All PhraseExpander Reviews

Michelle

May 2022

pretty cool app for formal papers/documents

Brad

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Awesome support!

Highly, highly recommended. Great software and, even more important, great product support!

Pros

This software has been easy to use since day one. Very intuitive. Also, it has so much more functionality than simply a "phrase expander" that I've become addicted to it. My favorite extra part is starting applications with keyboard shortcuts. It's just great software. But I recently learned about the best part of PhraseExpander. I had an issue with a software update, so I emailed the developer and, within a minute or so, I had a response right back. He was so on top of the issue that I couldn't keep up! I've never experienced that kind of tech support anywhere. BTW, he figured out the issue and sent me an updated version so quick that I never felt for a minute that I was running without the software. I hate writing software reviews because I usually find them fake and insincere, so I guess it says something that I'm actually writing about PhraseExpander. You can trust that not only does the software work well, but if you have a problem, you won't be stranded trying to figure out how to fix it from some blog or website.

Cons

Love it all, not a single issue with this software.

Rob

Best way to save time

The software works very well and support is superb. I cannot imagine not using this anymore and during out classes about entrepreneurship I always mention to the students to consider this.

Pros

This software enables me to quickly fill in information in emails, documents, websites and anywhere where I need to write text. Not only text can be expanded based in certain combinations of character of shortcuts but also customized via forms. Before we copied and pasted text and adjusted it but this was time consuming and mistakes where made. Now the variable pieces of text can be adjusted with a form and this helps me to not forget about each think I need to addapt. Also correction of typing is very useful. Sharing is also very useful. I create form on one laptop and on my other laptopn everything is synced> I can imagine that this is also useful in a company with several employees.

Cons

The basics of the forms are quite easy to implement but sometimes I need some additional time to figure out how to tackle a problem in the forms. Working with the variables can sometimes be complicated because this is not something I do daily. Sometimes that is why I procratinate sometimes making a certain form. However, support is great and fast. And when the form is finally ready it saves a tremendous amount of time.

Reasons for switching to PhraseExpander

PhraseExpander is better and has more functionality.

sukhwinder

Expensive can use only on few machines

Except being expensive and restrictive policy in terms of number of machines it can be installed I think it is very good.

Pros

It is easy to use , it works and make life easier feels like everything is on your fingertips.

Cons

It used to be unlimited now limited to 5 or 6 machines. I think it should be allowed at least on 10 machines. During this pandemic we have home. office actual office and lap tops for comfort you easily run out of number of computers you can install it on. why went from unlimited to very limited.??

Bonnie

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

I did research to find the best text expansion program available for Windows; PEx does even more.

-Saves me time: about ten hours per month, demonstrably. -Keeps my right wrist healthy: the more I can use PhraseExpander for input or switch to different windows or applications, the less I use the mouse. -Cuts down on "menial" activity like typing, tracking, file renaming. -Makes work more interesting because I think of ways to use PhraseExpander to speed up my projects.

Pros

* Saves me about ten hours per month in typing, looking up numbers or phrases, flipping clipboard snippets, and switching apps/windows. * Data: Keeps detailed statistics. * Interface to the shortcuts is very detailed and flexible, allowing user to group and sort in many different ways. * I like the ability to toggle Auto Expansion on or off with a lightning bolt icon, for each and every snippet. * Easy to duplicate an existing snippet and tweak it for another use, another state, another facility... * Provides automatic inline search, a great help if I haven' t memorized an assigned keystroke yet. * Can easily set up a few expansions to start... later when you're more familiar with it, go back and organize the interface or flesh them out. * Customer service is very responsive; the developer has personally helped me a couple times. For Mac users: PhraseExpander is like a strange marriage between TextExpander, Alfred and Keyboard Maestro. It has greatly improved my workday relationship with Windows.

Cons

*Could be used as a Launcher, except it doesn't index commands or locations automatically; must be set individually. *There was some learning curve the first two weeks; I definitely had to look some things up online or in the manual. *Would like to be able to sort the statistics data, I could mine it for more ideas.

Rachel

Save time and cut down on typos!

The program is really good and the customer service is excellent. I've run into a few bumps (see "cons" above) but so far nothing that has made me want to go back to a different utility.

Pros

I really love the automation, variables, flow, and data features. I'm continually finding new ways to put them to use to save time and improve accuracy and consistency.

Cons

1. I'd like more flexibility in terms of what can be used as the expansion key. For over 20 years using other expansion software I used the semicolon and I'm having a very hard time breaking that habit. 2. I wish the popup suggestions window was wider to show more of the description. I have a lot of templates that all start the same way but end differently. 3. I wish the order of the suggestions could be rearranged to override alphabetic order. For example, "ht" suggests "hemithyroid" and "hypertension." Since I use hypertension much more often than hemithyroid, I would choose to have hypertension be at the top of the list. 4. I wish I didn't have to open PE and use my mouse to activate/deactivate glossaries. My other program had the ability to switch glossaries with a key combination and I really miss that.

Reasons for choosing PhraseExpander

More and better options for automation and flow, better user interface, better value for the money overall.

Reasons for switching to PhraseExpander

I switched primarily because of cost. Now that I've been using PE for a while I appreciate the nice user interface and additional automation features too.

Toby

Industry: Mental Health Care

Versatile solution without any real limits

Pros

It is boundless in its application. I have been using PhraseExpander for over 5 years. I used it as an IT Administrator, and I use it in my current, transitional job as a manager of the Friends University Cyber Security Lab. I am also full-time student in the Marriage and Family Therapy masters program at Friends Univerity,and I use it constantly in my client documentation. From CLI commands in Unix to filling out a DSM-5 diagnosis, PhraseExpander doesn't let me down.

Cons

The autoupdate is not so "auto" in the Sharing feature. I have autoupdate configured, but if I make a change in a template, then that change will not update until I "Send Changes". So, if I make a change and forget to sycn, then that change won't be there on my other device. I will say, though, I was having to make a backup and restore the database if I wanted it on more than one device. Sharing is a HUGE benefit. Coupled with Microsoft OneDrive, it does work fabulously.

Reasons for switching to PhraseExpander

I used VB scripts, auto-complete and macros to accomplise Microsoft Office what PhraseExpander can do across my entire system.

Irina

The BEST program ever created, hands down! 100 Stars

I have been using this program since 2014 - that means it's been 7 years! Holy moly. That should be a testament to my overall experience with PhraseExpander. LOL - I don't even know how to type the date anymore, my "dd" shortcut has saved me HOURS I'm sure in the last 7 years by simply NOT typing the date! This program also makes excel formulas really easy to use. I have a few formulas that I use every single day but the data is potentially in different cells so this saves me a ton of time too. I honestly couldn't imagine my machine without it.

Pros

The ease of setup! I was able to set up the program within minutes and learned how to use it in hours. Many programs are out there but you need a freaking IT degree to set them up (they do this on purpose, i think) - not this one! It's literally created to be EASY and SIMPLE to use for the everyday person. It's really the most important thing about this program.

Cons

Honestly, I liked the previous setup screen than the newest update.......... but that's just me. I feel like the previous UI was a little easier to use.

Reasons for choosing PhraseExpander

i checked a few, but it was a while ago and i don't remember.

Easy to use software but ...

First I tested it and figured very quick out that only the Professional version fits my needs because I needed the dynamic templates. Now I don't want miss all the features PhraseExpander offers me. It saves me each day a lot of time by autofill things what I use on daily basis.

Pros

That it is easy to use this software. Also easy to customize to your own needs Saves a lot of time.

Cons

The license model. That means that usual a license starts when you buy a license or upgrade one. At prase expander if you bought it for example in March and renew your subscription for example in July of next year your subscripton runs then not from July to July it runs then from July to March of the following year.

Reasons for switching to PhraseExpander

More features and more easy handling

CHAD

Great time saver

Phrase expander has been great! We can now chart more quickly and efficiently. Not only have the macros helped to fill in quick templates, but we can now use it to query data from different formulas and questionnaires. When charting before we had to open a excel file, fill in all the data, transfer the data back into the chart then upload the whole excel file into the chart. With 6 doctors, trying to make sure we had the correct file was even more time consuming, and we had to worry about patient data stored on our hard drives. Now everything is calculated and entered directly into the chart for easy access and easier compliance.

Pros

Reduces significant time while charting.

Cons

There are a few extra steps to input into a flash text field.

"Expands" my EHR's capabilities

Pros

Allows me to save a lot of keystrokes with the repetitive things I type as I document my patient encounters. I bill based on documented work, but talking and counseling patients doesn't get documented, so if I give the same or very similar advice over and over (diet counseling, exercise counseling, etc.), PhraseExpander gives me the ability to quickly enter that information.

Cons

I wish it had actual check boxes, but that's a limitation also in the web-based cloud EHR I use, so even if PhraseExpander had it, I couldn't use it.

Response from Nagarsoft

Hi David, Thanks so much for your comments. You can certainly use checkboxes and grids inside PhraseExpander. Please check this guide https://docs.phraseexpander.com/article/29-create-fill-in-templates

Replied May 2018

Joy

Couldn't live without it!!

This program makes the difference between a professional healthcare note and one that is lacking. It takes the agony out of writing excellent notes and allows us doctors to focus on the patient as much as possible. Truly one of a kind, as I've tried other "look alike" programs and this one is in a different league all together. The program feels like it was made just for us and anticipates what we need as far as features and ease of use. Technical support is unbelievably good and responsive. You feel like your business is truly important to the company, and I believe this product will just keep getting better!

Pros

Excellent and keeps getting better

Cons

Learning curve but very well worth any minute spent getting to the advanced level

Megan

Incredible time saver - Essential to my job...

Efficient Time Management. I have the ability to use and customize phrases, paragraphs, and forms in a fraction of the time it would take to type out responses every single time I am recording my documentation. My documentation is more comprehensive since I am using my custom prompts so I don't leave out key points, but I also use the application for the mundane entries, like my business addresses, passwords, and ID numbers. Total game changer!

Pros

Flexibility. Having multiple options for forms, choice options, custom phrases, on-the-spot corrections and updates... This list of the options that I like "the most" is innumerable. This application is essential to capturing correct and complete data every time I sit down to record provider documentation. The icing on the cake is that the PhraseExpander developers truly want and listen to their client's feedback and desires. New functionality is coming based upon this constructive feedback and the commitment to creating an outstanding application!

Cons

Although the base functionality is simple to learn, there are a few nuances that have taken a few weeks to adapt and adopt into my workflows.

Kristoffer

Designed with the user in mind!

In medicine, we talk about 'practice-changing' updates that come from evidence based medicine. I would call PhraseExpander a 'practice-changing' product for every practitioner's workflow! I've never come across such an intelligently designed and helpful product that streamlines documentation and saves so much valuable time!

Pros

PhraseExpander has so many wonderful features. I consistently save an incredible amount of time each time I'm in clinic or on a call shift. When working a 24 hour call shift, saving 1-1.5 hours on documentation makes a huge impact. But one of the things I love the most is the real practicality of the software. It consistently works great, without hassle. The set up takes only a short time to learn and wonderful tutorial videos and instructional manuals are provided. I've never seen something with such great support in the setup process. And what I've found is that at every turn there are shortcuts or quick helps to making using the product a breeze. I've been in information technology and in healthcare a long time and am SO glad I've finally found something game changing - PhraseExpander.

Cons

There are an abundance of helpful features, the integration into my workflow was really smooth, and the function and stability of the product is excellent. I really can't think of a 'least like' despite trying.

Very good program that does what it is expected to do.

Pros

The ability to create boiler plate text. Auto correct spelling mistakes. They are continuing to make improvements.

Cons

How to remember all the names of the boiler plate text.... not sure how this can be done but would be nice to have some kind of drop down or recall system.

Response from Nagarsoft

Thanks so much for your review, Daniel. I'm so happy to hear that PhraseExpander is working well for you. I'm aware that, when you have set many phrases, remembering them can be hard. That's why PhraseExpander comes with Quick Find, a simple popup - that you can invoke from any app by pressing ALT+SPACE - that lets you search for the contents of any phrase. You can learn more on how to trigger phrases at https://docs.phraseexpander.com/article/23-how-to-trigger-a-phrase#quickfind

Replied April 2018