Trakstar Reviews

4.44 / 5 (280) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 23 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "Generally easy to use and the support is wonderful. I like using this software and the update email notifications are helpful."

• "Ease of having an electronic system. Very user friendly for Management. We are able to track outstanding appraisals and make sure they are being presented in a timely manner."

• "Ease of use; customer service. The set-up is extremely easy; changing forms is easy."

• Cons

• "Reporting could be a bit better, but it meets the needs."

• "The support videos for using Trakstar are good, but I wish their were slides and non-video aids to help through tutorials as you learn to use Trakstar. "

• "So far, so good. I do think we should be able to print just a summary of one's evaluation instead of 15+pages, but that's my only complaint so far."

Browse Trakstar Reviews

Mark from Blue Fin Bay Resorts

Trakstar is a star!!

Since installation we have drastically improved the consistency and timeliness of staff reviews. Also love the goals and objectives.

Pros

Customer service/support is great. I haven’t had many issues, but when I did support was fast and even followed up a day later to make sure things were still fine. My issues were user related. The software is solid!

Cons

The reporting is a bit limited. Might be nice to have the ability to create some customized reports.

Katie from The Village Bank

Easy to use performance management system

Overall, I think it's a great system and so much better than the one we had before. As mentioned, it's easy to use and to navigate, and the customer service team is very quick to respond to any questions. As an administrator, I love being able to log in as others in order to see what they're seeing - it makes my life easier.

Pros

The best feature about this software is its ease of use. A few of our employees aren't very technologically-minded, and they have no problem navigating the system and completing their reviews. It's simple and straightforward and offers a lot of flexibility.

Cons

We're just starting to use the Goals portion of the software, and, as a company, we're a bit on the conservative side, and we'd rather not have the employees be able to create their own measurements. It's great to have that feature, but there should also be a way to turn it off if we don't want it.

Reasons for Choosing Trakstar

We had a focus group which helped us review and research the different products, and they liked Trakstar the best.

Susan from Nellie Mae Education Foundation

TrakStar Review

It has helped to streamline our review process and we are fine-tuning it with each review cycle to reflect what we are really looking for in a review/performance management tool.

Pros

I find the layout of the software/site to be clean and pretty easy to maneuver around.

Cons

I find the software fairly easy to use - but I think it's more because I am one of the administrators and helped to customize it to our needs and the fact that I use it more often than other staff. We are still trying to get staff to use it more often (for notes, etc.) rather than once/twice a year when doing their reviews.

Reasons for Choosing Trakstar

We liked the cleaner look and we felt it was more conducive to our needs

Grant from Recreation Unlimited

Bad - Horrible UI/UX that you will pay for over and over again

Lot of issues here that I want to point out with this software: 1) This software does not do corrective actions or Performance Improvement Plans, they try to tell you that it does in the sales presentations, but this software does not do it. They will tell you about a work around, but it is so complex and contrived that your managers will never use it, I promise. 2) We were trying to get the software to allow us to do a 6 month check-in, so essentially our managers would be able to meet with our employees halfway to their annual review and check in to see how they were coming along, not to be rated, but just a checkup to see how things were going. Sounds easy, right? Well, you'd be wrong on that too, and so was I. They launched into a super complex work around, which again was way more complex than any of my managers would ever need or be able to use. 3) Whenever I first looked at signing up to use this software, I liked the seemingly easy and simple to use interface that I had seen on demos and on videos on youtube. I thought, well, it's just about loading in positions and job data, then I should be off and running with this system. Well, their estimate for getting setup is typically at least 3 months, that should tell you something. I thought that they would just be doing a lot of hand holding, turns out that what they were really doing is making up for a poor UI and UX in their system. It is next to impossible to anticipate where to go, what to click, etc. They try to make up for it with their training, but it just seemed to frustrate me more that they wouldn't fix the clear weaknesses and complexness of their interface to suit the customer. They would rather spend an hour training you on how to do something super complex, and oh, by the way, if you mention to them that something is complex, unnecessary, or just plain not intuitive, instead of take the feedback, they actually get defensive and back up their reasoning for doing whatever they are doing in a totally illogical and contrived way. They need to take a page from Google and Apple and go back to the drawing board with their system and design something from the ground up that is EASY TO USE. 4) Scoring for employees is extremely complex and contrived, just ask them to show it to you in the sales process, you will see I could write more, but I ran out of room, check out JuvodHR if you are looking for a better solution, that's where I went.

Pros

Not really much to like, to be quite honest

Cons

5) There is this wonderful background jobs pop-up that pops up every time that you do ANYTHING in the application, I'm serious. You have to dismiss it manually every time, it is ridiculous, unnecessary, and very annoying. 6) There is no simple way to have them tie any type of notes or issues with an employee back to a part of their job description that it is supposed to match. Which, is really the basis of why you are keeping records for corrective actions, notices, etc, to protect yourself from an employee if you have to terminate for performance based reasons/issues. 7) If you have employees who don't sit at a desk or have their own computer, this system is not for you. It does not offer you a way to accommodate those employees. Again, they will talk about a solution or work around, but again, don't be fooled, they have no solution here either.

Response from Trakstar

Replied March 2017

It's disappointing to have a customer feel this way. In our exchanges with Grant, I wish we'd been able to find more common ground. Grant, thanks for sharing your thoughts. They are important to us. Sincerely, Julie Rieken

Jill from The William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan

Industry: Research

THRILLED ABOUT TRAKSTAR!

Our rep just provided us the second part of our training via webinar; we asked for "Goals & Notes" to be given last June and finally the "Scoring" given today as we wrap up the performance period. I am VERY pleased with our rep's professionalism, and knowledge about the Trakstar program. The way he guided us through the webinar was wonderful. Many employees and managers have expressed trepidation about the upcoming sequence of events, but our rep broke it down very easily and methodically. Our rep has a very good quality about his delivery of information, his voice, and ease of going through the screens as he proceeds, making the learner feel more confident. I already received the videos he created -- within minutes after completion of the training -- so I'm able to share with the employees and managers who could not attend today's webinar. Thank you! I wish Trakstar would create a "Quick Start Guide for Administrators" as they have for both managers and employees, and then load it on the Support Articles page, but for the meantime I am very pleased to have access to the Support pages, tutorials, videos, etc. and can email Support whenever I have need. I'm grateful about that, too. If you allow me one more "wish list" item would be the ability to change an employee's job title easily throughout the year -- as long as it does not represent a promotion that would affect change of goals, etc. When we've had a change of management, the new manager will come in and request change of titles (not duties, etc.) of his/her direct reports. This need is likely common among certain industries and such a change would be a huge improvement. Thank you for asking for our feedback. Thank you to our rep, for making Trakstar look easy to use to our employees!

Cons

There ought to be a Quick Guide for Administrators; too often I've searched the support pages and did not find precisely what I've wanted, so had to email and did not have direct phone access because we don't pay for that added service. We're three hours apart from each other so there've been a few times that I was not able to get answers as immediately as I would have liked (in an ideal world). LOL.

Response from Trakstar

Replied May 2017

Hi Jill, Thank you so much for the kind words. We really appreciate it. Also, we are taking your suggestion and will be building a "Quickstart Guide" for admins. Great idea! Thanks again, Julie

Beth from Frostburg State University

PMPs Made Easy

The employees complain about performance management; but not about trakstar. I always separate the two. They like trakstar. I do a training called "Tips for Better Appraisals" and integrate the use of trakstar into it and how easy it is to ensure that you will get an excellent review if you utilize the great features availble in trakstar such as the notes and goal tracking.

Pros

Cons

Extra cost for the added features - succession planning

Reasons for Choosing Trakstar

Ease of use; set-up; customer service.

Sara from Marsh & McLennan Agency

Our Organization Loves Trakstar!

Pros

What I like best about this software is that you don't have to set up separate processes for Goal Setting, Mid-Year, or Year-End. Your appraisal is one process that stays open all year long. You can continuously make notes and track progress. I also love the ability to customize the software however you like as well.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like about Trakstar.

Mike from University College - Azusa Pacific University

Trakstar makes annual appraisals as easy as 1 - 2 - 3

This software has enabled us to track employee progress and performance year over year. It has been very valuable to our company as it allows us to archive a history of employee appraisals and doesn't require a paper process. This is a must-have for any business serious about the employee appraisal process.

Pros

I like the ability to set goals, apply company-wide performance metrics and the ability to gather a history of appraisals over time so you can measure and track employee performance.

Cons

The workflow could be a little clearer. Sometimes its confusing how to manage each appraisal. There is a unique archiving system that seems like it should be simpler than it is.

Tim from Church Community Builder

Tell them how you are doing

I like being able to go back and point out certain accomplishments to my employer during my annual review

Pros

When our company started to engage this tool I thought it was silly. I have an appreciation for Trakstar now. It is a place where I can keep track of the many things that get forgotten otherwise. I can go back and review my accomplishments from the beginning of the year and also gain a perspective of my growth in the last 12 months

Cons

the initial learning curve seemed a little steep, but it feels natural at this point

Rebecca from Birkman

Simple, not overly-complicated interface, encourages participation

Easy and fun to use, encourages MUCH more participation than any previous appraisal software I have used (which is usually associated with dread).

Pros

This software encourages you to input updates on your progress every month. This is an EXTREMELY valuable reminder because then you aren't racking your brain at the end of the year trying to remember your accomplishments. You can keep track of them year-round, and when your appraisal is due, the hard part is pretty much done. This helped a lot even for my 90-day appraisal. It breaks everything out among several competencies and it is a very user-friendly, dynamic interface that is kinda fun to use.

Cons

To be honest I cannot think of any criticism for this software.

Jill from WDI

August 2016

Trakstar: GREAT Track Record for Customer Service!

Our company was in need of a performance evaluation software that would be available online and easy enough for our professional but extremely busy (sometimes overwhelmed) staff to learn and use. We used to use the Excel sheets and we needed something that everyone could quickly "pick up" and implement. Fastrak was the most advantageous in meeting our company's needs due to the ease of adding goals, editing the staff list (in times of growth, promotions, turnover, etc.), adding measurements to assist in showing efforts and when goals (or portions of them) were met/completed, and provided reminders to those who neglected deadlines. The last item was essential to those who work in Human Resources and did not want to "badger" nor take responsibility of repeatedly reminding the busy and often traveling supervisors and employees who found it difficult to make time for this important effort.

Pros

I've had top-notch help from your reps who have answered my calls and answered my questions. Your company is also proactive in sharing information via frequent webinars. Matt Weissenborn was very helpful, articulate and professional in his presentation. I enjoy using the Measurement tools in the online software.

Cons

I wish there was a Guide for Administrators -- just as there is one called "Employee Guide" for users. It would take significantly less time to refer to one than to call or try to figure out something myself (trial/error). I would like a means to SEE the individual's goals without having to download to export.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Jill, Many thank for your review. Love to hear the things that have helped - like emails that helped keep things on track. Also, great to hear our support team has been top-notch. I love your ideas - so many good ones I won't repeat them here in my response, and I will promise to add them to our feature discussion board. As a company, we review every single suggestion to see patterns and try to improve. Thanks again! --Julie Rieken

Lisa from AHRI

Great performance appraisal program

We are a small non-profit association with about 85 active employees. We use TrakStar for our annual performance appraisal program . Our program is designed to have every employee receive a review at the same time each year, rather than each year on their annual anniversary. We also have a 90-day initial review, and a 6-month informal review.

Pros

This software is relatively uncomplicated for the regular employee, especially since they have redesigned the appearance. Training on the system does not take long and there are several helpful videos to provide assistance to staff and administrators. I find it to be pretty intuitive. In most cases there are some options for customizing your performance appraisal and the cycle. They also have several opportunities for training of administrators through webinars (live and pre-recorded) and these are really useful.

Cons

I do wish there were more flexibility in customization and that it was easier to reach some of the relevant customer service videos; however, the customer service team (if you can reach them by phone) is very responsive and helpful.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Lisa, Such a nice, thoughtful review. You're using a lot of Trakstar, and that's awesome. I love that the videos have been helpful and that you've joined our webinars! We're re-designing our support site as we speak Will you let me know if you find things to be easier once we release the changes? We'd love your feedback. Thanks again, Julie Rieken

Nancy from East Bay Agency for Children

An Excellent Idea with some rough edges

Trakstar is an excellent idea. It allows employees and managers equal time in the appraisal process, which has been lacking in employee appraisal since the beginning of time. As a manager it is quite helpful for an employee to weigh in on their performance. Too often we have no idea how the employee sees their performance until we are having 'the talk'. Trakstar could be a little more user friendly, it is not always intuitive in the way it works and can be cumbersome for the administrator when trying to fix mistakes that managers make. It would be an excellent addition if the manager were not allowed to Archive for agencies that still rely on paper for the employees personnel files. we use the 'archive' button to indicate that the signed appraisal has been received in HR to signal that the process is complete. It would also be helpful if we could set up an agency wide appraisal two level system where the employee first gets a 6 month New Employee appraisal, and when archived Trakstar would auto generate the next appraisal in the Annual mode, instead of the 'new employee' mode again. The last thing I can think of now, is the period of time our annual appraisals encompass. Right now the auto generated Annual appraisals have a date parameter based on the employees date of hire, and that is good for some. However, we use a fixed date system based on our fiscal year, and each time a new appraisal is generated i have to go into Trakstar and 'fix' the dates to our parameters. Thanks for this excellent product; with just a couple of tweaks, it could be FANTASTIC! (for us)

Response from Trakstar

Replied March 2016

Hi Nancy, Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We love that Trakstar allows both managers and employees the opportunity to contribute around performance. We'll also take your suggestion on archiving to heart. Fwiw, we designed the Archiving process to allow managers the discretion about when to share the content with the employee. Some like to do it in advance of the meeting, some afterwards - and we felt they should be the ones to decide. That said, we have heard your request. I can promise that we'll bring that forward at our next company-wide feature meeting. Last, some of the things you mention *I think* might be possible/solvable by design in Trakstar (fixed dates, 6 month to Annual.) I hope you won't mind if I have someone reach out to you? Thank you again, and feel free to connect with me directly if you'd like! Take care, Julie

August 2016

Allyson from MedAscent Communications Group, Inc.

Increased efficiency - definite ROI

Have had a wonderful experience with Trakstar; it gives the employees the access they need through out the year to work towards their goals and development. Managers are able to work more efficiently and put accountability in the hands of the employee.

Pros

The efficiency of the workflow and the way we can customize it to our needs.

Cons

I would like to see a better org chart!

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Allyson, Thanks so much for your great review. I'm amused that you liked the "Julie from Trakstar" sessions...that's me! Cool. I love your suggestion on the org chart. I promise to add it to our feature discussion board. As a company, we review every single idea to find patterns and ways we can improve. Keep in touch and let us know how we can help as your needs evolve, and thanks again. Take care, Julie Rieken

Aimee from Branches, Inc

A bare-bones performance mgmt tool for organizations ready to upgrade but can't afford the big guns.

See my review - it focused on competencies, so as an organization looking to be more progressive, we were ready to use it.

Pros

Focus on competencies - which many other cheap - to - affordable products don't offer.

Cons

You can't customize the appraisal process. It's either the formal appraisal (with ratings) or a 'goal setting' function. So, it won't work for orgs like mine who tend to do a mid-year 'check-in' as opposed to the full appraisal process. Customer service is slow, email only really, and not always helpful in giving you a complete solution. They also do not do 360s which is something we've begun to do at my org. Also, if you are not focusing on competencies, as an org--which I'm certain MANY are not, I'm not at all sure how you would use this tool.

Response from Trakstar

Replied September 2017

Hi Aimee, Thank you so much for leaving this review! Our customer's feedback is so important. I do want to mention that, as an administrator, 360 reviews can be enabled in your Trakstar site and we'd be happy to walk you through what that set up looks like. In addition, we might be able to offer some insight and take your feedback on how to have a more flexible review process by utilizing Trakstar's open ended questions and flexible rating scales features. Thank you again for taking the time to leave this review and we hope we can help make your review process match what you're looking for!

Danielle from Rhiza

Trakstar Review

I've really enjoyed having Trakstar as our performance review tool. With each UI update it gets better and better. It's not overly complicated so my employees aren't confused by how to go in take notes, track goals, and score reviews. All I have to do is remind them about due dates and they're on their way!

Pros

Just the right amount of features so employees aren't overwhelmed Email notifications/reminders Ability to set different goals per employee with different weightings Reports

Cons

I wish the admin portal was more user friendly. You have to figure out work arounds for certain things that can become time consuming. I also wish (for admins) you didn't have to "log in as user" every time you want to look at the progress of employee reviews. You should be able to just click an employees name and their current review with notes/comments/scores updated should appear.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Danielle, Thanks so much for the review. We really appreciate it! Your words about the UI improving really make us feel good...we've been working on that upgrade for a while and were so excited to share it. I hear you on logging in as a user to do certain things. It's not easy to keep things confidential and provide security, and this is something we will add to our group discussion for improvement. Thanks for sharing. Take care, Julie Rieken

Mike from Los Angeles Pacific University

Trakstar is rich in substance for managing performance appraisals

I manage a team with some shared goals as well as individual goals. Trakstar allows me to work with my employee to track their progress throughout the year. This allows for more shared accountability among the employees and me as their manager. It has helped me to keep not only my staff on track with their goals, but it keeps me on track with my own performance goals. Trakstar is unique and a valuable tool to any company wanting to provide meaningful performance goals while seeing positive results.

Pros

I really like how you can both individualize performance goals AND cascade collective goals per employee. This makes for a very convenient system when you have group goals and individual goals for your staff. Trakstar also gives a sense of accountability to employees to update notes on their progress towards performance goals. The monthly reminders to enter notes are wonderful!

Ana from Aptitude Health

Highly recommendable

We implemented Trakstar a little over a year ago now and as our organization has now completed the annual appraisal cycle, I am ready to review the software. What I want to say first and foremost is, I can very highly recommend Trakstar. It is a very user friendly tool that has made our performance management process much easier on all users. The Trakstar team were excellent at advising and supporting us throughout the configuration and implementation. Nothing was impossible. They came back on all our questions in a very clear and timely manner and provided the employee and manager trainings for our team. We received many compliments from manager and employees on the quality of the training and trainer (Lauren Fish in our case). Thanks to this tool, our performance management process is more dynamic and streamlined. It is a big relief to no longer have paper forms going around, different versions, etc. Our employees find it much easier with Trakstar and so far all I've heard is positive from accross our organization. It makes life much easier for the HR Department too. As a Trakstar administrator you can easily see where everyone is in the process and can send automatic reminders if needed. Trakstar also produces awesome reports that have proved very valuable during calibration. You can see at a glance whether there may be any rater bias, etc, and can signal accordingly. All in all, really fantastic tool that has met and even exceeded our expectations. We look forward to continue working with Trakstar!

Response from Trakstar

Replied March 2016

Hello Ana, It is so nice to hear from you. Thank you for the recommendation, and for specifically mentioning Lauren Fish. We really like her, too. As things continue to evolve and you need adjustments to timing, processes, forms, emails...anything, please let us know and we'll be happy to help. Again, thank you! Julie Rieken

Tony from Concentric

Performance management made simple!!

Trakstar's Performance Appraisal software that will help your organization manage feedback, goals, and reviews. You can also build customized appraisal forms, set SMART goals, and create flexible workflows to meet the needs of your organization. If you are looking for a new way to set goals and review performances, this is a great product to use.

Pros

We switched to Trakstar a while back for performance reviews and this product is extremely easy to use. It is visually appealing, has intuitive interface, and actually makes 1:1 meetings and performance reviews something to look forward to. We were unsatisfied with our old product and were looking for a program to make our reviews easier to perform, and Trakstar has made that process enjoyable.

Cons

When we first moved to Trakstar I felt that it was a bit clunky and hard to move around in Trakstar. Their new design, their customer service, and my continued usage have helped tremendously. Great product and Service!!

Suzzanne from Cydcor

Newer Trakstar User - we love it!

We recently implemented Trakstar and this is the first time that we're using it for our annual review cycle. Every team member went through PA training, which included learning about Trakstar. The feedback so far has been great - it's easy to use, intuitive, and will make the process so much easier than what we've done in the past (a form we created in Excel!). As an administrator I've reached out lots of times to Trakstar's support group with questions about reports, functionality, etc. They are super responsive, great to work with, and have helped me find some work-arounds for things that we needed for our company. This tool is a GREAT VALUE. The implementation was very easy, went quickly, and we were able to deliver an online tool that we had not originally planned to do this year. We're looking forward to learning more and make the most out of Trakstar.

Pros

Ease of implementation, ease of use. The price is great. Our team members have picked up on it quickly.

Cons

We have some specific reporting needs that Trakstar doesn't have. It's okay, we've found workarounds.

Response from Trakstar

Replied November 2016

Suzanne, Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled to work with you and Cydcor. I'm glad your people have responded well to training and that our support team has been helpful to you. We plan to work on our reports this year so I'd love to know about your needs. Please stay in touch and thanks again for your review! Kind regards, Julie Rieken

Ali from ABC Financial

Great Performance Tool

Great Performance product, dedicated customer service team, has helped our organization tremendously!

Pros

Customization of review forms, review types, competencies, approval routes, and dedicated customer support team who always responds within 24 hours of a general issue, and within an hour of two of high importance issues.

Cons

Wish it was an all in one solution for HR/payroll/performance so we had everything in one place

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Ali, Your review is fantastic, and we appreciate it. We're so glad to have ABC Financial with Trakstar. Please continue working with us as your needs evolve, we're happy to be there. Yes...all-in-one...I hear you. We're going to add new things in 2017 and will continually work to improve. Take care, Julie Rieken

August 2010

Maree from Waitaki District Council (New Zealand)

August 2010

TrakStar's Performance Rates Highly

Apart from the 'cons' noted above, the product is extremely well thought out, well researched, well supported and user friendly and I would definitely recommend it.

Pros

TrakStar mirrored our existing paper-based Performance Review process so was easy to 'sell' to our staff when it was first installed. The improvements over the years have made it even more user-friendly. Support is fantastic, and even though we are half-way around the world Glenn makes sure he answers my queries as promptly as he can - sometimes within an hour! Administratively, I really like the fact the system is so adaptable and easy to modify to meet the changing needs of our reviews. The reporting facility is also a bonus - I can report 'delinquents' to senior management and provide real-time information very quickly. The Promantek team listen to critiques and act on popular suggestions to make the system a better product.

Cons

There aren't many cons, I have enquired about having a page to list non-rateable items such as future aspirations, training needs, and barriers to improvement, and have been told these are on the development plan for future upgrades. Also our staff have said that the 1-5 rating system feels too restrictive, and that a 1-8 or 1-10 system may be more flexible. Personally I think 1-10 is too much, and a 1-7 rating system feels about right. I haven't enquired about this with Promantek so don't know if it can (or will) be changed or not.

Jeremy from Passport

We hoped for better!

We originally selected Trakstar because it was affordable and the demo given to us was good overall. Though this product does the basics, it is still extremely outdated and lacks a lot of intuition. The reports are all saved as PDF's or you can export excel documents. The excel docs are a major mess for the most part and will leave you with hours more work editing them. Once you get everyone's assessment, you have to load the PDF into the employee's folder so that they can see their grade. Though the rating dashboard is decent, viewing your individualized grading metrics afterwards is nowhere near as user-friendly. The product lacks many simple features that we're just forgotten during its build. You cannot update your grading scale without going into EVERY SINGLE COMPETENCY manually and changing your grading scale (ie. going from a 5-point grading scale to a 4-point grading scale, etc.). Basically, there is no way to mass-edit a lot of things in the system. I hope you have someone on your team that has days worth of time to manage this system. The 360-review capabilities are even more difficult. As an admin of your organization system, you can't send out 360 reviews unless you log in as that specific manager's manager. Yes, you will have to continuously click links to log in as another user in order to edit (or even view) that person's appraisal. We've also had a lot of issues with grading schemes not working properly and various bugs popping up frequently, impacting our entire review cycle. The support team is VERY small and leads to long response times which gets crazy in the middle of your review cycle. The new UI is pretty, but the UX still lacks a lot of intuition. Unfortunately, Trakstar is a lot of form over function at this point. They need to hire a good UI/UX guy and a senior engineer to fix some things and then I would maybe suggest using it.

Pros

Affordable, decent design (UI, not UX)

Cons

Difficult UX, can't pull many of the reports you would need, doesn't give you many meaningful insights at all, lots of bugs, slow response by support (they have a very small team), almost every process is manual and takes a LONG time to make changes in the system due to this issue

Response from Trakstar

Replied November 2016

Hi Jeremy, I am very sorry to hear your experience. You have quite a bit of important feedback. I think it might be best if you and I were to speak over the phone. I'd love to better understand your needs and be able for us to connect personally. I'll reach out to you now to learn more. Thanks for your honesty, perhaps we can better understand your needs soon. Kind regards, Julie Rieken

Kirstie from Kane (Bermuda) Limited

TRAKSTAR IS AWESOME!!

Trakstar is so user friendly and meets all of the needs of our employees and managers in our jurisdictions across the globe. The service team are so knowledgeable and so responsive, no matter what they are asked and the support page is full of great information! The webinars on offer also provide valuable training on how to make our administrator tasks easier! Love that!!! Recommendations for consideration in any future changes: 1) I would ask that the "carry forward goals, measurements etc" when a manager is archiving, be defaulted to yes, rather than having to choose every time. 2) Have a link to access the support page after you sign in to the system so that you don't have to open a new page or log out. 3) Increase the size of the Appraisal's window for admins.....we have so many employees that the scroll bar doesn't go down far enough and we can't see all of the employees...we have to print the list in order to see the entire list.

Response from Trakstar

Replied March 2016

Hi Kirstie, Thank you so much for your fantastic review. I'm glad Trakstar works for your organization in lots of places worldwide. I also love your suggestions. Here's what I can promise. We track and bring forward every customer suggestion as we build features and determine direction. We do this bi-annually at a Trakstar meeting we call "Festivus." (Seinfeld fan?) At this meeting, we bring forward all ideas and vet them based on demand and need. While we can't promise to act on every idea from all customers, I *can* promise your ideas will be heard by the group. And, fwiw, all of your suggestions are great ones!! Thanks again, Kirstie. Cheers, Julie Rieken

Grigor from Farmlands Co-operative

September 2015

Trakstar - a solution that delivers results!

We were initially using Trakstar in one part of our business and then as we merged, we made the decision to expand its use across the entire organisation (approx. 1280 people) 12 months on, our leaders and team members now confirm they find the software easy to use and that Trakstar provides them a flexible tool, to support their regular development conversations. The flexibility within the system is great and people are able to tailor KPI's and measurements dependent on their roles and employment. Managers can monitor and track individual reports with ease and staff are telling us they are having more regular coaching and feedback sessions. Because we felt confident in the system, we made the decision to further extend our use of Trakstar and integrate our Competency Framework (via Job Families) into every persons appraisal. This has worked exceptionally well and we now have a reliable system that is flexible to our needs, easy to use and that aligns behaviors from Executive level through to team member level. Our end result is our people are using Trakstar to set realistic measurements and hold regular feedback conversations in support of personal development and business performance. The 'icing on the cake' has been the support from Trakstar staff. When we merged organisations we were naturally cautious as we discussed our needs. We need not have worried and the level of customer service can only be described as 'outstanding'. We would have no problems at all in recommending Trakstar as solution that delivers results - at all levels. Well done Trakstar and the team - you have delivered as promised!

March 2015

Brenda from Sunny Hills Services

Industry: Philanthropy

March 2015

Trakstar has greatly improved our appraisal completion rate.

Pros

As administrator, I can update competencies in multiple jobs simultaneously. Trakstar also has the capability to send customized emails to staff to remind them to take certain actions. The best advantage for me is I can run reports to see which appraisals are in progress, finished, etc. It makes it very easy to follow up with staff and ensure they complete appraisals on time. When we used paper appraisals we had about a 10% completion rate. Now, we are near 100%.

Cons

It isn't intuitive for all our staff. Some have embraced it and use it successfully throughout the year, but others only access it once or twice a year and have trouble navigating it.

Kelly from System Six Bookkeeping

Endlessly Customizable

Pros

So far, this software has been endlessly customizable for how we want to use it to give our employees their semi-annual reviews. Trakstar's support team provided me, as an administrator, with a very good basis for how to use the system and they've been very responsive with all the questions I've had as we've utilized the software more and more. As we've been using it, we've changed how we originally thought we would use it for employees, and so far every single thing we've wanted to use it for it has been able to do either with changes I can make on the back end, or with changes the support team has been happy to help me do. Our employees appreciate a consistent review form to work from and they really like the goals section as a reminder of what their own personal goals and objectives are for what will take them to the next level as a member of our team.

Response from Trakstar

Replied March 2016

Hi Kelly, Thank you so much for your review! I love the title of your review, "Endlessly Customizable." Flexibility is one of the highlights of Trakstar - we want the system to match the needs of our customers! As time goes by and your needs evolve, we'll be pleased to help make any adjustments you made need. Kind regards, Julie Rieken P.S. Hello from all of us here at Trakstar.

Jonelle from IMS

I'm happy with TrakStar.

For the money, TrakStar meets my needs.

Pros

I have confidence in TrakStar and am happy with the customer support I have received. My managers have no problem accessing information and are happy with the review process.

Cons

I would like to have the abiity to write reports. I wish the org chart was more user friendly - for me it isn't really usable.

Higher Educational - Trakstar Review

The Customer Service experience is the best. They are very responsive by both phone and email.

Pros

The ease of use is the best feature of the software.

Cons

The goals - we had to do a work around and are using "measurements," and although this works, it makes it a little touchy when it comes to referring new users to the Trakstar support pages.

dominique from Azusa Pacific University College

August 2016

Trakstar brings the stars to light!

We were using the canned performance review process that our payroll company provided and were extremely unhappy with it's lack of flexibility. Trakstar gave us options that did not exist with our payroll vendor. We decided to go with Trakstar even though we were paying for the service with our payroll provider.

Pros

Ease of use as an administrator. The ability to be the "user" and see what they see.

Cons

Have not yet stumbled upon anything that we do not like.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Dominique, I love the title of your review, makes me smile! You've said so many kind things, I just want to thank you for all of them. Please continue to keep in touch and send us your ideas for improvement. Really. I like to hear. Take care, Julie Rieken

Sabrina from C-Gate Consulting Group

2018 Review - Consultant perspective

Implemented Trakstar as a Consultant across 2 companies with very different use-cases - interesting experience in getting 2 work with 2 firms where I play very different roles (Firm 1: acting as Administrator and Manager - latter of which necessitates a lot of changes as I cannot be the de facto Manager; Firm 2: there will be Managers taking over the actual role, Goals and Notes will be used, etc.)

Pros

Flexibility to be rolled out for HR internal and consultants working on Human Capital initiative Pricing model when considering getting multi-rater feedback from external sources Mix between preset competencies and allowance to customize Relatively user-friendly compared to other products Flexibility in turning on/off features My rep and the experience of the support team

Cons

a lot of hidden layers in compiling review forms the initial set up where nobody talks to you before you upload that excel spreadsheet outlining the cohort groups - this was confusing at best and was the first touch-point with Trakstar - even if you attach a quick recording being a bit more granular on what is required there lack of easy tracking capabilities of people completing reviews (as you get close to deadline and need to cat-herd individuals) reporting is bit complex (that could just be me though) would be great to get some guidance on resourcing this platform for perhaps a few different use cases

February 2012

Corrie from RTC of Southern Nevada

February 2012

RTC Review

Overall I think this is a great product, and I have really enjoyed working with it and using it. We are in the process of looking into the Export/Sync feature and purchasing that to link into our HRIS system and cut down some of the manual entry into TrakStar. We have gotten lots of positive feedback from our management/supervisory team and overall as an agency, we have been very happy with the product.

Pros

TrakStar has had huge success within our agency. We are a government agency and have special guidelines due to our union contract on how we process evaluations. But even with those rules and requirements TrakStar was extremely easy to implement and use for our staff.

Cons

Would love to see Plans and Evals scheduled at the same time. Our supervisors are required to submit goals in the plan and the evaluation as one document, not as two separate process. Currently using the draft plan feature to work around this, but would be nice to have it scheduled for them in their task list. Would also like to see rating scores that do not round. Our evaluations are done on a 3, 4, or 5 rating scale, with no decimal places. We have again worked around the decimal places by hand writing in the appropriate score on the printed copy of the eval, but this is a very inefficient process for us.

Bill from Westcoast Family Centres

Easy to make changes to formats

Pros

Cons

Some things need support help to change and a few better reports needed. Additional customizable reports would be helpful

October 2009

Ron from Penn Line Service, Inc.

October 2009

Efficient and Effective Performance Appraisal Solution

Excellent! The ability to customize goals, factors and ratings is designed well.

Pros

-The software program is very "user friendly." Our employees were able to "go live" with minimal training. -I decided to go with this performance management tool because of the unique ability to tailor it to our position-specific needs. It provides a common structure yet allows the competency design-differentiation necessary in each of our four distinctly different business units. -We have adopted this system at both exempt and non-exempt levels. -The program is not intimidating to those employees with little computer experience. Going live with TrackStar has actually helped some of our mature managers gain computer skills. -TrackStar technical support has never failed to respond when we needed them. -I researched and priced several other popular computer-based performance appraisal products, and undoubtedly, TrackStar is the most economical. We saved thousands of dollars going with TrackStar and are very happy with the system.

Cons

On occasion, the system has been slow due to heavy traffic. Lately we haven't had this problem. I think upgrades for capacity are managed pretty well now.

Mike from Power Grid Engineering LLC

Industry: Utilities

August 2016

Looking for an easy way to "Trak" goals and performance - Trakstar is your tool!

With the company size @ about 250 employees, Trakstar is a great tool to help in the performance management process. The versatility allows for the set up of multiple processes and variations in the various job roles in our organization.

Pros

It's quick clicks and video help library

Cons

Would like to have more interface with HRIS system

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

H Mike, Thanks so much for your review! I'm glad Trakstar has helped with your Performance management process, and that the video help library has been useful to you. If you find we can help in any way with additional support or training, please let us know. It's all included. Take care, Julie Rieken

Hillary from Volunteers of America Northern Rockies

Trakstar Rocks!

Trakstar has helped streamline our performance review process and provided an opportunity to rethink our evaluation structure. Trakstar has excellent customer service and make it easy to go live. It has been an enjoyable process and now our reviews are less burdensome for the supervisors and HR department.

Pros

Easy access from anywhere, ease of making adjustment or changes, incorporating organizational goals, employee input, on-going feedback, pricing is reasonable, access to training videos...

Cons

It will be nice if additional components are options such as compensation manager, tracking applications, those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Hillary, Love the title of your review, "Trakstar Rocks!" I think your review rocks... :-) I love hearing about the various successes you've had, from rethinking evals to great customer service to streamlining...all good. I also LOVE your idea of comp tracking. I can't promise exact new features (I can say there are good things in the works!) but I can say we are definitely exploring comp tracking to learn more. It's on our radar, too. Thanks again for the kind words, Julie Rieken

Melissa from Apollo Bank

Trakstar is the BEST!

I have been utilizing Trakstar for the past 5 years and as an organization we have grown that this tool just seems to get better & better. I can't imagine having to do paper performance appraisals ever again. I love the notes taking feature (which we use year round) and the flexibility to design your own form, rating scale and approval paths.

Pros

Easy to use (administratively and as a user).

Cons

Reporting could be a bit better, but it meets the needs.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Melissa, Thank you for the great review and for noticing all of the improvements we've been working on at Trakstar. Just so you know, we are working on some new reports in 2017, too! Again, thank you. --Julie Rieken

Amy from RWCA

March 2016

I am just setting up Trakstar in my organisation now but my first few experiences have been great!

We are just implementing Trakstar now so I have limited hands on experience with the product aside from uploading our users and having an initial 'play' in the system while we develop job descriptions and template plans etc. So far I am really enjoying the library of competencies which will help us develop our plans. I also am finding the set up of the email alerts etc. Being able to set up a template for a particular position is invaluable in our business but obviously the need to tailor is important and driven off coaching conversations. Trakstar is allowing us both the structure and the freedom to tailor which is great. If there could be the ability to tailor for each employee reminders for the managers that would be great. For example if we have an employee who requires fortnightly catch ups then being able to set up a reminder for that compared to his/her peer in the same 'position' but who needs only quarterly catch ups.

Response from Trakstar

Replied March 2016

Hi Amy, Thank you for your review! I'm glad you have had a good experience with Trakstar so far. We'd love to understand more about individual reminders. Trakstar has that ability - but before I say they can work for you, let's make sure we understand your requirements. I hope it will be okay if someone reaches out to you to learn more. Thanks again for your review! Kind regards, Julie Rieken

Julie from TechMD

From implementation to follow up customer support, the customer service experience has been fantastic

Pros

The ease of making custom changes once you know how to navigate the platform. You can even create ad hoc appraisals as needed.

Cons

That there is no group setting for multi-raters where we can invite all members or certain teams to be multi-raters. Instead you have to add multi-raters from a drop down one by one which can be tedious.

Jim from Basco Manufacturing

Customer Service Experience

Trakstar continues to be an impressive system. Not only is it very simple and logical (and I could write a review just on that), but Customer Service is quick with resolutions. I wanted to get more information when I downloaded reports from the Appraisal Screen and Lauren in Customer Service helped me understand the process right away, and then even offered to just quickly put something together on her end which met my needs. In the span of 30 seconds, she had updated a report with additional fields showing scoring which helped greatly. This is the kind of Customer Service that we all want with so many things... 1) phone is answered quickly, 2) Reps show genuine interest in understanding your situation, 3) They look to explain how you can fix this yourself so you better understand the system, and then offer to take care of it for you to make it easier for you at that moment. As a company we are still learning many things about Trakstar, but so far we are impressed with the product, implementation, and ease of use.

Response from Trakstar

Replied April 2016

Hi Jim, Just a note to thank you for your review of Trakstar! You've said many kind things, and we appreciate both your words and Basco as a customer. Feel free to reach out to me if there is anything you'd like for me to know or for us to improve upon. Kind regards, Julie Rieken

Kathy from DPS

Minor Annoyances, but Good Software

Very user friendly. Occasionally things get annoying, like the pop-up video every time you login lately, that says "Welcome to Trakstar's New Look", but it's a minor complaint.

Pros

Anything I want to do, I can usually do.

Cons

Ad hoc reviews- it automatically sets the dates for a 3-day review period and I have to fix it every time.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Kathy, Thanks so much for your review! We really appreciate it! Yeah, that pop-up video. We can disable that for you! Emails are annoying, but you are right, they help keep things on track. Thanks again for the review! --Julie Rieken

February 2016

Aaron from Jackson Energy Authority

February 2016

Trakstar's performance appraisal software has been a very positive addition to Jackson Energy Author

Some of the pros include more efficiency in the overall assessment process, greater control and oversight from HR, enhanced reporting features, ease of use, and electronic storage of historical data. A con would be the need for enhancements to some of the administrator's functions. It would be a great enhancement for the administrator to be able to select an employee's name from the Appraisal icon and then see the appraisal currently being scored. Also, when running a rater bias report you can see the scores for all direct reports to a supervisor, but when you select 'View Appraisal' it only provides a blank copy of the appraisal without notes or scores. Another con is when an approver declines an assessment the programs requests a note and then the note is then placed in the 'Send for Approval' section. The note would be more easily found if it was viewable when entering the Workshop screen. Overall, we have been very pleased with the Trakstar program, but additional enhancements are always welcomed.

Response from Trakstar

Replied February 2016

Hi Aaron, Thanks for your review of Trakstar and your great suggestions. It's wonderful to know the things our customer find useful. We have a quarterly gathering where all employees can suggest features. We promise to bring your ideas to the table for future improvements. Thanks again, Julie

Kim from Schipper groep

March 2016

Getting to a higher level with Trakstar!

We have been working with Trakstar for a few months now. In this first period, we ran a first cycle of appraisals. All went very well and on the moments we needed help our consultant was always there to help. The software is easy to use and our users are very fond of the possibilities. The scoring of the appraisals went smoothly and I, as an admin, was able to pitch in where needed to help and guide an appraisal through the system. We are however still struggling a bit with the process of adding personal goals in relations to the bigger organizational strategic targets; that process and the follow up of those personal goals could be made a little easier for the user. Next to that it would also be great if we could allow our users to see the (anonymous) feedback they've received in their own account. Long story short; Good software, great costumer service and still some room for improvement to stay on top of the game!

Response from Trakstar

Replied March 2016

Hi Kim, Thank you so much for the review! We love to hear that things have been going well, and I'm glad that you work with our Dutch reseller, Dries Vinke. He's great! We are actively working on improving the goals experience for our customers. We are excited to bring new ideas to the table, perhaps by year's end. Again, thank you! Kind regards, Julie Rieken

Sara from Slater Hanifan Group

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Great customer service

Great customer service through live demo to implementation and going live in Trakstar. Deadlines given were met and when a last minute change after going live was needed, customer service was able to get the mass edit uploaded before the time we were originally told so we were able to get back on track quicker than expected. That was greatly appreciated!

Pros

Easy to use, great format that is familiar to most everyone due to social media, employee folder having the ability to contain a multitude of uploaded files including past reviews prior to the electronic system.

Cons

Employee acknowledgement of appraisal does not actually show an electronic signature on the printed appraisal so unless the employee manually signs the appraisal it is difficult to show an employee acknowledged their appraisal for HR documentation purposes.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Sara, I love the title of your review, "Great Customer Service." Thank you. It's a point of pride for us to hire high EQ, high empathy people who can connect and understand the needs of others. I'm glad that has been your experience. Good feedback on the employee acknowledgement. I promise to add your thoughts to our feature discussion board. We consider every single thing we hear from customers and use the feedback to find patterns for improvement. Keep in touch and let us know how we help. Take care, Julie Rieken

Jenni from CESA #1

Trakstar 2016 Review

I moved from a "normal" user to an administrative user and Trakstar has been amazing! It is very simple to explain to new hires, and with the videos and documentation available, navigating through the site is a breeze.

Pros

I actually like the majority of the features. I think that others being able to leave comments on your work is very helpful come review time; it makes what you are saying to your performance stronger. Another thing I like is how you can group topics together and write a reflection, but then not post it until you're ready to - very convenient!

Cons

When I wrote my first reflection, I had a little trouble in posting a reflection when I only wanted to take a note. Once I figured out how to do it correctly, it was no problem. If there were more detailed instructions on the difference between the two, that would be helpful.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Jenni, Thanks so much for the great review! I love that your move to being an admin was easy. So great to hear! Keep in touch as you move forward, we're pleased to help as needed. Also, we'll take a closer look at how we explain notes. Easy to fix. :-) Take care, Julie Rieken

October 2013

Teri from American Society of Anesthsiologists

October 2013

Good for the Price

This is a good basic system that does not have all the bells and whistles of something like Success Factors or Halogen. The pros are that it is much less expensive than those systems, fairly easy to learn, and covers the basics of an online performance management system pretty well. Unfortunately, we found the implementation process to lack enough support (there is the feeling that they just want you to put it in an not ask any questions), and the system to have some fairly non-user-friendly processes (some of them really don't make any sense at all, and we are getting a lot of questions from users who get "stuck" because of them). Overall, good for the price.

Response from Trakstar

Replied November 2013

We've been privileged to work with this customer and wish we could have met all of their expectations without any hiccups. After this review, we immediately contacted this customer to discuss anything we could do to rectify the situation as one of our core tenants is to provide exceptional customer service. Their feedback helped us identify a few areas that we have since improved. While we can't guarantee every implementation will be perfect, we do the best we can to provide our customers the highest quality support we can offer, and we're improving all the time. Thanks Teri for this review, it's an opportunity for us to grow. David CEO

Ariel from Winston Industries

Keeps me organized

Trakstar helps me stay organized with all of my 200+ reviews that are due throughout the year. It is very user-friendly for all skill levels.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Ariel, Yes, with 200+ reviews, I'm so glad you have a tool like Trakstar. Thanks for your great review and for being our customer. As your needs evolve, keep in touch so we can be helpful! Take care, Julie Rieken

Michelle from Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe

Trakstar is a Rockstar

The staff at Trakstar are always helpful with any problems or issues. They offer great tutorials and webinars and are prompt in responding to any questions.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Michelle, Thank you for a great review. I'm so glad you specifically called out the tutorials and webinars, and our staff. We are glad those resources have been helpful to you! Take care, Julie Rieken

Kelsi from Greenpoint Technologies

Industry: Architecture & Planning

User Friendly

I always have a great experience with Trakstar. The feedback from our managers and employees is always positive. Every time I call into their Customer Support, they are very friendly and I get the answer I need in a quick manner.

Pros

User Friendly.

Cons

We have not found the reporting to be useful for what we are looking for.

Response from Trakstar

Replied August 2016

Hi Kelsi, Thanks so much for the review. e appreciate it and I'm so glad our support has been helpful. As for reports, I would LOVE to know more about what would be useful...we're taking a look at reporting in 2017. Can you and I connect? Take care, Julie Rieken

Sharon from PrimeRevenue

September 2015

From training to the day-to-day usage it has been a supremely an AWESOME tool!!

Wow! Not sure where to begin.....From training all the way to day-to-day usage, our experience has been smooth & seamless. Our trainer, Kalley Anderson was awesome! She was very knowledgeable of the product, she delivered the information in a simplistic manner, and equipped my manager and I with all we needed to use this product with finesse on a daily basis. In the few instances where I've needed to contact your support team, their response time was an issue and even then a quick email to Kalley gave me the urgent answer I needed quicker than your support team could provide it. Overall, I love this product and your staff has been amazing!!! Note.....customer service rating above should have been 4 stars due to delayed wait times from your support team/help desk but I scored you 5-stars because Kalley stood in the gap for your support team and made it happen!!!

Response from Trakstar

Replied September 2015

Sharon, Thanks so much for the review. I'm very glad Kalley was able to help you, and that your experience overall has been a good one. We'll keep an eye on wait times which are typically low, but some days can be busy! Again, thanks for the feedback and if there is anything we can do to help again, let us know. Kind regards, Julie Rieken, CEO, Trakstar