Browse TheraScribe Reviews

Martin from New Beginnings Counseling (MiddleCross Church)

TheraScribe

Because I average 21 clients a week, I value any tool that streamlines or simplifies the paperwork side of counseling. The more proficient I am in navigating the program the more time I have for counseling.

Pros

TheraScribe has a highly organized procedure of progression from intake to release. They have even provided easy to use intake forms to record personal history that exactly mirrors their biopsychosocial portions of the program. Their newest release has made their clinical pathway program easier to use and more flexible than ever. Because I care for a population that often share a particular treatment plan, this feature streamlines individual entry. During the later part of last year, I experienced some software conflicts between the program and my computer. In dealing with their technical support, I was impressed with not only their quick response but their relentless efforts to make sure I was up and running. During our conversation on troubleshooting the particular issues, there was interest in future efforts on their part towards avoiding software conflicts.

Cons

As a visually impaired user, I am having ongoing discussions with ‘sTheraScribe’s programmers on making their product more compatible with screen reading programs such as Jaws & Zoomtext. At this point, it takes significant effort on my part to navigate the program but I am hopeful for the future.

Iris from Pipeline To God Communications, Inc.

Industry: Mental Health Care

I looked a long time to find a software program that was clinical, user friendly and easy to learn.

It's very easy to use and easy to learn. The end product presentation is great!

Pros

I like the ease and the speed of creating treatment plans and writing progress notes that I can customize to meet our clients' needs. Therascribe allows our therapists to spend more time with the client. I really value not only the evidenced-based information available to create the treatment plans, but also the final presentation. Our charts look great! We are often asked which software program we use. Therascribe is user friendly -- It is easy to learn and it is easy to teach the staff how to use it. I appreciate the versatility of the software. I started using Therascribe in private practice. As my practice grew into a small agency (staff of 12), Therascribe grew with the increasing software needs of the therapists and the agency. Therascribe is a good place to start -- and you will find that you want to continue with it! And finally, the technical support is invaluable, it is cost effective and you "get the knowledge that goes along with the know-how." This software was one of the best decisions...best choices... and best investments "Pipeline Counseling" has made.

Cons

I think the assessment section is too general. It is excellent for a smaller practice, however, I would like each of those sections to prompt or require more specific information be entered.

Whitney from Peace of Mind, Inc.

Industry: Mental Health Care

Therascribe is a good, basic system if you don't care for a lot of bells and whistles.

Pros

Gets the job done. I like that the Wiley planners can be integrated. Printing is not a difficult thing to accomplish.

Cons

I am a Mac user and this program is only Windows compatible. I use Parallels but it burns right through my battery. Not web based so if you are using more than one computer, you have to be very diligent to be sure you are using your most current database, which can be a hassle sometimes.

Joseph P. from Joseph Carlino LCSW-R

Review of Therascribe

Overall it’s an excellent product with professional looking documents and treatment plans. I’ve been using it since 2006. The main difference since then is the diagnosis codes. Insurance only pays for ICD 10 not DSM. So instead of paying a bunch of money to upgrade I write in the ICD 10 codes which only takes an extra few minutes.

Pros

The overall final product looks very professional. It’s fairly easy to use. It’s intuitive. I usually write the note while with the patient. I don’t write a lot just quotes. When I call for help it’s only one guy but he’s very responsive and helpful.

Cons

The initial price of $500.00 advertising this is a one time purchase. Then they offer some sort of monthly fee for maintenance and updates for ICD 10 diagnosis codes. The cost of treatment planners are half the price of the original price. I wish it had 2 components online and in computer and external drive. I still have hard copy charts which takes up a lot of space. I purchased this back in 2006 and still using from the original version. To update I have to pay another fee for ICD 10 codes.

Matthew from Private Practice

Solid Software

There are so many companies offering services to therapists, but at a monthly cost, that I am willing to spend up front on a product if it will last longer than the monthly subscription for a similar product would cost. I have been very happy with the product. The customer service is also excellent. I email the representative who responded to my initial email and he gets back to me ASAP. I emailed him when initially setting up the software, then about purchasing additional treatment planners, and when my computer died (requiring assistance with replacement software).

Pros

The software is relatively easy to use. Once I figured out how to set up my user credentials it only took a few minutes to figure out how to go through the sections to write an assessment and treatment plan. If I have the background info ready to go I can write the assessment and plan in less than an hour. I like that I can add data fields and edit the library of choices based on the needs of my client population. For example, I work with some gender non-conforming clients and was able to add categories to the library for each of those and I was able to add objectives and linked interventions to the treatment plans.

Cons

I would like to be able to have it automatically add a line for the client to sign the treatment plan (there may be a feature for that but I haven't found it yet). I bought two additional treatment planners, the cost of those can add up.

Kathleen from TRANSITIONS Clinical Social Work

Industry: Mental Health Care

Excellent. I have used this program since 2004. It has taught me the jargon of the discipline.

After the original intake data is entered the program is easy to keep up to date. It has taught me the jargon of the discipline as well as short-term useful interventions. The task participation has been very useful. I can present well in many different venues.

Pros

The program is organized and easy to use. The knowledgeable help when I need assistance. Reports are made so easy to collect. Flexibility of assimilating data from different parts of program. The regular updates. My Agreement with THERASCRIBE continues to be honored. The program is detailed and thorough. It has taught me jargon which is respected by others in the medical field.

Cons

Cannot figure out how to use the signature part to sign documents. When I attempt to paste information into the Progress Notes section, the data disappears when I close the program and reopen. It would be so helpful to be able to cut and paste my notes, as well as diagrams.

Excellent, Treatment Planner offers elements for your creativity and high quality treatment plans.

The benefits are diverse, the treatment planning modules contain more than 1,000 pre-prescribed and clinically proven treatment options that can be adapted to the client's needs or the treatment situation, the interventions are consistent with those Evidence-Based Treatments. Progress note planners provide descriptions of the client's symptom presentation and description of the therapist completed, customizable and pre-written for each problem that is presented in the Supplemental Treatment Planner and, among other things, task planners present task assignments based on client behavior that help maximize commitment between sessions and client opportunities to implement and evaluate ideas or coping behaviors discussed in therapy sessions.

Pros

I like most is that the Treatment Planner modules provide all the necessary elements to quickly and easily develop high quality treatment plans, also that each module contains more than 1,000 pre-prescribed and clinically proven treatment options that can be easily adapted to adapt to the client's needs or the treatment situation.

Cons

I like the least is that although the therapeutic objectives and plans of interversion are based on evidence, we can not ignore the particularity of the cases that are attended, because the therapeutic guidelines do not seek to be systematized from some approaches, always it must be studied outside the software that serves each one the most.

Margo from Life Solutions: Integrative Healing

Therascribe for Group Practice

It was "OK". Part of it was great because having the Wiley's planners built into the program is amazing. Especially the progress note planner. However, the antiquated nature of the program plus cost is a massive drawback that made it not worth it.

Pros

The best part of the software is easily the access to the Wiley's planners. The information is invaluable. This makes documenting feel credible and high quality.

Cons

A huge disadvantage is that Therascribe is software that is downloaded on the laptop or computer.....no online access at all. You have to use the laptop you have it installed on to document. I tried to install it on two laptops and it was a mess....far too cumbersome and confusing. Lack of access to an online system and the excessive cost of the program is why we decided to not go forward with Therascribe.

Response from PEC Technologies

Replied December 2019

There is an online option for the Enterprise Edition where the database is hosted on PEC's Microsoft Azure Server which can then be securely accessed by a computer with TheraScribe installed, a valid user License and an internet connection. Email Sales@TheraScribe.com for more info.

Donna from Willow Bay Christian Counseling Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

Customer Support is amazing! Program is great with a few areas for improvement.

Less time hand writing treatment plans.

Pros

Ease of use. Ability to edit libraries for individualizations. Formatting is practical. Session reminders are helpful.

Cons

Not MAC compatible, so I have to run a VM. This causes storage problems. When adding a new session date, and the switching screens to progress rating or progress notes, it would be great if the date stayed constant.

Colleen from SLO Coastal Therapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Mixed. It is easy to use for notes, but the treatment plans are not already created.

Secure case notes.

Pros

It is easy to write case notes, and enter in the session details. It appears to be secure. Customer service is mostly helpful.

Cons

Having to create treatment plans and enter in diagnostic information. I don't know if there is a glitch in my software or what. If I want to create a treatment plan for a client I have to enter in everything, including the DSM V codes.

John from Home On The Range

Our organization uses Therascribe in a residential treatment setting and it is a great tool!

A comprehensive treatment planning and progress note program.

Pros

Thereascribe is a great tool for treatment planning, progress notes, and homework planning. It is set up to easily use with lots of points and click features. Customer support is great, timely, and courteous, whether via email or telephone. Using customer support, they were able to help us customize a few changes to the program to be program specific for our setting!

Cons

There is always a learning curve - at one point, I allowed too many users with administrative privileges and some of the users went in and changed some settings that made Therascribe unusable. This was not the fault of the software. Working with customer support, they were able to get us up and running.

Lauren from Sinclair Health Clinic

A must have for any therapist

I am a solo mental health practitioner in a health clinic. I used to have to hand write all my treatment plans which was very time-consuming, especially as busy as I am being the only mental health provider. With Therascribe, it has saved me so much time. TheraScribe customer support is super responsive, always heard back when I've emailed with tech questions within the hour. I love TheraScribe and would recommend to any therapist!

Pros

It has made my treatment planning SO easy. It is super user friendly and has saved me so much time by having the templates for each diagnosis.

Cons

I wish I could add in my own interventions/goals

Response from PEC Technologies

Replied December 2019

You can add your own problems, goals, objectives, and interventions. On any of the Add dialogs click on the Edit Library button on the bottom of the dialog and you can edit existing items as well as add your own.

Dr. Fred from Brighter Visions Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

I have used it exclusively for clinical records for two years, have trained associate counselors.

Complete confidence in clinical records.

Pros

I like the templates themselves that guide the clinician through assessments and treatment planning. I like the ability to modify treatment plans and assessments as treatment progresses without starting over. After experiencing an audit without it and another audit with it, it gives me confidence in our records system.

Cons

I find it time consuming to modify or personalize reports templates; perhaps I just haven't taken the time to explore the tutorials. And I wish it were easier to move between computers.

John from Center for Expressive Therapy

TheraScribe

Pros

Ease of use. User friendly. I can do a treatment plan in minutes and a progress note quickly. I love being able to have a pre-made treatment plan for a certain diagnosis and with the push of a button I have a plan made for a new client with only having to make minor changes (if any at all).

Cons

I have had struggles with using the software on two computers and having them interface with each other. The software can be expensive at first but I find the time saved well worth the cost.

Donna from Clarity Counseling P.C.

Industry: Mental Health Care

Over a decade of using this software for my practice

ease of compliance with managed care record keeping requirements

Pros

I like the easy navigation, the various modules so that treatment plans fit the population I serve. I also like the HIPAA log that requests and logs information about every printed record. This is an optional feature, and takes a few minutes to fill out, but assures compliance with HIPAA requirements for release of records.

Cons

I would like to see it more compatible with Medical Records for integrating behavioral health into Primary Care.

Donna from Peace of Mind, Inc

Industry: Mental Health Care

I have used Therascribe for years, and was glad when it came back in 2015.

All my records are easy to access. I can chose how to print my records and I can rate how a client is doing on various objectives easily.

Pros

I like the options for treatment planning. I like that aside from the Biopsychosocial feature, there is an area for me to write an assessment and add to the information provided.

Cons

I would like to be able to add information about the doctor on the personal information page, as well as additional fields for multiple e-mail addresses or phone numbers.

Evan from Sunset Counseling Services, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

It has been a very useful tool.

I have a valuable tool to track patients' progress. I can rely on it to help me in my record keeping.

Pros

The treatment plans are well written and organized and offer a good variety of explanations and treatment tools that can be used. I like the compatibility with Helper Software.

Cons

There are a variety of formats available for creating reports. Sometimes they can be confusing to understand what they will do when choosing the various options to create the reports.

Sterling from Cedar Ridge Academy

Our company has used this software for a number of years, and we enjoy the effectiveness it brings.

Pros

Over many years, and numerous version releases we have enjoyed the familiarity and the reliability. It is nice to not be required to "rip out and replace" every time a major release is installed. We have been able to continue work as usual, and just move on. I know that I have received excellent customer support with any questions or concerns, and I appreciate that. I feel like I am a valued customer.

Leslie from Valley Teen Ranch

Easy to use.

I think the most important benefit is that it keeps me organized and helps me to focus on treatment options that I might not otherwise think of.

Pros

It doesn't require a lot of technical expertise. Everything is common sense and straight forward. It has helped me become a lot more organized with my assessments and treatment plans.

Cons

I have noticed that I don't catch spelling/typing errors easily on it so I wish it had an auto-correct spelling feature.

Rachel from Rachel KoK

I am a therapist and treatment plan and progress notes are essential to me.

Pros

This software has everything I need. It has all goals, interventions, objectives, progress to date etc. It saves me time and when needed, it helps me to create clinical reports because everything is there already.

Cons

It is pricey. You have to buy modules separately. They are worth is if you can afford them. They are like the book form.

Caroljean from Caroljean Bongo PsyD LLC

Quite pleased!

the most important is that it makes it easy to stay on top of my progress notes and remain compliant with government regulations for record keeping.

Pros

I love the ease and speed of completing a progress note. The pull down's make it very quick and easy.

Cons

Sometimes i would like more choices in the pull down's for completing a progress note. However, i can always add my own when needed.

Sharon from Empowered Place Counseling Very

Industry: Mental Health Care

Therascribe has been very good. It has helped improve my efficiency and customer service is great.

Improved efficiency of practice.

Pros

The ease of completing treatment plans, notes and assessments. Therascribe has reduced my paperwork and after hours time. It is very user friendly.

Cons

The command for undo and redo which allows correction when information has been mistakenly deleted while typing. Therefore, it is lost.

Susan from Susan Ryan, PsyD

This is a good functional program for a clinician.

I use it daily. It saves me tons of paper.

Pros

The reports are so easy to generate. The ability to customize reports is a big plus. I like the graphics and subsections of topics.

Cons

It's not always intuitive as to how to fix something when there is a problem. Also, the program will not allow me to choose 45 min sessions.

Caroljean from Caroljean Bongo PsyD LLC

Great product and excellent support

This product has helped me to save time and money.

Pros

I like how it is easy to create a therapy note for my client sessions, and the notes include all the elements that are needed in the event of an audit.

Cons

Sometimes the problems and treatment options are limited and i have to create my own.

Rachel from Rachel KoK

Industry: Mental Health Care

I have been using theraScribe since 1999. It is best software I invested and worth every penny.

Worry free when I was audited.

Pros

Everything I needed to develop my treatment plan, keeps track of goal/interventions and progress notes keep me focus on what I need to work on with PT.

Cons

The reports layout could be more flexible. I wish I have more control as to how and what I the report to look like.

Robin from Healing Hearts & Homes

Makes charting easy.

Easy of keeping all my charting stuff in one program.

Pros

I like the ability to have treatment plans ready for clients to review and to send of to insurance companies.

Cons

Limited goals for diagnoses. And there seems to be topics that I cannot find how to fill in such as presenting problem.

Barry from New Horizons Counseling Center

User Friendly

Uniform electronic documentation.

Pros

We really like the treatment planning part of the program. It is really user friendly and makes documenting treatment plans simple.

Cons

Progress Notes are too cumbersome and not user friendly. Too much to document and takes to long to use.

Michael from Recovery Counseling, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Very intuitive, user friendly, and has all the functionality that I need.

It does everything that I need it to do.

Pros

It does everything: scheduling, assessments, treatment plans, progress notes, reports...very versatile.

Cons

I wish the homework and progress planners were included within the cost of the software, and that they were customizable.

Carol from Carol A. Syer MFT CEAP

I have been user form many years and find it is very convenient in my treatment planning and record

easy documentation

Pros

Access to all the treatment planning features is very helpful to me. Very easy to navigate....

Cons

I have never figured out the clinical pathway feature. the cost can be prohibitive if you want access to many of the planners.

Sam from Sam Jolman, MA LPC, Counseling

Too Robust, Not Cloud Based

It really helped me stay organized in my practice.

Pros

Therascribe has a ton of excellent features and is very robust if you need to document well. It had built in treatment plan options. And I found it fairly easy to navigate.

Cons

The version I had could not link with the cloud. And clients could not fill out paperwork digitally. Also, I found all the features too much for my needs.

Angela from Heart of Grace, LLC

Satisfied

Pros

I really like everything about the software but if I had to decide what I like the most it would be the report section and the ease of being able to product and print reports on certain areas of the software. I also like how detailed the software is.

Cons

It doesn't have the option to bill and maybe run card cards through the system.

Candace from Empowered Psychotherapy Svc

Customer Service: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Pros

I wanted to take the opportunity to recognize [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] for going above and beyond to assist me with troubleshooting an issue at off peak hours by providing me with excellent customer service. I can speak about the overall satisfaction with Therascribe software, however, the service I received from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is what makes Therascribe the product that will enhance my business needs! Thanks again and again

Cons

more features are needed Re: adding more options for notes

Rene from hospital

Full featured but it can be cumbersome

Detailed and complete notes as required by insurance companies.

Pros

Treatment planning and notes with essential details. Examples of specific goals and objectives supported by the literature.

Cons

Difficult to streamline; having to repeatedly uncheck boxes for choices I don't need. For example having to exclude the whole treatment plan from each progress note.

Darin from Desert Sage Health Centers

Great service

Pros

The service department is as available and responsive as the sales department. We needed some help learning the program and needed some customization. It was all done in a timely manner. I had forgotten to add one of our clinicians as a TheraScribe user prior to our first training session. I dropped an email to TheraScribe explaining my predicament just before starting the training and the clinician was up and running during the first hour of the training. The program is working well for us and the service is outstanding.

Cons

The default font is small. It can be fatiguing by the end of the day.

Response from PEC Technologies

Replied December 2019

One can increase the size of the default font by right clicking on the desktop and scrolling down to find "Scale and Layout" and change the percentage there. That changes all fonts on most apps, but DOES make things a bit more readable.

Don from Another View LLC

Assessment

Pros

I have been using TheraScribe for over 10 years. The software is comprehensive and easy to to use. The assessment and Treatment plans allow you to produce solid goals and objectives that are easy to track. Also, the assessment, mental status and treatment plan are good tools when working with outside vendors, that may need a report.

Cons

I like the software and have not had in problems to date.

Michael from Empowerment Clinic Inc.

We have had a lot of customizations done in Therascribe. It fits our needs well.

Pros

It is linear which is easy to follow. We have customized the program to include an ASAM assessment which we use daily.

Cons

I would like to have a Recovery Mentor treatment planner added. I'm willing to assist with this process.

Jon from Carolina's Therapy Solutions

love this software!

The only issue I have with it now is that it is not NC Connex compliant, so I am going to have to stop using it. I wish it was web based and compliant, I would never switch. That's the reason I only gave a 5 on recomending it .

Pros

I love how easy it is to use, from the assessment to the treatment plan, through the notes, easiest program I have found.

Cons

There is really nothing I didn't like about it.

Shawn from Recovery Healthcare Corporation

Our account rep has done a great job troubleshooting any issues we experience.

Helps our company communicate with this software from 21 different locations.

Pros

Cloud option helps out company communicate with 21 locations. Our account rep has done a great job troubleshooting any issues we experience.

Cons

Have ran into quite a few glitches during the initial setup. We've mainly experienced issues with going back in time on the calendar.

Elizabeth from Elizabeth Snyder

I have loved having the practice planners!

Pros

Practice planners are great, so helpful for writing treatment plans and creating reports. This is my favorite part of the program.

Cons

I find it a bit clunky for the assessment, too much for my practice. I also wish the progress notes had other options for customization.

Deirdre from Deirdre Moriarty. Ph. D.

Easy to use.

Keeping records primarily.

Pros

The ease of it. East of moving from patient to patient and retaining old patients so can call them up when they return.

Cons

Transferring doc in and out. Would like a spellcheck - help with reports. Would like an abbreviation save feature.

Carlos from Lopez and Associates

Effective and useful

Pros

The application is effective in simplifying the process of treatment and offering substantive options to develop treatment plans.

Cons

I purchased multiple licenses but other users found it very difficult to enroll and begin using the application even with Therascribe support.

Response from PEC Technologies

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your review. We can certainly connect to a users computer to help them get set up. The initial setup can sometimes be a bit challenging but we will do what it takes to get it working for you. Thanks, TheraScribe Support

DONNA from Southwestern College, Santa Fe, NM

Industry: Mental Health Care

Best EHR system for small to medium practice

Very user-friendly and an excellent buy.

Pros

Implementation was uncomplicated. The vendor was very accessible and assisted with the configuration. They definitely have a deep understanding of the Mental Health field. The software interface is very intuitive and the integrated help feature is amazing.

Cons

If I had to choose cons, I would say the first would be the lack of built-in billing functions. Billing is accomplished using a simple integration with Therapist's Helper.

edward from RVA Recovery LLP

okay

quick access

Pros

I enjoy the drop down boxes as well as the DSM 5 codes which make it very simple. I also like the multiple choices that are available.

Cons

I do not like that there is no hardcopy handbook and customer support agent is unhelpful. Customer support agent has an attitude that is unwelcoming.

Holly from Westminster Chapel

I love the check boxes

Ease of training my interns and running reports.

Pros

I loved that there are checked boxes you can use and the language is used as a training tool for our counseling interns to learn more clinical language. I also love that you can run professional reports

Cons

I can't use it on my mac. I also dislike that I can't put in my own language and that I have to buy different books if I want more language to better fit a client.

Paulette from MacRae Psychotherapies

Industry: Mental Health Care

Good but could be better!

I appreciate having most of my client notes in one place. I would like an invoicing option to be part of the program, but not to have to pay more for it. It is a bit complicated to upload items but I haven't done a tutorial yet.

Pros

The one time purchase rather than a monthly fee.

Cons

Lack of click options for symptoms and notes.

Krista from Krista Huyer

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Handy

Overall experience has been okay. Nothing to overly complain about and I am looking forward to working with the product more.

Pros

Still getting used to the system and sometimes feel funny not hand writing my notes but with a busy and full practice this helps simplify life!

Cons

Not compatible with my apple products has made this not the most efficient software at all times for my office

Bruce from A Better Way Thereapy

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Hard to use, My therapists stopped using it.

none

Cons

Hard to use, Hard to connect everyone together, Confusing, My therapists said they never figured it out. Most had therascribe back in the day and said.

Response from PEC Technologies

Replied December 2019

We should've had you run the Enterprise version as that is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to maintain and connect users.

Piril from Piril I Akman Psyd pllc

Industry: Facilities Services

Overall the software is easy to use but it took a lot of time understanding each tab.

Pros

Content is very rich and I love the check marks and the conversion into word documentafter you complete the assessment

Cons

Too many tabs with information that is not needed for a small practice. The set up of the software is a bit tedious

Response from PEC Technologies

Replied December 2019

On many of the screens one can hide tabs and fields that are not used. One can also add fields. Contact Support@TheraScribe.com for details.

Piril from Piril I Akman Psy.D. Pllc

The program is ok a bit more work than what I thought

Pros

Treatment plans are really nice very detailed...it a bit hard to navigate compared to the other software programs I looked at.

Cons

Well for one it is not compatible of all laptop brands and that really put a hamper for on of my coworkers who also purchase the program

Sandee from Sandra Hunt Bero Counseling

Perfect for self-employed person.

Pros

Easy and thorough for ethical notes. Easy fill-in feature is my favorite. Staff are helpful and knowledgeable.

Cons

Smaller print than I expected. I might just need glasses. Nothing else comes to mind. Maybe if it were free! But it is worth the money.