All Alma SIS Reviews

Alma SIS Review: Great for elementary schools

Said

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Reviewed July 2021

Alma the soul of your education

For a long school year such as a semester or a full year it has been phenomenal as a portfolio for classes with my students

PROS

As a teacher I can say that Alma is one of the best virtual classrooms that I have tried, it is an all-in-one and something that I love is the management of evaluations and students without having to resort to any other external platform. The function that I use the most is evaluative management since right there I can check my lists for the student report card system as well as the grade assigned to the same task and document

CONS

It is difficult to say that Alma has something bad, rather something not so good and that is first-hand integration, but once learned it is phenomenal

Because I needed more control

Nick

Education Management, 201-500 employees

A solid Student SIS

They are a fantastic company with a bright future ahead of them. I'm happy to support them, enjoy using their product, and appreciate their customer service.

PROS

The main selling point from Alma was the ease of use. Out of all of the systems I've demoed and tried, it was easily the easiest to log in, poke around, and figure out how to do what I needed to do with minimal training. The second selling point is their customer service. Absolutely top notch. Their people are friendly, very responsive, and (most importantly) humans. I enjoy talking to them! I can usually get a response from a rep within minutes and even our teachers are welcome to message them with questions. The third selling point is that they are new system with a considerably active development cycle. We knew, going into it, that they wouldn't be as fully fleshed out as competitors like PowerSchool. That also means that it's easier for newer and fresher ideas to be implemented. It's not built on some old archaic database. Many of the features they do have that I use regularly such as the Report Card Builder and the Spreadsheet Data Editor/Report builder are very well done. We regularly get emails about new features being added and they listen to their customers when new features are requested. They've given us a lot of new toys since we first signed on with them. The final selling point is narwhals.

CONS

Probably the biggest issue that I face regularly is that their district level stuff isn't as fleshed out as I would like it to be. Many of the cool features that are available at each of the schools I manage can't be done in the district portion, aggregating all data and whatnot. I've been told they are working on that stuff though!

Reason for choosing Alma SIS

PowerSchool had just released a new HTML5 interface. When asking for a sandbox demo, they couldn't even be bothered to show off their shiny new product. They gave us an old dinosaur of a sandbox that was not appealing at all. Alma whipped us up a sandbox no problem. Some of the fake names of students, teachers, and were hilarious references as well! Also, during the review process, we were using a Powerschool product known as Haiku. One day it went down. The page just wasn't loading. We emailed Powerschool for information and, just as a test, emailed Alma as well. Alma got back to us within 15 minutes. Powerschool got back to us about 2-3 days later. There were a number of other little things like that that swayed our decision.

TylerSIS was horrible.

Katy

Reviewed February 2018

The absolute worst year I've had as a professional school counselor.

none.

PROS

You can log in quickly. The people who have come in to assist with how horrific this year has been have been mostly humble and at least tried to help.

CONS

Absolutely impossible to have what we need at our hands as high school counselors. Everything is laborious or actually impossible to do. It has taken MONTHS to get even tiny bits of advances to make this usable. Transcripts, which are an essential piece for our kids, took 6 months to have functioning, and they're still inaccurate. Scheduling is months behind because the programming is inept for a school this size. It lacks confidentiality and privacy that's important for our students. Household units are not available, access to other buildings makes it impossible to know who has siblings and other people living in their home, which poses a safety issue when filing reports to CPS, report cards are still completely wrong and inaccurate. I could truly go on for an awfully long time, but I digress. At the end of the day, I think I can vouch for every person in my building when I say that this program was rolled out in a deplorable way, changes and improvements are slow and sometimes non-existent, and it's made me reconsider even working in this corporation due to how terrible this system is. A program in its infancy has been detrimental to every single stakeholder in this corporation, and I've been disappointed since the first day of training in August.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to help us improve the Alma experience. Change can be difficult, and while most Alma users have had positive experiences, we are continuously improving because our mission of serving educators like you is our life work. Along those lines, we have the industry's leading response time to customer inquiries by a factor of 10. We love working with your corporation because of the positive impact it is having on its students -- and we know its an organization you can be proud to be a part of. Other similarly-sized districts in the Alma family currently enjoy the flexibility, security and power our platform provides - and we'd love to explore how we can bring you to that same opinion. Your account manager will reach out to set up a time to go over (and fix) any issues needing attention.

Replied February 2018

Monica

Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Best SIS I have used

PROS

Alma is so easy to build out and use. They get more and more features every year.....For example, we can now import new student information, and easily run all of our NYS reports. It's really amazing how comprehensive yet seemingly simple Alma is at each user level. I think that because it's on the newer end of student information systems, the interface is just simpler...they don't need to account for decades' worth of data that was entered in a certain way years and years ago.

CONS

The recently changed their customer support to a tiered system, making it more difficult to get answers quickly. That said, the system is simple enough that questions don't come up all that often. Also, they are building out their SFTP capacity, but I wish it could communicate directly with our lottery/enrollment system.

Thank you for recognizing Alma as the best SIS you've used! We're delighted to hear about its ease of use and evolving features, like the ability to import student data and generate NYS reports. Your appreciation for Alma's comprehensive, yet simple interface is highly valued. Regarding customer support, we aim to balance high-quality assistance with efficiency. Your feedback is crucial, and we are dedicated to continuously refining Alma to serve your needs even better.

Replied November 2023

Ivana

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Ivana B's Review

PROS

The software enables us to have all the data related to students, teachers, curriculum and assessment in one place. There are many things that are just "one click" tasks and things don't have to be re-done at the beginning of each school year. They can just be copied, transferred, modified... I also like that there is always a solution to everything, even if an option does not exist in the system, the support team helps find ways to make sure we get what we need.

CONS

There are some things that we would like to have. For example: the option to show attendance on the report card per class (as opposed to per day), or the option to include a digital signature on the cover. These are some tiny things that we have found ways to resolve, but we have communicated them with the support team and we feel confident that they take our feedback into consideration.

Reasons for switching to Alma SIS

I'd just like to emphasize (as it doesn't let me choose more products above), we had two products that we used: one for grading (Classroom Monitor) and another one for attendance and other data (Admin +). We made the switch so we can have one system for everything. I am not sure why Alma was the choice but I do know it was recommended by one of our administrators because of their experience with it in a previous school.

Jonathan

Review for Teachers

I have had a good overall experience with Alma. They have focused on having good customer service and it has worked out well from my perspective as a teacher.

PROS

This is a pretty good product, not perfect, but good. The most useful part here is the link to google classroom for grading. This helps me be able to give feedback in one place and have it connected to my students and their parents. The parts that would be nicer for our specific use would be if Alma would be able to be linked to Atlas, Inc. this is what our school uses for different organizational goals.

CONS

There have been a few glitches in the system that our administration has run into. First dealing with the report cards for 6th grade did not work out with the Semester 1 Reports. So we had to give the parents the Nine weeks report cards for our school. The one part that is disappointing is the link does not work with standards based grading. This problem does not stem from Alama, but is from Google not doing standards based grades. Other than that it has worked much better than the Power School System we had in place before.

Reasons for switching to Alma SIS

Power School did not have an option for standards based grading system that worked well. Our administration had to go through LOTS of hoops to get the report cards looking good.

E.

Great Support!

We have always had great success with Alma. They are supportive, friendly, and responsive.

PROS

The customer service reps are always kind and supportive. They are quick to respond and ready to help out. They even change their software based on suggestions.

CONS

There is nothing that I find to be the least liked about this software. They are always willing to help and update.

Reason for choosing Alma SIS

Alma was more user-friendly and more cost-effective.

Reasons for switching to Alma SIS

Alma was more user-friendly and more cost-effective.

Justin

Reviewed May 2020

I Love Alma

My overall experience has been great. As I was the one pressured to find a SIS software program for our organization, I am glad that I decided to go with Alma. I didn't know what the outcome would be but I am happy in the decision that I made.

PROS

It is very user friendly. It has everything that our school needs. It is also syncs data with other programs we use within our school.

CONS

There is nothing I least like about the software. If there is a change I would like to see made, all I have to do is contact customer care and they will reach out to their engineers to see if its possible.

Reason for choosing Alma SIS

I was given a particular budget that I had to work with and out of all the other programs I had looked at within the same price range as Alma, Alma's interface is what stuck out to me the most. Having had to make an important decision like this alone, I would say that I got lucky.

Courtney

Alma Review

Overall this has been a great student management system from the teacher perspective. It was easy to learn, and just takes some time to get used to the new/different features after transitioning from a different system.

PROS

Alma is very user friendly; you can figure it out without much training at all. The gradebook has great color coding and customization options. Many features have streamlined options such as the "mark all present" for attendance.

CONS

Alma does not currently have the ability to link standards to gradebook assignments in a way that categorizes sub-scores on report cards. I also wish it had features such as a "fill-down" button for gradebook assignments. There's also my multiple "click-steps" to entering a a score in the gradebook, which is tedious at times.

Reasons for switching to Alma SIS

Illuminate was no longer offering student management services.

Marci

We are happy with Alma

We are very pleased with Alma and the implementation process.

PROS

Its ease of use is perfect, Easily adaptable to our school environment.

CONS

there are a few minor features that are missing

Reason for choosing Alma SIS

Its integration with Schoology.

Reasons for switching to Alma SIS

Rediker was too clunky, too expensive, and way more than we needed.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Powerful - 21st Century - Highly Recommended

When you have been with company for years is it hard to make a switch. From day one Alma made our transition to their software painless. Lets face it, people do not like change, especially a secretary that has been here for 30 years. Alma made it easy with their robust training and support our secretaries were smiling "like the butchers dog" The days of our principals spending all summer creating a master schedule are over. Alma's schedule builder is amazing! Overall I would highly recommend Alma and If they continue to stay on the cutting edge of innovation we will never need to make another switch.

PROS

There are so many GREAT features about Alma, to list just one is hard to do. I love the feed back that I receive from parents, teachers and administrators stating what they love about Alma. As an technology administrator you only hear when something is not working. Alma provides so many easy to use features everyone loves it. From the administration scheduling, it's seamless integration with Google Classroom, easy custom reports, on-line student registration and the awesome communication link with parents and students.

CONS

Well there really isn't anything I do not like about Alma, they continually update and add new designs and innovation to it's all inclusive student accounting system. Understandably some suggested features take longer to add then others.

Reason for choosing Alma SIS

Alma didn't nickel and dime you with additional needed features and conversion expenses. They had a sense that they were creating a possible lifetime partner. GREAT JOB!

Reasons for switching to Alma SIS

MMS was making and made major changes to their software form switching servers and operating systems, to changing database software. The outages and lack of response and complaints form everyone made me start to my research. I spent months contacting vendors, getting quotes and participating in demos. I contacted other schools from our surrounding area and other states. Alma seemed to always stand above the rest.

Kris

Great value, excellent support

Our biggest benefit with Alma in the last two years was when they implemented their online enrollment process. At the time, we were considering moving from Alma to PowerSchool to gain this function as we were still doing paper application and enrollment. PowerSchool was quoting $20,000 to provide this, and that was a discounted price! Alma's online enrollment was brand new, but I spent a month going through their Study Guide to create our first process. The online support was a huge help! At the end of that 30 days, I was able to confidently recommend to our Head of School that we say "no" to PowerSchool and stick with Alma. This feature and many others have only improved since then. We appreciate that Alma charges us less and lets us create this and other processes for ourself.

PROS

The support for Alma is exceptional! As I am learning to use different features the Help guides & live support answer all my needs in a timely manner. I brag on the Alma support to other companies who are not as helpful. I also appreciate how Alma listens to my suggestions for improvements. In the almost two years I have used the product, I have seen many of the features I have asked for being implemented. I get a regular email (weekly or bi monthly) that updates me on new features and almost every time, there is something there that I have been wanting. You've got to love a company that listens to and responds to its customers.

CONS

Alma has added many features that I didn't even know I wanted - thank you! The only feature they do not yet have is a way to accept and charge for payments. We can track financial info on Alma, but cannot have it accept funds. That would be a huge thing for us because we could eliminate using a separate program for this feature - we actually use two: MySchool and TADS.

Cost mostly.

Reviewed February 2018

Shifting to Alma has positioned us well as we transition our district to competency based learning.

PROS

Alma has a modern interface that is intuitive for our users with all of the information they need right at their fingertips, or one screen away. The student/parent portal is informative and is enabling us to move toward a more paperless registration process. Our teachers love the communication tools built into their grade book that enable them to immediately reach out to a student and their parents without having to jump out of the work they are doing. The report card and grading systems are flexible enough to support both traditional and proficiency-based philosophies. Alma is also proactive in cultivating relationships with third party vendors to add additional functionality to the environment. Alma has also been proactive in monitoring our state reporting requirements and updating our state report templates which is no small task. And Alma's support team is nothing short of amazing. My teachers have the freedom to reach out and get the support they require and that is priceless.

CONS

There were a few features I would have like that did not come "out of the box" such as robust reporting tools, and built-in scheduling tools. That said, Alma has worked to integrate those into the system and future users will not have that problem. The one other piece that I believe is in process is updating the transcript system so that it employs the same interface as the report card generator.

501-1,000 employees

Reviewed July 2018

It took a little getting used to at first, but I really ended up liking it.

PROS

First of all, I liked how often improvements were made throughout the year. It seemed that ALMA was always looking for ways to continue to improve the software in order to make it more user friendly. As a PE teacher, my grading system is quite different from the classroom teacher. I have 19 different classes (K-6) with about 30 students in each class. Each class would attend PE 2x each week. At first, it was very arduous to submit all the grades, one student at a time, at the end of each term. One of the improvements that occurred during this past school year, was to be able to submit an entire class's grades at the same time! That one change lightened my work load tremendously! And made it so I looked forward to doing grades instead of dreading it!

CONS

As I became more familiar with the features of the software, I became more comfortable using it, but I regret that it took me into my 2nd year using it, to become the most comfortable. Even so, the thing I liked the least about using this software was when I needed to make changes to the lesson details and maneuvering around the different tabs was a but cumbersome to have. Too many steps to have to make the changes I needed to. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Excellent Customer Service and Attractive Design

Excellent communication with between admin, staff and school families. A plethora of helpful articles and a very responsive tech support make Alma very easy and satisfying to use.

PROS

Alma has a very clean aesthetic with intuitively easy to use. The customer service is top-notch. Even during the pandemic, the response time has been exceptional. The techs are supportive, humorous, collegial, yet professional. Really happy with this platform.

CONS

I am looking forward to their continued build-out of the transcript function of their platform. They register all suggestions with their engineers, and once they get enough "up votes" they add them to the next roll-out. Can't ask for a more egalitarian system of continuous improvement.

Reasons for switching to Alma SIS

Engrade was purchased by a larger company which didn't do a great job of supporting legacy customers. We used engrade as a free product, and while it filled a niche, it wasn't the global platform we were looking for, especially in terms of tech support and design aesthetic.

Jonathan

Reviewed May 2020

A solid program with good support that currently lacks a few features.

My overall experience with Alma has been very positive. I prefer this program to any other SIS that I have used.

PROS

Alma is very easy to use, even for those that are not particularly proficient with technology. It's functionality is improved from other SIS programs I have used in the past (Progressbook and Power School). As an administrator, I have far more control to make changes and adjustments that fit my staff and students. The customer support team is also very helpful and responsive.

CONS

There are some features that are missing. We have requested GPA-based grade calculation and some additions to transcripts that have not yet been implemented. However, several other features that we have requested have been implemented over the past two years.

Reasons for switching to Alma SIS

Alma has more features. It is easier to use, especially from an administrative perspective and includes a lot of features - such as emailing students and parents - that other programs do not.

Devendra Kumar

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed January 2023

"Experience the Power of Alma's Innovative Software Platform!"

We are using Alma to solve several business problems. Firstly, Alma enables us to manage our library/media collections and resources more efficiently and effectively. This includes providing our users with easy access to electronic resources and print materials, along with tracking and managing our collection. Additionally, Alma allows us to better serve our patrons by providing them with a more intuitive and user-friendly interface for searching, discovering, and accessing our library materials.The benefits we have realized with Alma include improved organization, ease of access and access to electronic resources, increased collaboration, and improved user experience. Alma has made it easier to manage our library materials, given our patrons greater access to resources, and allowed us to provide more personalized services. Additionally, Alma has allowed us to easily share resources between users and collaborate with other libraries in our area. Finally, Alma has enabled us to provide our patrons with a more intuitive, user-friendly interface for searching, discovering, and accessing our library materials.

PROS

The most impactful features of a product depend on a variety of factors such as the type of product and the industry it serves. Generally, features that provide the most value to customers, such as ease of use and integration with existing business processes, are most impactful. Additionally, features that provide a significant advantage over competitors, such as advanced analytics or automation, are also likely to be very impactful.

CONS

I feel that the product could be improved by adding a feature to allow users to easily customize the look and feel of their project dashboard. It would be helpful to have more options for customizing the layout and design of the dashboard. Additionally, it can be difficult to find specific tasks within a project or to quickly filter tasks. It would be great to have a feature to allow users to quickly filter tasks by keyword or tag. Integration with existing business processes could also be improved by providing more options for integrating with external services, such as Slack or Google Calendar.

Arnab