• Pros

• "We use this every day for printing our shipping labels for multiple different customers. It is very easy! "

• "Love that we can print even the smallest of labels for our smaller items. Print quality is superb and can be used with many different printers."

• "Very easy to use, wizard setups and menu-driven changes, very little coding but it is available, integration with other systems"

• Cons

• "Still trying to figure out how to use a label with multiple printers and not have to save the label twice, but otherwise great software."

• "Looks pretty oldschool Doesn't have smooth flow on the site, just old looking but does what it needs to"

• "Limited computer licenses and there was a bit of a learning curve when we first started using it, but customer service was great and I leave most of the design stuff up to the tech guys."

Browse BarTender Reviews

Brandon from Rapat Corporation

We use bartender for all of our label printing needs. We use drop files to trigger.

They play really well with the zebra printers, which a lot of other software doesn't (like SSRS reports). Also the integration builder is a really powerful way to automate a lot of things. It's a life saver. And the ease of creating labels is really nice. Don't forget you can print to a regular printer too. You can make some very good paper reports that are much easier to maintain than SSRS reports.

Pros

The user interface is really well defined for people that don't code. Designing label templates is as easy as power point. Setting up the fields that need to read the data is easy to set up to. There is a very short learning curve with the product.

Cons

We have it set up to run waiting for drop files (with the integration builder). Because we aren't using the front end for normal use, end users can't get error messages. If would be nice if it had a better monitoring system to know when something goes wrong. It's not that often that it does, but when it does it can cause some problems for our business.

Kimberly from Keystone Manufacturing

Industry: Medical Devices

Labels for Med Device Manufacturer

As a med device manufacturer, we were looking for a solution to a label control issue we were having in 2016. The labeling software we were using back then didn't link fields for variable data, resulting in our label operators entering lot and date information in multiple locations in different formats for a single label. It made label generation and review difficult. One of the most cited non-conformances for med device manufacturers are related to labeling, and we have had significantly less problems since transferring our device labeling to BarTender. It is easy to use the set-up wizard to get started, and has high quality training videos for all levels of use. We use it to meet a wide range of needs - from basic labels with no variable info - all the way to automatic serialization, and printing IDs from linked databases. It has been a software that has grown with us over the last 4 years, and it looks like it will continue to do so.

Pros

It seems like every labeling obstacle I've come up against in the med device realm has been handled easily by BarTender. If it is a new use for the software to generate a specific label format, barcode, etc - the Seagull Scientific website has a wealth of training files that cover how to design and manage the file.

Cons

BarTender was a signficant upgrade from Zebra Designer, and I have no complaints about its capability or functionality in everyday use.

Reasons for Switching to BarTender

Improved label control features to address compliance issues

Jonathan from University of Washington

Bad

I get a paycheck for working with it twice a month

Pros

I didn't pay for the software or the license. The software download is free, and has a 30 day free trial.

Cons

Very disappointed in the new 2016 version. The new 2016 version crashes anytime I attempt to update a database connection from one of our old XML source that worked seamlessly in 10.4. (They will still work so long as you don't touch them). Bartender then restarts and attempts to recover the bad information (which will in turn crash bartender.) Was this product actually run by QA before release? I suspect there was nothing but plug and play sceanrios tested. Very little insight into customer service. Have a lot of difficulty getting answers from the tech team. This is what happens when a company cuts back on 'costs' by elimiating quality assurance and customer support. SOme of the new 'features' have absolutely destroyed Database/setup connections. After upgrading from 10.4, all tables from our XML payloads now crash bartender when you try to do ANYTHING with them (Great coding guys). As a result, the text file source has become quite useless unless you are using a csv. Field Alias for Named database connections don't store with the named connection which makes it pointless as you will need to re-alias these things every time you change datasource. This defeats the purpose of naming/reusing a datasource if you have to re-alias all fields everytime you use it. Again, I am not convinced that this was even tested before release. Perhaps I missed something about Alpha in the whitepapers...

Response from Seagull Scientific

Replied March 2018

Hi Jonathan, I apologize for the issues you're experiencing. They are as unacceptable to all of us as here they are to you. We've brought this to the attention of BarTender's VP of Technical Services, and he's reviewing your support tickets to see how we can help. I'd also like to offer reassurance that we haven't had any reductions to our QA or technical support teams. We recognize how important these functions are, and are, in fact, investing in their growth. I understand Capterra is providing my contact information to you. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me. I'd like to know how this turns out.

Nazlin from MSN Business Solutions

Industry: Information Services

BarTender Regular user

BarTender is my best label printing solutions partner for the companies I worked using Microsoft Dynamics Navisiona, LS Retail and locally developed software solutions. I have been using BarTender for many years and I could not found any alternate product.

Pros

I am very happy with BarTender software. It gives us the ability to design the Barcode label on our own customization format even without a programing/coding knowledge to print a single label or thousands at a single click.

Cons

I would like to see in new update a better online help center specially online chat system or at least online submitting. It will be more convenience if the label printing comes in the order on which we send.

Easy-to-learn and offers diverse options for barcoding including serialization.

Pros

It’s so easy to get around the user interface, even for people who have no experience working with code. There’s not much of a learning curve to this application. Anyone can create labels with great ease and diversity. The integration builder provides an avenue for automation and makes it easy to select an action we want duplicated. The program also works very well with zebra printers. It also has a the serialization feature which is pretty cool. Their website’s got a ton information that help you maximize the program like webinars,training videos, and other guides

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that they don’t have a live chat feature on their website, which would really help if you’re already on there and looking for specific information.

Maricela from TPI

Great Barcode Designer

Pros

Great and easy way to design an print barcodes, whether that be on a label or a hangtag, BarTender does the job! Easy step by step process, literally walks you through printing the type of Barcode you need.

Cons

It's a pricey software! It would have been nice if they offered support, like a chat, after purchase.

Karl from PlatinumCode

A good well rounded software for our label printing needs here

much better system for designing and printing labels than we previously had! Faster and easier to train persons in....

Pros

Very easy to use, simple drag and drop and very easy to modify text boxes, etc. Love how they offer the free trial to test before buying. Also, it is compatible with just about every printer on the planet!

Cons

Kinda hard to come up with Cons for this software apart from the fact that they don't offer live chat, as well as pricing, hard to determine what the cost is - the website doesn't have prices on it, and when it comes down to it this is a fairly pricey software, then again - you get what you pay for, go figure :)

Ryan from FedEx Office

Industry: Printing

Best barcode creation software I've found.

I absolutly love this program. If anybody ever asked me for a few suggestions about how to make barcodes, I would only point them in the direction of this program. Its all you need.

Pros

This program is a one stop shop for creating whatever barcode you need. I haven't been able to push it anywhere close to its limits because its always been simple to create the correct style barcode I needed for my various customers projects. I would research what kind of barcode I needed to make and when I go into the program all the settings or barcode types have always been there.

Cons

Its not really a con but a warning. Make sure you know the specifications of the barcode type you need to create and plug the correct information into the proper space because the program really is as good as the knowledge of the user.

Marty from Graybar

Easy Program to use

Pros

Bartender makes my life easy making customer labels. I use Bartender to make scan labels and it seems to be the easiest to use. I've used 2 others and they become more of a challenge. They seem to have it figured out. It's easy to select and print.

Cons

There's a lot to know, to make it work. I've learned to use the instructions with Bartender. I wish it was easier to make changes without having to go to my original file to fix issues or add items.

Ferdi from VHL IT Security Training BV

Using Bartender Pro for label printers

Pros

This software is so easy to set up and configure with external data sources, I was really amazed by this. The latest implementation of Bartender was a central printing solution for label printers. The data for the labels originated from a Filemaker database and a Dynamics solution. For this purpose we've used some of Bartenders automation features.

Cons

The only con I've experienced so far for Bartender Professional is the lack of (written) documentation (or I just couldn't find it online besides some videos on the support sub domain). On the other hand, I didn't really need the documentation as it was so easy to configure.

Nathan from Blizzard Lighting, LLC

Useful and Functional

We print Serialization labels, warning labels, barcodes, warranty information and much more with this program. We have owned this software for the better part of 6 years and currently have no plans on changing. Overall I would recommend this product for a manufacturing environment with label printing needs.

Pros

We have an older version but this product has a ton of features and integrates well with our network and printers. We use this program to print thousands of labels for all of our product and the customization that is available is very useful.

Cons

Licensing is an issue. Every time our server is unavailable for an extended period of time it will give al the users an error and make the product lock up. In a world of SAS I feel that they could improve on this kind of architecture. That said, we do use an older version of the software but I would make sure that new versions can handle this issue better.

Cody from Flying S

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Used for printing serialization labels by integration functionality with SQL Database

Fast and easy creation of labels. Ability to track rev changes on labels.

Pros

The diverse functionality of creating and printing labels. Creating labels is fast and easy. Integrations is a great tool and are very powerful when wanting an action repeated easily. Librarian is a great feature to ensure label revs are tracked and managed properly.

Cons

The cost is based per printer. We have multiple printers for the sake of not having to travel to retrieve your label, however, for the price tag it's not worth activating a printer that only gets used once a week. The integrations is very finicky and occasionally needs to be restarted for no reason at all. The printer default settings do not save and revert back to original so I manually have to change the print speed and darkness on each label.

September 2016

Taylor from Wheelhouse

Industry: Market Research

September 2016

BarTender 2016 is Great for Any Business Big or Small

BarTender 2016 by Seagull Scientific is really a great label or barcode software for any business no matter the size! It is sophisticated and professional yet very easy to use, especially for someone like me who was trying to get their small business off the ground. The software itself is a little pricey for small businesses, but you are definitely paying for the quality of the product. The process of creating labels and barcodes is very smooth and easy to customize. You can add symbols, images, text, and even your logo which was fantastic. Seagull doesn't have a chat program, but their website has many great resources including training videos, webinars, and other guides to ensure that you use their product to its full potential. Here is a link to those resources: http://www.seagullscientific.com/support/bartender-training-videos/ They also make it really easy to download and update your printer drivers which tends to be a pain with other products. I highly recommend Seagull Scientific's BarTender 2016. You can try a 30 day free trial here: http://www.seagullscientific.com/label-software/barcode-label-design-and-printing/

Pros

Sophisticated, professional, yet easy to use Great resources for software training as well as information for updating your drivers Good for any size business

Cons

A little bit on the pricey side No access to live chat support

Dale from Watlow

Great software with enough features for our business

One solution for all site printers and standardization of labels across the company.

Oliver from LS Logistics

Great for Logistics!

Overall we really like using bartender- no complaints

Pros

Cons

The cost of getting additional licenses does add up if you do not have the demand for it but want it on multiple computers.

Paul from Prince Minerals

Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Used for all kinds of labels within our organisation

Pros

ease of use. Particularly like the serialisation feature for barcoding labels. It has the options to use many different types of barcode

Cons

Although it still works without, it has to link up to the internet for licence checking. This can slow down the opening of the application.

It's Just OK

Pros

Can create a full product label complete with UPC code Has the option of only being able to change the lot code and best before date (for product labels)

Cons

Hard to edit texts as it often takes you to a separate window Text formatting is strange, size of text increases as you change the text box so it's difficult to control the text size Not easy to make a label from scratch Hard to make a table format ex. for nutritional facts table - must insert all the lines by yourself

Response from Seagull Scientific

Replied February 2019

Good news! We have simple solutions to your issues. BarTender's auto size feature has been turned on in your system. To return to the default setting of static text size: - Right click on the text object - Choose "Properties" - In the new window, choose "Text format" - Uncheck the Auto Size box Text will now remain a consistent size. BarTender offers pre-formatted new FDA nutrition labels for both the one- and two-column format, and the present FDA nutrition label is included in the BarTender documents folder of your software. These templates include business rules to meet FDA's font size and spacing requirements, and you'll be able to use the labels' variable data fields to autopopulate the nutrition info directly from your database. I'd like to send the new label file to you. Contact me via the email address Capterra provides. You should never have to insert all those lines by yourself!! More help here: https://support.seagullscientific.com/hc/en-us

Great label generator

Pros

Professional software for creating industrial labels, bar codes etc. Perfect match with Thermal Transfer printers.

Cons

I'd love to be able to increase printing speed a little bit more

Darin from EBSCO Industries, Inc.

Great Barcode Label product have used it for many years on multiple versions

Enables two of our high volume distribution centers to print high quality labels as needed, without concern of quality control issues

Pros

I really like the Online Activation and network label printer license server, this helps tremendously managing the Active users / printers on the network.

Cons

Older versions had issues with activating the license keys, but this has been eliminated on Newer versions. The most recent versions of the software have proven to be very stable.

BarTender makes business more comfortable.

Good solution for our business. This is very Fast and easier for train person in barTender. I have got high-quality custom labels.

Pros

I have been using BarTender since 2017.It is really good and easy to use. I really like to work with it. Creating labels is easy and fast and I had design more than 1k labels. Setting up the fields that I need to delivered the data is easy to settings up. BitTender web site helps a lot to get the information such as video tutorials and other guides. First time I got the trial version. It is really good 30 days trail version. If I purchase for first time, I don’t know software is good or bad. Trail version save the money.

Cons

First time I started with BarTender version 9.0, I guess which is oldest version. I was good for me until I start to work on version 10.1. That is much better update. When I want to figure out some problems there is no online QA or technical support team. There are no more cons I found.

Dustin from Miller Electric

Bartender Review

Pros

Can design labels Can make multiple labels that save across platforms Can have it right on your desktop

Jennifer from Nowell Steel & Supply Co Inc

Clunky UI and Confusing Form Setup

Pros

A customer of ours requires that we generate bar codes for each of their shipments. They directed us to BarTender. I consider myself fairly fluent in computers, but BarTender's clunky UI and complicated form creation causes me headaches. The software is not user friendly nor is it intuitive. At the end of the day, I am able to create the required bar codes and Packing Lists our customer requires. But the hoops I have to jump to get there discourage me from recommending this software.

Cons

Once a form is created, you cannot input the data directly onto the form. You have to use a data input screen that you reach through Print Preview. It always takes me two passes to get this to work. I input the data once knowing the form will not print it for some unknown reason. I then have to re-input the data a second time and will finally be able to print. All of this could be avoided if I could input data directly onto the form.

Bob from Breaker Technology

Industry: Machinery

BarCoding for the Enterprise

Generally makes good labels that run consistently. Barcodes print clearly and are readable using our scanners. A good addition to our environment.

Pros

Relatively easy to use Works well with our enterprise report generator Runs consistently

Cons

It is difficult to get it to use our custom label size Sometimes it will not recognize the printers that are configured to run with it

Dillon from Mini Systems Inc

I use this to create barcodes and labels

Pros

The features that I like the most about this software include: ease of use, functionality, great customer support, easy to setup and maintain

Sing from Haflinger

Great to use for items to meet requirements from our vendors.

Allows us to create labels when ever needed for our items and create custom labels for special vendors.

Pros

The ease of use to make labels and meet the requirements for different vendors we work with. Also, creating labels for items with lost or missing labels.

Cons

Not able to add all minor details needed for some vendors, not requirement.

kim from mini systems inc

I don't really use it. I only print labels

Printing labels

Pros

the feature that I like most of the software, included ease of use intuitive print station and functionality

Cons

The feature that I disliked the most about this software are it's limited control of printer setting

A very useful tool!

Pros

It is very effective in doing what it promises and it looks really like a native application. It is not intrusive as well with its icon.

Cons

Sometimes it lacks slightly but it doesn't affect its usage.

Raul from CNC Manufacturing

Industry: Machinery

Bartender

Pros

Easy to use template. No need for too much tech support .

Cons

Licensing limitations, wish we could use the same for at least 2 computers.

Melissa from Bookkeeping - Independent Contractor

Amazing time saver with consistent reads

BarTender Label Creation Software

We are able to create quick labels for production where we don't have a need to automate from ERP.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. It took a bit to figure out how to add fields and define where they come from in a data source, but other than that, it's very functional for our need. I understand you can also automate labels from our ERP System which is SyteLine (CloudSuite Industrial). This software can be licensed by printer and that is beneficial for us.

Cons

The thing I liked least about BarTender was trying to figure out how to get the fields added and defined by a datasource. I also had a bit of trouble setting the page format based on the printer. Once you choose a printer it's hard to change it from my experience, I ended up creating a new label altogether.

Reasons for Choosing BarTender

Most easy to use in my opinion.

Winston from Yu Shan Co USA

Industry: Wholesale

Best label customization software ever

Pros

It is so easy to customize whatever we want on bartender. We use barterder to meet our clients' requirements on labels

Cons

Sometimes it will be very time consuming to drag for the layout(alignment) I still remember how painful and stressful when we tried to come up something that has very strick requirements.

Jonathan from landis Logistics

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

A solution to a weird problem

it ended up doing what I needed without having to research too deeply.

Pros

I loved that anything I could think of needing to do, bartender had a way to implement,

Cons

I didn't like that there are so many different variations of the software with so many different things that those versions could or couldn't do. Also a lot of the functionality that you would think would be a front and center advertised feature is buried deep in weird menus

Rana from Mini-Systems, Inc.

Bartender software is very easy for the user. The GUI is very intuitive and easy to train new users

Pros

I like that it is intuitive and easy to use. I like that changes can be easily made to the program.

Cons

There isn't really anything that I don't like about the software, but it would be nice if there was a way to incorporate special characters into the labels.

Phillip from Mini-Systems Inc

Used for all our product and misc inhouse labeling.

Pros

One of the major pluses is that you can design labels off line away from production. Multiple labeling share labeling formats from a server.

Cons

It is more expensive than some of the other cheapo labeling software but is worth the money if you are using constantly.

Jennifer from Logiscenter

Industry: Wholesale

BarTender 2019 is perfect for any size company

The overall experience was great. We downloaded the 2019 free trial version and worked fantastically. You can find the free trial version here - https://www.logiscenter.co.uk/bartender-free-download You can find the software on special offer at the moment at https://www.logiscenter.co.uk/pos-printers-star-sm-t300dw Definitely, recommend trying it out and download the free version first.

Pros

There is a sense of familiarity even if you haven't used it before. You have the option to create designs of your own! It's very efficient

Cons

Not as much support as we'd have liked...

brian from Zyris

Industry: Medical Devices

Pay for Customer service?

If you don't have the maintenance contract you email your question into the CS team and they get to it when they get to it. If you don't mind the fee then you are fine.

Pros

I like the design capabilities and user interface

Cons

Customer has to be enrolled in an annual maintenance agreement to use customer service.

Michael from PBC

Not sure why you would use this

Bartender is ok but we can get the same functionality from free alternatives.

Pros

It does indeed make barcodes and labels and the learning curve isn't too intense. I can usually yeah a new operator in 30 minutes

Cons

You can do the same thing with Open Office, Google Docs or Microsoft Word with a barcode font. Also it crashes routinely on our system.

Barcode Printer

In general this software gets the job done. It could be a bit more user friendly so people that have not used it could figure it out easily

Pros

I like how this software connects to our sales/inventory software. It makes it easy to print out barcode stickers when needed.

Cons

I wish it were easier to edit the design of the barcode stickers

Lots of features and great support

Pros

Software is very flexible, can be configured for variety of setups. Support for various licensing scenarios, support for lots of various printers and formats. Technical support team is very knowledgeable and easy to contact if needed.

Cons

The licensing for a single computer is a little confusing when it comes to how it actually works, and troubleshooting, it relies on a windows service that looks like it should be running on a server, but nonetheless it works and works well.

Jason from Mater Group

Not first-time-user friendly, but very feature-rich

I was asked to use this software to create various barcodes for a new product range my organisation was releasing. As a first-time user, I did find the software to be very difficult to navigate. After some trial and error though, it became obvious to me that the software was very diverse. For someone who knows what they're doing, the barcoding options are very diverse.

Pros

Barcode output options are very diverse.

Cons

Really not helpful for first-time users.

Gabriela from FIH

to design an barcode for a new product that must be manufactured on production lines of a client ...

to design an urgent barcode for a label of a new product requested by a client of us on the company ..

Pros

its easy to use, the direct person who print the serials barcode can be manage the fonts and images to print fast

Cons

if some small images could be inserted on desgins it'll be perfect to create some labels using the needed code with a text and image

Matthew from DHL Supply Chain

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Bar Tender Software

Pros

Program is good for printing special labels

Cons

Program printing settings have to be checked each time before printing

Great program once you figure out how it works

Pros

We use BarTender for customer labels and it does a great job.

Cons

It takes time to learn how to set it up and use it.

Joshua from SPEA America

Industry: Semiconductors

This is a very useful software and functional

I was able to comply with our customers request to have shipments barcoded instead of just packing slips. it became a requirement for most of our customers

Pros

I like the way I can easily change all my fields information instead of having to recreate every label from scratch

Cons

There were some issues with navigation and finding the right options i wanted. i found them eventually but a editable favorits commands list would be helpful

Joe from Mini-Systems inc

Industry: Chemicals

Very easy to use which is great for someone like me who has little patience.

Benefits were being able to make my own label on how I wanted it to look and not having to order from someone else and settling for their design.

Pros

I am a Safety Lead and I am in charge of labeling all in house chemicals. This program helped greatly in that it had everything I needed.

Cons

sometimes it prints outside the label. Takes a bit of fidangling but once you figure it out your good to go.

Paul from De santis industrial Springs and stampings

The best system we evaluated

The way the system works, easy to understand and the fact that they charge licenses only for the number of printers, not the number of computers you have the software installed on make the system worth way more than you pay for it.

Karthik from Cummins

Fast and efficient software, makes my business life very easy.

Fast and efficient software, makes my business life very easy. I would recommend this software to anyone who needs to utilize this type of service.

BarTender Print Labels Like A Pro

Pros

I really like that I can easily print labels for packaging, and integration with SAP.

Cons

I haven't really used other bar code software so I don't think I have any complaints.

Chris from Link Solutions, Inc.

Laser Etching Tool

Pros

A few quick clicks and this system can make a template to use on the selected laser etching machine.

Cons

Sometimes when the software does not connect to the license server, it blocks any attempt for the software to print.