BarTender Software Reviews

BarTender Software Reviews

Find out more:

FrontRunners 2020

Find out more:

• icon"This product is very user friendly. I use it for my home bakery and print directly onto cookies."
  • icon"It gives us the ability to design the Barcode label on our own customization format even without a programing/coding knowledge to print a single label or thousands at a single click."
  • icon"I like that it is intuitive and easy to use. I like that changes can be easily made to the program."
  • icon"I also had a bit of trouble setting the page format based on the printer. Once you choose a printer it's hard to change it from my experience, I ended up creating a new label altogether."
  • icon"It is difficult to get it to use our custom label size. Sometimes it will not recognize the printers that are configured to run with it."
  • icon"Every time our server is unavailable for an extended period of time it will give al the users an error and make the product lock up."

All BarTender Reviews

Brandon

We use bartender for all of our label printing needs. We use drop files to trigger.

They play really well with the zebra printers, which a lot of other software doesn't (like SSRS reports). Also the integration builder is a really powerful way to automate a lot of things. It's a life saver. And the ease of creating labels is really nice. Don't forget you can print to a regular printer too. You can make some very good paper reports that are much easier to maintain than SSRS reports.

Pros

The user interface is really well defined for people that don't code. Designing label templates is as easy as power point. Setting up the fields that need to read the data is easy to set up to. There is a very short learning curve with the product.

Cons

We have it set up to run waiting for drop files (with the integration builder). Because we aren't using the front end for normal use, end users can't get error messages. If would be nice if it had a better monitoring system to know when something goes wrong. It's not that often that it does, but when it does it can cause some problems for our business.

Kimberly

Industry: Medical Devices

Labels for Med Device Manufacturer

As a med device manufacturer, we were looking for a solution to a label control issue we were having in 2016. The labeling software we were using back then didn't link fields for variable data, resulting in our label operators entering lot and date information in multiple locations in different formats for a single label. It made label generation and review difficult. One of the most cited non-conformances for med device manufacturers are related to labeling, and we have had significantly less problems since transferring our device labeling to BarTender. It is easy to use the set-up wizard to get started, and has high quality training videos for all levels of use. We use it to meet a wide range of needs - from basic labels with no variable info - all the way to automatic serialization, and printing IDs from linked databases. It has been a software that has grown with us over the last 4 years, and it looks like it will continue to do so.

Pros

It seems like every labeling obstacle I've come up against in the med device realm has been handled easily by BarTender. If it is a new use for the software to generate a specific label format, barcode, etc - the Seagull Scientific website has a wealth of training files that cover how to design and manage the file.

Cons

BarTender was a signficant upgrade from Zebra Designer, and I have no complaints about its capability or functionality in everyday use.

Reasons for switching to BarTender

Improved label control features to address compliance issues

Jonathan

Bad

I get a paycheck for working with it twice a month

Pros

I didn't pay for the software or the license. The software download is free, and has a 30 day free trial.

Cons

Very disappointed in the new 2016 version. The new 2016 version crashes anytime I attempt to update a database connection from one of our old XML source that worked seamlessly in 10.4. (They will still work so long as you don't touch them). Bartender then restarts and attempts to recover the bad information (which will in turn crash bartender.) Was this product actually run by QA before release? I suspect there was nothing but plug and play sceanrios tested. Very little insight into customer service. Have a lot of difficulty getting answers from the tech team. This is what happens when a company cuts back on 'costs' by elimiating quality assurance and customer support. SOme of the new 'features' have absolutely destroyed Database/setup connections. After upgrading from 10.4, all tables from our XML payloads now crash bartender when you try to do ANYTHING with them (Great coding guys). As a result, the text file source has become quite useless unless you are using a csv. Field Alias for Named database connections don't store with the named connection which makes it pointless as you will need to re-alias these things every time you change datasource. This defeats the purpose of naming/reusing a datasource if you have to re-alias all fields everytime you use it. Again, I am not convinced that this was even tested before release. Perhaps I missed something about Alpha in the whitepapers...

Response from Seagull Scientific

Hi Jonathan, I apologize for the issues you're experiencing. They are as unacceptable to all of us as here they are to you. We've brought this to the attention of BarTender's VP of Technical Services, and he's reviewing your support tickets to see how we can help. I'd also like to offer reassurance that we haven't had any reductions to our QA or technical support teams. We recognize how important these functions are, and are, in fact, investing in their growth. I understand Capterra is providing my contact information to you. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me. I'd like to know how this turns out.

Replied March 2018

Easy-to-learn and offers diverse options for barcoding including serialization.

Pros

It’s so easy to get around the user interface, even for people who have no experience working with code. There’s not much of a learning curve to this application. Anyone can create labels with great ease and diversity. The integration builder provides an avenue for automation and makes it easy to select an action we want duplicated. The program also works very well with zebra printers. It also has a the serialization feature which is pretty cool. Their website’s got a ton information that help you maximize the program like webinars,training videos, and other guides

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that they don’t have a live chat feature on their website, which would really help if you’re already on there and looking for specific information.

Gary

Keeps my bar organised and optimised

This has definitely optimised my workflow and ability to keep track of my iMac.

Pros

The programme allows me to customise my bar to easily see the information and apps that I use all the time and hide (but still be able to access) the items I use less frequently.

Cons

I can genuinely say that there is nothing that I need that the app doesn't do.

Maricela

Industry: Warehousing

Great Barcode Designer

Pros

Great and easy way to design an print barcodes, whether that be on a label or a hangtag, BarTender does the job! Easy step by step process, literally walks you through printing the type of Barcode you need.

Cons

It's a pricey software! It would have been nice if they offered support, like a chat, after purchase.

Karl

A good well rounded software for our label printing needs here

much better system for designing and printing labels than we previously had! Faster and easier to train persons in....

Pros

Very easy to use, simple drag and drop and very easy to modify text boxes, etc. Love how they offer the free trial to test before buying. Also, it is compatible with just about every printer on the planet!

Cons

Kinda hard to come up with Cons for this software apart from the fact that they don't offer live chat, as well as pricing, hard to determine what the cost is - the website doesn't have prices on it, and when it comes down to it this is a fairly pricey software, then again - you get what you pay for, go figure :)

Marty

Easy Program to use

Pros

Bartender makes my life easy making customer labels. I use Bartender to make scan labels and it seems to be the easiest to use. I've used 2 others and they become more of a challenge. They seem to have it figured out. It's easy to select and print.

Cons

There's a lot to know, to make it work. I've learned to use the instructions with Bartender. I wish it was easier to make changes without having to go to my original file to fix issues or add items.

Ryan

Industry: Printing

Best barcode creation software I've found.

I absolutly love this program. If anybody ever asked me for a few suggestions about how to make barcodes, I would only point them in the direction of this program. Its all you need.

Pros

This program is a one stop shop for creating whatever barcode you need. I haven't been able to push it anywhere close to its limits because its always been simple to create the correct style barcode I needed for my various customers projects. I would research what kind of barcode I needed to make and when I go into the program all the settings or barcode types have always been there.

Cons

Its not really a con but a warning. Make sure you know the specifications of the barcode type you need to create and plug the correct information into the proper space because the program really is as good as the knowledge of the user.

Ferdi

Using Bartender Pro for label printers

Pros

This software is so easy to set up and configure with external data sources, I was really amazed by this. The latest implementation of Bartender was a central printing solution for label printers. The data for the labels originated from a Filemaker database and a Dynamics solution. For this purpose we've used some of Bartenders automation features.

Cons

The only con I've experienced so far for Bartender Professional is the lack of (written) documentation (or I just couldn't find it online besides some videos on the support sub domain). On the other hand, I didn't really need the documentation as it was so easy to configure.

Nathan

Useful and Functional

We print Serialization labels, warning labels, barcodes, warranty information and much more with this program. We have owned this software for the better part of 6 years and currently have no plans on changing. Overall I would recommend this product for a manufacturing environment with label printing needs.

Pros

We have an older version but this product has a ton of features and integrates well with our network and printers. We use this program to print thousands of labels for all of our product and the customization that is available is very useful.

Cons

Licensing is an issue. Every time our server is unavailable for an extended period of time it will give al the users an error and make the product lock up. In a world of SAS I feel that they could improve on this kind of architecture. That said, we do use an older version of the software but I would make sure that new versions can handle this issue better.

Cody

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Used for printing serialization labels by integration functionality with SQL Database

Fast and easy creation of labels. Ability to track rev changes on labels.

Pros

The diverse functionality of creating and printing labels. Creating labels is fast and easy. Integrations is a great tool and are very powerful when wanting an action repeated easily. Librarian is a great feature to ensure label revs are tracked and managed properly.

Cons

The cost is based per printer. We have multiple printers for the sake of not having to travel to retrieve your label, however, for the price tag it's not worth activating a printer that only gets used once a week. The integrations is very finicky and occasionally needs to be restarted for no reason at all. The printer default settings do not save and revert back to original so I manually have to change the print speed and darkness on each label.

Taylor

Industry: Market Research

September 2016

BarTender 2016 is Great for Any Business Big or Small

BarTender 2016 by Seagull Scientific is really a great label or barcode software for any business no matter the size! It is sophisticated and professional yet very easy to use, especially for someone like me who was trying to get their small business off the ground. The software itself is a little pricey for small businesses, but you are definitely paying for the quality of the product. The process of creating labels and barcodes is very smooth and easy to customize. You can add symbols, images, text, and even your logo which was fantastic. Seagull doesn't have a chat program, but their website has many great resources including training videos, webinars, and other guides to ensure that you use their product to its full potential. Here is a link to those resources: http://www.seagullscientific.com/support/bartender-training-videos/ They also make it really easy to download and update your printer drivers which tends to be a pain with other products. I highly recommend Seagull Scientific's BarTender 2016. You can try a 30 day free trial here: http://www.seagullscientific.com/label-software/barcode-label-design-and-printing/

Pros

Sophisticated, professional, yet easy to use Great resources for software training as well as information for updating your drivers Good for any size business

Cons

A little bit on the pricey side No access to live chat support

Nazlin

Industry: Information Services

BarTender Regular user

BarTender is my best label printing solutions partner for the companies I worked using Microsoft Dynamics Navisiona, LS Retail and locally developed software solutions. I have been using BarTender for many years and I could not found any alternate product.

Pros

I am very happy with BarTender software. It gives us the ability to design the Barcode label on our own customization format even without a programing/coding knowledge to print a single label or thousands at a single click.

Cons

I would like to see in new update a better online help center specially online chat system or at least online submitting. It will be more convenience if the label printing comes in the order on which we send.

Dale

Great software with enough features for our business

One solution for all site printers and standardization of labels across the company.

Pros

Very easy to use, wizard setups and menu-driven changes, very little coding but it is available, integration with other systems

Cons

Still trying to figure out how to use a label with multiple printers and not have to save the label twice, but otherwise great software.

Oliver