• Pros

• "I love the the user friendly app that any of my employees are able to navigate no matter their age."

• "Flexibility for multiple permission levels is a great feature. Best time clock/employee database program for the money."

• "There were good features like including hiring posting online for free. That one saved me a ton of time and money."

• Cons

• "This software is notorious for keeping employees accountable. Since this app detail-oriented, it will inform you of any/all employee activity."

• "My biggest complaint is just that there seems be a lag between the time you check a notification and the time it takes to refresh."

• "I myself never had that problem but I get complaints from some of my employees."

Browse Homebase Reviews

Maxwell from United Food Trade Association

Scheduling & Labor Costing

Years of working with Homebase have shown that they constantly improve their product, and make it easier to use with integrations with common applications (via API access).

Pros

Quite honestly, one of the first things I recommend to businesses that want to schedule employees and know their labor costs that are up to the minute.

Cons

The one feature that I do wish was available, would be a calendar view that showed the entire department or business, so that it could be displayed on a monitor or web-based application.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Homebase seemed to offer a solid free version, that makes it easier to implement with a client before showing them the added advantages of a premium plan.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

The integration with Square POS and ease of use made it a reasonable switch. After years of use, I don't know if I would go back.

Danielle from Firefly Restaurant

Industry: Restaurants

It's is a good app, but is constantly lagging, no matter what device and internet connection used.

See Above. I would like to say every time I have spoken with an employee from HB, they have been incredibly professional, polite, and knowledgeable. Homebase was also helpful during the early phases of Covid last year, with costs. I do wish there was an easier way than what I was told, to update myself to the admin of the account. Our current admin is an IT guy we used a few years ago, who does not have access to the email he used for HB anymore. I was told you'll need my [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] to contact, and provide bills addressed to Firefly with his name listed as well, showing he is the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. However, we are DBA, so nothing, not even our paystubs, state Firefly. Our DBA, is "Wes Pac Inc", which is what mail, licenses, and invoices state. If there is an alternate way to handle this, please contact me. Thank you all so much for everything you do.

Pros

Asking for time off is simple for my employees, the message option is convenient.

Cons

Homebase since the beginning is constantly lagging. Whether it be to load pages, send or receive messages, especially sending images. Whether I am using the url on a desktop, or the app on my iPad or iPhone, it is extremely slow. I get message notifications long before the messages actually show up. It is like this for all my employee's that use the app. The iPad version is difficult to use, it is as big as the size of a small phone screen, I don't understand why the app can't take up the entire screen of the iPad, like every other app I use on my iPad. I don't know if this is an option, but for my restaurant in particular, as I'm sure is the case with many establishments that use your app, we have several different departments. I'd for one like to be able to only see my FOH employee's on the schedule, and have a separate for BOH. It would also be convenient to not just limit the amount of employee's that can request off for a specific day, but to be able to limit by department. For example, to be able to say, 3 servers, 2 bussers, and 1 hostess is the limit for any particular day, rather than only being able to say 3 employee's in general is the max. I hope I explained that in a way it makes sense. Additionally, working in a restaurant that is open nights and weekends, your support hours are not reasonable at all. There has been numerous times we've needed support and you have been closed, so we are just hopeless.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

It synchs with our Point of Sale System and pricing.

Peter from Seven Rivers Paddling

Simply the best

Great, saves time and keeps people up today with the ever changing schedule of a seasonal recreational business.

Pros

How easy it is to have staff clock in and out. I also love how easy it is to fix hours when staff forget to clock in or out.

Cons

When setting up schedules you can not just copy one employee from week to week.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Sling was not as user friendly and could not handle a larger amount of employees

David from El Centro Inc

I've never seen so many bugs....

Bad,bad,bad. Customer service is responsive but there are just soooo many bugs with this software.

Pros

Very easy to use. The user interface is very simple and easy to navigate.

Cons

I feel like this is a beta software that should not have been rolled out yet. We have been using it for a week and have had issues every day since we started using it. Basic things that you think should just work doesn't work. Example: All my employees have a 1 hour, unpaid lunch everyday. They clock in and clock out on this required one hour lunch but Homebase is still counting it in their total hours. So know I ma getting alerts that they all have overtime but they actually don't because Homebase is not calculating hours correctly. So there have been several little things (Bugs) that I have found every day since using Homebase. I contact customer support and they tell me that they will pass it on to their product team. This may sound harsh but the product team really should have tested this software more before rolling it out. Makes me question all the reviews I am seeing on here. All the bugs have been on basic functions.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Price. Features. Bamboo does not have scheduling feature.

Response from Homebase

Replied April 2020

Hi David - We are so sorry to hear you've been having issues your Homebase account. This is not the experience we want our customers to have. Our head of technical support has just emailed you to see if we can remedy these issues for you. If you have any further issues, please reach out to me directly at reviews@joinhomebase.com. Looking forward to getting these issues resolved for you, and so sorry again for all the challenges here. - Ryan

Michael from Spectrum Creative Interiors

Best virtual timeclock for your money

Overall, my experience has been great with Homebase. Coming from manual punch clock, I've cut down my payroll process by at least 80%. It is easy to use (original software version is easy, new version is a little too messy so I haven't switched to the new view.) I still enter hours manually into QBO, because Homebase doesn't split regular and overtime hours. Not a big deal. *A couple wishes* 1. I wish there to be a button when employees punch out that says "Did you take a lunch break?" (Yes or No) Reason for this feature - I don't make our employees go to the iPad at lunch to "Take a break" when it's lunch time. I would have a line up of workers waiting to punch in and out because our entire company shuts down all at once for lunch. That way, when some employees DO work through their lunch break, they can just say "No" to the question "Did you take a lunch break" when they clock out at the end of the day. Currently, everyday I log into Homebase and manually add each employee's lunch break, except if they leave me a note saying "No Lunch". 2. It would be great if time card notes for a whole current pay period could be amalgamated into one document as I am processing payroll. I currently have to dig through each time card to find notes of employees asking for vacay pay, sick days, mileage etc. If I just had a list of all the notes and names for that weeks pay, I can check off each note as I add their request into QBO. Overall, I am still very happy with Homebase.

Pros

What I like most about Homebase is that it doesn't break the bank to put in a virtual timeclock system. It integrates with Quickbooks online and it is easy to use.

Cons

1. It does allow for a little customization, but not advanced enough for the way I run payroll. 2. It does not send separate regular hours and overtime hours to QBO.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

100% for the price difference. Timesheets is so overpriced. Thank you for providing your software for such a reasonable amount of money. It makes a huge difference during this pandemic.

Jeff from Oral Care Perfected

Industry: Medical Devices

Easy to use, set-up, maintain, interface and adjust.

Exceptional. Set it and forget it.

Pros

The interface/importing with QuickBooks Online. Easy to add time and track PTO, holidays, OT and more. Customization for our business hours was perfect. The cost is lowest I have found for the amount of features. T-Sheets in QBO is too pricey for us. Also the remote clock-in features and mobile app is a big hit with employees.

Cons

Importation of hours into QBO Payroll needs to be adjusted and checked, but having HomeBase open after importing employee time cards makes it simple. Just match 1 to 1 and your good. Also the initial holiday set-up can be a bit tricky but HB customer service is excellent and guided us through it.

Price and Features. Paid Time Off (PTO) feature. Mobile App for remote use

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Epicor was cumbersome and tricky for HR. That was a longtime ago.

Peter from Joe Chocolate Co.

Industry: Food Production

Excellent for Restaurants, Hourly Employees

I've used this as an employee, then as a business owner for about the last 7 years. It's really a no brainer if you need a time tracking tool, and it has been upgraded consistently over the years to add more features. The hiring tool is surprisingly solid as well, and helps to market positions quite well.

Pros

I've used this for so long now it is hard to imagine what I'd do without it. We began using it as a simple time clock, and it has slowly become our go to for hiring, time tracking, time off, and employee messaging. If you have a mostly hourly workforce it is super simple to setup, and as your business grows it has helpful and intuitive tools to make your life easier. Their support in my experience can be a bit disorganized, but they always get the job done and are easy to work with.

Cons

Not as helpful for salaried employees as it is for hourly employees in my experience. The lower tiers lack some of the onboarding functionality and digital form filing I'd like it to have, but I think this may have been added recently.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Homebase wins handily over BambooHR when it comes to hourly employees, and the value and ease of use it brings to busy workplaces.

Chris from Camp Bow Wow Eatontown

I love Homebase and recommend it to other business owners

I love it. I recommend it all the time to other Camp Bow Wow owners. Whether or not you know it, Homebase is utilized by many many Camp Bow Wow owners and all always speak highly of your product.

Pros

Everything. For starters, it's very user friendly. I also love the scheduling, time sheet integration, PTO, chat/messaging, integration w/ Clover is HUGE. Having the COVID checklist when clocking in is also a great addition.

Cons

Homebase has some small glitches or bugs here and there but we look past that. For instance, although it's been a month or two now that I've heard an employee speak about this, Homebase does not always give you a notification when you receive a chat message.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

If you've ever compared Homebase to WhenToWork, it's pretty obvious why we switched. WhenToWork leaves a lot to be desired in many areas. Overall, Homebase is better (in every way) and has more to offer.

Claire from Freelance Design

Helpful and Easy Communication

We switched from Slack because homebase puts scheduling/time-off requests/shift trades all in one place and allows employees to do some of that work on their own. Hooray!

Pros

I love the ease of communication Homebase allows with employees. No need to exchange personal numbers and all of the communication is one place. Also allows employees to clock in and out from their devices which is awesome when your the point of sale is also the clock and out spot. This way, we don't have to interupt the workflow to clock in and out. Also really like how Homebase shows your earnings per shift. No guess work at what your hourly paycheck will be!

Cons

My biggest complaint is just that there seems be a lag between the time you check a notification and the time it takes to refresh. So the app will show that I have a new notification when it's actually something I have already checked on. Not a huge deal, but makes me feel like I'm missing something when I'm really not. I could also live without a notification asking if I have clocked out of my shift any time I work past by specified hours. For Example, shift ends at 11:30 but I don't clock out until 11:45 - I get at least one if not 2 text asking if I forgot to clock out.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Homebase puts everything in one spot. Communication and scheduling!

Cris from COMBOCAP Health

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Homebase review from HR Director

great

Pros

Easy to use and mfg staff can see their schedules

Cons

none that I know of at this time after two plus years using.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

we went with the free software at first to see how it worked, we shortly upgraded after using for 6 months. we have been using for 2. plus years.

Manuel from Self-Employed

Good product with too much fluff and mediocre UX

Overall, we are still with homebase because everyone is now used to it and our system is setup this way. Writing this review though, it is certainly about time i checked the timeclock-scheduling-team market again. Because the product is quite slow and features are being added which i don't need.

Pros

We decided to go for Homebase because it mostly resembled what i was doing in as spreadsheet before. The timeclock is rather solid, we have set up a dedicated tablet to clock in and out. This is the main reason i got homebase for my team - so that they would have a schedule and be able to clock in and out. Also nice is the fact that custom national holidays can be setup and automatically be shown in the schedule. The Homebase team has over the years implemented a few nifty features to save me time as an admin. Next is checking timesheets and correcting them when it comes to payroll - however this is where we stop with using homebase. We don't use any other features.

Cons

We don't utilize the payroll feature at all - everything can only be set in dollars. Overall, the software feels like it is made for the US market - not internationally. I have feature requested over a year ago that custom currencies should be implemented and even the way time is displayed (24h instead of am-pm). To no avail. Even from their content marketing strategy it is clear that Homebase is only focusing on the US market, with no interesting content for me as a hotelier on the other side of the world. It is also sad to see that they have recently started adding a lot of fluff to their product like hiring, instead of making the core experience easier and faster to use. The new timesheets section looks nice, but i am 5 times faster with the old one (which could be faster still). I would love to see much more emphasis on a fast and easy to use product, with lots of features to get my work done quicker. Homebase is a classic example of software which gets better the less i have to use it. I would like to see the product move in this direction.

Danielle from VIPKid Intl

We Love Homebase

Overall. we love Homebase. It has made so many of our processes easier and streamlined. With a few tweaks, it could be even more amazing. The great thing is the company is open to feedback and often test and release new product features.

Pros

My team was using spreadsheets to schedule and to complete payroll before Homebase. What a manual nightmare. There were always so many mistakes and issues. Once we moved to Homebase, it instantly made things better. My contractors were able to see their schedules instantly and at any time they needed it. The reminders an hour before their schedule help them to be on time for their shift. So we have fewer tardies. They can also check their payroll amount at any time during the month instead of having to wait until the end of the month when I am able to calculate it. They have also made schedule swaps easy. It has helped my person who does the scheduling tremendously. It has helped her to be able to get our schedule done in a much faster and efficient way. It has helped me complete payroll in a fast, easy effective way.

Cons

There are sometimes glitches, especially with the app. They are overall minor but can be a pain. For example, sometimes when there is a swap made on the app, it will show a notification, but when you go into the app it doesn't show the swap. Good thing we keep up with them in a chat or we would have no idea who was trying to swap. Also, it is mostly geared towards companies with employees, this could be great if there could be modifications for people who have contractors and do not have to abide by the same restrictions, such as 8-hour shifts, working days consecutively, etc.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

I like that it had a very clean interface. I loved that it has an app that matches the functionality of the website. It had an easy setup and the free trial allowed me to understand how it worked with low risk.

Heather from Underwater Audio

Great option for the price-point

Overall Homebase has been a great scheduling software for our business, ticking almost every box we were looking for. We especially needed a way for employees to log in and out of different departments (which they do as needed and not according to a clock) during a shift that IS scheduled. We've been able to make Homebase work for that specific need. We appreciated the flexibility of allowing employees to clock in/out on a central laptop or tablet, or letting them use their phones through the app with a geo-boundary over our office, and then when the pandemic hit, we removed the geo-boundary to allow them to clock in and out from their homes.

Pros

Pros: *Free option *Customizable - we're able to use it for employees to log in and out of the different unscheduled departments/roles they do within a scheduled shift. Makes it easy to track manhours and payroll by department when the people working in each department changes throughout each day. *The app *Easy to use *Great additional features like job posting and document storage/sharing, PTO tracking

Cons

Cons: *Getting the PTO tracking to work for us has been a long wait. *Employees experience a lot of glitches of punches not going through. *Takes forever to enter a schedule in the separate "available" and "actual" schedules. I would like to take a posted availability schedule and just make it be their working schedule with one click. Scheduling takes a bit of time, but isn't hard.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

They had a free option, and the priced options (which we eventually moved to) were not too expensive. Homebase also provided the flexibility we needed for the way we have scheduled shifts of unscheduled roles/departments.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Timetrex discontinued the free option and became prohibitively expensive.

Matt from Big Sky Diagnostic Imaging

Homebase

When we first launched we had a programming issue where the time clock would crash once a day. The team at Homebase was quick to address the issue and put us in contact with the development team who got us on a beta version of the next release. This fixed our issue and the team at Homebase was responsive and open to feedback as we previewed the upcoming release. I have had representatives from Homebase reach out to my multiple times for feedback on their products. It is refreshing to see a company openly solicit feedback from their user base in an effort to improve their product. Every interaction I have had with their staff has been positive.

Pros

Homebase has been the perfect time clock system for our business. It was easy to configure and with the entire system web based I can monitor our staffing when I am off site. We use a wall mounted iPad to clock in and out which was less expensive than many physical time clocks. My staff has enjoyed having access to their Homebase dashboard where they can easily review their punches/total hours. One of the best features is the ability to specifically define your pay periods. Many systems only offer weekly, biweekly, or monthly with no customization of dates. Homebase allows complete customization for when you would like you pay periods to start and end. I have also used their hiring tool. It is by far and away the easiest tool I have used to publicly post to multiple job sites at once. It is very straight forward and has been a great resource in helping us in our hiring.

Cons

I don't have any cons. It is a quality product and the team at Homebase has been quick to respond to any issues we have had.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

The cost (as low as $0), the ability to define pay periods, cloud based, ease of use

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Looking for a cloud based time clock to replace our failing legacy time clock

Joshua from Bambu Tea + Coffee

Much more than the Software we needed

We needed a better way of tracking time and calculating salary. Manual entry and spreadsheets were all we hoped to replace, but Homebase has made us realize how much time we used to spend in scheduling and payroll. Now we can do scheduling while on the road, on a trip or make last-minute changes on the fly. Basically, more beach time and less office work. I have shared the benefits of Homebase with many of our affiliate companies.

Pros

First off......It is free for basic features. I love that it has an app for phone and tablet use. It is very intuitive and easy to learn. Staff can track their time and their salary. I could make a huge list here, but basically it is the software we needed, but now we can't live without it.

Cons

Some of the features are a little on the expensive side when purchasing plans, but mostly because of our exchange rate.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

We felt that Homebase was much more inclusive overall allowing us to complete almost anything payroll related within one app.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Too much wasted time on scheduling and time tracking. We didn't know we could find a single software that had the complete solution.

Jessica from VMS Home Oxygen, INC

Industry: Medical Devices

Awesome software!

Okay, so I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS APP AND LOVE THIS PRODUCT. Home base is easy to use, easy to read, easy to understand. The platform is SERIOUSLY DUMMY PROOF! My 9 year old daughter helped me set it up. It is seriously that easy! My 4 year old will open my app and can tell if I forgot to clock out when I left work, and he even knows how to clock me out at the right time! It really is just that simple. I love the restrictions it offers. I can determine whether employees can clock in and out from their app, I can determine whether they can see labor reports, view other employees schedule, and I love the fact that they can request off right from the app, and I can approve or deny right from the app. I love that they can switch schedules and I can approve it instantly from home. This app just has so many great features. I will never use another payroll system again.

Pros

I love that the employees can request time off or switch/trade shifts from their phone and I can instantly deny or approve the request. I love the ease of pulling the time sheets, and reading the time sheets. I love the access to be able to edit employees time on a daily or weekly basis. Employees can be horrible for clocking in early unauthorized, not clocking out to walk down the street to the store, etc. This app makes it simple to edit this carelessness from employees without even having to sit them down and talk to them about clocking in and out. Its kind of like, Okay, you want to take 20 mins to walk down to dollar general and you have already taken your lunch previous, oh and you didn't clock out. Well let me fix that mistake for you. The system tracks tardies, which is awesome, bc after 90 days, anyone who has been tardy more than 20% of their shifts, only gets offered a part time position within the company. This system gives us accurate data to show the employees at their 90 day evaluation, and the data can't be disputed bc it is tracked based on their clock in and clock out times.

Cons

I don't like the fact that there is not room for multiple clock outs under the edit mode. If we do not clock out for an extra break, there is no where to add it. I always have to add the time employees are gone to their lunch break. It give a false interpretation and false data when we pull data from this system for evaluations. I really wish you would update this to add columns for extra breaks, and reasons for the breaks. Also, I wish you would add a column to give explanation for employees that clock in late, miss a scheduled day, or clock out early. This system does not even track early clock outs, just late clock ins. We often find that employees will leave early to take care of things, and sometimes it can become repetitous. I would like to be able to track the data.

William from Ebenezers Coffeehouse

Overall good - customer service is disappointing

Pros

I really value the integration with Square POS that allows me to use the analytical tools within Homebase. It's really helpful for me to be able to see my labor estimates and even the weather (coffee is largely dependent on weather). I value the real-time feedback on my labor costs as well. I also appreciate the flexibility of the timecard programming that allows the real world to happen and for callouts to not totally disrupt my timecards. We LOVE your integration with Gusto that makes my payroll incredibly easy. I came into this position expecting to drop your platform for hotschedules, but I've stuck with it because you integrate really well.

Cons

I am currently having problems with your Square POS integration and it's causing me to not enjoy the best parts of your program. Unfortunately your technical support is so backlogged that I get calls late at night when I can't access the program to make a fix.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

It's what we have right now, and its meeting my needs.

Annsley from Whit's Frozen Custard

Overview

It has a lot of great features and I like how you can modify a lot of the notifications to your needs.

Pros

I love how you can do the schedule out as far as in advance as possible but no one sees it until you post it. We have used other softwares that we would have to do a spreadsheet first and couldn't enter anything into the system until we were ready for anyone to see the shifts.

Cons

I would say the only thing I don't like is that we have trouble with the clock in system at one of our locations. Which is weird because it works perfectly fine at our other 3 locations. It doesn't register clock-ins a lot of times so my employees have to text me to clock them in. I have reached out support about this several times in the past and they just say to delete the app and then reinstall. It works great for about a day and then acts up again.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Homebase had more capabilities but most importantly connect to our Quickbooks which makes my life so much easier for payroll.

David from Kainos Team LLC

HomeBase Employee Scheduling

We LOVE HomeBase. It helps with scheduling of employees at our different stores with ease, especially working with part-time employees who need to block out their unavailability. Also like the TineOff request capability, so my managers can plan ahead for coverage. Out team members like the communications capability to request shift exchanges as well. Out store managers love the Time-keeping (clockIN and clockOUT) capabilities and late reminders. I like how easy it is to export the employees time-worked to our payroll software.

Pros

This is a very simple to use software and it is very easy to train our store managers to use it. It also gives visibility to All team members who is scheduled and for what shift.

Cons

It is really the best scheduling software. I do not have anything negative to day about it. The only thing that I wish it has, is the ability to have another layer of management report view that would allow my General manager to see that exclude those reports reserved for me as the owner. Current levels are "owner/general mgr", "store manager" and "user". It would be nice to separate "owner" reports from "general manager" reports.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

We saw how easy it is to use HomeBase to schedule our employees and track their time worked. I like how it is easy to train new store managers to use it. I also like the various reports it gives me as the owner so I can get a better handle on our labir financials.

Marybeth from MD's Sports Bar & Grill

Great POS system for a Sports Bar/ Restaurant

Scheduling is a breeze. I love i can duplicate schedules from weeks or months ago...sure saves time! It is great that I can Blackout dates that no staff can request off. It is great that staff can message each other or let the team know when a shift is available...to switch or cover for another person. I can send out a welcome message to the team when a new employee starts too...super easy to add staff as well!

Pros

It is nice to choose the apps that will work for your type of business. We are a sports bar, and it was perfect for us. It feels so good to not have a bunch of added items you dont use on your POS!!!

Cons

It seems to slow up at times, but it resolves quickly. I don't like that we purchased a tablet and that will be outdated so it no longer is supported or provided updates. The tablet is convenient, easy to use and we use it for training new staff!

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

it was cost effective for what we wanted to do.

Kevin from Lyft

Great system for employee time tracking.

Great experience! US-based representative whom were very kind, understanding and WILLING AND READY to resolve any and all issues when I needed to call to resolve the only issue I’ve ever had.

Pros

Homebase is extremely easy to set up employee time clock which happens to be free if your business has a single location and with a single location you may set it up for unlimited employees. For a small business owner where every dollar and cent matters, it’s a no brainer. A business owner may assign or allow the employee to set up their clock in and out code. Also, it may be set to take a photo of the employee during the clock in and out sessions to help or eliminate other employees from clocking in and out for them. Homebase offers an iPad, iPhone and an android app. You may also use your device's browser. We downloaded the app, installed it on an iPad for our employees to clock in and out on. The administrator has 100% access via web browser login. There’s also a feature which allows employees to clock in and out in the field which would geo-tag the location of the clocking activities.

Cons

Not a lot a negative things to say. This software is best if you have multiple employees who may have a staggered schedule. Example: an employee opens, then you have a mid day shift, then a closer. You also have many employees that may be out in the field. geo-tag is not the best choice for a single entrepreneur who’s trying to track their time, set up easier ways to do so.

Becky from Pie Pushers

we LOVE homebase.

Such a great experience - and they are so helpful too!

Pros

We have a few off-site jobs, not another location - but we are a food truck. So our shifts, timing, and dates and regularity change ALL the time. Homebase allows you to create and manipulate shifts, their names, times, etc. A lot of other platforms do now have as much customization available. AND its easy to create and change templates, as well as create and change schedules from a computer, phone, or ipad.

Cons

I wish we had options for printing, so that we could manipulate the format a little bit more. But its still quite strong. Also, sometimes the communication between our POS and Homebase has issues. Not too often, but it would be so, so nice if they spoke to each other and updated more smoothly.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Pricing and shift customization, mainly.

William from Indian Mound Mall

Industry: Public Safety

I could NOT Schedule without Homebase!!!!

I could NOT conduct my scheduling without this product!!! It makes scheduling both easy and fun!!! I can print out my schedules in different views for different levels of approval. I will NEVER use another product!!!

Pros

I love the fact that you can see from start to finish your scheduled shifts. I can see my coverage in advance and adjust on the fly. I love that fact that each employee can have their scheduling without having to come into the office to see a sheet of paper. I schedule out every two weeks, so my staff can see their schedules and even trade with each other if they would like. I can also see who has or hasn’t seen their schedule so I know exactly who to call for clarification.

Cons

I would like to see a way to have real time coverage bars indicating who is on duty with an option to view their time on shift in a bar setting (like the schedule view) so that I don’t have to look at numbers.

Price and ease of use!

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Homebase is a lot more powerful!

Dawn from Pembina County Memorial Hospital

Great for Critial Access Hospital

It was really easy to set up, and its really easy to customize. I am still fine tuning things, but I can't believe how much time I save by using Homebase. We use it for a small rural hospital, and the nurses always have access to their schedules, can switch shifts and the touch of a button. I can't say enough about the support staff, they are always easy to deal with and follow up to make sure the issue was settled. The software is always being upgraded, and I love the new feature where I can see when they requested the shift and when it was approved. I can show the staff the information, and they can't argue that they didn't know they had that shift. So many great features.

Pros

The software is very easy to use, very easy to customize. I always have our schedule in my hand because it's on my phone. I'm able to most everything on my phone that I can do on my laptop. New staff have no difficulty navigating through the functions. Has made my life so much better

Cons

In the beginning there were some little kinks that I had to figure out, like some functions I can't see on the monthly view that I can see on the weekly view, but any questions I had were found on the help tab or my chatting with Homebase staff.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

The ease of use, the price and the staff I dealt with initially were so friendly and eager to help. It's been a great fit for our organization.

August 2016

Wayne from ModVin

August 2016

A comprehensive, user friendly application that offers must-have features

This application was offered as part of our new Clover POS system. I began to use it to set up the employee schedules for a small (seven employee plus owners) business. The more I used it, the more impressed I was with it. It provides every function that a small business like ours needed, taking a very tedious and error prone process and making it easy and transparent to handle. Being able to delegate certain tasks to key employees, auto notices sent for upcoming shifts, notification if someone hasn't clocked in within a set period for their shift, labor rate vs revenue analysis, end of year tax information gathering...and this was all in the free version that came with Clover! All in all, I am both impressed and pleased with this package. It looks to me like the right team wrote the right code for the right objectives at the right price. How often does that happen in the software world?

Pros

Ease of use, nailed key functions needed, intelligent navigation, visually uncluttered despite having a lot of functionality.

Cons

It is not a shortcoming of the software but of non-technical users. The biggest problem I have had is bringing along the technophobes who are used to working with...wait for it...paper calendars and personal journals to keep up with. They yearn to be able to use something so powerful but blanch when they open the home screen and see what is available. It is about as user friendly as can be imagined but some still are so intimidated that it is hard to get them to dig in. When they do, they begin to appreciate the value that is provided. The key is bringing the shy types along S L O W L Y. This software will sell itself once it is given a fair opportunity to shine. Just grit your teeth and work with them. It's more than worth the effort.

Grace from DR Heidi Johnson OD PC

Easy to manage staff

instead of emailing we started using this app to manage schedules (which were done on paper before!) and to send messages to staff, like hey team i'm going to be late this morning, or on Friday we can wear jeans to work! It has made our team much more cohesive and together. now we all know what is going on!

Pros

Most of our staff is young and are on their phones all the time anyways. This app made scheduling a breeze with requests to switch shifts and time off easy to fill and move around hours. Plus there was no more second guessing what time you were scheduled for or who is off. Also you have the ability to message staff through the app which has made interoffice communication much better!

Cons

The free version only allows 1 manager- I recommend upgrading and letting a manager from every department be able to manage their employees coverage. otherwise it gets a bit overwhelming for 1 manager. Occasionally the app will not let me in asking me to enter a verification code, that is a bit annoying.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

the free trial is what worked well for us, that way we could try it our before we invested to much time into it

Megan from Shoals Dream Center

Affordable scheduling software

I use the scheduling portion the most. Once a time-off request is approved, it will remind you when you go to schedule some to work on their scheduled time off. This eliminates scheduling errors. I can also look at each location quickly if I need to shift employees around if I am shorthanded.

Pros

I like that I am able to link all of my locations within one application. I can easily schedule someone for multiple sites and assign specific duties, send messages, approve or decline time-off, etc.

Cons

I do not like that I can't edit someone's information when they take ownership of their account. I have some that forget passwords and not update their personal information like phone numbers and email addresses.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

We had already been using Homebase and it was cheaper.

Jordan from Longfellow's Coffee

Good

Easy to use. A bit slow when loading some pages, such as the applications page. Some parts don’t work as well as they should.

Pros

I like that I can easily see and adjust people’s schedules. I like that they get notifications that their shift is coming up. The push to my calendar is also a plus. Onboarding is simple. It’s well thought out.

Cons

I’d like to be able to write mock schedules. I know Homebase integrates with some POS, but it doesn’t with mine. It would also be great if there was discount for multiple stores under the same account. Adding photos to a message sometimes does not work. Could we get the ability to have a separate message stream even if it’s to the same group of people?

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Free version. Then I was hooked.

Christy from Mule Kick

Definitely worth it

Overall this product and customer support have been great!

Pros

The reason that I started using g homebase was because it is linked to Square. However, even if I stopped using square I would still use homebase!

Cons

Some of the reports are difficult to configure and very time consuming to drill down to the data we need

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Again because HomeBase was linked to square

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Home base was linked to square

Michael from Eatery & More

The Eatery & More

Before, our business was using paper schedules and there would always be problems when it needed to be changed for whatever reason. Homebase has helped us better communicated with one another. People can see their schedule where ever they are and can talk to team-members whenever needed. It has been a great asset to our business.

Pros

I like that my team all have access to the schedule as soon as it comes out. The ability for them to request days off on the app is amazing because I do not have to remember all the days, it comes up while I'm making the schedule. The ability for my team to clock in and out on their phones makes it easy and efficient and the ability to track where they did so is very reassuring. Everyone on the team is also able to message on it which means everyone can be in contact even without everyone sharing their phone numbers. The ability for the team to see who they are working with and in what positions is a great bonus too.

Cons

I would love to be able to put on the schedule that we are closed on certain days (for holidays or other reasons) just as a reminder for the team. I would also like an option to remove employees without having to terminate them. In cases with students going back to college but working on breaks or families taking maternity leave, they don't need to notifications from Homebase, but they are still planning on continuing to work later on.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

The free trail gave us everything that we were looking for and needed. It is user friendly and easy to learn.

Angela from Cumberland Used Auto Parts

One of the best software tools out there for small businesses

Scheduling, Clock in and outs, communication with employees, hiring - I use Homebase for all these features. I've made a couple of suggestions along the way and their customer support is superior. I feel heart or they find a solution for me that I didn't think of. Hands down, this is one of the best software decisions I've made for my company.

Pros

The scheduling feature and time clock were the two most important features in implementing this software. But since then, the Hiring feature has become so valuable. Honestly every feature they offer is superb and what a great value.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

I use ADP for payroll processing but their timeclock feature is more costly. And it doesn't give me all the other features like creating the schedule and hiring. At the time, Homebase didn't offer payroll services, but now they do. I would probably have considered their payroll services, but now making that switch does seem overwhelming. But if I was just starting out, I wouldn't hesitate to give their payroll a go too given how much I love the tool for every other aspect of this task.

Jake from Island Tans

Underrated Product

5 stars is not enough stars. If you get this product, you'll be thrilled. I only have a small business (2 locations, 6 employees), and I use a lot of the features, but I don't need all of them. But it's clear to me that as we grow, Homebase will be able to accommodate, easily.

Pros

Homebase is easy to use, quick, and effective. There is practically no learning curve for new employees. Scheduling is a breeze, as is running reports for payroll. It gives me quick reporting to see my business performance, even when I'm not there I can see how the shops are performing. Clock-in features work great. Customer service and troubleshooting (not that you'll even need it) are seriously amazing. This team treats you like your problem is their main priority.

Cons

I wish the date selection feature still said the day of the week like it used to. It says July 10 2019, but it used to say Wednesday July 10 2019. I mean... that's all I can think of that I would change... and that's kind of a non-issue.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

They offered a version which allowed me to test the waters. It's been Homebase ever since. I'll recommend them to anyone who sits still long enough to listen.

Paden from Bad Nonna's Pasta

Love the APP! Wish you had cheaper monthly subscription options

Great! Just wish I could afford pro.

Pros

We love the software. It allows us to schedule, save info, talk to employees, and hire! I would love to have the pro feature but we simply cannot afford over $300 a month just to schedule and speak to employees. I’m a VERY small business and that takes about all the left over money I have at the end of the month.

Cons

The price, it also has been glitching ALOT. Most days I can’t see the schedule I created. The app will appear blank as if nothing has been created. I have deleted and redownloaded the app and still experience issues. The fact you can’t have multiple managers to adjust the schedule SUCKS. I am always signed in under my husbands profile to adjust the schedule. Please fix this. So many company’s would love this new permission set.

You were free.

Heather from Camp Bow Wow

Happy Manager

The homebase team has been nothing but helpful and supportive, and are always willing to take suggestions.

Pros

I love that there is an app connected to the schedule and other features! A huge plus is my team being able to put in their own time off, and request shift trades or covers through the app as well.

Cons

The scheduler can run slowly, and it would be nice to be able to organize job applicants a little better.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

It seemed like the option that would be best suited to our needs.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

A previous manager had set up When I Work and I HATED it. I did not like working with it, and found it to be glitchy and difficult.

Joyce from Lake George Massage and Day Spa

Spectacular service

Overall my experience is wonderful everyone has been so kind and helpful if you have any questions and they are really concerned about your business and making sure that you have what you need to be better.

Pros

I was looking for something that was easy and convenient to use and most of our employees are contractors and we do not need to track their hours and we do have one employee that we have to pay hourly and this just seemed like the best way to go. It was free to use for what we needed. What could be better than that. Homebase is wonderful and is just what we were looking for. We are a small business and when we grow we of course will use the service more. But it saves me time doing payroll and it is ADP friendly which is another plus .

Cons

It was a little confusing at first but after using the features and playing with it a bit I found it to be quite logical so I was able to figure things out with just a little playing around. As i played I thought it to be a wonderful program and I could see what a time saver it could be especially if you have more employees than we do.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

IT was FREE and we don't have lots of money to spend since we are a new business and Covid happened so that really threw us for a loop. But thank goodness we are able to get back to work and we look forward to growing and Homebase is what we believe we will stick with. It just feels good.

Kaitlynn from Kaitlynn's Deli & Ice Cream Shop

The Features I Need for Free

Pros

I get to schedule employees and they get to see it on their phones, check schedules, ask for time off, trade shifts, and get reminded to come to work an hour before their shift starts! I can change timecards on the back end if I need to, see how many hours I have scheduled, and estimate what payroll will be. It's easy to clock in and out in the app and Homebase keeps up with the times for pertinent questions to ask when they clock in.

Cons

Trying to shedule a shift from the app will make the schedule go off. You put in one time and then it changes it 2 hours for some reason, not a big deal, it usually schedule from my laptop anyway.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

It had the features that I needed; multiple shifts per day and changing timecards for free!

Does the job

Overall the app works well for what it was designed to do, keep track of timesheets. The customer service responds quickly and is very helpful.

Pros

The software does what its' meant to do, keep track of clocking in and out. This helps to supplement the payroll process greatly and is easy to access and use by out employees.

Cons

The scheduling function could be better. Our industry a little different, usually the work is project based. It would be nice to be able to schedule multiple people to one project with just a start time. We usually don't know when exactly a show will end, or when everyone will make it back so adding some flexibility would be very helpful. Even just having the ability to schedule multiple employees at the same time instead of having to click each one would be great.

Cost.

Martha from 12 Strikes LLC

If you own a business, you must have Homebase.

It was a life safer for us. one of our employees demolished our former time clock system. I went online to find something to save us, that we could afford, covid 19 had us closed for 2 months. No money coming in. There your company was, easy to set up, could use any where we could get on internet, we have 10 computers in the building.

Pros

The Time Clock. is very vital to us. Also the fact that it shows the break. It shows me if they didn't clock out for there break. our employees are told when they are hired, if you don't take you break.... thanks for the donation, it will be subtracted from your time. The scheduling is just as important, people need to know when they work, it is wonderful that it goes to there phones, not just hanging on a wall, for them to say, " I didn't know"

Cons

I really really wish I could copy and paste in the scheduling part.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

It was available at the exact time that I needed it. I really was not sure at that time, what a great product that i was becoming involved with. i wished we would have gotten it sooner.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

One of our employees killed it. it was very out dated, it needed upgrading. It was the weekend, no one answering the phone at that company. we needed something then.

Anthony from Country Nook Cafe

Great Scheduler and Time tracker

Pros

I use the free version and the functions and customer support are excellent. I have called them several times and they always answer and always solve the problem. For free you cannot get much better.

Cons

The free version lacks a few features I would like to use, such as time card saving and managing how far before the shift an employee can log in. The problem I have is the paid plans are too expensive. The pricing goes from zero to expensive to very expensive. There is no mid tier pricing for someone like me that wants a few extra features.

Cost

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Needed a scheduler and more features.

KATIE from Something cheesy Llc, dba: cacio

Time clock/HR pro review

Please see above under "pros". Pretty much sums it up. Easy to use as an administrator and for employees. I would recommend creating and HR pro tab from the homepage rather than navigating through the "team" tab.

Pros

I think it is fairly simple to use and for all questions I have I generally get quick answers from support. The free HR support offered during the pandemic was very generous and we ended up signing up. In past reviews I have stated that I think your pricing should be based on a sliding scale depending on how many employees a business has. For someone like myself, who only has 2 hourly employees I don't need to use HR pro much and may not be able to justify $800+ for annual renewal for minimal assist and usage. I do like the onboarding paperwork feature that was added as well.

Cons

I don't like that when publishing a schedule, the default on my version is to update all employees. Unfortunately, we had to furlough employees and if I don't manually change it, it defaults to alert all on our team even though they don't have a schedule or employed by us currently.

Scott from Skylight Cinemas

We LOVE Homebase!

Homebase is the best scheduling platform I’ve used since I’ve been in the business nearly 20 years.

Pros

Homebase has all of the features that our small business needs from scheduling, to forecasting, employee messaging, business development tools, and it is all incredibly intuitive and easy to use! I’ve used several scheduling platforms over the years and we’ll stick with Homebase from here on out!

Cons

There’s nothing to not like about this product. The customer service is top notch so if you ever have an issue, it will be resolved to your satisfaction and they’re always inquiring about potential features we may be interested in.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Pricing. Homebase offers just as much as the “bigger” scheduling platforms at a much more affordable rate.

Brittany from Transylvania University

Amazing!

Pros

I love all the features of homebase. I have used several different scheduling products and homebase is by far the best! The scheduling, the ability to mass upload, the time clock, the time sheets, the reporting, the messaging! All of it is above and beyond anything I have ever used before! I would recommend this to anyone and everyone!

Cons

Only that I am not yet in a position to pay for the reporting features! I can't wait to use those!!

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Homebase is a combination of deputy, when to work, and slack. I couldn't be happier!

Daniel from Wilton Creamery, LLC

Multitool for time and attendance

I am an early adopter and have watched the software development from version 1. It has grown quite a bit and I have referred 15-20 other businesses. Though they never mention me for a referral bonus.

Pros

I love the scheduling and time and attendance features. I like the flexibility and the abilities of my team to control their own schedule and time off.

Cons

I dislike that the only feature I require from the next tier (+$20 per month) is different job codes so I just don't use it. I renegotiate payrate and time to achieve payrate differential for alternate job descriptions. It it was a weekly issue, I would switch products... that's how serious of a flaw it it. Also, Shift Ratings are a good idea but the functionality to retrieve their comments is clunky and I only remember to search it out once a month. It just makes it a throw away feature.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

There were only two scheduling apps initially on Clover. Homebase was not even a First Data company yet. I have looked at two others over the past years and decided to stay with Homebase.

Jason from Plum Point

More than just employee time tracking

We started using Homebase for employee time tracking, but there are several features we have started to rely on and are really useful. Mainly posting new jobs on multiple job boards and tracking applicants. Also, this has become our tool for employee communications. I have talked to companies like Paychex that have similar product offerings, but they are much more expensive.

Pros

The core feature we needed was employee time tracking, but we have started using this for team communication and posting new jobs and tracking applicants.

Cons

I wish I could easier audit when the manager edits clock ins and clock outs.

Better price.

Anna from Foster’s Freeze

Good stuff

Pros

I really like the geo clock and functioning with employees using their mobile phones instead of store equipment

Cons

Cost and reporting could be more detailed to be more HR equipped

Easier to use

Easier to make schedule

Valerie from Concord Tap House

Industry: Restaurants

Great addition to my management tools

Homebase is invaluable to me. It's very convenient and user friendly.

Pros

Homebase is a must-have for me. I do the schedule, communicate with team members and prospective hires and it integrates with square for spot number analysis.

Cons

Team members have given me feedback that it's has been occasionally glitchy to sign in and rarely to clock in. Thankfully there is the web time clock option as an alternative when that happens. I am not sure if this has been resolved, b/c no one has complained of this in the last month at the time of this writing.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

Homebase had all of the features I needed in one software and it's easy to implement. Also they are consistently adding new features.

Bob from Gerald's Tires and Brakes

So close to perfect, but still missing some features that are very important to us.

Very good. I

Pros

Very easy to set up. Very easy to use. I just had to add on another location we just opened and it was so straight forward. I had it set up in minutes.

Cons

I've brought this same concern up for over two years when I talk to support specialist. When I do my annual reviews, I want to quickly be able to get to the data that shows how many times an employee was late, left his shift early or called out sick. I need that for a 365 day period. Also, we have 7 locations and approximately 130 employees. About 10-20% of those employees move from store to store on a regular basis. We internally call them "floaters". I'd like to be able to just pick a floater and see what his overall track record is. Printed on one page with the stores he worked at listed. Also, because we have multiple locations and we have floaters, it would a nice feature if we could work on 2 locations at once on the same screen. Jumping back in and out of locations takes a little extra time.

Ash from Portland Museum

Industry: Museums and Institutions

Amazing Solution for Small Nonprofit

If it wasn't for the free option, as well as the Clover integration, we would still be manually recording employees' hours. Since we're able to use a digital solution, I'm can pull timesheets and submit payroll from anywhere. As a very small team, my day to day varies drastically — but as long as I have my phone or laptop with me, I never have to worry about accessing employee timecards.

Pros

As a small nonprofit museum, the best part of the software is the availability of a free version. It has all the basic necessities of a digital time clock, plus it is integrated into our Clover register and employees can download the app to clock-in for remote work.

Cons

Our pay schedule isn't normal. Instead of being weekly or bi-weekly, we run payroll twice a month (on the 15th and the last day of the month). THANKFULLY, there is an option for this in the settings, but the dates that our payroll periods begin on isn't the same from one month to the next. So, every pay period I have to go into the settings on a web browser and update the start dates. Unfortunately, the only solution that Homebase could provide is a more complex algorithm that would take into account what the last day of the month is, as well as adjusting the date if it falls on a weekend since our payroll company process the pay run on Friday instead of the exact date if that date falls on a Saturday or Sunday.

Kathy from Keva smoothie

HomeBase Scheduling is the Bomb

Scheduling is always a pain to make sure shifts are adequately covered. HomeBase make this headache so much simpler to handle.

Pros

Ease if use, adaptability, manager notification, team communication, documentation of absence, mobile access, etc. are all so easy to use and makes life easier for scheduling coverage for shifts.

Cons

Some reporting features are hard to understand how to run them. Also for additional features, it requires upgrading to more expensive subscriptions.

Reasons for Choosing Homebase

No alternative product was considered.

Bryce from City of Hurricane

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Overall great team communication software

We have been using it for over 2 years and we have explored other options but always come back to basecamp because it is easy to use, cost-effective, and reliable.

Pros

keyword search options, project creation for teams, to-do lists, individual communications with team members, the fee includes unlimited team members (a big selling point for an agency on a budget),

Cons

The only flaw I can think of is I wish that customer service had live chat.

Reasons for Switching to Homebase

Cost. In basecamp, you pay a flat fee for unlimited users and groups.