Actionstep

Actionstep Reviews

RATING:

• icon"It is very easy to use and navigate. I would recommend this portal to other paralegals."
  • icon"The calendar is great too. This is miles above any other legal software I have used."
  • icon"Good visual layout, adding new matters is relatively simple, scratchpad feature is useful."
  • icon"Options for integration with accounting and invoicing software is fairly limited. Learning curve is a bit steeper than other cloud based systems."
  • icon"Integration in our firm was somewhat difficult only due to time constraints; nothing to do with the product itself."
  • icon"Search results are limited to 200, no matter how many contacts you have from that city, and you can only see 10 per page, and the results are not sortable; they come in random order."

Browse all Actionstep Reviews

• Have you used Actionstep and would like to share your experience with others?

Daniel Danny

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Stick with it - it's amazing

Overall, it has been fantastic. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was incredibly helpful, easy going, and keen to answer my questions. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] also incredibly knowledgeable and honest in his suggestions, I think he was one of the main reasons I decided to proceed with Actionstep - and I am very happy with that decision.

Pros

The features and functionality built in to Actionstep are amazing. This is a company that actually understands legal practice and legal software. I am impressed that Actionstep offer features that should be standard in every legal software, but aren't always included.

Cons

It does take some time to get used to it and to actually make it work for you. The key is to actually spend time using it and customising it to your needs. This isn't a plug and play solution out of the box, and firms will need to take time to make sure that they have configured it to meet their needs.

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

Pricing was much more accessible, the contracts did not lock the firm in for a long period of time, and it offered the features and functionality I needed without the hassle.

Response from Actionstep Software

Thank you Daniel. Fantastic to hear you are making the most of the functionality built into actionstep - we pride ourselves on being an All-In-One solution. If you have any questions - please don't hesitate to contact our support team on support@actionstep.com or in our in-app chat.

Replied July 2020

Carol

Lots of Customization options, but lacking some basic common sense

Mixed. A number of positive features, but also a number of time consuming and expensive issues to set it up and keep going, and almost "TOO" much for our needs, since it is missing some simple features.

Pros

For a small law office, there is a lot of potential to customize the matter setup and use different workflows. Also as a supervisor there is complete transparency so I see everything my support staff is doing, I like that the system does a complete backup of saved documents and matters. The Home page is very workable. And the timekeeping functions are good. I also really like the Microsoft Outook integration, even if I keep having to reboot it.

Cons

First, something simple. Make an "out of office" message available through the email system. When I set this up on my outlook, then even though it is integrated, if the client sends an email directly through the Actionstep platform,they do not receive that out of office message. Second, the billing system is not user-friendly. First, the billing templates are a lot harder to set up than they should be, even with the pre-made templates. Second, the trust accounting is difficult to integrate into the bills. Yes, it is there but not in a way that is client friendly. Third, this is so simple I fail to understand why it isnt in place. Make some simple billing features automatic like the ability to print aging on a bill. They have a form for it but it just looks weird! And why shouldn't you just be able to carry over onto a new bill in an easy way. Other case management software has this in a very easy format. Also, when we upgraded to the new billing format there are some ongoing and permanent glitches that make my bookeeper's job harder. Finally, this is a costly system compared to some others in the legal field. And we have received word that the cost is increasing. We will be in the process of reviewing other options. We may decide to stick with Actionstep since there are a lot of good features, but we don't feel strongly enough to keep it with a price increase down the road, even if we are "grandfathered" temporarily. We hired a consultant to help us get it set up.

Reasons for choosing Actionstep

Case supervision and backup, ability to customize workflow.

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

Mycase was lacking some oversight issues (Attorney could not see what the paralegal was doing unless copied) and did not back up documents. I think the oversight issues have now been fixed.

Response from Actionstep Software

Carol - thanks for taking the time to write the review. We really appreciate your positive comments about Actionstep - particularly regarding transparency and Microsoft Office Integration. You have a number of suggestions which I am going to take to our product development team - hearing feedback like this is really helpful for us in planning out future product development work. We will be in touch with you directly to discuss these further. Thanks again.

Replied July 2019

Guy

Tried and tested

We have been using Actionstep for nearly 10 years, relatively trouble-free, and it has proved to be easy to use for new employees, and has met our needs.

Pros

Improved over time; Covers all requirements; Integrates well with MS Office

Cons

There is no way to download all emails in a matter, for example, to provide to a consultant for a taxation of costs, or when transferring a matter

Reasons for choosing Actionstep

Cloud-based; comprehensive; quick and responsive user-experience

Peter

March 2022

Upsides: File Management Downsides: Software Bugs, Customer Service, Integrations, and Set-up Costs

Unfortunately, the customer service is not up to par of that of our previous software, expect to receive a response from their support team 24-48 hours after you have contacted them. They have never answered the phone when I've called for immediate support, so I've stop trying this and just email even though i feel like for the amount we are paying we should be receiving quicker support.

Pros

We like the matter dashboard a lot and it's probably the firms favorite feature since all the most important information is readily available.

Cons

INTEGRATIONS: If you're looking to switch to AS because of the integrations they offer make sure they actually work exactly how you intend them to. Lawpay: If you use lawpay their integration is useless since it only grabs new charges and does not include any past due amounts. I brought this up because we really wanted this to function, but we were told they would not fix the issue. InfoTrack - One of the reasons we switched to AS and they don't actually integrate in US, even though their website states they do... Outlook - The bottom bar of the desktop version may not bill the correct amount. I asked for this to be fixed since it's easier to use this bar than the right bar they have, but it's been over 9 months... BILLING: If you close your billing at the end of the month be prepared to manually enter Trust payments to allocate the funds on the closing date and not for the next billing cycle, since the automated billing will automatically post these payments on the date you are running them, not on the date which you wish will be allocated. Another feature I have brought up, but essentially fell on deaf ears. If you work with probate matters where you don't bill your time, so you input a $0 amount, and you have matters that weren't worked on for the month, you cannot filter out between the two, so you'll end up printing bills for all matters. This is something i asked to have fixed in July 2021 and have yet to hear back regarding a fix (3/3/22)

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

The our previous Client management software had a very poorly built practice management system, but had a really robust billing system

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Peter, Thank you for your feedback. I have passed this on to our product team. I have also passed on your details to our Customer Success Manager who will reach out to you to find solutions for these pain points. Thanks, Matt

Carolyn

August 2022

An all round good system and makes legal practice easier and more efficient

Overall an excellent experience

Pros

The fact that the product integrates both legal case management and business management in a single platform

Cons

The plugin with Office products can be problematic sometimes. The plug in drops off when the user logs into a different device

Reasons for choosing Actionstep

Overall a better product and better pricing

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

To improve efficiency and functionality

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Carolyn, Thank you so much for such a positive review! Great to hear you and your firm are seeing the benefits of our all-in-one solution! Thanks

Replied August 2022

Damien

Industry: Law Practice

Catastrophic customer service and lack of common sense - too bad, it's a promising software

Given these problems, we are preparing our exit. It is an economic disaster for us (losses in implementation and losses on invoicing).

Pros

Powerful and easily editable workflow engine. Really. Mass billing features. Customizable fields. Extremely powerful templating.

Cons

Bugs in invoicing and accounting made me lose a lot of money. Despite corrections, some invoices do not appear at the customer level and we work in files with open balances. It's very stressful, too. Money flows are case centred, not customer centred. This is highly problematic (retainers go on a case and not on the client, so you have to open X tabs for X cases opened in this client to make sure you are not going to send an invoice to a client who has provisioned you...). User acceptance is difficult. It is complicated to require changes in workflows and field fills (this is not the responsibility of Actionstep, but don't think it will run by itself. You will need to coach your employees). Customer service is catastrophic. I screamed for help when the system started to double-deduct (!) the retainers. It took 4 months to get a solution. In the meantime, I have continued to lose a lot of money. I have doubts about their financial strength, since six months after I started using the software, I received a notice of license increase. When I asked for some help to switch to a cheaper license, I was told that it would not be possible to keep my data (!!!!).

Reasons for choosing Actionstep

Workflow features and templating.

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

We wanted rock-solid invoicing and accounting features.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Damien, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and I'm very sorry you haven't had a great experience. To address your feedback; we have expanded our support team and our support processes. We now have in-app chat direct to our team to help troubleshoot any issues that arise. Additionally - we have made numerous improvement to simplify our software. Thank you again for your response

Kimbro

Lifeline

My overall experience with Actionstep is excellent.

Pros

ActionStep is easy to use and maintain as a central portal for keeping up with client files and work between staff.

Cons

I wish the software had better search functions including an ability to look up contacts by phone number.

Reasons for choosing Actionstep

I like the dashboard feature the best.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Kimbro, Thank you so much for such a positive review! Fantastic to hear that Actionstep has helped to keep your files & team organized. Thanks

Replied August 2022

Peter

Peter Mericka - Long-term Actionstep User

After trying no less than 5 different software packages over the years I met [SENSITIVE CONTENT] at a Legal IT conference and saw the potential of Actionstep. Over the years since I first signed up with Actionstep it has moved with the times, constantly improving but also constantly delivering the tools, staff satisfaction and safety that regulators, staff and most importantly clients have come to expect.

Pros

The ability to build my practice management system my way, using tools available within Actionstep and also through the integration of other applications.

Cons

The need to manually link incoming emails to matter files. I mention this because I came to love the ability to create a unique email address for each and every matter, but I do acknowledge that the need for higher levels of security is the reason that this feature had to be retired.

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

Actionstep more features and better.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Peter, Thank you for your fantastic review. Its great to hear after all these years Actionstep continues to grow with your firm. As always, please do not hesitate to contact our customer success or support teams should you have any questions. Thanks

Replied October 2021

Brahm

Actionstep still the best but not yet perfect

Overall, I've been very happy with Actionstep. I get the most satisfaction when I get a new client and need to create a document that I have set up document assembly for, and am able to generate in seconds a document that would have taken an hour or more to create manually.

Pros

Document assembly tools are the most powerful of the many cloud based law practice management systems I have looked at. CLIO's document assembly comes close, but not quite as powerful. It is also the most customizable cloud based law practice management system I have tested.

Cons

Options for integration with accounting and invoicing software is fairly limited. Learning curve is a bit steeper than other cloud based systems. They seem to have heard these concern and over the past four years that I've been using Actionstep, and their development team has making progress on these two fronts. They aren't perfect yet, but they seem to be continually improving.

Reasons for choosing Actionstep

Document Automation was the key feature for me and narrowed the field down to CLIO and Actionstep. On this front, Actionstep is slightly more powerful than CLIO because of the calculated field type, which allows you to use PHP scripts to calculate values for use in your document automation. For example, I created a field that calculates the latest business day that is at least 90 calendar days before trial, which I can use to auto-generate a letter to expert witnesses telling them the deadline that we will need their expert report completed by. All of those calendar calculations are represented in my document template by a simple custom merge field, [[90days_b4_trial]], which keeps the document template quite readable.

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

I switched from CLIO to Actionstep because CLIO didn't have a good calendar tickling system to keep track of deadlines under the court rules of BC, Canada. CLIO had systems for tracking court rule deadlines in the USA, but despite being developed in Vancouver, Canada, they don't have a tickler system for their own hometown, and no good way of creating your own tickler system.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Brahm, Thank you so much for your fantastic review. Its great to hear you are saving hours using our Document Automation functionality! Should you ever have any questions or would like to learn how how to get even more out of Actionstep, please do not hesitate to contact our customer success or support teams Thanks

Replied October 2021

Gary

Small NY Metro Area Law Firm, T&E

We find it perfectly fits our needs.

Pros

Comprehensive features, simple interface

Cons

Like all similar programs out there, use of templates and other excellent advanced features requires regular use, or expense of consultants.

Reasons for choosing Actionstep

Simpler interface, excellent and robust handling of Invoices.

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

Prior software botched up cloud transition (Amicus Attorney) and LEAP was not workable for us.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Gary, Thank you for such a positive review. In regards to your comment on making use of templates & advanced features - we are making these more accessible to all users by producing more guides, videos, webinars & product tours. These are all free to access & will be kept up to date as we release & improve features. Should your firm need a more hands-on solution, we have expanded our Customer Success team who can help guide you to the right guides or put you in touch with a partner who can assist. If you need any help or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our team at support@actionstep.com Thanks again.

Replied August 2020

Dan

Workflows Good! But Search, Integration with other software, and Document Generation need work.

We are happy with the workflows. We like that we are able to access our client data from anywhere with internet. We are disappointed in our ability to utilize all the data we have stored because of the terrible document and data search functions, limited document generation abilities and difficulty importing or exporting data to other software we use for drafting and client contact.

Pros

Workflows, workflows, workflows. They help us keep our law office on track and help us keep deadlines and make sure we do not miss a step in complicated transactions. We like that Actionstep seems to be trying to improve the product.

Cons

Search is terrible! Searching for documents is useless. Searching for contacts by employer/place of work is impossible. These are basic things a law office needs to do, and this software is a hindrance to getting work done because of its awful search capabilities. Also, the fact that you can only see so many results on a page is maddening. Imagine that you want to search your contacts and get a list of contacts that live in a certain city. You want to select them all and send an email or something. NOPE! Search results are limited to 200, no matter how many contacts you have from that city, and you can only see 10 per page, and the results are not sortable; they come in random order. Also, there is no way to select them all and take any action like sednding them all an email within the program. Copy and paste of contact info is also impossible. I have many opportunities during a week to send one person the contact info for another person. Actionstep has no way for me to easily do this. There is no button to click, function to use or work-around for selecting a contact and getting that contact's info onto the clipboard for pasting into a document or email. You can bring up the contact and drag your mouse over various places on the contact form to copy the address, then do it again for the name, then do it again for the email address, then do it again for the phone number, then do it again for the fax number. But be careful not to *click on the(I ran out of space on this form)

Workflows

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

Needed an online solution (as opposed to a local server-based solution)

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Dan, Thank you for your feedback - great to hear that workflows are empowering your firm. I have passed on your feedback to our product team who will reach out directly if they need more detail. Should you have any other specific requests or suggestions, please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com so our product team can assess them in light of upcoming development. Thanks Matt

Nigel

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Powerful and flexible practice management

I have used the product extensively over the last 5 years and would happily recommend it as a platform for legal practice management

Pros

I have used the product in a number of different law firms and have been involved in the setup for those firms. It is easy to use and easy to adapt to your own requirements

Cons

I have no adverse comments as I have not found any aspect of the software to fall short of what is needed

Reasons for choosing Actionstep

Cost and ability to make the system fit most law practice processes

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

Lexis Affinity was extremely expensive and had little flexibility when it came to template document creation and general flexibility

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Nigel, Thank you for your response - Great to hear you have seen the benefit of our software across multiple firms. Should you have any feedback on the product, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our team. Thanks

Replied April 2022

Fiona

Actionstep Review December 2019

The overall efficiencies of the product are brilliant. Increasing productivity of fee earners and support staff.

Pros

That its online. That its simple (mostly) to use. That parts of it are customisable. The support.

Cons

The trust administration functionality isn't the best. Infinity was much better!!!

Reasons for choosing Actionstep

Because we already had one licence and some of the staff had already used Actionstep

Reasons for switching to Actionstep

We needed to purchase a new server to continue on Infinity - so it mainly came down to cost. Infinity are not quick to change/implement improvements to their product. Their support isn't that great either. We wanted to be cloud based and Infinity was not an ideal option for us to do this.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Fiona, Thank you for such a positive review, we are delighted you to hear it has helped increase your firms' productivity. Fantastic to hear you are customising Actionstep to fit your firm. If you if have any question please do not hesitate to email support@actionstep.com or use our in-app chat. Thanks

Felix

April 2022

You receive what you give

Pros

Almost all of our working processes have moved into Actionstep, with some changes and pruning along the way. Setting up the system takes a lot of thought and input, but you are rewarded for your efforts, as once your data is in place, it's very easy to manage and use. I particularly like the amount of customization that is possible - as well as the regular product updates, which add interesting features.

Cons

It can be difficult to use data for reports, where some data does not interact usually within the system. It's necessary on our end to use other software to review statistics and to report. Exporting the data in order to facilitate this is very easy, however.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Felix, Thank you for such a positive review. Great to hear that your firm is seeing the benefits of Actionstep & utilising its customisation. Thanks, Matt

Catherine

Industry: Law Practice

This software is extremely difficult to use. It pretty much requires programmers to manage.

None. It turned out to be too hard to use. When I wanted to move to a different software, I could not export any emails.

Pros

Nothing - I found it was more trouble than benefit. The software claims to manage emails, and it will manage them as long as you stay with that software. If you want to change to another software, you cannot retrieve your emails.

Cons

The description of using "work flows" sounds like a very good and useful idea. It is not. The company wants users to hire a "partner" company to set up the software or purchase pre-programmed workflows from third party vendors. "Partner" companies are extremely expensive, if they return your call at all. You pretty much have to hire a third party company to program the software just to use it. As far as I can tell, the workflows are so detailed that you will spend every minute typing data into the software system instead of doing legal work. When I got rid of the software, none of the thousands of emails flagged into the system could be exported into another system. It was very difficult to transition away from the program.

Response from Actionstep Software

Hi Catherine. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and I'm very sorry you haven't had a great experience. In response to your points you raised: Actionstep allows you to export all of your data at any time, including e-mails. You can read more about this on our user guide. Data is exported in a standard format, but unfortunately it is beyond our control as to whether or not this information can be imported into another system. Actionstep is a highly customizable system and we do understand that this means it can take quite a bit of time to get up and running. However, the time you spend up-front tailoring the workflow to your needs will pay back over and over again in the efficiencies you will gain. We do understand that not everyone has the time to learn a new system and that is why we have a network of trained consultants that can assist. We will be in touch to discuss this further and see what we can do to help. Thanks again for the feedback.

Katherine L.

Industry: Law Practice

Great product . . . gets better all the time.

We have been able to get our bills out more quickly. Information is so much easier to find in Action Step than in the program we used before. The search function is powerful.

Pros

The program is very configurable. What that means is that there is a higher learning curve than other cloud based programs, but I am willing to spend the time to learn if the product provides what I need. I searched specifically for a program that would allow me to handle my front office (client and case management) and back office (financial accounting) needs, and this does the job. The Enhanced Billing Module was vast improvement over the previous billing capability. The user interface is clean and the response rate is rapid. My bookkeeper loves it.

Cons

The reports list needs to be more user friendly, and there needs to be more standard accounting reports available. The CRM features are not very well suited to my practice. The creation of a "workflow" is very complicated.

Ozzy