Zenefits

Zenefits Reviews

RATING:

• icon"I like the functionality, easily understood layout, and the ability to access a robust training and HR library at any time."
  • icon"Adding their payroll integration was a big win since our company was using a 401(k) admin that required manually keying in EVERYTHING back when we used intuit for payroll."
  • icon"We use this software for one of our clients and I love the benefits integration."
  • icon"Support team is vague and unclear with resolutions. Submitting receipts is ridiculous, they reject receipts without context."
  • icon"This is a problem I have noticed over the past 3-4 months."
  • icon"This is so unacceptable. The product itself is clunky, disjointed and not at all intuitive."

All Zenefits Reviews

Shawn

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

June 2022

HR & Benefits Administration for the Small Business

Shae

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

-Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce -Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry -Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper! -Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave. -Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses. -ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution. -Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one. Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons

I would love it if the custom email triggers were built out with greater functionality. Right now I highly utilize this tool but I see the opportunity for additional growth. The site should have a support number listed in the event of an outage. Right now you can only access support if you are logged into the dashboard.

Reasons for choosing Zenefits

Best product year-over-year when I go to market. Best in terms of price point and capabilities.

Andrea

Industry: Writing and Editing

June 2022

Very easy to set up and great app for employees

Great if you have mostly salaried exempt employees and you rarely need customer service help.

Pros

Overall very easy to use and set up would use again

Cons

It takes too long to reach a live person via chat. This used to be a great feature that allowed me to quickly fix issues. Now it takes 2-3 business days to get a response via email.

Reasons for choosing Zenefits

I had used Zenefits before and knew the set up was easy.

Reasons for switching to Zenefits

The integration with harvest to track hours wasn’t the best.

Decent Human Resources Platform for Businesses Small and Large

My overall experience with Zenefits has been great. The pricing has been fair, the service has lived up to expectations, and most importantly, everyone who uses it at my place of work shares the same mindset, more or less. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a decent HR platform, as I am sure it would not disappoint except for when it comes to the occasional technical glitch here and there, which I am sure applies to anything having to do with technology.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the layout in which all of its functionalities are presented. Whether it be payroll, benefit elections, or anything else relating to human resource necessities, Zenefits has what both the employee and employer are looking for when it comes to ease of use and variety of functionalities and features. I very much like that the service is offered on both a web browser as well as a smartphone app, which allows for on-location or on-the-go usage. Lastly, I find the pricing for such a great service to be very reasonable, and the method in which pricing is to be determined to be quite fair as well, (when compared to competing companies offering similar services).

Cons

As a whole, Zenefits is there for you when you need it and delivers up to expectations. However, if there was one thing that I believe should be somewhat stabilized, it would be the clock in and clock out feature on the mobile app, which at times might be a bit challenging to work with, as it sometimes freezes the phone screen, resulting in the need to restart the whole phone for it to begin working again. This happens on very rare occasions, but when it does happen, it is a bit inconvenient. Other than that one small aspect, there is not much else that is negative to report.

Doug

Awesome Software - Absolutely Awful Support

Gusto is by far the best payroll, and even if you go with Zenefits I suggest you use them for payroll. Do not let Zenefits convince you to switch over. Pretty much only their sales people are responsive/friendly and as soon as you pay, they disappear. If you are big enough to go with Workday, go with them (IIRC they require 12 employees). BambooHR has a decent option, but watch for the hidden fees. They're not really upfront on all the costs, and their stuff is complicated enough they require you to go through training to use it. I am REALLY hopeful that new management at Zenefits will finally clean things up, or Gusto will enter the full market of Zenefits and put them out of business. Gusto support is awesome, just don't leave Gusto in the middle of the year. They have a policy that you can't come back in the same year.

Pros

For a small business there is not anyone cheaper than Zenefits and they have much greater integration and overall HR flow management than pretty much anyone I could find. When everything works, Zenefits is a beautiful thing.

Cons

Zenefits support is absolutely horrible. If there was ANY competitor that was anywhere close to having what they have at anywhere near their cost, I would have left by now. Support makes me downright angry on a regular basis. They don't read your questions and try to answer a different question, they take two or more days to respond (and there is no phone support), they tell you they'll call you back and do not, they give you wrong information over and over again. Almost no one who works there has any clue what they are doing, and their software messes up sometimes. The combination of the two has been a nightmare. I am constantly wondering if I'm actually saving time by using them, or if all the time I save is eating up with my many hours of arguing with support.

Brianna

August 2022

Zenefits Review from HR Point of View

Everyone I have spoken with was companionate and reasonable on all fronts. They took the time to listen to my wants and needs instead of listening to answer. I definitely would refer Zenefits and my sales Rep to friends and family.

Pros

Zenefits is a one stop shop for most Human Resource needs. That said the payroll/ accounting side was the only struggle that could have had to much room for human error for myself to be able to stick with this system. The system however has many many pros and not very many cons. Everything is very user friendly for all ages to figure out and manage. The staff was always super welcoming and sweet with all the answers to my thousands of questions.

Cons

The lack of integration with QuickBooks. I do not believe this falls onto Zenefits however, I believe QuickBooks refuses to work with anyone not just Zenefits in particular!

Reasons for choosing Zenefits

I truthfully have not chosen any products yet, I am simply doing all of the extra steps myself.

Tracy

Industry: Market Research

Long time user of Zenefits

Overall it's been super positive. Mistakes are always made, but Zenefits tries to rectify and solve problems instead of throwing their hands up and saying it's too hard.

Pros

What makes Zenefits most valuable to our business is the ease of onboarding new people and providing a 1 stop place for my HR department that is completely in the cloud and no need for reams of paper to be wasted. The PTO calendar and tracking is invaluable as well.

Cons

Zenefits started as a Benefits company with an HR platform, but has pivoted to providing Payroll as it's core business with the other add-ons. There is still some room for improvement on the payroll side and how to handle the customer service side of this.

Reasons for switching to Zenefits

All inquiries from my company (all 250 of them) had to go through my HR department, no matter what the issue was. It's was not a good long term solution.

Kelsi

Zenefits Review

our overall experience with zenefits has been positive. The on boarding tools offer a wide variety of options an customization that really make the initial process a lot easier.

Pros

The part that we liked most about zenefits is that it gave us one place to keep all employee documents. We also like that we could set up an employee by using the on boarding (hiring) service through zenfits which allows the employee to start their profile an also fill out needed employment documents electronically.

Cons

Initially we thought that the time card piece of zenefits was something that we were going to be able to use and would be rather handy for us. We quickly learned that Zenefits has not yet set up this module in a way that truly works for subcontracts who have to track employee's time by job number and phase code both. It can be done but takes a large amount of manual entry on the administrators part which then defeats the purpose of using such a tool.

Reasons for choosing Zenefits

we choose zenefits over bamboo because of the time card application.

Turn-key payroll and benefits solution for start-ups

Over, I would highly recommend Zenefits for companies that are looking for a simple way to manage their HR needs.

Pros

Very simple and intuitive interface. Makes managing HR, payroll, and benefits easy.

Cons

Could have more seamless integration of 3rd party healthcare providers.

Reasons for choosing Zenefits

History of using Zenefits for over 3 years with no problems.

User friendly solution, good experience overall

We were able to get a good grasp of our employee timekeeping, and it saved us a lot of time processing payroll each week.

Pros

I liked how easy it was to manage payroll. I also really appreciated all of the resources for HR handbooks, job descriptions, performance reviews, etc. Customer service was great, and really flexible with some of my out of the box requests. Having our employees clock in via our ipad app was handy. The mobile features were rough at first, but are coming around nicely.

Cons

The templates for new contractors and new hires were rather lackluster. It was also a little clunky and almost overly simplistic to pay contractors. Tax prep wasn't the smoothest.

Reasons for switching to Zenefits

Easier to navigate and manage on the go. Pricing.

Response from Zenefits

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

Replied March 2020

Great Sales Department but not backed up by Service or Software

I love the onboarding and sales process. Every person I talk with at Zenefits is pleasant and understanding. Whoever is in charge of the software development and customer service systems should be fired. In order to get a question answered one has to submit to a complex matrix of categories and subjects. I rarely could find the particular category that I needed. Tax Services are a joke. I just received an email on Feb 16 2021 for a quick question that I had on May 7th of 2020. If you have any need for any changes that require a human, find a different way.

Pros

Timekeeping is accurate. The time-off request and approval process works great. Like the PTO Calendar. Every task could be performed even if some were clunky.

Cons

Navigation is not intuitive and few improvements over 2 years. There were bugs when working with state taxes (for WA). Claimed integration with Quickbooks Desktop is flat out lies. Integration with Quickbooks Online is weak at best. DON'T TRUST Zenefits to make changes to your payroll tax filings. Will take 6+ months to get a response.

Reasons for switching to Zenefits

Wanted a more integrated system. After 2 years of using Zenefits, I've switched back to Intuit Payroll. Feels so good and 1/2 the work.

Effective, but pricey, payroll tool

The experience has been ok. It gets the job done but I'd be open to new options.

Pros

Zenefits has gotten the job done in terms of payroll and paying out contractors when needed. And they handle payroll taxes and necessary payroll reporting to the government.

Cons

The cost is high for a small business who might not have needs for most of their features. And the service has been fairly slow. For example, it took me a month to get a new form of payment on file as my business credit card had expired. During that month I had to handwrite checks and could not use the service.

Reasons for switching to Zenefits

I switched due to the cost of Justworks, which was coming in at approx. $85 per employee per month after sudden price hikes. That pricing was not sustainable for a small business.

Lorraine

Industry: Wholesale

October 2022

review

It makes it so much easier to manage and keep track of employee benefits and healthcare enrollment.

Pros

It goes into super great detail while being easy to understand and manage employee benefits. It is great for managing enrollment and making it clear to employees.

Cons

We haven't found anything we don't like yet.

Robert

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Excellent HR Platform for Small to Medium Sized Businesses

When we were considering HR software back in 2015, we set up demos and reviewed many different options, but based upon the needs of our company Zenefits was the best choice. It was a seamless and easy transition once we made the switch. We were able to set up and customize Zenefits so we could accomplish what we need to with the platform. Using the Zenefits platform for our hiring and onboarding has allowed us to streamline our hiring process which was especially helpful during the peak of Covid when having to hire employees while working remotely. The ability to customize in Zenefits was a huge plus for us as a staffing company because of the differing needs of our clients. Zenefits makes it easy if we need to update or change any of the documents that are used for onboarding our new hires. The benefits management available through Zenefits has also been a great tool for a business like ours. It is a very simple process to review available plans and options for the upcoming year and to collect important information from our employees during open enrollment. Our company has changed from where we were in 2015 and using Zenefits has allowed us to easily adapt. If you are a small or medium sized business that struggles with HR issues like hiring and onboarding, benefits and record management, or compliance, I would recommend looking into how Zenefits can benefit you and your company.

Pros

Seamless and easy transition once we made the switch. Easy set up and great options for customization. Zenefits is a great tool for businesses not having a full HR but needing HR support when dealing with Benefits, Employment Paperwork, and Compliance.

Cons

We have not had any major issues or challenges using this software

Reasons for switching to Zenefits

Wanted to find a product that would help us in both the short and long term accomplish the goals of our company to switch to focus on converting to a more digital process. This would help with storage and help cut down the time and cost of related Administrative tasks.

BZ

Industry: Libraries

Zenefits - Easy Peasy

This is a great software for a distributed workforce. We have employees in different 20 states and 40 different locations. Zenefits makes it easy for us.

Pros

This software is so easy to use for both the employees and the HR team. Everything is simple and straightforward, no convoluted quirky tricks needed to enter information. Hiring and onboarding is super easy. Open enrollment is super easy. Payroll is super easy. PTO management is super easy.

Cons

There are some tie in products that still need some work.

BambooHR, BambooHR and Paycom

Reasons for choosing Zenefits

The benefits management system and the easy hiring ability were the original reason. In the end, it was the employee experience that made the difference - good mobile product.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for switching to Zenefits

Needed an integrated solution.

Sandy

User Friendly and Intuitive

The efficiency of Zenefits when it comes to onboarding is a huge timesaver. We're able to send employees key information they need before and after they start working with us with no manual work. I cut down on a few hours of work per week with this feature!

Pros

Zenefits is super simple to learn how to use, both for Admins and for Employees. My employees love being able to use the software for benefits enrollment, time off, and other requests. It's easy to teach someone how to use it because honestly, I don't really have to--the interface is really simple and easy to understand. Saves me a ton of time as an HR professional!

Cons

The Time Off reporting could be more robust, but this will come with time. As our company grows we're looking to pull more quick reports on PTO accrual and other balances, and some of the values we're looking for aren't readily available. There have been some changes in this area though, so the developers recognize how the system should be improved.

BambooHR and BambooHR

Reasons for choosing Zenefits

The cost of Zenefits and the intuitive user interface sold us the most. We felt like we got the most value with the best user experience for our employees. The optional integrations were also a huge plus for us, like our 401(k) provider.

Shae