• Pros

• "The interface is straightforward and easy to use. I could easily contact my professors and vice-versa. This was especially helpful for older professors who do not like the flashy parts of Canvas."

• "Blackboard is wonderful for students, it is very easy to use and they constantly do updates that help improve the system. "

• "Very useful for delivering content. As a student I used this software. It is tough to be an all in one stop, but BB has improved greatly over the years through trial and error. "

• Cons

• "This software like all software isn’t perfect. The mobile app seems a little sluggish. It works for me all the time so am cool e=with this software and would highly recommend."

• "Slight difficulties in function but easily remedied with following instructions for problem solving. "

• "As a teacher/administrator, BB was bulky and took a while to load new classes. Maintenance was easier, but took forever to establish for the first time."

Browse Blackboard Learn Reviews

Gabriela from Panera

Industry: Food Production

Blackboard LMS for Business Review

My overall experience with Blackboard LMS Business is always amazing! It has helped and improved my grade so much because it lets me know ahead of time when assignments are due, which has helped be more organized as well. I love this software so much and I suggest everyone to use this!

Pros

A feature that I love the most about this software is it allows teachers to upload assignments online to eliminate the use of paper. This software is such an easy to use software and really simple to change any settings for the liking of your choice. What I also love about this is that it is a good platform to take tests and quizzes, which is super amazing because it is not confusing at all. I absolutely love this and it has helped be more organized!

Cons

A feature that I would like to see in the future is the mobile app, it could use a little improvement and it is a bit slow, but the desktop version is amazing so it does not really bother me because I usually check and do everything through my desktop. I still absolutely love this software.

A decent LMS, but there are better ones out there that have less workability issues

I have used both Blackboard and Moodle in the past, and I found them very similar for what they offered. I would have been fine using Blackboard indefinitely had I not found out about Canvas, which is what we are using now and I am absolutely it's biggest fan!

Pros

I used Blackboard for almost 10 years, and it was a decent LMS for my needs. When Blackboard Collaborate came out, it was even better because it added a new layer of possibilities (I could have several webinar/conversations going, merge conversations, and/or present to different groups at one time). However, there were always bugs in the system, even though we updated constantly. The Blackboard app was also very limited.

Cons

Too many bugs and freezes; many of my students had issues with accessing links when they used different internet browsers. Good for a small school or business, but not larger ones.

Reasons for Choosing Blackboard Learn

Statistics for Blackboard showed that it was the most user-friendly for a variety of ages, and we have students of all backgrounds and ages, so it was imperative to find something adaptable. However, I have to say that since finding Canvas as our new LMS, it is MUCH easier for our techno-challenged students.

Kayla from West Texas A&M University

Industry: Biotechnology

BlackBoard as a student

It's super easy to navigate and find all your resources on. It's well organized and I love it.

Pros

I really like using blackboard. It is a lot better than other programs I've had to learn for school. It is super easy to navigate. You can find all your assignments there. There's a calendar to make when assignments are due. My favorite part I think, is the fact that you can email another student through blackboard. So if you are doing a project and you've never met your partner, or don't have their information, you can email them through blackboard.

Cons

There really isn't anything that I don't like about it.

March 2016

John from Seneca College

March 2016

a Long Term User's Honest Experience

Quick background, was in high tech sales and marketing for many years prior to teaching and heavily involved with custom Computer Graphics systems since Time Arts Lumena was around (predecessor to Photoshop). Check out my LinkedIn profile for more details. On to the product review -- I've been using Blackboard for *many* years, and have been teaching (and doing) Web Design and Development since 1993. I'm retiring shortly, so I can be absolutely frank and honest about my experience with this app without fear of upsetting IT folks or admins that I would have to work with in the future. Truthfully, the ONLY reason I use this app is because I have no alternative at the College where I teach and it gives the students easy access to information, but so would any LMS (Learning Management System). The UIX (User Interface Experience) is incredibly archaic and counter-intuitive. It's also painfully slow to use, as it does constant server requests (just paste the URL for a Blackboard connection into http://www.webpagetest.org/ for testing). Sometimes one single click every 15 seconds is all the system will react to when I'm using the grade book, etc. -- in the "real" world, without captive users, no one would ever return to a site with those response times. To be fair to Blackboard, part of that may (or may not) be our schools network or Blackboard interface setup. As far as usability, Blackboard needs to let the User Interface and UIX designers (if they even had any) direct the techs and coders. It's *very* obvious that it's been the reverse, . They should 'steal' some Apple UIX people and give them some *real* power to direct how the app works and what it looks like. I've just finished using Blackboard for 3 hours+ doing things that should have taken 1 hour or less had the interface been optimized and more thought out. For example, under the 'Assignments' and 'Course Documents' sections there is no easy way to reorder or batch select using something basic like check boxes or a multi-select hot keys. Also, any NEW assignment or document post goes to the BOTTOM (the absolute reverse of a Blog post) So I need to drag it back to the top (where it logically should go). However, even that is awkward, since when I drag to the top of the browser the window does not auto-scroll. I have to hold the left mouse button at the same time as I use my middle finger to roll the mouse wheel -- duh!!. There IS a small text window pop-up accessed via an archaic icon to reorder posts, however, that shows only 5 assignment titles at a time (no window resize function to show more than 5). I can reorder them there, but need to do a single mouse click each time it moves up one position, but again, with no way to see more than 5 and no way to multi-select. So, if I have 50 course documents and want to shift 5 new documents to the top (where they belong) that's almost 250 mouse clicks to re-position 5 documents to where they should be in the first place - duh!! In Gradebook it only shows 10 students listed by default. I can change the setting up to 50 but the next time I go back it's back or need to refresh something -- it's back to 10. It doesn't save defaults or give me a choice. This may seem to be nit-picking, but over the period of a 14 week semester that's a lot of wasted time time and clicks. I'm going to end my review here as I have more work to do, but when I saw a 4 star review for this LMS being the solo review I had to balance it out. Bottom line is, the concept is good -- many, many modules/tools in a LMS bundled package but the execution is absolutely awful. Just Google search 'Blackboard sucks' or 'I hate Blackboard' if you want real faculty and user opinions sans any marketing spin. Other telltale signs are when a company start to lose long-term clients. Ryerson University in Toronto just did a switch from Blackboard after "a multi-year consultation process". More on that process is here http://lms.blog.ryerson.ca/ Hopefully that last paragraph doesn't get censored, because that's the source of raw truth.

Pros

1. it's an LMS and something is better than nothing. 2. It's full of examples I can show my students on how not to do UI and UIX 3. Well established company is behind it 4. Modular front-end 5. Many bells and whistles

Cons

1. Counter intuitive, clunky, awkard UI (User Interface) - improve it by hiring UI/UIX experts and giving them actual control over the app interface and functions. 2. Slow (even when on the same network node or high speed cable connection) - needs a code rewrite/optimization. 3. Ancient aesthetics (although some design elements are now "flat design-ish") - hire UI and UIX designers and actually allow them to direct the final interface. 4. Many glitches (I've a folder full of screen-shots, if you want proof) - again a code rewrite needed, or ideally a complete start-over with newer code philosophies and methods.

Christopher from William Rainey Harper College

Undergraduate Learning with Blackboard Learn

My overall experience with Blackboard Learn was optimal as a student in college.

Pros

I found this advantageous when I was in college as an undergraduate. It was great to track my course work and online assignments through this LMS. For its time it was adequate with the UI layout but to modern look and feel of websites and web application software in 2020 it would be outdated unless they revamped the display of everything.

Cons

It was just a bit clunky at times and occasionally a pain in the @$$ but it still got the job done. It might have been that my student user rights weren't fully configured and there was a lack of training from the university for students to use the tool and not on the fault of Blackboard Learn.

Blackboard Learning Review

Overall experience with this software was very positive I use this program for six years give or take in completing my online education and it allowed me to complete all of my assignments collaborate with my classmates and discuss different subjects with my professor

Pros

Very helpful software program and giving the ability to access all of your studies Online and be able to complete all of your assignments that are posted by the professor

Cons

At times the system would have many glitches not allowing you to access your accounts or complete your studies and you would have to call the IT department in order to access your account

Debbie from Kent State University

Helpful for Students

I have been using Blackboard for many years. Once the students became more comfortable, it was much easier to use and I could post more information that is now readily available to them.

Pros

What I like most is the fact I can communicate with all my students at the same time and that we are all on the same page. There is no question since it is right there.

Cons

The background designs need to be updated. We have had the same one for a long time. It also only has a few different education specialties to choose from.

LaQuetta from Kingdom Pioneer Institute, LLC

Blackboard Review

Blackboard is an excellent learning management system. It is intuitive and easy to use. One major pro is the integration of other software. It is a key part of the learning process and experience.

Pros

Cons

Blackboard is an excellent learning management system. There are no cons to the system that I’ve seen to date.

Robert from Bayer

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Used for undergraduate schoolwork

While it got the job done, it could use some updating. I do like this better than Canvas.

Pros

I liked the option on Blackboard to view all of your grades. This would show grades for all classes at the same time rather than going into each individual class to look for grades.

Cons

There were a lot of words - it would benefit from differentiating between the classes somehow rather than just a hyperlink.

Brittany from Automotive

User Friendly

The benefits in using this software has allowed for a better user experience.

Pros

Very easy to navigate for first time users. The interface is updated and clean to use, not like a 1990s system look.

Cons

Blackboard has evolved since I began to use the software. I am happy that it has become more user friendly

Brian from Mercy Health

Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style

Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Pros

I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Cons

The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

Hannah from WSU

Needs some work for organization

Not great. If I were to choose, I would go with canvas, which my university will be switching to in the next four years.

Pros

Probably my favorite thing about this software is how you can link videos, external links, and also professors can create quizzes, assignments, and tests on the platform and select various settings for their individual assignment/assessment. I LOVE taking tests on here because they are straight forward.

Cons

They really need to add a "flag" feature to the tests that are made and administered through the program. There have been many times when I am taking a long multiple-choice test and am not sure of the answer but then remember it 20 questions later, but by that time I can't find the original question that I remembered the answer for. The organization of this information system is, however, trash. Navigating around the site between classes and tabs within each class is annoying and not very intuitive. The way the site is made reminds me of someone trying to make a sign with a lot of diverse information, but everything on the sign is 12pt time new roman font - there's little differentiation between different ideas and concepts.

February 2016

February 2016

Well established platform

I am consulting for two institutions - the one a large higher education institution - 45 000+ Blackboard users - self hosted and the other - smaller business school - 1000+ Blackboard users - hosted. I present training and support to the faculty on how to use the LMS. Although one can discover a lot for yourself using the Blackboard help site, there are a few tips and tricks that make life a lot easier which is not always that intuitive. Problems that we are trying to solve: changing the faculty's teaching philosophy from traditional lecture based teaching to a more active learning environment. Blackboard certainly address that well - as long as you plan your activities properly, you can get excellent feedback for example let the students read or view a video on a specific concept and then let them write a pre-test before they come to the lecture. This will help you to identify where the gaps still exist which you can address then in class. Also using a flipped class room approach - Blackboard can be used to assist you in flipping your class room where you can also monitor and track which of your students engaged beforehand. I have been using WebCT and then Blackboard.

Pros

Everything is in one space - lots of tools - the sky is really the limit. I also like the Best Practice parts of the help site - it helps you to get ideas of how you can use the tools.

Cons

In terms of support from Blackboard, sometimes the person who receives the inquiry do not read properly or English is a second language because we often have to explain again and again before they understand - that is the only frustration I currently have with the support. It is unfortunately a very expensive product since the institutions are not based in the USA and therefore we are subjected to the exchange rate.

Joel Thomas from MHJHS

As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me

Make sure you explore the user guides and options, blackboard can be a powerful tool but some of it's features are less than obvious!

Pros

As a instructor blackboard lets me integrate a lot of different types of media through Kaltura, structure time released content ,vary assessments, and deliver individualized learning opportunities. All of these elements are crucial to my instruction. As a student, I get mobile access and notifications about grades, announcements, and course changes that help me manage my learning.

Cons

While the features are wonderful, they are somewhat convoluted to properly utilize, requiring more steps than I would like, and can sometimes be "hidden" in such ways that I have to refer back to user guides because it's not a very intuitive integration. Therefore, as a student, I find many of my professors do not fully take advantage of the learning management system because they have limited knowledge.

Blackboard LMS

Classrooms disorganized?! Not with Blackboard! This will make classroom administration a breeze, saving your instructors and administrators a lot of time and make your classroom management 1000% more efficient!

Pros

The greatest feature of this product is the ease of use with regards to its navigation. When we started using Blackboard LMS, I literally trained a large portion of our staff on the ins and outs of the software in less than 2 hours. This has made classroom organization the easiest it has been in decade. Our instructors can distribute class materials, assignments, and grades with a few clicks. It is absolutely amazing!

Cons

Installation can be both lengthy and problematic if you are moving from an incompatible LMS. While we were lucky, we still ran into bugs while making our transition. This was frustrating, but was luckily done during the summer, when attendance was at its lowest.

Juliano Carlos from SENAC PR

Great and Powerful LMS - Blackboard.

Pros

The way we can review the documents; The better way to report plans localized to the group. I can gauge what matters more simple and directely. I like all the information, the trend is in one space, graphed automatically and an easy way of collaboration and track deliverables.

Cons

We don't have any major issues using Blackboard. It is a really good service for us!

Makes my Online classes SO Much easier

Overall I love it. It helps me to focus on my school work and know when I have assignments due. It notifies me when new material is uploaded. ANYTHING that makes my life easier is a A++ in my book!

Pros

Blackboard has been AMAZING for organizing my online classes. I take 4 online classes a semester and I would be a mess if I didn't have blackboard reminding me of what needs done and making it super easy. Its very easy to upload my assignments and see whats due when it's due. Everything about it is SUPER easy and organized so I can focus all my energy on my school work.

Cons

I still can't figure out how to export my due dates to my calendar. I'm not sure if you even can, but I can't find any support on it. I don't like how I can't change the names of my courses and Ive had 3 courses that I dont take anymore still showing up and can't get them to disappear.

Kenatu from TPDCo

Hammer To Swat a Fly

Blackboard is a classic case of good product upgrading too much until you lose what made it great. It has a lot of value added features, so much so that you can no longer find the simple things. They should also focus on getting the bugs out of what is really needed and not focus so much on adding more. Keep it simple, stupid KISS. over all a pretty decent LMS but there are better for less.

Pros

Feature Rich - lots of value added functionality Love that there are break out rooms for each session Clickable rubrics - awesome Cons 345/100 characters minimum

Cons

Grading system is too granular. if you use this it makes it too easy for a few bad assignments to tank students grades and gives the instructor more work. What do you have against independent content. I create videos using Camtasia and Movavi, but its often a fight get them placed where I'd like or even to get them to run in the first place.

Krystal from University of San Diego

Gets better every year

Pros

I like that I can add content, links, video's that can be played right from Blackboard. Each year this system gets better and more versatile to use. It also does not require much training to lean how to use it which make it user friendly on both sides. I also like that I can pull it up on my my phone even if the fromat is not always right.

Cons

It can be hard to find certain things and often tabs are hidden withing other tabs. This an also be frustrating to students when trying to locate content. The mobile app does also have some kinks, it does not format well. It is nice to check things like grades but not alot of work can be done from the mobile app.

Richard from Amarillo College

Blackboard Analytics for Learn

Analytics has been a game-changer that is helping our institution create an overall better student experience.

Pros

Blackboard Analytics is an amazingly powerful data platform. Working in conjunction with Pyramid, Analytics lets you view Blackboard data from a "global" institution view, all the way down to a single mouse click, by one student in one course. In this ever increasing data-driven industry, Analytics is a powerful tool to help you make informed decisions based on real time data. Information is presented in easy to navigate dashboards, allowing users to interact with the data. Admins can create specific reports tailored to the institution needs. Customer support and training have been invaluable.

Cons

Going in, it helps if you have a working knowledge of databases. The dashboards are easy enough for the general user, but the report creation is not always intuitive. All that said, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

Abraham from A&N Steel Ltd.

A Gold Standard

Pros

I utilized this software on a user-end point while in college in the mid 2010s. My wife is using it now as a student in the late 2010s. Blackboard Learn opens a doorway into the world of academia like no other platform I have ever experienced. With it, you can enter a virtual learning center with as robust a set of resources as any prestigious university in the country. Blackboard Learn is an essential tool for creating an online environment where students can really learn akin to the classroom. I highly recommend it - both for professionals looking to impart their knowledge to a wider, more varied audience, and for scholars looking to broaden their horizons with academic leaders across all fields.

Cons

Very few cons about this platform except that, akin to Microsoft Excel, a lot of the features seem both difficult to find or too complex to effectively utilize. The user manual will likely be your closest ally with this software.

Phil from University of Otago

This was the only LMS choice offered by my institution. Appreciated what it offered.

Pros

Blackboard makes organizing course content easy with standard options and the ability to add content with ease. Students enjoyed the standardized ability to track lecture notes, videos and access course readings. For me, it managed the basics of course content delivery really well.

Cons

Student management was challenging. I spent many hours working out how to grade material online and how to hide or show results for students. I found the help files not particularly useful for these challenges, and as these were things that I only performed once or twice per year, I tended to forget how to resolve these issues.

Richard from George Washington University

Blackboard - Really clunky!

At our institution Bb Learn instructions sometimes don't match the local implementation.

Pros

What I like most about the software is what is is *supposed* to do: serve as a total course management system.

Cons

Everything about Blackboard is clunky — at least as it is set up in our university. Operations that should be drag and drop require multiple clicks. Nearly every function in Blackboard is present in other generic software and works more efficiently. In addition, Blackboard (as set up in our school) forces templates onto teachers, Redoing the templates into usable form takes lots of clicks. Here are two examples of the most egregious design errors. 1. The Bb gradebook. It vaguely resembles like Excel or Google sheets in how functions. But unlike spreadsheets where one can easily duplicate columns and reassign formulas, the Gradebook requires separate multiple-menu-click operations for every column creation, every grade entry and every grade change. We find little flexibility in creating grading formulas, compared to off-the-shelf spreadsheet programs. And the import-export functions of Bb gradesheets to generic spreadsheets is so clunky that it is unusable. 2. Course duplication. Bb allows the teacher to duplicate a course. Except it doesn't really work. If you try and duplicate the course you taught in the year 2020 for use in 2021, you find that Blackboard will duplicate the general template for all university courses without importing all of the eaacher's innovations.

Christen from Athens State University

Blackboard LMS is perfect for online courses

I love Blackboard. I am a user and an administrator and I haven't found much that Blackboard can't do.

Pros

Blackboard has all the necessary tools to create a great and effective online learning environment. There are so many LTI tools you can integrate into Blackboard to be successful. Also it is user-friendly and you don't have to be a tech genius to manage the tools.

Cons

We have had issues in the past with customer support for Blackboard. There is only so much we have control over and we often have to reach out to support with minimal responses.

Kyle from Computer Software

Love Blackboard - Used as a teacher and a student

Pros

Blackboard is one of the pinnacle learning suites out there. I've had the privilege of being a student and a teacher with BB and have to say that I have never been let down by the amount of plugins that teachers can use and the ease of navigation for students. This tool really does check all of the boxes and makes remote learning a little bit easier.

Cons

As a teacher, there are almost too many ways that you can configure the course room and it can get fairly overwhelming. As a student, I didn't really have any cons!

Michael from Thriveworks

Outperforms the Competition

Blackboard beats the competition - hands down. I've used this software for over 10 years. They constantly improve the software. It's very fluid. Grading is a breeze. As an instructor, I can locate assignments and post grades quick and easy. I can identify students who are struggling and are at risk of not completing the course. Blackboard keeps me in touch with my students. Likewise, it keeps my students in touch with me - and each other. There are so many options for creating assignments, allowing students to view content, or interact with each other. I love using Blackboard Learn.

Pros

Easy to navigate. Simple to use. Effective learning platform

Blackboard

It was a lifesaver for me because I actually needed printed materials in alternate formats anyway, and it was aaccessible with my screen reader, JAWS. I would definitely recommend Blackboard as a means to provide course materials to students.

Pros

Blackboard makes it possible to teach courses fully online. It is also useful for courses that are being taught on-campus, because all the materials can be posted there so instructors don’t have to print multiple copies, and students can access them anytime. Instructors can also have blackboard grade quizzes and tests automatically (except essay questions have to be graded manually) so students can check their answers after submitting their work. Tests and quizzes can also be timed, and if you have students with disabilities who have extended time on tests as an accommodation, you can set them up with the additional time.

Cons

I used Blackboard the whole time I was in graduate school (2 years) for both online and on-campus courses, and I have only positive things to say about it.

John from ERM Education

Takes some training but data features are excellent

Pros

The data features are this program's best features. I can readily and easily determine percentage of completion, proficiency rates, etc., of my team on modules we post here within minutes. It helps the strategic planning process tremendously.

Cons

For users who are not used to e-Learning, navigating through the platform takes time for training and support. It is not as readily user-intuitive as others. Plan for this as you roll out the usage of this software.

Blackboard for Business works great!

Pros

I enjoyed the navigation features that made it easy to use Blackboard LMS. Some new software my company has implemented has been very difficult to navigate and understand, but this was not.

Cons

We experienced some browser issues with Blackboard. Many could not access certain features using Internet Explorer, which we understand now is outdated. Google Chrome seemed to be the best browser to use and has work pretty good ever since.

Andy from GSBA

A Tugboat Amongst Speedboats

The Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) for Business has the pedigree of a well-established education company behind it but, much like its Education-based software, lacks many of the bells and whistles of its competitors. Unlike its competitors, it lacks a modern interface and is largely unintuitive, if not overly complex to use. While it lacks in overall usability, it does has a number of useful tools, as well as a number of third-party extensions developed through strategic partnerships. Another strength is interoperability, making it easy to integrate with CRM management tools such as Salesforce. There are a number of other providers out there, including some that are free, that may meet the needs of those looking for entry level, non-enterprise software. I'd recommend dipping your toes in the water with one of them prior to making an investment in Blackboard to see if they better meet your needs. With a somewhat hefty price tag, it may be better than making the long term investment!

Pros

Interoperability, software extensions, and ability to build and scale coursework.

Cons

The software is somewhat unintuitive, with a cumbersome and clunky interface. The user interface and user experience is in dire need of a facelift.

Amy from University of La Verne

Not a top-notch product

The platform is complex for teachers to use, and is not entirely user friendly for students either.

Pros

my professors can put my grades up on it so I can track them myself without bothering the professors.

Cons

Figuring out what my grade is or was and trying to access the content I have submitted has become more difficult in the last year. If I take a quiz I must take specific steps to see the results so that I can study from it for the test.

Nasira from Chapman University

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Effective learning management system with good tech support

Pros

Announcements, quizzes, compatible with TurnItIn assignments, makes grading simple. Easy to communicate with students and provide information regarding assignments. Posting media is also simple.

Cons

Difficult to administer exams due to inability to block access to Internet during testing. Would also like a feature that allowed a simple way to drop lowest score in a category. Creating quizzes is a bit tedious as well.

Sam from Roseman University of Health Sciences

My school uses this program to upload lecture notes and other class material

Pros

Everything I need for class can be downloaded in as a PDF or as a Microsoft file. Easy for professors to give you the information you need.

Cons

Way too many folders, way too confusing. Its clearly confusing for the professors to figure out where they should upload and store files, because I have the hardest time finding them. Can be difficult to navigate. Needs to be streamlined, at least for what we are using it for.

Myca from United Methodist Communications

Industry: Philanthropy

Great Tool for Learning

With all of the available options on the market today, it's important to test and test again for your use cases!

Pros

I had an opportunity to use Blackboard throughout graduate school and really appreciated the way you could easily collaborate with other students and teachers. The interface is relatively easy to use, and it was friendly for international students, too.

Cons

I suffered through multiple glitches that caused assignments to not be turned in exactly as needed. To this day, not sure if that was user error, poor setup of the system or truly a problem with the software.

Mariya from CSUF

Blackboard Notifications

Pros

Blackboard is convenient when I am searching for my grades or assignments from instructors. Blackboard is easy to use after working learning the system.

Cons

Lately, Blackboard has been sending my phone and email notifications all throughout the day. I will receive the same notifications over and over. I had already spoke to the instructor and they said that this must be a Blackboard Issue.

Mike from Fordham University

Only as good as it's users.

Pros

Blackboard has been the standard in higher education for a long time, which means most people are familiar with its operations. A deep toolkit that allows you to manage every aspect of your academics (in theory). Organization of home page notifications is useful and relatively clean.

Cons

Some tools are hidden within three different sub-menus, making it hard for new users to locate a particular feature. Most importantly, Blackboard is only useful if there is widespread adoption/buy in from all parties. The failure of teachers to more widely utilize Blackboard means, to me, that there are some serious barriers to entry for new users. Lastly, other more UX-focused companies are beginning to offer Blackboard some serious competition.

Useful tool for online learning.

It got the job done, especially after a class was created and populated.

Landon from Urban Cookhouse

Blackboard analytics

I have used Blackboard for over two years and I love everything about it, I really like the reminders for my work.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use blackboard in my everyday life. This software has helped my stay on top of my assignments and work.

Cons

I don't like when blackboard goes under maintenance, because sometimes it can be difficult to get any assignments done or my work done with the website is down.

Jessica from University of South Florida

Blackboard for College

Pros

User friendly, simple, no training required, ease of attaching files, used at several colleges, and most people have experience using the software for their college needs.

Cons

Problems with uploads occasionally, but basically the format could look a little nicer. It doesn't have a lot of flaws, but in comparison, I prefer Canvas to Blackboard for college assignments and coursework.

Jim from University of Toronto

Packed with features, but design can be overwhelming for a beginner

Once I got the hang out the software (which definitely took a while of frustration), the experience has been great and I have been able to customize and set up a wide variety of things on Blackboard.

Pros

The features and customization possibilities are endless - this is what makes this software truly stand out against its competitors.

Cons

The interface may have a steep learning curve, as it can be unfriendly for beginners.

Jacob from Loras College

Blackboard From A Students Perspective

Pros

It is easy to use for students and you can easily figure out what is going on with the class. It is hard to do grad calculations when the professor does not include the weights though.

Cons

There are not too many cons with this product. However, most teachers struggle with the instructor interface. Although I believe this system is much more organized when compared to an eLearn.

Diane from Action Overhead Door

Future of Communication

Pros

I love that the professors and students can stay in communication on one site. Projects and expectations are very clear, all documents needed were available at all times, and this made college more enjoyable feeling so connected to the staff.

Cons

Maybe a better updated app for my phone would've been nice. Also text alerts would have been much appreciated.

Kathleen from Chiropractic Professional Center

Blackboard Education

Pros

Ability to set up a variety of classes. Communication to allow classes to include onsite, or offsite learning. Ability to keep class engaged in a process between meetings or without meeting. Variety of assignments can be accomplished.

Cons

Occasionally becomes overwhelmed with significant traffic. Some options have to be applied creatively.

Teyanna from Samaritan Daytop Village

Industry: Philanthropy

Better than ENGAGE

I prefer this platform any day over what my college currently uses.

Pros

User friendly with a clear homepage. I was easily able to access my grades, assignments, schedules and navigate with ease. Blackboard tech support was very responsive to any issues.

Cons

The only thing that I did not like about Blackboard was the need for a new window when logging into emails or self service.

Cassie from Fca

The only way to learn!

Pros

This product helped me get through my college years unscathed! Everything is right in front of you. It is very organized and helps keep track of all classes, schedules, and reports.

Cons

Blackboard does take some getting used to. It can be a little intimidating at first. I think what it really needs is a mini tutorial for first time users and that would help so much!

Good but can be better

Pros

The number of tools integrated within the Blackboard so that multiple URLs and passwords need to be managed is a breath of fresh air!

Cons

The grade center can give a view by the student. Seeing columns of assessments for a number of students make it somewhat cumbersome as the # of assessments grows. Also, it is difficult to see all the courses that a student is taking.

Katie from Tri County

Industry: Veterinary

Great for students

I love using blackboard and was able to use it at both schools that I attended.

Pros

Cons

They should consolidate the updates to where they do it only once every 2 months of so, that way it doesn't take time that the students could be using the system.

Aspen from Fisher College

The Standard LMS for Higher Education

I have used Blackboard at Fisher College over the last year and have used it periodically at the Citadel over the last 5 years

Pros

Blackboard is the IBM for Learning Management Systems (LMS) in Higher Education. It has most of the features found in other LMS products

Cons

Blackboard lacks some features other LMS products have for copy content between classes

I used Blackboard for half of my college career

Pros

I liked how it was easy to find all of the courses I was in, and I could find where my professors had put extra reading materials about the courses I was in.

Cons

I didn't like when the software would mess up and glitch. That happened quite a few times with my fully online courses and messed with my grades a few times >.<

Lauren from St. Edward's University

Not too bad

I've used both Blackboard and Canvas in an educational environment. While Canvas has obvious strengths with many features available, Blackboard's ease of use has made Blackboard an everlasting tool at our school.

Pros

Cons

While the interface is easy to use, it's a bit outdated. There are not as many features as competitors such as group skyping, etc.