• Pros

• "The software is user friendly, very easy to use. "

• "Ease of use, flexibility, easily customized, great price point"

• "I like the ease of use it provides and the ability to customise. There is excellent support and forums with help available."

• Cons

• "Some menu features aren't readily apparent, although they work well once fully understood. "

• "Setting up can be tricky if your not comfortable with installing SQL and other support it requires but there are comprehensive guides and lots of support available. "

• "Initial setup was a hassle but you’re good once you figure it out."

Browse xTuple Reviews

John from Keller Williams Realty Gold

Excellent capabilities, complex to learn, more toward manufacturing and inventory but adaptable

I originally started using Postbooks because I was looking for an accounting system that ran on Fedora Linux that was based on PostgreSQL database since I am a database DBA for Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MySQL (MariaDB). I use Postbooks to run my real estate business even though it is not an exact fit because of familiarity. Once learned, it becomes second nature. I do not use most of the capabilities that xTuple/Postbooks provides. But that is one of the fortes of the software; use what you need and leave the rest alone.

Pros

Free version - I use the Postbooks version since cost is a big factor for me and I don't need most of the features. Adaptable - I used it in a previous business where I had inventory and did some creation of videos on DVDs. It tracked inventory from items used to create the finished DVDs and package, publish, and ship them. I now use it in my real estate business just for accounting. Has many capabilities many of which I do not personally use, but they are there if you need them.

Cons

Complex - because it has so many capabilities, it is complex and can be hard to learn. Documentation can be a bit sparse. Constrained - Forces a work flow which is great for larger business but can make a task tedious for a sole proprietor. CRM - is designed for sales of products which is what this software is designed around. I am now a REALTOR® and the CRM does not fit the model a REALTOR® uses. Too platform specific - It used to run on Fedora and other Linus flavors. Now it is limited to Ubuntu and tends to lag, as Ubuntu does, behind the security updates. It runs on Windows. I now run my database on Linux and have to use a Windows client since there is not a client that runs on Fedora. I suggested to the developers that xTuple/Postbooks should be developed on Linux as a Flatpak project but never heard anything back.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

John - Thanks for reviewing our free PostBooks¿ product. This system was definitely built for manufacturing (and inventory-centric) companies, although plenty of professionals such as yourself have adapted the Accounting and CRM & Sales functionality to suit their needs.

Roland from Quru

Open source ERP that delivers

As a software developer and open source solutions specialist we don't manufacture items and our own product as well as the product from our vendor partners is rather ethereal and so isn't stocked. But once we had attached a "physical" presence to electronically transmitted support contracts and longer term consulting engagements, receiving in, shipping and invoicing became second nature and remarkably accurate. Financials are solid but do spend time getting your head around VAT processes.

Pros

There are many ERP solutions and there is plenty of open source software. xTuple is different because it is an open source ERP solution that does actually work. ERP does require quite an amount of configuration and management and xTuple is no different. Understanding how ERP works if pretty core to making any ERP solution work but once you have that, once you have committed the effort to properly configure it, xTuple provides the sort of solution that suppliers of vastly more expensive alternatives would argue is out of reach of open source software. xTuple does have a knowledgeable and helpful community and plenty of plugings and add-ons to ensure that it provides the solution that you need. If it doesn't, then the PostgreSQL background and QT foreground make it sufficiently simple for you to make your own modifications.

Cons

As open source solutions go, there are remarkably few quirkinesses but those that do exist do require some thinking around. Like most ERP solutions, it demands that it follows it's processes so deviate and you are in for some pain. The key to a successful implementation is learning how it works. If you have never implemented ERP before then you are strongly advised to either dedicate quite some time to getting it wrong and starting again or bringing in someone with the expertise and experience. Fortunately, xTuple will help you there!

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thanks for reviewing our free PostBooks¿ product, Roland. Sounds like you've got great knowledge of the system. Let us know how we can help with any increased functionality you need.

Carl from S. Howes LLC

Sales/engineering involved with ERP use. Currently running 4.8.1. Previous system was MAS200.

Pros

Has a Mac based client. Has the option for on-site server or cloud server. Highly customizable reporting capabilities. A decent amount of customizing interface windows. We have several very custom reports and some interface changes that have been made by a 3rd party developer. A lot of features, some we're still learning to use in an optimal way.

Cons

The report editor is weak, at least up through 4.8.1. Text boxes don't auto-wrap making form design difficult. This is a challenge even for our 3rd party developer that uses it all the time. Not the most intuitive - interlinks between data sets is weak at best. Often we find ourselves needing to write somethings down from one inquiry to then go to the next, and the next to find what we need. MAS200 was much better in this regard. Several accounting features that I do not use are also reported to have similar limitations as compared to MAS200. No bug patches. Free updates while using the cloud sever are great, but any customization throws a slight wrench into that. Several bugs that we deal with have been fixed in newer versions but are not available as patches to our version. Since we have some significant customization, the actual upgrade cost keeps us from updating frequently.

Response from xTuple

Replied August 2018

RE: any difficulties you¿re experiencing with the OpenRPT report editor. If you need to learn more about building custom reports, we¿ve got some great classes and some free online resources at https://xTupleUniversity.com. Backporting bug fixes with patches can run you into all sorts of other problems related to required functionality that may not exist in older versions. It¿s like expecting to get an airbag in a `65 Mustang. Our best suggestion is let¿s help you upgrade to the latest version: https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services -- Carolyn

Generally good, but requires a skilled team to use

When fully set up, it does a good job of running our multi-site,multi-currency manufacturing operation.

Pros

- Decent import system to load up your data - Flexible system that allows a wide range of manufacturing and options - Easy access to SQL tables which allow you to write your own tools if xTuple is missing something you need - Under active development, and with a good user forum

Cons

- Despite the licensing being the single most expensive SW cost for our company, support is virtually non existent. It is an additional cost and the options are expensive, confusing and often rely on 'partners' who don't always know much about the system. Documentation does exist but is often hard to find on the xTuple website. A skilled technical team will be needed to implement and set up the complex options and work flows. - xTuple is putting lots of effort on eCommerce additions, but less on the fundamentals of the package. Silly issues make for large problems: -- User permissions can only be added one at a time (no multi select) -- Payments are still based on the idea of paper cheques with no shortcuts for cash/card payments. No simple export options for upload for wire processing) -- The multi currency system is basic and has issues (silly rounding errors, Bank reconciliation and GL accounts don't match and can't be corrected, 'extra' currency transactions generated by some operations break AR balance)

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review. What version of xTuple are you using? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? Sounds like you might be missing some valuable help and ROI for your company. Feel free to contact us (we're here to help!): https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Janine from Instrument Meter Specialties

Overall the xTuple software has been wonderful. Easy to use and presents very professionally.

Functionality for our very unique type of business, and website integration are the top two benefits.

Pros

You can begin with a free version and if that version fulfills all of your needs you can continue with that, however for added functionality there are licencing fees for that functionality. It is easy to use (once the beginning numbers are in) and it makes a small company look larger due to the look and design of their forms (you can design your own as well). The functionality is incredible. The type of business we are in requires things that most software does not provide for which has made running our business quite a bit easier. We are a modification center and xTuple allows us to use different parts to make the same end product by using substitutions, this has been a tremendous help to us. It was nice to be able to start with the free version and see just what this amazing piece of software could do. They also have an "online university" where users can communicate with each other and xTuple themselves, that has proven to be extremely valuable. Many times the issue or question we have has already been dealt with through another customer and the answer sits right there accessible to us. Overall xTuple has been great for us. They also are now hosting our website and although there have been some rough patches, I don't think we would go anywhere else as they allow it to integrate with our software, a big help.

Cons

Their customer service is probably their weakest link. Although they make an appreciable effort to respond to the issues we bring up, from our end sometimes it doesn't seem to be taken care of as quickly as we would like, and we have to follow-up for resolve. The website integration has some bugs, but eventually the bugs get worked out. We have two very capable IT employees who sometimes can figure out the bugs before they do, which is a big plus for us, as we can correct the issues then pass on the fix to xTuple. We all agree that the issues with customer service are worth the extreme value that the software has brought to our company.

For someone who is not an accountant, the learning curve was steep. But in time, it became great.

It forced me to learn true accounting principles, of which I still haven't mastered, but it's an ongoing experience. That, and the fact that it's free.

Pros

It's a true ERP/accounting software suite that covers all aspects of a business. There's no cheating when posting transactions. It forces you to get to know actual accounting principles and follow them. I also like that it is platform agnostic. I prefer Linux to Windows, and the software runs on both. This versatility also runs to the database back end; I'm using PostgreSQL on Linux, which is quick and clean for my needs. My accountant loves it, since it does what an accounting package is supposed to do, and not let me delete things if I screw up. The entry-level offering, PostBooks, is free. You can request a free license key for up to four (4) users, running concurrently, which for small businesses or startups is fantastic! The database engine runs on a small server (Windows or linux), and users run the self-contained user interfaces from their desktops - no real installation needed there. If you wish to increase your footprint, additional licensing is available. Forms and reports are fully customizable. With a little bit of time and motivation, you can create any form you wish and configure the environment exactly to your tastes.

Cons

It takes time to master the application if you are not familiar with accounting practices and principles. Being a small businessman who specializes in IT, I'm not accustomed to think in the ways of balancing buckets. It's not Quickbooks (whatever that means). Office managers and financial people continually ask me why I should use something that's off the beaten path with respect to small businesses. Of course, I give them the reasons above. Needless to say, the argument inevitably comes back, "Quickbooks is still easier to use." It's not easy to back out stupid mistakes. Again, this is an "operator issue". A non-accountant really needs to be trained properly to fully utilize the power of this application.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your glowing review. What version of free PostBooks¿ are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd be curious to know how you're using the system, to help inform others who are in similar businesses! Message us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing Be sure you've got the latest update for your software and renew your free license key: https://xtuple.com/products/postbooks/license-key-registration

Tom from Locker Live

Very powerful software, but comes with a learning curve.

I think that xTuple is a great piece of software, but it is much more attuned to larger, more regimented businesses. For the small and flexible business, QuickBooks is much more suitable to the style of operation that I have experienced with smaller businesses.

Pros

I can quickly and accurately keep track of all aspects of business operations.

Cons

The fact that once you post something, you cannot change it. In a lot of smaller businesses, a managerial style of accounting is used. A lot of little mistakes happen or a customer requires an invoice to be worded a certain way, etc... With xTuple, I have to void the transaction and start over. Not always feasible. Also, the limited ability to customize line items without creating an item is extremely limiting for smaller businesses.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thanks for your review, Tom. What version of free PostBooks¿ are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd be curious to know how you're using the system, to see what might be missing! Message us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing Today¿s ERP solutions clearly miss the mark for the vast majority of smaller ¿ (but AWESOME!) manufacturing businesses who metaphorically don¿t need a bus to drive to the train station! The elephant in the room is that ERP is the wrong solution for small business, especially those who've outgrown QuickBooks. Watch for xTuple to shake up a 40+ year old industry with a new option in September 2019!

Lance from Driftwood Technology Inc

review of ERP postqb rev 4.x

goal was to handle sales pipeline and contract manufacturing; sales people didn't like to use it. Free version is good value, but paid version is expensive when compared to competitive products.

Pros

multi-platform customizable: forms and reports structured work flow: modules link together properly (from sales to purchasing to inventory to manufacturing to shipments etc) has expected and comprehensive list of data: AP, AR, INV, WIP, PO, Sales, Customers, etc

Cons

poorly integrated extensions (eg time and expense) data entry forms are clunky for bulk entry UX forms not consistent (over time the UX standards have changed, older forms have not been updated to use newer UX) automation of import/export is clunky (it works, but not intuitive to configure) chart of accounts and posting are very traditional approach, so cumbersome to fix data entry mistakes. need manufacturing edition if doing manufacturing; base model has too many key manufacturing features disabled.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thanks for reviewing our free PostBooks¿ product, Lance. Sounds like you may be using an older version? Be sure to get the latest update for your software and renew your free license key: https://xtuple.com/products/postbooks/license-key-registration P.S. Let us know how we can help with increased functionality you need.

Rebecca from WorkWell Inc

Extendable ERP

I have implemented xTuple a number times. In all cases the businesses were small and unique. I worked with the xTuple team to get their ERP to work for businesses in manufacturing, education, and health care. In all cases the extensibility of the product was key to our success.

Pros

ERP systems are complex and can be difficult to extend to accommodate unique business needs. The open source nature and configurable design of xTuple overcomes the effort and cost barriers of other ERPs. An IT person can customize xTuple for their business or they can work with the xTuple team. The technical support and professional services they provide help get projects up and running.

Cons

The technologies used in xTuple are not for the faint of heart. A considerable amount of technical accum is required to customize the system. Even simple changes to screens and reports require an understanding of SQL and JavaScript.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thanks, Rebecca, for your very concise review. ERP is definitely not for the easily intimidated. That's why we're working on a whole new way for businesses to get that ERP functionality they so desperately need, but can't tackle due to cost, or lack of resources, or plain old FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt).

Matt from GT Services LLC

Xtuple is very flexible and capable of very complex transactions and customized routines.

exposure to other types of accounting setup. The software install is still very clunky and difficult to use. We need to use our old system side by side with it. Was hoping to drop the old system by now. We could really use someone to help us config it more.

Pros

The price, customizability, open source code. Able to interface with other programs and databases. True enterprise funtions and modules. The startup costs are very affordable.

Cons

Very difficult to find help with the software. The manuals and support are expensive and often non existant to my experience

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review of the free PostBooks¿ community product. I believe you may be on an older version? Upgrading often addresses most concerns. Let's be sure to get the latest update for your software and renew your free license key: https://xtuple.com/products/postbooks/license-key-registration

Carol from Southwest Antennas

Xtuple Review

Our experience with the applications listed under what we like best has been very good. Based on the way we have use the system we have been unable to use MRP to date. However, I think this is more our issue than an XTuple issue.

Pros

Inventory tracking and financial tracking and reports. The sales module also provides needed reports and information

Cons

Currently the CRM does not allow us to track conversion rates or other metrics. It does not provide any true metric reporting features. We have had to purchase outside software and now the sales team is having to update two separate databases. This was one thing I was hoping to avoid. The same is true for project management.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Carol - Thank you for a great review. You are correct: xTuple is not a very metric-oriented system. It wasn't designed for modern marketers and business analysts. It's more of a data collection and repository system. However, your review is a very good example of giving us helpful information on where the product could be improved. We're actually working on integrations with other softwares (such as data visualization and marketing automation) that could be excellent, cost-effective opportunities to solve your issues. Your success with xTuple relies on expert ERP consultants to help with your customization needs. (You've already engaged a great consultant, too!) With that said, we'll email you offline. Using MRP is an issue that your consultant can help with. And some of what you need sounds like a report to us, and one that would be a good addition to the core product (ex: CRM conversion rate), so we'd ask you to submit a Feature Request.

xTuple ERP

We have put all of our ordering/manufacturing/accounting/finance functions on xTuple, including some company-specific functions that we built ourselves without consulting. We've been running the system for 7 years with great success.

Pros

Cost-benefit is off the charts. A full, highly complex, highly customized install of xTuple can be achieved at about 1/3 the cost of other proprietary systems. The open-source environment allows a technically-inclined administrator with some programming experience to extend the software in business-specific ways without the use of high-cost consulting. Tech support is great, and bug fixes often arrive in a couple of days after reporting.

Cons

The documentation provided for scripting is too heavily geared towards an experienced C/Qt programmer rather than a SQL programmer. There aren't enough specific scripting examples, and too many references to class libraries which don't make much sense to someone with no C/Qt background.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for a great review. What version of xTuple are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd always looking for stories on how companies are using the system, especially about customizations, to help other similar businesses. We are also working on standing up a scripting library which might be of use to you. Feel free to contact us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Janet from Solution Solvers LLC

Wanted something better than Sage that didn't require "frankensteining" the software & costing $$$$$

more available options without having to pay for it - included in the package which is the way it should be. Every time I have to purchase another piece to make the main package work better for me, it's more money for software; consulting hours, training.....

Pros

Open Source; great support team - in it to get the problem solved efficiently an effectively; great instructor - he really knows the software inside and out and a great problem solver; in fact, all of the partners involved with xTuple will help with problems if you reach out to them in the forum; and for the "cherry on top" - constantly evolving and improving - they don't rest on their laurels - they constantly challenge themselves to make it better, more expansive - "How can we benefit our customers the most" mentality and they just keep going and going.

Cons

Call it housekeeping - there used to be a few bad apples and they have been slowly and surely weeded out and discarded - both employees who "loved to hear themselves talk" but was much ado about nothing and then some partners - if you are in it, then you are in it - don't bad mouth it - the company, the customers - all of it - get out or help make it better for all - as you know, employee and partner housekeeping take time but it is better and the air about things is better; more responsive, more positive, more open discussion and not territorial - it's a true think tank like it should be. One other thing - I am not personally a programmer so admittedly some of that stuff is way over my head and there are smarter people than me there that I will happily pay from the consulting dollars to get the most efficient and effective bang for my client's buck - I wish I understood some of the report writing better - it's not my strength so it's more my con than the software I believe.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your longtime use and investment in xTuple.

David from Teradek LLC

from initially hating the product, i am very comfortable with

Ability to obtain accurate and timely information for reports

Pros

Very powerful. Provides us with accurate information, once one really knows how the program works. Compared to other ERP programs, it is a lot less costly.

Cons

Reconciliation feature needs a lot of work. Look at Quickbooks to see how easy it is. Still need the ability to print a P&L for a specific period that can be adjusted(e.g. 1 days or 1 week). Not easy to customize(need to be a programmer) Would like to see it work better in a Mac environment (ability to magnify screen when needed) Would like to see an app that I can use on my iPad

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you, David, for your honest review and your investment in xTuple Manufacturing. RE: your P&L, here¿s some great tutorials on the Financial reporting engine (FRE); it¿s really a robust reporting tool that doesn¿t require programmer-level knowledge: https://xtupleuniversity.xtuple.com/library/videos/financial-reporting-engine-part-1 Let¿s ensure you're on the latest version of the software; your Account Rep can help: https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services P.S. Watch for us to change the game and launch a new category of solutions in September 2019!

Rick from Stealth Mark

Solid System with Good Track Record of Improvement

Our company implemented the Xtuple system and have used it now for approx 9 years. We originally purchased it as it had all the primary features one would expect in an ERP system, it featured a great deal of what we were looking for, and it was at an affordable price structure as well. Over these years we've found the system to be very stable platform for our business, and we've been impressed with the ongoing development and roll outs of new and expanded features. Xtuple has also come a long way in providing high quality training materials. In addition, and very importantly, their support staff have been top notch, exhibiting high skill capabilities, and timely responses. They've even come to our aid with issues that were clearly user caused, not system bugs. In short, I'd highly recommend Xtuple for any business as a high quality system with a team that seems dedicated to ongoing improvement. Great software and compares very well to much more expensive systems.

Pros

Has all the features of much more expensive systems, and they continue to improve on a continuing basis. The 'Workbench' features make several tasks much easier.

Daniel from Light & Motion

Industry: Sporting Goods

x-tuple works for our integrated mfg company. We would like better reporting and true backlash capab

good standard costing, supports all business functions from finance to inventory to production to sales orders and shipping.

Pros

open source, reasonable features for the price, relatively stable running on our internal servers. Handles wide range of functions from finance thru to manufacturing. We would like better interfaces with ARENA solutions and with Pro-ship and ship station as well as Zen desk.

Cons

API's are poor - would be nice to make it easier to integrate with other packages like e-commerce, Zen-desk, shipping programs etc.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review and investment in xTuple Manufacturing. I believe you may be on an older version? Upgrading often addresses most concerns. Please chat with xTuple¿s professional team, they can help you set the system up just as you want https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services. They may also recommend a class or direct you to some free online resources at https://xTupleUniversity.com.

Jason from ACS

Great product and appreciate the Postbooks free version very much!!!

What I needed for free.

Pros

Great inventory and manufacturing controls. I'm very confident if I grow Xtuple is the way to go. I've used quickbooks before and hate it. Xtuple is not the easiest thing to set up but it's not too much harder than others out there that have the same or less functionality.

Cons

Setting up automatic local backups are tough, wanted to set up Barman but was taking too much time. Tried another app but could not figure out how to restore my database with the backups it makes. Backing up manually using pgAdminIII is what I have to do now and it's not that bad really as long as a person remembers to do it. Ease of use setting up database and backing up could be better, but functionality is more important

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thanks for the review as a user of the free and open source version of PostBooks¿, a great alternative to QuickBooks for your growing business (hence the name -post- quickbooks). We¿d like to help with your need to upgrade. Please contact us: https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services.

Frederick from Mottainai - (Too Good to Waste!)

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

xTuple & PostBooks - CRM for small businesses to multi national corporations.

xTuple fits with the database back end that I use for many other functions. It has been a blessing in that it runs on multiple platforms and can be built from source code for the platforms that aren't supported in binary format from xTuple.

Pros

xTuple is very personable and easy to "get to know" It also allows one to tailor it to their specific business for the most part. There is plenty of support too. Both from purchased and community.

Cons

I really can't think of any right now.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your glowing review, Frederick. What version of free PostBooks¿ are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd be curious to know how you're using the system, to help inform others who are in similar aviation businesses! Message us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing Be sure to get the latest update for your software and renew your free license key: https://xtuple.com/products/postbooks/license-key-registration

Xtuple

Like any software there is no perfect system, but overall we are very happy with our choice. If I had to go back and make the decision again I would still go with this software.

Pros

I love that this is an open system allowing us to customize it to our needs. I always hear about other companies who use the big name system and how they are doing something that actually hurts their business but they have no choice because that is how the system works. With Xtuple we can do anything!

Cons

I wish they had more integration such as with receipt management systems to allow for easy entry direct into the software.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thanks for your review. ERP is definitely not for the faint of heart, and the open platform is a BIG help. Thanks for the integration idea(s) - keep 'em coming! Let us know if you want to hear more about that later this year...

Kerry from GFS Corp

xTuple has been a great software for our manufacturing company. Very satisfied!

Pros

Simpler to use than other ERP solutions. Integrated well with other critical software that our business depends on.

Cons

The report writer functionality is difficult to use and takes a good bit of time to learn. Most users will need to use an xTuple consultant to build custom reports. This includes even your basic invoices, packing lists and things like that.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your great review and your investment in xTuple Manufacturing in the Cloud. Glad you find xTuple ERP simpler to use than other applications. RE: any difficulties you¿re experiencing with the OpenRPT report editor. If you need to learn more about building custom reports, we¿ve got some great classes and some free online resources at https://xTupleUniversity.com. Let us know when you¿re ready to upgrade to the latest version (that will help a lot!): https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services.

Shree from Futures Technology

I have installed, maintain and trained on xTuple for +6 on various OS's (Linux/Windows/Mac)

Enterprise resource planning (ERP) is business process management software that runs your whole business that is feature rich and customizable at a price point of a basic accounting program. A company that is committed to responding and helping to grow your business with a single pane of glass.

Pros

1. As a non-practicing CPA, I love that this system follows GAAP and is auditable . 2. The cost of the software is excellent in comparison to other ERP system on the market. 3. This company truly listens to their users on features and bugs. You have a proactive roll in the development of the software, which is refreshing. 4. In partner and customer training you actually get to meet and talk with the developers.

Cons

1. The out of the box reports (screen or/ and printed) reports don't have column totals 2. Printing of Detail Aging report 3. The need for more videos of understanding and using the varies forms of RMA's, and Reports 4. They need videos on the advance class, even it only accessible by a pay wall. 5. They need a online updated flow chart (Business Flows) of the menus and sections

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

The best CRM/MRP/ERP System on the market today!

Implementing a new system is one of the hardest things a small and fast growing company can do. xTuple made our integration seamless and the process went very smoothly. We love the tool and we use it for all of our company processes.

Pros

I liked the fact that you can do everything in one tool. All business processes are included in one package from Customer lead all the way through to the collection of money. I also very much like the fact that the software is Linux based open source and offers full customization for your business.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I do not like about the software!

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you so much for your glowing review. Could you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd be curious to know how you're using the system, to help inform others who are in similar businesses! Message us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

It's been a really solid solution for our client

The ability to create a custom solution that perfectly fit our client's needs.

Pros

I think the extendability of the software has to the the strongest feature. Great care has gone into letting you add features in a very maintainable fashion.

Cons

Sometimes I find that though most of the backend logic is encapsulated within the database - which is an interesting, seemingly solid model - there is some logic that still lives within the client software.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. What version of xTuple are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He's always looking for stories on how companies are using the system, especially about customizations, to help other similar businesses. We are also working on standing up a scripting library which might be of use to you. Feel free to contact us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Mike from Kelly & Hayes Electrical Supply

xTuple user since 2013...highly recommend for a small distribution business

Pros

xTuple has proven reliable and highly adaptable to our evolving business model. We have been able to fully customize this ERP with little to no support (or billing) from xTuple.

Cons

You will need one superuser to customize and work with the xTuple support staff in order exploit the full functionality of this ERP. xTuple needs to develop a smartphone app for warehouse functions.

Response from xTuple

Replied August 2018

Thank you for your great review and your customer testimonial at https://xtuple.com/products/xpress-distributor. If you're still on version 4.6, you might consider upgrading, and we're happy to help. Re: your suggestion to "develop a smartphone app for warehouse functions," our professional services team can help with that too! https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services -- Carolyn

Pretty good once we upgraded to the purchased program.

Pros

Lot Serial Tracking, Copying Item Data,Sales Order Entry,Packing List Reports. Ability to get a response on bugs so that we can fix them in a timely manner.

Cons

Overall look- I don't think the design is overall user friendly. Its better than it use to be but could use a little work. I would like to be able to use the program on phone to check inventory. So maybe a mobile app would be nice. Other than that I think it works efficiently enough for our use.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Christopher from UICO

A lot of potential if you put in the effort

Pros

Because it is open-source, there is nearly indefinite scalablity if you take the time to plan ahead of launch.

Cons

The flip-side of the customizable nature of the system was that much of what we did felt like we were building the system rather than just migrating to it. This was in 2009, I'm sure many features that we and others 'sponsored' are now baked-in for new licensees.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thanks, Chris, for reviewing your xTuple Manufacturing software. This system was built for companies just like yours. ERP is definitely not for the easily intimidated. You've used the system for quite a long time; if you're on an older version, there's a lot of functionality and features you're missing. Please reach back to us; our goal is your success!

Grace from OCHO Candy

Industry: Food Production

xTuple is a great entry-level ERP system.

The ability to get an ERP system that is cloud-based with low barriers to entry.

Pros

Ability to combine manufacturing with traditional finance/accounting/sales orders. Detailed multi-level bills of material are possible with items at separate locations if necessary. Cycle counting can be done in a batch process, which cuts down on time. Exporting data with formatting is fantastic for Excel or CSV.

Cons

Much reporting has to be custom-built, no item master matrix, no sales order history by location by customer, would like to see more high & low-level detailed reporting built into the software. The ability to adjust posted invoicing would be great.

April from Cordeck

Industry: Building Materials

Incredible company to work with!

We have been utilizing xTuple ERP for 7 years and are extremely satisfied with the product, it's features, value and support. xTuple ERP is an extremely flexible and scaleable software that can be easily customized to fit your companies needs. We have added many features and customization over the years at a very reasonable price. xTuple is also easy to use, from report writing to every day use. The staff at xTuple are very knowledgable, approachable, quick to respond and generally just nice people to work with.

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility, easily customized, great price point

Cons

Limited CRM

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you, April, for your review and your investment in xTuple Manufacturing in the Cloud. ERP is the heart and lungs of any organization. We especially appreciate your work with us to improve CRM for major version release 5.0!

Darryl from Asia Supply Line

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

ASL xTuple Review

We are an aerospace company manufacturing in Thailand, Philippines and China. Traceability on Apple platform was our main focus. Now we are looking at functionality on quality.

Pros

Fairly straight forward ERP CRM is good Traceability is good

Cons

but handling of blanket customer orders is not good. Manuals not real good on defining use. Very high level and not sufficient to train people. Quality process is not consistent with industry requirements of 8D reporting

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you, Darryl, for your review and your long-term use of xTuple, not to mention recommendations over the years to your business friends. Please be sure to let us know how we can help to improve your experience with the software even more: https://xtuple.com/contact-us

Tom from ANCO Rendering Equipment LLC

Xtuple review

It works well to manage the overall parts of the business.

Pros

Flexibility and customizable. The SW allows customization.

Cons

Flexibility and customizable. Sometimes it is necessary to write custom reports as the number of built in reports is minimal.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review - your comments are spot-on! "Flexibility & Customizable" can be both a pro and a con. Years ago, some ERP guy wrote a blog about modifying software, and the message was - just because you can, does it mean you should? We'd say yes, and no, it depends, and we have continuing education classes for that. Regarding built-in Reports, there's no way to create enough specific to every business need/want. We do have an online course coming up April 15 on Custom Reporting (you may even have training credits to apply!). Let's get someone at your company signed up https://xtuple.com/training#upcoming-classes. We'll message you offline and connect you to your Account Manager.

Shubh from Accu-Label

Industry: Food Production

xTuple has been a robust softare solution that does require little to moderate time to plug and play

It's fairly easy to get going with xTuple but does require a keen understanding of both the technological, people and process behind designing the logic to execute. The key benefit is the low cost to get started with the free version. The more our firm grows, we are looking at the commercial version to support varied functionality.

Pros

I like how you can integrate it across different platforms. Further, specialized features and functionality can be integrated with their open source solution.

Cons

I dislike that a lot of the key features we needed required the help of a consultant and some feature development.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thanks Shubh. Watch for xTuple to shake up a 40+ year old industry with a new option in September 2019!

Nicholas from kelly & Hayes

there are some things that need to be tweaked but overall it works for our need

i can do my job.

Pros

The software is user friendly, very easy to use.

Cons

upgrades change all the settings. when attaching a document you should just be able to drag and drop

Response from xTuple

Replied August 2018

Thank you for your review. Glad you find the application easy to use. Drag and drop is nice when you¿ve got a simple process; however, your ERP is a powerful tool and includes a complicated and multi-faceted relational database. Let¿s connect you with our Professional Services Team to ensure you¿ve got everything configured just like you need it, for the job you have: https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services They may also recommend a class or direct you to some free online resources at https://xTupleUniversity.com. -- Carolyn

Angela from King Cycle Group

Industry: Sporting Goods

Xtuple is complex and very powerful if you know how to use it otherwise it can be difficult to use.

Pros

I like the date and user stamping for each transaction which really helps with auditing. I also like the way transactions are connected like from PO, to receiving document, to invoice and from SO, to invoice, to cash receipt, you can search back to the start of a transaction.

Cons

Sometimes the software lacks flexibility for instance the Purchase Order auto fills the vendor terms and there is not a way to override the due date when entering the invoice. The reconciliation tool could be more user friendly for instance the deposit amounts sort alphabetically instead of numerically and when you view notes in the checks area it makes all the transactions several lines deep and you are not able to view very many transactions at a time. Also the reconciliation reports are entirely useless since all JE transactions are considered "Adjustments" and deposits and expenditures are combined without showing if the value is positive (went in to the account) or negative (came out of the account).

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review and investment in xTuple Manufacturing. Your ERP is a powerful tool with many options for default settings to automatically populate fields. Reach out to your system administrator or let¿s connect you with our Professional Services Team to ensure you¿ve got everything configured just like you need it, for the job you have: https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services They may also recommend a class or direct you to some free online resources at https://xTupleUniversity.com.

Feedback

By and large the system provides decent tools to process our work. Some information, data, and reports require significant specialized enhancements.

Pros

Generally speaking, all functionality is available with xTuple. Operations, Sales, Finance, and Production activities can be performed.

Cons

Some reporting is slow and redundant. there have been many specialized reports created for ease and efficiency.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your confidence in us. Are you planning to upgrade to the next major version 5.0?? Let's ensure you're getting all that you need out of xTuple. https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services

Denise from Canyon Stone

This program did not consult an accountant, there are so many flaws and issues that are allowed.

Pros

The system is cloud based, and it allows a user to sort on screen in many columns. It's semi-easy to use and follow items for someone who understands accounting.

Cons

Issues are not always resolved timely. I am still waiting for a phone call from April 30, Customer support called once but I was in the NC office and I gave them my cell to call but it didn't happen. I put the information back into the customer support tab again on June 25th, today is July 2nd and it is still not resolved. I do not like when my AR and/or AP is out of balance. The reverse CM's do not always work. Printing an item from Xtuple is tricky, it does not always look like the screen, it adds items, deducts items and/or prints individual pages. Payables takes too many screens to do checks. We should be allowed to post zero dollar cash receipts, it happens in real life. It would be nice if you could void an invoice and/or cash receipt from a previous but post the void in the current month. P.S. I used this software at another company in Henderson, NV prior to this and knew several issues. I would not have recommended this software but Canyon Stone had purchased it a few months prior to me being hired.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

There¿s no excuse for your support issue to have slipped through the cracks. Our mission is for customers to be happy, and your investment in the Distribution Edition is important to us. I've checked our issue tracker and it appears this has now been resolved?

Marco from Nutrawise Health and Beauty Corp

xtuple for manufacturing.

Overall xTuple has been a great company to work with and their manufacturing product works well and is constantly improving.

Pros

The flexibility of development and multi platform availability is phenomenal. The training classes while very full of information are not

Cons

warehouse management permission structure could be more detailed, quality testing is not a feature of the system yet.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Eric from Northway Industries

Good experience, Strong Customization Options

All the benefits of an ERP and excellent customization.

Pros

I like the ability to customize and develop new screens, new reports and add functionality to current screens. We have used this to track material purchases for sales orders and project bookings for months ahead.

Cons

That it can sometimes be to obscure. No resources are readily available regarding some of the classes that are available. Especially in the toolbox and in the xtreewidget. Often times I have to search through existing scripts to see how some functions operate.

Lee from Rush Green Community Association

Great software that has a multipurpose approach.

Cons

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you, Lee, for your review and your long-term use of xTuple. What version of free PostBooks¿ are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd be curious to know how you're using the system, to help inform others who are in similar businesses! Message us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Trey from Thymly Products, Inc.

We Use Xtuple for every aspect of our business, so we know first hand the value it can offer.

Like any software packages there are always things that you would like to have improved or tweaked. With Xtuple the nice part is if you want the feature, report or pretty much anything you can have them created it. Basically the only limited is your wallet and compared to other companies your money goes further.

Pros

It nice to have all aspect of the business in one place. So many companies have to utilize several different software to keep their business running. With Xtuple it is easy to switch between CRM, Accounting to even formulations. Its a one stop shop.

Thomas from CMC

Xtuple for Small Manufacturing Company

We are a small to mid sized manufacturing company and use Xtuple throughout our organization.

Pros

It is fairly easy to use and intuitive compare to other ERP systems I have used.

Cons

The cost accounting functionality is a disaster. However, it's hard to blame on Xtuple necessarily, I believe it was the implementation of the platform.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review and your investment in xTuple Manufacturing. Glad you find the application useful for your daily accounting and sales functions, especially ease of use with compiling financials. Re: configurations on cost accounting. Please chat with xTuple¿s professional services team, they can get you the help needed to set the system up just as you want! https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services

Andrea from eRPICG

xTuple is a software that is very easy to use for the end user with minimal training. Intuitive

Pros

1. Ease of navigation through applications 2. Ease of upload of spreadsheets through csv utility 3. Developer tools for reports, metasql, screens and scripts are user friendly 4. Screen filters and export to excel 5. Intuitive for the end user and developer

Cons

As a developer, not all screens and scripts are available to make customized modifications to meet the needs of our clients and myself.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

James from Brand Castle, LLC

Industry: Food Production

My company runs on xTuple every day, day in and day out

My company has used xTuple for the past seven years. We use xTuple for so many aspects including sales, orders, processing, manufacturing, warehouse, accounting, royalties, commissions, and now e-commerce. This excellent software is produced by a company that understands manufacturing, daily challenges and ever changing technology. PS: I have a food company and xTuple is perfect for lot traceability.

Pros

Constant improvement.

Cons

Reports could be more plentiful and easier to write.

Anthony from Athena Automation Ltd.

Industry: Machinery

Good overall functionality but still can be buggy from time to time.

Pros

Great value. Allows our small enterprise to be competitive in a sector dominated by large companies.

Cons

Missing some basic functionality on the manufacturing side. US-oriented functionality (we are a Canadian client). Releases could include more feature releases and improvements. Weak in terms of reporting/analytics.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review. We're always working diligently to improve. Watch for us to change the game and launch a new category of solutions in September 2019!

Zachary from IHS Door Company

Industry: Building Materials

Working with a knowledgeable and experienced team that backs a reliable open source MRP.

Pros

xTuple is a solid and reliable open source MRP/ERP system. It gives our company the flexibility to do what we need to solve challenges ranging from production to accounting, and with the same database server allows us to accomplish our main priority of serving our customers well and solving their problems.

Cons

Not having a complete mobile interface for the main application does limit being able to use mobile devices.

Lee from Bay Equipment Co

Industry: Machinery

Supremely flexible open source system solves problems

The ability to customize the software to my business. instead of customizing my business to the software.

Pros

The software is truly open source and highly customizable without breaking the core functionality. It allowed me to implement things that could not have been possible with any other product. Combined with the OpenRPT reporting system and PostgreSQL, it's hard to beat. The price is nice too.

Cons

The learning curve can be a little steep when customizing the product. However, it is still better documented than the vast majority of ERP systems out there and the code is available to view.

Mitch from Versa Computer Consulting L.L.C.

I am a software developer and IT consultant specializing in business systems integration.

Pros

This software is developed with the highest quality standards. Being open source, it helps developers to more easily build integrations and customizations. With some training, customizations can also be built by non-programmers.

Cons

There is a high learning curve which is addressed with training and an implementation partner or resource.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Xtuple Review

Pros

MRP is easy to use and inventory and purchasing functions help me get my job done efficiently.

Cons

Some times i need to export data to Excel to make it easier to work with.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Thank you for reviewing. What version of xTuple are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd always looking for stories on how companies are using the system, especially about MRP, to help other similar businesses. Feel free to contact us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Christian from ASSET Inc.

Value for your money

I have used xTuple for 4 years and absolutely love the functionality of it as well as the ease of use. The report writing capabilities are great and allow you to create reports from scratch. There are several ways to perform the same task so that experience could use some improvement but overall, a great system to use.

Pros

Customizability of the software and custom reporting.

Cons

Too many screens and too many ways to perform the same task. User experience needs some improvement.

Alfredo from Soluciones Advans, S.A. de C.V.

It has been an excellent tool for our company

Pros

Easy to learn and to use. It works on Windows, Mac and Linux. It really help to reduce the TCO when it came to database licensing. It has a great scripting tool to customize.

Cons

There is only one kind of license, if you use a terminal in the production floor anyway you pay for a full license that access to the entire suit.

Response from xTuple

Replied February 2019

Mike from Blair Companies

Great value

We have had a great deal of success adapting the Xtuple software to our business, which has many peculiarities you would not normally expect a non-custom system to handle. Our relationship with the Xtuple family has always been wonderful. With no in-house programmer we have had to rely on the team there and especially Customer support representative who has always come through for us.

Pros

Adaptability and ease of customization.

Cons

Some degradation of speed as files grow.