• Pros

• "Great free alternative for doing live seminars and presentations. Has all the functionalities needed. "

• "I find BigBlueButton very useful for videoconferencing and and webinars. It is easy to setup and launch and the interface is quite friendly. It has all the features I need for a online video meeting."

• "You can record and store the recordings online"

• Cons

• "Unless I am mistaken, I cannot upload more than one file. If I upload toe, the first one gets erased. "

• "I can't really say that i have a con. My experience with using BigBlueButton has been smooth thus far."

• "the recordings changed the orientation of my slide images making all the notes I took on them useless and confusing. "

Browse BigBlueButton Reviews

April from Midwest Institute

Quick and Easy Set Up for Conferences

I would recommend this product to others looking to set up conferences with students.

Pros

This software is great for tutoring sessions with my online students and it can be launched inside of the LMS we are using for our courses.

Cons

The recorded sessions are only available for 14 days.

Eduardo from The Six-Year Kugel High School in Holon, Israel

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

My review of Big Blue Button

It has been quite positive. I have used it regularly during lockdown when it was impossible to teach face to face at school.

Pros

The ease with which I can handle a Synchronous Virtual Classroom meeting: Uploading Files, Sharing my screen and all the other functionalities enable me to carry out this aspect of Distance Teaching without problems.

Cons

Lucy from laureate park elementary

use zoom instead

Pros

It was hard for me to use it as a student I missed 9 of my classes in virtual school using this. When my teacher uses zoom it works perfectly and this works horribly.I keeps signing me out automatically and says meeting has not started when it has like 31 minutes ago. It is horrible and barely lets me enter the meeting and so does it with my other classmates.

Amit from Nactus India Services Pvt Ltd

Reliable meeting and online teaching tool

My overall experience was with bigbluebutton is good only faced issue in greenlight. I would like to have its Android version also. Currently we can use in browser(mozilla or chrome)

Pros

Bigbluebutton is powerful and robust server application which have all sort of features required for online teaching, meeting and collaboration. The step by step guide is yet easy to deploy this application. The presenter, viewer part, integration of audio bridge, screen sharing, file presentation, polls etc are nice features.

Cons

Overall customization of different parts is not so easy and there is very limited resources available for helping in this. Something like greenlight installation is not easy and support on web is almost nowhere about this. The application required higher bandwidth for video audio/ video and screen sharing streams which makes it hefty on resources side. Audio does sometime hiccups usually when multiple people taking at once.

Ethan from Naked Lime

It Worked

It worked well. Teachers were able to get everybody in a session, they could share documents or videos or songs, and they could record sessions. It worked well for us.

Pros

We used this software to have class meetings. I think one of the best features of BigBlueButton was the screen share feature. Teachers could bring documents up seamlessly while talking about a subject. Distance didn't really get in the way, and some cohorts were students from different countries.

Cons

I don't think there was a lot that people didn't like. A pro/con of the software was that it was only accessible through Canvas which were we using. So you could only use it if you were in our Canvas program. But that was good for students and teachers because their video conferencing software was right at their fingertips.

Michael from iQor

Videoconferencing made easy

When I am presenting something to a group of newcomers and I want to stress or emphasize a particular item, BigBlueButton makes it easy.

Pros

My favorite feature of BigBlueButton is the whiteboard feature because I can highlight things I want to emphasize.

Cons

BigBlueButton has a horrible tendency to freeze up and distort video, and sometimes audio, at the most inopportune times. This has cause me to move BBB from my main to my back up conferencing software, only being used when I need one of the features that only it provides.

Babak from SKYPREP

We integrate BigBlueButton within our Platform for our clients

Pros

Platform was easy to setup and integrate with our platform Product is free to use for our end client so many opt to use the service Has many features that makes online webinars and training effective

Cons

Overall the prdouct is very good as a free tool but it would be good to have a web-app on iOS or Android.

Efficient conferencing tool

It is free to host online conference meeting.

Pros

My organization uses BigBlueButton for hosting our meetings. I find it to be very efficient and easy to use. It is a free ad open-source technology so that is a plus.

Libio from MPPVH

Industry: Political Organization

Cathy from Lackawanna College

Constant bugs and difficulties

It's user friendly but most of the time doesn't work right. At one point wouldn't work at all in Chrome, they did fix this in subsequent editions but still has many problems recognizing participants' cameras and microphones. Also just plain doesn't work well with wifi.

Pros

You can record and store the recordings online

Cons

Unending problems with recognizing participants' cameras and microphones.

Chasity` from Love & Light Healing

Ease of Use. Perfect for Virtual Learning

Pros

I love the functionality of the program and being able to have multiple instructors at once. I appreciate the share screen option and also being able to use webcams and microphones interchangeably.

Cons

I really have no complaints with the program.

Laron from eGov Jamaica

Makes videoconferencing easy

Facilitates online video meetings.

Pros

Cons

No con really, as it does its job well. The only I drawback I can mention is that it operates in a space where there are a lot of tools of the same nature.

Very Useful Free Software

Overall it's really helpful. And I can't complain more as it's free to use.

Pros

This software is nice. The best thing I like about BigBlueButton - It has a recording option that allows you to record the meeting and is available for viewing for 7 days.

Cons

I am not sure if it has a Playlist option because I have to upload my presentation file every start of the session so It's kinda waste of time.

Unstable product

I do not recommend it at all, they have to type on it it's a beta project.

Pros

Join from the browser no need to download any app.

Cons

1- you can not host more than 100 participants. 2- If 100 participants or lower, keep typing on chat continuously the meeting will lagging so much. 3- Using node js single thread (disaster) 4- Some IOS users won't hear anything if they join in a listen-only mode. 5- Core developers maybe take more that one year to add/fix a single feature. 6- Delay audio and video on recording if you use screen share (in some cases). 7- Very bad UX. 8- Download mp4 not supported you have to use third party fork. 9- No immediate support only ( google community) be ready to ignore your questions.

Matt from Grace Medical Inc.

Industry: Medical Devices

I had a lot of issues using it

I used this software for presenting to multiple customers at different locations. I always had issues getting everyone able to see me as the presenter while being able to view attached documents and interact with one another. My UI was really clean which I liked, but the overall experience was clunky so we moved to a different software ultimately.

Pros

The client side experience was pretty clean.

Cons

There seemed to be a lot of issue with multiple people and media types on a conference call. 3 viewers, a camera for a presenter, a recording pc, and a separare handout presentation.

Peter from SKYPREP INC

Good free webinar tool for our external clients

Pros

Cons

The interface does look a little outdated. Wish there was more customization options to make it look and feel the way we want.

Kourtney from AIM

Easy to Use

Overall, I will continue to use this software, and am very happy with it so far.

Pros

Bigbluebutton is easy to use when speaking with a class - easy to use the chat feature on the left and you can even record the sessions.

Cons

I couldn't figure out how to start my video for the video chat with my students, but I am sure I can watch a tutorial to figure it out.

Emily from Seattle Colleges

I wish it worked

wish it worked.

Pros

I am teaching a class that had to move to online (COVID-19)- I wanted a way to video conference with my students. since it is already a feature on Canvas- I hoped to use it since then they would not have to download/sign up for new programs and software. it seemed east to use at first.

Ramona

francesca from galileo, ison

Big Blue Button : Communicate with picture and sound

Pros

We use this application for e-learning and teaching at my university. It is easy to use and the quality of video and sound is normally good. You can also use it for conferences.

Cons

Sometimes issues accur and you have to log out and log in again.

Anastasis from NEORIS