All OnBoard Reviews

Wendy

51 - 200 employees

Used less than 12 months

Reviewed March 2021

OnBoard Keeps me on-board!

Nicolas

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Reviewed July 2022

Drive well-planned meetings

PROS

The entire meeting planning process is very easy to manage. It allows all our team members to collaborate in real time from anywhere at any time using different endpoints. The minute generator greatly simplifies the workflow. It provides automated meeting summaries that provide highly significant information for later analysis.

CONS

It has a wide variety of functions that for new users it is a bit complicated to start using it.

Carole

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Exceptional software and professional employees

The benefits from implementing OnBoard for our board management are countless! From day one the staff was professional, advised us during implementation, friendly, and respond immediately. It was a seamless implementation process. Our board started using OnBoard and instantly approved of using the portal for all board management. As the lead administrator and developer of the portal I have enjoyed the entire process and love all aspects of OnBoard and the staff. They provide ongoing training webinars and tutorials for new users. They are innovative and ask clients for feedback and features they would like implemented into OnBoard. I have recommended OnBoard to others and would highly recommend OnBoard to anyone considering board management software.

PROS

Impactful features include composing the agenda from a word document, Zoom links can be accessed from OnBoard, improved calendar, Resource Library. User friendly. New features, upgrades, and improvements implemented on an on-going basis. Integration was seamless.

CONS

There are no aspect of this software that are difficult to use. Seriously, there is nothing I don't like about OnBoard.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

Features, the look of the product, easy to use, amazing staff, and pricing!

Reasons for switching to OnBoard

We wanted a board management software that was user friendly. We found that with OnBoard.

PAULA

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used more than 2 years

RRTS

It's not as user-friendly as I had expected. Understand I have not used this type of software before, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was presented as such a phenomenal tool, and given my experience with it, I don't agree with that assessment.

PROS

It is not terribly complicated to use once you experience it and understand it, but I struggled with the limited instructions that are available to help you learn. I have been struggling with entering a survey, where the same answer options will be given for each question (and not the options you provide). After working on this over the course of 2 days and pulling my hair out at times, I called CS and heard 'oh yeah, that's easy to do" (of course your CS rep would say that, he's been taught how to complete the task). But I shouldn't have had to call CS for the answer; it should be in some tutorial or book at my fingertips.

CONS

It does not appear to be as customizable as we would like . . . we don't have the ability to change any formatting or appearance of the printed product, we don't seem to have the ability to add items to the agenda unless they are listed as an agenda item (sometimes we just want to add a footnote or additional note of explanation).

Beth

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Reviewed August 2021

OnBoard has made my job so much easier!

PROS

We used to produce a printed and bound board book for each meeting, requiring materials to be submitted far in advance, and last-minute changes were not able to be included. OnBoard gives me the flexibility to continue to make changes right up to the meeting date. Board members are able to access the virtual board book from wherever they are using the device that they prefer. We are also able to use OnBoard for committee meetings and cabinet meetings and capture any votes that take place directly in OnBoard. I also use the polls/voting option almost daily with cabinet. There are many small items that need cabinet consensus and instead of waiting until the next cabinet meeting, we upload the needed documentation and send it out for a vote. The results are recorded in OnBoard for future reference, which is especially helpful for any board votes needed during the audit. I also love the ease of use and implementation. I have had to do very little individual training with board members, and customer service has been super responsive whenever I (or a board member) has had an issue.

CONS

It would be great to be able to store a little more information about board members that you could run a report on - such as term information, etc.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

At the time we were choosing the layout and ease of use seemed more user-friendly.

Barbara

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed August 2020

Fast, Efficient, Intuitive

Prior to using OnBoard, Board meeting preparation used to take an entire day to assemble hard copy books, plus the cost of all the paper and three ring notebooks. I can now upload the materials and finalize the Board books in 60 - 90 minutes. In addition, hard copy books had to either be hand delivered by college personnel, or shipped UPS, especially if a member was traveling. The use of OnBoard eliminated the need for all that. Plus, the Board members appreciate not having all those accumulated books to contend with.

PROS

OnBoard is very user-friendly for both the administrator and the user. This feature is especially important for users who have various levels of comfort and expertise with technology. Our college switched to OnBoard in October 2014, and before that our Board meeting books were produced on paper. OnBoard has streamlined the Board meeting preparation process, and I like the ability to make last minute changes to the materials, to which the users have access immediately. Using OnBoard is also much more convenient for those members who may be traveling; they can log into their Board materials on any device from anywhere. In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, OnBoard quickly created a Zoom/OnBoard interface that allows users to long into Zoom through OnBoard, and eliminate the need for two devices. The OnBoard team reacted quickly to provide a convenient solution for a pesky problem.

CONS

Integration with our existing processes was not difficult. OnBoard provided online training to the administrators, and because the software is easy to use, it did not require multiple training sessions. OnBoard has continued to refine and add other features, some of which I cannot use since ours is a public board. The only thing I would change would be to allow an entire group of members to be blocked from viewing a section. Currently, I only have the option to block individuals. A bit inconvenient, but by no means a deal breaker. And that will probably be corrected in a future software update.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

The two criteria in which I was most interested were user-friendly, intuitive software with a reasonable price. I wanted a software that offered the features I needed, but not so feature-heavy that made it difficult to use and would unnecessarily drive up the price. OnBoard checked off all boxes.

Heather

Government Administration, 51-200 employees

Easy to Use and Responsive Customer Service

We have used online board books for over 6 years, but just within the last year switched to using OnBoard. Going to from hard copy materials to digital is a HUGE time and money saver, but switching from a basic agenda book system to OnBoard has simply made everyone's days more efficient. OnBoard provides a one-stop shop for my board members. It makes their service to our organization more professional and my service to them a lot easier and less time consuming. Additionally, the customer service at OnBoard is phenomenal. They take every concern and suggestion seriously and judiciously. That was an extremely nice perk that I didn't expect.

PROS

The program is easy to use and quick to implement. Users can be set up in minutes and begin working right away. I also like that there is a built in resources section so the app can be an all in one portal for users.

CONS

This is some slight lag time in building agendas - my fingers type faster than the program saves - and I often have to go back retype items that didn't save in time. Would also like a little more customization in the emails sent, the agenda templates, and table of contents template.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

Easy to understand annual fee, clear features, their willingness to expand their offerings based on our needs, AGB materials included with annual fee

Reasons for switching to OnBoard

OnBoard provided additional features that were needed and not provided by our prior service

Aaron

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed November 2019

(Almost) Perfect App for Boards and Committees

We have been able to upload all of our board and committee documentation in one place. This makes it exceptionally easy to update and share with anyone who has access. We no longer have to print out hundreds of pages for meetings or the Board Orientation Manual. Using OnBoard has allowed us to navigate through our meetings much more fluidly. The more we've used it, the easier it is to leverage.

PROS

Plenty of room for expansion should the need arise. Extremely feature-filled. Easy but secure log-on (multi-factor identification). Passageways customer satisfaction team seems responsive to our suggestions and needs and incorporates/updates with some frequency.

CONS

Not the most intuitive in the world to navigate but has improved over time. Wish the screen re-sizing options were somehow less clumsy/clunky. Printing documents or agendas still requires multiple steps.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

Filled all of our essential requirements and was preferred by our board members when we demonstrated it. Pricing was inline with our budget, although on the higher end. We appreciated having unlimited storage and the ability to add users later on.

Thank you for taking the time to review OnBoard! We will take almost perfect, so thank you. We are always trying to innovate and push things to the next level for you. Otherwise, we are glad that you are happy.

Replied November 2019

Tom

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Reviewed September 2023

Excellent system for board management

Our experience has been excellent. The learning curve is short and the feedback from board members has been very favorable. They express that they like the fact that all organizational information can be found in the portal.

PROS

Being able to have a single portal to manage meetings, documents, and communication among board members are among the strongest aspects of OnBoard.

CONS

The biggest challenge is adoption of the system by your board. Some will be intimidated because it is cloud based but even the most reluctant have been able to easily use the platform.

Reviewed March 2020

Easy interface

Most functionalities in OnBoard are much easier to use, both as an administrator and as a user. Customer service response has been good, but there are some features that they haven't been able to improve upon (ie agenda).

PROS

The OnBoard portal is easy for our board members to use with fewer clicks to get the information they need for their meeting. The view is the same from different devices which makes it easier for them to move between laptop and phone views. Having access to AGB resources is invaluable.

CONS

The feature I would like to see improved the most is the downloaded version of the agenda to Word from the agenda created on the site. It takes a lot of formatting changes to make it look good. The version that downloads is very difficult to read. We have tried uploading our own agenda, but then we lose the nice online version when we pull up the meeting book.

Reasons for switching to OnBoard

Easier user interface; access to AGB publications; better flow and easier to upload meeting documents.

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Reviewed May 2021

Easy to use and excellent customer care

Above all, the customer service has been fantastic from exploration to implementation to now customer check-ins. The price is pretty good too.

PROS

The platform is simple to use and the app is great.

CONS

Some issues with figuring out how to attach a presentation to the meeting.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

OnBoard had a more robust package and better nonprofit pricing.

Reasons for switching to OnBoard

Boardvantage was VERY expensive, the platform was old and clunky, and the app was useless.

Melinda (Mel)

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed February 2020

SO glad we made the switch!

Our experience with OnBoard has been excellent. From the sales reps. to the account managers to our Implementation Manager - everyone has been very responsive and helpful.

PROS

OnBoard is user-friendly and quite intuitive; it has been a life-saver when making last-minute changes to meeting agendas and materials; it's compatible with both Apple and Android devices; and going paperless has saved us a significant amount of time and money.

CONS

1. Honestly, it's a bit on the pricey side. 2. When an agenda item (title, time, position on agenda, presenter, supporting document, etc.) changes, the software rebuilds the entire board book and any user's annotations/notes disappear - even if their annotations were made to a section that wasn't changed. It would be great if there was a way to retain an individual user's notes/annotations. 3. In the Analytics section, instead of just an Aggregate Count of Book Views by Role and an Aggregate Count of Meeting Views by Role, I would LOVE to be able to see exactly who has viewed board books and meetings so we can track who is engaged on the portal and reach out to those who are not and see if they need additional training or assistance navigating the portal.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

We chose OnBoard because of the user-friendliness and the availability of customer service and tech support.

Jyl

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Why we prefer OnBoard by Passageways

Our board members have made the transition to OnBoard very quickly and have commented that they find it very intuitive to use. It is a great tool to keep our board members engaged with the college. We can post important announcements and know they will be seen. The Resource section allows us to have all our documents stored in one secure place. I appreciate the monthly webinars on tips and tricks for using the portal in new and different ways.

PROS

I like the fact that OnBoard now has the Zoom platform available. Our board has gone to virtual meetings over the last six months and the Zoom feature in OnBoard makes it very easy to set up the meeting and notify board members.

CONS

Currently I still need to keep some board records in a separate spreadsheet, such as term lengths and dates members will be up for reelection. I have discussed this with the developers. It is possible that this will be remedied for administrators in a future update of the product.

Reasons for switching to OnBoard

BoardMax had been purchased by Diligent Books and the customer service for that program declined. We were interested in something a bit more up-to-date and easy to use.

Nichole

Banking, 201-500 employees

Reviewed March 2021

First year review

Very pleased with OnBoard and the feedback we have received. Blows our last provider out of the water.

PROS

Easy to use as an administrator, user friendly for board members, streamlined processes built in, technology works

CONS

No expense management system built in, but something that could be added in the future possibly

Reason for choosing OnBoard

Products were very similar overall, but preferred OnBoard and the service provided.

Reasons for switching to OnBoard

Technology consistently failed, things never worked as they were supposed, no auto sync, login issues, etc.

Philanthropy, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2022

Great Product So Far

Great customer service from day one, and I mean from the first sales/demo meeting we had with them. We were given a lot of support to successfully manage a trial. Our salesperson took the time to help figure out a process for us to incorporate our e-voting needs.

PROS

The voting tools are fantastic. Approvals were really the biggest function we were looking for and the fact that you can integrate a discussion in to an approval has made our e-voting process very smooth

CONS

Although this is really intuitive on the user end, I had a real learning curve figuring out some of the admin features. This could be in part that this portal is completely unlike the one we used in the past. The customer success manager has been great - willing to schedule as much time as we need.

knowledgeable staff, better tools

Reasons for switching to OnBoard

wanted something more streamlined and less "clunky" - easier for board members

William

Utilities, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed July 2020

Flexibility of uploads

I have been impressed with OnBoard since our executive secretary brought us the product to test. I had hoped for something that was user friendly, more flexible for the various report files we upload, and lower cost than our past product. All of these were checked off the list.

PROS

In our last board product, it was necessary to convert the files all to .pdf format prior to upload. Upon converting to OnBoard we found the ability to upload various file formats a big time saver for the team putting together all of the reports. And from my own standpoint the ability for board members to share their annotations with me prior to the board meeting is another big time saver during the meeting.

CONS

I still find there are features I didnt know existed, or I havent been using, so I dont believe I know enough about the software to say that I dislike anything. The software works well and is easy to move from one report to the other.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

Ease of file upload which led to hours a month in time savings for our cooperative.

Reasons for switching to OnBoard

Primarily cost, and ease of use.

Bonnie

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Best decision ever!

Our trustees love OnBoard. From the users perspective, it is perfect! From my perspective as the admin, I can't imagine an easier transition/implementation. Everyone I've worked with, from sales, through the implementation process, are professionals and willing to help me any way they can. No question goes unanswered. It has been an amazing experience and I'm excited to learn and utilize more of what OnBoard has to offer.

PROS

Very easy to use and implementation has been seamless.

CONS

Setting roles/terms was the most tedious part in our setup. Instructions were okay; it took the longest to understand.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

We did not look at alternative products. After seeing the demonstration, we knew it was the best and only choice for us.

Reasons for switching to OnBoard

BoardBook Classic was our first attempt at Board management software and it worked well for about five years. Then they moved to BoardBook Premier and it was not a smooth transition because they released Premier while they were still creating training videos and user guides which created chaos. That was when we decided to find out more about OnBoard.

Malissa

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed November 2019

OnBoard Review

We are new to OnBoard, using it just with a beta group at our last board meeting. We intend a full roll-out to the board at our next meeting in a few months. I have been very impressed with the product so far. In addition, the support I've received as far as training goes has been very helpful in getting our portal established.

PROS

I like the ease of creating meetings and then making changes and edits to those meetings. Having changes updated immediately and for those changes to be readily available is very important to us as we go through our book building process. Before using OnBoard, something as minor as a meeting location change would require emails to committee members, etc. Now, we just have to update the meeting in OnBoard and the information is accurate and up-to-date.

CONS

I would like more controls when it comes to the PDF version of the board book. Having the ability to add a bookmark or something to a page, where you can access it in a flash, would be helpful. Maybe this option is available and I just haven't figured it out yet.

Reason for choosing OnBoard

The relationship with AGB and the resulting discount on pricing was very influential in our decision to go with OnBoard.

Thank you for taking the time to review OnBoard! I'm so glad that ease of use is really coming through for you and that you've changed your whole processes to better accommodate it. There are options to make annotations or notes and then search them. Maybe that would help? Either way, I will be sure to bring up a "bookmark" feature to Product.

Replied November 2019