Adobe Captivate

Adobe Captivate Reviews

RATING:

• icon"Mainly what I like about this software is the distribution of controls, since they are simple and intuitive, I can access a wide variety of controls and at the same time maximize my workspace."
  • icon"As a Learning and Development specialist, Adobe Captivate is a very useful tool for creating e-learning content. It took quite a while for me to learn to use it due to the many useful features."
  • icon"Integration with PowerPoint is great. Links with entire Adobe suite."
  • icon"Overall size can be problem if the created content has videos and images which create loading problem web based online trainings."
  • icon"Sometimes dragging out template sizes can be a bit annoying. Also found it hard to juggle between different layers."
  • icon"This software lacks even the basic features that its next closet competitor has. It is difficult to use and still looks clunky when you are done."

Browse all Adobe Captivate Reviews

• Have you used Adobe Captivate and would like to share your experience with others?

Alita

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Time used: Free Trial

Great Product, works exactly how it should

Adobe Captivate is the Cornerstone of My eLearning Business

I started using Adobe Captivate with version 2. It was okay but obviously there was room for it to improve. At the time of writing this review, Captivate is on version 11 and it has matured into a robust solution. I will continue to use it for all my professional eLearning work for as long as they continue to make it available.

Pros

I have been using Adobe Captivate since the mid-2000s. Each release has brought new and innovative features that allow me to continue to impress my clients. Features like virtual reality and interactive video make Adobe Captivate the industry leader in eLearning Authoring tools

Cons

A complicated piece of software means that the learning curve is steep but the reward is that in return it does so much.

Reasons for choosing Adobe Captivate

Adobe Captivate's subscription model was a better value than Storyline. Plus the ability to round trip with the Creative Cloud applications made it a clear choice for me.

Josh

A powerful player in the e-learning arena

While I am just jumping into the platform as my current job requires it over other software platforms, I am impressed. Having used the entire Adobe CC and other e-learning software, this platform is not difficult to transition into.

Pros

Having used many products for developing e-learning, Captivate is among the top-tier development programs but has a high cost to entry. The platform is powerful and has a lot of nuances that allow for digging deep into options for developing truly custom courses and user experiences.

Cons

While you can dig deeply into advanced interactions, data reporting, etc, the learning curve is immense to begin to understand elements such as advanced actions, keywords, etc. Variables become buried and are not as easy to manipulate as in Articulate Storyline, but they are buried for very good reason in that you can actually do more in Captivate than with its rival program with such features. If I am to further nitpick, I am not excited by the filmstrip display for slide storyline. This is a feature I love in Articulate's e-learning in that non-linear branching is highly encouraged whereas the linear filmstrip does little to entice users to develop complex learning opportunities, reinforcing the linear death by slides commonly seen in virtual learning.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Captivate

Occupational requirement. These two programs are used across the e-learning landscape, and the use of one or another is often dependent on the organization. I do prefer the power and ability to fully customize that is within Adobe Captivate, though Articulate Storyline is by far more user-friendly.

Redouane

October 2022

il s’agit d’un excellent logiciel de formation (LMS – Learning Management System) à tester absolumen

ce logiciel conçoit automatiquement un cours pour une grande variété de plates-formes sans que l'utilisateur ait à concevoir des cours distincts pour les mobiles, les tablettes ou les ordinateurs portables et Permet aux utilisateurs de télécharger des cours et du matériel d'apprentissage directement sur YouTube

Pros

Ce logiciel est très simple à installer en ce qui concerne le paramétrage, configuration et la personnalisation et ne nécessite pas un intégrateur et le bon c'est qu'il y'a toujours un support technique disponible en plusieurs langues

Cons

la prise en charge des images GIF sont limités et le coût d'abonnement plus élevé pourrait être une préoccupation ainsi que les effets d'animation par rapport aux autres outils de création

Captivate

Pros

Great tool for eLearning authoring, screen recording and video making. Easy to use and powerful tool to do lots of stuff to build your eLeaning courses

Cons

Nothing I can think of. It is quite an intuitive tool to use.

Lorenzo

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

October 2022

Excelente software para elearning, pero se quedo atrasado

Me encantaba utilizarlos para hacer pequeños tutoriales o clases temáticas para nuestra página web, sigo esperando salga una versión actualizada mejorada.

Pros

Permite añadir elementos interactivos de evaluación de aprendizaje, organizar todo por módulos y exportar el curso en su totalidad para incorporarlo a nuestra página web de forma sencilla

Cons

No cuenta con una versión actualizada, inicio de manera fuerte con herramientas novedosas, pero al parecer han abandonado desde Adobe al proyecto, sin soporte técnico ni una versión estable.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Captivate

Cuenta con más herramientas para realizar un aprendizaje mas interactivo

Michelle

Excellent tool for measuring learners!

This is the current default learning software for our company. It allows us to deploy learning for graded content, KC questions, videos, slides with on screen text to teach a topic, etc. There is always a new trick or tool we can add to our style of learning and there are several tutorial videos to assist with new features. Also, when Flash was no longer supported in browsers, Captivate made it easy to identify parts of the module where a feature might be affected.

Pros

Enjoy the ability to easily duplicate slides, set up multiple master slides for easy formatting content, make small audio edits in a file and preview/play the on screen animations/timing. Also, so many features for reporting and advanced actions to set up specific scenarios based on the desired result.

Cons

Vectors were a nice touch to easily add to slides. However, the vector images "flash" often when published and are very difficult to locate based on their current naming convention. Also, I would like the option to easily change a slide from a Knowledge Check question to/from a Graded Quiz question.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Captivate

Happened before I joined the team.

Omith

Industry: Newspapers

August 2022

Adobe Captivate is E-Learning Solution

I've been using this app for a long time, It works fine with me and I absolutely love it. It helps me save a lot of time. I am very satisfied with using this software.

Pros

The usefulness and versatility of Adobe Captivate are among the most extensive. You may develop everything with it, from conventional card-based eLearning modules to virtual reality training. That's why it's so outstanding. And fantastic image quality for lovely e-learning content.

Cons

When features have issues, Adobe takes a while to repair them. By being more deliberate and prompt in fixing these errors, they may improve their product in this area.

Ezzy

Adobe Captivate - What you'd expect from an Adobe product

I've authored over 300 courses with Adobe Captivate in the last 6 years and overall, I'm very satisfied with the product. For all its faults, it's really forced me outside my box and helped me learn a lot about instructional design.

Pros

Adobe Captivate allows you to author amazing and beautiful coursework if you don't mind spending a little extra time to learn some coding. The product is fairly intuitive and it has a lot of capabilities. It's a very deep and robust product.

Cons

To really get the best out of Captivate, you do need to spend quite a lot of time learning about creating variables, some beginner coding, and occasionally some javascript. You can make the program do whatever you want, but it takes a lot of patience and, sometimes, some wonky workarounds.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Captivate

Lectora at the time was very formal and not very flexible at all.

Catherine

Authoring Tool with a Twist

My overall experience so far is positive. We are developing eLearning modules using the interactive tools found in Captivate. So far, the video formatting, audio (speech-to-text) function, and responsive project mode are my biggest positives.

Pros

Adobe's new version of Captivate (2019) is a fantastic authoring tool for the right user. I say that because the user must be competent on various computer applications and willing to spend some extra time learning! I have used many authoring tools, but this one has made me slow down and rethink some of the methods I use for development. It is not easy, but when you learn to set it up correctly, the functionality is amazing! I'm referring mostly to the responsive projects that are scalable for desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. This is a wonderful feature, but takes quite a bit of time to learn.

Cons

The biggest consideration I have found is the amount of time I have had to spend learning the program. Once understood, I have been able to make progress, but this is not a two or three week project...give yourself more time.

Reasons for choosing Adobe Captivate

Adobe Captivate interfaced well with our other marketing programs that we currently use and we wanted seamless uploading to our LMS.

Larry

July 2022

Facilitate Development of Training Syllabus

Captivate has taken the hard work out of creating professional learning tools with the ability to create testing without having to program.

Pros

ease of use; HTML5 exposes many options for authoring

Cons

Cost. I don't like the monthly subscription service.

Reasons for switching to Adobe Captivate

PowerPoint is good for simple slide shows. Captivate is an industry standard for learning and is fully customizable.

Melisa

September 2022

Personalized Training and Education

We are customizing our training so we are using only our own courseware compared to contracting it out to another entity.

Pros

I love the ease of quickly creating quizes, tutorial videos and presentations.

Cons

There is a little bit of curve to learn how to create and manage the interactions but Adobe provides free tutorials and examples to help guide you through.

Reasons for choosing Adobe Captivate

Worked with Adobe products for almost 20 years.

Gaurav

November 2022

Still very strong despite Camtasia giving hard competition

Pros

Easy to use tool as compared to Camtasia - very intuitive and with some more features. You can edit videos, produce videos (software tutorials, marketing videos, sizzle reels, etc.) and also create interactive eLearning content by adding interactivities and quizzes within!

Cons

Not as many features and functionalities to edit videos and sound like Camtasia.

Timothy

Review Adobe Captivate

Charm may be an extraordinary apparatus for making substance from scratch intended for utilizing in a responsive plan. This is often one of my go-to apparatuses when this specific situation exists. Captivate's responsive plan alternative and the wide extend of devices make the application an amazing option for a portable plan. In spite of having a PowerPoint moment and change alternative, Charm is not the instrument to utilize when beginning with substance made in PowerPoint. Slides are imported as a single picture, evacuating activitys, and any capacity to alter the substance.

Pros

reasonable with more highlights than competitors and simple to utilize as well with capable highlights. Adobe Charm may be a full-featured writing apparatus, advertising clients a wide extend of intelligently and instructive instruments. Adobe Master applications exceed expectations by providing you most of the alternatives merely need and more than you need. Captivate offers live creating in a responsive plan. This includes is basic as we see to create more substance for utilizing over portable devices. Captivate coordinating consistently with the other Adobe Inventive Suite devices that we utilize. We combine PhotoShop, Gymnastic performer, and Fascinate to form a few astounding learning instruments.

Cons

Adobe battles in its client back. Learned Fascinate back specialists to educate and troubleshoot would hoist this capable tool. As versatile learning ventures absent from Streak, creating entirely in HTML5 could be a getting to be a must. Fascinate has an HTML5 examiner to audit your extend for potential flash-based issues, but advancement in HTML5 as it were isn't as natural. I squander profitable time and exertion making alterations after the truth.

Feature-Rich Design and Development

I've preferred Captivate to Storyline throughout my career. Most orgs seem to lean toward Storyline because the UI is so similar to working in PowerPoint. I definitely prefer the more robust feature set that gets quality, regular updates/enhancements that comes with Captivate.

Pros

The ongoing updates and upgrades continue to make this software easier to use for those new to it, and also expedites building many of the interactions. Really enjoy the Assets feature as well when looking to switch things up a little - really helps with inspiration and new ideas. The online community is also really great with supporting each other and lending new ideas. The different preview options that are built in are fantastic and load so much faster than Storyline.

Cons

There are still a lot of work-arounds needed for some interaction types to meet digital accessibility needs, but that's to be expected with almost any software. When capturing video, you cannot capture device audio.

Cheikh

A formidable force in the e-learning sphere

Adobe Captivate saves me a lot of time with my clients

Pros

While I am new to the platform, I am impressed. My current work demands me to use it over all other operating systems. Having used the entirety of Adobe Creative Cloud and other e-learning products, the switch to this platform is seamless.  Captivate is one of the top-tier development packages, although it has a high entry cost. The platform is robust and rich in nuances, allowing for extensive exploration of alternatives for designing completely customized courses and user interfaces.

Cons

While you may delve extensively into extended interactions, data reporting, and so on, the learning curve for knowing advanced actions, keywords, and so on is enormous. Variables get buried and are not as easy to manipulate as they are in Articulate Replay, but they are buried for a reason: you can really accomplish more with Captivate than you can with its rival application with similar features. To continue nitpicking, I'm not a fan of the filmstrip display used to illustrate the slide tale. This is a feature I admire in Articulate's e-learning since it strongly encourages non-linear branching, while the linear movie clip does little to inspire users to create complex learning opportunities, perpetuating the linear death by slides prevalent in virtual learning.

Terrific training tool

Using this I have been able to set up tests and quiz for our training sessions. Its also let me create video presentations which automates some of our new hire training. You have to put in some time and learn it to get the most out of it but once you do that, its very powerful.

Pros

It is very robust and has a ton of features. You can create some really impressive training modules with this. We have been using this for a little while now to train our new hires on policies and process. I really like that once you get the hang of this, you can create very professional looking training material with it. It lets you embed videos, images and docs into your module pretty seamlessly. You can include your branding (which was a big deal for us) and colors. You can even include your Voice over if you want to. Using this I have created Quiz, Presentations and video guides. And they all looked fantastic.

Cons

Like a lot of other Adobe softwares (at least in my experience) it can be a little daunting to get started with. There is a lot you can do with it but you have to invest some time to get the most out of it. I really wish Adobe would figure out how to simplify the usage and work flow for newcomers.

Reasons for choosing Adobe Captivate

I really liked the trial of Adobe Captivate and decided to move with that. Adobe being a larger brand also influenced our decision since it meant we would probably receive better after sales support.

CHRISTY

Good for developing elearning

I'm happy with this software. It allows me to easily import PowerPoint slides, develop elearning courses from scratch, and record audio. I have continued to use it over competing applications because it's so easy to use.

Pros

Captivate is pretty easy to learn. I pretty much taught myself how to use it and don't have any big issues with it. I like that it publishes directly into Adobe Captivate Prime (our LMS). There are quite a few nice features that get added with each upgrade.

Cons

Sometimes the software crashes. I have to work with big files on my desktop rather than on my network drive. I had some files become corrupt from the application freezing. It would be nice if Adobe gave free upgrades rather than charging to upgrade every couple years. I would also like to have more pre-built templates for gaming. Most of the options available aren't ideal.

Felix Manuel

Industry: Mining & Metals

Adobe Captivate saves time and money for you and your company

Since 2012 I'm using Captivate for make all the documentation and instruction manual for many software or website I've developed or I collaborated with, saving me and the companies a lot of time and troubles. This is very recommended for freelance developers and companies as well (companies of any kind that have employees using any software).

Pros

This software save you a lot of time on making your software documentation and/or how to teach the final user to use the software or website they need to do their work. Remember, “A picture is worth a thousand words”, and I think a video is worth a thousand pictures. This is special useful on companies that have many employees, or with employees distributed for all the country/world. Companies that needs to take working the new employees as soon as possible, with a minimum loss of time on teaching him/her the new employee on how to use the software needed for their job.

Cons

In my special case, I need to complement this software with one video-editing software, for take more advantage and do more things that final user of my software/web very appreciate. However, Captivate works just fine by itself.

Nichole