What are QuickBooks Payroll users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using QuickBooks Payroll software through verified user reviews

• icon"This is a good product easy to use for advantage person."
  • icon"I like the ease of the payroll service. We have a small number of employees, yet prior to QuickBooks, sometimes quarterly payroll taxes were mis-calculated."
  • icon"Very great customer support for any help you need, their team has all the answers. Nathan was a great guy to work with."
  • icon"Quickbooks completely messed up my employees W2s. When contacted about the mistake they made, they told me it would take 45 days to fix it."
  • icon"Occasional server connection problem but does not hinder what I do."
  • icon"When we have tax questions or issues you can't speak to a person it has to be done by email to a department, this can be frustrating at times."

Browse all QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

• Have you used QuickBooks Payroll and would like to share your experience with others?

Alissa

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

Reliable and accurate

Leilani

February 2022

Quickbooks Review

I love using Quickbooks and will continue to utilize its software.

Pros

what i liked most about Quickbooks is that i can easily track and organize transactions, manage and organize expenses from anywhere, quickly reconcile your accounts and gain control of your cash flow.

Cons

Theres nothing i disliked about the software.

Reasons for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

because its pricing , its added features, ease of access and they have great customer support.

April 2022

QuickBooks Payroll a good choice for all but the smallest of small businesses

A reliable and accurate service providing pretty much everything the small business needs to generate a payroll and to remit taxes and tax filings in a timely basis. Good customer service. When new state taxes were introduced, it was sometimes difficult to get the calculation of taxes due correct and, in my case, QuickBooks was never able to successfully remit the Washington Family & Medical Leave tax.

Pros

A comprehensive online payroll service likely to meet the needs of most small businesses with good integration to other products and services sold by QuickBooks. Easy setup, good customer service. I liked being able to schedule so that payroll taxes were deducted from my corporate account close to the date the remittance was due to the taxing authority. Some payroll services deduct taxes from the bank account just after payroll is run, then hold it (presumably making interest on those funds) until the taxes are actually due. QuickBooks doesn't appear to do that.

Cons

A few too many steps are required to run a payroll with a few informational messages being displayed that I usually disregard (of the "are you sure you want to do that?" kind). Also, QuickBooks was never able to successfully report and remit certain of Washington's state taxes. QuickBooks' calculation of these taxes never quite matched the calculation made by the state taxing authority and correcting QuickBooks' record of what I actually paid was a bit complicated. Also, the price for this service is not competitive, compared to other services, for very small businesses.

Reasons for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

At the time I started with QuickBooks Payroll, they had an arrangement through Costco that provided the service at a very competitive rate. Once that arrangement ended, however, QuickBooks price was a good deal higher than their competitors, for my very small business.

Marcus

Quickly Moved from Quickbooks Payroll to a professional service

It has been a few years since I used Quickbooks Payroll and possibly they have improved the experience over the last 3-4 years. However, for my money, I found it was easier to outsource this function and save the time and headaches.

Pros

Since it was already part of our Quickbooks Online program, I wanted to attempt to save money on payroll by doing it myself. It was easy to access in Quickbooks and the initial setup wasn't too hard. The quickbooks program does allow you to have accountant access to import payroll, which is far better than doing it yourself!

Cons

I quickly ran into roadblocks on setting up payroll in Quickbooks and finding support was nearly impossible. The dashboard wasn't helpful and after working through some more complex setup and still arriving at tax withholding errors, I decided it was best to hire a professional service.

Caitlyn

Basic Functionality

Customer service was not the best. I would spend hours on the phone with a rep to try to get a resolution. Even then, it took multiple calls for the task to be completed.

Pros

Software is great for smaller companies with only salaried employees that expect minimal changes between payroll runs.

Cons

Adding a view of payroll changes each period would be helpful to identify major changes or potential mistakes. Also allowing employees to update their W-4 information on their own would have saved time from an HR standpoint, as well as mitigated risk.

Reasons for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Quickbooks payroll was chosen as it was convenient when setting up quickbooks as our accounting system.

Anne

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

February 2022

Good for both experienced and inexperienced payroll processors

Pros

Easily able to modify paychecks before/during processing.

Cons

QB Payroll will not process local taxes, so it can't be considered a full service payroll solution like ADP or others. Unable to calculate WC liability unless using QB WC

Quickbooks Assisted Payroll - Great for small businesses

Overall, it's been great for our company. As mentioned above, their customer service needs some help. Other than that, their payroll service has helped a tremendously, in keeping track of everything needed to comply to State and Federal filing and tax deadlines. I would recommended it as a tool to help ease the work for your payroll person in the office.

Pros

I like the ease of the payroll service. We have a small number of employees, yet prior to QuickBooks, sometimes quarterly payroll taxes were mis-calculated. With QuickBooks Assisted Payroll, we do not ever have to worry about sending in payments, as they are done for us automatically. W-2 are no longer a headache either, they are don't quickly and generated seamlessly.

Cons

When we do have issues, customer service is not to par. They stopped service many of their payroll services and when you do, you do get switched around a lot and many seem to not know the basics of payroll. - I wouldn't recommend their services if you need step by step help on processing your company payroll.

Reasons for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Not Applicable; we were manually doing payroll prior to QuickBooks Payroll.

nichole

Industry: Farming

Quickbooks payroll

Pros

Quick books has been a great tool for our small business. We have six employees that are all full-time so we are provided them easy direct deposit paychecks, and payroll helps me keep track of everything for tax season. It has it all in one place which makes it very user friendly.

Cons

The price for quickbooks is higher than other software and I wish they had deals or promos for reoccurring users.

Sandra

May 2022

QB Payroll helps streamline the payroll process

Since switching from a manual payroll system to QB Payroll we have saved time, our employees are receiving their money quicker, our financial reporting is more accurate, and our payroll taxes are filed on time with little effort.

Pros

I like that QB Payroll reminds me when deadlines are approaching, has many pre-set forms included, processes payroll accurately and timely, and provides multiple formats for reporting.

Cons

QB Payroll does not allow an easy way to print prior year form W2. It only saves one year form W2 at a time. Sometimes I would like to print a prior year quickly and cannot.

bridgette

Quick and Easy

Pros

I love the navigation and user friendly set up of the website. The website is straight forward and easy to understand. I also like there is customer support via chat.

Cons

Sometimes there is a bit of a lag on the website when updating the bank used for payroll processing.

Betsy

Industry: Individual & Family Services

April 2022

Great software for my payroll needs.

Pros

It is easy to set up accounts for the employees and really easy to use. very user friendly.

Cons

Sometimes the accounts created do not work when employees try to log in. Seldom, we would have to request another email to set up a user that had issues with logging in, so it was an easy fix. Aside from these very few incidents, it works great.

Melissa

Quickbooks saved our business!

Pros

I love how easy quickbooks was to set up and use! We used this software for many years to enter payroll and keep track of employees wages.

Cons

There is nothing I don’t like about Quickbooks

ROSS

Decent Product

Very good product, does what you need it to. However a few more detail options would be good.

Pros

Easy to use. Offers integration through third party apps

Cons

Unable to specify an Employee class type.

Reasons for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

We use Quickbooks Online software so setup was minimal. Pricing was the same.

Aaron

April 2022

Helpful to pull payroll information for future use

Pros

I could refer to historical payroll information for budgeting and forecasting.

Cons

Entering payroll information was unwieldy.

Mike

I'm a happy camper.

Very good to outstanding overall. The software itself is very good and keeps improving. Also, as the market leader, they have many local CPA's that integrates into the software as "local experts", so when I have a question I can typically ask my CPA firm and they can help, or whenever there has been a problem that they can't solve, they are able to contact support on my behalf. Overall the system works pretty well.

Pros

The payroll service is really easy overall. All the tasks that I use are quite simple to navigate around, including adding new employees, paying employees, and sending out payroll liability payments. These are what I do most often and they've been really simplified by Quickbooks. Other functions that I use are payroll deductions (401k, etc), tracking sick/vacation time, and managing direct deposit. Another feature I like (part of QB Online, not sure about Desktop), is that employees are emailed a link to join their payroll management website, where they can access payroll stubs, W2's etc. It has made managing a lot of the HR parts of hiring employees much more streamlined.

Cons

Not really a con, but I don't have any experience with any of the direct competitors, e.g. Freshbooks, Sage, Xero, etc., so I can't say if Quickbooks does anything better or worse than those others. But what I can say is that I did switch from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online, which is a much better experience overall (although more expensive).

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

CPA firm required it. It's more costly, but its worth it.

Quickbooks Online Payroll

The software continues to be very efficient and provides ease of use. However, the confidence I have in customer service is what makes me stick with this software and not look elsewhere for an alternative.

Pros

Ease of implementation and constant guidance available from customer service to resolve any issue. Also the ability to access and run payroll from any device that can reach the internet provides so much productivity.

Cons

The Elite payroll service seems so restrictive. I cannot access many of the settings or execute many of the functions that I could through the Core payroll service. To change these settings I need to go through customer service, which was very confusing and frustrating during the implementation of the payroll service.

Reasons for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Years of experience with the product and with the customer service of this product.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

We wanted to integrate payroll into bookkeeping function of the business and we wanted to control when and how the payroll was executed rather than depend entirely upon a 3rd party service to execute this function for us.

The best payroll software I'm aware of

I use Quickbooks Payroll for multiple organizations to process all aspects of payroll. I have used it for employees in four different states. I've already mentioned how useful it is in automatically calculating and tracking everything. I also use it to prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for government tax agencies. I especially appreciate the ability to e-file several tax reports and e-pay some taxes as well. Each year I prepare and file employees' w-2s using Quickbooks Payroll, which makes the process fairly simple.

Pros

My favorite thing about Quickbooks payroll also happens to be the most important thing about it...it is accurate! The payroll tax rates and rules are always updated to maintain accuracy in a changing landscape. When processing payroll, everything is automatically calculated and tracked for accuracy - including annual salary, vacation and/or sick pay, holiday pay, withholding tax, and unemployment tax. I don't have to worry about manually calculating things, knowing when there are tax changes, or potentially making mistakes.

Cons

I most dislike how expensive Quickbooks Payroll is. I only use the Enhanced Payroll subscription that integrates with existing Quickbooks desktop software or Quickbooks online subscription. That means I do all of actual work in processing payroll and payroll taxes, rather than using a more full-service option. I think the (ever increasing) several hundred dollars per year it costs to have the subscription is unreasonable. (In addition there's a separate fee for each direct deposit check.) However, the truth is, I rely so much on the functions of Quickbooks payroll that I continue utilizing it despite the cost complaints. I haven't come across anything better so I feel I have no choice.

Juan

Industry: Utilities

New to Quickbooks auto payroll

I'm very new to Quickbooks Payroll but my experience thus far has been nothing short of great. I have been using other Quickbooks products for many years though and I'm very satisfied with Quickbooks as a whole.

Pros

This software includes all the features I was looking for in one place and for a great price. My main concern as a business owner was ease of usage, accessibility and automation. This software met all these requirements and then some. The interface is very easy to navigate and user friendly and I can access everything whether I'm at home, office or on the go with their array of applications. Once everything is set up properly, there's no need to worry about it which is a huge time saver for me. I'm very busy as it is meeting clients, drafting proposals and doing the accounting, so anything I can automate reliably is of great help.

Cons

The actual set up of the payroll was a lengthy process and required to have a lot of information on hand but I wouldn't really consider this too much of a con since I had one of their amazing specialists helping me with every single step of the process. She did almost of all the work for me if I'm being honest, I just inputted data as instructed. She was very thorough and thought of concerns I didn't even think about. Just make sure you have ample time to get through the whole set up calmly.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

ADP was very expensive in comparison to Quickbooks. I was paying more than double of what I pay now ONLY for payroll services, whereas with Quickbooks I get full service automated payroll and accounting for half the price. Mind you, even Quickbooks top tier bundle service, it's still cheaper than ADP and offers so much more.

Peggy

If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution

Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

Pros

pretty easy to use set up easily integrated in QuickBooks Online

Cons

Biggest issues are: -Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors. - Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries to read the full manual to figure it out, when in fact, it is a recent programming changes issue. - Integration with other Apps - You cannot integrate a time card app because only hours are uploaded from app to QuickBooks and we cannot map $/hr pay for contractors, only employees. Who focuses on contractor payments? - RECENT "improvements" and rate increase double the cost of the tool for my company.

Reasons for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

thought it was going to be easy to use

RUN Powered by ADP

Excellent Software & Customer Service

I've switched from ADP to Quickbooks Payroll. I really enjoy having all of my businesses extremities implemented under one system. It's basically a one-size fits all. I am able to print my own payroll checks and vendor checks when I want and not have to wait for shipping. I enjoy having that flexibility. I also enjoy the fact that I can implement labor into my project management to see our profit/loss in real time. Excellent service overall.

Pros

Quickbooks online has made it incredibly easy for me to run and maintain my business from an administrative standpoint. I am able to manage my business from an iPad, which gives me the freedom that I need to move around. It is easy to use with an incredibly intuitive user interface. I can track payments, invoices, project management, etc. I will continue using this software.

Cons

I do not particularly like the Quickbooks mobile application. I've found that it lacks features or is harder to navigate than the online platform. I'm able to pull up the online platform from my iPad, which is the direction I tend to go when using Quickbooks from a mobile device. I wish the mobile application more closely resembled the online web platform.

Vicki

Payroll Service for Small Offices

I have not had any problems with quickbooks payroll at all. I would recommend this service to other businesses. I also found them to be cheaper that the other payroll companies out in the market.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. Has all of the options we need for tracking deductions, types of pay, vacation accruals, 401K, flexplan deductions, etc. Online check stubs for the employees. They can just log on and get a copy of their paycheck. They automatically receive an email when the check is ready to review. Easy data entry. Quickbooks takes care of all of the Federal and state filing forms and payments. If you use Quickbooks for your business you can set it up to automatically transfer the payroll to your general ledger. Saves time and prevents errors.

Cons

If you don't start out using this software with your quickbooks when you first implement - you are not able to keep your payroll history. If you need to convert from one software to another - I would recommend doing it at the time of your physical year.

Reasons for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Because I use quickbooks for all other accounting functions and I know that they have a good reputation.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Their prices was getting a little high and it was cheaper to go with Quickbooks payroll

Ruben

Customer Service

Quickbooks Payroll has been easy to use. We just recently started using Quickbooks for payroll. If I would have known how easy it was, I would have switched along time ago. I do not like change much, so if it works why switch. Quickbooks has been working well for our business.

Pros

The software is extremely user friendly. I love the simplicity of it. And When I have an issue chatting online instantly is amazing. Today I had an issue with our address since we moved our office and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing. He was genuine in asking how my day was and very understanding and friendly. He took care of my issue and made sure it would not come up again.

Cons

In the 5 years that we have been with quickbooks there is really nothing bad I can say about the software. It has been great for our business.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Pricing and ease of having everything together on one platform

Industry: Oil & Energy

QuickBooks Review

Personally I like quickbooks for the most part. My biggest issue is when I do call customer service for something I always get a different answer to the same question. It seems like most of the customer service reps don't actually know so they tell you what they think is right. It has been so frustrating that if [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] hadn't helped me I would have seriously considered another avenue then keeping quickbooks. I spoke with 6 different people about a corrections case and every time I was given conflicting information to the same question. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was the only rep that has really known what he was talking about and took the time to call me the next day and resolve the issue while also providing with the email to verify he was correct. He did a great job and i truly appreciate him. The res of your reps I have spoken to since March really don't seem to know and when I mention that they are providing conflicting info they blame it on "oh well sorry that person was mistaken." That is not acceptable.

Pros

The ability to run payroll efficiently, early and make edits before payday if need be. Also printing previous pay checks and payroll summary is very helpful

Cons

some of the reports are more complicated than they need to be and the credit card sync is not fluid. it creates too many duplicates when there is a business credit account with multiple cards on the same credit account.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Gusto was inconsistent and difficult to speak t anyone when there was an error

Agnieszka

QuickBooks Payroll Review

Good but the items above have to be corrected for us to be completely satisfied.

Pros

We use the Intuit Full Service payroll. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very helpful the other day spending many ous on the phone with me in efforts to correct our issue.

Cons

There are two CONS I want to mention. Both of them do not have to do with the service [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided. 1 - it is very difficult to get a hold of a representative on the phone. We have desktop version of Quickbooks. The Intuit Full Service payroll advertises we should use a feature embedded in Quickbooks online to call speak to a representative. We do not have that option as we do not use the online version of the software. This needs to be attended to. No one wants to be on hold for 45 minutes to be able to talk to a representative. 2 - the IIF file import form Intuit Full Service payroll to desktop Quickbooks has a flaw. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I spent hours the other day talking to Quickbooks desktop people and although they found a fix, it was just one-time fix. Please, refer to the service ticket [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I were working on for details. This also requires immediate attention.

Ease of use

Quickbooks ease of use

Theresa

Customer Service

Overall it has been easy to use

Pros

Online customer service features/chat option and being able to integrate with QuickBooks software.

Cons

Some of the updates can be frustrating as well as the importing features (lost files, duplicate files, etc).

Recommendation