• icon"I love this software because it clearly shows the hops when pinging."
  • icon"Got a useful data of network functionality. I recommend this sotware to all who have problems with network quality issues."
  • icon"I have used this tool since around 2002. It has always been solid and gives an excellent graph of the data collected."
  • icon"Graph designs are a bit ugly to look at and sometimes agents do not want to share this with customers."
  • icon"Besides pinging live or dead hosts and generating summaries."

Browse all PingPlotter Reviews

• Have you used PingPlotter and would like to share your experience with others?

PingPlotter to the Rescue!

Kevin

Carrier issues validated

We’ve been having service outages with our Commercial- Time Warner/ Spectrum Cable internet service for a few months. We’ve had five different technician visits over this time trying to resolve the same issue. With all of the visits we have replaced every piece of internal house cabling and external drop to the pole tap, and all the modem/ router/ switches. And at a serious cost! The last two visits were by senior technicians and they came with laptops to show us the health history of our account. We had be writing down the times and dates of the outages to help them pinpoint the problem. What we found is their sampling rate time frame is way broader than they were telling us. Meaning we could tell them the service was out for say an hour on this day/time, but they couldn’t see it on their tools dashboard. Looking forward to clearing up the intermittent outages problem. Many thanks!

Pros

Easy of install and use. It wasn’t until we installed Ping Plotter and took screen shots of those subsequent days for QOS proof did they start to get somewhat serious about the problem! Up till then it was a patch it and move on. patch it and move on mentality. Now that we have our own tool, we gain better QOS data.

Cons

Glad to report we did not find any issues with the software.

Robert

Industry: Chemicals

A simple to use tool that tells you the state of your Internet connections

I got PingPlotter because I was having flaky Internet connections, and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I could use Email and simple web surfing, but anything more than that was difficult at best and impossible at worst. Windows 10 Ping program wasn't very helpful. I went online looking for a better, free solution, and I saw many recommendations for PingPlotter. PingPlotter comes with a 15 day free trial of the Pro Version, and that turned out to be very helpful. By monitoring multiple targets continuously over several days, I found patterns in my Internet connection that helped me figure out, in consultation with my ISP where the problems were. I am now working towards a resolution of those problems. I highly recommend PingPlotter as a simple-to-use, helpful tool for diagnosing Internet connection problems.

Pros

Easy to download and install. 15 day free trial Easy to use. It's almost intuitive, but where it isn't intuitive, the help files are actually helpful. Provides helpful graphics that show the path my data is taking, how much packet loss is occurring, and where it is occurring. In the Pro version, you can continuously ping and monitor multiple targets for hours.

Cons

The free trial comes to an end. :-( The graphics would sometimes hang up when I was running continuous monitoring for hours, forcing me to reset and restart.

Rachel

Industry: Computer Networking

Time used: Free Trial

Looking at the Pro version. The tool works very well, but limited in ability for its price.

Visibility of some network issues. I would purchase some licenses immediately if they were 1/5 of the price (which is where I would put a price on this software) however since the seat license is so high, I will look for other solutions.

Pros

Graphical representation of IP traceroutes and ping stats done at the same time. The graphical information is clear and concise, with the ability to scroll through a timeline to some extent. The software cleanly loads in Win10 without crashing.

Cons

Timeline information needs work as it's not intuitive to scroll through specific times/dates. There is no obvious way to look at a time period over 7 days and examine a 3 minute interval in detail for example. Pricewise; I purchased a Fingbox which is a physical device which has a lot more ability than this software although the uses are different I feel the value for money for this software is not good! The price of this software is way over priced for the pro version. There are no bulk purchase discounts at all so no incentive to purchase more than once license at a time. The features the software offers is very small for what you would expect at the price. There are many free tools out there which seem to do the same thing. Ultimately it won't take long for someone to write an equivalent at a sensible price. The trial period for the pro version should be longer. I didn't really get much time to spend on customisation. Take out the weekends and normal busy daily activities and there isn't really much time to spend on the testing it in 14 days.

Allan

August 2022

PingPlotter helps find ISP Packet Loss issues

I've found the solution easy to use and very helpful in showing status to my ISP and others. The online help has been useful as I investigate my observations, etc.

Pros

PingPlotter continually monitors and is easy to see when issues arise. I'm watching for packet loss with my ISP. Very helpful to see the total history of events!

Cons

I love the software, but wish it were more affordable for my size implementation (home office). The trial version is great and I would love to keep it always, even after I have resolved (hopefully) my current network troubleshooting. It makes sense to have now... I would love to pay something like a $30 cost vs. monthly fee. It is just me at the home office.

Reasons for choosing PingPlotter

It worked the first time I used it, so I'm very happy so far. I'm not looking to try another solution at this time unless price for my small/home business makes it less affordable.

Patrick

June 2022

Great for diagnosing home network problems

Fantastic overall experience. I would recommend this product to anyone!

Pros

PingPlotter was very easy to use and intuitive for someone who is not overly familiar with networking. The instructions on the website were very detailed and helpful. The visualizations and graphs were particularly helpful! I was able to use this information to prove to my internet service provider that there were problems. Overall, this is a great tool!

Cons

None! This software works seamlessly and I can't think of any suggestions for improvement.

March 2022

PingPlotter helped us identify problems with our service provider

Our experience has been fantastic. This tool was SIMPLE, it did exactly what we were looking for and required almost no setup time. It's rare to today to find a tool that just "simply works".

Pros

Our service provider made changes to our hosted environment that crippled servers during certain backup operations. PingPlotter allowed us to run a simple continual ping, and as the name says, plot that showing when packets were simply dropped and when they were once again received. This was crucial in showing the hosting provider that it was not something we had done, but their own infrastructure that caused the problem.

Cons

This may be just a limitation on the free trial, but I wish it allowed me to pick a remote subnet (not simply the subnet the host was on) to scan for servers and ping. But I was able to work around this easily.

MAARTEN

Good product to see where issues are

We have since some days very poor internet, while the speed from our router to internet looks like pretty good. With Pingplotter we have seen that there are many packet losses and a very high latency at our provider. Now we are in contact with our provider and we can show them where the issues is. Before the said it was our problem. So it helps very much to have a good discussion with our ISP.

Pros

The possibility to see latency and packet loss in own network and outside at ISP

Cons

Documentation how it works is not easy to find

Roberth

Amazing tool to discover your network and detect issues

Pros

Easy to use, Interface is clean and you can see information clearly Historical data is a treasure and you can use it to analyze with a lot of details

Cons

Honestly I don't find any problem with PingPlotter, just I can do a suggestion and it is include a option to send reports by mail with some frequency about specific target monitored.

Scott

February 2022

Packet loss issues

It is the simplest software to identify and resolve any issues related to network problems

Pros

After experiencing video lag and problems on MS Teams and Zoom, PingPlotter allowed me to narrow down and identify the core issues that were causing the problems, and further investigate with the router manufacturer

Cons

It can be complex to know how to use if you do not first watch tutorials or be guided by someone who has experience

Chau

Amazing Product! Everything I needed

Overall, I enjoyed my experience and I know you will to. I only needed it for personal reasons in tracking packet loss and if you need something like this it's worth trying the 2 week free trial. Everything is very straight forward and someone whose a bit computer illiterate like me can still use the software well.

Pros

Able to track multiple addresses across different timelines Easy to read and easy to navigate I did not understand anything about tracking packet loss and the program itself along with PingPlotters guides on their website helped me succeed in escalating packet loss issues to my internet service provider.

Cons

There's nothing that I didn't like about the software. Definitely recommend it on all accords.

Alfonzo

Very useful tool

This tool is excellent for my network monitoring job!!!

Pros

This software is very easy to use, simple interface, excellent ping and trace data! The trace and timeline graph are the most valuable info.

Cons

Need more type of dashboards for multiple hosts. Sometimes the service stops running.

david

Very Happy with Ping Plotter

Pros

Ping Plotter is extremely easy to use and understand. I am a novice with network issues and in the past have always relied on my internet provider to diagnose any issues with my network. With Ping Plotter i was able to provide my network provider the information that shown where the issue was and allow them to fix the issues at the source.

Cons

I was looking for something that was powerful and free, but found that Ping Plotter was the best, but is not free.

PingPlotter for Network Troubleshooting

PingPoltter helped to identify and locate the specific hops that were causing intermittent service interruptions and highy latency issues.

Pros

The product is easy to install and use. It is great for capturing traffic over long periods of time. It comes with a friendly graphical interface which makes it easy to find packet drops and connection failures. This made it easy to identify issues and submit the results to our internet provider for quick resolution.

Cons

I couldn't find any feature that was missing nor could I find anything that wasn't included in the product.

Reasons for choosing PingPlotter

Easy to implement, easy to use and was recommended by ISP engineers

Jonathan

May 2022

Super helpful for getting Cox to take my issue seriously

I've been having an extremely bizarre ping issue ever since signing up with Cox. The technicians hardly would have believed me if I didn't use PingPlotter to show them that the issue was happening as we spoke.

Pros

Does an excellent job of staying on in the background for weeks, with an easy to manipulate graph that can show patterns across multiple devices.

Cons

Any issues are probably me not knowing what certain features do

Colby

October 2022

Saved our clients from ISP runarounds

Pros

Ping Tracking, Connection monitioring, simple UI.

Cons

None that I can think of currently, everything works as intended.

Rob

Industry: Chemicals

August 2022

Easy to use and great tool

Pros

graphic view of pings and constant too!!

Cons

nothing i could find yet so I'm not sure

Rich

May 2022

if everything ran as well as PingPlotter

PingPlotter does what it says. But that's not all. In my two instances using PingPlotter, both times their technical support team offered not only help with product usage, but expert guidance and education to help me understand the nature of my issues. This went far beyond help. Even if another product delivered similar results, the quality of customer service is tops.

Pros

PingPlotter has solved both my ISP related issues AND my own semi-self-inflicted user error.

Cons

This is so minor that I almost don't want to mention it, but in an update using the cloud version, the UI changed enough that I needed help from their support team.

Homer

Identification of Internet Problems

I was having an issue with the loss of the internet 6-10 times a day. Each time it was for almost exactly 5 minutes. Frontier Communications sent out techs, they checked the lines - all good. One tech stated in the report that the problem was with my equipment and charged me $300 for his 2 hrs of research (he never even came into my house). After playing around I realized that my modem/router gateway indicated .3 ms even when the internet was down. However, each time the internet went down (not a disconnect) total packet loss occurred at the second hop (Frontier Office 40 miles away - regularly 19.6 ms) and was cascaded down all hops to .8.8.8.8. So I knew that the second hop was the problem but Frontier techs will not accept my diagnosis. I asked them to test their router/port, but they said they couldn't because the office was 40 miles away. So I am pretty sure I know what the problem is now, but I can't figure how to get the information to this office. Times down today 2/7/2019 7:30 AM, 8:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 3:15 PM, 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM, 8:30 PM, 9:30 PM, Midnight. Now that doesn't look a wiring issue to me! But at lease I now where the problem lies. Couldn't have solved this problem without PingPlotter

Pros

The manner in which the software charted and stored my data for future reference.

Cons

The tutorials were good, but for someone who knows little about the internet and networking would find it very difficult to understand what the software is telling you. I would recommend a more detailed component of the tutorial about different events and describe what they are seeing and what that is telling you. I would also recommend that it be written someone that was not associated with the development of the software, but by someone that is selected to learn PingPlotter and write it from a beginner's perspective. A person who is too close to the software will leave out things because they don't realize that beginners don't know and understand what the Pro takes for granted.

PingPlotter is a great replacement for the tiresome ping command

We use ping plotter when troubleshooting client networks. We use it quite a bit for basic ping and traceroute, but also for other issues - such as quality of service. By using PingPlotter, we are able to tweak hardware firewall rules to adjust throughput on network segments. We do this by adjusting rules while keeping notice of the latency visualization. For example, we have used PingPlotter to improve VOIP traffic by discovering unnecessary packet filtering.

Pros

The multi-connection capability of PingPlotter is definitely a strength. Combining ping with route information is also a key feature. Lastly, the visualization of data is much friendlier than just reading numbers. The strength of theses three together avoids the need for multiple command prompt windows to be open and also removes the guesswork out of keeping track of each.

Cons

The cost. It works very well, however, the cost (Professional Edition) is quite high.

Shariff

Great tool for troubleshooting connectivity

Pros

Ping Plotter allows me to very simply verify connectivity. or i can watch my equipment be unreachable. A lot of the time i can watch a device go up and down over 24 hours (it can do more, but thats generally all i get to, and My company(ISP) has equipment outside of our network. when they are having issues ping plotter is my first go to program. I can tell if another ISP or passthrough is having issues. This at times prompts me to make a route change, while other times its a call to that ISP to start a ticket. Ping Plotter has saved us many hours of troubleshooting and also allows us to show another ISP that the issues is theirs.

Cons

No budget as of yet to buy a newer version, company is still evaluating if their is a need to update to a newer version

Rick

Ping plotting

My internet connection is a different style of connection; point to point. I live in the country and am limited in the ISP that are available. And I try to online game, which is and can be quite the pain with connection issues. I have been having a lot of packet loss issues and was dropping out of my games at times. With ping plotter I was able to convince them that there is a problem, and it's on their side. They have corrected a few things, with more haggling with them in the future. I intend on subscribing so I can continue monitoring any issues that may arise. Thanks ping plotter.

Pros

This app has drastically helped me find where my packet loss was coming from. And with the ability to prove to my ISP, to where the problem is or was. As with most ISPS's, it take almost a act of god to prove its on their end of the internet. They have performed repairs up the line, which has improved but its not perfect, and I am still having issues, and with ping plotter I can see where its coming from. So, as far as a aid in being a helpful tool or app, I'd say its been great! Considering to get the pro edition for personal use.

Cons

Like anything, takes a bit to utilize all the add on's for a complete use of the app, but that's pretty normal.

Lucas