CRM

having the website and CRM in one place made everything extremely easy and streamlined.

Pros

I liked how the website was connected to the CRM system. Made it easy to go to one place to do everything I needed to do and could really calculate conversions

Cons

It was a little difficult to design the website exactly the way we wanted it to be, tho that may have just been my bosses doing.

Tanya from Advanced Alternatives Center

In over 10 years with Volusion my overall experience has been fantastic!

This software has allowed me to run a successful online business for more than 10 years.

Pros

I love everything about Volusion. The software is easy to use and it does everything I need it to do. In my 20+ years in business online I have had a lot of ecommerce carts and nothing even comes close to what Volusion does. Their support is excellent, although at times you do have to wait to speak to customer service, but they always resolve my issues quickly. They have even at times fixed things for me that is not really in their job description. My site was recently redesigned with a new template and it is so much easier to navigate and I have and so many compliments from long time customers. It is hands down the best shopping cart I have used in 20 years. The help files they provide are very helpful and I am able to resolve many issues myself. They are constantly adding new features that make my day to day life easier.

Cons

At this time I can only think of one issue that I wish were different. There are a couple reviews from customers that are inaccurate and unfair. In these cases I like to reach out and type a response. The software allows you to do that but you cannot create spaces between what they have typed and what I type. Not only will it not allow me to start a new paragraph, there is zero space between their response and mine. Although I am a perfectionist and wish I could create additional spaces so they can be read easier, it is definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Sunny from Burgoon Company

Volusion for the Workplace

Great. It allowed for me to build a sleek and simple trailers site.

Pros

I like Volusion because of how it is set up in the background/Admin area. It is layed out where you can easily find things and keep your website info well organized. I switched to Volusion from Wix, and was able to teach myself how to use it. It allowed for more customizing that Wix did, and the company I work for is currently still using Volusion.

Reasons for Choosing Volusion

I had looked into Volusion for some time and talked with experts from Volusion. I used a free trial and really enjoyed what I saw so we made the switch!

Maybe not the best choice, but not a bad one

It is not bad, but probably you will find better options

Pros

I liked that it is easy to set up a fast and more or less professional looking ecommerce stores. And then sales follow.

Cons

As a customer I felt that they were more about developing their other platform for big companies (mozu) than taking care of updating Volusion. Templated where looking dated, it could not be multilanguages, and I had to pay strong extras to add some basic features. Anycase, it is a good platform, customer service is very attentive and I had good sales results with them.

Marie from http://elementoutfitters.com

Volusion is good platform for small business.

Overall it as been an asset to our business.

Pros

It is easy to set up and get started. You can quickly load products via spread sheets and process orders quickly

Cons

It doesn't offer as many integrations as other similar products. Customizing your design is difficult and it is missing some features that would be nice - such as advance reports and coupon functionality.

Kristen from AAACCVB

All-In-One e-Commerce Solution!

We did extensive research on an e-commerce platform. Volusion blows competitors out of the water. Easy to use and professional tool.

Pros

Features social media integration, very user friendly, advanced shopping cart features. It is affordable and there are no transaction fees. It is also mobile-friendly! Easy to create a professional, custom design. Special themes cost extra, but even the free themes are great!

Cons

The customer support and support resources are not the most helpful. Sometimes you have to spend some time digging through the support to find your answer. There are also bandwidth overage fees, so make sure to plan for that.

Jeff from RTR Kids Rugs

Spectacular experience with Volusion over the last 8 years since opening my online business!

Pros

It does everything I need it to do to run my online business http://www.rtrkidsrugs.com. It was easy to setup & it works perfectly! I like the content management aspect & ease of use! I have been involved in all aspects of setting it up & using the software & I have been well pleased.

MAYRA from WFS

Industry: Wholesale

Easy to navigate

I like how we I can navigate easily and easy to lean the system

Pros

It's people friendly. It's easy to insert notes and fast learning.

Cons

The system is slow sometimes when there is system maintenance

Heather from Wearable Junk & Graphic Stuff

Volusion eCommerce

I was looking for a new eCommerce platform. I have tried several and had pretty much decided to use Volusion. The software was easy to use, the templates were clean and simple, the overall look was for me. Then, their customer service agents started calling me, emailing me, and texting me NON STOP. I have been receiving communications from them 3-4 time each day since I started my trial period. It is very annoying, disrupted, and time consuming. I am the type of person who will ask for help if I need it. The incessant communications were very disruptive to my schedule. I will not be using this software.

Pros

Cons

The software itself did not have any cons for me.

Brien from Retail

Used them for 15 years and thinking about looking for a replacement

Over all volusion has been good but year after year I see no real innovations. We are using there V1 version and wanted to try there V2 but they are starting from the bottom up and it lack a lot of the v1 basics. I would tell anyone wait till volusion gets V2 done and has all the features before going with it.

Pros

Stable WYSIWYG Editor Easy to embed Youtube videos on product pages Good customizable Order screen

Cons

There is a Lack of standard features that other shopping carts have already or have as a addon. NO reorder button for returning customers. NO full address correction. NO per item shipping restrictions. NO built in blog. Phone order page you can not search for a product and add it you have to enter it all product info. Can not make custom order status. NO UPS iGlobal

I have operated 8 different websites out of Volsion and I enjoyed working with the platform. Support was great when needed, and website are clean and functional.

Pros

Volusion is easy to setup, add products, and use. There are some great features, such as CSV imports/exports and built in CRM. For the small business you have many tools at your disposal, and it makes it easy view and process orders.

Cons

The templates are a little difficult to modify, but not impossible.

September 2013

Stephanie Miles

September 2013

Create an E-Commerce Store

Small business owners and solo entrepreneurs who aren’t sure where to begin developing an e-commerce outpost can utilize Volusion’s tools to guide them through the entire process. As an A-to-Z e-commerce solution, Volusion offers everything that a business owner could need to sell his or her products online. This includes website design services, credit card processing features, and marketing tools. Volusion’s credit card processing features are especially impressive, given what a headache it can be for a solo entrepreneur to set up a payment processing system on his or her own. Upon joining Volusion, users are encouraged to submit a single application to apply for the option to accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. Merchants can take advantage of direct deposits, and a real-time payment gateway that is exceptionally convenient. As a result, businesses that display the provided “Verified Volusion Merchant” seal on their websites can expect to see increased sales almost immediately.

Pros

The all-in-one system handles every aspect of building an e-commerce store.

Cons

Only merchants with Gold and Platinum plans have API access.

Easy to use ecommerce software with limitations to customization

Modern looking website with a simple, easy checkout

Pros

This software is great if you want a quick solution for a modern looking website with ecommerce capability. Easy to set up, not expensive, modern checkout (single page) and mobile friendly. It is also easy to edit the design with direct access to a HTML editor if you wish, or a WYSIWYG if that is easier for you.

Cons

If you have a lot of inventory, or want to customization the products and design, there are limitations to doing so. Also the web interface for customizing products, designing your site, can take awhile to learn and be slightly buggy. Only one person should be logged in and making changes at a time.

roxy from Automotive

They need a long way to go

Pros

At first i was excited to hear about volusion, there were compared to shopify..... who ever made that comparison i wonder if they ever even used either system ???? I did not use volusion for very long because with in the first 20 min of singing up i realized they had nothing i needed, there interrogations were like 4 apps, their customer service was great they did try to help me and followed up with me about what i needed from the site. but they just didnt have what i need. (i sell on multiple platforms) if you are usinsing this for a non ECommerce site,i think this may work for you. I do not recommend this for stores with goods/ selling ect.

Cons

I did not like that customer serivice wanted me to tell they what they need to add to their site.. they also said they did have other apps, but they were not online and we could "talk about them" not a fan of that.

Greg from Fox Dealer

Volusion may have been one of the first but its starting to come in last.

Pros

A good platform to launch a site on with ease.

Cons

There are just too many competitors that do this better than Volusion does.

Faizan from Hfarazm Software LLC

Volusion Summary

Its an average software and needs improvements to become as popular as BigCommerce and Shopify.

Pros

- Its easy to use and customization is also very easy. - Its user friendly in building website. - Its less costly than other paid website builders for beginners.

Cons

- While using card payments you have to pay for SSL. - Its not open source that's why customization is limited.

Moaz from VB

A solid platform but lacks some major features

Pros

Volusion is a solid platform that help you get your ecommerce stores up and running in no time.

Cons

IMO it is getting outdated and they would need a major overhaul if they want to compete in the market. It lacks some of the modern features other platforms offer e.g. cart and checkout APIs for frontend. The templating engine isn't up to date either

Shayne from ReckGear

Simplicity doesn't overcome features.

Latent with many instances where I was unable to customize my site the way I wanted and was frustrating dealing with Cx and hearing that I had to hire a designer to accomplish simple goals.

Pros

Super simple CRM software that is quick to deploy and set up. It has many tiers of pricing for all budgets, and simple dashboard interface.

Cons

Past the simplicity of it, it doesn't leave much to cater to each businesses unique brand.. It requires a high tier to attain customization levels that meet your standards. And is another solution that doesn't allow you to take your hard work with you should you choose to leave.

Reasons for Choosing Volusion

For the simplicity to start eCommerce.

Jill from Safetec of America, Inc.

A nice option for eCommerce Businesses

Pros

I like that it is an all inclusive solution for eCommerce Storefronts. You can customize nearly everything from start to finish, which is a very nice feature.

Cons

There is a HUGE learning curve when working on this software. It took quite a long time for me to learn it and become proficient.

Lots of great features right out of the box

Pros

Lots of great features come as standard and aren’t an optional paid extra like other solutions. Has a lot of great integrations.

Cons

There can be some confusion in the backend working out where certain settings are.

Love It

Pros

I really like the fact that Volusion is very user friendly. Also the customer service is fantastic very friendly and on the ball.

Cons

I like everything about Volusion! Everything is wonderful.

Jeff from Quick To Impress Inc.

Great Solution to Start Selling Fast

Overall, Volusion is clean, simple and does the job. You can sell a few products or thousands, it will feel just as easy to use. I look forward to whats coming in the next few months.

Pros

Volusion is a great solution for those who want to sell online and use something else other than Shopify. It offers a lot of great functionality and has an easy to use interface.

Cons

More customization and more developer capabilities.

Diane from davdi

Quick and Easy and Productive eCommerce Platform

Pros

The free trial allows users to see how quick and easy this software is to use. It may be better suited to small companies but seems to have enough functionality to be used by larger ecommerce sellers as well. Customer Service is excellent.

Cons

A bit tricky to use while selling on eBay or Amazon.

August 2014

Ryan from Unlisted, because Volusion may disable our store

August 2014

Easy to setup, the worst customer service and support

We have been on Volusion for 4 years. A little over a year ago they released AMAZON, EBAY, and GOOGLE STORES integration. For a year now we have had trouble tickets open on ALL 3 integrations. We have logged all the issues and even explained how to resolve them, but they honestly do not care to (this actually came from one of the CS managers.) As long as they continue to sign people up, they do not have to be quick to respond to these issues. BY far the worst customer service experience I've ever had with any similar service. We have been working on re-platforming for 6 months so that we can leave them and never look back. Honestly, STAY AWAY at all costs.

Matison from woodlands elite

customizable

This E-commerce platform gives you templates to choose from so you can make your website the way you want. It is easily customizable. Also, the website offers a free trial period so you are able to test it out before paying monthly.

Adam from AbilitySEO Inc.

Great theme options

Pros

I liked that you could buy volusion themes from someplace like envato and get a really attractive site.

Cons

It's been a while since I used this software, but at the time it was really not intuitive to setup. Complicated.

Gavin from KapscoMoto.com

Money Grab

Volusion seems okay at first but you slowly find out its a big money grab. They offer very small bandwidth and then charge extreme amounts for overages.

James from JDUB Group, Inc.

Industry: Computer Networking

There are better and worse solutions

Pros

This software was in the mid range of costs for hosted eCommerce solution and there are man features and plug ins that can be used with this software.

Cons

Volusion is not the simplest platform to set-up and configure. There are many steps to do things that big commerce doesn't involve. They also want you to purchase SSL's from them at a huge mark-up.