Homebase

Homebase Reviews

• icon"I love the the user friendly app that any of my employees are able to navigate no matter their age."
  • icon"Flexibility for multiple permission levels is a great feature. Best time clock/employee database program for the money."
  • icon"There were good features like including hiring posting online for free. That one saved me a ton of time and money."
  • icon"This software is notorious for keeping employees accountable. Since this app detail-oriented, it will inform you of any/all employee activity."
  • icon"My biggest complaint is just that there seems be a lag between the time you check a notification and the time it takes to refresh."
  • icon"I myself never had that problem but I get complaints from some of my employees."

Browse all Homebase Reviews

• Have you used Homebase and would like to share your experience with others?

Kevin

Great system for employee time tracking.

Great experience! US-based representative whom were very kind, understanding and WILLING AND READY to resolve any and all issues when I needed to call to resolve the only issue I’ve ever had.

Pros

Homebase is extremely easy to set up employee time clock which happens to be free if your business has a single location and with a single location you may set it up for unlimited employees. For a small business owner where every dollar and cent matters, it’s a no brainer. A business owner may assign or allow the employee to set up their clock in and out code. Also, it may be set to take a photo of the employee during the clock in and out sessions to help or eliminate other employees from clocking in and out for them. Homebase offers an iPad, iPhone and an android app. You may also use your device's browser. We downloaded the app, installed it on an iPad for our employees to clock in and out on. The administrator has 100% access via web browser login. There’s also a feature which allows employees to clock in and out in the field which would geo-tag the location of the clocking activities.

Cons

Not a lot a negative things to say. This software is best if you have multiple employees who may have a staggered schedule. Example: an employee opens, then you have a mid day shift, then a closer. You also have many employees that may be out in the field. geo-tag is not the best choice for a single entrepreneur who’s trying to track their time, set up easier ways to do so.

Cheryl

Game Changer

Finally getting up to speed with technology. We had so many issues with our previous time clock provider, I'm so glad we found Homebase!

Pros

Being able to use the software anywhere and have the ability to change the schedule, communicate with staff, find coverage and my staff to always be up to date with what's going on.

Cons

Sometimes staff tell me they don't get notifications of schedule change when I post it.

Reasons for switching to Homebase

Timetrax was horrible! Constantly had downloading issues and tech support was not helpful and down right rude. I spent several hours multiple different occastions trying to download info for payroll. Sometimes even loosing data. You cannot run a business like that!

Hannah

Easy to use except.....

Pros

Easy features and great for team communication

Cons

Not a ton of features and time tracking can be iffy

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Lots of features, but not well integrated

Works well if all employees are diligent users with consistent schedules week to week, but it is very difficult and time consuming to fix items when timesheets get off or there are a lot of shift trades or covers to approve.

Pros

There are a lot of features that come either with the free edition or the basic package, it was by far the least expensive option for what we were looking for. Time tracking, scheduling, and different pay rates for different roles.

Cons

The different features are not very well integrated with each other. When someone requests a trade or cover for a shift, they can attach a message to the request, but it doesn't go through the messenger feature. Someone has to open the request to see the message. Geofence is great for making sure someone is at work when they clock-in, but if they forget to clock-out before they leave they are kept from doing so because they are outside the geo-fence. So I (the admin) have to fix their timesheet the next day. There are also issues with the automatic clock-out feature if someone has two different shifts in the same day.

Price

Petar

July 2022

Still on free trial, but LOVE the software!

Pros

I have been looking for software that combines payroll and schedule seamlessly. I love seeing the payroll cost per hour on my schedule!

Cons

I haven't found a feature I do not like yet. If I have to be super picky, having a visual of individual teams on the schedule would be great!

Reasons for choosing Homebase

much easier setup and superior functionality.

Manuel

Good product with too much fluff and mediocre UX

Overall, we are still with homebase because everyone is now used to it and our system is setup this way. Writing this review though, it is certainly about time i checked the timeclock-scheduling-team market again. Because the product is quite slow and features are being added which i don't need.

Pros

We decided to go for Homebase because it mostly resembled what i was doing in as spreadsheet before. The timeclock is rather solid, we have set up a dedicated tablet to clock in and out. This is the main reason i got homebase for my team - so that they would have a schedule and be able to clock in and out. Also nice is the fact that custom national holidays can be setup and automatically be shown in the schedule. The Homebase team has over the years implemented a few nifty features to save me time as an admin. Next is checking timesheets and correcting them when it comes to payroll - however this is where we stop with using homebase. We don't use any other features.

Cons

We don't utilize the payroll feature at all - everything can only be set in dollars. Overall, the software feels like it is made for the US market - not internationally. I have feature requested over a year ago that custom currencies should be implemented and even the way time is displayed (24h instead of am-pm). To no avail. Even from their content marketing strategy it is clear that Homebase is only focusing on the US market, with no interesting content for me as a hotelier on the other side of the world. It is also sad to see that they have recently started adding a lot of fluff to their product like hiring, instead of making the core experience easier and faster to use. The new timesheets section looks nice, but i am 5 times faster with the old one (which could be faster still). I would love to see much more emphasis on a fast and easy to use product, with lots of features to get my work done quicker. Homebase is a classic example of software which gets better the less i have to use it. I would like to see the product move in this direction.

Crystal

August 2022

Manage your schedule from the comfort of your phone.

Overall this helped the communication throughout the team and allowed me to easily track my schedule and pay. It was super convenient and easy to use. I was skeptical at first when they had me download the app but then I was obsessed. I think every small business should use this software, it will help your team out tremendously.

Pros

My team used Homebase as a scheduling and communication tool. If we needed a day off, there is a setting to where I can request a teammate to switch shifts with me or I can request cover. This made it super convenient if I needed a day off last minute. As for communicating with my team, this was the best! When sending out a group message, it allows you to message the people who are only scheduled for a specific day. So if you needed to let the team you're running late or that you need someone downstairs to bring up supplies, etc. I wouldn't need to take time to select the specific people I need to inform, it would automatically pull up those people from the schedule. This software not only lets you message the people you are scheduled with but it also allows you to see who is scheduled that day. I enjoyed this feature because it let me know when I was working with my bestie or my not so bestie. Another tool I loved on Homebase was the income tracker. This software was able to track when I worked and for how long and would provide an estimate on how much money I have made that pay period. It wasn't hard to find either. This helped my anxiety a lot because I knew if I had enough to pay my upcoming bills or if I needed to pick up an extra shift.

Cons

There is only one thing that I have to say is a con and I think it's more my managers fault. There is a feature in Homebase that allows you to potentially get a small amount of your paycheck early. Unfortunately every time I tried it never worked, but I am pretty sure it's because my manager was against that feature and enabled it. I think this feature is so awesome for employees especially during this inflation period and living in an expensive city.

Elaine

August 2022

Even the Free Version is Amazing!

Prior to Homebase, we used a monthly printed calendar and filled the schedule out by hand. Keeping track of who was available when was difficult even with only 4 of us on staff. We switched to the free version of Homebase and it has saved us SO much trouble! We make the schedule for one week, then copy and paste it to each individual week and make any smaller changes as needed. It also keeps track of how many hours each employee is scheduled for to help avoid overtime - you get alerted for every shift that would put them over.

Pros

The ability to copy and paste schedules from week to week and customize your week start date makes it so much easier to do an entire month’s schedule in advance. They are constantly offering free trial upgrades, and the features the upgrades include would be critical if we were a larger business.

Cons

The mobile version is not as easy to use in terms of creating and modifying schedules, and the inability to have more than one email address/account designated as an administrator on the free version is a little inconvenient. The calendar printout isn’t as customizable as I’d like - a month won’t fit on one page.

Reasons for choosing Homebase

Price and features were better

Melissa

Easy to use, affordable and convinient

Pros

I love how Home base is very easy to navigate. There are lots of features that help manage employees and keep up with reports. For house keeping industry I find it makes my life a lot easier.

Cons

No cons about Home base but if they would allow for more employee details in Team set up that would be awesome and beneficial.

Reasons for choosing Homebase

More affordable for small businesses and had a lot of cool tools

Whitney

September 2022

Great for Attendance Tracking!

Pros

We use this software to track student’s time doing online schooling. The ability to see who is currently online is great! Making changes to timesheets if a student forgets to clock in or out is very easy. The reporting features to see monthly hours are helpful.

Cons

It would be really nice to see a feature that sends admin a notification as people clock in and out!

Kaitlynn

The Features I Need for Free

Pros

I get to schedule employees and they get to see it on their phones, check schedules, ask for time off, trade shifts, and get reminded to come to work an hour before their shift starts! I can change timecards on the back end if I need to, see how many hours I have scheduled, and estimate what payroll will be. It's easy to clock in and out in the app and Homebase keeps up with the times for pertinent questions to ask when they clock in.

Cons

Trying to shedule a shift from the app will make the schedule go off. You put in one time and then it changes it 2 hours for some reason, not a big deal, it usually schedule from my laptop anyway.

Reasons for choosing Homebase

It had the features that I needed; multiple shifts per day and changing timecards for free!

Sean

September 2022

Homebase, a great solution for time keeping!

Pros

Homebase makes clocking in and out easy for our employees. The ability to clock in from their phones only within a geofenced area is both efficient and fair for all involved.

Cons

Occasional glitches and reliance on a strong internet connection.

Valerie

Industry: Restaurants

Great addition to my management tools

Homebase is invaluable to me. It's very convenient and user friendly.

Pros

Homebase is a must-have for me. I do the schedule, communicate with team members and prospective hires and it integrates with square for spot number analysis.

Cons

Team members have given me feedback that it's has been occasionally glitchy to sign in and rarely to clock in. Thankfully there is the web time clock option as an alternative when that happens. I am not sure if this has been resolved, b/c no one has complained of this in the last month at the time of this writing.

Reasons for choosing Homebase

Homebase had all of the features I needed in one software and it's easy to implement. Also they are consistently adding new features.

Taryn

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

homebase time tracking genius

my overall experience has been amazing so far

Pros

what I like the most about homebase is the functionalities like online time tracking and much more

Cons

what i like the least about homebase is that most of features works online

Cheena

Good for manager

Overall, it is a good mangement tool and have great reporting capabilities.

Pros

I like that schedules are showing in tables that is very organized.

Cons

I hope there is a way to put in the hours I need covered by a certain department and it will show if I have holes in the schedule. There is also no way put in bonuses, it is showing I can put tips but I would like to be able to put specific bonus type.

Reasons for switching to Homebase

Previous time tracker will increase billing for employees > 10.

Danielle

Industry: Restaurants

It's is a good app, but is constantly lagging, no matter what device and internet connection used.

See Above. I would like to say every time I have spoken with an employee from HB, they have been incredibly professional, polite, and knowledgeable. Homebase was also helpful during the early phases of Covid last year, with costs. I do wish there was an easier way than what I was told, to update myself to the admin of the account. Our current admin is an IT guy we used a few years ago, who does not have access to the email he used for HB anymore. I was told you'll need my [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] to contact, and provide bills addressed to Firefly with his name listed as well, showing he is the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. However, we are DBA, so nothing, not even our paystubs, state Firefly. Our DBA, is "Wes Pac Inc", which is what mail, licenses, and invoices state. If there is an alternate way to handle this, please contact me. Thank you all so much for everything you do.

Pros

Asking for time off is simple for my employees, the message option is convenient.

Cons

Homebase since the beginning is constantly lagging. Whether it be to load pages, send or receive messages, especially sending images. Whether I am using the url on a desktop, or the app on my iPad or iPhone, it is extremely slow. I get message notifications long before the messages actually show up. It is like this for all my employee's that use the app. The iPad version is difficult to use, it is as big as the size of a small phone screen, I don't understand why the app can't take up the entire screen of the iPad, like every other app I use on my iPad. I don't know if this is an option, but for my restaurant in particular, as I'm sure is the case with many establishments that use your app, we have several different departments. I'd for one like to be able to only see my FOH employee's on the schedule, and have a separate for BOH. It would also be convenient to not just limit the amount of employee's that can request off for a specific day, but to be able to limit by department. For example, to be able to say, 3 servers, 2 bussers, and 1 hostess is the limit for any particular day, rather than only being able to say 3 employee's in general is the max. I hope I explained that in a way it makes sense. Additionally, working in a restaurant that is open nights and weekends, your support hours are not reasonable at all. There has been numerous times we've needed support and you have been closed, so we are just hopeless.

Reasons for choosing Homebase

It synchs with our Point of Sale System and pricing.

Best virtual timeclock for your money

Overall, my experience has been great with Homebase. Coming from manual punch clock, I've cut down my payroll process by at least 80%. It is easy to use (original software version is easy, new version is a little too messy so I haven't switched to the new view.) I still enter hours manually into QBO, because Homebase doesn't split regular and overtime hours. Not a big deal. *A couple wishes* 1. I wish there to be a button when employees punch out that says "Did you take a lunch break?" (Yes or No) Reason for this feature - I don't make our employees go to the iPad at lunch to "Take a break" when it's lunch time. I would have a line up of workers waiting to punch in and out because our entire company shuts down all at once for lunch. That way, when some employees DO work through their lunch break, they can just say "No" to the question "Did you take a lunch break" when they clock out at the end of the day. Currently, everyday I log into Homebase and manually add each employee's lunch break, except if they leave me a note saying "No Lunch". 2. It would be great if time card notes for a whole current pay period could be amalgamated into one document as I am processing payroll. I currently have to dig through each time card to find notes of employees asking for vacay pay, sick days, mileage etc. If I just had a list of all the notes and names for that weeks pay, I can check off each note as I add their request into QBO. Overall, I am still very happy with Homebase.

Pros

What I like most about Homebase is that it doesn't break the bank to put in a virtual timeclock system. It integrates with Quickbooks online and it is easy to use.

Cons

1. It does allow for a little customization, but not advanced enough for the way I run payroll. 2. It does not send separate regular hours and overtime hours to QBO.

Reasons for choosing Homebase

100% for the price difference. Timesheets is so overpriced. Thank you for providing your software for such a reasonable amount of money. It makes a huge difference during this pandemic.

Jeff

Industry: Medical Devices

Easy to use, set-up, maintain, interface and adjust.

Exceptional. Set it and forget it.

Pros

The interface/importing with QuickBooks Online. Easy to add time and track PTO, holidays, OT and more. Customization for our business hours was perfect. The cost is lowest I have found for the amount of features. T-Sheets in QBO is too pricey for us. Also the remote clock-in features and mobile app is a big hit with employees.

Cons

Importation of hours into QBO Payroll needs to be adjusted and checked, but having HomeBase open after importing employee time cards makes it simple. Just match 1 to 1 and your good. Also the initial holiday set-up can be a bit tricky but HB customer service is excellent and guided us through it.

Price and Features. Paid Time Off (PTO) feature. Mobile App for remote use

Reasons for switching to Homebase

Epicor was cumbersome and tricky for HR. That was a longtime ago.

Danielle

We Love Homebase

Overall. we love Homebase. It has made so many of our processes easier and streamlined. With a few tweaks, it could be even more amazing. The great thing is the company is open to feedback and often test and release new product features.

Pros

My team was using spreadsheets to schedule and to complete payroll before Homebase. What a manual nightmare. There were always so many mistakes and issues. Once we moved to Homebase, it instantly made things better. My contractors were able to see their schedules instantly and at any time they needed it. The reminders an hour before their schedule help them to be on time for their shift. So we have fewer tardies. They can also check their payroll amount at any time during the month instead of having to wait until the end of the month when I am able to calculate it. They have also made schedule swaps easy. It has helped my person who does the scheduling tremendously. It has helped her to be able to get our schedule done in a much faster and efficient way. It has helped me complete payroll in a fast, easy effective way.

Cons

There are sometimes glitches, especially with the app. They are overall minor but can be a pain. For example, sometimes when there is a swap made on the app, it will show a notification, but when you go into the app it doesn't show the swap. Good thing we keep up with them in a chat or we would have no idea who was trying to swap. Also, it is mostly geared towards companies with employees, this could be great if there could be modifications for people who have contractors and do not have to abide by the same restrictions, such as 8-hour shifts, working days consecutively, etc.

Reasons for choosing Homebase

I like that it had a very clean interface. I loved that it has an app that matches the functionality of the website. It had an easy setup and the free trial allowed me to understand how it worked with low risk.

Peter

Industry: Food Production

Excellent for Restaurants, Hourly Employees

I've used this as an employee, then as a business owner for about the last 7 years. It's really a no brainer if you need a time tracking tool, and it has been upgraded consistently over the years to add more features. The hiring tool is surprisingly solid as well, and helps to market positions quite well.

Pros

I've used this for so long now it is hard to imagine what I'd do without it. We began using it as a simple time clock, and it has slowly become our go to for hiring, time tracking, time off, and employee messaging. If you have a mostly hourly workforce it is super simple to setup, and as your business grows it has helpful and intuitive tools to make your life easier. Their support in my experience can be a bit disorganized, but they always get the job done and are easy to work with.

Cons

Not as helpful for salaried employees as it is for hourly employees in my experience. The lower tiers lack some of the onboarding functionality and digital form filing I'd like it to have, but I think this may have been added recently.

Reasons for choosing Homebase

Homebase wins handily over BambooHR when it comes to hourly employees, and the value and ease of use it brings to busy workplaces.

Heather

Great option for the price-point

Overall Homebase has been a great scheduling software for our business, ticking almost every box we were looking for. We especially needed a way for employees to log in and out of different departments (which they do as needed and not according to a clock) during a shift that IS scheduled. We've been able to make Homebase work for that specific need. We appreciated the flexibility of allowing employees to clock in/out on a central laptop or tablet, or letting them use their phones through the app with a geo-boundary over our office, and then when the pandemic hit, we removed the geo-boundary to allow them to clock in and out from their homes.

Pros

Pros: *Free option *Customizable - we're able to use it for employees to log in and out of the different unscheduled departments/roles they do within a scheduled shift. Makes it easy to track manhours and payroll by department when the people working in each department changes throughout each day. *The app *Easy to use *Great additional features like job posting and document storage/sharing, PTO tracking

Cons

Cons: *Getting the PTO tracking to work for us has been a long wait. *Employees experience a lot of glitches of punches not going through. *Takes forever to enter a schedule in the separate "available" and "actual" schedules. I would like to take a posted availability schedule and just make it be their working schedule with one click. Scheduling takes a bit of time, but isn't hard.

Reasons for choosing Homebase

They had a free option, and the priced options (which we eventually moved to) were not too expensive. Homebase also provided the flexibility we needed for the way we have scheduled shifts of unscheduled roles/departments.

Reasons for switching to Homebase

Timetrex discontinued the free option and became prohibitively expensive.

Matt

Homebase

When we first launched we had a programming issue where the time clock would crash once a day. The team at Homebase was quick to address the issue and put us in contact with the development team who got us on a beta version of the next release. This fixed our issue and the team at Homebase was responsive and open to feedback as we previewed the upcoming release. I have had representatives from Homebase reach out to my multiple times for feedback on their products. It is refreshing to see a company openly solicit feedback from their user base in an effort to improve their product. Every interaction I have had with their staff has been positive.

Pros

Homebase has been the perfect time clock system for our business. It was easy to configure and with the entire system web based I can monitor our staffing when I am off site. We use a wall mounted iPad to clock in and out which was less expensive than many physical time clocks. My staff has enjoyed having access to their Homebase dashboard where they can easily review their punches/total hours. One of the best features is the ability to specifically define your pay periods. Many systems only offer weekly, biweekly, or monthly with no customization of dates. Homebase allows complete customization for when you would like you pay periods to start and end. I have also used their hiring tool. It is by far and away the easiest tool I have used to publicly post to multiple job sites at once. It is very straight forward and has been a great resource in helping us in our hiring.

Cons

I don't have any cons. It is a quality product and the team at Homebase has been quick to respond to any issues we have had.

Time Clock Wizard and Virtual TimeClock

Reasons for choosing Homebase

The cost (as low as $0), the ability to define pay periods, cloud based, ease of use

Reasons for switching to Homebase

Looking for a cloud based time clock to replace our failing legacy time clock

Joshua

Much more than the Software we needed

We needed a better way of tracking time and calculating salary. Manual entry and spreadsheets were all we hoped to replace, but Homebase has made us realize how much time we used to spend in scheduling and payroll. Now we can do scheduling while on the road, on a trip or make last-minute changes on the fly. Basically, more beach time and less office work. I have shared the benefits of Homebase with many of our affiliate companies.

Pros

First off......It is free for basic features. I love that it has an app for phone and tablet use. It is very intuitive and easy to learn. Staff can track their time and their salary. I could make a huge list here, but basically it is the software we needed, but now we can't live without it.

Cons

Some of the features are a little on the expensive side when purchasing plans, but mostly because of our exchange rate.

BambooHR, Deputy and 7shifts

Reasons for choosing Homebase

We felt that Homebase was much more inclusive overall allowing us to complete almost anything payroll related within one app.

Reasons for switching to Homebase

Too much wasted time on scheduling and time tracking. We didn't know we could find a single software that had the complete solution.

Jessica

Industry: Medical Devices

Awesome software!

Okay, so I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS APP AND LOVE THIS PRODUCT. Home base is easy to use, easy to read, easy to understand. The platform is SERIOUSLY DUMMY PROOF! My 9 year old daughter helped me set it up. It is seriously that easy! My 4 year old will open my app and can tell if I forgot to clock out when I left work, and he even knows how to clock me out at the right time! It really is just that simple. I love the restrictions it offers. I can determine whether employees can clock in and out from their app, I can determine whether they can see labor reports, view other employees schedule, and I love the fact that they can request off right from the app, and I can approve or deny right from the app. I love that they can switch schedules and I can approve it instantly from home. This app just has so many great features. I will never use another payroll system again.

Pros

I love that the employees can request time off or switch/trade shifts from their phone and I can instantly deny or approve the request. I love the ease of pulling the time sheets, and reading the time sheets. I love the access to be able to edit employees time on a daily or weekly basis. Employees can be horrible for clocking in early unauthorized, not clocking out to walk down the street to the store, etc. This app makes it simple to edit this carelessness from employees without even having to sit them down and talk to them about clocking in and out. Its kind of like, Okay, you want to take 20 mins to walk down to dollar general and you have already taken your lunch previous, oh and you didn't clock out. Well let me fix that mistake for you. The system tracks tardies, which is awesome, bc after 90 days, anyone who has been tardy more than 20% of their shifts, only gets offered a part time position within the company. This system gives us accurate data to show the employees at their 90 day evaluation, and the data can't be disputed bc it is tracked based on their clock in and clock out times.

Cons

I don't like the fact that there is not room for multiple clock outs under the edit mode. If we do not clock out for an extra break, there is no where to add it. I always have to add the time employees are gone to their lunch break. It give a false interpretation and false data when we pull data from this system for evaluations. I really wish you would update this to add columns for extra breaks, and reasons for the breaks. Also, I wish you would add a column to give explanation for employees that clock in late, miss a scheduled day, or clock out early. This system does not even track early clock outs, just late clock ins. We often find that employees will leave early to take care of things, and sometimes it can become repetitous. I would like to be able to track the data.

Allison

Fairly good for scheduling, could use some work

We are utilizing the HR function. It is nice to be able to send in questions and get responses from HR professionals. The help desk is responsive and usually helpful

Pros

Being able to create a base schedule of open shifts as a template is nice. You apply the template to the week, and then you can drag and drop the shifts onto employees. You must use a computer for this to work. The auto-scheduling feature can give you a good starting point but has flaws that make it impossible to publish a schedule using only auto-scheduling.

Cons

I would like more categories than owner, manager, employee. With more options of who can see what information. Auto schedule feature needs improvement to not schedule people on doubles and multiple locations at the same time. They've made a number of improvements over the years, but I sometimes think they are trying to add too many new features when they need to perfect the features already available first.

Reasons for switching to Homebase

As a growing business, it became impossible to continue using Excel for scheduling. We only briefly tried When I Work.