Browse PyCharm Reviews

December 2021

Jared from Magnetic Seal Corp (MAGSEAL)

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

My Go To IDE for Python Programming

I use PyCharm to create almost all of my programs. It's a well-rounded IDE with powerful debugging features. As a result, I've been able to create several programs to help my company solve complex data problems.

Pros

PyCharm is a feature-packed IDE that has everything I need for my projects ranging from small data science tools to Django web apps. It allows me to write programs efficiently and automatically creates new virtual environments for all new projects.

Cons

PyCharm can be overwhelming if you're just starting out programming. It's designed for users who already have experience. That's not to say it's hard to use. However, it can be tricky if you're not experienced...

Carlos Hugo Martin from TDI Peru

Experience with PyCharm

For big data or analytics project

Pros

That takes projects to the features that python offers, allowing to facilitate coding as well as code testing directly and efficiently. Your requirements are not high.

Cons

The interface does not allow you to have several projects open at the same time, having to open several instances of the software to be able to work.

Reasons for Choosing PyCharm

Because it has the characteristics that we need from other products, in addition to low resource consumption.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

The ease of portability, coding and low resource consumption.

Gustavo from TFG

Industry: Computer Games

You can do better (and worse, too)

I don't like it very much. Interacting with PyCharm (in other ways than just writing code) is frequently slow and confusing. The last couple of times I opened it, I immediately closed it and opened VSCode instead. I keep it installed anyway, as it did help me quite a bit back when I had to build a compiler from the ground up. If you really, REALLY need an IDE, then I guess you could do worse than PyCharm.

Pros

Easy package searching and installation once the initial setup is done. It has plenty of debugging features, and it's handy to keep track of a large project.

Cons

It's not exactly lightweight. Using it to install Python on my Windows machine turned out to be quite a hassle. I've been using it for years, and while it's decent for medium to large projects, there is really no reason to use it if all you need is a short script.

Omar from Telepath.io

This is JetBrains' gift to software engineers and Developers around the world !

My overall experience has been great thus far. I believe I will continue to use it in my professional career. I would absolutely recommend this product for any software engineer, machine learning engineer or even a data scientist who wants to do some scripting work.

Pros

I have been using this IDE for a short time now. I must say it extremely amazing. I love how convenient and easy it is to use. The layout is fantastic. Having everything present in a single place like that definitely makes my life much easier as an engineer .The code editing tools are amazing, the code improvement recommendation system that they have is definitely a plus to have, sometimes the IDE recommends me to do certain actions I would have never have thought of on my own. Also it helps finish my code blocks automatically which is great. I also like how I could split the screen multiple parts fairly easily for code review. I could go on and on. I would definitely recommend Pycharm or any JetBrains product for that matter. They work incredibly hard and it shows in their work. In short Pycharm is awesome and I recommend you start using it.

Cons

I don't have any major critiques of the IDE but I would say perhaps having a co-pilot would be an incredible improvement to make it an even better IDE. Other than that I have no issues with it.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

I feel like Pycharm is more suited for development and Spyder is more suited for data science work.

A newly-found favorite IDE on mine. Simple and user-friendly.

Pros

1. Simple 2. Well-integrated with CI/CD tools 3. User-friendly 4. Free to use! 5. Credible and widely-known 6. There are many forums and training out there

Cons

1. None for me. I have been using PyCharm for several months now and I have no complaints about this. I can see myself using this for the next years to come in my test automation.

Reasons for Choosing PyCharm

1. Compare to Eclipse, I find PyCharm easier to manage and easier to see. 2. Fewer features to worry about in PyCharm. You can only manage what you really need and the rest is well-taken care of by the app.

Ilaria from TU Delft

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

December 2021

The best environment for Python developers

My experience with PyCharm has been very positive. The interface is pleasant, it is easy to open new files from the same directory, any folder can be opened as a PyCharm project and every extension can be opened, such as readmes. PyCharm has auto-saving, which is useful in case of crashes, and automatically re-opens the last project I was working on when I restart it which decreases the time taken before I can start working. The integration with GitHub makes collaborating really easy. Overall, I would recommend it, as it greatly simplifies the job of a developer and makes it pleasant.

Pros

My favourite parts of this IDE are the integration with GitHub, which is simple and immediate, with the possibility to right away download a project from a shared repository. Furthermore, the interface is pleasant, installing new packages is easy to do within the interface without the use of pip install, and now there is also the new option for collaborating live - which is promising, although I have not tried it yet. The suggestions for code completion are relevant and greatly speed up the job of writing code. Import statements are sometimes imported automatically from previous code pieces. Having a JetBrains account makes it easy to keep changes across OS and computers.

Cons

One of the least intuitive things with PyCharm is starting a virtual environment for every code that needs to be run, and making the packages available to each python file: every time a new python file is created in a new directory, the virtual environment needs to be imported from a previous instance (or re-created, but this involves re-installing the packages). It could be nice to make the virtual environment available to every file by default, such that packages are always available. In some cases, it is also hard to install the latest version, thereby an older version has to be installed. This is not beneficial.

Mordecai from Botmord

Pycharm Review

Suitable in building web apps

Pros

* Provides cross platform for app development. * Best for developing web pages using python. * It provides smooth unit testing and easy debugging. * Can be installed on several platforms not limiting you to a single platform * Provides support for auto completion of code.

Cons

* Provides best support for only python ignoring other programming languages which makes developers use different IDE's for different purpose. * Requires enough space during installation compared to some IDE's. * Runs very slow on old systems especially during runtime and opening of PyCharm

Diane from With Harte

Learning Python with PyCharm

This software helped me fall in love with Python as a coding language.

Pros

Incredibly easy to learn how to use this IDE, i started with an online IDE and quickly moved to PyCharm to allow me to store and recall my projects when off line, Easy to code in with lots of help resources, then to share out to GitHub for grading.

Cons

Shifting the libraries was a little troublesome at times, having to open and close the project folders to get the changes to take was the only irritant though.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

To allow me to work off line

Mahonri from Stadler US

Industry: Railroad Manufacture

Powerful IDE

The programming environment is appropriate and has great features

Pros

It has an autocomplete feature, it prompts you with some logical options to complete your coding. The debugging option gives you a clear way to know where your mistake could be found. Also, it tells you the line where the error occurred and what is wrong with the code, or suggestions of what is the most logical sequence of commands

Cons

Sometimes the indicated lines of mistakes are incorrect

Pycharm for web development

Everything related to DATA SCIENCE

Pros

Clean UI,multiple package support,Tab that shows errors while coding,can code multiple languages

Cons

Sometimes creation on Virtual environment is a bit tough

Best IDE I've ever used

Great tool for a Python developer... It makes it easier for version control and library installations. 3rd party plugin support enriches the experience. Library installation is a lot easier than any other IDE. Its support for 'requrements.txt' is also another big plus. It also displays if an error occurs and suggests ways to resolve the issue. And I was able to resolve the said issue with the suggested (most of the time).

Pros

I am mainly using PyCharm for my school projects. The thing about PyCharm is its support for Git (version control). We are using BitBucket in the company and I think it is much better and easy to use than the SourceTree. And it is foolproof. PyCharm also excels at its support for 3rd party plugins. They don't force you to use their plugins. It also has its own terminal for the selected Python environment. This reduces the confusion both for me and for the PC itself. The UI also helped me to get used to PyCharm. It is easy to modify and not complicated. Different themes for the IDE help me to use PyCharm, especially during the night time (It has a dark theme).

Cons

There are a couple of things I don't like about the PyCharm. First thing is that its suggestions for pieces for codes are a little off. I mean, most of the time it suggests unrelated things. I am forced to use another 3rd party plugin to solve this issue. Another thing about the PyCharm is its debugging mode is really slow. It suggests me to install Cython plugin to speed it up. I tried but instead of speed gain, it slowed down. And I don't think it is because of my PyCharm environment since my friends have also experienced a similar issue.

Silvio from Spaziodati

My opinion on PyCharm after 3 years

I quite like the overall experience, I think is a very mature tool and I have suggested it to all my colleagues working with Python Django.

Pros

What I do really like about PyCharm is the search features. I think they are really useful and work great!

Cons

Would be nice when working on a Django project have directly the HTML markdown syntax highlighting for Django templating language. Also I would really love to have the git annotate function as in VS code (instead of having a sidebar having a comment like line whit the git author on the highlighted line). Sometimes I had trouble with the Python interpreter going crazy and had to reset it. Also the markdown syntax highlighting for .MD files is superheavy and the computer slows down

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

One of my senior colleagues suggested me to use it and after using it I loved it

Edwin from Database Administration

Best integrated environment for coding with python

I would say it is among the best IDEs have ever used to code python. It is easy to install and indeed I would like people to use it if you want not only to learn python from beginner level to pro level but also if you want to develop good and projects using python.

Pros

First of all installation of PyCharm is easy, you don't to have expertise to use it. Another thing I like about it is the error removal ability. PyCharm enables you as the user to identify errors easily as you code thereby you can make correct changes easily and faster. One can easily integrate it easily with GitHub, using the push component it is easily for one to update his code in GitHub account. Lastly is the plugins it has, it enables one to code in different languages as compared to other integrated development environment.

Cons

First what I dislike about this software is its hanging feature, incase your computer's speed and RAM is low then you are likely to have difficulty coding with this IDE. Though it can be used in various environments or programming languages, it will be difficult for an illiterate person to use or interact with it. I don't have much negative about this software since have not used it for a long time but I would prefer to use the pro version since it has more features and tools but it is relatively much expensive.

Reasons for Choosing PyCharm

It is integrated with many components thereby enabling one to use it with different frameworks or environments.

Great IDE for python works

If you work with data analytics project and data related projects this is the best IDE for you since you code popular data manipulating languages in one place

Pros

UI and UX are excellent. I worked it with for data science projects using python language. Since it now supports R language this is the best choice for data nerds.

Cons

At the first impression I felt overwhelming since there are plenty of buttons and features. If it has a feature to code in cells like colab that would be great!

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Visual Studio is not well designed for data related works.

Pawan from Upwork.com

Best IDE for Python

So when it comes to the Python programming language, Pycharm is the best choice considering both its great collection of features and some cons it has.

Pros

I use Pycharm most of my time for doing Python programming and I use it in both my Windows and Linux as its cross-platform. It has integration with version control, anaconda, ipython, pylint, and others which makes it easier for programmers like me. It has an intelligent code editor which enhances code readability by color schemes for keywords, functions, classes, syntax, and error highlighting. Also, it provides error identification and quick fixes for it where the error occurs. I love debugging the python code with its powerful debugger tool. I usually use the rename refactoring feature which makes my programming faster. Also, I love the autocompletion feature with the Django web framework and Flask. It has a lot of plugins and also selectable light and dark theme to switch for day and nighttime. It has integration with Git and I can run git commands in the Pycharm terminal or perform Git operations with its GUI. It has support for multiple projects so I can switch from one project easily and also good database support.

Cons

It is a great IDE with a huge collection but it needs memory more than other IDE available so it may lag sometimes. The community edition is available for free but it's only for pure python development so it would be best if its Pro version is available for a better price as it's expensive.

Best Python IDE with support for other languages

I don't use Python as much as R, but I appreciate having an excellent IDE to make my projects more efficient, better scripted, and more robust.

Pros

The layout and features are excellent for data science and data analysis projects. The GUI is clean and user friendly. The pricing structure is fair and allows for perpetual ownership of a version of the software even if you stop subscribing (within certain requirements). Extra addons and third party plugins make it even better. It also now includes R support too, so it can be a single IDE for all data projects.

Cons

On first opening the software, the screen can feel and look pretty cluttered. It can feel a little overwhelming, but once you get used to it, the interface is really well designed.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Visual Studio is a wonderful software but it is really designed for pure code not data work. PyCharm is for data work.

Matthew from British Oceanographic Data Centre

Industry: Environmental Services

The best Python IDE?

PyCharm has provided a useful suite of functionality for the development team here. It's become so ingrained that I struggle to imagine us using anything else.

Pros

PyCharm provides a great suite of features for Python development, but the two features I appreciate the most are the IntelliJ plugin ecosystem, giving access to useful or niche functionality not otherwise available in mainstream IDEs and the remote interpreter functionality, allowing me to automatically deploy and run code on remote machines.

Cons

It's a minor complaint, but PyCharm sometimes fails to respect the default interpreter setting, meaning it must be manually set on a project-by-project basis.

Zach from Propertyshelf INc.

Good choice if you are looking for a heavier, feature-oriented Python IDE

Overall, it was a slow text editor for me, and I wasn't able to get all of the advanced features to work well in my environment. In other environments or if one decides to spend a lot of time in the configuration, it might eventually pay off. However, I'm personally more interested in a slimmer code editor.

Pros

There are a lot of features built into PyCharm. The code completion which is like an intellisense is very handy. There are nice contextual features like jumping to a definition of a variable, method, class, etc.

Cons

All of the features makes the software bulkier and ultimately a slower experience. I also never got to use some of the more advanced features because they didn't play well with my environment. I use projects based on buildout, and although there is buildout support built in, I found it too hard to set up and work out all of the kinks, so I ended up not even using most of those advanced features.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

I received a 6 month trial as part of a package that I bought.

Sushobit from UserTesting

Is PyCharm worth the money

On concluding what I saw as a coder and hope others relate with me is that PyCharm is good software, integrated development environment because of its easy to be used by amateurs configuration, but it has its own cons and that can be minimized with regular use and if you are a professional this software is for your company.

Pros

Are you a coder/developer and love programming? But we know that anything becomes boring after some time, PyCharm does the job of making it fun. But it's not free! This Having this easy and up to the mark.PyCharm Professional version is made for Web development like Django however you will not see that in the community version. Moreover PyCharm Professional is more tight / out-of-the-box integration with other Python frameworks, libraries. A coder will get me

Cons

The professional version is a bit expensive for individual programmers. The community version or free version is idle for python development only and you cannot use other programming languages or make projects plus it takes huge space which corrodes the execution of code.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

It's not reliable and userfriendly, plus not secure

Tomasz from NTT Data Business Solution

Python coding mad easy

Productivity increase provided by tool that great cannot be measured. After initial setup that can be problematic, it is the best Python IDE I have used

Pros

I love how PyCharm incorporates every useful functionality in a single IDE. Adding libraries is easy and intuitive, great debugging built in and the best code editor there is

Cons

Library search can be muddied by obsolete and not updated results and setting up python on Windows to work with PyCharm is not the easiest thing

Best Python IDE

Great for general Python programming

Pros

This is the de facto standard Python IDE.. it's great. There is both a free version (community) and paid (enterprise). The UI is super slick and it just helps me so much in general productivity with a lot of built in features for automatically doing things like setting up virtual environments, downloading python modules, amazing code completion.. etc. Also has great integration with git repos and pushing code easily.

Cons

Would be nice if it handled writing custom code documentation a bit better.. but this is not really a fault of pycharm but more python/python's PEP itself

Reasons for Choosing PyCharm

Better integration with the Python environment over a general text editor

Paul from Ardmillan Trading Limited

Not cheap, but wouldn't do with it

Slick and efficient - shortcuts for everything.

Pros

Pycharm's code assistance features make it invaluable, particularly if you're learning to code. I've been using it for 5 years since I started learning Python, and still use it now for all my product development. It's constantly being updated and improved.

Cons

Subscription fees aren't cheap, but the time the save while developing make it well worth the cost.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

I wanted something that could help with code completion, finding usages, easier setup of venvs etc.

Ashwin from IIIT Delhi

Convenient and Efficient

The overall experience has been pretty good and it was really easy to get used to the software when I started using it. All the features - code completion, project-specific interpreter, debugger, etc. have been really helpful and enhanced my coding experience in a positive manner

Pros

The code completion feature, the ability to create a different virtual environment for every project that I make on the application so that I don't have to upgrade or downgrade my libraries without reason, the seamless integration with Github and the interface of the debugger is really great.

Cons

Nothing significant, I think it's probably the fact that I am too used to its code completion feature and find trouble adjusting to other IDE's whenever I have to switch. Its startup time could be improved.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

I think the features in PyCharm are a lot more accessible as compared to Sublime Text, and it just makes my life much easier. Also, the fact that GUI programming while using Qt could be integrated into the IDE and I didn't need to use the external QML interface was great.

Everything you need in One IDE

Satisfactory and boosts productivity for me and people I've recommended it to

Pros

Great thing I love about PyCharm is 1. Easy to manage your virtual Environments 2. Services - Control your docker, vagrant services 3. Version Control - You can view history on any highlighted text 4. Manage your remote connections

Cons

The memory hog is one thing, but then it requires at least a 8GB ram. You can easily do a RAM upgrade

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

I need to install everything I need one after the other

Ameer from SRMIST

Python IDE that makes coding in Python smoother

My overall experience is quite positive.I have been using it to write Python code. Pycharm is also used for descriptive statistics, simulation, cleaning and other types of data processing. It is used for Python implementation and distribution in the enterprise. Thanks to all of the powerful features it has, from Version Control to Code Inspection, it helped us handle our projects and improve delivery speed.- It is not restricted to the development of Python code.

Pros

Several divisions within the organization use it to build Web apps and machine learning algorithms . The Python debugging functionality is superior to what we have previously used. When scripting, it provides guidance. There are numerous keyboard shortcuts for jumping to various parts of code, finding and replacing items in a program, module, or route. W e can read and write better code and understand what's going on easily.

Cons

You can't turn it on for a major project and hope to be able to jump back in. Any time PyCharm runs, it has to search everything, which takes time and is inconvenient. It should take less time to get up and working. When testing code, closing threads also takes awhile.

Irina from AYTM

The best framework for writing and running Python code

I am a data scientist and a statistician, and all codes I write are in Python. I tried various frameworks like iPython, and it was very bad. PyCharm provides the best experience if you need to write, debug and run serious Python codes.

Pros

1) Easy to use, good prompt, all necessary features available, including debugging and Git sharing. Easiness to rename a function or a variable in all occasions simultaneously. 2) Terminal feature allowing to try small chunks of code inline 3) Possibility to incorporate a lot of statistical (SciPy, NumPy), graphical (PyPlot) etc. packages, allowing to do literally everything withing Python.

Cons

More autocorrection and highlighting than I would like (can be switched off, but it's difficult and not for all options). Rather difficult to install additional packages which Python may need (again, not crucial, all most common packages like NumPy or SciPy are installed easily, the problem is only with some fancy packages).

Jerric from Groworx

PyCharm stands for "Perfect for Python"

As you can see in my pros points I listed a lot compared to the cons, so it's justifiable that my overall experience with PyCharm is more than adequate. - Code faster and efficiently, PyCharm solved a lot of things for me, it's code completion and auto formatting is one of the best features I've encountered in an IDE.

Pros

- Full featured: from shortcut keys, code lints, test runners, auto venv creation upto docker integration, this IDE has it all to keep you up and running with python development. - Fully Customizable: Theming? This got a wide variety of "plugins" already tailored made for you, need to use another test runner? PyCharm let's you choose from unittest to PyTest no prob! - Easy to use: The learning curve is almost none existent, this got me coding in a matter of minutes, haven't used Jupiter notebook and don't feel like I need it because of this. - Intuitive: Whether your a seasoned python dev or just beginning to write your first py code, this IDE got your back, with it's auto formatting using `Reformat file` feature, clean code is in the tip of fingers. - Affordable: You can go for the community version (which is more than enough for me) and btw it's FREE

Cons

- Takes quite an amount of memory: Yeah a bit RAM hungry, but if your a software dev, and rocking a minimum 2017 Macbook Pro, or a Dell XPS you SHOULD have an ample amount already so that won't be too much drama for you.

Gabriel from NetRom

Nice & powerful IDE with an even nicer pricing model

I used this IDE initially on a small Python project involving image processing, mainly because I was familiar with Jetbrains' other IDE for Java (IntelliJ). We started with the community version and it performed really nice. Integration with python and it's plugin tools (e.g.: pip) is all in place, we also loved that we could use the SonarLint plugin, it has excellent code analysis tools, etc. As the project grew, we ended up with a Flask server and a full-blown API & web interface. And this is where we felt the need to switch the PyCharm edition, since the free (community) one has very limited support for web stuff (css/scss, js, html files, etc) All in all, with the exception of the annoying startup delay (which grew longer and longer as the project grew), I definitely recommend this as the best python IDE.

Pros

- Debugger is extremely powerful & well done and it has all the great features like quick watch, instant evaluate, run-to, etc. - Contains both terminal & python console - Has linting, type-checking and refactoring features. This can be extended with the use of additional plugins. - The community edition (which has a free price tag) can also be used for developing commercial applications - Good support for web development in the free version, excellent in the commercial version (used this with Flask) - Remote debugging (but this is part of the professional edition (paid version)

Cons

- Huge loading time. Startup can even take 4-5 minutes in case of a large project. This is probably the only thing I can complain about.

Reasons for Choosing PyCharm

Although PyDev was leaner, it also felt a lot more clunkier, installing plugins was usually failing at first and needed some more tweaks..

Pros and cons of PyCharm

PyCharm is one the best IDE for python developers due to its features and package search and installation process. It also helps beginner coder with its code assistance and its design and UI. But it is not quit light weighted for simple python use.

Pros

PyCharm is easy to use software with good user interface. Code debugging and other lots of feature makes PyCharm more useful while coding. Package installation and search feature also helps.

Cons

One of the problem of PyCharm is that it takes lots of time to open and run simple python code. And it is also little expensive.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

PyCharm has better integration with python.

Silviu from Felizi Tech S.R.L.

PyCharm makes Python coding easier.

PyCharm is extremely useful for Python projects. It has great number of features. In my opinion, it's the best tool out here for back end development.

Pros

The best part of PyCharm is the debugger. It works extremely easy for an interpreted language. Better than any other tool I used. Autocompletion works just fine and comes in very handy. Easy to manage different versions of Python and also has a Package Manager.

Cons

Price-wise the full bundle is very expensive. For small projects, it can take up lots of memory, thus an alternative maybe suited.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Better tailor for Python development.

Yollanda from Enkrypted Teknik

Pycharm

Found it easy to use and helps a lot if one is learning to be a python programmer

Pros

As a python coder, its pretty much straight to the point and handy to python works and commands which mostly automatically link to code

Cons

Its a bit heavy if you have a small processor machine and consumes a lot of speed to itself slowing the machine down and even heating up the processor

pycharm makes work easier

Fabian from Engineering.com

The best complier, , and inspector for coding Python. And more!

I could progress a lot in my python expertise, and just with the inspector helping me out; the EDU tools also help a lot; I can use, see the course, offline. When I have to write code, I go as the first choice to this software; its feature of personalization really helps in a visual way to make sure your code is being made while coding, important thing because of time.

Pros

I can personalize my background and letters, functions from simple text, variables and so. Pycharm offers you a ton of useful plugins to help you to make your experience more handle while coding. Also, there is a version for students and professors to learn more, a can tell: an assistant in learning Python, Django and so; relatively to python of course. You don't need to be connected for making these courses, once you download it, you have it for use offline. The inspector feature id the best, it gives you suggestions and a brief explanation of errors or misunderstandings inside the code. You can write in HTML too. A very good tool for python development. The libraries that you need, write them in a requeriments.txt file, it downloads automatically for you!

Cons

Sometimes it's slow if your computer doesn't have a good amount of memory RAM, of course. Sometimes it's annoying when you have to choose the interpreter for the run, at first time, of your code; that includes the environment. You only can have one project opened at the time, including taking a look into the Educational, plugin, tool.

Mir Fida from CipherCoders

Better than any other IDE for python and data science projects

Our experience is like value for money. We did a data science assignment in python for clients that return us profit in the long run. Worth the money spent to get return on investment for booming business by using in all three domains data science, machine learning and data processing. It saves a lot of time for developers by providing convenience in every updated feature. I would recommend it for small to large businesses dealing with python data science projects. It will provide a good deal to provide solution for all their needs. Support for web languages like HTML and JS will be useful for web or cloud data science projects. For students one-year free license is available.

Pros

PyCharm provided us with a powerful solution for a data science program in python language. Deployment was easy for our small office systems running windows. Syntax highlighting and code completion is best for python and for other languages like R it's just good. Github integration is superb such that we can directly commit or push code to GitHub repository through it. Version control handles all the files like a charm. Other IntelliJ products are compatible to move code or projects like the IDEA webstorm. Built-in Debugging scripts and installing related useful library of packages/plugins saves a lot of time. User interface and settings are easier to learn. Customizations are available for theme and settings according to specific needs.

Cons

It's pricing is a little high for new startups but the small running businesses will afford it due to its benefits. Also heavy on resources for slower pc or laptop. Minimum 4gb ram with corei3 is recommended to use. Larger script programs may need much more hardware resources to perform well. Other than that I do not see any demerits using it as your daily python or data science driving tool.

Elegant, Easy-to-use and Time serving

I used PyCharm for machine learning projects. I found using this IDE very useful and easy due to its more useful features I mentioned above. It was really easy to work with the IDE as I could even open CSV files inside the IDE due to its extended support. It is a great IDE to use for easy programming and the IDE makes it easier to debug the scripts as well.

Pros

I really like the ability to run small code blocks separately without having to run the whole script. It helps to test blocks of codes separately and to debug. The ability to detect unused libraries that are imported to the script is another useful feature I have noticed in PyCharm. It helps to remove unwanted yet currently imported libraries. The available different themes are also appealing and helpful. Further, PyCharm supports a wide range of plug-ins as well.

Cons

The slight disadvantage of using PyCharm is if we get used to using it, it becomes slightly difficult to adopt to another IDE in a case where we have to use another IDE. This is because PyCharm consists of lot of features, libraries and extensions by default that reduce a lot of manual task which will not be available in all other IDEs.

Rekha Priyadharshini from Cognizant Technology Solutions

Best tool for Python development

PyCharm makes it easy to get started on Python learning and app development. It is well documented and you will find every thing you need for developing under this one tool. The problems tab is very useful in finding coding errors and warnings according to PEP8 standards.

Pros

PyCharm is the best IDE for Python development as it fits well with Pythonic way of coding by offering built-in terminal and console for interpreting code. Git and Docker integrations makes it very easy to manage code versions and deploy applications. PyCharm can also work with Jupyter Notebooks which is extremely convenient when your code involves data analysis and scientific research. The recently introduced 'Code with me' feature takes collaboration to the next level.

Cons

PyCharm is a heavy software and requires a decent amount of compute power. It might hang or cause trouble when running in low compute power devices like Raspberry Pi. Also at this time (version 2021.1.3), the git integration doesn't work well when your project is tagged under an organization.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Needed an IDE that offered more functionality for project development (like Debugger, Git, Docker integrations..)

Diego from dunnhumby

The Swiss Army knife of IDEs!!

The best all in one IDE out there, the python supporting features are great and it has a many templates for different projects for ease of architecture. It has all the developing needs in one place, with easy to use and responsive GUI. It is the best python developing companion by far!!

Pros

It’s integration with many developing tools is the best! It can query databases, edit csv files and auto format python code all without going out of the app. The debugging features are top notch, also it’s GUI is awesome and responsive as well as highly customizable!!

Cons

At first it seems hard to learn new fuse of its many features but later i it gets easy. Also the memory consumption is very high while running on windows and the python interpreter gets lost and keeps running in the back without notice.

My opinion on PyCharm after 2 years of using it as student and 6 months as a professional

I loved developing python scripts with PyCharm, it saved me a lot of time, an easy to get the hang of it due to its simple UI

Pros

What I really like about PyCharm is the ability to separate the output of the script and the debugging terminal, also the auto-complete feature is great it saved me a lot of time

Cons

It is not lightweight software, and it produces a huge amount of junk files that eats the space on your PC you will need to delete those files every week if your PC has no enough space

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

what made me switch is that PyCharm provides better features to work with python, specially if you are developing automation scripts, the ability to see the code output in different terminal is huge plus, it eases your debugging process

Lasha from Mmedi22

Number one IDE for Python

PyCharm makes writing code an enjoyable experience and it more than pays for itself in terms of productivity increase. Overall, I'm in love with it and I can safely say that no IDE is worthy of the "Best IDE" title, but PyCharm.

Pros

PyCharm is the only IDE you'll ever want to use. It does everything you may ever need to do. Starting from linting to setting up virtual environments - PyCharm does it all. However, it's best feature has got to be intellisense. It's snappy, it's smart and it's useful. It can read custom imported packages and contextually supply you with auto-completion which increases productivity tenfold. It also has a huge, bursting marketplace of plugins which can help with fully altering and customizing the IDE in ways you want it.

Cons

PyCharm is a very expensive software and despite it undeniably being the absolute best in terms of quality - the price point still a huge factor. On the flip side, they have free educational licenses, so not all bad. Otherwise, the product is perfect and I've never had any issue with it.

Amazing Python IDE

I have worked with PyCharm both in the context of my work and university-related stuff. It's fast, intuitive and easy to use. I mainly use it for building machine learning and deep learning models, which are pretty computationally heavy and PyCharm handles tem with ease.

Pros

The thing that I like the most about PyCharm is its smart auto-completion and intelligent platform. Error pinpointing works really good and drastically decreases the time needed for refactoring and debugging the code. Moreover, PyCharm IDE has a robust navigation system. Interface is aesthetically pleasing, intuitive and easy to get started with even for beginner users. There is almost no learning curve when using it. Another thing that I like about PyCharm is the fact that it offers multi-framework support (for frameworks such as web2py or Google App Engine). Regarding the features and functionality, PyCharm is very versatile, as it allows for remote development and has a rich scientific toolbox integration. It also has version control tools and integration with Git.

Cons

The only thing that I dislike about PyCharm is its integration with Python notebooks (ipynb format). Other than that there is nothing I dislike about PyCharm IDE as it perfectly suits my needs.

Derek from DAB Worx

Terrific Python IDE

Pros

It has everything and more. If it doesn’t, there are plugins. Constantly updated. Stable.

Cons

I don’t really have any cons. If I am being nit picky, some things can be a little more intuitive.

Waqas from Omnius GmbH

Great one for python users with very few limitations

Pros

When it comes to python programming and a little knowledge about Pycharm, it formats python code and provides an ease to debug line by line be setting up breakpoints. The biggest advantage I see that the intermediate output variable values are stored and can be retrieved after the first run, it updates on every run which means an annoying print statement is not required while debugging code. I think its great for debugging than many of the other IDEs in the market.

Cons

Slightly complicated to use and It takes alot of disk space and if there is need to program in any other language (which is not python) then there are usually compiling issues. For java i.e, PyCharm includes JetBrains runtime which needs more disk usage as I see and it does support java but in the end at the cost of disk space, still there could be many compiling problems. Handling of any other language than python, Pycharm is not the best choice. There are also so many warnings (different levels) which makes debugging hard for a new user, who is not known to these levels. Sometimes it also happens that even python code is not formatted which requires saving file with the right extension. There are also themes available which shouldn't be included in the main package. It also covers disk space. They should be optional in my opinion.

Muhammad from Nasaq

Best IDE for python developers

PyCharm is a great software to gain a complete experience you will have to deal with the complex interface but you will get used to it, after that you will notice the difference it will help you speeding up your development optimize your code and much more.

Pros

PyCharm packs all required and important features such as building, testing and debugging the code, also provide analytical tools that really helps to optimize the code, git integration and much more.

Cons

first of all it uses a lot of resources especially the RAM, secondary the complex interface.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Atom is not a complete IDE and for me as Django developer atom lack the essential features that pycharm provides it to me.

My favorite IDE

My go-to IDE for quick prototyping of programs and concepts.

Pros

I was delighted when I found that Jet Brains made a Python IDE. My first experience with their product was IntelliJ java IDE, however I didn't really enjoy the language but did enjoy the environment. Compared to simply running python from command line this is light years better. Good auto completion, refactoring, e.t.c. makes this super easy to use. I love the free professional version for students, but have used the free community edition as well with no real issues between the two.

Cons

Some options are weirdly buried. Accidentally turned scientific mode on and couldn't figure how to turn it off.

Michael from MKM Thunderbird Trading CC

Pycharm Professional

Pycharm Professional makes my coding experience less stressful by proving an interface with all the handy conveniences that I need all in one software. I don't have to go the command to type out commands but can do everything to set up my coding environment right with the application.

Pros

Pycharm is an IDE that provides all that one needs for one's coding experience. It provides access to almost all packages needed for coding. Especially for coding in python that I use it for.

Cons

The pricing could have been a bit lower for my liking, even if this software is a good one, this is one thing that discourages me. I ended up using my student email to access a free year of use for this application.

Dipankar from OLA CAR WASH PRIVATE LIMITED

Very Useful Idle

I will say pycharm is a very good idle for begginers, those who are new to coding or python industry. so, i will surely recommand it to every one.

Pros

Very Useful Idle it supports python Very Good Environment User friendly

Cons

It does not support or suggest gestures other than python.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Pycharm is more suitable for me as compared to VS Code.

Amazing Python IDE

PyCharm made developing in Python super easy from beginners to experts.

Pros

PyCharm is the best Python IDE I have ever used. It is super powerful and makes coding in Python a breeze with smart suggestions and many tools to manage packages.

Cons

PyCharm is a battery and RAM hog. Do not expect to run this software on a laptop battery unplugged. The performance requires such high amounts of resource usage and it does pay off. But it does not help when coding on the go.

Reasons for Choosing PyCharm

PythonIDE is a free editor that just provides colors and not much else. PyCharm is the complete package that allows for smooth editing.

William from The Salvation Army

Top IDE for Python Development

Using PyCharm has significantly improved my production when it comes to writing code. It is so much easier to see mistakes before I even test things. If you are still coding in a text editor, now is the time to give PyCharm a try!

Pros

Syntax highlighting is a huge blessing. I love that there is a built in dev environment for testing. It handle remote repositories (e.g. GitHub) well. The refactor option is also incredibly handy when you need to rename something!

Cons

There is a small learning curve, but it's worthwhile. I think the only other complaint I have is that when there is a conflict in repositories, you have to hunt to find/fix the differences. It would be nice if PyCharm could identify them for you and then give you an option on which one you want to overwrite.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Others convinced me that using an IDE was better than coding in a text editor. I may still be an amatuer, but I can definitely see the advantages of PyCharm!

The best IDE for Python-based development

I use PyCharm for all my python projects (e.g. Flask and Django apps) and also for the experimental scripts. Excellent IDE for Python. It supports almost all the tools and frameworks build around Python. Therefore, you can do anything you want, but much more easily and efficiently with PyCharm.

Pros

This is a feature rich development environment that allow write quality code, version control and deployment. I really like this IDE because I can do everything I need with a single application.

Cons

Sometimes, IDE tends to be slower in my laptop when it is running many background tasks. This could freeze the screen and affect your efficiently a little bit.

Ramindu from Virtusa Corporation

Simple and effective Python IDE

PyCharm has enabled my team to rapidly develop Python applications and run them through rigorous testing and debugging on the fly.

Pros

PyCharm provides a development environment for Python that is extremely easy to use and customize. The out-of-the-box support it provides for various package management systems, database connections and testing frameworks is phenomenal, and made even more extensible through the use of plugins. The paid edition provides even more features such as in-depth integration with more frameworks and and Python language wrappers such as Cython. PyCharm works smoothly and efficiently and makes Python development a breeze.

Cons

Having to use the paid Enterprise Edition to work with popular frameworks like Django and Flask can be a bit annoying at times.

Bart from HSI

The best Python IDE

Pros

Very high quality, feature rich, performant IDE. The community version is highly useful, and the professional version is better. Supports Linux, Windows, and Mac. Code completion, snippets, jumping to source of imported functions, integrated terminal, source control, project environment specific consoles, debugger, test running gui, configurable, themeable, more.

Cons

It's a big ship, and it can be a little complicated to drive. Configuring a project's resource directories, path variables, and python executable can be very frustrating, particularly for new users.