All Adobe Captivate Reviews

Alita

2 - 10 employees

Used free trial

Reviewed April 2021

Great Product, works exactly how it should

Nicolas

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed July 2019

A Reliable Multimedia Tool

PROS

I consider Adobe Captivate to be a re liable took to create multimedia and screen recording tutorial video. With little learning I am able to create very empresive videos . I like the ability that I can combine several existing projects together and easily add images and videos.

CONS

The software is a little pricey and not a part of Adobe Cloud collection but if your are in education the price is affordable.

Non-Profit Organization Management, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Reviewed April 2022

Super Quick for 1st time SCORM Course Authoring

I needed to create a SCORM course under a tight timeline as a beginner, and Captivate did everything I needed, very quickly. I was also reached out to DIRECTLY by a customer service member via email asking if I needed help. I did not need, help, but it was nice to know that the service was available.

PROS

I really liked how easy Captivate was to learn and use in just a few hours. I do video production work, and needed to take a 3-hour long video curriculum, and adapt it into SCORM formatting for a client's educational project. I had never done a SCORM course before, but was able to with ease on the Captivate platform.

CONS

It did crash a few times when overloaded with large video files, however was rebooted and back up and working quickly. I also just wish it was included in my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. However, the price point was still great.

Reason for choosing Adobe Captivate

Adobe has the best price, and as an Adobe Creative Cloud user for video production, I already trusted the company and knew they would provide the service and quality I needed.

Calum

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed November 2019

Great for basic eLearning - but not the best

It's good. I spent around 2 years using Captivate as my only tool for eLearning development. I now use Articulate Storyline 360 as my main tool, but have dipped back in to Captivate for features such as the screen recording

PROS

Having come into the eLearning world as a Flash developer, it was so easy to use. If you have nay background in Flash, or any basic programming knowledge, it is highly transferable to the way that Adobe have built captivate. Screen recording feature that captures mouse clicks etc.

CONS

It's just too complicated. Steep learning curve which was difficult for me when trying to train new employees how to use Captivate to develop eLearning. Impossible to train SME's to use for storyboarding etc in a way that has any return on the time that would need to be spent training them (in fairness, they do have the storyboard add on for this function). In comparison to an alternative such as Articulate Storyline 360 - it is overly complicated. Responsive content development is a real pain. I understand the methodology here, using a CSS style layout to develop content that can run on any display - but I tripled my hours to make this work on a freelance project which causes the client to walk away. In the real world, using a scalable player is a better solution, which it can do, but given the fact that Adobe promote the "responsive" design so heavily as one of their key features - I personally wouldn't waste my time on it again. I don't believe the world need truly "responsive" eLearning.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Captivate

Need for rapid development of eLearning

Souleymane

Mining & Metals, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed September 2023

The software for content creation and training simulation.

Adobe Captivate is the software that has helped me as an assistant trainer in my training and learning activities.

PROS

One of the features that I like is the recording of demonstrations. You can record screen demonstrations to show learners how to perform certain tasks.

CONS

The feature that I like the least is the limited range of interactivity options. I feel that they could have added more functionality to provide greater diversity in interactive elements.

Mercury

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed February 2019

The Most Practical LMS

More overall experience of Adobe Captivate was great considering all that it offered including the price. This is an LMS with a company that is constantly updating to meet a scalable population.

PROS

This LMS is one that you can open up and start using immediately.

CONS

I would've liked the ability of more social collaboration.

Reviewed December 2023

Not very easy to use

PROS

The functionality allows for a variety of courses to be created.

CONS

Captivate is simply not intuitive or easy to use. Compared to other authoring tools for e-learning, Captivate is one of the most difficult softwares to use. Additionally, the support for the tools are just not there. If you reach out to support, expect to wait for a long time.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Captivate

Already switched back. Thought it might provide better options. It didn't.

Jeffrey

Biotechnology, 10,000+ employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed August 2019

Beautiful design software

For English/Art History projects in an academic setting.

PROS

I used captivate to create my projects for English class. Eventually, I was able to create a booklet with great detail inspired from some of their beautiful template designs. I think this is a great software to use for advanced graphic designers or folks who really want to include breadth instead of simplicity for their artwork.

CONS

Sometimes dragging out template sizes can be a bit annoying. Also found it hard to juggle between different layers.

Sahr

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2023

Sahr B Komba Graphic & Dsigned

PROS

to designed all types of work in my business

CONS

to designed more in my business for my customers

graphic & designed

Doug

Telecommunications, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Great software for making demo videos!

I was looking at other software and Adobe just checks all the boxes. Minor annoyances but a great piece of software and it just works.

PROS

I love how easy it is to capture video/audio for user demo videos. Videos are easy to export and upload to Youtube. It just works. I use Adobe Premiere Rush for the actual output videos. I haven't tried all the other features but I'm sure I'll get around to it.

CONS

Minor gripes. I wish I could save my settings so when I screw up my recording I can start over quickly. I'm always having to stop it and restart and select all the settings again.

Graphic Design, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2019

I was captivated!

I was very happy to find a Mac-based alternative to Articulate Studio and it is working very well for my needs.

PROS

I liked that this was a Mac OS product.

CONS

No way to import Keynote slides with effects and transitions.

Michelle

Insurance, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed May 2021

Excellent tool for measuring learners!

This is the current default learning software for our company. It allows us to deploy learning for graded content, KC questions, videos, slides with on screen text to teach a topic, etc. There is always a new trick or tool we can add to our style of learning and there are several tutorial videos to assist with new features. Also, when Flash was no longer supported in browsers, Captivate made it easy to identify parts of the module where a feature might be affected.

PROS

Enjoy the ability to easily duplicate slides, set up multiple master slides for easy formatting content, make small audio edits in a file and preview/play the on screen animations/timing. Also, so many features for reporting and advanced actions to set up specific scenarios based on the desired result.

CONS

Vectors were a nice touch to easily add to slides. However, the vector images "flash" often when published and are very difficult to locate based on their current naming convention. Also, I would like the option to easily change a slide from a Knowledge Check question to/from a Graded Quiz question.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Captivate

Happened before I joined the team.

Felix Manuel

Mining & Metals, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2019

Adobe Captivate saves time and money for you and your company

Since 2012 I'm using Captivate for make all the documentation and instruction manual for many software or website I've developed or I collaborated with, saving me and the companies a lot of time and troubles. This is very recommended for freelance developers and companies as well (companies of any kind that have employees using any software).

PROS

This software save you a lot of time on making your software documentation and/or how to teach the final user to use the software or website they need to do their work. Remember, “A picture is worth a thousand words”, and I think a video is worth a thousand pictures. This is special useful on companies that have many employees, or with employees distributed for all the country/world. Companies that needs to take working the new employees as soon as possible, with a minimum loss of time on teaching him/her the new employee on how to use the software needed for their job.

CONS

In my special case, I need to complement this software with one video-editing software, for take more advantage and do more things that final user of my software/web very appreciate. However, Captivate works just fine by itself.

Public Safety, 201-500 employees

Reviewed June 2019

PDF READER FOR DUMMIES

I use this program on a regular basis in order to sign documents that need to be electronically transferred. It saves time and saves paper to where you do not have to go printing stuff off. It can be easy to use for the most part. This program is very simple and usually comes on most PC computers. I use it a lot to read PDF files as well.

PROS

This program is very easy to use and is very common so if you don't even know how to do something on it you can usually Google it and figure it out. You can use it to read over and view stuff as well - the stuff that websites put in for additional documents.

CONS

Sometimes the program will freeze up which can get really annoying and sometimes the fields that you are trying to write your documents on won't work.

Sameer

E-Learning, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed September 2019

Best tool for simulation and VR modules

Captivate is the best for simulation as compared to any other tool in the market. It the only tool which having 360 interactive output and can implement lots of things which will be in another tool in future.

PROS

There is no match for this tool for simulation of any website of the software. Now it's including a fluid box for responsive design and it works really well on different sized devices. We used to develop content for pure HTML 5 output and it output file works without any flash support.

CONS

Sometimes it becomes stuck when we try to insert assets from the library even if the RAM is 8GB. Other than that it is the best tool available in the market place.

1,001-5,000 employees

Used less than 12 months

Reviewed April 2020

Incredible E-Learning tool!

Overall, I loved receiving the training created in Adobe Captivate. It is a great web-based training tool.

PROS

I have received training that has been created with Adobe Captivate and I can say it was great. It helped us stay focused and engaged with the whole learning experience. I couldn't believe this training was created locally and it was so successful that the training was launched globally.

CONS

After received training, I requested to receive training for the creation of training material for my team. This is not your average tool, you need a lot of time to learn how to create engaging interactions. I wish there was an easier version for faster creation of the material.

Banking, 51-200 employees

Reviewed December 2019

ELearning Design at it’s best!

Adobe Captivate has the power to help you create riveting eLearning experiences. It’s not as expensive as the competition, so you also get more bang for your buck.

PROS

This software can do just about anything that you would like for your eLearning courses. It’s easy to create interactive software demos, video role-plays, and detailed quizzes. If you have Adobe Captivate Prime, you can upload directly into the LMS. But even if you use another LMS, it’s easy to create a SCORM file and import it in.

CONS

It’s not the most intuitive product. You can do just about anything you would imagine, but it will take some experimentation. However, if you stick with it (or look up a few how-to’s on YoutTube) you’ll be all set!

501-1,000 employees

Reviewed January 2019

Adobe

Overall, a good experience

PROS

I like how many things you can do with it. You can literally edit any document any way you want.

CONS

The only problem I've had with Adobe is that sometimes documents freeze every once in a while.

Michelle