• Pros

• "I absolutely love Waveapp. It is easy to use to manage my client invoices, estimates, employee payroll, and track business expenses."

• "No longer have to fill out and turn in paper time sheets. Its very easy to use for all level employees."

• "This sodtware makes it simple to do payroll for my company. The handle all of the taxes and scheduling of payroll liability payments. I love that they automatically fill out my employee tax forms."

• Cons

• "The only thing I don’t like is that I can’t set up payroll to run automatically each week. You need to run payroll and approve it. My employees are salary so the pay is the same each week."

• "Personally, it's not that the customer support is bad, but it's not as attentive to me as I would like it. "

• "The mobile interface does not work very well. The app sometimes crashes. Other than that, there no other cons with the software."

Browse Payroll by Wave Reviews

Aisha

I have been using WaveApp For 2 years

Pros

Cons

The only drawback is waiting several days for funds to be transferred to your bank account. When my clients make a payment, I get a notification that I have been paid, however, those funds take a few days before they actually show up in my bank. It would be great if Waveapp was a bank as well.

Wave is better than Xero & QuickBooks

My overall experience has been spectacular. It was easy for me to add bank accounts and integrate other key extensions. I prefer this over Xero only because it's free and easy to use on both mobile and desktop. It's packed with many things that I still have to explore when I get the chance. I think everyone should give this software a shot before they decide on moving on to a paid platform.

Pros

I like that it's completely free and has many easy aspects of adding receipts, reporting, tracking your expenses, bank accounts and more. I compared it with other bookkeeping software and Wave is the best because it's free and does the same things as other platforms but more. I will mainly be using this in my business to keep track of taxes and file it accordingly.

Cons

There are no cons for me for this software as I recently started using it. I think the only thing they should do is continuously adding more features and updates.

Reasons for Choosing Payroll by Wave

Simply because it was free and has everything I need in it to manage and keep track of my small business.

Kalman from ViV Web Solutions

This is very DIY and was missing important things

Pros

Price. Seemed like less $ than other services. We were using Wave for accounting and that software has more good things going. For someone with a DIY mentality around Taxes and regulatory alignment, I guess this could be ok.

Cons

They missed some notes about things we need to file and it cost us money and time.

Shaun D from Equip Your Kitchen 4 Less

If was any simpler it'd be illegal

Super simple. We were actually able to get everything set-up in 4 hours, not missing a beat, employees were paid on time and reporting cash in - cash out doesn't require a degree from MIT.

Pros

I can't even begin to say how SIMPLE it is! I was looking for something that my Daughter and Wife could use to do AR/AP as well as payroll. It took me literally 4 hours to get 237 employees added with their payroll information. Didn't miss a payday :-)

Cons

The invoicing was/is clunky. You only have 3 designs to choose from. I haven't found a way to import designs from another invoicing software that I was using. I'd kind of like to just have one......but it's not too important right now.

Geoff from Appraisal Partners

The BEST, most simple accounting software

With wave accounting I am able to easily create invoices and bills. I am able to effortlessly pay contractors & employees with direct deposit.

Pros

Ease of use, customer service, price, features & design.

Cons

Some solutions require a work around that is not intuitive.

Love Wave App!

Pros

It's a great software for billing and invoicing clients, vendors, employees, and independent contractors. I love the ability to send the invoices via email and getting paid within the system. It's simply, easy to use and have a variety of features including, connecting your financial institution to the app for payment, saving and exporting data and interface is very clean.

Kamilah from Jolly Esquire, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

I love Wave

Pros

I love Wave! It is awesome. The payroll feature is easy to use and the transaction tagging is very easy.

Cons

I do not have very many complaints if any at all. The support staff responds very quickly to any issues or concerns that a user may have.

Jenifer from MDK Marine

Industry: Maritime

Wave Payroll

Have great success at accounting, banking and my payroll just got easier. I can print reports. Very Happy. Wave On

Pros

Its Free and very easy to use. Many options.

Cons

Haven't found any issues with the software

Michael S from Cmd

Good for very small business, up to 20 employees? But if you will grow, then this is not for you

Support is ok, but one time there was a delay on payroll from Wave's end, and it was 5PM on a friday, the support team cut us off and we were left in a lurch. Not exactly a great feeling. We will be moving off Wave as soon as we can. We will looking at payroll in Quickbooks online, ADP/Cerdian, and BlueMarble

Pros

It is easy and straight forward to run a payroll and to setup new employees.

Cons

Reporting is terrible. I cannot run summary reports by department, YTD, so on. It has very basic reporting, so if you are a 5 person shop, this will work. If you are going to scale and need to split costs by department, it will be painful.

Good but could be better, still new

Pros

They are a good value for the service, but they don't have full service payroll in many states yet and paying taxes on your own can be tough

Cons

They don't have full services payroll, and support is slow to respond. I imagine this will get better over time.

Juan Carlos from Unicomer Group.

Simple and easy to use as their name!

We appreciate the web based option for sheets to allow our remote workforce to access timecards, time off requests, and pay stubs from their locations

Pros

Cons

At the end of every week it takes about 6 hours to punch in and key all missed punches from employees. But I do recommend the use of this software.

Holly from Mop To It inc

Love this software!

Pros

I have been using this for payroll and book keeping for the last several years. It is super easy to use and has almost all the features I need. I create T4s on it and can invoice clients!

Cons

I wish it could allow staff access to enter their own hours then I could approve them. This feature would make a big difference!

Tonya from Home Solutions by T.J. Kurkey, Inc.

No More Payroll Headaches

This software has saved me a ton of time and frustration. When I have questuins they respnd quickly to help me out.

Atul from Schneck & Harley Immigration Law Group, LLP

Ideal for Small Business

We have been using Payroll by Wave for quite a few years now and are very happy with it. We are one of the top immigration law firms based in Pittsburgh, PA and our mission is to provide affordable experienced representation and personal case handling to cost-conscious clients and businesses. We have very caring and passionate employees that help us achieve our mission. Payroll by Wave is the perfect solution for our small business needs for running payroll and managing vacation time. It is very easy to use with a very well designed and intuitive user interface. It guides you through the setup process if you are a new user. It has several features such as Reminders, Payroll Review, Direct Deposit, Tax Reporting and Tax filing (we do not use the tax filing feature since we already had a process in place before it was introduced). It is integrated into the Wave accounting platform (we use some other Wave apps as well) and has support for both full-time and part-time employees. Signing up new employees is straightforward. The Wave Team provides excellent customer service and responds to questions / requests in reasonable time. They are also open to collaborating with their clients to get feedback and make the solution better.

Rita from Maxim Software

I wish I found about this sooner

Pros

This is the best place to organize payments, finances, and payroll. Seriously! It's so easy to setup and a breeze to use. I feel hugged everytime I use wave. They added an Accounting area that it's amazing. I can't say enough how much I love this program. They integrate with paypal, your bank account, etsy! You can create your own invoice template with your logo and colors for free!

Cons

I can't find anything in waves that make me want to find another service. There are no cons, they keep adding new features.

Shannon from Cookeville k9 n Friends

Industry: Veterinary

Great product

I love that it is easy to use and figure out. Costumer service is helpful. Very affordable. Perfect for my small business.

Pros

Easy to use. Spells out taxes. Simple. Affordable

Cons

Not much. Really good product. I love the payroll feature too much to have a con.

Justin from Wiki Wiki Japanese

August 2015

Easy to use but feature rich bookkeeping and payroll for small business

Previously I had QuickBooks online. They were ok, but they cost me about five times the price, and their system has certain traditional accounting options that are way too much for me. Wave does great simple accounting at a really cheap price. I recommend it for any small business owner who needs something they can handle on their own without hiring their own accountant. The only reason I didn't give Customer Service 5 stars is because these folks are located in the eastern time zone and I'm in Hawaii, so I basically never got to talk to them when I paid extra for the phone support because they yabba-dabba-do on home at 5pm EST -- pretty classic, old fashioned business hours. Now I'm back on e-mail support and it's fine -- cheaper anyway. Phone or e-mail, the support staff are all genuine and work with you on a sincere one-to-one basis... no BS'ing or shining people on. Good people; focused, and responsible.

One of my favorite pieces of Wave Apps!

Pros

The Payroll section of Wave is wonderful. After getting it setup it only takes minutes to enter in timesheets and run it.

Very Intuitive and Easy to Use Payroll Software

Pros

Payroll by Wave is very easy to use, very intuitive, and it's great that it sent payroll reminders and showed you the total amount to withdraw. Direct deposit is another handy feature!

Cons

No complaints at all! I only had good experiences with Payroll by Wave!

Andrew from Taplytics

Wave Payroll - Super Simple Payroll

We've been using Wave Payroll for the past two years for both Canadian and US employees. It's by far the easiest service we've ever used. - Employees have commented how easily and quickly they get their tax information and direct deposit setup. Payment by direct deposit works great every time, if they have questions, they can view their stubs online easily. - I don't have to event think about CRA or US tax remittances, it just happens automatically - Getting T4s, T5s, W2, W3, forms 940 and 941 every year couldn't be easier and they integrate nicely into the accounting part of the service as well - Automatically filed ROEs are also a nice touch - Having the payroll service integrated with our invoicing and accounting software just makes everything run smoothly, and saves us a ton of time every month

I absolutely love it! Just get excited thinking about going back!

Pros

I love the simplicity of it. I am not an accountant, and they make me feel like I am! Haha I love that I feel secure using them to.

Alexandra from Monte Sion PR

I love Wave!

Pros

This has been the best online payroll tool we've had. Although, since you can have it for free it can surprise as to how good the product is. Not complicated at all, very user-friendly and most important, gets the job done.

Cons

I really share no bad feelings towards the product. Ever since we've used it for our small company it has worked very well.

Maggie from Accounting & Bookkeeping Systems

August 2015

I recommend cost-effective solutions for small businesses and non-profit organizations

Pros: Easy to use, extremely cost effective, direct deposit and Revenue Canada remittances, transmit payrolls in advance, cannot run off-cycle pay runs Cons: Cannot schedule off-cycle pay runs. For most business owners not being able to schedule off-cycle pay runs is an excellent safe guard to ensure (in Canada) that CPP and EI calculations are correct. As a professional I sometimes need to do to do this and have developed workarounds to ensure that Wave payroll still is my solution of choice. Overall it's an excellent product with great customer support.

Casey from Seton Hall University School of Law

Easy to use payroll system with no frills

Overall I love Wave and the Payroll system. Consider starting a free trial to look around the program.

Pros

I have used Wave accounting and recently added on the payroll system for my 2 employees. It was so easy to set up my account and even easier to submit time and get them paid through direct deposit. The employees like being able to log on and see their stubs. The fees are so affordable for a small business. Highly recommend!

Cons

Wave was just bought by QuickBooks and I am concerned about how the acquisition will affect this program.

November 2014

Peter from Mugo Web

November 2014

Simple, clean, and powerful

Payroll by Wave makes it easy to schedule payrolls; adjust deductions, salaries, bonuses, and so on; it handles automatic remittances; and it's affordable. It has an intuitive interface. I can fully recommend it after having evaluated it against its online competitors, having used it for 2 years, and having come from many years of struggles with ADP. The only thing I'm waiting on is multi-currency support on its payments add-on: https://support.waveapps.com/entries/22235625-Multi-currency-support-for-Payments-by-Stripe

Free but hidden problems

Pros

Best thing about it is that it is free but the features are amazing for a free tool. It has a dashboard that allows you to see charts for overdue invoices, bank accounts and credit cards. The invoice templates are great, as this makes it easy to use and you can customized them too. Great way to track and use.

Cons

My biggest problem was customer support, very limited and useless. There is a hidden fee that is not mentioned which should be disclosed. A bit of a trust issue with this system.

Nadim from World Athlete Management LLC

Great people, great service

I have been utilizing Wave's services for a while now. It started with invoicing only and I have since upgraded to Payroll by Wave. Their communication and services are both excellent, as well as their pricing. I recommend any small business owner to make use of their services. You speak to real people and they are very at tentative and knowledgeable. They even go out of their way to help find solutions to your questions they don'e "have to answer". Great experience.

Kendal from VM Strategies

Great up and coming accounting platform

Pros

I started with the free version for accounting only and like the integrations in all areas of my accounting needs

Cons

It's not as intuitive as QuickBooks is. Quickbooks will start to recognize transactions over time and default categorize them for you, Wave has not caught up with that yet.

February 2016

Sally from Community Foundations of Canada

February 2016

Paula from Pacific Coast Business Services

Good Value for Basic Payroll

PROS: A simple, user-friendly interface for small businesses that want to ensure they are abiding by payroll regulations. Works well when set up with direct deposit. Customer support is usually timely and quite helpful. CONS: Doesn't handle vacation accrual very well and does not include vacation payable in reports so manual calculation required. Somewhat inflexible regarding date changes.

David from Simmonds CPA Professional Corporation

August 2015

I am a CPA that provides bookkeeping and tax services to business persons using the Wave software.

The payroll module in Wave is very easy to use once set up. It can process payroll, take funds from your account and direct deposit to the employee's account as well as make the payroll deduction remittances for you. The cost is very low and the module integrates into the accounting software thereby saving many steps. Anyone that requires payroll I recommend they use Wave.

Ashley from Sage Recruiting

August 2015

Best payroll product on the market!

Wave Accounting is definitely one of the best companies for accounting, and their payroll app has really come out on top! It's easy to use, easy to learn, and the user experience is optimal. The customer service is by far the best in the business. The pricing is so inexpensive that you cannot go wrong! I wholly recommend this product to any small business!

Lea from GLD

Easy way to run payroll

Payroll by Wave is an easy-to-use system for processing your payroll in-house and also offering direct deposit. This platform is integrated with Wave's general accounting software, which helps reduce the need for additional manual journal entries. Very straight-forward.

Praveen from Strawberry Systems

Extremely Poor Customer Service

Pros

Self-service web interface is fairly easy to use. That's pretty much all I like about this application/service.

Cons

Wave Payroll's customer service is extremely poor. It's almost impossible to reach Wave Payroll agents by phone. Emails to Wave Payroll Support are sometimes do not generate a response. Agents contradict each other statements. Basically, it's a crazy house there. Missing features of most payroll services. Many states are not supported.

Sarah from Boston Outdoor Preschool Network

Terrible customer support

Pros

I don't have any pros to report at this time.

Cons

--> On their website they hide their phone number. Red flag. --> On 2 occasions I had trouble understanding their responses to my questions when using the chat feature. --> When I asked them to please call someone at my bank to help figure something out, they refused. In comparison, when I asked Gusto to please call my bank, they did so within a few minutes and then sent me a follow-up email.

Kim from Your Computer Tutor & Repair

Good alternative to other mainstream software

Wave requires a lot of user intervention. It is a great, free option and has an app on phone but you will need to keep up with it, as banking link is inaccurate or often disconnected.

Pros

It was free and linked with the bank immediately. It was somewhat intuitive although it was not clear how to disconnect certain bank accounts while leaving others connected.

Cons

It kept disconnecting link to bank accounts without users changing anything. Had not even logged in and it was disconnected repeatedly.

Response from Atlantic Training

Replied March 2019

Im sorry I think this may have been posted on the wrong software. WAVE is a learning platform for risk management and does not link to any type of banking or e-commerce.

Doug from Doug Chinnery Building Contractor

August 2015

Makes paying my crew easy

I've been using Wave Payroll for over a year and I'm not sure I'd still be running my business without it. It does all the work of navigating the CRA hurdles and with direct deposit, it really is a 2 button operation.

Anyugel from Information Technology

Pros

the service is rally easy to use and manage, even for those people, like me, without background in payroll management

Cons

It is really ugly and you can't customize the features and the service, because it doesn't left you enough control over the payroll

Jim from BitWise Laboratories, Inc

Simple, Easy Payroll

Integrated well with WAVE cloud accounting. Payroll features are easy to setup and control. Email alerts tell me when to run payroll. Nice.

travis from bakery

Awful invoice

they hold my payments so they can find information about my customers,that makes bad business i dont use this invoice anymore. For those thinking its good wait until they hold your payment then ask stupid questions about your customer. Pathetic..

Pros

it was ok in the beginging

Cons

They like to hold your payments and want to harrass your customer by asking personal questions.

Lindsay from AirMarket Inc.

Linda from NTF

I found it very intuitive to use and set up.

Pros

It does everything I need it to. I found it very easy to set up invoices, online payment options for clients, recurring billing for clients, and more.

Rolland from Rovee Cabinetry

Set-up lengthy and painful

Pros

The tool has nice features and a nice dashboard, that is it really.

Cons

They ask for personal information which is irrelevant for the product, especially when in 2017 the keep telling young to give your personal information liberally.

Susanna from Bismark

Quick Payrolls

Pros

It takes away the stress of choosing the right layout for invoices. It provides many templates to pick from and colour customizable. Entering the information for the invoice is easy to follow. It also gives you the choice to do direct deposit to your bank.

Cons

The program runs a bit slow at times, an upgrade on the speed of the website would be helpful.

Not user friendly; More of a time waster

Great ideas - bad implementation, less than optimal user interface.

Pros

I don't, it doesn't work. I thought I was signing up for payroll, that it was free not for additional fees. It worked for a month, then stopped. Had to go through the process again. Then again the connections did not work. There is nothing I like about this software.

Cons

Negative option for signing up. Lack of user friendly interface. Dropped connections for Direct Deposit. Not easy to sign up, issues after we've gone through the process. Less than optimal support.