What are PRTG Network Monitor users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using PRTG Network Monitor software through verified user reviews

• icon"Ease of configuring custom monitoring and graphing of server metrics. Customer support was always easy to work with."
  • icon"It has a tree like structure in which devices can be arranged and connected to each other in a hierarchy. The magic map feature is a great option to view entire network at a glance."
  • icon"This is the Recommended software that I often use to monitor or improve the Information Technology infrastructure. Very easy to install, user friendly and supports mobile devices."
  • icon"So far the only inconvenience I have had is to create access for different users, by now we all use a web link but without autentication."
  • icon"Some sensors are complex making them hard to implement."
  • icon"Initial configuration for first time user may be a little confusing. Pricing is also on the high end."

Browse all PRTG Network Monitor Reviews

• Have you used PRTG Network Monitor and would like to share your experience with others?

Florian

April 2016

That really made my Day!

First of all: Actually (April 2016) the product is free for up to 100 Sensors! I was searching for an easy solution to monitor the internetconnection of one of my customers from outside. They sporadically experienced strange bandwidth problems and the cable provider didn't solve the problem within months. So while searching for an easy to install and use monitoring (simple ping) solution I found PRTG from Paessler in Nuremberg. I 've heard of it before as the Windows based alternative to Nagios. What can I say: I expected a solid Dice Game and ended up in Las Vegas! Installed withing minutes on a small Celeron machine running Windows 7. This runs the core Server and the Probe. You create Groups within the Windows (or Browserbased) Desktop. Within those Groups you create Devices and Sensors (Ping, HTTP, FTP, NTP, SIP, SMTP, SNMP Switch Traffic, ... and I'd say hundreds of others) at Locations you can define and are shown on a map. A configurable HTTPS allows secure Browser and mobile APP access. I use the one for my Windows phone that shows me my favorite (customer) Sensors directly. Automatically scan your Network (that might create a lot of Devices and Sensors, especially when you are using SNMP ready Switches, but don't worry, just pause them before you run out of your licenses). Monitor Switch Traffic if you wonder how long the Windows 10 updates disturb your other Machines. You can install remote Probes in other networks to monitor them and still collect all data on one central monitoring server. PS: In the end, the cable provider changed the modem after I sent them several times very clear screenshots from PRTG where you could see the 1800 ms echos all three weeks instead of 32 ms the rest of the time.

Pros

Very good structure and overview of your devices and systems load, usage, availability and traffic Easy install and use. No deep knowledge of MIB, RMON, LINUX or SNMP necessary Free for small environments Very Flexible (google 'prtg netatmo' for an impression :) Be aware and informed about uprising problems (Mail, SMS, Mobile) You literally see what your users experience

Cons

Really! I have been thinking, but didn't find that much. Rather ... nothing? OK, one: you need a Windows system. That might be an issue for some.

Sachin

Simple & Powerful Monitoring tool,feature oriented,reliable sensors

Notifications and mail alerts for minute attributes in all devices rescue us from major hardware or network issues and reduce downtime to a large extent.

Pros

User-friendly dashboard, Easy to configure. High quality sensor reporting, Can monitor almost all server platforms, Networking devices, an awesome product.

Cons

Nothing much to say, almost perfect. The only suggestion is to make it budget-friendly for medium-level customers.

Reasons for choosing PRTG Network Monitor

PRTG was more user-friendly and Professional compared to others.

Reasons for switching to PRTG Network Monitor

More user-friendly, and notification delivery was much better compared to Observium.

Response from Paessler

Dear Sachin, Thank you for leaving us a review! We are happy that you are enjoying PRTG and we love hearing about how you are using it. Cheers, Paessler AG

Ali

prtg monitoring tool

Thanks to the prtg product, I can monitor my network devices with snmp. With the e-mail notifications coming to my phone, I quickly get information from the devices or ports that are down and I can intervene. I realized that with prtg my job became easier.

Pros

With OID numbers, it can monitor the status of the hardware found on the device. It is informed by the determined threshold value. PRTG product can be easily managed due to its compatibility with all brands and devices. We monitor it by integrating it with the switch router access point devices we use.

Cons

I would like to make visual monitoring by creating the topologies of the sensors I created, this subject can be developed. There is nothing difficult about the product. It is also easy to integrate with our business processes.

Response from Paessler

Dear Ali, Thank you for leaving us a review! We are happy that you are enjoying PRTG and we love hearing about how you are using it. Cheers, Paessler AG

April 2022

Easy to implement, web based and nearly agent less monitoring

It was easy to install and manage, it's helpling a lot with monitoring and alerting and it's aeasy to use. Also to adapt or tweak thresholds is very easy.

Pros

It's very easy to implement and for a lot of the user cases it does not need an agent or software to be installed

Cons

For well known Enterprise Products e.g. VMWare VCenter there are only limited intergration available.

Reasons for switching to PRTG Network Monitor

Icinga was to complicated to setup and to use.

Response from Paessler

Thanks for sharing your review with us and the community! Cheers, Paessler AG

Greg

Industry: Food Production

July 2022

PRTG Network Monitor

Pros

Easy to deploy, start out with a free tier to get to know the product and the data it can provide.

Cons

Importing MIBs for odd products and getting the right scales kb vs MB is sometimes a chore. Their support is great to help out.

Reasons for switching to PRTG Network Monitor

Parent company used PRTG and it had more features at the time.

Response from Paessler

Dear Greg, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this review! Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied July 2022

Industry: Packaging and Containers

May 2022

Easy to use network monitor program

I love this tool because it is so easy to setup. Very user friendly and free license with 100 nodes.

Pros

This is a very easy software to implement. It also provide 100 nodes for free license. You can implement it within 30 minutes.

Cons

The free license is limited to 100 nodes.

PRTG is easier to use

Reasons for switching to PRTG Network Monitor

I like to try different product

Response from Paessler

Dear John, Thank you for leaving us a review! Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied June 2022

Pedro

April 2022

Melhor interface visual para monitoramento

Melhorou muito a identificação e visualização de falhas e informações da topologia, fácil instalação e configuração dos sensores de forma automatizada.

Pros

Mapas e dashboards funcionais e intuitivos.

Cons

Valor um pouco alto para novos recursos.

Reasons for choosing PRTG Network Monitor

Não foi necessário especialista em Linux dedicado para instalação e suporte.

Reasons for switching to PRTG Network Monitor

Melhorar a visualização da topologia e identificação rápida de falhas.

Response from Paessler

Dear Pedro, Thank you very much for your review! Cheers, Paessler AG

Wim

Real life detailed monitoring

Once you get to know this software, it's easy to manage the assets and subcomponents.

Pros

The fact that you can create public available maps with monitoring data, let's you embed this into e.g. confluence pages.

Cons

A rather steep learning curve in how to setup check that really matter.

Reasons for choosing PRTG Network Monitor

At that time, making a part of the monitored data public available was an issue and the fact that PRTG had a free plan for up to 100 checks.

Response from Paessler

Dear Wim, Thanks for sharing your review with us and the community! Have a look to our how-to guides to get the most out of PRTG. Cheers, Paessler AG

mesut

The conveniences of PRTG

Pros

With Prtg thresholds, we can see instant increases in traffic levels. In addition, by determining the threshold value for the CPU ram temperature values of the devices, more stable operation of the devices is ensured.

Cons

When we want to upload the MIB files of some devices, it is a bit of a hassle to add them through the server.

Response from Paessler

Dear Mesut, Thank you very much for your review! Cheers, Paessler AG

Johannes

Industry: Information Services

August 2022

Monitoring with onboard resources

we are very satisfied with the product. the support is very helpful in almost all cases. the product is scalable and can handle a wide range of notifications.

Pros

prtg uses onboard resources and no lokal agent.

Cons

there is a lack of a good priced solution for small environments

Response from Paessler

Dear Johannes, Thank you for leaving us a review! Cheers, Paessler AG

Irakli

Industry: Oil & Energy

Good product

Good solution for monitoring network performance. You can customize dashboard as you need, create sensors which you need and it happens very easy. Everything works without any bugs. Strongly recommend.

Pros

- Very good and intuitive interface. - Possibility of creation of huge amount of sensors. - Has big quantity of features. For example, Syslog, NetFlow. - Possibility of creations very customizable Dashboards.

Cons

- Price per-sensor is quite high - Not all necessary sensors are built in. For example, BGP peering sensors.

Response from Paessler

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this review! We love hearing about how you are using it. We are continuing to develop PRTG and you will be able to use all new sensors in the future without additional licensing costs. Thank you for recommending us! Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied January 2021

Keith

September 2022

Great product for small to mid size organisations

Really positive - it will transform what you think you know to actually what you can see and act on.

Pros

The quick setup and ability to monitor small to mid size environments very quickly. If you are a small business with less than 100 end points then this is the go to product as you get the first 100 devices free

Cons

It can be a bit of info overload and you can very quickly run out of devices (under the 100 free) very quickly so have to be quite specific as to what you want to monitor

Response from Paessler

Dear Keith, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this review. Cheers, Paessler AG

Felipe

Excellent tool to monitor and classify the bandwidth of the network.

I use PRTG on a daily basis in the company, which has helped me to quickly and easily verify the behavior of the network and that I can view it from anywhere via the web.

Pros

* I can know what applications are causing high traffic. * I like the simplicity of its interface, which allows me to configure the monitoring sensors, as well as create reports of bandwidth usage for each one. * The web interface with the I can give access to the visualization of the graphics and tables to the other members of my telecommunications team.

Cons

PRTG is a software that I use daily and continuously in my work as a network analyst and I have not been inconvenienced, just keep improving it every day. The only thing I can suggest is that they launch a native version for Linux systems.

Adrian

September 2022

Perfect in connection with iLert

I am using it to monitor uptime of several servers, services and also more exotic features such as age of backups.

Pros

- It allows me to reliably monitor dozens of aspects about my servers. - It lets me fix problems proactively instead of being notified about problems by my customers. - It lets me sleep in peace knowing that everything is ok.

Cons

- Alerting could be more reliable and more versatile, I am using iLert for that

Response from Paessler

Dear Adrian, Thanks for sharing your review with us and the community! Cheers, Paessler AG

Thierry

PRTG review

Servers availability + capacity planning + backup surveillance (using email)

Pros

Easy to use - live notifications - easy to setup

Cons

The functionnalities are for the moent sufficient for us so nothing special.

Reasons for choosing PRTG Network Monitor

I already used the product at my previous job and I was very happy.

Response from Paessler

Dear Thierry, Thanks for sharing your review with us and the community! Cheers, Paessler AG

Mohamed

May 2022

One of the most powerful infrastructure monitoring software

A good experience and I recommend using it, as it is one of the most powerful network monitoring software, but the free version must be tried to ensure that it works in a manner commensurate with the network and the work environment.

Pros

The large number of monitoring operations on the servers and the availability of options to monitor and clarify cloud services in detail It is an integrated control panel and you can control the number of seconds and services of the machine And it divides them for you into categories such as the machines that are hosted on the ESXI and puts them in a separate group and so on. The interface is excellent, clear and fast, unlike some other programs It is characterized by its work on the local server without the need for a separate machine.

Cons

A little slow in the hardware check process Guidance messages cover some important buttons, which prevents them from being noticed. Some errors are not clear, such as when I ask to monitor the Memory and Hardisk, the error is not clear if it is in the Port or the Authentication process or even the Firewall, so I hope to detail the errors to facilitate their solution. There is no monitoring of Ping in the form of a list and the form of a tree, it is difficult to monitor all devices on one page.

Reasons for switching to PRTG Network Monitor

Because it suits our work environment more, but I would not say that it is better.

Response from Paessler

Dear Mohamed, Thanks for sharing your review with us and the community! Have a look at our support section on our homepage. Here you will find many useful tips and tricks to help you get the most out of PRTG. Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied June 2022

The software you want monitoring your network

Fantastic, we can proactively monitor connections and equipment, often we are working on fixing it before the end users know it is broken

Pros

Easy to use, reliable, can email or text about alerts, can execute scripts etc. Able to monitor snmp, pings, https and all sorts of things.

Cons

It is licensed by sensor, so you can easily run out of you monitor everything, you'll need to be careful to only monitor what you need to

Ease of use

Response from Paessler

Dear David, thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this review. We are happy that PRTG supports you and your team that well. Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied January 2020

Stephen

The Pulse of your infrastructure

As mentioned, once you know what you want to monitor, and put in the work of setting it up within PRTG, you'll have your finger on the pulse of your infrastructure. Over the years it has helped me track down failing disks, failing server power supplies as well as advance alerting of capacity issues within my infrastructure. This is in addition to ongoing tasks like monitoring OS updates across the Infrastructure. Where I've had to deal with support, even though I might not always get an answer I'd like, I've been happy with the services provided. The PRTG Roadmap is clear about the direction PRTG is being expanded in. My PRTG dashboard (Map) is the first thing I open in the morning.

Pros

-Breadth of sensor types available. I can monitor almost everything in my infrastructure, from Azure to 365 to on prem, Server and network Hardware, Windows / linux services and OS data. -Very customisable in how the above is monitored and Alerted upon -Easy Creation of Dashboards and Libraries of particular sensor types, for instant visibility.

Cons

-Some areas have yet to come to PRTG for example - Azure AKS monitoring, K8s monitoring. -Takes time to mould it into doing what you want (but once you've put in the work it is truly excellent) -Some parts of the GUI could have better multi editing capabilities for sensors.

Response from Paessler

Dear Stephan, we're happy that you're happy! Thanks for leaving us a review! Cheers, Paessler AG

Zandre

Network Monitoring Master

The platform allows you to easily communicate to customers regarding the fault/s being investigated. This software use to be the preferred monitoring for our core environment.

Pros

This software allows the user to monitor a wide variety of different sensors on a large scale customizable equipment spec. The graphs are easily manipulated and can benefit the user by visualizing the fault/issue being investigated.

Cons

My company has since parted with the software due to other systems being more cost affective however, I still believe it should be good value for your buck considering the features are getting.

Company cost-effective re-strategy.

Response from Paessler

Dear Zandre, Thank you for leaving us a review! It's a pity that you don't (can't) use PRTG anymore. If we could support you in any way, please feel free to contact us at any time! Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied January 2022

Brock

My go-to monitoring solution for almost 10 years

I have been extremely happy with PRTG for the close to 10 years that I have used it. It has been extremely reliable, which is paramount for a tool you are using to monitor your entire network.

Pros

I love how easy it is to get rolled out and customized to work for pretty much anything with an IP Address. Real-time and historical data that is provided in PRTG is invaluable.

Cons

While this is not necessarily it's intended purpose, the Syslog/SNMP sensors could use some work to make it easier to use them as a collector/trap for historical logs.

Reasons for choosing PRTG Network Monitor

More polished product. Ease of use. Price. Cleaner interface. Recommendations from others.

Response from Paessler

Dear Brock, Thank you for leaving us this review. We are happy that you are enjoying PRTG and we love hearing about how you are using it. Cheers, Paessler AG

Reski

PRTG is simplified my work Everyday.

PRTG can do Monitor all systems, devices, traffic and applications of your IT infrastructure. Everything you need, and don't expect more for custom weekly / monthly reports

Pros

This is the Recommended software that I often use to monitor or improve the Information Technology infrastructure. Very easy to install, user friendly and supports mobile devices. It can detect our problems quickly. We can check all critical Service Application components on the bus :)

Cons

This software does not yet have a weekly custom report for audit needs, so we do a manual retrieval :(

Reasons for choosing PRTG Network Monitor

Budget, Easy to install, user friendly and supports mobile devices

Response from Paessler

Dear Reski, thank you for leaving us a review! Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied October 2019

Irfan

Network & Bandwidth Monitoring Tool

Good Product to monitor your networks but for huge network its not sufficient, but for normal networks its good to notify and other feature are very good i-e up time, alert system and cluster fail-over solutions , in the last PRTG interface must be need improvments.

Pros

Its a Simple Software to Monitor Network and bandwidth user, application wise. Monitoring & Manage all applications in details statistics in network, Correct Up-time/downtime for devices. *Flexible alerting (different types or Alert are available in this product) Cluster fail-over solution

Cons

Interface is no good and creating huddles in configurations, automatically connection between links is unavailable. Cluster fail-over solution not so good.

Pricing licensing

Response from Paessler

Thank you for leaving us a review! Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied March 2020

Jeremiah

Great monitoring software

we use this on a daily basis to monitor disk space, memory usage, and cpu load for various servers and machines. the dashboards with clear warnings combined with email notifications give us a clear picture of trouble spots.

Pros

The free version of PRTG network monitor that comes with 100 sensors allows you to do an in-depth analysis of the sensors available, notifications, architecture, monitoring capabilities etc... to determine if it meets your company's needs. The graphical interfaces, intuitive dashboards, and ease of setup and creating templates and inheritance across devices and types allows for easy use and administration.

Cons

it can get expensive the more devices and sensors you continue to add to the platform so use your trial to evaluate wisely how you will implement and for what types of devices. the auto discovery can be nice but also tends to clutter up things.

Replied November 2020

Ryan

PRTG Feature and Functionality in summary

The application has helped us monitor all types of equipment and proactively resolve issues early.

Pros

This monitoring application has helped us stay on track of what is happening at every corner and for every device on our network, from Storage to network, security and usage statistics and notifications for each, this application has saved us many times in restoring and fixing problems before they get noticed by end users. From our desk and our our phones using the app, we can monitor and get visibility into many device types, including Cisco, Linux, storage systems, Microsoft operating systems just to name a few, with thousands of sensors to choose from. Very powerful and constantly improving.

Cons

While just a few sensors were not performing well, like the Ping 30 for Cisco 1900 routers, PRTG has constantly released new updates that once applied, these issues are rectified.

Response from Paessler

Hi Ryan, Thank you for your review! Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied January 2019

Ivan

PRTG monitoring software

We are monitoring our complete infrastructure, from network switches and routers, over servers to virtualized infrastructure and storage's.

Pros

Helped us many time with alert so our infrastructure did not go down.

Cons

I would like more vendor specific alerts to be included like Fortinet,

Reasons for choosing PRTG Network Monitor

Better GUI, more stable application, easy to use and less hardware resources needed. Better probe for automatic search.

Response from Paessler

Dear Ivan, thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. Cheers, Paessler AG

Replied August 2019