What are RTG Bills users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using RTG Bills software through verified user reviews

• icon"Very reasonable priced, customer support is outstanding and it is a basic and user friendly system for generating bills."
  • icon"Very good support system if there are any questions or issues. Regular updates to improve the functionality of the software."
  • icon"Ease of use, logic, screen arrangement, adaptability of custom forms after you learn a few basic steps. Excellent tech support from rep with whom I have communicated very often over several years."
  • icon"No way to address any glitches or problems, very little customer support cannot call via telephone."
  • icon"It’s only a minor inconvenience: having to open the billing module at billing time."

Browse all RTG Bills Reviews

• Have you used RTG Bills and would like to share your experience with others?

Lynn

Great for the Low Price

Steve

Great software. An even better value. A very satisfied customer.

As a solo lawyer, I am able to create invoices using the desktop program (locally or via a remote desktop connection), and to enter time online using a mobile device or laptop PC. The purchase price for this software is great for solos who are attuned to maintaining low overhead, and who are keen to control all aspects of the invoicing process -- but the key feature, hands down, has been the unwavering technical support provided by the vendor.

Pros

Extraordinarily flexible. Allows for the creation of a highly-personalized invoicing process. Responses to requests for support are provided without charge and usually within a matter of a few minutes (or, at most, within a few hours), with ongoing, interactive follow-ups. For my solo employment law practice, this software ticks all of the boxes. I have been using RTG Bills for seven years, and I have never experienced a single moment of disappointment by it or by the vendor.

Cons

Initial set up for everyday usage is easy, and the typical solo attorney should have no problems quickly getting standard invoices out the door. Less conventional and non-standard billing arrangements which may involve a combination of hourly billing, contingency fees, benchmark or progress fees, and success fees require more persistence to properly set up. But free technical support has always been available to provide clear and patient guidance. I have no complaints.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

I am a frugal attorney, but I don't cut corners with technology or software. I was initially won over by the low cost of RTG Bills, which, allocated as a monthly expense, is and has been much, much lower than that of competitors, without any extra charges for technical support. But I have now been using the program for many years, and its real value lies with its impressive flexibility and technical support.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thanks for taking the time to write a really wonderful review! It is greatly appreciated.

Lynn

Great for the Low Price

I have been very happy with RTG Bills. As I mentioned, I thought it was too good to be true to get billing software for that price (I think I made a one-time payment of $95). Previously I was paying about $23 per month and accomplishing the same tasks. There have been upgrades to the program without further cost so far, so the company is not trying to make more money off you with changes and upgrades. All has run smoothly with no "down time", and I have used customer support and they were very helpful.

Pros

The price was extremely low compared to other legal billing options, so much so that it seemed to good to be true. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the larger billing software products, but it certainly suffices to get my time in, get my bills out, record retainers and payments, and keep track of everything with many different reports available.

Cons

I think it is a little less user-friendly than other products that I have used, but once you get used to it, it runs smoothly. Having said that, I think that it is easier than some products because it does not overwhelm you with functionality - it serves it's primary purpose of billing clients and keep track of time, retainers, receivables and collections.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

A colleague recommended it to me, and because of the very low price, I thought there was little to lose in at least trying it out. If it was not the right product for me, I would only out $95, and there was no contract to sign binding me to the company. I am so glad I gave it a chance. It is the perfect solution for my solo practice.

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

I was having too many technical issues with Timeslips, so I switched to TurboLaw. I liked TurboLaw, but the price was being raised from about $23 per month to about $80 per month, and I was not willing to pay that much. Finding RTG for a one-time fee of $95 was a Godsend!

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it.

Replied May 2021

Margaret

Lacking in customer support,

Pros

Easy to use but if you encounter a problem it is almost impossible to get an answer. You must email customer service and it’s hard to understand or tackle a problem via email.

Cons

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. We know that some people don't like our always-free, email-only support policy. There are three reasons we believe email is the best way to provide technical support: 1. Web: RTG's web site answers many questions, often in detail that would be hard to provide in other ways. Our response to a question often includes a reference to a web page. 2. Priority: We can prioritize incoming questions, so the most critical problems can be addressed first. 3. Think: We like to think about a tough question, or research an answer, before responding. We can't do that in a real-time conversation.

Frank

Industry: Law Practice

Outstanding and affordable time & billing solution

Five years ago my old time & billing program, a relic written in BASIC before the turn of the century, would no longer run on my newer computers. I set out to find the latest and greatest. What I found were many very pricey SAAS (software as a service) programs which required a monthly outlay and ran in the cloud. While that may appeal to some, I prefer to own a license and keep my data local (subject to extensive backup protocols to protect it). RTG Bills checked all my boxes and I have been very happy with the ease of tracking my time and client expenses and payments. Everything is easy to do.

Pros

First of all, it is extremely affordable. You purchase a license to use the software and, occasionally, pay to upgrade. No monthly fees or or hidden costs. Second, the service is OUTSTANDING. Whenever I have run into a problem or had a question, an email to rep and I get an answer almost immediately. Third, it is extremely customizeable. I was able to create my own service codes and format my bills and reports . If you have any questions, just ask representative and he will help you through it. Fourth, it is very comprehensive. I sometimes feel like I am only scratching the surface of its capabilities. Fifth, it has a small footprint, both for the program itself and the data files.

Cons

I can't really think of anything. A sole practitioner, I don't pretend to know what larger (than one!) organizations need in time & billing software so I'll leave it to others to comment.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

Cost, features, ease of use. And I have been very pleasantly surprised by the exceptional service provided.

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

I retired my oldest computer which still ran Verdict.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thanks very much for the wonderful review. RTG also has one of those SaaS (Software as a Service) programs, RTG Bills Online. Ours isn't quite so pricey as the others. For anyone interested in that, we offer a 30-day free trial.

Industry: Law Practice

Easiest Billing Software Made!

At the end of the year, I take the RTG Bills total fees number and enter into an Excel spreadsheet and/or QuickBooks and can quickly produce a Profit and Loss Statement and a Schedule C. RTG Bills totally simplifies the reporting of income.

Pros

I am a sole practitioner and I tried several billing software products. None were easy to set up or to use. Then I tried RTG Bills. Within 45 minutes, I was set up! And shortly after that, I was entering time and then producing bills. I have used various version of RTG Bills over the past ten years and have been extremely happy with the product. Also for law firms, if you need to create ebills for Serengeti, Legal Tracker, etc., RTG Bills has an ebilling component that works very well.

Cons

I purchased a second license for another company I manage. I could not figure out how to show all of my clients on one page - even when I only had four clients. For some reason, it broke it into two pages.

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

The other programs were too complicated to use. Perhaps they are a good fit for a large law firm, but for a small law firm, they were just too much.

Lenore

Simple and Intuitive Legal Billing Software

After initial set-up, which was not difficult (following instructions in the tutorial), I have been able consistently to record time easily and accurately and to create bills almost effortlessly. I really don't even think about this application -- I just use it.

Pros

This was very easy to learn, thanks to a very clear tutorial, and is very easy to use. Before I used RTG Bills I used TimeSlips, which I found complicated and easy to screw up. The steps to follow to do anything are largely intuitive, although taking the tutorial in the beginning probably helped with that. Additionally, the lifetime free support has been inordinately helpful. While I have only used it perhaps three times in the 6+ years I have been using the software, I have always received a response within hours of sending the email, and the advice in the response has always solved my issue

Cons

There is not much to dislike about the software. I suppose that it is less flexible than some in designing one's bill, but I honestly don't care -- the bills look professional and are easy to read, which is what counts. I suppose there are things it will not do, but it does everything I need.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

Prior to using Timeslips, I had used a trial version of RTG Bills that I liked, but several people suggested that Timeslips was the industry standard for law firms. When I decided to ditch Timeslips, I reviewed the information on th RTG Bills website and decided that it really met my needs at a reasonable price, so I went back to it without considering any other solution.

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

It was non-intuitive and difficult to use. There was only a very short period during which support was provided without charge, and then I was on my own. Paid software support would have been prohibitively expensive. I never became comfortable with Timeslips. I suppose there may be things that Timeslips would do that RTG Bills does not, but as I never needed those things I never found out what they were.

Keeping it simple

I just like it

Pros

I started using a timekeeping program to track both time and to keep a diary of what I was doing. It made me much more confident in making bills because I could show the clients my work including commentary if I wanted to. I remember writing to the company (the original Timeslips, not the current owners) thanking them for the product because my billing increased. Unfortunately to outdo competitors, the industry keeps putting unnecessary components that cloud the basis purpose of keeping time for billing purposes. RTG allows me to continue to do what I am trained at without needing to learn components I don’t need.

Cons

1. I would like the timer to shrink the taskbar. 2. As long as I am dreaming, I wish the timer would continuously flash or turn a bright color to remind me that it is tracking time. 3. A longer description field would be welcome. I like to record a lot of text. 4. I wish the macro shorthand codes allowed more characters (max is 5).

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

I needed something that let me do my job without requiring bloated software for time keeping and billing. RTG did that.

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

The version of Timeslips I used became obsolete when it became operable with a new version of Windows.

Alan

Most Bang for the Bucks

I have been using this system for 10+ years. Zero regrets. Zero down time. Zero lost data. If all the software I purchase performed this well, I would be even happier than I already am.

Pros

1. Web based. I run a touch screen laptop beside my office computers and log time without distraction. 2. Web based. I can prep monthly billing at home on the weekends. 3. Upgrades are auto and seamless. 4. Maintains my history for years. 5. Crazy easy to change / correct entries from the draft billing screen. 6. Pricing is very easy on the budget.

Cons

1. Moving from desktop to web took some effort, but was a one off. Only purchase the web version and save yourself a lot of effort. 2. Different billing rates for different clients takes some effort. Apologies if there is a quick fix and I just haven't found it yet.

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

Timeslips was costly, upgrading all the time. I decided to move into a small product created by someone who had a lot of pride in what she / he was creating. Found it.

Karen

RTG is the best!

Excellent. This product is a solid addition to any small to mid sized law firm and the value is unmatched.

Pros

This software is easy to use, intuitive, and doesn't take a lot of time to get up and running. It scales well (we started as 1 user and now have 6) and can be customized if desired but also has great defaults. The reports available are too many to be used by any single user, and generally fit our needs really well. Although it took some time to get used to having to use email for all support, we always get a quick and accurate reply.

Cons

The only issue I have encountered is it does not track realization by timekeeper, but rather by responsible attorney. This is not a huge issue, but it is one item that would be helpful.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

Price was the initial determining factor, but after 11 years of using it continuously, we could not be happier.

Dave

Best deal out there

When I first started practicing law, I searched high and low for a time and billing program that was easy to use and would grow with my practice. It was just dumb luck that I discovered RTG Bills. It has been my one and only billing program for over 15 years.

Pros

This program is simple from initial setup to final invoice printout. There is a very short learning curve and it can be customized quickly and easily.

Cons

I tried the online app version and found it somewhat cumbersome when it came to synchronizing information with my main computer program.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

Simplicity, expand ability, Overall ease of use.

Karen

Excellent Billing Software

We could not be more happy with RTG Bills. We also took advantage of the free Conflict Check feature, which is extremely helpful in our conflict checks process. Also, any questions we have had have always been answered immediately and to our satisfaction.

Pros

We have been using this software for almost seven years now. Before I came to this new law firm, I spent an entire weekend researching different accounting softwares. Price was a consideration, as is for any new start up company. I came across RTG, took them up on the free trial, and found it to be very user friendly. It was easy to jump right in on entering time and printing invoices. I also customized headers so that we can now print invoices on plain copy paper rather than heavy letterhead, which not only saves on our letterhead, but it cut down our postage as well. This software does a lot, I'm still discovering new features.

Cons

There are a LOT of reports you can run and it takes time to view each one and know what they all do. Because there are so many features to this software, more training videos might be helpful (only because I am a more hands-on person and I could follow along).

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thanks so much for your very positive review of RTG Bills Online, our "cloud" version of RTG Bills. We also appreciate your mentioning RTG Conflicts Online, which is included with every subscription to RTG Bills Online, to help firms reduce conflicts of interest. We are, admittedly, behind the curve in providing video tutorials. We have worked hard to produce written documentation, including a detailed tutorial and context-sensitive help for every "page" of RTG Bills. Videos are on the to-do list and we hope to offer some soon.

Wojciech

Industry: Civil Engineering

RTG is what you need

super satisfied and happy, an excellent software for our small firm, it is oriented to lawyers, but we as engineers are working on hourly basis as well and this RTG keeps track of hour time and expenses very well. We use it to generate invoices/bills and for keeping track of hours billable and for non-billable overhead. At any moment can change bill format from long and detailed to a summary a few lines only. I contact representative and he replies almost right away, as if he never sleeps, super tech support, very friendly and understanding

Pros

ease of use, logic, screen arrangement, adaptability of custom forms after you learn a few basic steps. excellent tech support from rep with whom I have communicated very often over several years. low 'overhead' with graphics, just what you need to enter hours, short descriptions, how much you want to charge for fees or expenses or lump sum. I simply love it. It beats Quicken or Simply accounting for keeping accounts receivable. quick reports in many formats, can export to excel using it daily for several years, started with a floppy version, will not change it

Cons

creating custom letterhead with colours/graphics, but rep gave me a trick to do it, and I am happily using it.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

simply for practical use in a smaller office that does not need huge overhead categories and programs that will choke the computer for nothing. This RTG can be run an a regular older laptop, notebook, desktop, XP, Win 2000 and up. this is what one needs, simple, efficient, with common sense and clear logic, no fancy icons or graphics that distract only. it simply does the job what you need it to do.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thanks so much for that wonderful review. And thanks for using RTG Bills for over 19 years!

Vicki

Good Value for a Small Firm

Pros

The program ported our data from TimeSlips easy enough and was easy to learn. The price is very reasonable for the program and it's very inexpensive to add users.

Cons

Our firm's biggest complaint is that users are not able to create clients in the program, which creates additional work for the admin. The user must email the admin to create a new account. If the admin is not available, then the attorney may forget to enter time once the client is created. Seems like unnecessary work and I hope they fix this.

Price

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

Sage Timeslips was outrageously expensive and would not support our version any longer.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. As for creating clients, we would like to clarify how that works. RTG Bills users can enter clients and matters, enter fees and expenses, enter client payments, and create bills. Included with RTG Bills is a separate program, RTG Timer, that is designed for timekeepers to enter their fees and expenses. Any user can be given access to RTG Bills, RTG Timer, or both. A user with access to RTG Timer only will not be able to enter new clients. Only an RTG Bills user can enter new clients. We should note that the "cloud" version of RTG Bills lets you give a user access to RTG Bills, but then limit what they can do. So, for example, you could allow a user to enter new clients and matters, but not allow entry of payments or the printing of bills and reports.

Anne

Good for Solo Practice

Pros

This software is easy to use. Most billing software is designed for large firms that do civil practice and thus do not fit with my practice. RTG Bills does work for my practice area, size and billing. The cost is very reasonable, and the technical support has been very good.

Cons

Would like to be able to code activities/expenses for shorthand entry AND have those fees and expenses still itemized on the bills. Last time I attempted this, there was only the possibility of getting a lump total if the short hand codes were used, so not a usable feature for how I bill. Also, since the most recent version, I have to log out as a user and log in as an administrator to get updates. The old way was better.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

Unlike Timeslips, RTG Bills works for my practice area, size and billing. The cost is very reasonable, and the technical support has been very good.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. You don't have to summarize coded items. An item with an activity or expense code is only summarized on the bill if you choose that option for the code. Contact support if you need help with this feature.

Replied August 2019

Super easy and affordable timekeeping / billing program

I've been using RTG for 15+ years. It's very low maintenance, super easy to use, and so affordable. Highly recommend it for someone looking for a streamlined approach to timekeeping and billing.

Pros

This software is super easy to use, not a lot of overwhelming or confusing "fluff"... just clean and simple. Also very affordable. I also like that the timer can be interrupted for another timer, for example if a billable call comes in while I was working on another billable project; makes it very easy to capture all time as I work throughout the day, rather than trying to remember it all to enter later.

Cons

I wish it had a place to add more detailed notes to each time entry, separate from the actual time entry, so that the brief description (phone call with client) would show on the bill, but the more detailed notes (exactly what was discussed, etc.) could be hidden on the client bill yet easily accessible for my future reference. That is the only function I find to be missing, but love the program otherwise.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

For the low cost, it was worth checking it out, and I was immediately impressed and able to get on with the billable work, so there was no need to spend time playing with other programs any further. I've never regretted it.

Roy

Industry: Law Practice

Solid dependable small office software

I couldn't do time-keeping/billing without it. I was previously a long time user of Timeslips, but after quite a number of unsatisfactory difficulties with it, combined with big price increases, I migrated to RTG, and have been very happy ever since. I've not used it in a multi-biller office, so I can't comment on its use for that purpose.

Pros

Value for the money. Does everything I need without unnecessary complexity.

Cons

Has a few unnecessary multi-clicks to perform routine tasks, such as committing a slip in Timer.

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

Cost, excessive complexity, without the capacity to do some of the basic things I wanted the software to do.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it.

Miriam

Industry: Law Practice

Combines ease-of-use with full functionality

I switched to RTG over 20 years ago after having been a long time Timeslips user. With [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Assistance, I was able to port over most of this data and set up RTG’s bills with ease and seamlessly hit the ground running. I was able to cut down my billing cycle from more than three days to about three hours, max, which made might me love billing and collecting on a much faster time basis. Whenever I did run into a problem, I was able to contact the rep for Tech Support and get a timely response. My entire experience with the RTG bills has been exemplary. As a solo lawyer, minimizing my effort on this administrative task has freed me to enjoy my practice.

Pros

RTG software allows me to efficiently capture all of my time and to easily and accurately bill it with a minimum of effort. It offers many options for customizing and formatting invoices and reports for my own information and to inform my clients. And the customer support is excellent.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

Ease of conversion and use

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thanks so much for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate your support of RTG Bills over the years!

Roy

Excellent value, no frills Time and Billing program

Pros

It just plain works. An advanced degree in Information Technology is not required to install and use this software, nor do you need to take out a loan to purchase it, or pay monthly or annual fees for support. It is not loaded with spurious features that 80% of all users would never use, (e.g. Quickbooks or any of the host of other legal time and billing programs) for a time and billing program. It is easy to set up and only takes a few hours to get a basic understanding of the time keeping functions. The reports and other more advanced features are relatively easy to learn and use. A very important feature, especially for those doing family law GAL work, is its split billing function.

Cons

The in-program help menus could be improved a bit, remote access by their support would probably be beneficial to some users. Online webinars would bring them up to 2020 standards.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

Simple and efficient to use, best bang for the buck out there, hands down.

Evan

RTG Bills Online review

I am very happy with RTG Bills Online. I have no major complaints.

Pros

Easy to use and easy to teach others. Does exactly what I need without any mystery.

Cons

Going from Timer to Bills for different functions can be inconvenient. It should be clearer which program the user is in. The banner on the top of the screen says Timer or Bills, but perhaps different colors would make it more obvious. I would use a window to anchor the banner on the top of the page and consider adding an indicator of where the user is in the menus.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thanks so much for your review of RTG Bills Online, the "cloud" version of RTG Bills. For those unfamiliar with the difference between Bills and Timer, here is a quick explanation. We designed Timer for a timekeeper to enter his or her own time. It includes a stopwatch for timing work, a way to quickly switch among recently-used matters, and other convenience features for the timekeeper. RTG Bills also allows time entry, but that feature is oriented more toward a person entering the time for someone else. In addition, Bills has complete facilities for creating bills, receiving payments, handling retainers and trust accounts, generating reports, and much more. We will definitely consider a way to make the distinction between Bills and Timer clearer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Greg

Industry: Law Practice

Went through so many billing programs

Pros

The simplicity. It certainly isn't fancy, no pictures of gavels or fancy features. Probably why it never crashes. It is so dependable. We dont need it to do much. Track time and be dependable and that's it. And I have spent so much more money on timekeeping programs, and spent the time to learn them and boom. Crash or just doesn't work. This was a fraction of the cost and waaaay easier to use. I cant say enough good things for RTG. When setting it up to the online, I had a thousand stupid questions and then my credit card expired, and I forgot my login and locked my entire firm out. Anyway the customer service department was so patient with me and my stupid questions. nothing but good things to say and my appreciation for their product.

Cons

I really have no complaints. It works as advertised.

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

fed up with the others really. and price.

Response from RTG Data Systems

What can I say but THANKS!!!

Edwin

RTG bills great billing software

Easy to bill and keep track of payments from clients whether by mail or email

Pros

Easy to set up once and use with client billing and payments

Cons

Cumbersome to set up letterhead for bills

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

Ease of use - less time to learn product and increased productivity

Response from RTG Data Systems

Thanks so much for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. Our method of creating a letterhead does not use "drag-and-drop", which we feel puts the burden on the user to keep everything in alignment. Instead, you supply the text and RTG Bills takes care of the alignment.

Christopher

Industry: Law Practice

Perfect Software for a Small Firm!

I compared RTG to a plethora of other billing software options for law firms. Most are online and require monthly license purchase of upwards of $50/users. This would be prohibitive, or at least a severe deterrent, to someone just starting out. RTG does everything else these other packages do, but you buy it and own it and don't have to continue paying every month and get sucked into a company that you could never switch from because they have all of your billing.

Pros

It's perfect for my law office. I have two paralegals and an associate. It's a one-time purchase, it does literally everything I need for all of my billing. I can submit e-bills to all of the different insurance companies I work for and it has phenomenal reporting, so I can see the different aspects of what I've billed, what's been paid, etc.

Cons

There is literally nothing I don't like about this software.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

It does everything you need for a fraction of the cost and you can keep the software on your local network and back it up yourself.

Brent

Comprehensive, Easy and Inexpensive

RTG Bills has been a great tool for my practice. Any attorney, especially small firms like mine, would be surprised at the value and quality provided by this software.

Pros

The software was easy to set up and use, and it provided more features than I had expected, especially for the price!

Cons

I really like that the software includes a lot of choices for reports, such as billings, receipts, expenses, hours, and many, many more. There are so many (not a bad thing!), however, that it took a while to figure out which reports I needed to generate for specific purposes. An explanation for the purpose of each type of report would improve the usefulness of the software.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

Another attorney recommended RTG Bills, and after using the free trial it was obvious that RTG Bills would be very useful, convenient and a great value.

Reasons for switching to RTG Bills

I started my own firm and did not want to pay the high price for the software my old firm was using.

Patrick

Great Product at a Great Value

I can rely on this product to capture the billing information and provide a professional looking invoice to my clients.

Pros

The cost is very good, especially given the quality of the product. I found it was easy to setup and I have never encountered a functional problem. The company provides prompt customer support when needed, although I have not had to use it except for a couple of questions.

Cons

I initially had a little difficulty learning how to review past billings but finally figured out a way to view all the dates of the past billings in order to review them quicker. I should have dug deeper so I am going to attribute that to user error. I have also had difficulty emailing the invoices directly from the program which would avoid having to print and then scan the billings before emailing them to clients.

Reasons for choosing RTG Bills

This product was recommended by someone who had reviewed many of the other products available.

RTG Bills