Tabs3 Reviews

4.68 / 5 (160)

Our advisors have recommended this product 41 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "User Friendly. Great Customer Support. Reasonably priced"

• "Ease of use, functionality, great customer service"

• "This is a very good product for a small firm. User friendly and very easy to learn."

• Cons

• "The software is user friendly legal billing software but the spelling check system needs to be improved. "

• "I have no complaints with the software. I think the help files could be a little more robust using natural language searches."

• "While not actually difficult, it is less than intuitive to learn."

Browse Tabs3 Reviews

Tracy from Rembolt Ludtke, LLP

I highly recommend Tabs3 Software

We use Tabs for our timekeeping and billing, the Tabs3 Connect is a great feature for attorneys to enter their time on the go. The General Ledger and Accounts Payable software integrate well with each other and with Tabs, so that saves on duplication of work. Practice Master has great features and is a great database for containing the information needed for our clients.

Pros

The software is very user friendly, the programs are intuitive and the e-mail bills are a great function! We have been using all the products offered by Tabs3 for over 25 years. The upgrades always have something new and better when they come out.

Cons

There just isn't enough time for me to learn all the capabilities of the software.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied August 2019

Tracy, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate hearing from you. Unfortunately I can't add more time to the day, but if there's something we can do to make things easier for you, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Katherine from Hirst Applegate, LLP

Satisfied Customer

We have used Tabs3 for billing since before I started (16 years ago), but we used another practice management software for a while before switching to PracticeMaster. We recently made the change from the basic version to the Platinum version. The price difference was the hurdle, but the features in Platinum are valuable. Support has been very good over the years.

Pros

We have added fields in PracticeMaster to track information that we want available, and those fields are then available in the Report Writer. For example, we added a tab for our Estate Planning matters to track which documents were created for them and whether we are storing the originals or if the client has the originals. Report Writer allows you to create custom reports pulling information from PracticeMaster. I wish you could pull more information from other parts of the Tabs3 Suite in the reports. While we are slow to incorporate new features into our daily use, I find many of them valuable. We have just started to use the email statement feature which isn't very new.

Cons

There is so much to the software that it can take a new user a little while to get up to speed on it. It takes some training to know where to enter information so that it syncs correctly between the different parts of the software. We need to be more proactive about learning about the features and functionality. We don't have a reseller that helps us implement them.

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

PracticeMaster's integration with Tabs3 which we had used for billing since before I started with the law firm (16 years ago).

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied December 2020

Katherine, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your feedback. There are some tools available to pull data from other areas of the software for reports--if you're interested, reach out to Support and we can talk to you about them! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

August 2016

Phil from Law Office of PWG. P.A.

August 2016

The not so good Tabs

I have had Tabs since 2010, it is terrible. You purchase the program and then you constantly have to go back to customer service (tech dept.) and they want to hit you up for $200 per hour for tech help, as you can imagine that is absurd, expensive and terrible. They let you buy the product and make it seem like there is no additional cost, reality is that you better pay for the ongoing tech support because there are always errors and problems that need addressing, did I mention the $50 minimal charge or $200 per hour for tech help. I rarely was able to use the program, each time I tries there was some new error message and a need to seek out tech department, truly a terrible experience.

Pros

The software has a wide array of features and billing is nicely prints out in a very organized and concise format, it really does have a lot of detail and nice features.

Cons

It seems to always have some problem or error message on the rare instances when I actually needed it to do a billing for a client, nothing is worse than paying for a product and then having to waste time because it will not work and then get stuck paying extra by having to call and pay the tech department $200 per hour to help you figure out why their product does not work as it is promised and as it should from the start. How is it possible that the product regularly has error messages that are not resolvable without a call to the tech department. Very frustrating.

Response from Software Technology

Replied August 2016

I am sorry that Mr. Gunthert has not had a good experience. We have reached out to him to discuss the specific issues that he is having.   I did want to mention a few things related to the points that he brought up. To make sure clients get off to a good start, every purchase of Tabs3 includes a free year of maintenance, which includes both technical support and any product updates that come out during the year. After a year, the maintenance is optional. Many clients prefer that to being required to pay an annual fee.   Also, our technical support team gets very high marks. In our last client survey 96% of our clients said they were satisfied with the support that they received from our team. In that same survey, 9 out of 10 Tabs3 clients say they would recommend Tabs3 to other firms. Kim Hanzl, Support Manager

Peter from Rehmani & Associates

Great! But not perfect

Pros

Its robust billing system. Technical support is always great (+10 points for them).

Cons

There are a lot of annoying features that make it not very user friendly at times such as: Reminder for Backups and especially the Tabs3 verification Lists. those are the two main things I dislike about the software. But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE prioritize removing the verification lists popup from Tabs3. I provided some further feedback about other requested features in a prior survey, and i have emailed them to the wishlist email. A follow up would be nice, or something just letting the client know hey we're actually taking a look at this, although we don't know if and when it is getting rolled out, or a hey this a great idea! our engineers are taking a look at it to try to implement soon.... Rather than an automated message.

William from Booth Law Firm LLC

TAB3 Software is great

The overall experience is been excellent especially the prompt response to support.

Pros

Runs locally and fast over my local network using Windows 10 Pro. Quick response means productivity is achieved. Like the fact that I can use for my financial part of my practice-trust accounting, general ledger accounting, accounts payable. All accessible to all users at my firm.

Cons

This software as many features and you need to take the time to learn the new features and sometimes they require extensive time to develop.

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

My experience is that cloud-based can create a lag in performance and cloud-based does not have all the great features of TABS3. But TABS3 has some remote connection features which have worked out very well for any time that I need to access information out of the office. Interestingly, not an app but you do need to use your browser on your smart phone but this seems to work just as well as if an app was available.

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

A lower price per user and the fact that all my financial part by practice would be included.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied October 2020

William, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We're very glad you're enjoying your experience with Tabs3. If there's anything we can do to help you be even more productive, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Sharon from Orten Cavanagh & Holmes, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Complete package for the small law firm

We were able to build a collections process that efficiently walks through the matter steps so that everything is done quickly and accurately. Setting up workflows that set calendar follow, merge documents, send emails, launch appropriate websites as needed, or do calculations.

Pros

We love it's ease of use and ability to customize the PracticeMaster module. It's intuitive and the billing side is very robust.

Cons

Because of it's versatility and customization features, you can easily get carried away with data collection.

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

Tabs/PracticeMaster was much easier to use, more stable and their customer support is outstanding!

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied August 2019

Sharon, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. - Emily L., Software Trainer

Andree from Batley Family Law

High praise for Tabs3

Everything was exceptional. We were able to download and test the software for our particular needs prior to purchase.

Pros

Installation and use of Tabs3 have exceeded our expectations. Attys and staff quickly learned it and like the ability to see a graph of their hours daily. For me, the billing and reporting functions are great. Customer support is accessible, knowledgeable and a big help. Also, the Help query gives lots of good documentation and tips. We installed easily, ran into some snags in first month but were quickly addressed with help from customer support.

Cons

So far we haven't hit an obstacle with use of the software or getting information from it. Much more information and reporting available for us still to explore.

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

Liked the integration of Tabs3 with Practicemaster. Support team of Tabs3 was very good.

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

We liked the integration of Tabs3 with Practicemaster.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied December 2020

Andree, Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to leave such kind words! We appreciate it very much. If there's anything more we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Jennifer from Gellner Law Group

I'm a Fan of TABS

Pros

I like working with my representative and how all programs are integrated for ease of use and efficiency.

Cons

Like anything, it took a little while to get used to a new program.

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

Highly recommended by a fellow attorney, and I really liked Rep of Law Firm Automation, who has been with me every step of the way!

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

I bought a law office and plan to expand, and I needed more efficiency.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Jennifer, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

MARY from DICKLER KAHN SLOWIKOWSKI & ZAVELL, LTD

Reliable and Convenient

We have used the product for over 30 years and are impressed with the continued updating to keep current with new technology. I am looking forward to one day being able to "dial" the client through VOIP integration already in the office.

Pros

The fact that this suite of programs interact with each other is wonderful. Everyone in the office can work in the programs simultaneously and have access to all information about any one of the clients. If one staff member enters information, notes, scans documents, enters time or costs for a client, every person will have access to that same information. This solves a lot of explaining to clients "I will ask her when she comes in if that document is ready" because the document is right there attached to their client information for all to see. Of course, you can limit by group which staff members can access what information depending on security of certain financial rights.

Cons

If you have more than one person writing checks, you must wait for the other person to finish before you can print your checks. There isn't a "stacking" policy in the payables program.

Overall integration

George from Arnold Law Offices

Industry: Law Practice

Excellent choice for attorneys looking for robust options and execllent accounting integration

Pros

The robust billing features in Tabs3 are second to none. Tabs3 allows you to pro-actively set up every client matter in accord with its unique requirements. The feature offering is so rich that it starts you thinking of scenarios you had not considered. A little difficult to penetrate at the start but the customer services by phone is exceptional and a refreshing retro to the plethora of chat models that do not hold a candle to phone support that picks up quickly and solves every issue you throw at them. But soon you know the program so well, you're calling support only infrequently..

Cons

Some features can feel a little clunky. But not a big issue.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied November 2020

George, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave us such a kind review! We appreciate your questions when you do give us a call. Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Becky from McClure McClure & Davis

Industry: Law Practice

A little hard a first to learn . . .

It was difficult to learn initially. Our consultant spent a day with me in our office showing me how to use it. The difficult part is that some of our cases are billed electronically through a third party website. Learning how to do that was difficult. The other cases are billed normally, just by creating an invoice. That part is pretty simple once you learn the program. There are still several options in the program that I don't know how to use, or haven't needed yet.

Pros

Once it's figured out how to use it, it's basically pretty simple. It does have some confusing areas however. Trying to find the solution in the Help area is difficult at times as well. Tech Support is very helpful when needed, and patient if it takes awhile to explain exactly what your problem is.

Cons

We've only been using it a little over 1 year. It was a switch from Timeslips, which is very user friendly. There have been too many updates this year though. We have to use our IT company to install the updates, which gets expensive. The main 2020 update was installed, but then there have been I believe 3 since then. It shouldn't be necessary to have so many updates, unless they can be auto installed, like Microsoft does, etc. not involving IT assistance. Tech support can do it as well, but access to the company server is required to install them.

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

Or major client (an insurance company) switched their electronic billing provider, and Timeslips was not a supported product.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied October 2020

Becky, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! You're right that we release updates throughout the year--we're making changes and adding new features that we hope our users are excited about! We've changed the process so that not all updates have to be done on the server for our Platinum version, any updates that need to be run at the server will tell you when you go to Help | Check for Updates or when the installer is run. We hope this change will make it easier for you to keep up to date! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Terre from Ryan, Montgomery & Armstrong

Accounting and Billing Software

I have been using TABS3, TAS, APS and GLS for over 30 years and it is a very powerful program. My office has been using this software since 1989 and we have no intention of changing it. Everyone in our office enters their own time and it is very easy to train people to use the program. The software makes the accounting, bill paying and billing very easy to do. As they have updated the software they continue to add features that save time and therefore, money. My experience with this software has been very good.

Pros

This software is very comprehensive. We use the billing, trust accounting, accounts payable and general ledger modules of this software. They are very good about updating the software on a regular basis and listen to the users comments and requests for upgrades. I like that it integrates well with all of the modules of software. The trust accounting module is excellent and makes it really easy to comply with the bar associations regulations on lawyers' trust accounts. It prints a three way reconciliation that balances not only with the bank statement, but with the trust accounts as well.

Cons

In some ways, this software is so comprehensive and has so many features that it can be hard to understand all of the capabilities of the software or to find certain features. But if you think it can do something, it probably can. The Software Technology technical support people are incredible. They will stay on the phone with you for as long as it takes to learn a feature or figure out how to do something.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Terre, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Martha from Steenrod, Schwartz & McMinimee, LLP

Love STI Products

I've been using TABS3 software since about 1998. Having TABS3 Software and its integrated software modules make billing, case management, accounts payable, GL and trust accounting a breeze. TABS3 software bills are easy for clients to read making it easier for them to pay. It's easy to maneuver in, make changes on a draft basis and the like. Pulling information from TABS3 software for analytics makes my job easier to determine timekeeper production, fields of practice viability, and financial progress. And bank reconciliations - nice! PracticeMaster manages information at-a-glance - no more pulling paper files or going to other programs to find it. TABS3 software is one of our most valuable tools.

Pros

All STI products are integrated. They are user-friendly.

Cons

Report Writer: Unless you have a computer programmer on staff or know someone who is intimately familiar with Report Writer, Report Writer is not worth the trouble because you'll never figure it out. Quirky things that cause problems: A. You can't give discounts on bills unless your current fees billed supports that amount of discount. Discounts are given on an overall basis, not just on the current fees billed. B. AP module leaves you hanging in TABS3 cost entry; it doesn't cycle back to AP so you can write more checks. C. Refunds where no money is involved can go over to GL as if money was involved - need to be on your toes to delete that immediately.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Martha, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much! We have made some changes to credits in version 19 that may help with your discounts and streamlining entry in AP--please reach out to Technical Support if you're interested in more information! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Luann from Sosin, Arnold & Schoenbeck, Ltd.

Multi-functional software

The integration features of the billing, accounts payable, general ledger and trust accounting are wonderful and such a time saver. The credit card payment feature is seamless and so easy to use.

Pros

We use Tabs 3 billing, Accounts Payable, Trust Accounting and General Ledger programs. The ease of integration is such a time saver. The credit card payment option is so seamless and user friendly.

Cons

The cost. We have been using this software since 1992. I don't like the fact that when a new enhancement comes out, i.e. when PracticeMaster was introduced, and now Platinum, you basically have to buy whole new software rather than a nominal upgrade fee--especially when we have been paying the annual maintenance fee on all separate programs. We have no use for PracticeMaster, yet it is necessary to integrate with our Worldox file management software.

Integration features

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Luann, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Richard from Law Office of Richard H. Anton, A Professional Corporation

TABS3 afficionado

Consistent response and use for entry of fees and expenses. Billing fairly simple.

Pros

Integration with Outlook for entries of fees, expenses, calendaring ,etc.

Cons

Somewhat uncomfortable with use for flat fees

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

Cost, ease of use, and inclusion of practice management functions

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

Became disillusioned with Timeslips after years of use. Also TABS includes Practicemaster case management function that Timeslips did not

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied November 2020

Richard, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We appreciate the feedback. If you'd like to reach out with suggestions on how you'd like to see flat fees implemented, we'd be happy to hear your suggestions! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Kandice from Bradley & Riley PC

Great system for our Firm

Tabs3 is simple to use and fits our firm of 25 attorneys perfectly. It allows us to extract data as needed and to customize our reports with their report writer function. The support is top notch and resolves our issues quickly and correctly. We are very happy with the performance of Tabs3.

Pros

The software is easy to use. We can train new attorneys and staff members quickly and get them up and running with ease. The report writer allows us to customize our reports to our needs. The support is very helpful and always resolves our issues.

Cons

Some of the stock reporting doesn't go deep enough for a larger firm. We are on the cusp of the firm size I believe they are targeting. While we do have the report writer, it would be nice to have more of a dashboard setting as an overview to the health of your firm.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied December 2018

Thank you for the review, Kandice! We're glad to see that Tabs3 Software is helping your firm! We greatly appreciate your feedback on reports and have passed it on to our product team. - Emily L., Senior Technical Support Representative

Lynn from Buskey Law Offices

Comprehensive but complex

When I worked for a larger firm, we had a person dedicated to the administration of the Tabs3 software, and my experience then was more favorable. In a small firm with no dedicated administrator, it is more difficult and time consuming to use. It is probably a better product for a larger firm overall.

Pros

Tabs3 includes just about every function a law firm could want in a billing system. It is a very comprehensive system that is very likely to meet all needs of even them most sophisticated law firms. Once the system is set up with clients, it is not overly difficult to enter time and expenses as an attorney. But the set-up process and anything outside of the ordinary time or expense entry can be complicated.

Cons

I think overall Tabs3 is a difficult to use. In a small firm without an expert administrator to set up the clients, bills and retainer accounts, it is overly taxing to manage this software. As previously indicated, entering time once the set-up is done is not difficult and it is very easy and quick to move from field to field, but anything outside the normal input of time causes me wasted time in trying to figure out how to do it. Many years ago I also used Tabs (version?) in another, larger law firm, and we were unable to alter the total bill without the system adjusting every entry on the bill. For example, instead of a courtesy of $100, every entry would be adjusted by a percentage so that the final bill was reduced by $100. This was very frustrating, but I have not had the opportunity to use this function in the most up-to-date version, and it may have been "fixed" by now.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied September 2019

Lynn, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We've been working hard on improving Tabs3 and introducing new features to make it easier to use. I hope you check out our newest version when it comes out later this year! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Dan from Rockhold Law, PLLC

The best software suite for Law Firms

With all of their products integrated, as well as integration with third party products, it has reduced errors by reducing the number of points of data entry, particularly when one otherwise would have to enter data into multiple points. Not only does it save staff time, but it saves the lawyers time as well because there are less places to verify correct data entry.

Pros

The best part of this software is how in depth you can go to customize it, particularly PracticeMaster (the law practice management piece of software). However, what is really the icing on the cake is that you can keep it as simple as you want, making it easy to begin using on Day 1.

Cons

The deeper you go into customization, the more difficult it gets to 'program' it, so to speak. That said, they have knowledge base articles for nearly everything it seems, all of which do a good job walking you through what you want to do. And when that doesn't work, customer support has always been extremely helpful, prompt, and easy to work with.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Dan, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Don from Business Assistants, Inc.

Use It, Love It, Recommend It

I keep everything about my business in Tabs3, PracticeMaster and the Tabs3 Financials. When I am out of the office I get to my data with Tabs3 Connect.

Pros

It is feature rich (can do everything I ask it to do) and is easy to use.

Cons

Very little not to like. Even the price is surprisingly OK. They don't want to be the most expensive - just the best.

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

Strongest overall integrated package - Billing and payments, practice management, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and General Ledger. The mobile app is very, very good.

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

Feature rich (Work Flows are incredible, as is the ease in making the screens reflect my business needs) - Easy to use (the customizable user interface is sweet)! The Document Management feature (both document production and saving/storage/retrieving) is powerful. Ability to bring existing documents into the system.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied August 2019

Don, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. - Emily L., Software Trainer

George from Hand & Sullivan, LLC

Review of Tabs3 Suite

We recommend using all of the products, including trust accounting, check writing, TABS and Practicemaster. They link together, so information only has to be entered once. The reports that can be run keep you on top of all your deadlines and cases.

Pros

Stability of the product. Very rarely crashes.

Cons

Difficulty in setting up workflows. Need help to set up reports

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

Much more powerful and has more features.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied September 2019

George, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate hearing your feedback. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Tanya from Law Office of Marc S. Stern

Wonderful Billing and Practice Management Software

Overall, I would highly recommend Tabs3 billing and PracticeMaster to streamline management of your client information and billing.

Pros

I have used Tabs3 billing software for years and absolutely love it! It is easy to learn and makes billing almost effortless. It offers so many features that allow you to customize statements according to client needs. We also use PracticeMaster and it is remarkable software as well. It makes it easy to consolidate all client information in one place that is accessible to everyone in the firm.

Cons

What I like least about Tabs3 is the initial statement design is somewhat cumbersome. I also do not care for the flat fee billing options; there is not enough flexibility. I cannot think of anything I do not like about PracticeMaster.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied February 2020

Tanya, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We appreciate your feedback. We're working on a lot of new features for Version 2020 and beyond that we think you'll like. Thank you again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Patty from Pendley Baudin & Coffin

Class Action Law Firm

I really like the software because I can pull time and expenses quickly. I had another firm ask how come I can quickly get the information needed out of my system. I recommended this software to them and sent them your information.

Pros

It captures cost and fees in one easy to use program

Cons

The software does not allow the AP system to populate name and address from Tabs3 to issue client settlement checks. Class action firms represent many clients in the same case. When a case settles I have to print client name and address then type the same information into the AP program to issue checks. Being a class action firm we do not bill clients for fees and cost. I need the capability to bill and track cost to individual partners in the firm who then pays for the cost. This billing needs to be on a percentage basis.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Patty, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review, and for recommending us! We appreciate your input, and I'll forward your request for populating client information into APS to our product development team! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Nancy from PC Support, Inc.

Tabs3 Billing, Accounting & Practice Management

I have been using Tabs3 software for 30+ years. As a consultant, I am familiar with many of the other legal software packages, and the one I use for my business is Tabs3. It continues to evolve with the latest technology, and I completely trust the integrity of the software.

Pros

The software is rock-solid. It is comprehensive and integrates all areas of the law practice. The company (STI) is meticulous in producing bug-free software, and they are immediately responsive to all support questions. The user interface is intuitive and the work-flow is easy. The process to email bills has reduced my billing time from 2 days to 1 hour. Too many great features to list them all. I give this software my highest recommendation.

Cons

One minor option I'd like to see is the ability to change WIP transactions for costs as well as for fees.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied October 2019

Nancy, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it, and your years of experience! As always, let us know if there's anything we can do to help! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Tabs is EASY to learn and EASY to use!

AMAZING. I love this software. It's the best account billing software that I've used in the legal field so far. When cost codes are needed for certain accounts they are easy to use and the reports that can be generated are very detailed.

Pros

I love how easy Tabs is to use and just like the name, all you have to do is TAB through the entire invoice. It's very easy to navigate and when you need to make changes it's super easy. The new design layout that was just unveiled is great! There are some new much-needed features that were updated and that makes it even better.

Cons

I don't like the fact that once you create an invoice and save it if you realize you messed up and put it under the wrong account number, you can't just fix it and delete it yourself. You need to contact an administrator with permissions to have it deleted, but I understand that's just a safety precaution and nothing really negative about the software itself. Otherwise, I haven't found any additional negative things about Tabs.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied June 2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your comments very much. If there's anything we can do to help you, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Louise from Spohrer Dodd

The Best

Tab3 Software answers all the needs of our firm. Their support group is top notch and you RARELY wait long for a technician. All of their techs are extremely knowledgeable and take the time to listen to your issue.

Pros

The integration is seamless and the Financial reports are the best; Trust accounting is perfect and will keep your State Bar very happy with the level of detail. Periodic upgrades are continually made available to the users to keep the product current as our industry and needs change. We do not use the document management "Practice Master" as another product was already in use in our office.

Cons

It seems many of the modifications are more driver to the Practice Management integration side. However since all originate within the different modules we are able to use those items that enhance our needs.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Louise, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input and hope you'll be excited by the changes coming in our next version! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Merle from Svehl Law Offices

TABS3 Software

We use all the modules of the TABS3 software. Because all the modules are integrated transaction data passes seamlessly between them eliminating any duplicate entry and ensuring all the firm's data is up to date, accurate and consistent across all business functions. Complete accurate business transaction data in turn allows the firm to make timely and productive business decisions.

Pros

The full integrated functionality. We use all the modules PM, TABS, APS, GLS and TAS. All of the modules work together and there are no interfaces that have have to be maintained or adjusted for with new releases of multiple products.

Cons

It s very feature rich and I am not sure we are using all of its capabilities to their full advantage but operating the business comes first.

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

for support and the fact we wanted a fully integrated system for the business

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Merle, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Dorothy from Dorothy Bartholomew, PLLC

Control Your Business With This Powerful Software

Tabs3 software is very powerful. By the time I learned how to use Tabs 3 at the most basic level, I felt as if I could be an accountant. I am still discovering useful and time saving features.

Pros

I most value the interface between Practice Master Billing and Tabs 3 . A law firm rises or falls on its billing practices. The easy to use timer allows us to easily capture time spent on multiple projects and with multiple clients throughout the work day, which results in more accurate billing.

Cons

The software is not user friendly. The learning curve is very steep.

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

I changed from PeachTree to Practice Master Billing and Tabs 3 because PeachTree did not have a timekeeping feature.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied October 2019

Dorothy, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate it! We'd like to know what we could do to make the software easier for you to use--feel free to contact Technical Support with any suggestions. Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Maria from Dyer Bregman & Ferris, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Couldn't live without it!

We get numbers for profitability reports. Can run reports for daily cash receipts. Overall, we can get billing out quickly and have reports as needed.

Pros

So user friendly! Like that all modules are connected. It saves so much time - enter once and it's linked to other modules/reports. Reports can be set up for our specific needs.

Cons

That if a final statement is undone for corrections you cannot use the same statement number when printed again.

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

Just more user friendly. Over the years we added on PM database. We also have APS and the GLS. I've also used QuickBooks and Quicken. I just like the Tabs program better.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied August 2019

Maria, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. When you have a moment, please call Technical Support--there is a process to be able to reuse a statement number after undoing it, they can give you the instructions to do so! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Julie from Payne Law Office, PLLC

I highly recommend Practice Master and Tabs3

Pros

Practice Master and Tabs3 provide easy to use case management, conflict check, management of client funds and billing, and capture of billable time. I have used it for over 10 years and appreciate the low maintenance, cost, and dependability of this product.

Cons

I began my law practice without a high level of computer/technological skills. Practice Master and Tabs3 has considerably more capabilities than I am able to utilize with my limited tech skills. The tech support necessary for me to learn to utilize the other components costs more than I want to pay.

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

I liked the format, and the cost was the best for my small practice.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Julie, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much! There is a library of training videos out on our website that may be helpful for learning more of the product. - Emily L., Software Trainer

Cynthia from Barkan & Robon, Ltd.

Tab3 Software

The Tabs3 software was already installed at this firm when I started. They had been using it for about 10 years before I started. It was easy to get use to for time and billing features. There were some features that were not being utilized, but I was able to review the system and advise on new aspects that make it easier to read and comprehend.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. It has every aspect you need from entering time to invoicing clients. There are several options for printing reports from simple to extensive. You can customize your invoices so that they are easily read by our clients and our attorneys.

Cons

I don't know of any specific items that I would change. It seems to meet all of our needs at this time.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied November 2020

Cynthia, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We hope you're enjoying all the new-to-you features you've found, as well as the new ones we're adding! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Tracy from Eckland & Blando LLP

TABS3 Time, Billing, Accounting, and Practice Management Software

I have utilized TABS3 and it's corresponding modules in firms I have worked for since 1991. I find the program to be user friendly and robust in the features it offers. Module integration allows for seamless flow throughout the programs. TABS3 customer support is the best I have ever worked with. I can always count on their customer support representatives to assist me with any problem I may encounter. Support representatives will see your problem until it is resolved to your satisfaction. As a company, TABS3 is open to suggestions for changes/additions to its programs. They are very open to user feedback. If you are considering a switch from your time, billing, and accounting software, I highly recommend you review TABS3. I think you will be very happy you did.

Pros

Module integration, ease of use, customer support, and company response to user feedback

Cons

The cost of cloud-based (platinum) service. It would be wonderful if I could work on TABS remotely without having to pay an arm and a leg to do so.

Louis from Law Office of Louis Volpintesta, Jr.

Great Time and Billing Program

Pros

Ease of use. Excellent support. Very Fast database program.

Cons

Nothing to not like about this program. I think that it is a great value.

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

Functionality, cost, and features.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied August 2019

Louis, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your feedback. If you do think of something you'd like to discuss, Support is always here to listen! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Caroline from Atwill, Troxell & Leigh, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

Great Product and value for money!

Pros

User friendly, good prompt support always available.

Cons

Report customization is quite technical, although support are usually available to assist.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied August 2019

Caroline, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your feedback. If you think of a way we can make things easier for you, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Katrina from MCBB

Great software

I have been using it for over 20 years. It is easy to learn and use for new employees. Improvements and updates are helpful and easy to install.

Pros

I use everything except for PracticeMaster. All the components work well together and allow me to manage our firm effectively and efficiently. We use the report writer for customized reports, the trust account manager for managing trust accounts.

Cons

The cost of maintenance and the increased cost to platinum are a little more than what I'd like to pay. We have not moved to platinum for this reason. It might make sense to other firms, but for us, the cost is not worth it.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Katrina, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much. Please don't hesitate to reach out to Technical Support for any questions you have! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Rosan from Endacott Peetz & Timmer

Industry: Law Practice

Working with integrated programs to correct some items in the general ledger/Trust Account

Rep was so helpful in correcting my issues. His patience and knowledge of the GL, Trust Account and TABS3 correct my problem if a very short time. He took the time to explain and show me what we need to do to correct the problem.

Pros

I don't know how you could use the programs without having the maintenance also. I find so much help from the support when I need it most. The wait time is minimal depending on the time of day. The technician makes it easy explaining and if you have problems with the explanation, you have them access Teamview and point you in the right direction without anyone but yourself accessing your database.

Cons

No comparison to what I have used in the past.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied September 2019

Rosan, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. - Emily L., Software Trainer

Jennifer from Bullard & Associates

Tabs3!

I have been using Tabs3 for years in a main billing user function. However, over the past 2 years I have been using it as an Administrator and Billing Specialist. It is super friendly and I love the ease in preparing invoices, applying payments, as well as the all the different details reports available for review.

Pros

It is very easy to use. If you do not understand how to do something or how to fix something done in error, the Knowledge Base is usually very helpful but if you call for help it is always super fast and super helpful!

Cons

I do not like that for some functions, only one person can be using at once such as the Update Statements function.

n/a

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied October 2019

Jennifer, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much. If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Angela from Watts, Donovan & Tilley, P.A.

We've come a long way in two years

The largest problem we have been able to solve using Tabs3 is being able to apply our numerous client billing guidelines against all fee entries as they are being entered by the timekeepers into PracticeMaster.

Pros

I like the seamless integration and the cost.

Cons

The learning curve was much greater than expected. We had a week of onsite training after installation, and it was nowhere near enough. We ultimately had a weekly, sometimes daily, telephone conference with Tabs3 support and after four months of that, we finally had a good grasp on the terminology to be able to function within the program and make it work for us.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Angela, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate all the input we've gotten from you and Shana over the last couple of years. - Emily L., Software Trainer

Gwana from Brick Law Firm

User Friendly

Pros

I have used the Tabs3 software for many years, and as I tell the assistants in the office, there isn't anything you can do in Tabs that I cannot fix! It is very user friendly. The report capabilities are awesome. The data is able to exported from the database and used to run special reports that my firm uses for month end.

Cons

The only issue that I currently have, is that you cannot look up statement numbers, unless you run a full Client Ledger report.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Gwana, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! It is possible to look up statement numbers in the payment entry screen depending on how your statements are numbered between clients, please contact Technical Support for more info. We appreciate your input very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Sandi from Welder Leshin LLP

Working with TABS is Easy

I have been working with TABS 3 for over 10 years including the Accounts Receivable, General Ledger and Trust add on. I haven't used Practice Master yet, but hope to soon. The software is very easy to use and has a lot of flexibility. I rarely need technical support because of the stability of the product but when I do, the support is excellent. I would recommend these products to any small to medium sized law firm.

Pros

The flexibility in billing. Each of our attorneys like their statements a little different, and TABS is able to accommodate everyone.

Cons

I do not like the way Contacts integrates with the Client input. We have multiple matters under the same client each with a different billing person/address and sometimes this poses a problem.

Christina from The Weaver Firm

TWF - Tabs3 Review

Very positive. Support is exceptional and I appreciate the account managers you provide. They are very experienced and patient.

Pros

Cross links between Tabs, Pm and Trust Accounting. Ease of use and understanding.

Cons

There is nothing I can think of at the moment.

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

Attorney had had prior experience with the software while working with another firm

Reasons for Switching to Tabs3

Best option for price and our firm. One option was too expensive and cumbersome (our old firm used it-cannot remember the name); the other option did not suit our needs.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied December 2020

Christina, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such kind words! We appreciate you and your feedback. Have a great day! - Emily L., Software Trainer

No frills, but effective software for billing

Pros

Tabs3 Billing is easy to learn and use. The creation of macros significantly reduces time spent typing and is a useful feature. The capability to review the days, weeks, or months of billing is great for staying on task with billing goals. Tabs3 Billing is a straight forward software for any legal office.

Cons

The visual graphics of Tabs3 Billing are not the greatest unless you appreciate neutral colors. One feature I wish this product had is an auto-save or backup feature. There have been numerous times when my computer has shut down or power has gone out and I've lost any billing I didn't immediately save. This causes frustration and lost time trying to recreate billing.

Lucas from The Rowe Law Firm, LLC

Tabs3 + Practice Master

Pros

The software really helps manage my practice. The functionality is great, customization is great, and customer service is great. Thus, it has the capability of doing nearly everything we desire. The organization is perhaps my favorite feature. That, along with the search function, means that I can find anything I'm looking for: documents, emails, journal entries, phone calls, etc. Further, being able to deal with my timer and work saves a lot of time.

Cons

With a greatly customizable software comes a steep learning curve.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Lucas, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Julie from Legal

Great billing software

This billing software serves our purpose and does everything we need it to do. The customer support is outstanding. Anytime we run into a problem, they are always able to solve it.

Pros

I like the ease of use of Tabs3. It does everything we need it to do. They have great customer support. Anytime I run into a problem, they are always able to solve it.

Cons

There is really nothing I dislike about Tabs3. It does everything we need it to do. I have never used anything else, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied November 2019

Julie, Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! We appreciate your feedback very much. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Chelsea from Sweet Law, PLC

Great Product- ONLY Billing Software Used!

Pros

I have been using this software for the past two years. We use it throughout our entire firm and I have never heard anyone say anything that they would change or add to it. I use it on a daily basis and it meets all of my needs. I am able to edit and review timekeeper time, keep track of our expenses, and generate statements that are completely customizable to how I want them. There are SO many different aspects of Tabs including accounts receivable, generating reports, entering time and expenses, and so much more!

Cons

I wish that I were able to delete multiple fee entries in Tabs. I am only able to do this in Practice Master, which is synched with Tabs.

Bryan from Cooper Cargill Chant, P.A.

Tabs 3 is a great product for small to midsize law firms

Excellent experience. Great overall. No complaints. Great people to work with!

Pros

Intuitive. Easy to learn. Great technical support based in the United States. U.S. based company that is not owned by one of the giant legal industry firms. A network of consultants who are passionate about the product. Well thought out and tested updates.

Cons

Can't think of many. Support becomes mandatory to use the software beginning in 2020, but you'll want to pay for support to get updates and the excellent tech support

Reasons for Choosing Tabs3

Our firm has used TABS 3 and TAS since the mid 1980s. We implemented Practice Master 13 years ago. It is also excellent.

Denise from Brown Goldstein & Levy

Industry: Law Practice

Tabs is very easy to use and mobile app is excellent

I believe Tabs is very good at helping you capture billable time.

Pros

I like that you can run your timer to calculate hours worked and add time into existing transactions. Th e mobile app is very good and lets users have access to the system 24/7

Cons

I don't like that you can't do universal replacements in the description and that you can only run one timer at a time.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied July 2019

Denise, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! I'd encourage you to reach out to Technical Support, they can show you how you can utilize PracticeMaster to do a find and replace in your fee descriptions. That might meet your needs of universal replacements! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Shari from Leach & Sullivan

Great billing program!

We've used Tabs3 for almost 30 years. Great program and it fits our firm. My only suggestion would be as to setting up client numbers for the same client - it wants to automatically put in the address or link all of the files which sometimes just doesn't work for me. Other than that -- I'm a 100% fan!

Pros

The ease of it all -- entering time (which works with Amicus), billing, reports, etc.

Cons

The only thing that I don't love about Tabs3 is the feature under new clients. We have a client and we do a lot of different things for them. Not everything needs to go to the same address and Tabs3 wants to use the same address every time. Kinda a pain in the neck but I've figured out a way around it

Beverly from Richardson Harman Ober

Featurers/Use/User Friendly

I feel that Tabs needs to progress with more user friendly. Non-accounting employees have difficulty. However, I do have an accounting background and would like more features regarding the following: Reports that have easy ability to exclude, categories and or/timekeepers. For example; the choice should all but.... WIP reports need to have an option to not include credit balances. A/R reports should have the option to exclude credit balances. The export to excel should be more like (in appearance) Quickbooks export to excel. Seems really old school. Need more customization. Trust accounting- needs a transfer payment to other account, needs editing like Tabs3 has and more reports cash receipts etc.

Pros

Time entry is great.

Cons

Reports and export of information

Unethical business practices. Maintenance is a not good. Poor treatment of customers.

Pros

It does what it is supposed to do. I use Tabs3 for billing and for keeping track of my client trust account. It has many useful features and reports.

Cons

They had very bad service when it comes to maintenance. The software is not very user-friendly, first of all, so you're likely going to need technical and/or customer support. I've been using it for nearly 10 years, and this is how they treated me: I paid the same price for maintenance for the first three years, and everything was fine. Then they decided it was time to start gouging me. Every year, the price went up. The service I received was exactly the same, but they decided to charge me more and more for it with each passing year. I asked them to please lock me in at a rate, and that I was willing to sign up for a long-term commitment, but they refused, insisting that I pay more with each passing year. Over a 3-year period, the price went up by nearly 100%. Eventually, I terminated my maintenance plan to keep my office costs down. After a year off, I decided to pay for another year of maintenance, hoping to start at a fresh, low rate. But the opposite happened-- they not only quoted me an even higher rate than before, but THEY TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THE PREVIOUS YEAR (the year in which I received no maintenance services) in order to get them to agree to provide me with maintenance again. WOW. Money for nothing. That's not just sleazy, it's unethical.

Teri from Pearson, Simon & Warshaw, LLP

Best Software out there

I have been using this software for over 15 years and I still love it. With every upgrade they have listened and thoughtfully made great upgrades. We are very happy with the software.

Pros

Everything integrates and saves time. Very easy to use and user friendly

Cons

Needs to be able to apply credit card payments to multiple matters.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Replied December 2020

Teri, Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to leave a review! I spent some time looking into it and found that apply payment to multiple matters does work with one of the two payment processors we support. If you're interested in more information, please contact Support! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer