• Pros

• "Easy to use, and can be used very broadly. Great customer service. Great design. Feature rich."

• "It's easy to use, easy to train my team on, and seems to offer great collaborative features I haven't even tried yet."

• "Really user friendly on both ends. Easy to make new categories, add team members, etc. And whenever I have questions, Submittable customer service is SO helpful."

• Cons

• "The only thing that's slightly a downside is that you have to be in Submittable to get all the information about your submission, but that's not really a problem. "

• "Not really a con but a nitpick. Trying to find the 'send to kindle' button was a bit of a challenge but really good service when used."

• "Sometimes the speed lags from page to page or it updates slowly. Usually it works really well but occasionally it slows down and slows the word day down."

Browse Submittable Reviews

Jeff from OPEN: Journal of Arts and Letters

It provides me with all necessary services as a submitter. It provides all I require as an editor.

Pros

Submittable is convenient. As a submitter, it provides efficient mechanisms for making submissions and efficient tracking of those submissions. As an editor, it provides me with notices and updates to allow me to process submissions quickly and efficiently. Submittable is practical. As a submitter, a single page allows me to keep track of active submissions to several publications. As an editor, the features for reaction and response to submitters makes my job much easier. Submittable is uncomplicated, easily used, and easy to understand. As a submitter, these qualities make submissions tracking manageable. Submittable is used widely enough to be familiar to virtually all writers and artists who submit work for publication.

Cons

Our current package allows only 5 of our team members to have access to submissions. I could wish for more relaxed limits in that regard.

brian from THINK

Reliable and Effecient

I enjoy my work, and Submittable gives me confidence to stay organized and productive. I will learn to do more with it as I proceed and learn how to utilize what's available that I haven't tried yet (e.g. blind readings, running contests, etc.) The experience has been a very good, and as we grow our journal's submission rate which correlates to our growing readership, Submittable, I believe, will be an excellent tool for me as managing editor and the people who assist me.

Pros

I am able to manage my submissions quite easily with Submittable. It has many sorting options, and several tools to make reading a large amount of work manageable. Working collaboratively with other editors is possible and efficient because of the filtering functions (such as the use of labels, storing submissions, ordering them by date, alphabetically, etc.) and team management tools (such as the assigning of certain tasks to certain individuals, easy messaging, dissemination of work, etc.) I like the basic look/visuals of Submittable, as it is relatively intuitive to use. Furthermore, when I encountered troubles or had questions, I was given friendly and quick help over the telephone, as well as through their chatlines. Editing our site is also very easy.

Cons

I don't like that some services are offered to certain levels of subscriptions and not to others. I'd rather have a good, fair price for the use of Submittable's full functions. It's not always clear to me what I have in my subscription, even though not too hard to check, I suppose. Also, to "test" how forms will look to submitters seems a little complicated, but not too bad once going through it. I feel a little "blind" when sending out ACCEPT/DECLINE. Not sure what the solution is, however, and really does not present any real trouble for me.

Sarah from 8N Publishing

Industry: Writing and Editing

The easy way to submit documents

I've used Submittable to submit manuscripts to literary agents and editors and it's been a very easy and effective process. It's a nice one-stop-shop for my submission materials and nice to be able to check the status of various submissions in the same place. From the first time I used it to the last, it's been a straightforward, easy, experience.

Pros

It's impossible to format submissions incorrectly because Submittable only accepts the types of docs your recipient wants. It's an easy to use template to uplad the appropriate content and then manage your submission.

Bernice from M&C Saatchi Abel

Industry: Writing and Editing

Good for external reviews.

I use this whenever I submit poems or manuscripts to publishers. It's really easy to use and it stores your old content which means that you never lose anything. I only use it when I have to. I've never used it for my own reasons. It's always when the publisher/competition requests its use. I have no reason to use it beyond that.

Pros

You never lose anything because it saves it for you as a PDF. A full history of everything you have submitted and whether it is processing or whether its been accepted or declined.

Cons

Limited functionality. I can't really use it for anything personal. Only when I'm submitting work and the publisher/competition prefers this method. It would be cool if I could save workable, InDesign or Word copies for my own use. If I have to download a PDF then I have to use another software to make the text editable which is always a hassle.

Every publication should use this software

Submittable made life so much easier. We drastically improved collaboration and communication. We were able to cut down our response times to submitters. We also received more submissions.

Pros

Pretty much every feature is a lifesaver. The workflows, templates, ratings, comments, etc. It's all very well thought out and makes collection and responding to submissions of any kind super easy. The ability to collect payment for contests or other submissions is also invaluable.

Cons

Honestly, there's nothing I dislike about this software other than maybe the cost. It's one of the few tools that I think is pretty much perfect as it is.

Rebecca from Cambridge Art Association

Incredible Software for anyone!

Incredible. Again, this software is incredibly easy to use and the features it provides help up tremendously.

Pros

It is easy to use, and if anything happens that we are unsure about, the support team replies quickly and provides incredible instructions!

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about Submittable.

Edwardo from Events Services

Improved Submission Process

It has been a positive experience for our team, not only has it improved our processes it has offered more tools for our team and clients.

Pros

Submittable offered the layout and tools needed to improve our submission process. Creating submission forms & portals is super easy and takes very little software experience to understand.

Cons

While it is easy to use and offers a great layout, the software is still in development changes and can be a bit limited to how creative a user can be. Submittable currently has a gallery view setting but only works with pictures- would love to view PPTX and PDF files as well.

Reasons for Choosing Submittable

The layout and tools Submittable offered were better than what other platforms had and was more affordable.

Chila from Eastern Iowa Review

Submittable has made our publishing experience enjoyable, rather than laborious.

Pros

Its ease of use makes it a joy to work with: it's a clearinghouse, a reply tool, and an organizational tool all in one.

Cons

As it has in the past two years, I'm sure it will continue to improve it's functionality in a few of its features. For example, I'd like our readers/editors to be able to receive submissions immediately instead of me having to assign everything, but remain on a blind level, and also not be able to decline the work, just leave notes as they currently can.

Brian from Whitefish Review

We've used Submittable from the early days of its inception and absolutely love it.

Efficiency

Pros

The software is intuitive and saves us tons of time. Customer support is always there quickly when we need something or have a question. We literally could not run our journal without it. It allows me to manage a large and complex team and hundreds of submissions at a time in pretty simple form.

Cons

Trying to view and work with the submission on the iPad is a little more clunky than I would like, but not a show stopper. I mostly use the desktop.

Submittable

I've used Submittable as a business owner, a submitter, and as someone with access to read submissions. Overall, it's a pretty easy interface that allows you to collaborate and keep submissions organized.

Pros

I'm pretty sure Submittable is the only well-known service of its type, at least at the moment, but with that said, it is easy to keep track of submissions and their status as they come in, they notify you, and you can have an account with multiple people to split up tasks.

Cons

There are some things that could be a bit more intuitive, like tagging people and seeing what others have been assigned. It could be nice to have a reminder for older submissions that haven't been voted on or received a response yet, as well.

Mary Jane from Jentel Foundation

Industry: Philanthropy

Submittable...How do I love you? Let me count the ways!

Try me another day...I am out the door to a meeting.

Pros

Making the decision to shift our application process to online, I was concerned that it would meet the needs of the artists and writers applying and also ease transition for a middle to senior aged office team with varying degrees of electronic saavy. Needless to say we continue to remark on an almost daily basis how we LOVE Submittable. Ease of use was foremost and the Submittable staff are always right there with customer support. Any concerns or suggestions were addressed and often appeared as Submittable staff tweaked and updated the software. Likewise input from customers is often solicited. This open process continues to make the software better and better as new features are added and functionality is streamlined. Over the years Submittable continues to be software service and customer oriented. From staff and applicant feedback, I understand that Submittable greets anyone from neophyte to expert electronic guru users with the same degree of respect, patience, expertise and professional service. I especially appreciate the ease in navigating the software features. Ease in accessing and reviewing all areas of our applications, accessing correspondence with applicants and reviewers, sending out requests for character statements automatically, controlling access to all areas of the application and processes as needed have streamlined the time and task of handling actual materials. No more incomplete applications. Electronic deadlines hold fast.

Cons

Do I miss having USPS delivering stacks of applications for weeks on end around deadlines, when apps just pop up on the list in Submittable? Do I miss the file prep for each application as materials dribbled in little by little and were sometimes incomplete even after the deadline due to weather etc. when that is all tracked by the software? Do I miss handling over and over sections of the application and loosing track when interrupted in the process when a click of a mouse brings me right back? Do I miss being stuck at my desk surrounded by stacks of applications when I now access the applications anywhere there is wifi...even 12 time zones away which is what I did for the last batch of applications? Do I miss being burdened by attempts to streamline or simplify a labor intensive process only to discover all the benefits of using Submittable? Do I realize how staff are freed up to manage more productive tasks in the office than pushing files and paper? Do I realize that the staff team are excited to see applications appearing on their screens, versus groaning when the USPS truck drove into the parking lot? Do I realize how much more economical Submittable is versus staff time and energy factored in with hand processed applications? Do I realize how much more fun it is to problem solve around tailoring the software with Submittable staff to address a need? Do I wish our staff team had transitioned to Submittable sooner? Yes, no regrets we are HUGE Submittable fan

Great platform but could work better

In my opinion, user experience and interface matter. Submittable has a clean look that is welcoming to users. It's not a perfect platform and we've had to work around it. The team is very responsive, however, and seems open to improving their product. If only they could move a bit faster.

Pros

Submittable is easy to use and intuitive. With drag-and-drop options, creating an application takes minutes. Logic branching also helps when you want to gather more info based on an applicant's response. The file upload features are also very helpful. Once your application is live, you can track and label applications as they come in. This is helpful since a quick perusal of an application can determine eligibility. One quick label and you can filter it out during the full review process. The reviewer portal is equally intuitive. With side-by-side views, your reviewers can read and answer questions or rate the application without having to switch screens. You can also set certain application fields (such as name, gender, etc.) to blind so that there is no bias based on these questions. Overall, Submittable is a great application portal and get your money's worth.

Cons

Recommendation letter request emails don't get sent out until AFTER the applicant submit their application. This is fine in most cases but you do have to offer a small grace period to recommenders. It would be great if applicants can enter a recommender and hit a button "Request Letter." The forms can also become rather long if you have a lot of questions. It could affect completion rates. Finally, just as you are able to remind reference letter writers through the portal, it would be great to be able to remind those with incomplete application about the upcoming deadline. Right now, you can request a list of incomplete applications but you only get name and email addresses. It would be good to see some of the data that the applicants have completed so far.

Donna from Hippocampus Magazine and Books

Industry: Publishing

Submittable makes life easier. As an independent literary organization, we find value in this tool.

We save time.

Pros

What we like most about Submittable is that it allows us to manage submissions more efficiently. I'm not a fan of documents and tasks "living in email." Having a robust product like Submittable saves us time in reading and replying, as well as offering a way to capture and analyze submission data. I cannot imagine handling hundreds of submissions at a time via email, especially with a large reading panel. The built-in tools, such as sorting, labels, varying permission levels, templates, etc. allow us to customize it for our needs. I should add that any time we had a question, customer service responded right away, sometimes within minutes. Even over holidays. What did we do before Submittable? Seriously! What. Did. We. Do?

Cons

There aren't any major cons with Submittable. I'd love some more robust reporting and sorting features and maybe custom permission levels, as there are a few things I'd like to do, but cannot. For example, I'd love to see team member data by specific category, not just by a duration of time. But these are more feature ideas, nothing that I'd consider negative about the existing product. If I had to say one thing, since our reading panel (the ones who use the software) has a varying level of comfort with tech tools that maybe some of the icons could be more intuitive.

Donna from Winston Salem Writers

Not entirely intuitive, but doable for digital immigrants. "Chat" folks are responsive & helpful.

Ease of receiving submissions, as opposed to the manual email system we had in place. Also the ability to link donations as an option when paying. It's a timesaver in processing submissions that allows us to get right to the content, rather than shuffling emails back and forth to our editors.

Pros

It works VERY well for receiving, tracking, reviewing literary submissions. So organized. Helps our statewide editorial team stay connected for working and communicating. Tutorial and articles are helpful tools when setting this up.

Cons

"Up ad running in 15 minutes"? Not likely. Big down side, is that it is EXPENSIVE for non profits, despite the discount. Monthly plans ding you bigtime for signer and submission allotments. We use Premium plan, the next step up is a GIANT leap up in price but also benefits. But we cannot afford that. I would like to see a product for bonafide all-volunteer non-profits with small budgets. Arts organziations are struggling these days.

Paul from The Bitter Oleander Press

This is everything we could have hoped to help keep our submissions on track and organized.

The only glitch I've had was when the "status" column was not working, but after contacting your service representatives, the problem was fixed within 24 hours. But that's not really a con, more a pro I guess.

Pros

As an editor, it keeps the entire process of submissions very organized. The ability to archive and track all the submissions that come through here, along with all the automatic data in graph form that Submittable contributes in regards to either our regular day to day submissions or our annual competition, is everything we want it to be. Not to mention that there are numerous places which one can tuck notes about this or that author whose work is on track to be published by us. In addition, allowing the person whose work we're considering to leave notes for us about their submission should parts of it be accepted elsewhere, is a huge bonus for any editor.

Amy from The Peregrine Fund

I administer an annual international photo competition for a non-profit conservation organization.

Submittable helps me receive and track hundreds of photography submissions from users around the world, and makes collecting payments effortless. The staff is helpful and quick to reply to my queries.

Pros

Clean interface, flexible ways to sort submissions and tag them, and all actions and communications are logged by the system. Being able to customize the messages for various interactions with submitters is helpful. As our competition expands I expect to use the team functionality more. The Gallery function is an appealing way to display photos and allow the public to vote.

Cons

My primary difficulty is that entries cannot be sorted or tagged individually; i.e., when you tag a photo, the tag applies to the entire submission, not just a single photo. Since my competition allows up to 8 photos per submission, I have to sort in other ways after downloading the entries, which is a bit time-consuming but not a deal-breaker. The login requirement for voting in the Gallery view has a dampening effect; also, there's no instruction telling viewers to click on a photo to enlarge the view. Gallery sorting tools would be a welcome function as well. Gallery View has a lot of potential and I'm curious to see how Submittable's developers change it in the future.

Micah from O+ Festivals

I seriously don't know how we functioned before having Submittable. We host festivals throughout the country bringing together art, music and wellness. This requires having submission forms for all 3, plus a number of others, including an Art Auction. Submittable became the solution that we didn't even know we needed. The Art Auction is just the latest example of something that we have done in the past but finally realized Submittable was the best method. But it was their customer support that was the key. It was through discussing our needs with them that we were able to go forward. As we began using the system, they were always there to answer questions, provide an answer and take our feedback, which then resulted in changes that made for a better experience. I find that they are still just an email away. This is rare, but is why I am here writing this now. As the Technical Director for O+, I am always looking for that technological answer, but I am also always weary as often new tech can go unused, can be un-user-friendly, can be daunting to learn, etc. which then makes it actually the wrong answer. Submittable is maybe the best example I can give to how tech can really be just the right thing. Thank you.

Pros

Cons

Managing other users and exporting info can be better.

Linda from Glimmer Train Press, Inc.

Industry: Publishing

The people who work at Submittable are knowledgeable, good-natured, and GENUINELY helpful.

Submittable WORKS, and their customer support is unbeatable!

Pros

Submittable can handle so many different document types that we never could ourselves. They listen when we have suggestions/requests. Everything can be tracked - no more lost manuscripts! They've made it possible for us to offer books at the same time someone makes a submission, a great option for us. And they can issue refunds with ease.

Cons

Searches (especially across a lot of categories) sometimes are a bit slow, but we do have a LOT of categories and a LOT of submissions for the software to sort through. We're so glad to have Submittable, a respectable and caring group that has the ability to keep up with technology challenges so we can do the work we love doing.

Jeremy from Grist: A Journal of the Literary Arts

Submittable is irreplaceable in terms of the

Pros

The best thing I like about this software is how it serves multiple functions for our organization. I can easily create categories for submissions, receive submissions, the submissions can be commented on by the review team, and then I can correspond with the submitter all from within the same software. Each step of the process is easy to use.

Cons

Because of how many ways you can use the software, it takes a bit of time to get used to how to navigate between different parts of the program but once learned it's very user-friendly.

Olivia from LIT Magazine

The website and software is easy to use, reliable, and convenient.

Pros

Ease of use on many levels. It streamlines an administrative process that could take endless hours. The software is not automated (and it shouldn't be), but there are enough templates and options to make the process of managing submissions very efficient.

Cons

The navigation menus are not intuitive. It takes too long to figure out where things are hidden. Having sub-menus would help. Also, inactive team members still show up when assigning. The editorial team of this journal changes every year and there are too many names. We don't want to delete past editors, but archiving them when they are inactive would be an improvement.

Lucian from The George Washington University

This product is easy to use and indispensable to my writing endeavors

Pros

It's ease of use. Straightforward layout. Very user friendly. I like the app. Allows me to organize my submissions to literary journals and keep track of when I need to submit them before deadlines.

Cons

The navigation within the new "Following" area. I feel like there should just be a direct submit button rather than a "save" button. Right now I find myself having to go to a drop down menu up top to get to the submissions page. This is an easy fix though.

Laura from Fourth Genre: Explorations in Nonfiction

I edit a literary journal and we've used it for 3 years now.

Pros

It's the standard and most familiar for writers, which was the initial reason I chose it. But what sold me was the truly outstanding customer support. From talking me through the set-up to dealing with submitters who get confused with all technology, with any aspect of using the software, they are prompt, polite, and efficient problem solvers. No other company I deal with in any aspect of my life has customer service this good.

TJ from Publishing

Easy submissions

Being to able to track the progress of multiple submissions is worth the cost.

Pros

Tracking the progress of my submissions is amazing. Everything is there and I don't have to chart it on a separate document.

Cons

The existential angst of a submission "in progress."

Elisa from Citizens Disability

Thank you, Submittable.

Pros

Submittable saves money and trees and time. It's easy to track submissions (and track exactly how much you're spending on submission fees.) It's fairly customizable -- you can choose whether or not you want to be emailed when the status of your submission changes, which, for a sensitive artist type who tries to stay even-keeled during her 9-5, is key. Uploading documents is very easy.

Cons

I wish they had an option for users to save a cover letter template -- a letter that would auto-fill and then you could tweak as necessary. It would also be great if you could add a permanent​ bio to your account for prospective publishers -- they generally ask for this in the cover letter so it would save time.

Barrett from Free State Review

Submittable is always there and always ready, everything exactly as I left it.

Pros

I have many hundreds of ideas to make literature a better place, but before Submittable I was always bogged down by logistics. Not only was the world not ready for me--I also wasn't ready for the world. As multi-point to one point organizational tool it is indispensable to me. I have hours more in my day to dream, and now with two interns, everyone better watch out.

Jim from One Montana

The perfect online contest platform for One Montana's statewide business pitch contest for students

Pros

We found it very easy to adapt/program Submittable to fit our specific needs. With the extensive online help library and a quick-response technical support team, answers to our questions were never more than a few minutes away. Additionally, neither those high school students who submitted entries to our business pitch contest nor our panel of judges who used an online rubric to evaluate submissions reported any difficulties. Outstanding attentiveness to our contest timeline... When a couple students figured out that an email verification flaw existed with the Gallery View/Public Voting feature, they were able to submit hundreds of phony votes for their entry. As soon as the good folks at Submittable were alerted to the problem, they worked quickly (during the peak Christmas holiday season) to create a validation protocol that got voting for our Peoples' Choice Award back on track. We applaud the Submittable team for their effort on our behalf.

Cons

Response from Submittable

Replied July 2017

Thanks, Jim. We love hearing the word 'perfect' from our partners!

Overall, we are very pleased with the software. It is well worth the expense.

Pros

Their customer service department is outstanding. Their innovation team seems to be open to feedback from those of us who use the software. I will say, Submittable gives us virtual space to complete our work from all over the world. This keeps our organization and our entire field growing, and our talented team together.

Charan from Independent

Submittable Best Option of Several Grant Management Softwares Reviewed

As a small foundation we were looking for an affordable yet robust grant management software solution that would help us to automate our grant management processes, workflows, etc. Out-of-the-box Submittable was a great solution for us and they even went above and beyond to find workable solutions for our specific needs (multi-language support, etc.). Also, their on-boarding process and customer support has been tremendous.

Pros

Relative to other grant management software solutions we looked at Submittable was the most modern and professional in terms of look/feel and the easiest to use both from an administrator perspective and grantee perspective. Plus, Submittable was by far the most affordable solution and offered the best value for money in our opinion.

Cons

The only real downside was in terms of features/functionality; Submittable does not offer automated initial screening of applications. With that said, however, we were able to meet our specific business requirements with branching and Submittable was always willing to help us find workable solutions.

Kim from The Masters Review

Very usable helps our work flow so much! We love Submittable :)

Pros

Helps us organizationally and is a fundamental part of our business. Easy to use and intuitive, we also have a lot of people on our team using it as well.

A Dream for Users and Administrators Alike

Overall, Submittable makes my life easier practically on a daily basis. It makes submitting and tracking my work a breeze, and I'm so thankful!

Pros

As a freelance writer, I use Submittable on a weekly (and sometimes daily) basis, and I am so grateful that it's become so common in publishing circles. Its ease of use sure beats licking stamps and endless trips to the printer, and I love that I can track all my submissions in one place.

Cons

The one caveat I have about Submittable is that, unlike some of its predecessors, it does not provide a place for applicants to enter an alternate name, as in a nom de plume. I use a pen name myself, and the absence of this feature has caused me some trouble. (I was once awarded a prize and the site listed my legal name instead of my nom de plume--which was fixable, but also avoidable.)

Amy from The Peregrine Fund

Submittable has been a lifesaver for our photo competition!

Enabled me to administer an international photo competition virtually on my own.

Pros

I appreciate the back-end tools that allow so much flexibility for reviews, judging, and organizing. Not only can I easily sort entries and entrants, I can download all their data for reporting and further contact. And the pricing structure allows me to use the software only when I need it, but still have access to all the archived data and photos.

Cons

I used the Gallery View feature for the first time last year and would like to see continued improvement in its user interface. Opening a new account is a barrier to lots of users, and I'd like to see it simplified so more people will participate in voting.

Dinty W from Brevity Magazine

Submittable is the Best

Much greater efficiency and tracking ability

Pros

Clean, efficient interface. Great customer service. Excellent outreach to the customer base. I have used Submittable for years now and almost no problems. The once or twice that I did have a problem, I reached out and they solved it within half-a-day.

Holly from POETRY

Best customer service ever.

Pros

Cons

There are a few features it would be great to have that aren't there yet, but they are always making improvements!

Stephanie Ani from Syntax & Salt Magazine

Easy to use submission management system

Pros

Easy to build custom submission pages and link them on main sites or landing pages. Assignment is also very simple, as is setting up new users.

Cons

I'd love it if there were the option to pay per added user over the minimum. We're on a grandfathered plan, which is AWESOME, and I very much appreciate the kindness offered to online literary magazines, but to get up to the 10 user plan we would more than double what we're paying.

Beth from Stockton Rush Bartol Foundation

Industry: Philanthropy

Great solution and a great price

Overall, we saved so much time by using this online platform and our applicants appreciated it as well. The tech support people were responsive and helped us brainstorm solutions to get what we needed. They were awesome!

Pros

This was our first effort at an online application and it went off without a hitch. It is intuitive to both readers/reviewers and applicants. We were able to learn how to manage the application and review process in a few calls to the fabulous Gold Level Support folks. After using paper applications, it was amazing to have all of the information ready to go to readers by the next day. It is also very reasonably priced compared to other solutions so it fit our budget.

Cons

It would be great if reviewers could highlight or tag parts of the application as they read. We had to do some tweaking to be able to close the application at 5:00pm instead of midnight but Submittable has since added this feature. It takes a few steps to generate reports but it is manageable.

Online Submissions Are the Future

Many publishers use Submittable as a way to accept manuscript queries or submissions. There are several advantages to the author. Once you have an account, you can access all of your submissions. That makes it easier to find things again, versus e-mail submissions. And it's faster and cheaper than submitting through the mail, which many publishers don't even accept anymore.

Pros

When submitting queries or manuscripts to publishers, this is a relatively fast and easy method. Because the publisher sets up the fields they want, it's easy to know what you need to include, and where to put it.

Cons

The text windows are small, so when you paste in large blocks of text, you have to scroll to double check or change things.

Stephanie from Center for Literary Publishing

We have used Submittable since 2010 and have been extremely happy with it.

We're able to receive manuscript submissions from all over the world, keep them organized, share them with our team, and respond to writers quickly and efficiently.

Pros

It's very intuitive, widely used in our industry (manuscript submissions), and the customer support team is very responsive.

Tabby from Stirling Publishing

Absolutely fantastic

Too many to count!

Pros

The organisational aspect is a life saver. All our subs in one place, easily seen and a very easy interface. Using submittable gives you an edge. Creatives know that Submittable is used by the very best who will pay a bit extra for a superb, efficient, friendly and professional service. Customer Service is exemplary. Always get back to you quickly and nothing is ever too much for them. Thank you!

Evelyn from Zimbell House Publishing

Industry: Publishing

Submittable allows us to handle all of our calls for submission in a logical, efficient manner.

All the information needed about a submission is in one place. The ability to run multiple calls at the same time is wonderful.

Pros

It's easy to use with a minimal learning curve, and has good customization. It allows you to tailor auto responses, email the submitter, and comment all in one place. everything you need to make a decision is there, and you can archive for easy retrieval.

Cons

Tags could be expanded to include all book genres to enhance the calls for submissions when setting up a category (form). Wish they left forms named as categories, it made more sense, the terminology change from category to forms is confusing.

Matt from Phantom Drift

Submittable has been a godsend for its organizational ease and record-keeping capabilities.

It's a very good system and easy to use. I appreciate it very much.

Pros

It keeps submissions ordered by date, time, etc. and allows for easy decision-making. It has helped in every facet of the submission process and works are easily retrieved and archived.

Thomas from Tin House Magazine

I can no longer imagine running a magazine on any scale without Submittable.

Pros

Cons

Only very rarely, it seems to get overloaded and become slightly slow. Other than that, it's very reliable and has few faults.

Stephen from Willesden Herald

Industry: Publishing

Used for several years, completely trouble-free

I'm in permanent terror of clicking the wrong thing and accidentally accepting or rejecting a submission, but thankfully it sort of double-checks and lets me select which letter to send or create a custom letter.

Pros

Ability to do complex tagging, selections and sorting. Gathers all the information I need together in just the way I need it. Ease of viewing and downloading submissions. Handles the collection of fees transparently, across currencies. Timely, reliable payments by month. Easy to correspond with submitters and team. Team support is excellent too, with different levels of access. Blind reading (keeping entrants anonymous) is indispensible.

Submissions Made Easy

Since I first Submittable after being recommended to use it by a writer colleague, I have loved it and recommended it to others. As someone who has worked in publishing for years, Submittable makes doing submissions 100% easier and saves me countless hours of time, that I can now happily devote to my writing projects.

Pros

As a writer, I absolutely love how easy Submittable makes the submission process to me. I simply on the name of a publication, review what they're looking for, whether they have fees or not, their deadlines, and choose to submit my writing or not, all in an easy to use interface. Also, I can easily review all of the work I've submitted under the submission tab, so I can what was accepted or denied, and keep track of all the publications I've submitted my writing to.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything, because before I found Submittable, I did had to research publications, deadlines and all of the information has at just a click away, by myself.

Rick from Silver Pen Writers

Overall I like the program and it's responsive and easy to use.

Invaluable in receiving submissions for my magazine. Authors seems to love it as well.

Pros

It makes it easy to deal with and keep track of submissions and easy to respond to them and deal with authors. I like that we can keep old submissions (but see below).

Cons

There is no way to do a bulk delete of old submissions I no longer want on file. It is extremely time consuming and tedious to delete old submissions, and I imagine how hard it is for those who receive many more submissions if they even want to delete them. Searches that used to be easy and logical are now awkward to do.

Susan from Glimmer Train Press

The submission system simply works great and the transition went smoothly for us & for our writers.

All of our past issues were beautifully addressed via multiple reading tabs and add-on orders.

Pros

Using it is very straightforward and it is thoroughly reliable. We never have to worry if the system is "up" because it always is.

Elle from IBE Limited

Great single platform to use for submissions!

Pros

One place to submit ALL your applications, and once your account is set up, there is no need to keep re-entering your basic details.

Cons

The format and layout of the applications could be better, as often I have to go back to check details where they should appear on the second screen. The status of application should be more informative too, as often they are not updated with more meaningful information on the status of submitted applications. Equally, it would be great if applications are categorised into active by deadline date, with those that have passed.

Ma Czarina from Center for Asian American Media

A great tool for film program and media asset management

Since starting Submittable earlier this year, the software has helped streamline our organization's film fund application process with its many tools and features. While there is still room for improvement in certain areas (i.e. application form creation), as an account administrator, I am satisfied with the service that the platform provides and I am looking forward to all of the future announcements and updates that Submittable has in store for its clients/users.

Pros

What I really appreciate the most about Submittable is that the platform allows users to create and customize comprehensive forms that aid in capturing vital information provided by applicants. I like how the system organizes submissions and its respective media attachments in a manner that is easy to view, access and compile for future organizational reports. Furthermore, I find that the platform's email automation feature is beneficial for adminstrator-applicant communications.

Cons

I wish that the platform was slightly more intuitive for first-time account administrators such as myself (especially with the many tools and features that come with the system), however, the Submittable FAQ page and great service provided by the Submittable Support Team addresses and makes up for this.

claire from Emrys Foundation

I read and assign mss for review. I also use Submittable for my own work.

Pros

Ease of navigation and simplicity of venue overall for users writers, editors, administrators, etc.

Cons

Its fine. I don't see any problems with it.

Katherine from Sequestrum

Submittable is a fantastic company to work with. I couldn't imagine my business without them.

Pros

It's ease of use. Submittable makes the entire process of reviewing and corresponding with writers simple.

Siri from The Open Notebook

Industry: Writing and Editing

Excellent product, unbelievably good customer service

Pros

Submittable seems to have anticipated just about all the issues that I might have encountered in designing and running a contest. The software is very easy to figure out and runs without a hitch. And the customer service team, which helped me get started using the Gallery function, is beyond compare -- incredibly friendly and helpful. This team is a total pleasure to work with.

Cons

There's really nothing that I don't like about using Submittable. I am 100% satisfied.