All CosmoLex Reviews

Eric

Reviewed March 2020

Practice Management and Accounting in One

One of the biggest things Cosmolex has done for us is allow us to bring out bookkeeping in-house. We went through 3 bookkeeping firms in 2 years and spent huge sums of money for our accountants to undo the mess they made. Our first year end with Cosmolex and in-house bookkeeping was a little rough but that was mostly cleaning up past mistakes.

PROS

The product is generally pretty simple to use. Sometimes you will encounter a quirk that makes you wonder "why did they do it like this?" but once you understand the logic behind it you pick up quickly. The software is updated quite regularly.

CONS

They were purchased by Tabs3 about a year ago and the fact that they are not independent is a little concerning.

Mary

Reviewed April 2020

Impressed by Customer Service

Much more intuitive than our previous program.

PROS

I like how easy it is to get help (by phone, email, live chat, or leaving a ticket). I am still in the "learning" phase of using the software, but the customer service team has walked me through each stumbling block and taken time to show me in detail how all the features work. I'm most impressed by how they seem to anticipate my future questions and address those as well as whatever concern I originally contacted them about.

CONS

Nothing yet as far as functionality. Wish the data migration services were more affordable.

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

Price, customer service, and functionality .

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Wanted something more updated and easy to use.

Pierce

Legal Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2018

This App is Geared More Towards Transactional Law Practices

PROS

Cosmolex is easy to use and to implement. Initially, Customer Support was great, but now not so much. Customer support is still better than any other legal accounting product I have used from Lexis or Westlaw, even Clio. The company is generally pretty good about responding to its customers inquiries; but, you typically have to wait about 4 to 6 hours or the next day or two for a technical support person to call you back and sometimes they don't. The billing features are great for a small transactional law practice or family law practice, but not so much for a firm that handles heavy amounts of civil litigation for commercial clients, which requires reporting and data feed back. Trust accounting on Cosmolex is fantastic and allows for contingency fees in PI cases. Overall, its ease of use and simple interface is why we continue to use it. Compared to most legal accounting and billing software, training employees is easy and they offer tons of opportunities to attend free webinar classes and are great at assisting you in getting your employees up and running. Altogether, it is not bad if you have other software or services to cover document and case management, but is expensive considering its deficiencies in this area.

CONS

The biggest Con is that there is a clear the lack of usable reports, no way to export client data for analysis and forecasting, third party integrations with Office is a work in progress for 2+ years and Cosmolex should absolutely not be relied on for Case Management in a litigation practice. If you are going to use Cosmolex, I would suggest doing so only for the accounting (w/ trust features) and billing for noncommercial clients. Cosmolex provides linking with your Drobox Account but is very limited when it comes to document management and your space is dependent what you purchase from other third-party companies for storage. We use the client portal for our clients to upload new case documents securely, but that is absolutely those are the only documents “managed” by Cosmolex. Docketing for litigation would be a nightmare if you depended on this software (especially for those that have midsize firms or handle multiple cases for companies). Reporting and data analysis is nonexistent. Cosmolex is absolutely not Microsoft Office friendly and has little to no integration with Microsoft products, despite the way it appears on their website. It will not integrate with on premises Exchange Server 2016, SQL or Power BI so you have to enter everything twice and have other software or services to cover its deficiencies. Calendaring features are worthless unless your firm uses Gmail as your firm email and calendaring system. The calendar may now integrate with 365 but does not have a way to customize jurisdictional presets for counting deadlines like most case management software that integrates with your calendar through Exchange. Altogether, the lack of even usable Excel or .PDF reports is the worst thing about Cosmolex. Report features, including AR ledgers and Invoice listing reports for a client with multiple ongoing cases is worthless. There is also no way to segregate your fees for fee recoverable causes of action, which is required in Texas when you are seeking attorney’s fees from the opposing side. Reports in Cosmolex could not be more unorganized. Trying to pull usable billing data over a period of time longer than one year is virtually impossible unless you want to do it by cutting and pasting from poorly formatted excel spreadsheets, which makes it difficult as hell to analyze client data over a period of time. Overall, all legal accounting software I have seen is terrible, Cosmolex is just less terrible than most. I think we are going to be moving on shortly to something else.

Dean

Law Practice, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2019

Integrated law firm software

This is a great replacement for PCLaw, with none of the installation issues.

PROS

Cloud-based, good interface. The program integrates with OneDrive and other vendors' products

CONS

Client disbursements don't allow for entering an item list - you have to write it out in one paragraph in the comments box.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

PCLaw was causing installation problems with each new version. Also, the formatting for bills was invariably uneven and columns didn't line up.

Moyosore

Law Practice, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2022

Overall, I enjoy using Cosmolex.

Superb. I definitely have and will continue to recommend cosmolex to my colleagues.

PROS

On a lighter note, aside from the very important features. I like the soft display interface. It is easy on the eyes, the monthly graph and pie chart is very great for keeping track of income.

CONS

Accounting, but that was an issue with my personal knowledge rather than the software itself. Cosmolex care assisted.

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

There was a great christmas discount for 6 months and the display seemed more user friendly and colourful.

Nikki

Reviewed August 2022

The best legal accounting software I've ever used

Been working with Cosmolex for 2 years now. It is great and easy to use. I wouldn't ever go back to PCLaw.

PROS

It is great and easy to use. It's simple to navigate.

CONS

There is nothing about the software that I don't like.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

PCLaw was just so outdated. It's difficult to use and confusing. The customer service was also horrible.

Keeley

Reviewed December 2019

Best product

CosmoLex has been a great product for Bing Law. Customer service is beyond helpful.

PROS

Bing Law loves this program. User friendly and easy to navigate through. Beyond helpful for accounting.

CONS

Bing Law would like to see more options in the pull down menus for billing matters and for the case matters.

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

CosmoLex had far more to offer for our office and out needs that Quickbooks could.

Jessica

Legal Services, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2022

Still new to the software but really happy with it!

PROS

I like how easy it was to integrate into my business. I was using a different software before and it was very easy to make the switch.

CONS

I currently have not come across anything that I wish were different.

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

Looking to grow my business into more of a legal based practice.

Ulrich

Medical Practice, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Wonderful CosmoLex

My experience with CosmoLex is just incredible. But what a program! Very intuitive and easy to use, it's very practical, especially when it comes to creating invoices. It's the best I've used and I highly recommend it.

PROS

I like this software. It's high quality, as evidenced by the ease with which it ensures compatibility and better billing management. I can propose accounting ideas to my employees after well-done calculations, all thanks to Cosmolex.

CONS

The software works great, no problems to report and no regrets. I highly recommend it

Reviewed November 2023

Easy for Me, but Difficult for Clients

PROS

It has IOLTA reporting and I like the features for the price compared to Clio.

CONS

Sometimes the clients struggle navigating the client portal, so it is inconvenient taking the time to guide them through the process.

Reviewed January 2022

2 Years Wasted

Cosmolex ended up being a major disappointment. Too many of the supposedly great features turned out to be practically useless. Clients can only upload one document at a time and then only if the name is 64 or less characters. Clients can only download one document at a time. The API is closed so automation is much more difficult and expensive. Email communications cannot be shared through the portal. The platform whereby custom invoices are created/modified is archaic and difficult to use.

PROS

Document Integration with OneDrive and integrated billing

CONS

The most important components of the software were rendered useless due to lack of most obvious features.

The internal accounting

Reasons for switching to CosmoLex

The switch was made to for cloud access, internal accounting, to better serve clients and to facilitate process automation. The only benefit was the cloud access which was stifled by the poor design.

Matthew

Reviewed October 2020

Great for small firms, not so great if scaling up

We've been using CosmoLex for 2+ years so they haven't scared us away...yet.

PROS

Client portal is a terrific feature (when working), the ease of time entries is terrific. Very simplistic interface for invoicing and collecting fees. Integration with LawPay is cool.

CONS

There's lots of bugs and seemingly easy fixes that get overlooked and/or ignored. The portal will shut down unexpectedly and/or clients cannot access multiple matters without additional email addresses. There is no function for recurring billing (i.e., ongoing or payment plan clients). Customer service is a nightmare to deal with and takes weeks to complete simple tasks.

Reason for choosing CosmoLex

Overall initial cost per user

Easy of use

Michele

Reviewed March 2017

Overall Review of Product- Our THoughts

Pros: One program for almost everything. Cons: No document assembly; you can only link one person to the client portal; glitches in program- the program emailed an invoice to the wrong person; can not email through program; glitch- I had to give access to everyone for everything because the limited access features did not work; customer service is not the best; calandar portion has glitches when it interfaces with gmail and office 365.

PROS

It is a comprehensive software. Its like having Quickbooks and a practice management program in one. This is the best feature.

CONS

Lots of glitches: (a) it emailed an invoice to the wrong person; (b) user restrictions do not work in my office; (c) calendar is not on the main page- usability is difficult for some tasks; (d) you can only have one person assigned to the client portal. Does not have email capabilities Does not have document assembly Does not have automatic assignment of matter numbers. Limited reporting features- you can not tailor reports (financial)- very limited.

Hi Michele, We appreciate your feedback related to your experience with CosmoLex. In regards to the issues you are having, please reach out to our support team directly at 732-595-9015 so that they can see first hand the issues you are experiencing, and assist with resolving. I will be entering the requests you have made as well, so that we can keep you up to date on their progress. As an additional note, we will be releasing Document Assembly within the next few months and are always open to hear your suggestions on improving our current reporting. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Replied March 2017

Laura

Reviewed July 2017

It is easy to get around the program

PROS

I like that it is easy to get around the program and many things are self-explanatory. I also appreciate the tutorials that are available.

CONS

1. I sat down with our accountant and went through the chart of accounts - we wanted to erase some of the accounts that we wouldn't be using, but the system prevents it. There are so many similarly named accounts, that I am concerned about how I will make sure I am using the ones that my accountant prefers (as an example, there are at least 3 or 4 options for accounts related to payroll). 2. I don't like that I can't select the option to not allow duplicate checks for our business checking account 3. I don't like that when I click "save and next" when entering checks that the program does not automatically bring up the next check number. I have to hit "save" and then go back in and "add" another transaction in order for that to happen

Hi Laura. We appreciate your review and feedback. I wanted to take some time to respond to the concerns that you listed 1- Chart of Accounts - While our GL account list is quite flexible, given that we have built-in automated accounting, certain accounts are core to that process and therefore cannot be deleted (fee income, trust funds, reimbursable client costs etc.). In terms of account options, only keep the accounts you wish to use. we offer 4 payroll accounts to cover the various deductions which need to be disbursed. 2- Duplicate checks - you are correct in that our operating accounts do not include the same safeguards as the trust accounts given there is no requirement, however I will enter this request on your behalf. 3- Check Numbers- I assume you are entering manual checks instead of printing them. I do see the issue you are experiencing and will report to our dev team to resolve. Thanks again for your feedback. Any other questions, please let us know.

Replied July 2017

Reviewed October 2017

They are always innovating

PROS

I wanted something that combined both the accounting and matter management in one place. What I like the most is the Customer Support. If I'm having a problem with taking a payment from a client, I can get on the phone and have them resolve the issue without delaying the client. I also like that they constantly ask us what other new functions we'd like to see. They are always innovating, and don't "drop" you once they've got your payment.

CONS

I wish it would remember matter names and auto-populate that when adding a new client--then i'd like to be able to run reports based on the kinds of matters. I'd also like to be able to bulk mail using our clients' mailing addresses. Finally, I'd like to be able to add in court dates to the matters so that when I run reports, I can filter and organize them according to court dates, rather than client name. I like Cosmolex, but it's clearly set up for civil or other slow-moving firms, and not for traffic, which adds up to 10 clients a day and has many matter subject options.

Alyssa

Reviewed October 2017

Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients...

Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients down from 2-3 days to 2-3 hours.

PROS

The ability to add charges on the go is a huge plus for the attorney. He can bill his time while in court.

CONS

Old client invoices, there needs to be a way to unlock invoices to allow payment on outstanding debt. I've contacted customer service and we had a backdoor way of doing it but the newest update to CL has erased that ability. So now old clients who have no active charges are inconvenienced and must come into the office to pay. Would love to see more functions for old accounts!

Hi Alyssa. Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure I understand the issue you are having. Bills become locked for edits once a payment is received (which can be lifted), but future payments can still be applied, as long as there is a balance. You can resend old, open invoices which have a balance and then apply a payment to those whether by retainer, check or credit card. It does not matter how old they are. If there is something I am missing, or you have additional information which can assist, please email support@cosmolex.com and we will be happy to look into this further.

Replied November 2017

Roxann

Legal Services, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2023

It is very clunky to use.

I just plain don't like it. I also use Soluno, it is a far better software. You can easily make changes from the screen you are on. The visuals are far simpler as well. Plus it is very Canadian, and outstanding chat service.

PROS

It is better than PC Law was. Other than that, I would rather not use it.

CONS

you can't easily correct or edit entries. There is no clicking on when you are on a journal, you need to leave the screen and go somewhere else. Very time consuming. I also don't like that you can't just "view" reports, everything has to be downloaded and it takes time. When I contacted support as to why there were lines running through my view report, I was told it was a glitch...like really!! I don't find it at all intitutive . The downloading of bank statements for reconciliations is very painful, and quite frankly doesn't work.

PC Law outdated and useless