• Pros

• "Very easy to use and very fast to find what I search short implementation time. Just great to see happy customers"

• "I love the ease of search and finding what I need. the program allows us to save multiply clients in one location. training new employees on the functions is easy."

• "this software makes it very easy to share data "

• Cons

• "A good quality documentation but sometimes easier to find the necessary documents. Getting a file is difficult if not well defined"

• "It was a little pricey and we don't have it fully implemented but we have already seen operational efficiency go up dramatically in our processing department alone."

• "It can be a tad bit pricey however it does its job well and once it is deployed you can see the value in the cost."

Browse M-Files Reviews

Clarwin from University of Asia and the Pacific

Go-to application for any Digitization Project

M-files is a must for any company seeking to implement digital transformation initiatives in their company. I love best is its extensive feature set and seamless integration with Microsoft products (e.g., office, IIS server, MS SQL, Windows, etc.) The workflow feature is easy to customize, setup, and implement. It will change the way you deal with paper documents once you experience how easy it is to digitize, and manage your documents. The OCR functionality is a beast! Just like having Google on your local repository, reading through the very contents of your digital documents.

Pros

The thing I like the most is the seamless integration with Microsoft products. This made it easy for implementing the use of M-files into our office workflow (it works well from within Outlook, Microsoft Office, even Windows Explorer). The creation of a Workflow is made very easy via a graphical workflow editor. Just a little learning curve and we are able to setup the different manual processes into a solid digital workflow for the office (e.g., filing for leave, routing of papers for approval, storing scanned copies of contracts and any kind of document in the office).

Cons

When implementing on a large scale (e.g., company-wide) we really had to sit down and plan out our licensing arrangement. Note that M-Files comes in a variety of licensing options (e.g., read-only, named user, concurrent user). Some offices can possibly share licenses (but number of active sessions will be limited). Planning out the best license option is quite a task since we were woking on a limited buget and we had to optimize the value-for-money setup we can have. It can also be a bit overwhelming for new users. We had a bit of difficulty in the deployment since we had to train all the users (who found it not so intuitive at first). But then, after the training, it has then been integrated well for our daily use.

David from Aboitiz Group of Companies

Industry: Investment Management

One Place for All Document Types

M-files was a great tool to create one common space for us to store, share, and retrieve documents and digital assets online. Workflow are next, but we're still securing more funding given the new pricing model.

Pros

Our office being limited with space has decided to keep tidy and lean by going digital. We tried M-files because it has good reviews, good recommendations from industry partners, and it has been receiving awards as well. So far, so good. After manual scanning, we upload our files into the M-files vault and everything is securely stored and easily accessible in one place. Searching for the file you need is easy because M-Files makes searching via metadata, and also not by location logic, but by what the document you're looking for is. Workflows is another reason we took M-Files in. We played around with it and it really is easy to create workflows via the graphical logic setup screen. Even the non-technical staff understands how the design works because it is pretty intuitive and straight-forward.

Cons

M-Files has changed its delivery and pricing model. We have a perpetual license for 2018, but it turns out we need to upgrade into the subscription model for M-Files 2019 in order to continue receiving the updates, upgrades, and customer support. Since we have not yet upgraded, we are put on hold in terms of implementing our digital workflows. Now we're just waiting for the next budget season and release to upgrade.

Response from M-Files

Replied May 2019

Hi David, Thank you for sharing about your experiences using M-Files with others on Capterra. It is rewarding to hear that M-Files has helped your business with its digital transformation and that you are realizing improvements in the way that your staff store, share, and retrieve documents and digital assets online. I am confident that when you are ready to upgrade to M-Files Online that your company will see the value in having immediate access to product improvements and new capabilities. Please feel free to reach out or visit our customer portal should you have any questions or if we can be of assistance to you.

Seamless document management

Different users can easily work on the same file and the last file they have is easily found. Provides much more convenient documentation management

Pros

An application that helps a lot in document management. It allows you to easily find out which user uploaded the document to the system, for what purpose, and the last saved version.

Cons

Response from M-Files

Replied January 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are pleased to hear that you find M-Files valuable! We sincerely appreciate you and your business!

Tim from IC-1 Solutions

Easy File Management

Great time to value (up and running in hours). Administration is intuitive and requires minimal expertise. The user experience is well integrated with Windows (can access using a drive map). Suitable for on-premier or cloud deployments, including AWS Workspaces of VMWare OneSpace.

Pros

Seem less integration with Windows and Active Directory. Users can simply drag and drop files into the M-Files client or via a browser (requires plug-in). User can tag favorite files and search based on multiple file attributes or tags. Server setup (Window 2012 or higher) is straightforward with the option of M-Files database or Microsoft SQL server. For smaller organizations, I recommend using the built-in database option. M-Files installation and administration requires much less planning compared to SharePoint.

Cons

Not a full featured when compared to SharePoint. Does not offer collaborative features such as Web or Office365 integration.

Response from M-Files

Replied January 2020

Hello Tim, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are very happy to hear that you are pleased with the ease of use M-Files provides. We appreciate you and your business. Have a great day!

Expensive, bad documentation, no debugging capability and bad support from the vendor

We are a german company that uses M-Files for some years. I'm the poor guy that has to configure the backend/server side. The basic functions are easy to setup, once installed, the server and client side runs well. The basic idea is easy to understand, documents belongs to classes ans has class-specific metadata attributes like "telephone number". Attributes can be linked to other objects... fine! What makes me sleepless nights is, that if the implementation of a little bit more complex things like right structures, workflows with many steps e.g., you're totally lost with M-Files. There are some different documentation pdfs, describing just the basic functionality - WITHOUT CLEAR EXAMPLES. There's the possibility to submit tickets (if you have a support contract). This tickets are answered after some days by (asian?) supporters. There's a lot of mail-overhead just to desribe the problem. In most cases the supporters does not respond to the concrete problem. The do'n offer, for example, a short teamviewer session to solve the problem on the customers system. That's can not be calles good support! M-Files provides the possibility to write own (visual basic) code, triggered by event handlers. This code can be written to a empty white editor (without any debug possibilities, or any kind of help to the programmer) on the server side. Notepad.exe provides more features! No Breapoints, no debug log output, the only way to debug own code is to rise exceptions that blows the script. That is 1983, not 2017! The API functions are not nice encapsulated, it's a nightmare to wirte own code...but required often - to customize and build workarounds for missing functionality. Logging in general...not nice. There's a "event log" on the server side. Some basic events are logged here, for example login, logout, document checkout... But it's not very detailed! If somethin went wrong, it's not written there. Maaan! The user frontend (windows client) looks nice and works well. The server side looks also nice on the first view, but many "nice" features are not implemented. Lists of 300+ Users... no search field, no possibility to select 5 people and delete them, you have to do tis one by one... I hope this (view from the administration part) gives you a small impression of the daily work. M-Files seems to spend a lot of money in marketing an nice small videos to bring the CEO to buy the product, but where are the videos describing the rights structure from the technical side? Nope!

Pros

- Usefull user interface on the client side - Good basic structure

Cons

- Expensive - Very bad support - Bad documentation - No usefull examples - Not self-explaining to the adminsitrator

lkan from Ford Motor Company

Not user friendly

I like the program apart from being able to upload only files one by one instead copying everything at once.

Pros

Able to use it via phone app is the best feature I like. Normally we are bound to company laptop for everything and to company network for some of the applications. However with this phone app, it removes limits.

Cons

Radical view system instead of windows folder system. Views has to be created by each user. Thus there is no global folder creation. some users is able to what they are looking for if they can manage view feature better. and not all people are proficient about programs, pc and IT stuff.

Response from M-Files

Replied September 2019

Being able to access M-Files by mobile is a wonderful feature and we are happy that you find it valuable. Regarding your additional feedback, I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience a bit more with you. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your very valuable review.

Amanda from Ajilon

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Perfectly developed product with so many useful features

The interface of the product is quite effective in doing daily task work and also helps me in to understand all the features better. This solution suits every type of organization whatever their size and resources will be.

Pros

For me to work with full integrity and also it assures the safety and security of my documents to a larger extent. I really like its search bar that allows me to search each and every document from my system with huge ease and also it provides me a great help in sharing my documents to anyone anywhere in the world.

Cons

It has been the excellent tool with skilled customer response. I have experienced its support they are really professional and intelligent while resolving our problems. Honestly there is nothing to dislike here.

Response from M-Files

Replied January 2020

Hello Amanda, we appreciate you taking time to complete the survey regarding your experience with M-Files. Very happy to hear that you find value with our product!

Alice from CyberCoders

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Authentic and reliable solution for all my files

In short I would say its a great intuitive in terms of document management and also in keeping them in a preferred way as well.

Pros

It has the ability to drag and drop out various important files of my concern from one place to another quite frequently. Moreover, it also enables me to edit and format my documents according to my wish and desire and also helps me in managing dozens of documents with full ease.

Cons

Every feature is so much interesting in it that I couldnt imagine my life without it now. Talking about the drawbacks of this product I cant think of anything that could be a drawback of this certain product because it has everything in it that I require basically.

Response from M-Files

Replied January 2020

Hello Alice, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are very happy to hear that you find value in M-Files. We sincerely appreciate you and your business! Have a great day!

Abigail from Amazon Web Services

Convenient platform for content management

Specifically this little piece of technology helps in providing enough useful features that helps in searching a large number of documents with huge ease.

Pros

It is fully featured database program. The automated workflow is beneficial enough to maintain my daily workflow in a best way. This product has several different ways to ensure that all my data is properly secured or not because it helps me to set permissions accordingly that further facilitates me that nobody without my permission can access my data.

Cons

I can say this platform offers the great features without any problem. It is going amazing and does not give any complaint.

Response from M-Files

Replied January 2020

Hello Abigail, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are pleased to hear that you find value in M-Files! We sincerely appreciate you and your business. Have a great day!

Jennifer from 10th Magnitude

Extraordinary product with hundreds of benefits

Overall I would say its really beneficial software for creating a specific place for all types of documents.

Pros

Writing about pros I would say it enables me to drag and drop out files according to my wish and desire without any worries of managing data. Apart from I really prefer it because it helps me to automate all my workflow according to the working criteria.

Cons

I am fond of using this auspicious product. It has brought a lot of convenience to me. Honestly speaking there is not any single drawback that I have to mention here.

Response from M-Files

Replied January 2020

Hello Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are so excited to see that your experience with M-Files has been positive. We appreciate you and your business. Have a great day!

Chris from APWireless

Great Document Management System with lacking support

M-Files is really a great Document Management System with many features, yet easy to use for the end-user. It has advances features like data synchronization between locations, as well as connecting to external databases and support for Dynamics 365. The workflow builder allows a lot of flexibility as well. The only downside is the support. Over the years, the US office has deteriorated. In the first years, there were resources in the US office from Finland. Great consultants that assisted us in setting up the original deployment (that was 5 years ago). But in recent years, the US office doesn't seem to know much about the product and they've devolved into a sales office without technical expertise. So if you are buying the software in the US and need something customized, be prepared to figure everything out by yourself. You will not get help in the US timezone.

Pros

- User-friendly for end-user - Blows SharePoint out of the water - Highly customizable on the back-end (custom workflows, external database connections)

Cons

- US based technical support is non-existent - M-Files will respond immediately if you want to purchase more licenses, but when there is a problem I can't get any support - Once had a call with a "senior" M-Files consultant that had been with the company for 3 months(!) Needless to say, he had no clue what I was talking about. That was the last time I engaged M-Files for paid for consulting hours.

Response from M-Files

Replied April 2017

Thank you for your comprehensive feedback. We love it when our customers have such great things to say about the solution. We also appreciate the comments about your experience with the consulting team. We have shared that feedback and will reach out to you directly.

Sarah from Doctors of BC

Wish we had M-files sooner!

I've been working with M-files for 2 years now and I can't imagine my professional life without it. I am the Records Administrator for my organization and therefore my concern lies in retaining record history and valuable documents. Of course this is facilitated through comprehensive database searches. I have appreciated the ease of use in the M-files interface and the various features that we now have for documents that simply were not present in traditional folder structures. I've trained close to 100 colleagues on this software with great success. M-files does an exceptional job of allowing everyone to work in a way that is natural and comfortable to them, while simultaneously allowing everyone to collaborate, work together, and find each other's documents.

Pros

-ease of searching -customize features -document version ability -youtube videos

Cons

-the biggest delay in rolling out M-files to our organization was that there was no model in which to consult. No prescribed list of document types or a model to play with. -From a records point of view, document retention should be built in somehow. We create thousands of documents daily and while some are permanent retention, most are transitory and should have a review process. I've been left to conduct record audits and manually determine record value based on a number of factors of the documents.

Treve from Docsmart Solutions Ltd

M-Files saves time!

There is a strange current normal in global business that 99% of companies accept: Staff either can't find, or it takes a long time to find, the information they need to do their jobs quickly and efficiently. M-Files provides anew normal: Staff can securely access the correct information instantly from anywhere! This is a total paradigm shift for any company and the time and cost savings are incredible!

Pros

It's easy to use so staff acceptance is universal. It saves time by providing access to information that was previously unattainable. It reduces errors and saves money. M-Files can do anything for a company because of the way it uses metadata, workflow and objects. It is a Swiss army knife of software that relies on configuration not coding. It integrates with MS Office & Outlook and talks to other software to share information which reduces data entry. The mobile apps are amazing, you can take a photo of something on your phone, upload it straight to M-Files and have Workflow kick off immediately. M-Files is simple to use and powerful for organisations of any size.

Anthony from Hyperactive IT

Industry: Computer Networking

Most easy to use EDMS which ticks ALL the boxes

Searching for documents or hand written notes. Documents prepared by others and missing emails sent by staff. All a thing of the past. Its all in M-Files, found in a third of a second, and available on tablet, phone and desktop. We use nothing else for any document we prepare. Hand written notes from meetings are scanned in on the photocopier and sent straight to M-Files. When you need them again, search on the company and, bang, fresh as a daisy. My guys need standards documents in the field, lookup on the phone and they have it. No calls back to the office taking up the time of 2 or 3 staff members reading things out. They can also edit and add photos as they go. Could not recommend M-Files more highly. Old file systems and window search is dead, bid them good bye and join us in the future.

Pros

Ease of use Ease of Install Availability of data and documents

Cons

Search for trailing substring characters. ie if I'm looking for a serial number that ends or contains 1234 there isn't a search option.

Response from M-Files

Replied April 2017

Anthony, thanks for the positive feedback and we are so glad to hear that your company is enjoying efficiency gains in a number of areas using M-Files.

Steen from Solution Management ApS Denmark

Tremendous value from using M-Files

Solution Management is a software reselling company. We use M-Files to manage documents and as our CRM system managing the full sales cycle with lead generation, opportunity management and communication with customers, contract management, all our projects, internal HR and finance management. Before M-Files we used traditional folders and Dropbox, but we suffered from not being able to find the correct versions of documents and made a lot of double work when making proposals, contracts etc. With M-Files we believe we have increased the value of our company by having all information assembled one place, using standard workflows for all processes including opportunity management, making proposals and contracts using templates and in general just being on top of all information in our company. M-Files gives really good value in terms of accessibility of information, security, functionality. If there is functionality you want different to what M-Files offer, you can in a controlled way develop scripts and applications giving you exactly what you want. We have used M-Files in 5 years, and it has never been unavailable. Top class simply.

Pros

Functionality Stability Price Support Ease of use

Cons

Cannot come up with something

Jeff from Stiltner Electric inc.

Out of the box experience

Mfiles comes with features out of the box that get you started but the real value comes once you start modeling your business processes utilizing the functionality of the core software. I have been very successful at modeling our business processes using the software. I am always amazed with what I can do with it. You can do a lot by simply configuring the software and even more if you want to write a little code. I am very happy with the software and would recommend it to others. Don't expect it to be tailored to your business out of the box though. To leverage it you have to get into the Administration functions and then you can roll out the solutions to your users.

Pros

The fact that I can define a solution with the software that fits our business.

Cons

I think the professional services are expensive and cost prohibitive. That is not a problem with the software but it is a problem if you want to leverage the product. You really need in house expertise if you want to get what you need from the software.

Drop your files into the M-files and edit/download from where you are...

M-files is a cloud based service for business environment. It provides data sharing and editing with your team & colleagues. It is very easy to share and work on a shared document. Check-in and check-out processes not so effective and easy but It is well-considered. It should be easy and fast to use it effectively.

Pros

Data sharing is the main effective work of this tool. I can reach from anywhere to my files because it's a cloud based software.

Cons

Some interface features and classfication selections are not so easy. It takes much more time to share some documents via e-mail or from another source. So it should be simplified some points like writing details of documents.

Response from M-Files

Replied November 2019

Hello and thank you for your review. I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you as we take these surveys very serious. Can you please reach out to me as soon as possible with my provided contact information? I look forward to speaking with you and learning more about what we can do to simplify our process.

Alvaro from Maynilad Water Services, Inc.

Industry: Utilities

Central Digital Repo

M-Files has changed the way we move decision papers around in the office. We are slowly in the process of digitizing our workflows and simple business processes like forms approvals and routing of papers through the management team members. M-Files is now our central repository for archived documents and new ones coming into the inbox.

Pros

1. We scan the majority of our paper documents in the office, and it goes straight to M-Files. I love the seamless integration with Microsoft products (Office, Outlook, File Explorer) as there are quick buttons for upload, and the usual cut&paste, drag&drop also works. 2. The setup for workflows is amazing and easy to do. It uses a graphical interface that is fun to experiment with but at the same time powerful and highly customizable. 3. M-files works best in the Microsoft Windows environment as well as with mobiles devices for easy access to our vaults from anywhere with internet connectivity.

Cons

We initially had some trouble with integration with our Active Directory for a unified username/password management. We had to go through the documentation (which some are not so up to date), and the vendor we had was not so helpful either.

Best software for managing your electronic documents online.

By sharing required documents with each other and with US staff helps us to making benefits.

Pros

We can manage and control of our documents online by this software. Very user friendly and ease of use. We can share our documents with other employees in our company. We can also set permissions that who can view and change to our documents. So it is very secure. It has a feature of back up and restoring of files to avoid data loss. We can also save our scanned documents and photographs in M-Files. We can also connect to different databases to get the required data.

Cons

M-files provide less customer support. The files saved at M-files store will not save in their existing format like .pdf , .doc etc. it will save the files in their M-files format which is bit annoying.

Response from M-Files

Replied September 2018

Thank you for the review and sharing about your experiences using M-Files. In your review you mention that files saved to M-Files do not store in their existing formats. I'm not certain about your configuration, but a typical installation stores all files in their native formats including .pdf, .doc. xlsx, .png, etc. M-Files can also be configured to automatically convert certain file types to others upon saving if desired. It might be so that your configuration is set-up in the manner you describe to maximize storage capacity. Please consider contacting M-Files support about this and they can help to change your file saving format configuration if you desire.

Sherry from GT Solutions International

Next Generation Business Management

This product is a game-changer. Not only is your data retained better, it is retrieved quicker, work time is reduced exponentially, security is granular and well-protected, and analysis possibilities are endless! It is totally beyond me why anyone would use anything else to operate their business. SharePoint is nice for website management, but it costs you way too much as a tool to manage your business. Drop it now like a hot potato and get M-Files. It will save your company a ton of money in the long run.

Pros

Retrieval of documents, and analysis opportunities.

Cons

It takes some adjustment to move from a linear filing sensibility to a meta-data driven system. I still think linear. But I am getting over it!

Josemaria from Maynilad Student Services

50-year-old Archives... digitized!

M-Files is our repository of choice for all our digital assets. The M-Files server is secure, robust, and easy to manage. Files may be accessed via the main software, via an app, or even via a web browser. Plus, digital workflows have changed the way we work on documents, making it more streamlined, and efficient. We are confident that our archives and new files are safe from theft, loss, and unauthorized access.

Pros

M-files works seamlessly with Microsoft products (Windows Explorer, MS Office) which makes it easy to incorporate into our daily workflow. Our filing cabinet with 50 years worth of archives/documents have been digitally scanned recently, and M-files is our DMS of choice because of ease of use, integration with MS Office, secure vault features, OCR and powerful metadata tagging. Workflow design and implementation are easy since it is done via an intuitive graphical interface.

Cons

Licenses do not come cheap. Just make sure to figure out the best possible license type to your use-case (e.g., Concurrent for offices which can share licenses).

Karl from Bright Ideas

Full control of information

With M-Files we have full control of all sorts of information. Mails, invoices, drawings, memos, contracts and all other types of documents are available and easy to find for all relevant staff in the field as well as in the office. Tasks - once only as well as repeating tasks are documented and reminders sent to those in charge. Information is linked to customers, projects, people, equipment, tasks etc and you can sort and find it based on any of those metadata tags or even on full text search. A few seconds and you have found exactly what you need. No more paper, no more folders, never again.

Pros

Very user friendly, available on any platform, all your information is accessible anywhere anytime. Using workflows you can approve invoices etc. even when you are out of office.

Di from Ajendico Pty Ltd

Ajendico Pty Ltd

Took us a while to get the structure right and understand our choices but we had good training from our dealer. Once we got that right and locked out users so they could use the data but not update it and we controlled who could update and made sure they had appropriate training, it grew dramatically and is used heaps in our office

Pros

I like the fact that we know where everything is in our office

Cons

If you sold this to a site that is not disciplined at loading files, you could still get in a mess so it's the type of product that you need to play around with before going live to get the design right

Helga from Cancer Society of New Zealand

Great flexibility to streamline our processes and information management

We've recently implemented M-Files. It's very flexible and has made huge improvement to the way we manage our information and processes. It's easy to use but as with every new system it takes some a bit longer to get used to. The user guides are pretty minimal, especially from an administration perspective and there is not a dedicated support team that can help with queries. You are relying on the community of users (who are general very responsive and generous but may not necessarily respond to every query). It is good value for money but for a small charity like ours it's a huge investment but I am glad that we made it.

Pros

Flexibility, the ability to customise it exactly to your organisation's need.

Cons

Support and documentation

Response from M-Files

Replied April 2017

Thank you for your input about Customer Support and documentation. We are focused on improving the administration portions of our User Guide. As always, if you run into specific errors or unusual behavior, Customer Support can assist you in your efforts. However, more complex scripts and general assistance or debugging are best handled by Consulting as they can assess your needs and requirements.

Allan from Third Coast Terminals

Industry: Chemicals

Highly Recommended DMS

M-Files is highly flexible and can we easily customized to any needs you have. Most things done even need the assistance of a developer. It is a very stable platform and we have nothing but good things to say. Our organization is about 200 people and we use it for everything from HR documents to order and shipping related documents, as well as compliance documents and workflows.

Pros

Flexibility, Very easy to learn, Minimal end user training needed, Major updates and features added twice a year. Smooth office integration, Easy to integrate with ERP databases, Many layers of security including encrypted SQL database.

Corey from PLACE Designers

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Good Document Management Solution for most businesses

Learned what we did and did not want in a Document/Content Management Solution. We are currently shopping around for a better option.

Pros

User Interface is the same no matter the platform. The database residing in the cloud and off local servers is a huge plus, especially for off-site workers. But the structure and speed of the M-Files server is fantastic. Fully customizable to however you want to track your documents and tag your metadata. Tasks and Assignments were a huge plus. Plug-ins for Microsoft Office products all worked very well. Versioning of the documents was awesome. Working on documents locally and then saving incremental changes back to the server dramatically increased speed of working documents for us. (CAD drawings in particular)

Cons

We had 3 things that prevented us from being able to implement and use M-Files to the full. 1. Does not work with Revit's Central Module! Almost all of our architecture projects are built in Revit and they all utilize the Central Module to be effective. M-Filee's inability to comply with this, made it unusable for us. 2. User Interface was difficult for implementation. Many in the office are used to and prefer the windows folder structure and found that our method of tagging metadata and the general UI experience to be too time-demanding and different from what they were used to. 3. When the files are saved on the m-files server they are not saved in their native format (.dpf .xls. doc) they are saved in M-Files format. M-Files has an export feature that supposedly should allow you to get the files back in their native format. We did not like that option we wanted a way to be able to look through the M-Files vault, distinguish which files are which and then be able to save them back in their original format.

Scott from Martin Midstream Partners

M-files for Engineering

My primary interest in using M-Files is with regard to AutoCAD drawings. I think the final product that will be delivered will be great. However, during our vetting process where we were evaluating a couple of different products, I specified my "must haves", and we were told by the salesman that "M-Files can do that". He probably knew that if it couldnt, it was a deal breaker, so its hard for me to fault him. However, after committing and going through the discovery process, it became apparent that the product had been grossly oversold in terms of its capabilities to deal with AutoCAD drawings and especially Xrefs. My requirements had been clearly stated in the scope of work document. As I said, I think the final product that is to be delivered will be excellent, and to M-Files' credit you are honoring the scope of work committments, but it has taken much longer to get the final product delivered than I ever imagined it would take. Hopefully we will get the final product for testing in a few days. Fingers crossed.

Pros

Ease of use, appearance (good user interface.

Cons

Did not really have the capabilities with regard to AutoCAD documents that we were led to believe it had. These capabilities have had to be developed by M-Files, which has taken a long time.

Response from M-Files

Replied April 2017

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback, Scott. We are sorry to hear that there have been some issues related to managing your AutoCAD drawings and appreciate your patience as we work to solve them.

Rob from Mondi Limited

Industry: Paper & Forest Products

Crisp, clean, custom product design and easy to deploy into historical low tech savy organisation

Improved visibility of process, central repository for document management and a true understanding of process challenges which were previously hidden by paper workloads.

Pros

Can be customized to suit any business requirements. Great use of the workflow functionality, historical tracking and document management. M-Files was easy to deploy into organization due to simple UI with a great look and feel.

Cons

The fact that it now makes me want to convert everything I do onto the M-files platform and the amount of additional projects which have stemmed out of the roll out of a single requirement. Opened a whole new look at our business document process management. Wish we had found this sooner.

Andrea from Laboratory Certification Services, Inc.

Industry: Facilities Services

Small Business User

Overall M-Files is a great program. There is always room for improvement just like any other software program out there. My favorite part is that I don't have to pay someone else to make changes to my own company on the back end. I have almost full control over that aspect.

Pros

User Friendly, Have more control over my own company and set up.

Cons

Would like more search fields to narrow down a search. Takes a long time to get support for more in depth help like syncing other programs. When working on a project we have to try to get 3 people on our side to match up with one person on yours sides schedule. The support is not very flexible.

Response from M-Files

Replied April 2017

We appreciate your feedback about Customer Support and will work to improve our scheduling flexibility.

Graham from MIMI

Industry: Oil & Energy

Feature packed product for a low price entry point

We reviewed many software providers before deciding on M-Files and it was a choice based on features, support and value for money. M-Files has become a valuable tool in our organisation. The ability to customise almost everything from the way it looks to the way it functions with workflows has really allowed us to solve a lot of issues we had with storing and retrieving our important documents and information. M-Files comes as a blank canvas, so it is important to look at the sample vault and then work with your channel partner to plan your deployment, but as you start to use it, you realise more and more that it can do. I would recommend this to any business looking to implement a DMS

Pros

Easy to store information and allocate access to particular user groups Able to customise look Workflows are good

Cons

Metacard config needs improvements to make it faster to use and organise Admin access needs more granularity.

Alonso from Investar Financial Corporation

Industry: Investment Management

Two Thumbs Up!

M-Files has helped our organization to run more effectively since its integration. Organizing, maintaining, and sharing files has never been easier. Very effective and easy to use.

Pros

- Easy to use - Keeps files organized - Allows for accountability as well (who recorded/uploaded what, when, etc)

Cons

Number Formatting (no commas allowed, so 1,000,000 looks like 100000...not a big issue, but could be something for the future)

Becky from IDM Hospitality.com

A different way of thinking...

M-files was certainly a foreign way of thinking about our file management. However, once adopted it has transformed how our company thinks about WHAT is being saved and moved from place to place.

Pros

It's approachable and it works as an Add-In with other Microsoft products.

Cons

It is a little expensive for small businesses. It has so many features that we are not using because we don't have a designated IT person on staff to help to understand them all and put them into practice.

David from E.A. Fischione Instruments, Inc.

Industry: Semiconductors

Modern & Flexible CMS

This product brings managing & accessing your company documents into the 21st century. The ability to access all your documents from in our out of the office on any internet connected device is a game changer. No more needing to share files via dropbox or OneDrive. This product can do it all either with built-in functionality or via their API's.

Pros

Ease of having access to all of your documents

Cons

I wish that there was some built-in functionality for doing validation for workflows.

Response from M-Files

Replied April 2017

We are sorry to hear about your issues with the Chrome Plug-in and will reach out to you directly to address this issue.

Matthew from HBM nCode Federal LLC

M-Files helped us get our document management under control.

Pros

M-Files is a fantastic software for getting your file server and document management under control. It helps secure our files and teaches employees to be more careful in what they share due to its classification system. It was relatively easy to deploy and setup.

ILKER from FORD OTOSAN

New Trend to send the files.

You need to give some education to your users for better understanding.Otherwise ,your users might have difficulty in understanding and your user might have some claims about the program

Pros

You can set a group and send the file to this group who involves this group ,the M-file system sends a remind e-mail if somebody change something in the file system so I can understand when somebody upload a file. This is very good feature.

Cons

File transfer logic is a little bit different and it is not familiar to me because I was used to use easy cloud system such as apple cloud,etc..

Response from M-Files

Replied September 2019

Hello Ilker, thank you for your review of M-Files. We take these very seriously and would also like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you personally. If you are open to a discussion, you can contact me at my information provided.

Ravi from Travelshoppe Company Ltd

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

A perfect Content Management System

For the company right now, M-Files works and Management can access documents easily.

Pros

M-Files works well on a single machine or on a server. I have deployed it on to an i5 server and we are 5 users that use the software to search for Travel Coupons. Search feature works well and the best thing is that it integrates with Windows and Windows products like One Drive and Outlook. It makes it easier for us to share documents. The workflow feature is quiet robust and if thought out well can replace manual approval processes.

Cons

M-Files does not come fully packed with all features at a price point. We have to pay for Electronic Signature and If I want Digital Signature I have to pay 3rd party for the signature account and then M-Files for the integration. This is a bit tricky if you have budgeted an EDMS and all of a sudden all these pay walls appear. M-Files comes with Firebird DB embedded as default. It is quiet good but large organizations will have to move to MS SQL sooner than later as the retrieving becomes slower as there are more Objects in a Vault.

Response from M-Files

Replied September 2019

Hello Ravi, we are happy to hear that you find value in the M-Files workflow feature. I would also like an opportunity to discuss the other areas of your review where M-Files is not performing as you wished. If you are open to a conversation, please contact me. Thank you.

Benjamin from Toshiba

M-Files more then a DMS

M-files as a object oriented approach that let you customize the software for any information that you want to manage, i worked with many other DMS and competitor could compete with m-files

Pros

Very Flexible Easy to configure Workflow engine well design Pricing stucture make affordable for SMB or Entreprise

Cons

API document not up to date

Jim from Gold Business Technologies

Gold Business Technologies - Kamloops BC

I have been working with M-files for close to a year now and have of course learned in that time that M-files offers the most comprehensive information management solution than any other products we have had at our disposal. Our customers that need a solution are amazed at the power under the hood and the simplicity M-Files offers from the UI.

Pros

simple to learn, the user interface integrates into customers windows environment like nothing else i have seen. Very powerful under the hood and IT department see's great benefits to help manage their day to day issues and information management.

Cons

Haven't found any limitations since the new contract module was launched

Christian from M-Files Corporation

I love the ease of use and the technological advantage that M-Files 2018 provides.

Pros

its ease of use, its flexibility to configure, its metadata approach, its visionary approach towards intelligent information management, its platform thinking, its integration possibilities, no more silos, etc.

Cons

The iOS environment is not yet state of the art, however M-Files and its partners are working on a client.

Robert from Millar Western

Industry: Environmental Services

IT Supervisor

Management of Change - Where M-Files users respond to a topic and must be current. AutoCAD files dump into M-Files - Users can view documents about the factory. Over all M-Files works well and a person is dumping AutoCAD files on a daily basis into M-Files. Dennis Street has helped with many questions. A good guy to deal with.

Pros

Reliable, easy to use, a good database program.

Cons

Nothing to mention

Best application ever!

Pros

The posibilite to integrate M-Files with the data of other applications running in the company. So we benefit from the data that we had validated over the years.

Cons

Some problems with the length of some of the names documents. there is problem with documents that have more than 250 characters

Traci from Best Start Educare

Generally good but would like to see more functionality particularly with search and view

Single document repository, simplified document retrieval

Pros

Having a single Repository for our documents and not having to save/search by location simplifies things

Cons

Adobe DC issues blank/corrupt and/or not saving (but not giving an error). When I add a property of AKA the AKA does not default off the Real Estate & When I then search by AKA the new docs not found (unless I have manually added AKA). Can't add doc to multi-file by file/save as. Can't file/save as/replace e.g. open PDF in Acrobat to edit it must save outside vault then Replace file with. Want more operators in search & view: like, is not =, or, wild card. Want to be able to create a new view directly from a search result. Want ability to split/save multi page PDFs. eg 10 invoices as single PDF we currently have to split/save outside vault first.Manually created permissions are complicated. Need to use windows command `open with for likes of Visio want it to be able to open app by default based on file type. Want more options for notifications. Error msgs do not define the issue clearly. eg `cannot call methods on mftextcontrol prior to initialization; attempted to call method `setToeditMode which we often receive when saving a new document

Neill from Consentia Inc

M-Files is a powerful document management system with a great user interface.

Huge time savings, improved project management.

Pros

User interface - it's familiar yet flexible, and very powerful. It's obvious that a lot of time was spent developing it. Connectivity - the ability to pull indexing data from other databases is an incredible time saver and keeps records accurate. Power - the way metadata can be parsed, re-used, and filtered is a huge benefit for naming conventions and searching and sorting files.

Cons

It would be great if platforms other than WIndows were better supported (Mac, Linux). I would like to see dedicated clients and better Chrome plugin support for non-Windows systems.

Luke from thinkLuke

It has really helped our business stream our document management, saving lots of time!

Save time with document retrieval and looking for files. Tracking document changes. Taking photos on phone and document scanning is great.

Pros

M-Files is really easy to use as it integrates directly with Microsoft windows. Tracking document changes are great. Searching for files is very fast, even in the cloud. Once properly setup it is really great, We used an Australian company, they know pretty much everything about it! It is cheaper now.

Cons

Files have to be saved with keywords so they can be found easily. You really need a third party company like to help setup automation and workflows to get the full benefits.

A useful product for cloud file storage

As the norm is changing from physical to cloud storage for most companies, I am able to keep & tag my files accordingly when uploading; possibly preventing a mess in my hard drive.

Pros

It enables the user to create specific group where he/she can share any file instantly.

Cons

Its storage system is not based on folders but rather files only. This ends up taking too much time if you need to upload a huge set of files.

Response from M-Files

Replied September 2019

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you find value in sharing files with the use of M-Files. We would, however, like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you around some of your other experiences with M-Files. If you are open to a conversation, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Rosie from Commerce Management Group

the ease of using this software is great I really enjoy working with it

The benefits is placing all our clients in one location. Having all employees access the files and doing work quicker. saving space on computers.

Fernando from WECHU

Changes everything!

M-Files continues to become more valuable for our agency every day. Starting with one department at a time, we've realized many benefits of implementing workflows and classifying documents. The scalability of the software allows for great flexibility. If you can think it, M-Files can do it.

Pros

Scalability, ease of use.

Cons

Can be expensive to implement

Nuno from IGas PLC

Industry: Oil & Energy

It's the best DMS I ever worked!

Pros

The fact that it's not only a common DMS but we can develop businesses processes with electronic documents and all the workflows, notifications and views features.

Cons

Nothing to declare. I really like to work with the software. It would be a good idea to have a UK 24hours support.

Hayati from Ford Motor Company

One of the best communication software for bussiness

Pros

Integration with outlook is fantastic. I can see who is online or not. Its beneficial for resolving business issues and breaking the ice within international project teams.

Cons

Its slow if it automatically launches during the start up.

Tore Svenning from iStone Norge AS

Easy to learn, understand and to use. I allways find what I'm looking for

LinkedIn

Pros

I allways find what I'm looking for when I search in M-Files, but alsow when I go to views that is build by administrators or myselves.

Cons

I could have been integrated bether with SharePoint, but I have heard that this is coming :-)