• Pros

• "I like that this was very easy to set up and use. Great program for a solo!"

• "The software was easy to set up and use, and it provided more features than I had expected, especially for the price!"

• "Easy to use and easy to teach others. Does exactly what I need without any mystery. "

• Cons

• "The initial set-up took me some time. That was a long time ago, however. Once you get the hang of the program, it is easy to use."

• "it is a basic application and there are no bells and whistles but the price is great for a solo practice "

• "The online help information is not as complete as it could be. However, whenever I had a question for which I could not find help online, the developer, responded promptly."

Browse RTG Bills Reviews

John from John E. Ahern, PC

Keeping it simple

I just like it

Pros

I started using a timekeeping program to track both time and to keep a diary of what I was doing. It made me much more confident in making bills because I could show the clients my work including commentary if I wanted to. I remember writing to the company (the original Timeslips, not the current owners) thanking them for the product because my billing increased. Unfortunately to outdo competitors, the industry keeps putting unnecessary components that cloud the basis purpose of keeping time for billing purposes. RTG allows me to continue to do what I am trained at without needing to learn components I don’t need.

Cons

1. I would like the timer to shrink the taskbar. 2. As long as I am dreaming, I wish the timer would continuously flash or turn a bright color to remind me that it is tracking time. 3. A longer description field would be welcome. I like to record a lot of text. 4. I wish the macro shorthand codes allowed more characters (max is 5).

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

I needed something that let me do my job without requiring bloated software for time keeping and billing. RTG did that.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

The version of Timeslips I used became obsolete when it became operable with a new version of Windows.

Steve from Stephen A. Brandon, Attorney at Law, PLLC

Great software. An even better value. A very satisfied customer.

As a solo lawyer, I am able to create invoices using the desktop program (locally or via a remote desktop connection), and to enter time online using a mobile device or laptop PC. The purchase price for this software is great for solos who are attuned to maintaining low overhead, and who are keen to control all aspects of the invoicing process -- but the key feature, hands down, has been the unwavering technical support provided by the vendor.

Pros

Extraordinarily flexible. Allows for the creation of a highly-personalized invoicing process. Responses to requests for support are provided without charge and usually within a matter of a few minutes (or, at most, within a few hours), with ongoing, interactive follow-ups. For my solo employment law practice, this software ticks all of the boxes. I have been using RTG Bills for seven years, and I have never experienced a single moment of disappointment by it or by the vendor.

Cons

Initial set up for everyday usage is easy, and the typical solo attorney should have no problems quickly getting standard invoices out the door. Less conventional and non-standard billing arrangements which may involve a combination of hourly billing, contingency fees, benchmark or progress fees, and success fees require more persistence to properly set up. But free technical support has always been available to provide clear and patient guidance. I have no complaints.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

I am a frugal attorney, but I don't cut corners with technology or software. I was initially won over by the low cost of RTG Bills, which, allocated as a monthly expense, is and has been much, much lower than that of competitors, without any extra charges for technical support. But I have now been using the program for many years, and its real value lies with its impressive flexibility and technical support.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks for taking the time to write a really wonderful review! It is greatly appreciated.

Margaret from REILLY FINNEGAN PC

Lacking in customer support,

Pros

Easy to use but if you encounter a problem it is almost impossible to get an answer. You must email customer service and it’s hard to understand or tackle a problem via email.

Cons

No way to address any glitches or problems, very little customer support cannot call via telephone

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. We know that some people don't like our always-free, email-only support policy. There are three reasons we believe email is the best way to provide technical support: 1. Web: RTG's web site answers many questions, often in detail that would be hard to provide in other ways. Our response to a question often includes a reference to a web page. 2. Priority: We can prioritize incoming questions, so the most critical problems can be addressed first. 3. Think: We like to think about a tough question, or research an answer, before responding. We can't do that in a real-time conversation.

Frank from Law Office of Frank Gaynor

Industry: Law Practice

Outstanding and affordable time & billing solution

Five years ago my old time & billing program, a relic written in BASIC before the turn of the century, would no longer run on my newer computers. I set out to find the latest and greatest. What I found were many very pricey SAAS (software as a service) programs which required a monthly outlay and ran in the cloud. While that may appeal to some, I prefer to own a license and keep my data local (subject to extensive backup protocols to protect it). RTG Bills checked all my boxes and I have been very happy with the ease of tracking my time and client expenses and payments. Everything is easy to do.

Pros

First of all, it is extremely affordable. You purchase a license to use the software and, occasionally, pay to upgrade. No monthly fees or or hidden costs. Second, the service is OUTSTANDING. Whenever I have run into a problem or had a question, an email to rep and I get an answer almost immediately. Third, it is extremely customizeable. I was able to create my own service codes and format my bills and reports . If you have any questions, just ask representative and he will help you through it. Fourth, it is very comprehensive. I sometimes feel like I am only scratching the surface of its capabilities. Fifth, it has a small footprint, both for the program itself and the data files.

Cons

I can't really think of anything. A sole practitioner, I don't pretend to know what larger (than one!) organizations need in time & billing software so I'll leave it to others to comment.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Cost, features, ease of use. And I have been very pleasantly surprised by the exceptional service provided.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

I retired my oldest computer which still ran Verdict.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks very much for the wonderful review. RTG also has one of those SaaS (Software as a Service) programs, RTG Bills Online. Ours isn't quite so pricey as the others. For anyone interested in that, we offer a 30-day free trial.

David from Law Offices of David H. Baker LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Easiest Billing Software Made!

At the end of the year, I take the RTG Bills total fees number and enter into an Excel spreadsheet and/or QuickBooks and can quickly produce a Profit and Loss Statement and a Schedule C. RTG Bills totally simplifies the reporting of income.

Pros

I am a sole practitioner and I tried several billing software products. None were easy to set up or to use. Then I tried RTG Bills. Within 45 minutes, I was set up! And shortly after that, I was entering time and then producing bills. I have used various version of RTG Bills over the past ten years and have been extremely happy with the product. Also for law firms, if you need to create ebills for Serengeti, Legal Tracker, etc., RTG Bills has an ebilling component that works very well.

Cons

I purchased a second license for another company I manage. I could not figure out how to show all of my clients on one page - even when I only had four clients. For some reason, it broke it into two pages.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

The other programs were too complicated to use. Perhaps they are a good fit for a large law firm, but for a small law firm, they were just too much.

Lenore from Law Office of Lenore C. Garon, PLLC

Simple and Intuitive Legal Billing Software

After initial set-up, which was not difficult (following instructions in the tutorial), I have been able consistently to record time easily and accurately and to create bills almost effortlessly. I really don't even think about this application -- I just use it.

Pros

This was very easy to learn, thanks to a very clear tutorial, and is very easy to use. Before I used RTG Bills I used TimeSlips, which I found complicated and easy to screw up. The steps to follow to do anything are largely intuitive, although taking the tutorial in the beginning probably helped with that. Additionally, the lifetime free support has been inordinately helpful. While I have only used it perhaps three times in the 6+ years I have been using the software, I have always received a response within hours of sending the email, and the advice in the response has always solved my issue

Cons

There is not much to dislike about the software. I suppose that it is less flexible than some in designing one's bill, but I honestly don't care -- the bills look professional and are easy to read, which is what counts. I suppose there are things it will not do, but it does everything I need.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Prior to using Timeslips, I had used a trial version of RTG Bills that I liked, but several people suggested that Timeslips was the industry standard for law firms. When I decided to ditch Timeslips, I reviewed the information on th RTG Bills website and decided that it really met my needs at a reasonable price, so I went back to it without considering any other solution.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

It was non-intuitive and difficult to use. There was only a very short period during which support was provided without charge, and then I was on my own. Paid software support would have been prohibitively expensive. I never became comfortable with Timeslips. I suppose there may be things that Timeslips would do that RTG Bills does not, but as I never needed those things I never found out what they were.

Alan from Alan Grosbard Law Corporation

Most Bang for the Bucks

I have been using this system for 10+ years. Zero regrets. Zero down time. Zero lost data. If all the software I purchase performed this well, I would be even happier than I already am.

Pros

1. Web based. I run a touch screen laptop beside my office computers and log time without distraction. 2. Web based. I can prep monthly billing at home on the weekends. 3. Upgrades are auto and seamless. 4. Maintains my history for years. 5. Crazy easy to change / correct entries from the draft billing screen. 6. Pricing is very easy on the budget.

Cons

1. Moving from desktop to web took some effort, but was a one off. Only purchase the web version and save yourself a lot of effort. 2. Different billing rates for different clients takes some effort. Apologies if there is a quick fix and I just haven't found it yet.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

Timeslips was costly, upgrading all the time. I decided to move into a small product created by someone who had a lot of pride in what she / he was creating. Found it.

Karen from KMS Law Offices, LLC

RTG is the best!

Excellent. This product is a solid addition to any small to mid sized law firm and the value is unmatched.

Pros

This software is easy to use, intuitive, and doesn't take a lot of time to get up and running. It scales well (we started as 1 user and now have 6) and can be customized if desired but also has great defaults. The reports available are too many to be used by any single user, and generally fit our needs really well. Although it took some time to get used to having to use email for all support, we always get a quick and accurate reply.

Cons

The only issue I have encountered is it does not track realization by timekeeper, but rather by responsible attorney. This is not a huge issue, but it is one item that would be helpful.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Price was the initial determining factor, but after 11 years of using it continuously, we could not be happier.

Dave from Law Office of R. Dave DeHerdt

Best deal out there

When I first started practicing law, I searched high and low for a time and billing program that was easy to use and would grow with my practice. It was just dumb luck that I discovered RTG Bills. It has been my one and only billing program for over 15 years.

Pros

This program is simple from initial setup to final invoice printout. There is a very short learning curve and it can be customized quickly and easily.

Cons

I tried the online app version and found it somewhat cumbersome when it came to synchronizing information with my main computer program.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Simplicity, expand ability, Overall ease of use.

Love RTG

User for 10 years and very satisfied

Pros

Intuitive interface and customer support

Cons

N/A. No issues with this product. Cannot criticize

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Lack of bloat and useless complexity

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills -- whoever you are!

Karen from Pinales Stachler Young & Burrell Co., LPA

Excellent Billing Software

We could not be more happy with RTG Bills. We also took advantage of the free Conflict Check feature, which is extremely helpful in our conflict checks process. Also, any questions we have had have always been answered immediately and to our satisfaction.

Pros

We have been using this software for almost seven years now. Before I came to this new law firm, I spent an entire weekend researching different accounting softwares. Price was a consideration, as is for any new start up company. I came across RTG, took them up on the free trial, and found it to be very user friendly. It was easy to jump right in on entering time and printing invoices. I also customized headers so that we can now print invoices on plain copy paper rather than heavy letterhead, which not only saves on our letterhead, but it cut down our postage as well. This software does a lot, I'm still discovering new features.

Cons

There are a LOT of reports you can run and it takes time to view each one and know what they all do. Because there are so many features to this software, more training videos might be helpful (only because I am a more hands-on person and I could follow along).

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied November 2019

Thanks so much for your very positive review of RTG Bills Online, our "cloud" version of RTG Bills. We also appreciate your mentioning RTG Conflicts Online, which is included with every subscription to RTG Bills Online, to help firms reduce conflicts of interest. We are, admittedly, behind the curve in providing video tutorials. We have worked hard to produce written documentation, including a detailed tutorial and context-sensitive help for every "page" of RTG Bills. Videos are on the to-do list and we hope to offer some soon.

Wojciech from REMISZ Consulting Engineers LKtd.

Industry: Civil Engineering

RTG is what you need

super satisfied and happy, an excellent software for our small firm, it is oriented to lawyers, but we as engineers are working on hourly basis as well and this RTG keeps track of hour time and expenses very well. We use it to generate invoices/bills and for keeping track of hours billable and for non-billable overhead. At any moment can change bill format from long and detailed to a summary a few lines only. I contact representative and he replies almost right away, as if he never sleeps, super tech support, very friendly and understanding

Pros

ease of use, logic, screen arrangement, adaptability of custom forms after you learn a few basic steps. excellent tech support from rep with whom I have communicated very often over several years. low 'overhead' with graphics, just what you need to enter hours, short descriptions, how much you want to charge for fees or expenses or lump sum. I simply love it. It beats Quicken or Simply accounting for keeping accounts receivable. quick reports in many formats, can export to excel using it daily for several years, started with a floppy version, will not change it

Cons

creating custom letterhead with colours/graphics, but rep gave me a trick to do it, and I am happily using it.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

simply for practical use in a smaller office that does not need huge overhead categories and programs that will choke the computer for nothing. This RTG can be run an a regular older laptop, notebook, desktop, XP, Win 2000 and up. this is what one needs, simple, efficient, with common sense and clear logic, no fancy icons or graphics that distract only. it simply does the job what you need it to do.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks so much for that wonderful review. And thanks for using RTG Bills for over 19 years!

Vicki from Warren, Carlson & Moore, LLP

Good Value for a Small Firm

Pros

The program ported our data from TimeSlips easy enough and was easy to learn. The price is very reasonable for the program and it's very inexpensive to add users.

Cons

Our firm's biggest complaint is that users are not able to create clients in the program, which creates additional work for the admin. The user must email the admin to create a new account. If the admin is not available, then the attorney may forget to enter time once the client is created. Seems like unnecessary work and I hope they fix this.

Price

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

Sage Timeslips was outrageously expensive and would not support our version any longer.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. As for creating clients, we would like to clarify how that works. RTG Bills users can enter clients and matters, enter fees and expenses, enter client payments, and create bills. Included with RTG Bills is a separate program, RTG Timer, that is designed for timekeepers to enter their fees and expenses. Any user can be given access to RTG Bills, RTG Timer, or both. A user with access to RTG Timer only will not be able to enter new clients. Only an RTG Bills user can enter new clients. We should note that the "cloud" version of RTG Bills lets you give a user access to RTG Bills, but then limit what they can do. So, for example, you could allow a user to enter new clients and matters, but not allow entry of payments or the printing of bills and reports.

Anne from Law Office

Good for Solo Practice

Pros

This software is easy to use. Most billing software is designed for large firms that do civil practice and thus do not fit with my practice. RTG Bills does work for my practice area, size and billing. The cost is very reasonable, and the technical support has been very good.

Cons

Would like to be able to code activities/expenses for shorthand entry AND have those fees and expenses still itemized on the bills. Last time I attempted this, there was only the possibility of getting a lump total if the short hand codes were used, so not a usable feature for how I bill. Also, since the most recent version, I have to log out as a user and log in as an administrator to get updates. The old way was better.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Unlike Timeslips, RTG Bills works for my practice area, size and billing. The cost is very reasonable, and the technical support has been very good.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. You don't have to summarize coded items. An item with an activity or expense code is only summarized on the bill if you choose that option for the code. Contact support if you need help with this feature.

Lynn from Buskey Law Offices

Great Product for a Great Price

I was paying a monthly fee for my billing software, which added up to far more than what I paid as a flat fee for RTG. The system I was using had so many functions that I never even touched, so it was frustrating paying so much for functions that I just didn't need. I think that RTG is simple to use, does the job I need it to do, and allows me to track everything that I need to track (billable time, payments, unpaid bills, client summaries, etc.). It is simply a great product for the price.

Pros

I am amazed at how well RTG works and enables me to bill clients with relative ease at such a good price. I was previously paying on a monthly basis for a system that was more complicated to use before I had heard of RTG. With so many systems out there you are paying for functions that are just not necessary. RTG allows me to track time, bill clients, add courtesies or other adjustments, note payments, track unpaid bills, and much more. I am very pleased with this purchase!

Cons

I guess I would say that I get a little frustrated that you have to close out everything you are working on before you can do anything else. It is a "one-track mind" kind of system. Unlike what we are used to with having multiple windows open, you have to close out of a task before you can move on to the next task.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

TurboLaw was acquired by LEAP and they TRIPLED the monthly fee! I was not happy that they increased the fee so much, and it was just not worth the money based on the needs that I had for my billing software.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate such an honest (yet complimentary!) review. It is absolutely true that RTG Bills does not display multiple windows. It was part of the original design to focus on one thing at a time, with the goal of Billing Made Easy.

Jennifer from Hans Probate & Trust Services

Super easy and affordable timekeeping / billing program

I've been using RTG for 15+ years. It's very low maintenance, super easy to use, and so affordable. Highly recommend it for someone looking for a streamlined approach to timekeeping and billing.

Pros

This software is super easy to use, not a lot of overwhelming or confusing "fluff"... just clean and simple. Also very affordable. I also like that the timer can be interrupted for another timer, for example if a billable call comes in while I was working on another billable project; makes it very easy to capture all time as I work throughout the day, rather than trying to remember it all to enter later.

Cons

I wish it had a place to add more detailed notes to each time entry, separate from the actual time entry, so that the brief description (phone call with client) would show on the bill, but the more detailed notes (exactly what was discussed, etc.) could be hidden on the client bill yet easily accessible for my future reference. That is the only function I find to be missing, but love the program otherwise.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

For the low cost, it was worth checking it out, and I was immediately impressed and able to get on with the billable work, so there was no need to spend time playing with other programs any further. I've never regretted it.

Roy from Law Practice

Industry: Law Practice

Solid dependable small office software

I couldn't do time-keeping/billing without it. I was previously a long time user of Timeslips, but after quite a number of unsatisfactory difficulties with it, combined with big price increases, I migrated to RTG, and have been very happy ever since. I've not used it in a multi-biller office, so I can't comment on its use for that purpose.

Pros

Value for the money. Does everything I need without unnecessary complexity.

Cons

Has a few unnecessary multi-clicks to perform routine tasks, such as committing a slip in Timer.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

Cost, excessive complexity, without the capacity to do some of the basic things I wanted the software to do.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it.

Miriam from Law Office of Miriam N. Jacobson

Industry: Law Practice

Combines ease-of-use with full functionality

I switched to RTG over 20 years ago after having been a long time Timeslips user. With [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Assistance, I was able to port over most of this data and set up RTG’s bills with ease and seamlessly hit the ground running. I was able to cut down my billing cycle from more than three days to about three hours, max, which made might me love billing and collecting on a much faster time basis. Whenever I did run into a problem, I was able to contact the rep for Tech Support and get a timely response. My entire experience with the RTG bills has been exemplary. As a solo lawyer, minimizing my effort on this administrative task has freed me to enjoy my practice.

Pros

RTG software allows me to efficiently capture all of my time and to easily and accurately bill it with a minimum of effort. It offers many options for customizing and formatting invoices and reports for my own information and to inform my clients. And the customer support is excellent.

Cons

It’s only a minor inconvenience: having to open the billing module at billing time.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Ease of conversion and use

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks so much for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate your support of RTG Bills over the years!

Roy from Hegard Law Practice

Excellent value, no frills Time and Billing program

Pros

It just plain works. An advanced degree in Information Technology is not required to install and use this software, nor do you need to take out a loan to purchase it, or pay monthly or annual fees for support. It is not loaded with spurious features that 80% of all users would never use, (e.g. Quickbooks or any of the host of other legal time and billing programs) for a time and billing program. It is easy to set up and only takes a few hours to get a basic understanding of the time keeping functions. The reports and other more advanced features are relatively easy to learn and use. A very important feature, especially for those doing family law GAL work, is its split billing function.

Cons

The in-program help menus could be improved a bit, remote access by their support would probably be beneficial to some users. Online webinars would bring them up to 2020 standards.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Simple and efficient to use, best bang for the buck out there, hands down.

Evan from Loeffler Law Group PLLC

RTG Bills Online review

I am very happy with RTG Bills Online. I have no major complaints.

Pros

Cons

Going from Timer to Bills for different functions can be inconvenient. It should be clearer which program the user is in. The banner on the top of the screen says Timer or Bills, but perhaps different colors would make it more obvious. I would use a window to anchor the banner on the top of the page and consider adding an indicator of where the user is in the menus.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied November 2019

Thanks so much for your review of RTG Bills Online, the "cloud" version of RTG Bills. For those unfamiliar with the difference between Bills and Timer, here is a quick explanation. We designed Timer for a timekeeper to enter his or her own time. It includes a stopwatch for timing work, a way to quickly switch among recently-used matters, and other convenience features for the timekeeper. RTG Bills also allows time entry, but that feature is oriented more toward a person entering the time for someone else. In addition, Bills has complete facilities for creating bills, receiving payments, handling retainers and trust accounts, generating reports, and much more. We will definitely consider a way to make the distinction between Bills and Timer clearer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edwin from Edwin A Grinvalds, Attorney at Law

RTG bills great billing software

Easy to bill and keep track of payments from clients whether by mail or email

Pros

Easy to set up once and use with client billing and payments

Cons

Cumbersome to set up letterhead for bills

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

Ease of use - less time to learn product and increased productivity

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks so much for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. Our method of creating a letterhead does not use "drag-and-drop", which we feel puts the burden on the user to keep everything in alignment. Instead, you supply the text and RTG Bills takes care of the alignment.

Christopher from Elmore Law

Industry: Law Practice

Perfect Software for a Small Firm!

I compared RTG to a plethora of other billing software options for law firms. Most are online and require monthly license purchase of upwards of $50/users. This would be prohibitive, or at least a severe deterrent, to someone just starting out. RTG does everything else these other packages do, but you buy it and own it and don't have to continue paying every month and get sucked into a company that you could never switch from because they have all of your billing.

Pros

It's perfect for my law office. I have two paralegals and an associate. It's a one-time purchase, it does literally everything I need for all of my billing. I can submit e-bills to all of the different insurance companies I work for and it has phenomenal reporting, so I can see the different aspects of what I've billed, what's been paid, etc.

Cons

There is literally nothing I don't like about this software.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

It does everything you need for a fraction of the cost and you can keep the software on your local network and back it up yourself.

Brent from Brent Whiting Law Office

Comprehensive, Easy and Inexpensive

RTG Bills has been a great tool for my practice. Any attorney, especially small firms like mine, would be surprised at the value and quality provided by this software.

Pros

Cons

I really like that the software includes a lot of choices for reports, such as billings, receipts, expenses, hours, and many, many more. There are so many (not a bad thing!), however, that it took a while to figure out which reports I needed to generate for specific purposes. An explanation for the purpose of each type of report would improve the usefulness of the software.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Another attorney recommended RTG Bills, and after using the free trial it was obvious that RTG Bills would be very useful, convenient and a great value.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

I started my own firm and did not want to pay the high price for the software my old firm was using.

Greg from MRA legal

Industry: Law Practice

Went through so many billing programs

Pros

The simplicity. It certainly isn't fancy, no pictures of gavels or fancy features. Probably why it never crashes. It is so dependable. We dont need it to do much. Track time and be dependable and that's it. And I have spent so much more money on timekeeping programs, and spent the time to learn them and boom. Crash or just doesn't work. This was a fraction of the cost and waaaay easier to use. I cant say enough good things for RTG. When setting it up to the online, I had a thousand stupid questions and then my credit card expired, and I forgot my login and locked my entire firm out. Anyway the customer service department was so patient with me and my stupid questions. nothing but good things to say and my appreciation for their product.

Cons

I really have no complaints. It works as advertised.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

fed up with the others really. and price.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied November 2019

What can I say but THANKS!!!

Patrick from Pat Cougill, Attorney at Law

Great Product at a Great Value

I can rely on this product to capture the billing information and provide a professional looking invoice to my clients.

Pros

The cost is very good, especially given the quality of the product. I found it was easy to setup and I have never encountered a functional problem. The company provides prompt customer support when needed, although I have not had to use it except for a couple of questions.

Cons

I initially had a little difficulty learning how to review past billings but finally figured out a way to view all the dates of the past billings in order to review them quicker. I should have dug deeper so I am going to attribute that to user error. I have also had difficulty emailing the invoices directly from the program which would avoid having to print and then scan the billings before emailing them to clients.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

This product was recommended by someone who had reviewed many of the other products available.

Bryce from OC Elder Law

Perfect for my practice

Previously, I've used several standalone and law practice timekeeping and billing systems over the past 25+ years. RTG is by far the simplest, most straightforward and economical of the bunch. I appreciate that the program is standalone and I don't have to open a practice management system, then click-through layers to drill down into timekeeping or billing. Preparing billings is a snap. When reviewing a pre-billing statement if I want to make a change, I can simply click on the billing item, and it opens the time/expense entry, so I can modify it. Then, when the change has been made, I can close the entry and the statement reappears with the changes. Simple!

Pros

Everything is intuitive. It opens promptly, is quick to navigate and back-ups are fast. Short-cut keys can be set up to save time for repetitive types of entries (e.g., "Phone conference with client" can be inserted with, for example, a short-cut 'PCC')

Cons

No cons. It works. Don't be put off by the basic look of the user interface.

Price and simplicity.

Carol from Carol D. Kimball, Law Office

Industry: Law Practice

I have found the product to be amazing and the customer support is magnificent

Pros

I like how easy it is to customize but most of all I love the customer support. I have a question or issue and it is answered very quickly. In understandable language. I looked a long time and tried several different billing products and have had RTG for about 15 years. I have not seen anything as good.

Cons

When I first started I had to learn the program, but the support was wonderful so it wasn't that much of a burden.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

It was the most convenient for a law practice. It was reasonably priced. And it's customer service is terrific. Very personal and quick responses. Which is not been my experience with other products. There are a lot of billing systems, and I looked at a lot of them. I really like RTG

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

RTG is superior to anything I've used

James from Shenwick & Associates

RTG Used by Law Firm

Pros

Ease of use, cost, not too many useless features and tech support-very responsive!

Cons

No complaints, I switched from Timeslips and never looked back. Timeslips was difficult to setup, difficult to use, they required annual costly updates and it had many features I did not need.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

Timeslips was difficult to use, too many useless features and they required you to purchase costly updates.

Robert from Law Offices of Robert Burns

RTG Bills & Timer

I capture all of my time on client cases whether hourly-fee, contingent fee, or pro-bono, and do all of my billing using this software. I have been with RTG since I migrated from my Windows system to my Mac in 2012 and for some time before that. I don't know what I did before that. I have noticed some of my colleagues having unpleasant histories with competitor products. I have no need to switch. I'd hate to learn a new system. And the customer support here is unequalled.

Pros

It allows me to keep track of my time on cases and do billing from my office computer as well as various mobile devices (I use only a laptop computer and mobile phone when mobile). The customer support is exemplary.

Cons

There are some small quirks that are not intuitive.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks so much for reviewing RTG Bills. It is especially appreciated coming from both a long-time RTG Bills user (20 years!) and someone who switched from the Windows PC version to the online "cloud" version (nearly five years ago).

N L from PerlsLaw

Best value for time and billing software

Pros

Very easy to set up and use; can have different billing rules for different clients; GREAT customer support.

Cons

Is solely PC/Windows based (however, for a monthly fee, can use the program on line, and for even smaller monthly fee, can enter billing on line from all devices).

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

Timeslips became very expensive over time, and had poor customer support.

David from The Rainier Law Group, PLLc

Simplicity itself

The software gives me up-to-date information about who has paid and who is behind on payment, which is important to healthy business performance.

Pros

The software tracks client trust funds and allows easy reconciliation with the trust-account bank statement. RTG Bills (I use the online version) has many reports that help me slice and dice time and money data to get critical information about business performance. Timekeeping, billing, and payments-received windows are ultra-simple and allow text entries as detailed as I want. RTG staff responds promptly to help inquiries.

Cons

Figuring out some of the authors' terminology (for example, understanding the difference between a "timekeeper" and a "user").

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Simplicity, function, and price.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

To simplify and improve timekeeping, billing, and collection.

John from Oshoway Law Office

Long-Long time user

Helps me keep track of my single most important product - my time.

Pros

I've used this software for almost 20 years. Still using version 2.23. Stopped upgrading when the added features stopped being something I needed. I am a solo practitioner and I enter my own time and prep my own bills, so the features directed at group use and networking just have not been important. Despite that it has remained highly functional for me and very easy to use.

Cons

The only real problem I've ever had has been when entering my time over multiple days the software does not assist to remind me to change dates (or at least check on them) so that sometimes I input 24+ hours of billable time in one day. I've also sometimes wished for a more versatile search feature.

Functionality (simplicity) and cost

Michele from Davenport & James PLLC

Simple, easy to use, great customer service

Pros

RTG Bills was easy to install when I set up a new law firm eight years ago, and it has done everything I need it to do - record time easily, produce invoices easily, generate reports easily. No bells and whistles, just a solid product that has never had any issues. I can't say that about any of the other software I use in my law practice! Customer service has been excellent the few times I've needed to contact them (and the problem has always been on my end with my computer/Windows, not with the software). A great price point for a small law firm, too.

Cons

No cons. It's not fancy, if you want fancy, but that is not a drawback in my opinion.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks so much for your wonderful review of RTG Bills. We really appreciate it!

Jolee from Legal

RTG review

I have cut down the amount of time spent on posting billable time.

Pros

Simple to enter billable time and retainer payments

Cons

If the standard retainer is selected, other transactions cannot be processed unless a bill is printed. The type of account cannot be changed (from matter to client or visa versa) once it has been created. The format of the invoices is limited. It would be convenient to be able to print those bills that are accounts receivable only.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

It appeared to be basic and less time consuming for me, and easier to understand invoices for the clients.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. Regarding retainer accounts, RTG Bills offers client-level accounts and matter-level accounts. A client-level account can be used to pay any matter for the client. It is true that you cannot change a matter-level account to a client-level account, but with a few steps, you can accomplish the same thing. First, create the new client-level account. Then transfer the balance with two transactions: a "retainer refund" to get the balance from the matter-level account and a "retainer received" to put the same amount in the client-level account.

Nancy Crosta from Farkas & Donohue, LLC

Product Review

Ease of quickly entering billing detail.

Pros

Ease of quickly entering billing detail.

Cons

If you view someone's entry then that person's ID and the date of that entry "sticks" so that your next entry will be with that other person's ID and the date of the entry you most recently viewed.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied November 2019

Thanks for reviewing RTG Bills Online, the "cloud" version of RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. Some users enter several fees for the same timekeeper, one after another. So the timekeeper is carried forward to the next entry. You can always change the timekeeper if you don't want the same choice for the new entry. Similarly, some users enter several fees (or expenses) for the same date, one after another. So the date is carried forward to the next entry. Again, you can always change the date if you need to.

Walleska from Marandas Sinlapasai Garcia, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

RTG for immigration law firm

It has been great having this billing system for the last seven years. I especially appreciate the response time when we have reached out to support for help.

Pros

I like that it is user friendly and everyone in our office can use it, from the receptionist to our law partners.

Cons

There are some detailed reports that I have been asked to produce and they are not options in the program.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

We had a friend that recommended it.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

They closed their business.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied November 2019

Thanks for taking the time to review RTG Bills Online, the "cloud" version of RTG Bills. Although RTG Bills offers many reports, and we frequently add new ones, I doubt we will ever have "enough" reports for all possible situations. We always welcome suggestions for new reports (and other features).

John from Attorney at Law

Good and inexpensive

The software helps me keep bills going out and therefore money coming in.

Pros

There is a learning curve but once you master that the software is quick and easy to use. Only had to contact customer supports once, and they were responsive and helpful.

Cons

It is a bit cumbersome to enter the client info, then the matter, but that's probably just a difference between this and timeslips.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Initially, price, but I am very glad I did. I have recommended this software to colleagues, and would again.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

Timeslips' expensive "upgrades" were just patches dressed up to charge more. This software is inexpensive and very user friendly.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We do appreciate it. It is true that RTG Bills separates clients and their matters, which is true of most (maybe all) legal-specific billing systems. It lets you see client totals in certain reports. Also, it means that the client information is not duplicated.

RIchard from Richard Bush Law Office

Industry: Law Practice

I only use the time records and bills;

Pros

Ease of use; low cost; one-time input of data;

Cons

Limited use for my practice; having to upgrade; having to end a billing cycle and then cancel bills to resume; Inability to get back to previously printed bills; cumbersome switching between screens; I cannot transport data to Microsoft Word or pdf; I have to scan printed bills to pdf to email them to clients;

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. RTG Bills can reprint bills as PDF files. You don't need to scan them! As an option, you can have RTG Bills email them as attachments. Please contact support if you want help with this or the other issues you mentioned in your review.

Roderick from roderick potter

RTG Bills software review

Operating on my own without any staff, I am able to accurately track charges and produce monthly bills that are professional in appearance and accurate. At year end I am able to easily produce reports that facilitate preparation of tax returns. The program will also produce a wide variety of reports to track and analyze charges and payments.

Pros

I have been using this products since I started solo practice 10 years ago. I have found it easy to use, virtually bug free, and cost efficient.

Cons

I don't have any serious complaints. The help tips are sometimes not too helpful, but I have yet to run into a problem that customer support couldn't solve by email.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

I was happy with price and ease of use.

Mark from Mark D. Gershenson, Attorney at Law

Industry: Law Practice

Great software, terrific customer support

RTG lets me record my time on the fly and generate bills easily. When I have run into problems, customer support has been superb, with really quick response times.

Pros

It is a stable program, does what I need it to do (and then some). Simple to use once you have set it up.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

TimeSlips seemed too expensive and too complicated. I'm a sole practitioner and Mr. Bill does everything I need a billing program to do.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

At this point, I don't recall. I've been using RTG for a long time.

Chris from Chris Nadolski&Associates

Very good simple software

Pros

Simplicity common sense and good support

Cons

Nothing - all is OK cannot be better. I really cannot find anything wrong [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] I am really greatfull when you adjusted in thye matter of hours the program to our specific needs. Good on you mate.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Very good software, we made a lot of money thanks to it and the support is excellent. Americans are the best.

Much better

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks so much for the wonderful review. We try to make RTG Bills work for all our users - even in Australia!

Kris from Vanderlaan and Vanderlaan PA

Industry: Law Practice

Pros

Ease of Use; Entry of clients is simple in the program

Cons

Retainer account for client level and matters does not intergrate

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied September 2019

Thanks so much for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. RTG Bills allows both matter-level retainer accounts (which are used tp pay a single matter) and client-level retainer accounts (which can be used to pay any of a client's matters). If you get a second matter for a client, you may want to change the retainer from a matter-level account to a client-level account. The procedure for changing a retainer account from a matter-level account to a client-level account requires quite a few steps. So recently we created a free update to RTG Bills that automates this procedure.

Dawna from Guardian Services By Dawna James

RTG Bills Online

The value of RTG Bills is great and the cost for what is given is amazing too.

Pros

Getting started with it is fairly easy and quick. The reports are great. The short hand codes are time savers.

Cons

I would like the Unit cost expense to be able to be a monthly billed option as well like the set fee. Wish it was easier to reach a person when there was a question about process or an issue.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

Cost and ease of use as well as the report options

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

This program was easier to use and I had previous experience using it.

Response from RTG Data Systems

Replied November 2019

Thanks for taking the time to review RTG Bills Online, which is the "cloud" version of RTG Bills.

Brigida from Attorney - Abogada

You get MORE than what you pay for!

RTG solved my training issues. As personnel changed the program was constant and the instructions are so easy that each new person taught themselves. I do not remember RTG's program ever being down. Since I have had no issues, I only used Customer Service for shortcuts when learning the program. RTG bills look no different that the more costly competitors.

Pros

I believe you get what you pay for but with RTG the value outweighs the cost. The one time cost and free updates cannot be beat. The program is user friendly and the upgrades are free. RTG was not the first billing program I ever used, but it will be the last. Compared to the other vendors this is definately the best. Thanks RTG.

Cons

It took me so long to find it and it seemed almost too good to be true.

Reasons for Choosing RTG Bills

One time payment, lifetime free updates, and no constant maintenance.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

Cost. I was paying monthly and there was no end to the expense. With RTG the cost is fixed and economic.

Vito from Law Office of Vito P LoVerde

Industry: Law Practice

Excellent program and excellent support.

RTG has handled all of my client billing and related issues without flaw.

Pros

I have been using RTG for over 10 years and have found it to be easy to use while still being comprehensive. On those occasions when I have had questions that I was unable to resolve I contact RTG for support. The rep responded to my questions within 24 hours, and was able to talk me through my issues (and they were in fact my issues and not issues with RTG) quickly.

Cons

For me, RTG has satisfied all of my needs and I have no complaints.

See above.

Reasons for Switching to RTG Bills

Clear instructions and ease of use.

Charles from Stiegler Law Firm LLC

Excellent Old School Billing Software

Pros

I like the straightforward user interface. It looks like software from 1999, but in the best possible way. RTG bills is completely reliable, easy to use, and as powerful as you want it to be, given the time you want to spend to explore its depths. It's not cute or friendly looking, but that is not what I want in business software.

Cons

I have had no issues with the software, but I only use it to track my own time, so I have no experience with how this software works for teams.

Karen from Murolo & Murolo LLC

Worth Every Penny

I have used RTG Bills for my small law firm for almost 15 years. It serves my purposes beautifully--is easy to use, has all the right features, can do paper bills and ebilling, and all at an extremely affordable price. The customer service is great when I need it, but it works so well it has been years since I've even needed to talk to them. When I did it was to set up ebilling protocols for different clients and they were extremely helpful.

Pros

Easy to use, very affordable, adaptable, good customer service.

Cons

There is nothing I do not like. The software does everything I need it to do.

Arthur from Thexton Law Offices

A fine product

I needed a time and billing system for my solo practice, and this program suits my needs very well.

Pros

I practice law out of a home office, by myself and without staff. I find RTG to be easy to use, well-supported, and highly functional. I recommend it!

Cons

I have not had any problems, so cannot say that there is anything to "like least." I do find having to set up "matters" in addition to setting up the client to be unnecessary in my practice, so the additional time that takes is not productive for me.

Richard from Law Offices of Richard D Schell

RTG - Keystone of a Successful Practice

In over 30 years of practicing law I cannot say that I have purchased a good or service that equals the value of RTG. It is a straightforward, user-friendly solution for keeping time and billing clients -- literally the single most important non-legal function of any law firm. It is not particularly fancy or slick, but it does what it supposed to do. It just works.

Pros

RTG is easy to learn. Inexpensive. Reliable. It produces billing statements that are accurate, informative and look good.

Cons

Inability to copy text out of reports in the "View" mode.

Maury from Lily Innovation

Excellent Small Firm Billing Software With Superb Support

I am able to submit electronic bills (via TyMetrix) to an important large client, in a convenient way without expensive infrastructure.

Pros

RTG Bills and RTG Timer Online are an extremely effective and cost-effective option for a small legal firm. RTG Bills provides all of the functions needed to submit electronic bills to the world's largest companies, and RTG Timer Online allows time to be entered easily from any Internet-connected device. This software just works without unnecessary bells and whistles, and the functionality has been stable over many years without requiring me to purchase unnecessary upgrades. And on the few occasions when something has gone wrong, customer support has been superb -- responsive, personal and effective. For what RTG provides, the pricing is refreshingly reasonable.