What are WhatsUp Gold users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using WhatsUp Gold software through verified user reviews

• icon"Ive used this product over 20 years. The last five years has seen this product grow and stabilize, with very good customer service."
  • icon"Netflow integration, alert notifications, ease of use."
  • icon"Goes without saying that it is easy to implement, intuitive and easy to manage. Dashboards and views are."
  • icon"The thing that I like least about the software is the inability of the administrator to manage other users views. And the lack of an anonymous view."
  • icon"The UI and UX is terrible. The dashboards you can create are extremely limiting."
  • icon"Adding non-default alerts seem to be a little more difficult than should be."

Browse all WhatsUp Gold Reviews

• Have you used WhatsUp Gold and would like to share your experience with others?

Jaime Isai

June 2022

WhatsUp Gold best Network Monitoring System

Excellent experience, I can't complaint. It's a must have tool for every organization to perform a better approach in advance and to have a full network visibility.

Pros

It is easy to implement and use. It enables you to map all of your network devices and access them thru it. It helps you to have a full visibility of all of your network. You can also set the performance alerts at your critical devices as servers, switches, routers and firewalls. It helps you to get the bandwidth monitoring by devices and applications.

Cons

It will be great to have a full library of MIBs for all network security devices and not having to look by each brand site.

Reasons for choosing WhatsUp Gold

I had a previous experience working with WhatsUpGold in the past and knew that it was the best monitoring tool in the market and its well rated at Gartner.

Industry: Farming

WhatsUp Gold Replaces Monitoring Service

WhatsUP gold is monitoring the same things, if not more, than an IT services company was doing for about $500/mo. This saved us a huge amount of money in the long run and was totally worth the configuration issues we had.

Pros

Customizable to monitor only the network parts/components that we wanted monitored. Able to set it to send email and SMS (via email) alerts to multiple users.

Cons

Network discovery was a bit slow and clunky. After a network change we had to delete the current monitors and do a complete re-scan or it doubled up the devices.

Reasons for choosing WhatsUp Gold

At the time, we really liked the interface and configuration option. Pricing was similar.

Lerrin

Whats Up Gold

Overall experience with WUG has been great.

Pros

Once it is setup, it keeps working without issues.

Cons

Setting up new alerts can be challenging.

Reasons for choosing WhatsUp Gold

I am not sure which other products were evaluated, the purchase was before my time with the company.

Evan

WhatsUp Gold

It has been a positive one. I have used WUG for about 7 years now.

Pros

Configuration Management, Monitoring and the Dashboards.

Cons

The reporting is lacking as I feel like it hasn't been updated in some time. The manner in which reports are sent via email can be sloppy at times and the actual reporting options are limited.

Reasons for choosing WhatsUp Gold

WhatsUp Gold met all of our needs.

Reasons for switching to WhatsUp Gold

The cost with Solarwinds is by a per port basis. Which can get extremely expensive.

August 2022

Basic monitoring tool with some nice features

Pros

I like the custom Monitors that can be created. We ran powershell scripts against the server and returned the results

Cons

The navigation was confusing and the set up to get the monitors going was tedious.

Tom

Legacy WUG user

We are proactively monitoring network, server and application infrastructure in a way that allows for pro-active maintenance and reporting. It allows us to view and manage IT assets easily, I only wish I had more time to utilize more of it's features.

Pros

It provides a nice visual representation of the health of your IT infrastructure environment and allows for the easy drilling down into details that are needed. It is full of features and information and allows for proactive monitoring.

Cons

Nothing specifically at this time.

Reasons for choosing WhatsUp Gold

It provides comprehensive monitoring tools and information for the price.

Doug

March 2022

WhatsUp Gold Application Review

Pros

WhatsUp Gold is easy to use and gives us great visibility into our Network and Servers. The discovery of devices has been very helpful. The alerts and reporting have been very helpful.

Cons

It took a little while to learn to navigate the software but once you learn the layout you can move around quickly and find the information needed.

Reasons for switching to WhatsUp Gold

WhatUp Gold had the features we needed at a better cost point.

Forest

What's Good is Gold

Outstanding with great support.

Pros

WUG is an all around good monitoring software. Easy installation and easy configuration. Very informative alerting

Cons

Small issue but would like more control over color schemes

Greg

Industry: Packaging and Containers

September 2022

Whatsup Gold, worth it's weight in .......

great company to work with, great support

Pros

Easy to use, good graphical interface to give you info quickly

Cons

no downsides to it. SOftware is easy to deploy and use.

Justin

August 2022

Pros

Allows me to perform my job in a timely manner.

Cons

Logging of users could use some help.

Ronnie

August 2022

Good product, Great Service.

It is good; we work with a third party to help with purchases and renewals but have also gotten great support directly.

Pros

Reliability, it is always up and doing its job.

Cons

Upgrades, i think the upgrade process has some room for growth.

Kristina

Industry: Machinery

WhatsUp Gold Review

After everything was set up, we have had almost no issues. The customer support is great and the reps are great. The software has free updates which is awesome and the community board is very helpful. I would recommend this product to any IT environment that is looking for network monitoring solution.

Pros

It fits exactly what we need it to do. Monitor our devices and send us alerts when there is an issue. The schematic is also very helpful because we have it broken down into locations and grouped together to make things easier to use. It is also very helpful to put in all the information we have into the details of the device so that its all in one place. It helps us stay organized!

Cons

The set up was atrocious. We had to run a scan like 6 times to find everything. Eventually I had to add things in one by one which took forever. It is not simple to use. You have to really understand the icons and how things are linked within the software. I wished there was better documentation and videos about this. Especially with the setup. The whole installation and setup was a nightmare.

Reasons for choosing WhatsUp Gold

It had everything we wanted (feature wise) and the price was good. The demo we had was awesome and sold us on the product. I worked with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who was exceptional at getting us the info we wanted and helping us see that this product was what we wanted. She was overall amazing.

Reasons for switching to WhatsUp Gold

It was absurdly expensive.

RJ

wug 17&18 has an overall better interface that is responsive, a few minor fixes will make it aweso

Pros

The device cards are a nice addition; quickly access common features. Creating dashboard is much easier now than in previous version; more flexible. I like how things are now grouped together, e.g. accessing logs you don't have to go to 3-4 different locations. Searching for devices is great!

Cons

Device roles and discovery could use some work. need to be able finding monitors in library is cumbersome, need a way to search or jump alphabetically Device types were remove, new versions don't support changing OS type Need a way to create dynamic HTTPS content monitor, meaning you could hit an address like so : http://%device.Hostname/NmConsole (hostname is not supported, only address) HTTPS TCP monitors only support SSL TLS 1.0 I spend a lot of time hitting F5 to refresh the browser because the change I just made is not reflected. you can drag and drop devices - need an easier way to manage groups. Need a way to pin favorite groups in navigation pane. When you are on device status page from my network you have to click back button 3-4 times to return to the my network page. Would like to see more youtube videos on how to use the newer version; would be a great way to deliver user training. I would like the ability to delete a device from the devices properties page.

Response from Ipswitch

Hi, Thanks so much for the kind words! We're delighted that you're enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you're using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmaOx9MsMEQ. If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

Replied June 2018

Ray

WUG CRA Experience

Alerting and allowing us to be proactive on issues is main focus and WUG has allowed my team to accomplish that goal. Reporting/automating reports and providing different practices within CRA the option of personalized dashboards to gauge performance has been a favorite offering from IT to our end users.

Pros

Goes without saying that it is easy to implement, intuitive and easy to manage. Dashboards and views are ++++

Cons

been using WUG for over 10years and have brought in to 3 different companies i've worked for---to date, i haven't found anything I dislike.

Reasons for choosing WhatsUp Gold

full transparency--- I LIKE IT! but with my previous exposure, it's become easier for me to format presentation to upper management when making recommendations.

Reasons for switching to WhatsUp Gold

I felt Naggios was very archaic both from implementation phase to operational phase. Discovery was clunky and was all or nothing. With WUG you can discover all or base it on subnet/ip ranges. Naggios was not intuitive as is WUG

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Jim

Industry: Medical Devices

One of the best Monitoring products available

I monitor all critical objects such as CPU, memory, disk and response time. I am also monitoring critical services such as SQL, Rapid Recovery to name a few. One of the main benefits is receiving an email alert before or when a device is down so we can avoid tons of tickets from users.

Pros

I have been using What'sUp Gold network monitoring for years. I was first introduced to the product in 2003. My company at the time was using Solarwinds which I found to be not very user friendly. So I did some research and found What'sUP Gold. Out of the box it was easy to implement and provided much more clarity and features. It provides me with a proactive approach for when any monitored device hits a predetermined threshold. Absolutely love it.

Cons

There isn't much I don't like about the product.

Reasons for switching to WhatsUp Gold

Better features and more user friendly

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for being a long time valued customer and for your positive review!

Replied October 2020

Brian

Industry: Utilities

Reliable and easy to use network monitoring software

We have been using WhatsUp as our network monitoring solution for over a decade now, and have found it to be easy to configure and maintain, and pricing was very competitive. We haven't needed to utilize product support more than a couple of times, and they were very responsive and helpful when needed.

Pros

SNMP and WMI monitoring alerts for monitored devices and services are reliable and easy to configure. Alert Center keeps us up to date on device status. Logs are collected and able to be accessed from one location. The software provides a variety of ways to group devices, and a lot of customizability for various monitors and alerts.

Cons

The mobile app was a nice addition to the platform, however is very basic and could use a lot of improvements to turn it into a useful monitoring and administration tool.

Network Performance Monitor

Glenn

Excellent product however lately they are advertising features that are not working

It provides us an overall health of the environment and provides great alerting tool.

Pros

The interface is nice and customizable. Upgrading to new versions are very simple. The overall alert monitoring is great. They continue to add in new features to keep up with the overall demanding IT infrastructure. Working with their technical and product teams are great as they listen to your issues and/or suggestions and look to add new features by communicating to their customers on their sprints.

Cons

As of late the Whats Up Gold Plus product is not delivering based on what has been communicated to their customers. I attended a conference where IPSwitch stated their WhatsUp Gold product supported Microsoft Azure, Dell Compellent Storage and Wireless APs. When we implemented the product it only supports a small piece of Azure that requires Servers and not WebApps/Sites. In addition, the Dell Compellent provides incorrect measurements which is now being looked at on their technical team because there are issues with their release. On the AP Support it is stating they cannot read into our Cisco Airnet APs which are very standard. This too is a feature request. I like the product but for the cost I would expect these types of features to work.

March 2022

Solid Monitoring and Reporting

very positive - good support

Pros

Easy to set up, good support, good add-ons

Cons

not intuitive menus - setting up notifications takes some practice - many good features are hidden

Pricing and support

Reasons for switching to WhatsUp Gold

Pricing and ease of setup

Dustin

WhatsUpGold is a great tool for monitoring the status of your network.

We mainly benefit from the alerts system that will notify all specified employees via text/email whenever a part of our network goes down. Typically we will know something is down before our users even notice the problem.

Pros

The alerts are where WhatsUpGold really shines. They are all fully customizable and once they're setup to your specifications they work like a dream. A majority of the time we will know when something on the network goes down before our users even notice the problem!

Cons

This product can do so many different things it becomes a little overwhelming. Once alerts are setup they work great, but the configuration process can get pretty confusing if you haven't done it before. Online training videos on how to configure certain features would be a great tool.

Response from Ipswitch

Hi and thanks so much for the kind words! We¿re delighted that you¿re enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you¿re using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2lCWFrs4paSSNpe1JnTnQ If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community at commmunity.ipswitch.com for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

Replied June 2018

Logan

December 2021

Mid-level monitoring platform that works

Overall we've had a great experience with WUG. During the Solarwinds hack we were looking for an emergency replacement for our monitoring platform. We were able to get a WUG server set up and going, monitoring all of our systems, within a week. Moving over to WUG has generally been a great experience, with little overhead managing the system. The price was right, as well.

Pros

This product is easy to set up and has minimum specs - we monitor nearly a thousand systems and sites using just one WUG server. This product doesn't have bolt-on applications that makes it hard to manage and upgrade down the road. This product has a lot of value for the money.

Cons

No API interface available for automation of monitoring. No complex alert logic or recovery notification options available. Minimum features (plays into some of the Pros, however).

Solarwinds hack, 2020.

Dustin

Robust and streamlined monitoring

WUG has been a solid piece of our network for years now, their support team is great and the product does everything we need it to do and more. It is reasonably priced for what you get.

Pros

We mostly use WhatsUp for server and service monitoring but we also use it for configuration management on the majority of our network devices, Netflow Analysis, and Application monitoring. For years WUG has been a solid investment and the constant flow of updates keeps adding new features with every release. With the ability to create your own custom monitors and actions WUG will let you do almost anything you can think of.

Cons

Because it is so customizable there is a lot to do to make use of the full capabilities of WUG. It would also be nice to see external integrations via an API of some sort bring able to quickly pull info from WUG using a Slack or Teams bot would be handy. An enhancement of the reporting capabilities such as embedded dashboards allowing users to present information from WUG on other websites and services would help admins present WUG information to customers more easily.

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Steve

Simple and easy to use

I have had positive experiences with WhatsUpGold. The sales staff and tech support are friendly and knowledgeable.

Pros

This software is simple and easy to use. The alerts it gives the I.S. Department are very valuable in that we have so much infrastructure it would be very difficult to monitor all of it in real time. WhatsUpGold makes that task much easier and often lets us know when there is an issue before we would be informed otherwise.

Cons

There is so much information sent to I.S. it could fill up your mailbox pretty quickly if you don't keep on top of it.

Price and capability.

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Thomas

April 2022

WhatsUp Gold Analysis

Overall, WUG has been a very positive experience with more positives than negatives. It has alerted us of issues before our customers are aware of them. It has allowed us to create baselines on uptime.

Pros

This is an inexpensive way to look at your network and get notifications of when you have issues. It also allows you to obtain an inventory of your products. It can take advantage of SNMPv3.

Cons

You can have issues with the requirement to delete and recreate objects to get new inventory. This means replying all the rules again.

Reasons for choosing WhatsUp Gold

The cost and benefits of the solution.

Mike

Always Improving, Some Layer 2 Problems

Adequate tool for monitoring and sending alerts to the IT members, with escalations if not resolved

Pros

It is mostly reliable. Great scan engine, intuitive, maintenance mode with time limits, lots of great features

Cons

Layer 2 auto-maps are not reliable. I have opened several tickets and these problems never get resolved. If this feature worked reliably it would be a huge time saver.

Reasons for choosing WhatsUp Gold

Too busy to evaluate and switch

Response from Progress Software

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Replied October 2020

Dorian

Industry: Utilities

Great program for monitoring and maintaining your IT infrastructure

Pros

Basic installation and configuration of WUG is very easy. Out of the box, there are many monitors that can be set up without a large amount of experience. The titles and tooltips make setting up the initial software package very simple.

Cons

Adding non-default alerts seem to be a little more difficult than should be.

Reasons for switching to WhatsUp Gold

Value vs cost. Features were more extensive and ease of use was greater.

4.43/5 out of 203 reviews