All Squarespace Reviews

Reviewed December 2020

Squarespace User Review

Jenna

Reviewed August 2019

The Best AND Easiest Website-Creating Software You Will Ever Use!

Squarespace has saved me time, money, and has allowed me to expand my photography business over the past 5 years by providing the perfect place for clients to find me online. Plus, I get SO many compliments on my website! People always comment on how it is professional, clean, and easy to navigate.

PROS

When I first started looking for a platform to create a website for my fledgling photography business nearly 5 years ago, there were a few specific characteristics I was seeking: I needed the platform to be easy to use, quick to set up, and to showcase my photos in an optimal way to potential clients. I found all of that and more with Squarespace! I was able to get my website set up in just a few days and was able to do it without any tears or that "I'm going to pull my hair out!" feeling. If anything, it was the complete opposite! I couldn't believe how easy everything was to set up and how professional my website looked.

CONS

The ONE thing I wish Squarespace had more of: more creative templates. Their website templates are a great, solid "skeleton" (if you will), but you definitely have to put extra work in if you want to make your website stand out from others who utilize the same template.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Squarespace was the easiest to get set up - fast. And it's the easiest to maintain, in my opinion! Many of my colleagues talk about their website woes, and about how hard it is to change certain things on their site. With Squarespace's intuitive drag and drop features (perfect for people who want to stay away from code!), anything can be easily changed at the click of a button.

Benjamin

Reviewed August 2023

A powerful website building solution

Squarespace has been a strong tool for my photography business. It's allowed me to easily create and update a portfolio website. While there are some customization limits I've been happy with Squarespace overall for years;

PROS

Squarespace offers great design templates, a user-friendly interface, and buit-in, reliable features. Gone are the days of dealing with plugins, updates and other headaches that come with some other tools.

CONS

I've run into some customization limitations, their update to the most current version was far from seamless, requiring customers to rebuild their sites rather than be upgradeable. There are cheaper options out there for sure as well.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

I like the end design of many webflow projects but it didn't seem as easy to build and manage on a day to day basis.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

I was tired of dealing with template updates, hosting issues, plugins etc.

Marilyn

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Squarespace great place to start for non profit website

It has been very helpful in getting websites launched.

PROS

It was easy to setup and get a a website launched and add pages later.

CONS

It does not allow easy updating from 7.1 to 7.2

Reason for choosing Squarespace

At the time Squarespace allowed us to import blogs.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

The Wordpress implementation had too many coding updates to keep up with for the non techie staff. Squarespace made it easy to teach non techie staff to update with out fear.

Andrea

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2019

SquareSpace is a let-down. It's hard to use and is missing basic features. The marketing fooled me!

Overall, I hated using SquareSpace and I was so disappointed because I switched away from WordPress + Divi to give SquareSpace a whirl based on SquareSpace's amazing marketing. What a let down. I will never use SquareSpace again. My client wanted both of his sites designed in SquareSpace because he was also duped by the ads. I made one site and it took forever because I was constantly googling how to do something with code to get the site how we wanted it. If you use SquareSpace be prepared to be frustrated or to hire a developer. Basic functionality is missing and you can't copy anything you've done to use elsewhere. I wanted to duplicate the first site and modify it for the second. You can't do that. I had to make both sites from scratch. Support was absolutely terrible. Zero help compared to the awesome Divi support staff that has made my designing life so great for so many years (I'm not an affiliate, just a fan). Oh! And SquareSpace is expensive! You have to pay for each and every site. With WordPress, you pay for hosting somewhere, like Siteground, and you can add as many sites to that account as you like no charge. Squarespace has pretty templates that you can't modify pretty much at all, and it's expensive with terrible support. Do not choose SquareSpace as your CMS unless you are a developer. Awful.

PROS

SquareSpace has beautiful templates. They are truly gorgeous. SquareSpace also has an easy-to-use sidebar of options that puts everything that you can do on the left side. The interface is as clean as the templates. Hosting of your site is done through Squarespace. That's it when it comes to pros. There are a ton of Cons to using SquareSpace.

CONS

As a WordPress user (who has also designed with Wix), SquareSpace falls short almost everywhere. You can't import your brand font—essential. You have to use code or a back-door solution with AdobeFonts. If you want 5 items in a row, no can do. You get 4 or 6. You can't drag the amount of padding around items and sections. You must use spacer blocks (time consuming and such a bad way to do things). There's no media storage! If you upload your photo it isn't stored anywhere for easy selection later. You must upload the same image multiple times whenever you need it—frustrating. Changes can't be made on individual copy styles. Squarespace sets up its CMS as a global system so if you want to change the way your font looks in just one place, you need to insert code (markdown block). You should be able to select it and change the size or colour. But no. It's CRAZY! So time-consuming. Missing basic word-processing functionality. Squarespace has no plugin options. You can't duplicate a page of your site and you can't duplicate your site! Everything is done from scratch! In WordPress, you download a .JSON file and upload it somewhere else and you're flying. Not with SquareSpace. You can't make your overlays look different per section. Everything applies globally. You can't add borders to images. The biggest CON? There's no undo! No revision history. If you delete something accidentally, it's gone forever. Support is terrible. Every answer is "you can't do that" or "try to find code.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Because my client wanted me to design using this CMS and before I used it I was curious (even excited) to give this terrible CMS a try. What a bad experience! If you are not tech-savvy, choose Wix. If you are tech savvy, choose WordPress with the amazing Divi theme by Elegant Themes. You will be sorry you chose SquareSpace immediately.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

Marketing. I was fooled. If the Cons section allowed, I had a laundry list of things you can't do with SquareSpace. Unfortunately, the Cons section had a max size, so I could only communicate a fraction of the things you can't do with SquareSpace.

Brianna

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2023

Great First Step - Very Affordable

Very user friendly, will get the job done and look great when you’re first starting out.

PROS

If you’re starting out and need an affordable landing page or website, Squarespace is a great option. Preferred over Wix (which definitely is slow to load) and super affordable for first timers.

CONS

Once you need more detailed design features or advanced marketing support or analytics you will have to move to a web host and serve that’s designed for higher business needs.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

Wix was always too slow to load (both when working in the backend and as a website server when loading for viewers).

Shannon

Cosmetics, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2023

From Forever Young

I LOOVE using Squarespace and I will continue to use this platform until it shuts fown.

PROS

I could design and build a website from nothing! Not only could I create a website but I could also accept payments, create Invoices, print receipts, and do payroll.

CONS

The obly verification process is with a phone number and I had my personal number changed without thinking it would affect my website access and I had to speak to Customer service to verify my identity. I wish it had alternative ways to verify other than by a phone number.

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

Good site builder

Great for a start up company such as ourselves, but it's only as good as we are, hence the templates are a welcome starting point. A site by a professional designer will always look better due to the above. This is not a criticism of Squarespace but an observation of its limitations.

PROS

Easy to learn. Easy to navigate. Basics such as security are set up in all templates for you.

CONS

No option to build a sales funnel. Would like more 'options' for the title bar and banner image that can be applied to all templates.

Chanery

Consumer Services, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2024

Squarespace

Easy to use, straightforward what you see is what you get software. Takes a daunting task and actually makes it fun

PROS

I like the ease of the technology. It allows everyone who can drag and drop and point and click the ability to create and manage their own website.

CONS

I did not care for the limited customizations available, but this really wasnt a big problem for my purposes

DANIEL

Internet, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 2 years

A great website builer

I am a fan of Squarespace, though I use WIX more now. They're basically neck and neck in terms of quality, and it seems down to preference on which you might go with.

PROS

They've consistently improved their platform and have great templates and robust options.

CONS

Perhaps a bit less user-friendly than WIX and other competitors.

Katie

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Simplicity at its best

PROS

I like most that Squarespace is so easy to setup, very simple to move and change elements, but also have a template to guide your design. Simplicity at its best.

CONS

I’m not so familiar with the deeper layers of the technology, so for me, if I want to change something that requires coding, I have no idea how to. Like a menu font/colour that has been set up with the template.

1 employee

Reviewed January 2024

Squarespace, a good base to start with.

PROS

As someone who only knows beginner level HTML/CSS, Squarespace's templates served as easy-to-use, yet customizable enough with my code writing knowledge. I appreciate how simple, yet not too limited to play around with. I feel like it saves me time.

CONS

I do think it can be quite limited in ways that I do think is a little inevitable with templated design. Pricing seems to increase often.

Marianne

Design, 1 employee

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed August 2019

Beautiful Templates but lacking in Clarity and Customer Support

The intent of this site was I thought to make it possible for anyone to easily create their own website and get it up and running quickly. I didn't get that and felt I was making compromises again and again. I started a blog on Squarespace with the intent of linking it to my website - Squarespace said it would be a seamless process - followed the instructions could never get it to happen so it's still not linked. There was a challenge with my G Suite registration when I went to renew and after days of frustration and the risk of losing my domain I found out it was something on the Squarespace side that had not been completed. Definitely not what I thought I was getting.

PROS

I am an experiential designer so my website needs to really give a potential client a feel for what I do. After looking at several products available I selected Squarespace because I felt their esthetic best fit mine. There many beautiful templates to choose from.

CONS

I'm not a web designer but have clear sense of what I want my website to look like. I thought starting with a template close to where I would like the final site to be like would make the process easier and I could get it done on my own. Not the case. Step by step instructions are lacking in information. Inserting text and content is complicated and the final results were not what I originally thought I was getting and found myself making compromises left and right. The template you choose is populated with the elements (font & images) that caught your eye but you have to remove it all to build your content.If half way through you realize as I did this might be the best way to display my images after all you have to start all over again nothing transfers.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Squarespace looked more sophisticated. The Squarespace templates looked closer to what I wanted for my finished look. For me to get to the same place on WIX or Wordpress it was, it appeared, to be more work for me. I did trials on both but really wasn't that excited by what was possible but the directions and steps were much easier to follow.

Kael

Environmental Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2019

The best website builder for lightweight needs and support

Overall, Squarespace has saved me a great deal of time managing the website and keeping it updated and current. It hasn't been without its headaches but it's definitely nice to be able to leave it sit for a period of time without worrying about technical difficulties. I used WordPress in the past and it's much, much easier. The major downside is your site will look Squarespace-y. All Squarespace sites have a certain modern styling and it's difficult to give it a unique look but that's the price we pay for simplicity.

PROS

The ease of creating and managing the website are its strongest suite. There is definitely a learning curve and not everything is intuitive out of the box. However, once you get through the quirks it can save substantial amounts of time creating content and maintaining the site into the future. It takes a lot of complexity out of website creation. It's a major relief to not have to worry about updating plugins and hoping something doesn't break. It's mobile friendly out of the box and much easier to handle things like image galleries or even selling products.

CONS

Every website must be on its own plan. No bundles or creating multiple websites on the same server. Choosing a template upfront can be tricky because it's hard to foresee what capabilities you'll need down the line and each template has its own abilities and quirks. You can always change the template but that often requires substantial reworking of the content. Also, you must work with the confines of what Squarespace can do. If you're trying to do something relatively complicated you're likely to run into roadblocks and limitations and you'll be stuck doing it the "Squarespace way" or not at all.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Felt it would be the easiest overall in terms of needed features while balancing overall simplicity.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

Updating plugins and the theme was tedious and could cause unknown headaches. Mobile support was trickier. Squarespace was much easier for non-IT people to update and contribute.

Ian

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2019

A website-builder following the K.I.S.S. mantra

Squarespace can't do everything you might want from a website. Or... well... it probably nearly can. The devil is in "how" it accomplishes things. Essentially the whole product keeps you "on rails" as you roll out a website. Every element within the builder has maybe one or two customization options, but the rest is hidden behind an impenetrable interface. But, Squarespace isn't just keeping functionality out of your hands to be cruel, it is often saving you from yourself. By limiting the options available to you, they also limit the potential outcomes of your foray into web design / ecommerce / etc into mostly desirable ones. Sometimes, rules/restrictions can be good! In this way, I'd say they are kind of like the "apple" of website-building platforms.

PROS

At one time, Squarespace's slogan was "build it beautiful." They take this mantra seriously, as the platform makes it almost impossible to NOT make a beautiful website. Can it be restrictive? Yes. But in limiting the user's options, it often is doing them a service. If you absolutely must have functionality or an type of implementation Squarespace doesn't support, then you probably need the help of an expert (either a dev agency or a marketing/design agency) or you are yourself an expert – in which case, you probably should have started with a more sophisticated tool.

CONS

The one area where customization is often necessary is in CSS. A bit of custom CSS goes a long way toward making a site look less like a template. Just as having a clean crisp UI/UX is the bread and butter that makes Squarespace sites so attractive to small businesses, having a "one-of-a-kind" look can go a long way toward making those businesses look more credible. It is a delicate balancing act, which Squarespace usually nails quite well... but the lack of documentation on how the site treats custom CSS is a shortcoming. I basically end up anding "Important!" to everything, because it is impossible to tell what elements of my CSS Squarespace is going to arbitrarily overwrite with no explanation.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Listen... don't let their newly expanded advertising budget or the way Godaddy pushes them fool you. Wix makes ugly websites. I'm sorry, but it is just the facts. Squarespace is a bit pricier (although the pricing is more transparent in my option) but you get what you pay for.

Alanna

Reviewed January 2020

Love hate relationship.

It’s a good option for the price, but as soon as I can afford more, I’m personally going to move on to a better website builder with more customization ability.

PROS

I love that it looks classy even if you’re not familiar with how to use website designing softwares. This is mostly due to the fact that they only allow certain liberties to the user unless the user knows code. In other words, they do not allow the user to make major changes to their templates, because they had professional designers put the templates together so they’d look great! And why let the user mess with a professionally designed look?

CONS

The fact that the user cannot change much means that intermediate users are out of luck. In my case, I am very familiar with how to make an appealing design, and I am also familiar with website builders in general, BUT I do not know coding so I can’t change details that way. Because I know more than a beginner, I get very frustrated at the limitations in design that I am dealt by Squarespace. For instance, they only allow 3 font styles throughout the site, which I understand is a great design approach, but sometimes a different font size or color is NEEDED. Just saying! (Particular afternoon campaign you might want to feature on a particular page, a slight color variation so it shows up better on a photo, etc.)

Reason for choosing Squarespace

Mainly, the price for the options offered seemed fair and good for my finances in where I’m currently at with my business.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

Wix makes it a little too much work by not having a design portion with preset margins and fonts and what not. I do like that Squarespace lets me set my basics and applies them site wide.

Alyssa

Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Squarespace is my favorite web design platform as a boutique web designer

I love Squarespace. I've been using it for over 3 years and have been able to quickly produce several websites with it. I'm a little disappointed by how much Squarespace is limited on design, but the tradeoff is worth it with how easy their platform integrates e-commerce, email marketing, scheduling, and inventory management all-in-one.

PROS

Squarespace is clean, sophisticated, modern, easy to use, and has built-in features such as domain purchasing, email marketing, scheduling, and e-commerce that make it easy to run a business. With Squarespace, I can trust that my clients will be able to manage their website 100% by themselves once I finish designing it for them. With other platforms (like Wordpress), I cannot guarantee the same. I also like how transparent Squarespace's pricing and plans are. It's so easy to upgrade or downgrade as your needs change. In Squarespace, I can design a high-quality website extremely fast and share the draft with my clients easily.

CONS

Squarespace is the least flexible of all the web design platforms that I work with in terms of design customization. There are a lot of different types of widgets and ways to display content that simply aren't available on Squarespace because the platform limits what you can change in the design (probably to prevent websites from turning out bad). I've also noticed that Squarespace websites typically load slower than some of the websites I've built on other platforms like Webflow and Duda.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

I can guarantee that all of my clients will be able to manage their website on their own, without any previous of website design knowledge or skills. Squarespace also has some of the best support articles and tutorials, so it saves me time answering customer questions.

Anne

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2021

Easy and Elegant

I love SquareSpace. I would really need to be wowed to switch to another company. This has everything I want (not just need) to create a great first impression

PROS

I love how simple it is to create the aesthetic I want to share with the public. The customer support team was so helpful whenever I met a snag in implementation. That hardly ever happened though, because it is so straightforward to create my own website with gorgeous content thanks to SquareSpace and their templates

CONS

There have been a few times where links have broken on my website and it has been challenging to get them reinstated.

Reason for choosing Squarespace

SquareSpace has amazing customer support and everything I need to run my business.

Reasons for switching to Squarespace

After being told that Vista print had all of the marketing materials across the platform for me to do business, I learned that they don’t support certain fonts across the entire platform. The customer support was rude and terrible. One more reason why I love SquareSpace

Eddie