• Pros

• "i like everything about the program. it is easy to use and rarely ever have to call customer service for help"

• "It is easy to process payroll and submit to HMRC. Year end processing is straightforward. Online is good."

• "The program can still be learned or a course the price of a arm and a leg can be taken and you will be able to work it after a while in part. "

• Cons

• "Each new release contains some minor bugs, but they are quickly corrected. Only the price and licensing method can be one of cons"

• "Although it is not the most robust payroll system in the world, it functions at a basic and reliable level and each update improves the system greatly. "

• "sometime we have had issue with loading new people on."

Browse Sage Payroll Reviews

Margaret from ThreeCs

Review of Sage One

We really liked how simple Sage have made this software, they must have used different developers than the Sage 50 developers! We also liked the VAT handling, top marks for that.

Pros

Sage One is extremely basic and fairly straight forward to use. The software is a no frills solution and is stripped down to bare bones. For instance, there are no nominal codes and no transactions list (audit trail) etc. The terminology is also very user friendly so that non-professionals and users without bookkeeping experience can understand it better. The website has a mediocre design but the design of the accounting software itself was actually very good, better than the website’s design, which is unusual! Speed: The speed of the actual accounting software is fast but entering transactions is not. For example, entering cash book (banking) transactions has three steps which seemed a bit overkill in our opinion. Also the places for entering sales receipts, purchase payments and bank transfers were spread out throughout the software which meant that it coule be time consuming if you have a mixture of transactions to enter.

Cons

We did not like how entering different types of transactions required the user to access multiple sections of the accounting software.

Marcus from SMRECEK & CO SC

Sage Payroll

I like sage payroll compared to other providers for the prices they offer and the customer service that is available.

Pros

Sage payroll is easy to use and is cost effective. Sage charges very reasonable prices to run payroll and to direct deposit payroll checks.

Cons

I do not like that it takes up to 7 days to clear a pre-note when authorizing a new bank account. It is inconvenient to check manual checks while a pre-note is processing

Coreen Zwarts from Idenko Accountants

Good luck if you're expecting world class support from a world class service provider.

After years of being a loyal customer I am saying goodbye.

Pros

Cons

Please do not expect telephone support because pastel has a high call volume and year end the whole year through. Email support is a guide that is sent to sort you out and 80% misses the plot completely. Do not overpay your account even once, because each month you will have to throw a tantrum and send an email to all their departments to get out of arrears for overpaying them.

Kim from Real Estate

So easy to use

Allows us to easily do payroll for 25 people in-house and avoid an expensive service.

Pros

Very easy, smooth processing, zero issues in 5+ years. Easy to reach help if something needs changing or updating and changes are made within minutes (changing rate plan, updating bank draft info, etc)

Cons

The direct deposit fee system creates a journal entry for you and it is not immediately available. It used to happen when the payroll was synced but now you have to wait a day or so for it to download. I wish there was a way to make that instant again or turn it off so we could adjust manually immediately.

Jonathan from Boadrwalk Corporation

Beneficial Software

Pros

Sage software makes our job more easier and convenient since it can be access through mobile phones and fax which is very useful in our corporate that have a numerous number of branches, and make it possible to check ledgers any time even out of working hours. It also covers all payroll processing and taxation duties with expanded range of reports including general ledger.

Cons

As of now I don't have any problems with sage software it is very useful for all of us in our department and makes our work more efficient

Sage Payroll is affordable, and reliable. it also offers a detailed collection of reports

Payroll process is now easier to complete

Pros

Provides detailed reports with the ability to allow users to pay their employees through direct deposit, or company-generated checks.

Cons

Outdated GUI with an unfriendly interface. This software can be complex and confusing for payroll officers without prior accounting knowledge.

Laura from Missio Dei Church

Industry: Philanthropy

Not User-Friendly

I feel like a pretty competent and computer savvy person. The more I use Sage, the less and less I like it. I don't know if it's just my company or what, but every January, I lose my mind. When it's time to update rates & salaries, there are one million steps and once I think I've figured it out, I look at the calculated totals for our next paychecks and almost all of them are incorrect. I have to then call to get things sorted out. I have now been transferred three times. "Self-service" payroll is not an adequate name for this product. I have been told that there are certain features that I can change on my own and others I cannot. It should be 100% self-service or 0%. Additionally, every year the W-2s for two of my employees are incorrect. Overall, running payroll from paycheck to paycheck is a simple process! I'd recommend it for that, but a headache I experience each year in updating totals and doing taxes is starting to make me question whether I should stick with Sage or not. I will say that 80% of the people I speak with in customer support are friendly - so I guess that's good.

Pros

It's quick to use for running payroll.

Cons

Updating rates, salaries, and deductions are very difficult. It causes such a headache.

Denise Wilson from StayinFront UK Limited

Great Easy to use Product

Great Software, I dislike that at times, calling for help can take a VERY long time.

Pros

There is a very simple step by step process to follow that I instinctively picked up as a new person to payroll. the Pensions Add on module is easy to use and simplifies what can be an arduous task. The ability to link with the accounts, banking AND individual accounts for online payslips all bring payroll into the 21st century.

Cons

Desigining reports is a minefield and only for those who have either paid for training or are minded in how to programme. I have never managed to design my own report that works just for me.

Joni from Impact Business Products

Sage hijacked our payroll software!

I do have to say since they forced us to find another payroll software, I can now see how cumbersome the sage software is.

Pros

Fully integrated with Sage software. I actually really liked the Sage program, until I found that others were actually easier. I liked how it was flexible and had had the manual tax override. I liked the reports that it created and that it would generate the 941's. I like how it would track the changes in an employee's wage over their employment.

Cons

The high maintenance fees to maintain this software is ridiculous. I also did not like how you had to completely close a quarter and/or year before you could go on to the next. This is especially challenging with year end and the w-2's. I have since found that with other software this is not the case.

Uwais from Outsourced CFO

Sage Payroll Review

SimplePay is easier to use for a South African company

Pros

It is helpful that this allows my payroll to be based in the cloud

Cons

The deductions calculated on some employees of my client were incorrect, resulting in me having to make many changes when converting to new payroll.

Tim from Bryan Consulting Inc.

Cloud based payroll program that gets the job done

Pros

This cloud based program lets us do our payroll and keep track of time in an easy enough to use platform. Since this is geared towards small and medium sized businesses it was perfect for us. It allows us to pay with direct deposit, paycards, and company checks which is very convenient for us. Overall this program is great at doing what it needs to do.

Cons

There are times that this can be a little slow to use and buggy, but overall we haven't had too many issues with the program and think the benefits outweigh the cons. Nothing major that would hold us back from buying again.

Andrea from Alex Horner Plastering

Sage 50 Payroll

At home I do prefer Brightpay ( we've got only e employees and two/three sub-contractors); Sage seems to be the software for payroll when you got more than 20 employees. I wish Sage would let me know that wages or pension needs to be submitted to HMRC (which brightpay does).

Pros

Using it for over 10 years now; there is nothing I don't know about sage payroll by now. Pension module is easy to use, all necessary correspondents is saved in the individual employees file on Sage.

Cons

Very expensive! Pension module cost extra! GDPR cost extra! and so on. Sage payroll enrolls new employee with a future date but then wont let me submit the pension data as one or more employees auto-enrolment date is in the future. "Sage you set the program up that way and then you tell me its wrong to submit?" Very strange.

Stephanie from Liberty Mutual Insurance

Covers all of my payroll needs!

Pros

Sage Payroll is super easy, convenient, and fast to use. It has saved us many headaches in comparison to our old, clunky system! We use the report-writer tool daily, and having the ability to export the data we need is so helpful. The interface is simple and straightforward, and does exactly what we need it to do.

Michelle from Motorcycle dealer

great program

Pros

Cons

i think that the program should branch out further and have more options that can be used with the system

Sage Payroll - I saw how the product changed from the first release

Pros

For 12 years I have been working on Sage and One Payroll products is the product that made the greatest progress and the most developed. I implemented the software from the first version and I can honestly say that One Payroll is easy to set up and use, and at the same time gives you great customization options for your own needs

Cons

Sage helped us pay our employees with ease!

Pros

This was the first system I was thought when doing payroll. This was so easy to use I was completing payroll, making changes, producing reports and checking statements within a month of learning how to use this. It is so easy to click on a name, make the change and save your changes. For a novice, this was great as a starting tool and we used it for years.

Cons

I would say reporting could be better as at times I wanted to make my own, but for me it looked complicated and therefore I didn't use it as much. Also there is a flow of how the system works and this can be confusing as this assists in understanding the order of Sage.

Rita from Three Cs

Industry: Philanthropy

Review for Sage

Pros

Sage allows easy uploading and access to documentation of employees for employment regulations and so forth

Cons

Uploading failures occur quite frustrating at times I believe this happened when there are more users at one time

Andrew from Non-Profit Organization Management

Sage Payroll

Cutting time and increasing accuracy of client's payroll increases company's profitability and efficiency.

Pros

Using programmed features to do client's payroll makes it whole lot easier than traditional Excel. Less time consuming as it automatically calculates deductions which makes it less room for error. Printing cheques, PD7A, T4 and etc.

Cons

As it is a program, it takes little while to get use to the features. Especially when adjusting previously entered payroll could we little tricky.

Laura from Indigo Payment Processing

Sage Payroll Services

Sage Payroll Services is the best payroll platform I've ever used. Ease of use and back office support is top notch at Sage.

Pros

Price. Ease of use. Rep support. Back office support. Accuracy of reporting. Accuracy of tax payments.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons with Sage.I have used many services before and was never impressed with the others.

Tina from Reliable Bookkeeping Services

Flexible software that can be customized

Pros

Can be customized to meet your needs. The payroll entries are automatically generated and integrated in the Sage accounting system

Cons

It does not generate an accurate ROE when an employee did not work on certain pay periods. The ROE is done manually

Ron from CPA for Harvey's Hardware

Sage Payroll 10-30 Employees

Very pleased with the ease of use, including salaried and hourly employees. Reports are very detailed and customizable. Optional e-file of reports is not expensive, easy to use and worth the cost

Pros

If you want control of your payroll, Using the built-in Sage Payroll is worth the extra cost

Cons

Nothing really

Emma from Pilates Plus Dublin

Sage Payroll System

I stared using Sage at the beginning of the year having previously used different payroll software for almost 9 years. My main reason for changing was that even though it had been promised for years the other software did not work on Apple and I needed it to as my main computer is a MacBook. I find Sage to be very good value. Easy to use on all computers. Quick and easy to do a payroll run but there are definitely quite a number of features it is lacking compared to other payroll software but then this may be due to the fact that it does offer such good value for money. I believe they may be adding to it which would be super.

Pros

Ease of use. Price. Can be used on an Apple Mac.

Cons

Lacks certain functionality.

BILL from Vision dynamics

Easy to use. Great for a small business.

Ease of use frees me up for other tasks.

Pros

Automatic. Great for a small business with no payroll changes. Just set and forget, payroll runs every week.

Cons

Need customer service help to make changes. Handles local taxes but takes some effort to get set-up.

Wanda from Heathdale Christian College

Ok but not great for a large employer

It is very reliable and simple to navigate. Its easy to set up new employees.

Pros

Fantastic customer support and training. Great E knowledge and online help portal. the software is reliable and easy to use. Easy to export employee data to excel

Cons

Not great for a large employer with complicated work patterns-rosters. It doesn't handle partime rates auto uploads, I have to manually key each new rate per employee. Also I do not believe you have the ability to upload csv files (for updating).. Reporting is limited to the pre-formatted reports provided

Jenn from bad habit nyc

Payroll solution for those with limited time

payroll completed in a timely fashion with ease

Pros

fast easy and accurate, this program makes payroll a less daunting chore with many time saving features to help you finish accurately

Cons

i really have no dislikes in this program but it could be a bit more appealing to the eyes its very standard looking

Teresa from Advanced Material Handling

Bookkeeper

Pros

If a mistake is made it is easy to go back and fix. Such as payroll if a cheque was done incorrectly all you have to do in adjust the cheque to fix.

Cons

Setting up the software is a little confusing when setting up deductions and income for payroll I don't use it often and forget how to do this.

Noel from Abat Lerew Construction

You lose access to all your reports and data once you discontinue the service

We shut down our business in the 3rd quarter and immediately lost access to all of our payroll reports, quarterly reports, and information for the whole year. We ended up having to do W-2s ourselves.

Pros

Customer service is helpful. The program is somewhat complicated and not very user friendly, so customer service will likely be needed so many functions.

Cons

We had to use both Sage Payroll and Sage Time, and then export information from Time into Payroll. It's complicated and the 2 services do not talk to each other. We had a problem with one of our employee's input and each system insisted it was on the other one's end.

Betty from Edward Consulting

I was working on payroll for a small company and they had this software and I worked on it a dozen times or more before my project assignment ended

Pros

It is easy to use and I like the fact that it will calculate all the taxes you need to process payroll

Cons

Well it is a simple program and you can't really run alot of scenarios on it I wish it had more functionality

Ronda from Pries Enterprises, Inc.

Industry: Mining & Metals

regret my decision

At first it wasn't bad when I worked with the transition person, then they gave me a different/permanent rep. Occasionally answers my emails, I have garnishments they set up that are overpaid, go to the wrong place or just ignored. you get what you pay for

Pros

there is no need to print and sort time cards

Cons

customer service is terrible - lots of errors! Don't get a response in a timely manner if at all. For processing payroll for as long as they say - they don't seem to understand garnishments, overtime and shift differential

Fiona from E M Luiz Chartered Accountants (SA)

Sage Payroll

Excellent. Upgrades are provided to keep it up to date with the tax authorities and government regulations

Pros

It covers various employee remuneration methods to be calculated. It is possible to process hourly, daily, weekly and monthly calculations. Ability to verify employee details and be integrated with other Sage products. Easy to use.

Cons

It is not cost effective for very small businesses.

Christine from Pho Ketkeo

Cant ever log into payroll to pay employees!

Pros

There are very few Pros I can think of other than that they take careof quarterly tax payments for you.

Cons

It is utterly frustrating to try and log-into the system as it takes FOREVER to load and that is IF it doesn't time out on you. I'm talking over an hour just to log in because it just sits there and tries to load the entire time. Then you have to punch in your verification code EVERY SINGLE TIME you log-in for "added security" which takes another hour to process. Ridiculous!!

Comprehensive UK payroll software

Able to process monthly payroll in house

Pros

Produces clear reports, easy to use, automatically downloads updates, and can store as much or as little information about employees as you wish.

Cons

Layout is quite dated. Not very easy to correct mistakes and re-run the payroll (but possible if you follow the Help).

brian from Walker Electronics Ltd

CONTRACT FOR A YEAR

Experience of Sage has always been turbulant especially whenb you try to change or leave.

Pros

Its reasonably easy to use for the basics

Cons

You are tied into a one year contract from day 1 with NO NEGOTIOTIONS in fact customer services are very rude. Much cheaper programs and better available

Simple easy to use payroll

Love the payroll module

Pros

It is very easy to use, has powerful features that cover everything I would ever need, yet I am not overwhelmed by the feature set

Cons

I don't see a con, it is a similar or lower cost to a payroll service and does not add work.

Michael from Wooster Motor Ways

Good software for maintaining payroll for a small business.

Pros

It is quick and easy to setup and they provide quarterly tax updates to stay current on government changes.

Cons

It can be slow processing large queries or running complicated reports. Support can be slow to respond during year end and tax season.

Alyssa from Consigli Construction Co., Inc.

We use many Sage products but turned away from Sage payroll

Pros

I liked that it was simple to code my work hours in the system, it was nice to do it right from my computer

Cons

We actually switched to a website to code time for payroll and I think we switched since we could not access from a website domain

pasang from Allen & Co Accountants

Great software

Overall the software is amazing as it is from Key-pay. Anyone willing to spend a bit extra $$$ can go for this software as it provides lots of features. Processing payroll is very efficient.

Pros

This software is easy to use and able to access online.

Cons

Creating a deduction category for employee is bit hassle as it is bit confusing. Anyone creating a deduction category will have a tough time figuring out the process. Also, the software becomes bit costly if more features are added and also the number of employee crosses 5. Intuit provides free payroll for upto 10 employees.

Easy interface and handles online submission

Pros

Cons

I can't think of anything negative about it. It had everything my small company needs. It isn't too expensive.

Eula from Paraizo Disegno

Great product - Strong company.

Please know and understand, that I have firm belief this is a great product, but we have not used it yet. We go live in November. Customer Support is excellent

Pros

Wide range of business solutions. The company is solid, having know how and capital strength. Invited me to the summit, and I was sold.

Cons

Not all of the software solutions are integrated. Thus had to look for specialists that could get them to collaborate.

Trevor from Flexahopper Plastics Ltd.

Industry: Packaging and Containers

Great Payroll

Pros

Easy to use and quick to produce payroll from start to finish.

Cons

Sometimes the sage interface is a bit confusing, but once you are used to it, it is quite easy.

Ali from FHG Business Group

Sage is a Good Buy!

We are using SAGE for managing our Payroll and a couple other functions. We might even use it for the other functions this year as our experience with them has been good so far.

kagiso

sam from self employed

worst ever

Pros

Non. I could not think of any so nothing really except look for another product there are a lot of other options

Cons

No support. period.Tried calling them numerous times. either no answer or hanging up. so please go ahead and try something else

Jasean from Transportation company

Worst payroll service EVER

My earnings were not reported ot the IRS now im facing fines and penalties.

Pros

Software is Low Grade and not user friendly. I wouldn't recommend this payroll service to a child selling lemonade at lemonade stand for accounting.

Cons

I couldn't find anything I enjoyed to say the least.

Barbara from Nextgen Clearing Ltd.

Not my favourite

Cons

Customer support not very helpful, if you call you wait for hours, sometimes updates are done without even letting you know which is a pain. Not very straightforward payroll, I found it too long winding and not very easy to use.

Bianca from C.H.E.

This product is amazing!

Pros

I love how easy it is to add new employees and how we are able to pay out on multiple things on one check. As well as the fact that the checks can be mailed or printed.

Cons

I do not like the customer service we have gotten from the company. We normally get the checks mailed to us, but they do not have the best most accurate information. Other then that the services are great!

Monica from Sora Power

Good Bargin with experiance to back it up

We replaced ADP with this product. I couldn't be happier with the ease of transition.

Pros

I like the ease of use and the availability of standard reporting. Really happy to have an actual person to talk to who uses the program. I like that the fees are charged when the payroll is processed.

Cons

I have only used the product for 2 payrolls and I haven't come across any problems or concerns yet.

Blessie from Hm

Ok software, have used better ones out there

Pros

Simple features , easy to make updates manually for smaller to middle sized company. Larger companies might want to look into another software.

Cons

Dated software and processes for some things, have to manually make a lot of changes. Not the greastest customer support.

May 2016

Katherine from American Retirement Homes

1.5

1.5

May 2016

Reminded me of an Old DOS Program, functioned well but seemed outdated

Pros

Ease of use, the software is very user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

The amount of screens you had to go through to put in one new hire and the product was from a re-seller and direct support was difficult to obtain

Landie from Upwork