• Pros

• "This software is very easy to use. It is used by thousands of other clients and is the default for many programs. It installs quickly and the interface is easy to use. "

• "This software is a great instructional design tool. Having used it since its inception (RoboDemo) I have seen it evolve a lot over the years. Nothing negative"

• "Works with all programs I have used and perfect for any size business "

• Cons

• "Sometimes it becomes stuck when we try to insert assets from the library even if the RAM is 8GB. Other than that it is the best tool available in the market place."

• "A complicated piece of software means that the learning curve is steep but the reward is that in return it does so much."

• "The software is a little pricey and not a part of Adobe Cloud collection but if your are in education the price is affordable."

Browse Adobe Captivate Reviews

Paul from CaptivateTeacher.com

Adobe Captivate is the Cornerstone of My eLearning Business

I started using Adobe Captivate with version 2. It was okay but obviously there was room for it to improve. At the time of writing this review, Captivate is on version 11 and it has matured into a robust solution. I will continue to use it for all my professional eLearning work for as long as they continue to make it available.

Pros

I have been using Adobe Captivate since the mid-2000s. Each release has brought new and innovative features that allow me to continue to impress my clients. Features like virtual reality and interactive video make Adobe Captivate the industry leader in eLearning Authoring tools

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Captivate

Adobe Captivate's subscription model was a better value than Storyline. Plus the ability to round trip with the Creative Cloud applications made it a clear choice for me.

Catherine from AFAS

Authoring Tool with a Twist

My overall experience so far is positive. We are developing eLearning modules using the interactive tools found in Captivate. So far, the video formatting, audio (speech-to-text) function, and responsive project mode are my biggest positives.

Pros

Adobe's new version of Captivate (2019) is a fantastic authoring tool for the right user. I say that because the user must be competent on various computer applications and willing to spend some extra time learning! I have used many authoring tools, but this one has made me slow down and rethink some of the methods I use for development. It is not easy, but when you learn to set it up correctly, the functionality is amazing! I'm referring mostly to the responsive projects that are scalable for desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. This is a wonderful feature, but takes quite a bit of time to learn.

Cons

The biggest consideration I have found is the amount of time I have had to spend learning the program. Once understood, I have been able to make progress, but this is not a two or three week project...give yourself more time.

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Captivate

Adobe Captivate interfaced well with our other marketing programs that we currently use and we wanted seamless uploading to our LMS.

Incredible E-Learning tool!

Overall, I loved receiving the training created in Adobe Captivate. It is a great web-based training tool.

Pros

I have received training that has been created with Adobe Captivate and I can say it was great. It helped us stay focused and engaged with the whole learning experience. I couldn't believe this training was created locally and it was so successful that the training was launched globally.

Cons

After received training, I requested to receive training for the creation of training material for my team. This is not your average tool, you need a lot of time to learn how to create engaging interactions. I wish there was an easier version for faster creation of the material.

Calum from Craneware

Great for basic eLearning - but not the best

It's good. I spent around 2 years using Captivate as my only tool for eLearning development. I now use Articulate Storyline 360 as my main tool, but have dipped back in to Captivate for features such as the screen recording

Pros

Having come into the eLearning world as a Flash developer, it was so easy to use. If you have nay background in Flash, or any basic programming knowledge, it is highly transferable to the way that Adobe have built captivate. Screen recording feature that captures mouse clicks etc.

Cons

It's just too complicated. Steep learning curve which was difficult for me when trying to train new employees how to use Captivate to develop eLearning. Impossible to train SME's to use for storyboarding etc in a way that has any return on the time that would need to be spent training them (in fairness, they do have the storyboard add on for this function). In comparison to an alternative such as Articulate Storyline 360 - it is overly complicated. Responsive content development is a real pain. I understand the methodology here, using a CSS style layout to develop content that can run on any display - but I tripled my hours to make this work on a freelance project which causes the client to walk away. In the real world, using a scalable player is a better solution, which it can do, but given the fact that Adobe promote the "responsive" design so heavily as one of their key features - I personally wouldn't waste my time on it again. I don't believe the world need truly "responsive" eLearning.

Efficient training tool

Overall love this tool I was able to publish projects quickly

Pros

I was able to create engaging e learning modules quickly. Easy to use from the beginning and many options to publish.

Cons

The learning curve was small and I was able to get going quickly. Sometimes larger files have trouble publishing.

Terrific training tool

Using this I have been able to set up tests and quiz for our training sessions. Its also let me create video presentations which automates some of our new hire training. You have to put in some time and learn it to get the most out of it but once you do that, its very powerful.

Pros

It is very robust and has a ton of features. You can create some really impressive training modules with this. We have been using this for a little while now to train our new hires on policies and process. I really like that once you get the hang of this, you can create very professional looking training material with it. It lets you embed videos, images and docs into your module pretty seamlessly. You can include your branding (which was a big deal for us) and colors. You can even include your Voice over if you want to. Using this I have created Quiz, Presentations and video guides. And they all looked fantastic.

Cons

Like a lot of other Adobe softwares (at least in my experience) it can be a little daunting to get started with. There is a lot you can do with it but you have to invest some time to get the most out of it. I really wish Adobe would figure out how to simplify the usage and work flow for newcomers.

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Captivate

I really liked the trial of Adobe Captivate and decided to move with that. Adobe being a larger brand also influenced our decision since it meant we would probably receive better after sales support.

Niel from Caesars Entertainment

Great addition to Articulate

Pros

I learned Flash while it was still relevant. It helped me understand the layering of the Adobe Product and it's use. It is a great tool to show new users how to use a software and then quiz the participant of he/she is paying attention by asking to replicate the shown process.

Cons

It can be a bit glitchy in the LMS and may allow a user to click past the quiz depending on the authoring software. I had to upload to the LMS in a staging environment and test before deploying the WBT live to users. This took time.

Raphael from soulojista

Industry: Wholesale

Great

Adobe Captivate enabled me to create presentations of ideas for my company. with Captivate I can make that short video showing my summarized and direct projects.

Pros

is a software that is updated annually and has no error in the program, very easy to make presentation projects!

Cons

When multi-state videos are present on a slide, the most recent videos are not played in HTML5 output on devices. Only the first video is played.

Amanda from Anderson Hospital.

Captivate is Great

Easy to use even before I took the Adobe Captivate Specialist course.

Pros

Captivate is very easy to use to develop engaging training modules. Great for software simulations and training.

Cons

Older versions crashed often on my computer, but the new versions appear to be much more stable in my experience.

Chris from Every Angle Inspectors

The name says it

Pros

I recently started using this software and wouldn't have even thought I needed it until I tried it. Great and useful features.

Cons

There should be more how to videos that are easy to find utilizing all the features.

Feature-Rich Design and Development

I've preferred Captivate to Storyline throughout my career. Most orgs seem to lean toward Storyline because the UI is so similar to working in PowerPoint. I definitely prefer the more robust feature set that gets quality, regular updates/enhancements that comes with Captivate.

Pros

The ongoing updates and upgrades continue to make this software easier to use for those new to it, and also expedites building many of the interactions. Really enjoy the Assets feature as well when looking to switch things up a little - really helps with inspiration and new ideas. The online community is also really great with supporting each other and lending new ideas. The different preview options that are built in are fantastic and load so much faster than Storyline.

Cons

There are still a lot of work-arounds needed for some interaction types to meet digital accessibility needs, but that's to be expected with almost any software. When capturing video, you cannot capture device audio.

CHRISTY from Millennium Trust Company

Good for developing elearning

I'm happy with this software. It allows me to easily import PowerPoint slides, develop elearning courses from scratch, and record audio. I have continued to use it over competing applications because it's so easy to use.

Pros

Captivate is pretty easy to learn. I pretty much taught myself how to use it and don't have any big issues with it. I like that it publishes directly into Adobe Captivate Prime (our LMS). There are quite a few nice features that get added with each upgrade.

Cons

Sometimes the software crashes. I have to work with big files on my desktop rather than on my network drive. I had some files become corrupt from the application freezing. It would be nice if Adobe gave free upgrades rather than charging to upgrade every couple years. I would also like to have more pre-built templates for gaming. Most of the options available aren't ideal.

Felix Manuel from Grupo Perazzo

Industry: Mining & Metals

Adobe Captivate saves time and money for you and your company

Since 2012 I'm using Captivate for make all the documentation and instruction manual for many software or website I've developed or I collaborated with, saving me and the companies a lot of time and troubles. This is very recommended for freelance developers and companies as well (companies of any kind that have employees using any software).

Pros

This software save you a lot of time on making your software documentation and/or how to teach the final user to use the software or website they need to do their work. Remember, “A picture is worth a thousand words”, and I think a video is worth a thousand pictures. This is special useful on companies that have many employees, or with employees distributed for all the country/world. Companies that needs to take working the new employees as soon as possible, with a minimum loss of time on teaching him/her the new employee on how to use the software needed for their job.

Cons

In my special case, I need to complement this software with one video-editing software, for take more advantage and do more things that final user of my software/web very appreciate. However, Captivate works just fine by itself.

Nichole from Stevens-Henager College

Captivate your Learners with Captivate

There is a reason that Adobe Captivate is a leading, if not the leading, software for designing SCORM compliant software. It's been incredibly easy to use, the outcome is professional looking, and intuitive for both the designer as well as the user. I would recommend this for an educational institution or corporation looking to engage their employees in personal development. This is a great forum to disseminate information, policies, etc.

Pros

I love Captivate! It's so easy to use and the outcome is extremely professional! Not only do they have a plethora of options to vary the presentation and assessment tools to employ different learning modalities for students, but educators and trainers can easily design courses without a ton of experience. The products are also easy for learners (students, corporate employees, really anyone interested in gaining knowledge) to navigate, complete courses, and assess their progress. Captivate is also SCORM compliant which is typically a standard requirement for learning objects within educational institutions.

Cons

The price point can be a little shocking unless you're in education. Educational prices are around $399, normal pricing is 3 times that amount. However, despite the steep price point, all of the features, benefits and support are well worth it!

Sarah from wcso

Industry: Public Safety

PDF READER FOR DUMMIES

I use this program on a regular basis in order to sign documents that need to be electronically transferred. It saves time and saves paper to where you do not have to go printing stuff off. It can be easy to use for the most part. This program is very simple and usually comes on most PC computers. I use it a lot to read PDF files as well.

Pros

This program is very easy to use and is very common so if you don't even know how to do something on it you can usually Google it and figure it out. You can use it to read over and view stuff as well - the stuff that websites put in for additional documents.

Cons

Sometimes the program will freeze up which can get really annoying and sometimes the fields that you are trying to write your documents on won't work.

Alisa from Wenco

Almost non-existent customer support

Pros

It contains all the functions that we need.

Cons

Customer support is non-existent. The automatic bot will chat with you for a bit then maybe a CS person will send you a link to their help page. If you need more help, they will schedule a call with you and never show up. Customer Service outsourced to India.

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Captivate

Annoying selling strategy in Bridge.

Sameer from WNS

Best tool for simulation and VR modules

Captivate is the best for simulation as compared to any other tool in the market. It the only tool which having 360 interactive output and can implement lots of things which will be in another tool in future.

Pros

There is no match for this tool for simulation of any website of the software. Now it's including a fluid box for responsive design and it works really well on different sized devices. We used to develop content for pure HTML 5 output and it output file works without any flash support.

Zacchaeus from The Virginia Aquarium

Adobe Captivate - E-Learning Software

We use it to identify certain species of animals for the guests to our facility. They utilize the program through touch screen displays. I am very please with it's usability straight out of the box. I was able to seamlessly edit and manipulate slides and information.

Pros

I like how intuitive the user interface is. I was able to easily navigate through options and controls. There is a already a large library of assets to implement into projects. I was able to jump right in, make a template and move slides around at whim with minimal difficulty.

Cons

I didn't like that I could not get a subscription for it for more than 12 months. Otherwise, personally, I was impressed with the product. My supervisor tried to use this software and he had trouble with the PhoneGap and GitHub part of the rendering process. So for people less familiar with how mobile applications are created, there may be a steep learning curve.

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Captivate

I am very familiar with the adobe line of products and this enabled me to combine some of the best elements of those products without having to use different software.

Jordanne from Children's Literacy Initiative

Exciting Product but not quite as intuitive as you would want

Pros

I love all of the features of this software. You really can do a lot with it such as create responsive learning modules, VR modules, and knowledge check videos among other things. Once you master the authoring aspect I really do think you can make amazing learning modules. I like that you can make e-learning modules that really span the entire gauntlet of what online learning can be, from simply uploading powerpoints to be viewed online, to creating incredibly immersive and engaging online modules.

Cons

It's not really as intuitive as Adobe would have you believe. They pitch it as software that you really use "out of the box" as it were, but that is only true if you are trying to do things that are really really simple like a software simulation or an instructional video. However if you are imagining that you can buy this and almost immediately make engaging modules with quizzes and games and quiz videos, I think you will be disappointed especially since the customer support from adobe is also not the best.

Dave from Littelfuse

Create online training content that's great with Adobe Captivate

I used Adobe Captivate to create and product online training courses for our company's online university. The software was detailed with a number of features, but something I was able to teach myself...very helpful considering I did not have an IT or software writing background.

Pros

After a normal learning curve, it's relatively easy to use to create content. I used it to create online training courses for a learning management system, and it really made our otherwise serviceable (but not too exciting) PowerPoint slides truly come to life! The software is powerful with what seems to be unlimited options for creativity.

Cons

As with probably any software worth anything, there's a bit of a learning curve to learn some of the tips and tricks for effective use. Where to find the various features is not always super-intuitive, but it's something I was able to work through.

Easy to Use, Cost to Unlock Features

Overall, I am satisfied with the software. The ease of use is outstanding even for the not so computer savvy person.

Pros

Cons

The biggest downfall of this software is that it cannot be edited without purchasing. Being a program that is so widely used, the editing features should be free of charge.

Rachel from Athena Software

Long time user

Captivate is a great tool. From a layout perspective it simply wasn't as intuitive as Storyline. However it's been a few years since I've used it last so perhaps this has improved.

Pros

Cons

Nothing negative. Simply I switched over to Storyline and found it way easier to use for advanced eLearning development.

Michael from Widget Financial

ELearning Design at it’s best!

Adobe Captivate has the power to help you create riveting eLearning experiences. It’s not as expensive as the competition, so you also get more bang for your buck.

Pros

This software can do just about anything that you would like for your eLearning courses. It’s easy to create interactive software demos, video role-plays, and detailed quizzes. If you have Adobe Captivate Prime, you can upload directly into the LMS. But even if you use another LMS, it’s easy to create a SCORM file and import it in.

Cons

It’s not the most intuitive product. You can do just about anything you would imagine, but it will take some experimentation. However, if you stick with it (or look up a few how-to’s on YoutTube) you’ll be all set!

Rachel from Carex Consulting Group

Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Great Adobe product

Pros

Easy to use, Adobe is consistent in their buttons and features - so if you know how to use an adobe product, you'll at least be able to navigate this.

Cons

Adobe can also have a learning curve, which can make it difficult for newbies.

Adobe

Overall, a good experience

Pros

I like how many things you can do with it. You can literally edit any document any way you want.

Cons

The only problem I've had with Adobe is that sometimes documents freeze every once in a while.

Michelle from Belfay

Perfect for any size business

Used over and over again, never had any issues

Pros

Works with all programs I have used and perfect for any size business

Cons

The cost gets a little pricey when you have a fairly large company

vanessa from Consumer Services

Adobe

Pros

I love how I can use this software and make changes to document or reports with Ease.

Cons

I do not think I have any cons with this program.

Grant from V360R

Good for making E-Learning material, but a little dated

I use Adobe Captivate to make training material on our 360 publishing system. I've used it for many years, so have some good experience using it. The online export facilities have got better over time, and have helped me move away from having to distribute large video files.

Pros

I like that I can use Adobe Captivate to quite easily make E-Learning materials, that I can export to be viewed online.

Cons

I would like to see more progress on development of Adobe Captivate, as it is a little dated and could do with some more features.

Rebecca from Birkman

Huge learning curve, but lots of functionality

It really was not a business option for us since we needed interactive e-learning right away, and the learning curve prevented us from being able to use this software. I have not tried Adobe Captivate Prime but I am curious to know if they have fixed this problem with that software!

Pros

This tool does a LOT of things related to learning - it can produce interactivity, animation, skip logic, videos, and SCORM/TinCan integration. You can create a lot of wonderful things in this software and implement it across your organization and track user learning in-depth.

Cons

It is a bear to learn. With Storyline, you can pick it up in minutes and create something that looks good and achieves a goal right away. With Captivate, you need to break out the training videos, start small, and prepare to move slowly through the process of learning this software.

Nicolas from Arizona Western College

A Reliable Multimedia Tool

Pros

I consider Adobe Captivate to be a re liable took to create multimedia and screen recording tutorial video. With little learning I am able to create very empresive videos . I like the ability that I can combine several existing projects together and easily add images and videos.

Stephen from Nike

Industry: Sporting Goods

Great for Online Learning

Pros

I love the ability to program logic and quizzes into the projects. I use it for online training at work and it's very responsive and robust.

Cons

Like most Adobe programs, it's a resource hog. It takes it a while to load, and operating on a small screen can make it really laggy. But as long as you're on a large screen and a fast wifi connection, it's wonderful.

Cyndi from GEICO

E-Learning Developers dream!

When I want to create a more interactive E-Learning course, I turn to Captivate over other similar software like Lectora.

Pros

Captivate's features go above and beyond other software out there for E-Learning development. In today's world, most people we come across seem to adapt better to hands on learning. Captivate allows you to create interactive and intuitive learning.

Cons

I have not found anything that I really don't like about the software. Creating some of the interactive experiences can be tedious at times, but that's to be expected with similar software of its kind.

Eric from cerity

Easy to use!

Pros

I liked the fact it was easy to use. If i had any problems i could find a video to show me how to do it.

Cons

There are some features that did not work the way you would like.

Great Authoring tool for system simulation training

Adobe Captivate helped me created a simulated training environment that helped new started to the business get familiar with the system before being signed of to enter the live environment.

Pros

I really enjoyed this tool when creating customized in house systems simulation training.

Cons

I experienced a few issues around HTML compatible interactions but nothing major.

Pdf reader

Pros

This has been of a great help to me in reading and editing out pdf documents.

Cons

It doesnt really have any drawbacks. I an satisfied using this software.

Amardeep Singh from AIEDX

Powerful tool to create engaging and immersive content

Captivate is an effective tool for organizations and individual who want to create and deliver content to multiple channels such as mixed reality, mobile using advance features like gesture recognition. Not ideal choice for authors who want to create content fast and easy.

Pros

Captivate allows authors to create complex content. Features like geo location, mobile gesture recognition, virtual reality, responsive content creation using fluid boxes help in creation of immersive content. I like that tool gives enough power to authors to control learning outcome using custom logic and allows authors to view content as consumers of content would see it.

Cons

Tool is not easy to use, and new authors need to invest time to effectively use Captivate. Content creation process has a legacy feel to it and lacks seamless and effortless interfaces provided by some cloud-based tools.

Mercury from University of Tampa

The Most Practical LMS

More overall experience of Adobe Captivate was great considering all that it offered including the price. This is an LMS with a company that is constantly updating to meet a scalable population.

Pros

This LMS is one that you can open up and start using immediately.

Cons

I would've liked the ability of more social collaboration.

Jeffrey from Genentech

Industry: Biotechnology

Beautiful design software

For English/Art History projects in an academic setting.

Pros

I used captivate to create my projects for English class. Eventually, I was able to create a booklet with great detail inspired from some of their beautiful template designs. I think this is a great software to use for advanced graphic designers or folks who really want to include breadth instead of simplicity for their artwork.

Cons

Sometimes dragging out template sizes can be a bit annoying. Also found it hard to juggle between different layers.

John from Feral Wolf Design

Industry: Computer Games

It's like Word on Steroids

I actually made an interactive trip planner that combined video, pics,text, as well as voice over narration that everyoNE involved received on their portabe devices, making for an incredibly smooth trip. Was a blessing to know everyone had all the info they needed.

Pros

The user friendly screen by screen instructions and tips make it so easy that as long as you know the presentation you want, you can create it, if not even better than your original goal.

Cons

The monthly fee seems a little steep, if your only an occasional user. I worked on my project for 5 days, after viewing I spent day 6 making tweaks, and once it was finished the program just sat in my pc unused making me wonder how often I would actually use it vs cost. .

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Captivate

I actually stumbled upon it by accident and their advertising video caught my interest.

Use Often

The perfect and most powerful course authoring tool.

Pros

So many features such as responsive design, screen recording and script writing.

Cons

I feel overwhelmed at times to keep up with latest editions.

Ronaldo from Unicamp

Perceptions about Captivate

I use it to develop different materials for online and offline courses.

Pros

It has a variety of features very interesting for the area of courses and training, with the possibility of customization and programming.

Cons

It is very expensive in Brazil. The design power associated with Adobe products does not emerge with the product.

Carlos from Internet

There are excellent features...

Pros

The most that I like and that I consider that is the most important feature is to save projects as HTML5. For example, I use to create real estate courses and save them as SCORM 1.2 (HTML5). With the new announcement that Google will deprecate Flash, I think that I made a great choice buying this software and saving courses as html5 instead of flash.

Cons

Very old interactive flash animations are not compatible, at least the ones that I tried.

Ozgur from Ti Automotive

review

Pros

Easy for self learning. Simple features for creating courses. Availability for uploading audio, video and image files.

Cons

Overall size can be problem if the created content has videos and images which create loading problem web based online trainings.

Natalie from Quest CE

LMS Course Creation

Pros

This software gives a variety of options when creating online learning courses, ranging from interactive courses that engage the user and keep their attention to more traditional courses where the user reads page-by-page. Lots of options to customize courses depending on the company and the function the course will serve.

Cons

Interactivity can sometimes be complicated to add to course material. With practice, it does become easier.

Kerron from Strata Networks

I love the possibilities, it's the learning that takes time.

It has been quite user-friendly, but there is a learning curve. I am not yet trained in Captivate, but once I am it will be key to getting our training program more fully developed.

Pros

What is possible with this product? Pretty much anything! This is what I'm learning with using Captivate. The more I learn the more I can create. This is a great program for my needs in building a training program. It's essential to where we are taking the company.

Cons

It's a little tricky to learn and remember where everything is. I am signed up for the Captivate Specialist program and want to get started. However, I cannot access the learning videos until 4 weeks prior to the learning summit. This for me is almost 4 months away and we want to start building our training program now!

Cool features. Next level of interactions on 360° media.

With the Virtual capabilities, this tool is a game changer for elearning design, making learning fun and interactive.

Pros

The new and enhanced interactive features are done well in Adobe Captivate. Once the 360° images or videos are imported, it allows course creator to add pointers for information, quizzes, audio files or points to navigate through the course. The learning retention is very high when it is interactive and it also helps in demos, walkthroughs and enables action oriented engaged learning.

Cons

Cache can get a bit heavy when using Video resources. Ensure sufficient memory space.

Benjamin from B. Yavitz Consulting

What you expect from Adobe

This can be used in any enterprise environment and can breathe new life into professional development if you have yet to go digital or you have been using a less flexible and robust program. The VR ability is a standout feature if a company can capitalize on this feature. I would recommend give Adobe Captivate a test drive if you are looking a platform to design e-learning.

Pros

-Busting with features all in one place -VR support- this is a growing and untapped area; if you have an interest in VR Education then, you should try Captivate -Easy to learn and use

Cons

There is a learning curve for new users- thought this is to be expected with such a robust program

John from Forward Branding

Industry: Graphic Design

I was captivated!

I was very happy to find a Mac-based alternative to Articulate Studio and it is working very well for my needs.

Pros

I liked that this was a Mac OS product.

Cons

No way to import Keynote slides with effects and transitions.

Tiffani from Tunstall sweet treats

Good Application

Overall Adobe is a good software to use. I have not had many problems more pro than con.

Pros

Adobe is easy to use. Even for a beginner I was able to navigate through the process. I am able to use it properly and make the project look very good.

Cons

One thing I dislike is that if a mistake is made like deleting it is hard to get back. It can be hard to adjust once gone to get back the same as in sizing.

Well suited for creating simulation, walkthrough courses.

A fantastic tool for walkthrough, demos, simulations based elearning design. A must have for companies looking to create interactive elearning courses.

Pros

Adobe captivate has excellent screen capture options especially for simulations, walkthroughs etc.. Keyboard activities, movements of mouse, actions performed on the screen, audio on the system, clicks and interactions etc.. can be captured in the recording frame and made responsive for multi devices.

Cons

It is better to use a good screen capture software so frames in between are not lost. These can be imported into Captivate.