All QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

Reliable and accurate

Peter

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2023

Easy to deploy payroll system for any sized organization

Easy to use, easy to set up and get going

PROS

The ease of importing hours, processing payroll (including through direct deposit), keep track of taxes, and processing annual W2s.

CONS

It was a bit more expensive than we would have liked to pay given that we are a small nonprofit.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Full range of use offerings

Vicki

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed November 2019

Payroll Service for Small Offices

I have not had any problems with quickbooks payroll at all. I would recommend this service to other businesses. I also found them to be cheaper that the other payroll companies out in the market.

PROS

This software is very easy to use. Has all of the options we need for tracking deductions, types of pay, vacation accruals, 401K, flexplan deductions, etc. Online check stubs for the employees. They can just log on and get a copy of their paycheck. They automatically receive an email when the check is ready to review. Easy data entry. Quickbooks takes care of all of the Federal and state filing forms and payments. If you use Quickbooks for your business you can set it up to automatically transfer the payroll to your general ledger. Saves time and prevents errors.

CONS

If you don't start out using this software with your quickbooks when you first implement - you are not able to keep your payroll history. If you need to convert from one software to another - I would recommend doing it at the time of your physical year.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Because I use quickbooks for all other accounting functions and I know that they have a good reputation.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Their prices was getting a little high and it was cheaper to go with Quickbooks payroll

Cody

Construction, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Very cheap and user friendly

Incredibly easy to use and run. But once you have an issue it may be impossible to fix.

PROS

The price. I had an issue with QB payroll and considered other options. Most were 10x more expensive.

CONS

The help desk. Any time I have an issue and contact the help desk, it takes over an hour of them "researching" before the answer is usually, "we can't do that." or "that's just how it works." I once had a major issue that required a special department, but every time I called in and asked for that department, I was forced to explain my entire situation and wait an hour for that person to try to fix it, even though I knew they couldn't, before the person would escalate.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Price. The other companies offer many features we would never use, and as a result are far more expensive. One companies quote cost the same for a month that Quickbooks costs us for a year.

Kimberly

Accounting, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2020

Quickbooks Payroll don't be fooled

If you have a simple payroll this is not a terrible product. If you have employees in multiple states, I would not recommend.

PROS

The integration with Quickbooks online was a key factor. It is also very easy to use once the setup is complete.

CONS

The customer service is non-existent. I have a client that uses the full service payroll, and if there is an error where Quickbooks is at fault, it is impossible to ever get them to pay for the error, they will admit the responsibility, but they will not pay for the responsibility. The customer service is tiered so you never speak to a decision maker even when the error is a significant dollar amount. I had this issue in two cases. 1. Quickbooks processed a duplicate payroll costing my client $15,000+ and despite full documentation that they were responsible, they would not pay for the error. 2. I set up a new client on full service payroll with employees in the state of Nevada. QB did not support filing one of the taxes required for the state. They did not disclose this and admitted that they did not disclose at the beginning nor did they prompt the client to file the return when it came due. Quickbooks did take responsibility for the error by admitting it, but they would not take responsibility for the taxes and penalties.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Price and integration with accounting software.

Darcy

Construction, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2024

QuickBooks Payroll

PROS

We use QuickBooks Payroll to pay all our employees. we are able to integrate their hours

CONS

sometimes the time and position gets messed up and we have to manually fix it.

Ruben

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2020

Customer Service

Quickbooks Payroll has been easy to use. We just recently started using Quickbooks for payroll. If I would have known how easy it was, I would have switched along time ago. I do not like change much, so if it works why switch. Quickbooks has been working well for our business.

PROS

The software is extremely user friendly. I love the simplicity of it. And When I have an issue chatting online instantly is amazing. Today I had an issue with our address since we moved our office and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing. He was genuine in asking how my day was and very understanding and friendly. He took care of my issue and made sure it would not come up again.

CONS

In the 5 years that we have been with quickbooks there is really nothing bad I can say about the software. It has been great for our business.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Pricing and ease of having everything together on one platform

Shannon

Restaurants, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2023

Works great! Syncs with QB.

Overall it's a strong product with all the features most people will need for their business. I used it for 2 restaurants and was very pleased with it. It's great to have all your finances in a single place.

PROS

I liked that it allowed me to keep my business finances in one place. It was easy to use and less expensive than a payroll company like ADP or paychex.

CONS

The accounts in my chart of accounts it setup would sometimes be confusing.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

At the time it made sense for my business to consolidate software into a single suite.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Cost and minimizes multiple softwares.

Samantha

Consumer Goods, 51-200 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Overall A Good Payroll Software for Small Businesses

PROS

Very easy to use for both the employer and employees. You can add different admin users along with changing access, if some admins don't need access to everything. It is very user friendly and walks you through step by step on each and every part of the payroll process. This is the first software I ever used when starting in the payroll department, and had 0% training on it. I was able to navigate my way through it with no help.

CONS

The direct deposit limit is what made me change payroll software. I could not pay all of my employees via direct deposit because of the limit they had on our account.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

The pricing and overall amount of features that you get for the money was amazing.

Real Estate, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2021

Quickbooks Assisted Payroll - Great for small businesses

Overall, it's been great for our company. As mentioned above, their customer service needs some help. Other than that, their payroll service has helped a tremendously, in keeping track of everything needed to comply to State and Federal filing and tax deadlines. I would recommended it as a tool to help ease the work for your payroll person in the office.

PROS

I like the ease of the payroll service. We have a small number of employees, yet prior to QuickBooks, sometimes quarterly payroll taxes were mis-calculated. With QuickBooks Assisted Payroll, we do not ever have to worry about sending in payments, as they are done for us automatically. W-2 are no longer a headache either, they are don't quickly and generated seamlessly.

CONS

When we do have issues, customer service is not to par. They stopped service many of their payroll services and when you do, you do get switched around a lot and many seem to not know the basics of payroll. - I wouldn't recommend their services if you need step by step help on processing your company payroll.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Not Applicable; we were manually doing payroll prior to QuickBooks Payroll.

Dawn

Automotive, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Love QuickBooks Payroll!

PROS

The ease of tracking employees time/pay/vacation and taxes all in one place.

CONS

There are really no issues I would say I have with this Program.

Accounting, 1 employee

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2023

Quickbooks Payroll

It's ok to use, not my favorite. I actually prefer using Gusto payroll.

PROS

I like that it seamlessly integrates with Quickbooks accounting software.

CONS

I don't like the additional step of remembering to pay payroll taxes. Not having them automatically paid leaves a client open to the Trust Fund Recovery Penalties.

Kim

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2023

QuickBooks Payroll

Does not satisfy our business needs however, at this time we have to use it to perform payroll, once we find a suitable product we will be cancelling our Quickbooks Payroll.

PROS

Direct deposit was easily setup. Adding a new employee was also easy to set up.

CONS

Hard to find things needed pertaining to payroll, when completing payroll it does not give an overview of what was inputted until after you submit it with out going back to completed screens.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

We used invoicing with Quickbooks online so we added the payroll module.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

We had to make the switch because of the bank collapse that Patriot used was seized by the Federal Government.

Bruce

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed May 2021

Do NOT get this service

For the major problems described above, I would not recommend this product to any small business. There are many very good payroll services that are more user friendly, customer orientated and WILLING TO HELP. These guys are the fat cat who could care less about you, your needs, your business. They act like they are doing you a favor for the chance of doing business with them. Good example - we had a problem on the last day of filing and? They closed their customer service. No help. Period. If you have to file late and get fined, too bad. They also screwed up the direct deposits. This is a unreliable service.

PROS

Basic payroll features all present to list employees info, etc. No problem there. Best feature is that it was embedded into our online Quick Books.

CONS

the WORST feature of this service which makes it a FAILURE for small business is the inflexibility and rigidity of deadlines. For example the last month of a QTR ends and next day you want to enter data, or even make a small change, for the previous week, or month or quarter - TOO BAD - you can not. Period. No compromise. No hope. Be clear this is ARBITRARY. But they could care less. The Federal filing deadline is 30 days after the end of Qtr. If there is a fixed deadline afterwhich you can not makes changes it should be that. But for some ego power trip reason (meaning no REAL reason) they make it the next day. If you don't keep up to that arbitrary schedule then FU. There is no customer service to help. You have to submit changes in writing and wait 2 weeks. Yes you are paying PREMIUM rate for this service but they don't care. Its like they are deliberately trying to screw you. Same with end of year. Most small business use month of Jan to get their books together. Sorry. By Jan 1 you must have all your payroll done. There is no possibility to enter any data after Dec 31....again....even tho the REAL deadline (Feds) in Jan 31. The small convenience of seeing this inside your online Quick Books is not worth the problems.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

we mistakenly thought QB Payroll would be as easy and user friendly as QB itself - IT IS NOT. It is a separate operation. Only overlap is you can access them both on same screen. Not worth it based on our direct small business experience. There are other better more flexible services willing to help you. these guys don't want to help. If you need help, tough luck.

Oil & Energy, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2020

QuickBooks Review

Personally I like quickbooks for the most part. My biggest issue is when I do call customer service for something I always get a different answer to the same question. It seems like most of the customer service reps don't actually know so they tell you what they think is right. It has been so frustrating that if [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] hadn't helped me I would have seriously considered another avenue then keeping quickbooks. I spoke with 6 different people about a corrections case and every time I was given conflicting information to the same question. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was the only rep that has really known what he was talking about and took the time to call me the next day and resolve the issue while also providing with the email to verify he was correct. He did a great job and i truly appreciate him. The res of your reps I have spoken to since March really don't seem to know and when I mention that they are providing conflicting info they blame it on "oh well sorry that person was mistaken." That is not acceptable.

PROS

The ability to run payroll efficiently, early and make edits before payday if need be. Also printing previous pay checks and payroll summary is very helpful

CONS

some of the reports are more complicated than they need to be and the credit card sync is not fluid. it creates too many duplicates when there is a business credit account with multiple cards on the same credit account.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Gusto was inconsistent and difficult to speak t anyone when there was an error

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2023

You Can't Do Any Better than Quickbooks When It Comes to Managing Your Payroll

Excellent. I owned my business for 25 years and that business was actually a beta tester for Quickbooks when they were first developing a business version of Quicken. If you don't need the cumbersomeness of a double-entry accounting software system, Quickbooks is the first option I always recommend to others.

PROS

It's easy to use and is excellent accounting software for small-to-mid-size businesses that need complete payroll services. The tax tables are regularly updated, the options to file your tax forms via your online accounts is the best.

CONS

The desktop version of Quickbooks is $500/year which is a fair amount of money.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

I used to manage the payroll for 25 employees back in the 1970s - it would take me an entire day to collect all the hours, calculate the withholding taxes using paper tax tables, and write all the checks. It would take another full day to get all of the quarterly payroll tax forms calculated and filed. When Quickbooks came out with Quickbooks Payroll in the 1980s, it streamlined all of these processes and procedures within a single system. It has since added direct deposit which is an enormous benefit for both the company and the employees and online reporting/deposit which again has been an enormous benefit.For a small-to-mid-size company, I don't think you can do any better than with Quickbooks Payroll.

Financial Services, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2019

Affordable, full service payroll

As an Intuit ProAdvisor, full service payroll is an added value to the reselling of a discounted QuickBooks Online account. As an additional service to my retainer clients, I can process their payroll on any interval they choose, and I can handle any type of compensation arrangement they have with their employees. The best part is, it only takes a few minutes and I can do it all effortlessly through the mobile app. And since the ability to pay independent contractors via direct deposit was introduced, my Bookkeeping clients love the fact that they no longer have to worry about writing out checks to their contractors. Filing Forms W-2 (for employees) and Forms 1099-MISC (for independent contractors) is a breeze at the end of the year and paying all their quarterly payroll taxes takes only a few minutes every three months.

PROS

Cost is much less expensive than any payroll services company. Direct deposit payments, employee portals, Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC filing, quarterly tax filing, electronic tax payments, direct deposit payments for independent contractors, powerful and customizable financial reporting, easy collection of Form W-9 information, reliable mobile app for process payroll from anywhere, support for multiple pay rates, benefits and withholding support, and more.

CONS

QuickBooks Payroll is available for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts. With QuickBooks Online, you are dependent on the availability of an Internet connection at the time you wish to process payroll.

Laura