• Pros

• "The product is very user friendly. Great customer support that is very fast and friendly. I would recommend this product whole heartedly."

• "easy to order, easy to download, easy to input information, easy to create more needs. and easy to keep safe."

• "PRACTICAL . easy to use... user friendly,, simple interface, looks friendly on the eye,, easy to backup"

• Cons

• "Very basic layout and the somewhat clunky workflow often gives me headaches, but they are applying updates fairly regularly that fix a functional problem every few weeks."

• "Nothing really. I do my accounting in quickbooks, so the fact they won't talk to eachother is a little frustrating, but not really anything to complain about."

• "nothing really, overall my personal opinion, I think the interface could use a little tweaking to make it even better, nothing major, just little details, mostly what I call efficiency tweaks"

Browse Payroll Mate Reviews

Andrew from Walmart

PayrollMate

This software has made my life so much easier!

Pros

Ability to run payroll see PTO hours and print checks in one fell swoop

Cons

Sometimes is a little laggy early in the am

Juli from Heart of Minnesota Animal Shelter

Industry: Veterinary

Saves Time and Reduces Errors

I've used Payroll Mate for about 8 years. I pay between 8 and 12 part-time employees every two weeks and it makes the payroll processing go very smoothly. Because our payrolls are very basic with no benefits, I don't use nearly all the features available. But it is a huge time savings to use Payroll Mate over the Excel-based system I used to use, and the margin for error is greatly reduced since I only have to enter the hours once and not worry about entering all the payroll information in several places for summarizing for taxes. Now when it comes time to pay or file the payroll taxes, it's all in the system. I double-check the numbers, and send the payments and tax forms off with just a few clicks. Although I don't use the W-2 preparation feature, Payroll Mate makes filing W-2s easy because all the W-2 information can be easily printed out for entering into the IRS's Business Services Online system. My frustration level with payroll and W-2s was greatly reduced once I started using Payroll Mate.

Pros

Easy to use with features our organization can grow into. Very easy to figure out. Inexpensive. I'm a volunteer for this organization, so it's great to have an affordable option that they agree to supply me with every year to save my time and sanity.

Cons

I like using the keyboard to maneuver rather than the mouse. There's a lot of tabbing to get around the "Check Details" screen by using the keyboard, so I end up using the mouse a lot. I would like the "OK" button on the "Check Details" screen to be always "at the ready" so if I'm done entering my paycheck information, I can just hit the "Enter" key and save the check information. That's the only feature I'd really like to see.

IFEANYI from Horwath Dafinone

Outlook is also of importance.

The cost of serving more than one business site is expensive.

Pros

It has robust functionality that comes with the default makeup,making it easy to setup and implement

Cons

The interface looks too basic that makes it hard to navigate. It is also quite expensive for the fish it fries.

Dr Wes from Dr Wes Wheadon, Optometrist

This one is the Best Payroll Program I've Ever Used. (period)

I used Quick payroll for many years until they got crazy complicated and expensive. The search for a new simplistic and easy program got me to Payroll Mate 5 years ago. Installed it, set up my company, put in my state and fed info and the info for each employee. BANG started writing checks. I eliminated payroll company fees, fees for my accountant and book keeper, inaccuracies, and I was able to go in and edit check and employee info and numbers as necessary. It keeps track of not only payroll but vacation time, bonuses, insurance reimbursements, and gives easy to call up summaries of payroll for individuals, and for the company, and quarterly and year end stuff for the accountant. Bang-what a concept! Simple, easy, complete, cost saving, and they have great customer service, and on the phone help. No tech support where everything you ask is repeated several times before you get an answer that takes an hour and doesn't solve your problem! So don't get angry cause you are frustrated with things in your life that aren't working and take it out on your software. Pay attention to the tutorial, and if you get stuck, stay calm, call the company and they will get you going with a smile. Have a great year!

Pros

Everything is great!

Cons

No Cons

Alyssa from Fit & Kick

So Easy and Straightforward

Because individual packages for what you need, I wasn't forced into services I dont need and can make work on my own. That was really wonderful. We are a simple company https://www.fitandkick.com/

Pros

It is super easy to use. I am not a tax specialist or an accountant, and I got this thing set up and ready to go in an hour. I run a martial arts school and needed an inexpensive and easy way to make sure my employees got their W-2s and my 941 and 940 taxes were all in order . I hand write all the checks from my banks check book and literally just use the software and print statements for employees when they need them. Nothing complicated about it at all.

Cons

Shawn from Your Message Center, Inc.

Consistently excellent

I have been in business since 1993, and all that time I did payroll by hand. In 2014 I decided to check on using a program. I looked at several different ones and decided I liked the layout for Payroll Mate. Have been using it ever since. It was easy to get started and programming in the company and employee information was a snap. Updating each year is also no problem. Just order and when the email comes in, you're good to go. Would recommend to any small business.

Pros

Ease of use, input employee information is easy to understand, changes not hard.

Cons

My insurance does an audit in May so I have to pull reports for May-December of one year and then Jan-April of the next year and add the figures together. Would be nice if the years could mesh.

Michael from Z Group Tax & Bookkeeping

MOST EASY TO USE AND FUNCTIONAL W-2 AND PAYROLL PROGRAMS IN THE MARKET.

I have used Payroll Mate and W-2 Mate programs for several years. These programs in conjunction with fabulous customer support, Lisa, in particular, among others, have enabled my small one horse operation to blossom into a medium size bookkeeping and tax service. I am NOT computer savvy; therefore, Payroll Mate and W-2 Mate have to be on a very low IT level for old guys like me. I turned 69 just a few days ago and never dreamed that my tax payroll business could be so easy to grow. THANK YOU GUYS AT REAL TAX TOOL!!!

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

No Cons.

Janet from All Seasons

Payroll Mate makes payroll almost easy.

Pros

Payroll Mate is so easy to use. It is easy to set up. The reports are thorough. It is pretty much a no-frills program which makes it less complicated than some. There is a yearly fee - which gives you an entirely new program - but the transition is painless. The data from the previous year automatically transfers over so no new data input. The direct deposit function is great and easy to use too.

Cons

There are a few little things that I wish the software did. One of them is the ability to email check stubs to all of the employees at once when you are using direct deposit. Having to either print check stubs and distribute them or save each stub as a separate .pdf and email them individually kind of defeats the purpose of direct deposit.

Mantas from Klevas Consulting Limited

Using it on a weekly basis producing payslips

Pros

Have lot of functionalities and customised payslips

Cons

Can be quite costly compared to other rivals

Harvey from Fisher Tax Services LLC

Great Product to use to run payroll

It is a great simple solution if you don't want to run direct deposit.

Pros

I liked the payroll software which I could download to my desktop. It was easy to setup and enter all the employees names of the client I was working on. Running the weekly payroll was easy.

Cons

Its hard to do direct deposit since you have to use your bank, importing the data into software was not an option so I had to manually enter it.

Alvaro from Montano tax & Accounting

great software. practical to use. I would like to see added feautures "Departments" and self mailer

I am able to offer payroll service

Pros

Cons

limited in robust features; I am a CPA office providing service to many clients> some of them are restaurants with multiple locations. I need to have the ability to print reports by DEPARTMENT; also, I would like to professionalize my service and add a "self mailer machine" to my process. This means that I need to be able to custom format the printing in order to print checks in this machine

Brenda from J & B Waste Applications, Inc

Wonderful software product

I have been using Payroll Mate for a few years in my business and other firms that I do payroll and 1099's for. What a wonderful product. The easiness of using the product is the best I have found. I have only had to call support a couple of times over this course of time and found them to be wonderful and of course get me up and running quickly. I would highly recommend to use this product. I wish more software would run this easy and accurately. A plus to this - just your annual fee and your done. No monthly fees to use their software. Highly recommend this product to businesses that have the responsibility of payroll. I give them an A+++.

Pros

No monthly fees, easiness of use. Even a lay person can learn this.

Cons

I have found that bringing it into Quickbooks is a little tricky. Since I'm experienced in payroll I just bring it into my Quickbooks ledger manual and it works great.

Darlene from All Care Services, LLC

Best option available

Payroll Mate is a wonderful option for processing payroll. Peachtree and QuickBooks are outrageously expensive and they force you to purchase ongoing supports when you do not need all of the supports they are making you purchase. Payroll Mate does not do that. You purchase what you need to use. The only step extra that I have to complete creates a general journal entry to transfer to my chart of accounts in my accounting software. One suggestion is to make so we can delete the income and tax categories that we do not use. Some of them are state specific and I do not live in your state. I do appreciate being able to build my own income and tax categories. I like to delete anything that is not in use to alleviate confusion.

Pros

It is not dependent upon a monthly package charge and it isn't expensive.

Cons

That you can't delete the pre-loaded income and tax categories that are not needed.

PEDRO from TITITAX ACCOUNTING SERVICE

Great tool and great price

easy payroll preparation and manage more clients.

Pros

Easy to use and good reports for clients information. Also easy to pay 941 and 940 tax returns. In general this is a great payroll software that satisfy small business needs

Cons

have to be purchases every instead of paying a fee for updating the current software and version..jut need to add more years to the current calendar.

Pam from First Rate Accounting Service

Payroll Mate

We have used the Payroll Mate software since 2009. It is very user friendly, the customer support is great to work with, it is easy to create the needed forms and easy to submit the required information. We highly recommend the Payroll Mate Software.

Pros

It is user friendly.

Cons

The toolbar does not always stay visible. When you click on edit it may be the wrong edit button if you are not paying attention.

Jay from Lafayette Press Inc

Industry: Graphic Design

Payroll Mate-best value for the price

this product does the job, does payroll for my small company, nice and easy and easy to get tax liability reports etc. and I can export the data and import it into Sage accounting, now I dont have to pay (thats Sage's cost with payroll included) a year to Sage to keep updating my payroll and their accounting software, since Sage offers really nothing of value each year in their accounting software the cost outlay to them is almost pure payroll expense. Payroll Mate is completely worth the cost. I plan to stick with it for the long haul!

Pros

very cost effective, and simply works, easy to use and update each year

Blanca from Flores Administration Solutions

Efficiently and Conveniently

I consider this tool as an asset to my business and it covers all of my business needs, I recommend this tool to business colleagues and I definitely is an excellent easy to use tool. goes by the name real tax tool.

Pros

Karen from Smith & Brooker, P.C.

My Payroll Mate Experience

When our previous payroll software company quit doing business, I felt a little lost. I wasn't sure at first how to go about finding another company. It is hard to know when looking at something on the internet how reliable the company is, how accurate the software is, and how dependable the service and support will be. I finally was able to research three different companies and quickly settled on Payroll Mate. It was easy to use and easy to understand. My initial questions concerning setup, etc., were answered quickly and politely. The software is also easy to upgrade each year. Best of all, I haven't had any accounting problems due to the software that would anger the IRS! I will continue to use Payroll Mate in future years and would recommend their company to others.

Robert from Craft IT

Great Buy for the Buck

We have used this program for 4 years the ease of use the quality of the program makes it a great buy for the buck We will purchase this program year after year because of the quality.

Pros

Ease of Use Price and Quality

Cons

None

Selena from Star Business & Tax Services

Excelent product at a great price

Pros

Cons

Would like to be able to pay employees across multiple states. We have found a way to pay the same employee for multiple states, but we do have to do extra calculations for our 941s at the end of the quarter.

Dawn from Lincoln Church of Christ

Great Software

I've been using Payroll Mate for a little over five years now. The program is very easy to use and seems to be ideal for a small company (church). I use it strictly for payroll and paying payroll taxes. They are constantly updating for ease and convenience in use. You can't beat that for the money.

Pros

It is user friendly. I like being able to move easily from employee to employee and from different forms or reports with just a click or two.

Cons

When entering dates for items, I have to start at January and move to the correct date. It would be easier if I could enter the date without starting back at January.

PAYROLL PROGRAM EVEN DUMMIES CAN LEARN AND USE VERY QUICKLY.

HAVING PAYROLL MATE HAS ALLOWED OUR BUSINESS, WHICH WAS 100% TAX ANALYSIS AND PREPARATION SINCE 1974 TO DOUBLE OUR CUSTOMER BASE BY PROVIDING PAYROLL SERVICES FOR MANY OF OUR CUSTOMERS WHO YEARLY ASKED US FOR THIS SERVICE. SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS MANY YEARS AGO.

Pros

EASE OF USE, SIMPLICITY IN EACH STEP AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE CONVENIENCE OD JUST CALLING IN FOR HELP AS OFTEN AS NECESSARY. THE HOME OFFICE PERSONNEL ARE SO FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL. THEY MAKE ONE FEEL AS IF THEY ARE TALKING TO A FRIEND.

Cons

THERE IS NOTHING THAT I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT PAYROLL MATE.

Barbara from Cornerstone Baptist Church

Very easy to use.

Pros

For a small church this works perfectly. Everything we need to keep up with 4-5 people. With option one everything for federal reporting.

Leesa from St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church

Easy and quick to use.

Pros

All tax related figures in one place. Easy to generate reports. Tax withholding amounts automatically done.

Cons

I can not coordinate the payroll check numbers with the check numbers I use in my check printing program. I use Shepherd's Staff and because we have so few employees I don't do an import I just use the figures Payroll Mate generates. As a church we do not do any withholding for our Pastor so when I generate the Quarterly Federal Tax deposit I have to edit the 941 form to include his wages.

Dan from Logos & More

Simple to use program.

I was looking for something to use in place of the Quickbooks Payroll. This is the answer! You can dump everything right into QB, if you can figure out how. With renaming the accounts and all that it's just easier to edit the checks before printing for the taxes. If we had more employees where it would take longer I'd probably try harder but for now it works for me!

Pros

Simple to use, effective.

Cons

Defaults to showing all employees instead of just active ones. I don't need to pay inactive employees, why do they have to show up on my payee list?

Michelle from Laser Line, Inc.

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

Great Software

When I was looking for a better Payroll software, I came across payroll mate. I needed something that I could use along with my banks website to offer my employees direct deposit Payroll Mate does just that. It is simple and extremely easy to use. I have not had any problems and we have been using the software since 2013. We currently have 40 employees and the payroll process from entering information into Payroll Mate to importing into my software takes me about 1.5 hours.

Pros

It is simple and easy to use.

Cons

I do not know that I really have any dislikes.

Josh from Sugar Bush Supplies

Simple, but gets the job done

Pros

The most important thing about this program is that it works. I have used a few other payroll programs in the past that do calculations incorrectly or create reports that contradict each other, but this program does everything the way it is supposed to.

Karen from Hamer Nicker Enterprises

Payroll Mate Great

I have been using Payroll Mate for 7 years and find it an easy useful tool. In my business it would be an even better tool if there were an option to separate out job costs. For example: I am remodeling homes at 3 locations during the current pay period. It would be so helpful in my cost breakdown and billing to have information at my fingertips what each employee costs at each location.

Pros

It is so simple to figure out how to use the program.

Cons

There is not an option to separate employee costs by "job" or "location"

Makes doing payroll much less of a headache!

Pros

There has never been a time where processing payroll was a joy to do, and bad software can make that 1000% worse. This software though actually has made the whole process a lot less painful. Payroll is still not something I look forward to but it's definitely more bearable. - ease of use is 10/10, intuitive design and easy installation - data transfers over from year to year seamlessly - Direct Deposit!

Cons

Integrating data into Quickbooks can be a little difficult however, I mostly blame QB for this.

Christine from The Bottom Line LLC

Payroll Mate Review

I have enjoyed using Payroll Mate software for several years now. I use it for several small clients and it is a terrific program at a great value.

Pros

It is very easy to use and the reports are clear and concise.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that I do not like.

Dawn from Kickit Vapors Inc.

Great Payroll Product

As a bookkeeper and payroll specialist I recommend this product to any business employing one to hundreds of employees for in-house payroll. The products available for end-of-year reporting are accurate and easy to use. Customer service is courteous and helpful.

Pros

Easy to use. Has all the reports available for monthy, quarterly and annual reports.

Cons

Would prefer employees names were listed alphabetically by last name.

Steve from Growing Family Birth Center

Payroll Mate Software

I have used this software for 4 years now,It never fails to deliver. It is easy to use and is quick and simple. For someone who owns a small business it simply can't be beat.S

Pros

Quick , simple, easy to use.

Cons

It could use a category for split wages. EX- an employee that works two jobs for our company but at 2 different wages. As it is I now have to cut her 2 checks.

Delores from Law Office of Nick Olguin

Industry: Law Practice

Easiest most effective Payroll Software I have ever used!

I have used various payroll software programs and this software is by far the best. I have been renewing for 3 years running. I do payroll for 4 companies and it does the job well!

Pros

User friendly. Easy Navigation and all inclusive.

Cons

If you want to change the date on the check, even via edit, you can't change it so you have to delete it and build a new check.

David from David Apple Ltd

My experience with Payroll Mate

I use the program biweekly for the maintenance men and management personnel of a 250 unit homeowner association. The program is very easy to use. The only improvement I would like to see is inputting payroll. Now you input one, go back to the main screen and repeat. A pain. Why not before going back to the main screen there is an option to input payroll for another employee. Would be a lot quicker.

Integration

the experience is awesome. It can generate payroll reports, flexible in that it can calculate net pay monthly, semi monthly and even weekly for both casual and permanent employees.

Pros

This software is the best so far in the handling payroll needs. one is able to export payroll details t o other accounting softwares like sage 300, calculate all employee deductions and benefits then use this data to prepare final financial statements with ease. This is a unique feature which lacks in many softwares . I also like its interface which is so simple and user friendly.

Cons

It has so many features which may not be fully utilised.

Mary from Faith Lutheran Church

Payroll Mate Review

I have used Payroll Mate for several years and have found it to be very easy to use. The software is compatible with my database, Shepherd Staff. Payroll Mate makes payroll much easier than having to manually calculate pay and is always up-to-date. It handles the different payroll scenarios for religious organizations.

Pros

Ease of use. Accurate reports. 941 preparation.

Cons

No cons.

Glenn from Rock Cut Tax & Bookkeeping Svc.

Payroll Mate

I'm the Treasurer for our Union, and also do the books for a Tavern. I have been using Payroll Mate for 7 years, and just love it. It gives me all the reports that I need to have weekly, Monthly, and end of year reports. I have recommended this program to other Union Treasurers, and they are all happy with it to.

Pros

Very easy to learn how to use.

Cons

None

Betty from Pitts Chapel UMC

Industry: Philanthropy

Great program for the money

I contacted customer service about the print problem, but no help.

Pros

Handles payroll easily and makes printing tax forms without the dread. So easy to get set up and going.

Cons

Doesn't print checks like expected. I'm using checks from Payroll Mate and was told they would print correctly.

Rachel from L5

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Easy solution for payroll

Pros

Payroll Mate is great because you don't have to attach banking information to use it. They have amazing customer support through chat.

Cons

You can't call and talk to support (though they are super responsive through chat)

Jodie from University of Buffalo

Solid product for the novice

Small personal services corporation with 1 employee. I am not a bookkeeper by trade. This software has UP front set up times which took me about an hour to figure out and input. After set up- I run my monthly payroll by get this.... entering hours worked!!!! Presto. Then I just need to upload tax payments to my state and EFTPS and write a check for a 401k contribution. This is not an invoice system. This does not link to bank accounts. This simply calculates out your payroll correctly. I tried a Quicken program in the past and it was too difficult. Never balanced out right and always had problems. Payroll Mate is simple! My accountant turned me onto it!

Pros

Ease of use

Cons

It won't let me correct an error after I hit enter....

Tammy from H&R Block

very good experience

ease of use

Pros

easy of use for Federal taxes and checks. The ability to do direct deposit and still print check stubs for the employees.

Cons

The fact that the state of Michigan taxes are not supported. It would much easier to pay my payroll taxes through the program.

Joelle from Paradigm Auto

Full functioning payroll with a great price

Pros

The software is so easy to use and is full functioning. We are a small business and have no problems using this software.

Cons

I do have to integrate the information into Quickbooks, which is time consuming. If it were a smoother process I would be ecstatic.

DENNIS from BIAS ACCOUNTING & TAX

Excellent for general payroll services

Pros

Ease of input of information and ability to edit payroll items. Reports are easy to read and understand.

Cons

Unable to input or track items like dependant care deductions or employee benefits. These items are becoming important to todays clients.

shannon from Shannon M Modafferi CPA

I have had no problems with the program.

Pros

The program is very easy to use. I have had no problems with it. The reports are easy to use. I would recommend the program.

Cons

A feature needs to be added for the family medical leave act for NYS. Besides that I have had no problems.

Robin from Robin Johnson CPA LLC

Payroll Mate

I've been using Payroll Mate for about four years now. For one fixed price you can run as many company payrolls as you want. You can add features like W2 reporting, direct deposit etc. It's a very good product for the price.

Pros

The price is great.

Cons

It's not very modern. Not cloud based.

Frances from Willis & Associates Printing

Industry: Printing

Been using the program for 5 years. So easy to learn and my CPA really likes the reports.

It totally eliminate worrying about errors. The figures are always correct.

Pros

Easy to use and can start out each new year with little time involved. I send my weekly payroll journal to our CPA in pdf form and they commented it just what they need.

Don from Donald E Bahash PA

Best Payroll Software for my Small Business - Easy to Use!

I have used this software for 5 years and can say it is very easy to use. The forms & reports are perfect for what I need. The interface is very intuitive for my business. I can easily process payroll checks, make bank deposits, file quarterly Form 941s and annual Form 940. I looked around at different options and this is the most cost effective and easy product I could find. I could be happier with the product and the support!

Pros

Great interface, easy to setup, easy to process payroll and keep ahead of the required quarterly and annual filings for my business.

Cons

I do not have a issue or dislike for any piece of this software.

Christina from Royal Constructors, Inc.

Excellent Payroll Program

Pros

I have used this program for over 3 years now and love it! It simplified my payroll and made my book keeping for payroll so efficient. My accountant loves the reports which I provide him. Excellent support staff to!!

Jim from New Horizons Home Healthcare

Just began using this software program

The usual expected benefits except for a lengthier process time

Pros

I like the fact that it is not an internet based process. This offers more company privacy for employee information, (names, addresses, SSN's) pay rates and other data.

Cons

In their list of features PM makes it sound as if each feature was included as they normally are in other payroll programs. But they are add-ons that require additional purchase. Kind of nickel and dimeing customers. But their worse feature is the requirement of processing one employee then returning to the screen to select the next employee. With 90 employees this is a very time consuming task. Surely with the technology PM has they could improve this feature.

Response from Real Business Solutions

Replied August 2017

Hi Jim, thank you for taking the time to submit your review. To pay multiple employees at the same time (instead of one employee at a time), please navigate to the ¿Employees¿ screen and from the top toolbar click the ¿Pay Multiple Employees¿ button.

James from James Garrett Tax Services

Export to Quickbooks

The only issue I have is the export to Quickbooks for my clients. I have never been able to get it to do what it claims it will do, the video tutorials are not very helpful with this, and the customer service doesn't know either.

Pros

It is simple to use.

Cons

Quickbooks export