All BambooHR Reviews

Kurt

Construction, 501 - 1,000 employees

Used unspecified

Reviewed March 2024

BambooHR Review: BambooHR The First & Last Solution For HR Needs.

Jeremy

Human Resources, 51-200 employees

Reviewed March 2020

BambooHR Turns a Small Business into a Big Business

I enjoyed it more than other recruiting software I've used. It makes work easier and helps me be a manager instead of a paper pusher.

PROS

I personally like that BambooHR has different portals for its users. They've built a database that allows employees to: 1. Maintain their own records (whether the company sends or user uploaded); track time off earned, sick days used, and hours worked; while allowing the user to sign documents easily electronically; and 2. Makes being an HR manager, easy. What I mean is, creating records (employees or temps) and ensuring they have all the blocks checked (background ran, drug test paperwork properly filled out, and any other documentation needing signed) within the timeframe needed to start working - is tracked, maintained, and recorded for you... so all in all, eliminates the monotony of HR and time wasted on paperwork while assisting managers/employees in ensuring proper compliance.

CONS

Well, I still had to scan any documents that weren't created or automated through the software and label them. For example, I work at a satellite location; the warehouse I staff for has a basketball court out back for employees to use on their break. I had to create a document that stated employees for my agency had to make sure they were clocked out, that they were responsible for any risk of injury and that the company and staffing agency would not be held liable for any resulting injury that may occur. The rest of the staffing agency didn't need this so I still had to print out 50 copies, have each employee sign one, upload it, file it in the employee file in the software, label it, then give the copy back to the employee. This really is not an issue unless if turnover is high, this could get annoying.

Reasons for switching to BambooHR

Tempworks was costly and would charge for the smallest customer service help. The software was clunky and was confusing to keep track of employees. Too much time wasted on checking and unchecking employees assigned and the "hot lists" was time consuming to manage.

Reviewed January 2024

Great HR Software for Small Businesses

Overall, this is a great HR application for small businesses. There are a lot of very useful out-of-box features available, and the pricing model doesn't change if you are under a certain number of users so there is room for growth without continuously increasing your costs. Compared to other HR applications we researched, this was the most user-friendly for the best price. If you are looking to automate some of your HR work, I highly recommend implementing BambooHR. It has greatly improved the organization of our HR processes.

PROS

BambooHR is an easy to use and very comprehensive HR software that offers a lot of valuable and high-use out-of-box features. Our initial primary uses of the software were aggregation and consolidation of personnel information, PTO tracking, and general communication of company announcements to the team. As we got further into the product offerings, we also began to heavily utilize the onboarding, offboarding, and recruiting features, all of which were previously done using very manual processes. BambooHR allowed us to discontinue using spreadsheets and other manual forms for very common and basic HR functions, while housing them under one roof. It also provided our employees with a easier way to contribute to their own personnel profiles, and while as request and track PTO.

CONS

To properly utilize BambooHR according to your companies specific HR processes, there is a lot of individual and time-intensive setup involved. The platform is fairly customizable, but only if you are willing to invest significant time into configuring the features. While we expected a significant time investment into setting up the application, we were disappointed to learn that we would not have a dedicated account manager to help us with the setup process. We had to learn everything about the platform on our own through the BambooHR help portal, or by calling the customer service number and waiting for a representative to be available. We also experience a price increase only a few month after signing up for the service. We were also disappointed to learn that the integrations with Google and Slack are very limited, and while some information can be passed between the systems, we needed to customize some of the API calls in order to share more useful information with the team. There are definitely some limitations to their integrations.

Reason for choosing BambooHR

BambooHR has the best features and the best price.

Reasons for switching to BambooHR

Pingboard had very limited features and they were implementing a 700% cost increase.

Max

Clean and Robust HR Software

PROS

I like the ease of use best. It's very easy to navigate and complete the task at hand.

CONS

So far I have no complaints about the software, it has been great!

Reasons for switching to BambooHR

More robust for HR to include hiring visibility

Edem

Food Production, 2-10 employees

The Recommended Go-to Platform for Businesses

Through this platform, I am able to know what is happening to my business. If I am making progress or experiencing shortfalls. Also, my business has seen some level of seriousness since this system was implemented. Overall, I will say it is a great platform

PROS

BambooHR has some great integrations. For example, the platform allows me to know when my co-workers are out of the office or even celebrating a birthday.By far, Bamboo is a great platform.

CONS

One time, i had some challenges and I needed customer support, but the response was a bit late. I don't really know if it's still like that. But I still got the help I needed.

Reason for choosing BambooHR

I found their BambooHR platform quite easy to navigate even before I started using it. Again, I watched a YouTube video for better understanding, before using it.

Aisha

Human Resources, 1 employee

Good product

Like the product for starting companies, but as your processes and strategy become more detailed, I am not sure if Bamboohr can manage properly as a stand-alone platform. Like the HRIS, the rest of the features are not robust

PROS

Love the simplicity of the HRIS system to allow for tracking personnel

CONS

The payroll system and time management are not as robust as it needs to be. Unlike optional features such as performance or applicant tracking that are not critical to risk management, the payroll and time management must be up to par to ensure customers are compliant with state regulations, able to identify and correct discrepancies quickly, and able to customize reporting to identify labor cost trends. Unfortunately, the payroll and time tracking doesn't relate.1 Example: We cannot track if meals are being taken or the system does not alert us when someone does not take their required lunch breaks. Depending on state, there are penalties associated with this2 Example: If an employee is scheduled to be terminated on a specific day, they are automatically taken out of the system before ensuring they were paid their last check. States have many different regulations around when a former employee must be paid their final check. We would have to alter the person's last day and final pay date in order to process their last check, which can cause incorrect records if we forget to switch the dates back to correct separation date. If we schedule termination ahead of time, we have no way of tracking who is up for termination soon or no notice that the person was removed from payroll ensuring timely payment. 3 Example: Timetracking is more than just about having the ability to clock in and out with approval. There is very limited reporting that can be pulled to track labor cost

Reviewed March 2024

Cost effective HRIS with some great features. Lacking in others

Overall, BambooHR has been slipping in the last year or so. New packaging/pricing that is worse, customer support stretched thin, features lacking with a roadmap that still misses the mark. This isn't just me saying this, as others are talking about this as well. Their dedicated HR Slack workspace is often just issues, complaints, etc., which mostly are met with radio silence from BambooHR. When we implemented them, I think they were much better than what they have become now. If you are a small business, BambooHR is a great product with their new Core package being my recommendation. If you are even approaching 30, 40, 50+ employees, or are international, I would suggest maybe looking elsewhere.

PROS

I really enjoy many aspects of BambooHR. It is a cost effective solution for small to medium businesses. Great with onboarding/hiring, employee documentation & profiles, UI and navigation, etc. Also, the payroll part of the system has come a long way and is now a well designed feature that is easy to use. Their customer support team, when you can get ahold of them, is fantastic. One of the best things about BambooHR.

CONS

It lacks either features entirely, or lacks complexity of competitors. The ATS and Performance parts are extremely lacking with limited options to customize or enhance. Missing many common features that other platforms have had for many years now. A general theme with BambooHR is that you can only go so deep when it comes to how you can customize things. The two built in surveys they offer, for example, have no option to customize, nor can you run custom surveys at all, which is a shame. Additionally, BambooHR recently decided to completely redo their package and pricing structure and it is not a good change. We are on a grandfathered package that they are going to be dropping support for in some cases. There is no incentive to switch to one of the other packages because one offers less at almost the same cost, and the other adds on 3 features that are either redundant, not really a full feature, or that we already have. Performance was an add-on and is now included with the Pro package, which is way more costly. Customer support team, as mentioned in Pros, is great, but the chat feature is never available anymore and sometimes it feels like they have so many inquiries that they would rather point the finger at other things versus solving problems and working with customers. If you are an international company, BambooHR is extremely lacking in support there. You can tell that BambooHR was built with US employees in mind first and many things just don't work in other countries, or you have to find workarounds. In my opinion, BambooHR has become what I think they have tried to not be, which is a corporate entity selling a product versus selling a mission/vision of setting people free to do great work. They claim to listen to their customer base, but it is clear when talking to other customers that they don't.

Reasons for switching to BambooHR

We wanted to consolidate systems and save on costs

Jessica

Medical Devices, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Ease of use for all our HR needs

We were impressed by the ease of use and implementation. It was an easy transition for our managers and employees and has impacted our HR processes for the better. We use the employee goals and feedback and this has helped us increase our employee satisfaction. The reporting system has been most useful for our accounting and payroll departments.

PROS

We've been most impressed with the ease of use for our company. Using the employee goals and feedback system has helped immensely.

CONS

We have not had any complaints about the system so far after almost a year of use.

Reasons for switching to BambooHR

We needed a more comprehensive HR system.

Jon

Wholesale, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Great for payroll and employee management

I do really like the program a lot. It is worth using and we would purchase it again in a heartbeat. We have used for nearly 3 years, and will continue using. I wish they could improve some things, but it slowly gets better.

PROS

It is wonderful for company announcements, payroll, reporting, employee management, and onboarding. It make life much easier in many ways and gives us a more professional approach and look to the team.

CONS

Employee coaching and project tasking are not great. It really is not good at either of these. Too hard to track, follow, and update. For hiring and onboarding it doesn't sync well with Indeed and we always have issues. Like when rejecting a candidate, we have to manually send an email to every candidate that applies. Time tracking needs some minor tweaking. It would be great if it would auto notify of odd punches and help control OT better. The eNPS program is dumb and not realistic. We changed the questions to the Gallup 13 instead.

Charlie

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

My Experience With BambooHR

PROS

The tool has great onboarding features and offers amazing HR features/

CONS

No issues and BambooHR has been amazing.

Taylor

Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees

Easy & Effective!

PROS

It is really nice having access to all of your benefits information in one spot. It is also very easy to request time off & see everyone else's time-off schedule, which is crucial when planning out future meetings.

CONS

So far, I have no complaints. I have found BambooHR to be very easy to use & convenient for the team as a whole & I have used BambooHR with more than one job - never any issues!

Alexandra

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Will take employee management to the next level!

PROS

BambooHR has saved us a tremendous amount of time from applicant tracking to keeping track of paid time off. It's easy use, and the data that's provided through reports really helps me see the big picture.

CONS

I wish more features were available in the mobile app. Sometimes, I need more information on the go and can't access it.

Lyndsey

Construction, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Small Business Life Saver

It has been so easy to use and implement. Our employees love that they have constant access to PTO/Vacation balances and any forms that they may use. I love the hiring/onboarding systems. They have made my job so much easier. The customer service team is second to none. Always fast responses and everyone has been so friendly and helpful.

PROS

BambooHR has truly helped streamline so many of our systems. As an office manager in a small business, I wear a lot of hats. Being able to keep most of my HR processes in one place has been amazing.

CONS

The time pressure to complete set up in a set amount of time upon initially setting up was not ideal. However, once we were passed that we never looked back.

Gautam

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Reviewed May 2024

BambooHR - very easy to use

Very satisfied as a end user.It quite easy to navigate through and search for other employee info and updates are very easy

PROS

Very easy to use and view the Org hierarchy

CONS

I do not see any pros as being an end users I find it easy to navigate and easy to find the info

Marlene

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Impressive HR Tool

It has been wonderful. The support team is knowledgeable and offers ideas to streamline HR processes.

PROS

It's easy to use and has the ability to organize and streamline HR processes in one great program!

CONS

More robust Hiring Module - allow open positions to be converted to internal offers.

Reason for choosing BambooHR

Our CTO highly recommended the product.

Reviewed July 2020

Great HR Information System for medium size business

Moved all employment contract management online, leave management, onboarding, offboarding, personal details maintenance through self serve functionality, process workflows and performance management.

PROS

Modern HR information system with great broad feature set for medium size businesses. Excellent for leave management, request, approval and tracking.

CONS

Is based out of the US and orientation is by default to US customers. Works for Australia customers but is a bit short on handling contractors, more permanent focused, and support hours do not cover Australia timezone which has caused some issues.

Reason for choosing BambooHR

Great user interface, custimisable, simple to use and configure, right featureset and complexity for our size of organisation.

Reasons for switching to BambooHR

BambooHR offered us so much more in terms of features and functionality than we would ever invest to build internally. The user experience was modern and easy to use from signing up a new staff member, to onboarding them and maintaining their HR and Leave records. Removed significant risk from process errors, failed notification of employment changes and record keeping for signed contracts. Moved from paper to fully online!

Keith

Food Production, 201-500 employees

Reviewed February 2022

Too simple for it's own good

We currently use BambooHR as an HRIS, and previously used it as an ATS. The employee database software is user friendly, but offers no customization. We inevitably switched our ATS to a different software because of these same concerns.

PROS

It's very user friendly. You don't need to be very tech savvy to use the various features available in BambooHR.

CONS

There is no customization available. If a feature is not available, there is no customization available to help tailor this program to your companies needs.

Reason for choosing BambooHR

It seemed like the most user friendly and offered the best compatibility with our existing programs.

Reasons for switching to BambooHR

We were looking for a program that ties all of our systems into one program (HRIS/ATS/Sales Database and compatibility with ADP Payroll).

Tracie

Libraries, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2022

This brought us into the modern world

This has been a game changing addition to our department and I don't know what I would do without it. The customer service is better than any other vendor I have EVER worked with.

PROS

We are a small HR team and tracked everything on spreadsheets. This took an exorbitant amount of staff time to keep updated. I love the time tracking, our mother organization deducts leave one month after it is taken and so no one ever really knew how much leave they had. The electronic signature feature has been a game changing time saver. Supervisors being able to view employee documents at any time without having to come to our main location to pull the heavy paper file has been fantastic. And I always have current data at my fingertips including historical items that we used to have to go wade through old memos to reconstruct.

CONS

There's not much to not love. I wish there were a few more features on the application part. I wish I could have files stored that employees could fill out and forward to us without having to ask us to send them a signature request.

Reason for choosing BambooHR

Customer service, they offered a free trial, user interface, and ease of use

Jenna