All Valant EHR Suite Reviews

Kenneth

1 employee

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2021

Well suited my my solo practice and for expanding its use to other clinicians

Teresa

Reviewed March 2023

Highly recommended!

The business benefits include a significant decrease in time spent on administrative tasks and documentation leaving me more time for clients, myself, and reducing my overall stress level. Additional business benefits include increased confidence for accuracy in billing and being paid in a timely manner, also increased confidence that my clinical documentation will meet or exceed audit requirements. And as a clinician, it enhances my ability to provide more meaningful assessments to clients.

PROS

Valant is a clinically comprehensive and sound software that is intuitive to practitioners and user-friendly. It provides exceptional options to support top-notch clinical documentation, organize and track all functions in charts, scheduling, and billing, it includes customizable options for calendars, documents, notes, treatment plans, and so on. Using this software makes my record-keeping and all other administrative tasks easy, fast, accurate, and saves me valuable time and provides excellent security and peace of mind. Also, their customer support is the best I have ever encountered.

CONS

Integration with my previous business was quick and easy. I find all the features exceed my expectations. I did not find the webinars particularly helpful; although they were well-organized, for me they moved too fast through too much new information and I wasn't able to grasp or retain it well. The ability to grasp the user skills was greatly enhanced by the Knowledge Base provided and by patient and knowledgeable customer service personnel that could walk me through some processes and explain things and answer questions during the process.

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

Valant had many more and higher quality options for both clinical and administrative tasks.

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

I went into business from a group practice to a solo practice, and I had found TheraNest, which the group practice used, to be unsatisfactory clinically and cumbersome and confusing to use.

Elizabeth

Valant EHR Review

I am very glad that we decided to go with Valant.

PROS

Valant was the best choice for our behavioral health clinic. They continue to update and expand features that have improved the functioning of our system. It has saved time and worked well with our systems. Billing was a major improvement and linking to our Calander and notes was essential.

CONS

There are some features in the assessment and MTP that could be improved for our particular uses. Also billing is slightly complicated and could be simplified with some small adjustments. I do however appreciate the flexibility.

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

There were other products not listed, however we met with each one extensively and found that Valant most closely met our needs at a price point that was affordable.

Nigel

Hospital & Health Care, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2024

Expensive and outdated but with great customer support

n summary, high price, tired appearance and clunky performance. For a solo, cash only practice, I would suggest Simple Practice is a cheaper and comparable (often better) alternative. For prescribers - sign up for an independent e prescribing account, 600-800 per year depending on the platform. If you have a group practice and are looking to track insurance integration, this is probably Valant’s strength but if this is your primary aim, there are better alternatives on the market. Charging fees for services which are “Standard” on other platforms adds to the bloated cost. That being said, the customer service was excellent. My questions were answered by email and phone relatively quickly and I cannot thank them enough.

PROS

- Calendar - scheduling/billing/notes accessed all from one screen. - Integrated CC processing. Third party processor (Elavon) provides details statements for easy bookkeeping. -Easy to submit insurance claims (albeit only after a protracted setup process with Change Healthcare) - Insurance ERA integration (not perfect - for example UHC has many subsidiaries and it requires registering each once with Change Healthcare for the ERAs to appear in Valant. This is a hugely time consuming process and I never managed to get all my payers correctly registered.) - Reliable. Minimal downtime. Support is very accessible. - Pt statements are simple and clear and superbills have been consistently accepted by payors without any issue - Able to integrate multiple providers and multiple locations. Effective for tracking insurance reimbursement from multiple payers across multiple locations. This is Valet’s key strength.

CONS

- Looks and handles like Windows Vista. Clunky and outdated. Functions are often behind multiple drop-down menus and not always intuitively bundled together.. However, it functions well enough once learnt. - Significant learning curve, particularly in understanding the billing/accounting aspects. Educational videos are detailed but incredibly dry and time consuming to work through - Integrated CC processor is expensive! An additional $2-3 per visit billed quickly adds up and is a high price to pay for convenience. - No personalization of notes/documents beyond the provided templates, many of which are outdated and redundant. There is the option to add a blank tab and use a third party software like text expander to add in templates that way. - Esignitaure for documents is an additional fee. This quickly became prohibitively expensive. I returned to using third party options such as DocuSign and Adobe Sign, both of which were cheaper. Note that this function is free with Simple Practice which is over 60% cheaper! - Note writer is tabbed, awkward and clunky. Unable to scroll through the note as a whole. Option to add Macro is outdated. I used TextExpander as it was faster, despite additional expense - The patient portal is unreliable. I had patients complain about being redirected to a portal for another practice, for example. This raised other concerns about data security and HIPAA. - Note writing tool is difficult to customize and cumbersome to operate. Notes are difficult to customize and the available options are often outdated and include multiple redundant options. - Templates were clunky and awkward to customize. The tabbed interface is cumbersome and outdated. The templates are very click heavy with a lot of redundant information and the notes generated are often bloated which makes reviewing far more labor intensive and time consuming than it needs to be. The notes are generated only as pdf files which makes searching through past documents a painful process of downloading each note in turn or downloading the whole lot, every time you need to check the plan form the last visit or the labs from two visits ago… - “Integrated” prescribing is actually a link-out to Rcopia. Cannot navigate back and forth between prescribing window and pt notes. Be aware that a standalone DrFirst account costs approximately $650 per year and the standalone experience is identical. There is no benefit of using the software “through” Valant and it is inaccurate to describe it as “integrated”. It isn’t. - Mobile app is an HTML throwback that made me nostalgic for college. Limited functionality makes it practically unusable. -Notes are turned in to pdf files on signing which makes searching or quickly reading past notes very difficult. Open each pdf individually rather than scrolling through text in the window. - Very expensive. Double the cost of some competitors. $300 + per provider plus additional costs for Rcopia and additional costs for electronic document handling and costs for patient reminders. All becomes very expensive very quickly. Unless I were filing a significant number of insurance claims or managing insurance claims across multiple locations and providers, it is hard to justify the high price tag. Even so, there are cheaper alternatives. Simple Practice has comparable functionality and is a third of the price. Even accounting for a third party e prescribing service. Patient age - this sounds minor but grows to become a major annoyance. The patients’ age is only displayed on the patient record screen so when not writing or prescribing, it involves clicking through another couple of screens in a new tab. It doesn’t sound much but, believe me, these wasted seconds add up over time and grow to become a major annoyance.

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

I was sold on the insurance processing capabilities and the mental health tailored aspects of the software

Carolina

Review Valant

PROS

I like that everything EHR is in 1 place adn the system is user friendly

CONS

the times when the system server acts up bc then we cannot do anything

we wanted everything to be in 1 system-

Sheryl

Mental Health Care, 201-500 employees

Reviewing Valant from the Nurse

My overall experience with Valant has been very positive I believe. It has been fairly easy to navigate and find and access what I need to do my job. That said it has made my job a whole lot easier and less stressful than having to deal with , say Epic, which took me a good 2 months to learn to navigate . I feel I can do my job more efficiently when I can access what I need in less time.

PROS

Valant has been the easiest EHR for me to use in navigating as a nurse. It is easy to pend medications for Providers to sign off on, easy to put notes in a chart when patients call. I find most aspects very user friendly and enjoy sending PA's from the Dashboard also instead of going to Cover My Med's.

CONS

The thing I like least about Valant would be the difficulty in selection of Pharmacy's in Rcopia at times. That can be a real pain.

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

Because I changed jobs, went from working with a Pediatric Group to a Psychiatric group.

Ann

Mental Health Care, 51-200 employees

User's Side of the Story

It had given me more time to do other things that use to go on the back burner

PROS

Ease of ERA posting verses hand inputing

CONS

Modifiers are time consuming to add and some reports are not easy to use

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

Valant offered ERA and other paperless options

Reviewed March 2022

Unduly burdensome, lacking need documentation

I cannot be done with it soon enough

PROS

Easy for revenue management.

CONS

The clinical forms are unwieldy, lack logical flow and structure of information and the treatment plan goals and objectives do not pull into the progress notes. It is nearly impossible to figure out documenting a telephone call. There is no termination/discharge note. To add information to sections of notes, you must click between tabs. Overall for clinical documentation, it is subpar. It does not meet the requirements of my state's department of human services guidelines.

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

To increase features for clients, particularly clearly readable invoices and the ability to message securely.

Miriam

Reviewed October 2023

Good product for MH but could be better

There are many times I wish things were different with Valant. It is enough of a problem I grumble a lot, but it has not gotten to the level that I have changed EHR providers. Many things work well, but when doing a free trial, you don't get deep enough into the platform to really look at all the miniscule features. I don't know that there is a better platform, but I really wish the engineers would speed up the calendar and add a way for patients to reply back to appt reminders (I've been asking for that feature for years).

PROS

For the cost, Valant has a good set of features (appointments, notes, billing are all integrated in one system)

CONS

Since the new platform came out a couple years ago, the suite has been slow. Valant has tried to implement more and more new features instead of getting the core features working better. Why add telehealth when your calendar takes multiple seconds (5-10) to load when moving from screen to screen? This is just one example.

Price, integrated billing procedures

Andrea

Reviewed September 2018

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

We have had problems with getting any customer service and help with technical issues. They have told us for at least 2 years that an upgrade was coming to the system so we did not change after the first year because we were holding out, but now it has been too long and we are seeking a new provider.

PROS

Ease of use with scheduling and documenting

CONS

If you ever want to add a user, make changes, have questions for support they take weeks to respond and typically do not resolve your issue. We have had problems with the e-prescribe since day one (3 years ago) and it has yet to be resolved. We have also been told since day one that they were upgrading the system soon so that other features like payment online could be taken and we are still waiting on this.

Stephannie

Valant Will Work For You

I have had some challenges since the beginning using Valant. It seems the IT people have been working on fixing several of these issues over the years. So my experience has improved over time.

PROS

Valant is pretty easy to use and navigate. I appreciate that Valant is always making updates or fixes to common issues.

CONS

What I like least is the lack of enough information provided about scoring some assessments available in the HELP section.

Melissa

Reviewed February 2019

Overpriced for an outdated, frustratingly slow and buggy system

Was hopeful but after signing on under the promise of an upgrade due 6 months after my contract started, a year later I am still waiting for said upgrade while now we are experiencing so many crashes and freezes a day, we literally don't have time to call and report anymore as it is now costing me money to use the program, staff who are now drastically impacted by them not being able to perform their job in a timely and efficient fashion, and then sit on hold for 45 minutes to report an issue that we reported numerous times without being provided an actual solution or anything that would make it worth staying with them while we are being negatively impacted on a daily basis due to these technical issues.

PROS

It had all the components I need for a large practice, billing, scheduling, note templates, cc integration, e-prescribing, reports, and reminders and some extra like a portal, although useless, measures, and the ability to have seperate locations.

CONS

Where do I start? Crashes numerous times a day is the biggest one, won't sync to a google calendar in the right time zone, there is no mobile app, just a mobile site version, client portal doesn't do much of anything other than send measures to clients to fill out in advance, be able to download a pdf of their statement, and send secure messages to one provider only. Would it be too much to ask to be able to send intake paperwork for an electronic signature or at least be able to integrate with an e-sign program like Intake Q? If you have a multi-specialty practice which has a prescriber, clients can not send secure messages to their therapist and to their prescriber. Clients can't send messages to the admin or schedulers. It only sends an email users that they have a secure message in Valant to review if it comes from a client but not from another user in the practice. The reminders are queued up to be sent out 72 hours in advance so if clients cancel after that, they still get reminders. Reminders don't include office location if you have multiple office locations and can't be customized. Even though the note templates are expansive for some reason, some of the fields that are present on both intake and return visit notes, not all of the content from those fields carry over from the intake into a return visit progress note such as mental health history! And that field is one that will appear on all notes even when it is not filled out, unlike some tabs that will be omitted

JOhn

Reviewed October 2020

Director

Valant is a complete nightmare and are thinking about dumping it.

PROS

if I could think of any I would gladly post one

CONS

Customer service is a joke, I have spent over an hour trying to get help and when I finally got a person they had me on hold for another half and hour. When she came back on the phone and transferred me it went back to the start and I waited for another 15 minutes before I gave up. I am an accountant and the billing system is beyond stupid! I have never had to go through so many steps to enter one payment. They only want you to use the clearinghouse that they setup. Problem is it rejects nearly every claim, which causes backups. My providers complain about how complicated notes were, I have lost sever providers because of it.

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

competitor providers recommended it, now I see why they wanted us to go out of business

John, we are very sorry for the long wait time you experienced trying to connect with our support team. That level of service is completely unacceptable to us, as well. We want to reassure you that this is not the experience you will receive from Valant moving forward. With a renewed focus on service, we have recently implemented some radical changes to our customer support process, reducing our average wait time to less than two minutes, which is now lower than the industry average. Should you choose to contact Valant Support again, you will see this positive change for yourself. Regarding the billing and documentation issues you mentioned, we are surprised to hear this feedback and hope you give us the opportunity to better understand the issues and help resolve them for you. Your Customer Success Manager will be reaching out to learn more and partner with you on finding an acceptable solution. Again, we appreciate your feedback and are committed to regaining your trust and loyalty.

Replied October 2020

Nelda

Reviewed March 2021

Senior Citizen Can Use it Daily and Smile!

Excellent. Good value for the money. Easy access to everything our mental health practice needs to assure professional documentation and accountability. When we first began, a phone call was answered by the second ring. Now, it takes an extra step or two, but call backs DO happen without a second call within the same business day. We will remain a Valant customer!

PROS

Ease of use! Every thing I need to schedule, bill, check the providers documentation, reconcile patient accounts, is all in view. A click or two and it is done. I appreciate the Knowledge Base feature for information and Contact Support feature for prompt assistance. The Report tool has become a favorite for providing clear data to the providers/owners. Training modules are required for our new hires before they see me - provides basic process information that is easy for me to extend so new hires (providers) get with it quickly. But for my primary job, billing process is done daily with just a few clicks of the mouse!

CONS

Sometimes I feel like it has too much to offer a practice. I know it can do much more for our small practice than we know how to use effectively. The PHD among us struggles with the features in Mobile Notes - mostly because he has struggled to "change" his established process for documenting. Valant has allowed templates to be added that make his work for comfortable.

Reason for choosing Valant EHR Suite

Cost factor was first - followed closely by customer service. We were new to electronic records - we were using flip phones! Customer service was always a phone call away: positive, patient, friendly services. Even now, once in a while, I call with a billing step question specifically for add-on procedures, sometimes it is clear to me that they don't immediately know the steps I need but they work through the problem with me and talk me through the process successfully. Customer Service is a thing of the past in most places, but NOT at Valant.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Nelda!

Replied March 2021

Donna

Reviewed October 2017

Good, but with a few stupid annoying issues

Tech support people are nice, but when there is a system-wide issue, they do not answer the phones. They have been unable to solve the repeated crashing of Silverlight and the issue with not accepting diagnoses when entered in mobile notes.

PROS

I like that it is just for psychiatry and I like mobile notes. I like having integrated prescribing, billing, and credit card processing, electronic EOB's from payers. I like that there is an app for my iPad and iPhone so I can take a quick look at notes and write prescriptions. I like the reminders that the system gives, the ease of scheduling appointments and entering payments. With an electronic EOB, you just hit a button and all the payments and adjustments are recorded automatically. Beware that the integrated insurance clearing house adds more to the monthly fee you pay.

CONS

I have been using this for 10 months. There are recurring problems that no one can seem to solve. When I entered nonclinical patient information in the "patients" tab and hit save, Microsoft internet explorer would crash, but not every time. I made repeated calls to tech support and their solution was to change browsers to Firefox. I have done so, but still have the same issue except the message on my computer is that the Silverlight plug-in has crashed. This happens several times per day. In mobile notes, there is no functionality of the tab button (for indentation) when I am trying to write a note and this annoys me to no end. The system has crashed several times in the past 10 months, never for more than a few hours, but enough to disrupt my workflow. I had to write a few paper prescriptions when the mobile notes and e-Prescribing crashed the other day. The patient's diagnoses can be entered using mobile notes, but then, I have to open the patient chart and reenter them or else when I go to bill, it says there is no visit diagnosis. I have asked about this multiple times. Navicure, the integrated insurance clearinghouse just raised their rates.

Brenda

Reviewed July 2023

Would recommend Valant for Mental Health

The reason we have stayed with Valant since 2016 is the ease of navigating the flow of the work. Documentation and the way it prints out in a professional manner is a plus, customer service - especially for billing - they go above and beyond to resolve issues/answer questions. Never make you feel inadequate. Appointment reminders have made a huge difference in reducing no shows.

PROS

Customer support is awesome. Usually the wait time to talk to a live person is short and usually the person answering the phone can resolve the issue without having to escalate it. The billing system takes time to understand how all pieces work together - but after practice and the assistance of customer support - it is user friendly, efficient use of my time.

CONS

The department that has the worst customer service is accounting for sure. They do not return voicemails and only respond to emails. However, some issues/questions are better resolved by a quick phone call vs. multiple emails back and forth.

Reasons for switching to Valant EHR Suite

Had everything (documentation, scheduling and billing) all in one system.

Matthew

Reviewed April 2018

Buyer beware.

Valant unilaterally extended us for 12 months, when we were a few months away from closing out our account with them (with Valant's tech team assisting our switch, and business side aware) - and they sent the "renewal notification" to a random person who was not ever a part of our practice. We are contesting their charges with the bank, filing a complaint with the better business bureau, and will proceed to court if necessary. It has been an unfortunate and unprofessional experience dealing with Valant, not to mention we were also dissatisfied with the product. Buyer beware.

PROS

We found the product lacking overall. The functionality of the documentation side is too limited, including features related to MACRA/Meaningful Use.

CONS

We found the EMR to be lacking compared to more robust alternatives, and therefore decided to change to another product. Then we also had very serious issues thereafter, with Valant unilaterally extending us for 12 months, as we were about to close out our transition to the other EMR vendor. (Valant's tech team was assisting us with the switch, and business/customer-service side was aware). This was an unprofessional, despicable money grab. Why would we extend with Valant for 12 months, when we were a few months away from closing our account?

Kenneth