What are Wave Payroll users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Wave Payroll software through verified user reviews

• icon"The employees like being able to log on and see their stubs. The fees are so affordable for a small business."
  • icon"It has a dashboard that allows you to see charts for overdue invoices, bank accounts and credit cards. The invoice templates are great, as this makes it easy to use and you can customized them too."
  • icon"I started with the free version for accounting only and like the integrations in all areas of my accounting needs."
  • icon"Wave Payroll's customer service is extremely poor. It's almost impossible to reach Wave Payroll agents by phone."
  • icon"The app sometimes crashes. Other than that, there no other cons with the software."
  • icon"Negative option for signing up. Lack of user friendly interface."

Browse all Wave Payroll Reviews

• Have you used Wave Payroll and would like to share your experience with others?

Barbara

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

Good until you Deactivate

Shaun D

If was any simpler it'd be illegal

Super simple. We were actually able to get everything set-up in 4 hours, not missing a beat, employees were paid on time and reporting cash in - cash out doesn't require a degree from MIT.

Pros

I can't even begin to say how SIMPLE it is! I was looking for something that my Daughter and Wife could use to do AR/AP as well as payroll. It took me literally 4 hours to get 237 employees added with their payroll information. Didn't miss a payday :-)

Cons

The invoicing was/is clunky. You only have 3 designs to choose from. I haven't found a way to import designs from another invoicing software that I was using. I'd kind of like to just have one......but it's not too important right now.

Wave is better than Xero & QuickBooks

My overall experience has been spectacular. It was easy for me to add bank accounts and integrate other key extensions. I prefer this over Xero only because it's free and easy to use on both mobile and desktop. It's packed with many things that I still have to explore when I get the chance. I think everyone should give this software a shot before they decide on moving on to a paid platform.

Pros

I like that it's completely free and has many easy aspects of adding receipts, reporting, tracking your expenses, bank accounts and more. I compared it with other bookkeeping software and Wave is the best because it's free and does the same things as other platforms but more. I will mainly be using this in my business to keep track of taxes and file it accordingly.

Cons

There are no cons for me for this software as I recently started using it. I think the only thing they should do is continuously adding more features and updates.

Reasons for choosing Wave Payroll

Simply because it was free and has everything I need in it to manage and keep track of my small business.

Samantha

May 2022

No customization options and no real-person customer-support

I wish we had gone with a different system, and I will be looking for options that provide better support. At least with most companies you can escalate up to a supervisor who can give you some greater support (versus just the generic responses). But with Wave, the supervisor [SENSITIVE CONTENT] was the least helpful person. They should be more upfront that you can't speak with a person, you'll largely just be chatting with robots.

Pros

The online interface works well as long as you don't ever need to customize anything (e.g., an employee suddenly needs to take more time off than they have paid vacation days).

Cons

The worse feature is the lack of customer support. You can chat with a robot, and then be transferred to a "person" who will just send you to articles that do not address your issue. There's no phone number or email address to get direct support. Moreover, while they say they will look into your issue and follow-up, they just email you the same articles they did in chat. So you can never get actual support for your issue. Additionally, the more these issues came up, the less I trusted the system to be doing our tax filings correctly. I thought being a small business with only 2 employees that this software would work for us, but I see that even if 2 employees issues arise that require support so it's not a good fit for us.

Price

Aisha

I have been using WaveApp For 2 years

Pros

I absolutely love Waveapp. It is easy to use to manage my client invoices, estimates, employee payroll, and track business expenses.

Cons

The only drawback is waiting several days for funds to be transferred to your bank account. When my clients make a payment, I get a notification that I have been paid, however, those funds take a few days before they actually show up in my bank. It would be great if Waveapp was a bank as well.

Kianoosh

Great product till you need to contact support!

good till you need support

Pros

I've been a customer since 2017 for our tech company. Generally this is a great software. But their support is just plain horrible. They don't have a number you can call. Their Help Center is mediocre at best and their live agents are accessible that provides inaccurate time estimates. For example, it told me 6 mins to talk to someone. It's been 45 mins and no progress. Also, I've had to email them 3 times regarding this issue in the past 7 days and no response so far.

Cons

Support is simply not there. No phone number to dial. Their bot is decent but has crapped out on me a few times. Their agents are poorly educated.

Oladipo

Industry: Broadcast Media

Payroll Review

On a general note, the wave payroll dashboard always give a quick caption of all payroll related information. The application is one of the best.

Pros

Wave payroll is a software used by small/medium scale business owners to pay the wages of their workers or contractors. It has been simplified to a level that it saves time and money while one will still access high quality payroll facilities. I am very comfortable with wave payroll because it connects to other wave application like wave accounting but not to third party. It is easy to understand and easy to manage income and expenses.

Cons

It is not completely free. It is not easily accessible I.e wave payroll don't have an app that work on Andriod and IOS devices. It cannot be accessed without adequate internet connections.

Charles

March 2022

Calculation errors and poor support.

Pros

Software was easy to setup and seemed to work fine until there was an issue. Then they dropped the ball.

Cons

The errors that Wave Payroll makes in calculations is unacceptable.

Kamilah

Industry: Law Practice

I love Wave

Pros

I love Wave! It is awesome. The payroll feature is easy to use and the transaction tagging is very easy.

Cons

I do not have very many complaints if any at all. The support staff responds very quickly to any issues or concerns that a user may have.

Jenifer

Industry: Maritime

Wave Payroll

Have great success at accounting, banking and my payroll just got easier. I can print reports. Very Happy. Wave On

Pros

Its Free and very easy to use. Many options.

Cons

Haven't found any issues with the software

Good but could be better, still new

Pros

They are a good value for the service, but they don't have full service payroll in many states yet and paying taxes on your own can be tough

Cons

They don't have full services payroll, and support is slow to respond. I imagine this will get better over time.

Lawrence

Industry: Environmental Services

Nice on the eyes, poor on performance

You get what you pay for. Great for when things were super, super simple, but at 11 employees, I'm ready to ditch for something that can really help us when we really need it to just work. Wave doesn't.

Pros

User-facing pages are nice looking, invoices and other docs look professional.

Cons

Customer service is mainly by chatting with a bot. They have no help pages. The bot is generally useless and we have to eventually email for support. They have no phone support at all. Off-boarding a dismissed employee makes it look as if they have not thought through the process. Beneath this all the time is the constant annoyance with how long every operation takes. Their site is noticeable slow compared to many others, and for just about everything.

Juan Carlos

Simple and easy to use as their name!

We appreciate the web based option for sheets to allow our remote workforce to access timecards, time off requests, and pay stubs from their locations

Pros

No longer have to fill out and turn in paper time sheets. Its very easy to use for all level employees.

Cons

At the end of every week it takes about 6 hours to punch in and key all missed punches from employees. But I do recommend the use of this software.

Holly

Love this software!

Pros

I have been using this for payroll and book keeping for the last several years. It is super easy to use and has almost all the features I need. I create T4s on it and can invoice clients!

Cons

I wish it could allow staff access to enter their own hours then I could approve them. This feature would make a big difference!

Geoff

The BEST, most simple accounting software

With wave accounting I am able to easily create invoices and bills. I am able to effortlessly pay contractors & employees with direct deposit.

Pros

Ease of use, customer service, price, features & design.

Cons

Some solutions require a work around that is not intuitive.

Love Wave App!

Pros

It's a great software for billing and invoicing clients, vendors, employees, and independent contractors. I love the ability to send the invoices via email and getting paid within the system. It's simply, easy to use and have a variety of features including, connecting your financial institution to the app for payment, saving and exporting data and interface is very clean.

Cons

The mobile interface does not work very well. The app sometimes crashes. Other than that, there no other cons with the software.

Tonya

No More Payroll Headaches

This software has saved me a ton of time and frustration. When I have questuins they respnd quickly to help me out.

Pros

This sodtware makes it simple to do payroll for my company. The handle all of the taxes and scheduling of payroll liability payments. I love that they automatically fill out my employee tax forms.

Cons

The only thing I don’t like is that I can’t set up payroll to run automatically each week. You need to run payroll and approve it. My employees are salary so the pay is the same each week.

Rebecca

Terrible service at a great price

The system was challenging to learn but much better than Quickbooks. I paid 3 years of accounting support ($229 each) to figure out how straighten out my books because I didn't understand how to use their system. It was a technical issue.

Pros

The ease of setting up, having payroll calculated & making payments.

Cons

Customer service -- by far the worst part of WAVE. Email or chat is done by people who don't seem to know the answers. They refer to someone else & you have to wait for an email reply. Though they handle my payroll for $41/month (they raised the price), they wouldn't handle the COVID calculations or refund requests. After back & forth emails, they agreed to request handle it. I saw the COVID tax numbers change in the online records, but I don't know if they submitted a refund request. Despite several email inquiries, I can't get a response as to if they are applying for the refund or not. And you cannot talk to anyone.

Atul

Time used: Free Trial

August 2015

Ideal for Small Business

We have been using Payroll by Wave for quite a few years now and are very happy with it. We are one of the top immigration law firms based in Pittsburgh, PA and our mission is to provide affordable experienced representation and personal case handling to cost-conscious clients and businesses. We have very caring and passionate employees that help us achieve our mission. Payroll by Wave is the perfect solution for our small business needs for running payroll and managing vacation time. It is very easy to use with a very well designed and intuitive user interface. It guides you through the setup process if you are a new user. It has several features such as Reminders, Payroll Review, Direct Deposit, Tax Reporting and Tax filing (we do not use the tax filing feature since we already had a process in place before it was introduced). It is integrated into the Wave accounting platform (we use some other Wave apps as well) and has support for both full-time and part-time employees. Signing up new employees is straightforward. The Wave Team provides excellent customer service and responds to questions / requests in reasonable time. They are also open to collaborating with their clients to get feedback and make the solution better.

Rita

I wish I found about this sooner

Pros

This is the best place to organize payments, finances, and payroll. Seriously! It's so easy to setup and a breeze to use. I feel hugged everytime I use wave. They added an Accounting area that it's amazing. I can't say enough how much I love this program. They integrate with paypal, your bank account, etsy! You can create your own invoice template with your logo and colors for free!

Cons

I can't find anything in waves that make me want to find another service. There are no cons, they keep adding new features.

Barbara

Good until you Deactivate

We cancelled our subscription because the system cannot process QC payroll. Now we have an outstanding balance that we can't pay unless we reactivate... ok... reactivated.... now it won't show us the balance due. The customer service is of ZERO assistance. This is a platform issue that seriously needs to be fixed. FAIL. Based on this alone, I would not recommend.... it's been a 2 mth nightmare.

Pros

The platform is easy to use... regarding payroll only.

Cons

Bit of a useless system when it can't complete all of Canada payroll. QC not accepted.

Cheap

Reasons for switching to Wave Payroll

We got locked out.

Shannon

Industry: Veterinary

Great product

I love that it is easy to use and figure out. Costumer service is helpful. Very affordable. Perfect for my small business.

Pros

Easy to use. Spells out taxes. Simple. Affordable

Cons

Not much. Really good product. I love the payroll feature too much to have a con.

Justin

Time used: Free Trial

August 2015

Easy to use but feature rich bookkeeping and payroll for small business

Previously I had QuickBooks online. They were ok, but they cost me about five times the price, and their system has certain traditional accounting options that are way too much for me. Wave does great simple accounting at a really cheap price. I recommend it for any small business owner who needs something they can handle on their own without hiring their own accountant. The only reason I didn't give Customer Service 5 stars is because these folks are located in the eastern time zone and I'm in Hawaii, so I basically never got to talk to them when I paid extra for the phone support because they yabba-dabba-do on home at 5pm EST -- pretty classic, old fashioned business hours. Now I'm back on e-mail support and it's fine -- cheaper anyway. Phone or e-mail, the support staff are all genuine and work with you on a sincere one-to-one basis... no BS'ing or shining people on. Good people; focused, and responsible.

One of my favorite pieces of Wave Apps!

Pros

The Payroll section of Wave is wonderful. After getting it setup it only takes minutes to enter in timesheets and run it.

Very Intuitive and Easy to Use Payroll Software

Pros

Payroll by Wave is very easy to use, very intuitive, and it's great that it sent payroll reminders and showed you the total amount to withdraw. Direct deposit is another handy feature!

Cons

No complaints at all! I only had good experiences with Payroll by Wave!

4.12/5 out of 57 reviews