Browse Otter Reviews

Zaiba from Quadrant Resources

One of the Best Transcription Softwares

One of the best tools I have used so far. Otter has a restricted range of capabilities, but it excels at what it does. Otter will assist you in many ways and save you time if you're seeking for a simple approach to take notes during a business call or if you're an author wanting to publish a book.

Pros

1.When I first used Otter I was amazed by its accuracy and the way it interpreted multiple sounds and speakers. 2. Export options are essential for transforming your podcast, video, or other content into a blog post or recycled content. 3.Price is reasonable, and even the cheapest subscription plan provides a significant amount of transcription time. 4. It takes relatively little time to upload and transcribe recordings.

Cons

1. Earlier the site would give 600 minutes of free transcription services every month which was helpful for beginners to get started, now that option is reduced to only 3 imports. 2. The main drawback is that while an individual can create a folder under their account, they cannot share it with other members of the group or with extra work email accounts. 3. The editor's quick keys are weird. Frequently, I discovered that a key did two things at once when I only wanted it to do one.

Mark from Live Manchester

Industry: Online Media

Generally accurate transcription and easy to use service

Overall, I'm happy with Otter. It has sped up my work tenfold - instead of having to sight and transcribe interviews for an hour and a half I'm able to get it automatically transcribed in no time and then just spend 10-15 minutes cleaning it up. Excellent product - accuracy is good, speed is good and usability is excellent.

Pros

Otter is incredibly easy to use, where in 'live transcription' or recorded transcription. The transcription itself is generally accurate. There are mistakes (I'd be astounded if there weren't) but it gets the transcription generally correct and then it is a pretty easy process to skim through it and edit the text as appropriate (editing is an absolute breeze!)

Cons

The payment tiers are a little restrictive - you don't get much for free with the service.

Reasons for Switching to Otter

Cost. Going through a formal transcription service was costing too much and transcribing myself was too time consuming - switching to Otter saved significant amounts of time and money and kept the transcription to a generally high standard.

Mary from Dallas Doing Good

Industry: Online Media

Essential for our interviews

As a nonprofit media organization with a team of volunteer reporters, Otter makes it easy for us to capture every interview and get stories written in an efficient way.

Pros

Otter works seamlessly as a desktop or mobile app, making recording and transcription available wherever our reporters may be.

Cons

Otter recently reduced the free version of the software to 30 minutes of transcription, rather than 45.

December 2021

December 2021

Lacking in implementation

Pros

The note taking feature to transcribe the zoom call

Cons

Constantly disconnects from zoom. Says it records but doesn’t

Great for the Classroom

Pros

I am a second career student and can't remember things as well as I used to. I user Otter to record my classes and then listen to the parts I struggled to remember. It works out great, even if I am not sitting in the front row. Even when the transcription isn't before because of uncommon words, the audio is strong enough to allow me to override the text.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the transcription can take a while. I synced my calendar, but it started picking up things I didn't want to record and became annoying, so I disconnected it.

Danielle from Danielle Nocon

Awesome Transcription Tool

Overall I've been very impressed with Otter. I tested a few apps for transcribing my client's podcast and Otter did a much better job than the others.

Pros

I tested multiple apps on the same recording and the accuracy of Otter's auto-generated transcript was amazing - MUCH better than the others. The speaker had a British accent which is notoriously challenging for transcription tools. But Otter hardly had any problems with it. Otter also did not drop words when the podcast intro/outro music was playing, which was another problem I had with other apps. One more pleasant surprise was that Otter automatically ignored filler words. The editing workflow was pretty smooth for the relatively minor correcting I need to do.

Cons

One feature that I missed - and that the other transcription apps had - was global find and replace, which is a common feature in word processing tools. For instance, if a name has an unusual spelling and the speaker repeats it multiple times in the recording, I should be able to change all instances with the click of a button. You just tell the software what to look for and what to change it to. Another feature that someone looking for an all-in-one tool might miss is the ability to edit the recording itself.

Fraser from Advertising ROI

Otter is fantastic

Great experience with Otter. I use the app to record myself dictating content into my phone when I walk as I combine exercise with content marketing and I also use it to record conversations with clients to easily turn the knowledge in their heads easily into written content.

Pros

It just works so well. The quality of transcription is great even with my Scottish accent which sometimes troubles transcription software and the app works so well too.

Cons

Nothing, honestly. And the fact that it as such a great free level makes it insane value. It is easy to use and extremely accurate.

Reasons for Choosing Otter

I haven't needed to look at others much though I do use them.

Zahra from QZ Global

Nothing Beats Otter AI

I discovered Otter AI back in 2019 and i haven't had a reason to uninstall it. I think the best thing about it is that you can begin recording and then the app continues to transcribe it in the background. So while i love the accuracy of transcription, i enjoy the recording feature as well. In fact I remember a client of mine said something about 16 thousand but when i read the transcription it was written as 60 thousand and I was like, this must be a mistake so I heard the audio and yes! it was 60 thousand and because i couldnt believe it, so i asked the client again to confirm if it was sixteen or sixty and he said "oh yea yea its sixty"... i'm not planning to move away from Otter AI

Pros

The transcription feature is so amazing! I have used it so many times to understand what the client meeting was all about especially when building proposals.

Cons

Have yet to find a problem in the app. I mean it has a quick widget on iOS also!

samuel from samysam

Industry: Graphic Design

No hassle, No learning curve, Just transcriptions

It's been nothing but fun. It's so simple to use and there's nothing to it. Just upload your files and the app does the rest.

Pros

I noticed there were few errors in my transcripts so that's a plus considering the fact it's using an A.I technology mechanism It renews my free trial with free transcription credits every month. This is insane value If you are on a budget. It's important for me to focus on my client's pain points and this app helps to search specific keywords in Zoom conversation recordings that I have with my clients. I don't like taking notes so this feature was helpful.

Cons

It's still is an A.I so the possibility of margin of errors abounds. I tried transcribing my voice but the app got some words horribly wrong.

Meghan from Tribeca NW Real Living

Perfect for college students & work meetings

Overall, I think it’s a super helpful tool for people who need notes and audio to remember important details during meetings, presentations or lectures.

Pros

I liked this software a lot as I utilized it a lot in college. I had to focus on writing notes fast otherwise the presentation slides would disappear as my professor was discussing the lecture. This allowed me to focus on writing notes while recording the lecture. Then go back and listen to the lecture if I didn’t get focus on what they were saying.

Cons

I didn’t like that I had to go back and check for errors in audio translation to text. Sometimes words would not make sense for the context, so I would need to go back and listen to the audio to figure out what words were actually said.

Kiefer from Reflective Tree Games

Otter is the best app for people who are bad at taking notes

I use Otter whenever I am playtesting my board games. I open the app, set it down, push record, and then I’m able to be involved with the people sitting at the table and give them my full attention. I never have to worry about writing down notes that I don’t understand or can’t read later on because Otter has taken care of it all for me.

Pros

Being able to set my phone down and hold a conversation without having to pause and write stuff down. I love being able to replay the recording while reading what Otter typed up and edit it if there were any errors. I also loved how it somehow recognizes who is speaking and assigns colors and separates their dialogue in the transcript automatically.

Cons

Since this is an AI assistant that responds to voice, there are bound to be problems. Otter is not perfect. People with accents and people that sound a lot alike don’t always register right on the transcript. However, it is so simple to edit your transcript afterwards, this issue becomes a non-issue.

Reasons for Switching to Otter

When I would set my phone up to record, I would get only the audio. It never really worked well, and I didn’t want to listen to what was essentially a podcast of my latest game testing. Otter allowed me to read the transcript, which I find a lot more preferable.

Steve from Grace Bible Church

Using Otter to Transcribe Sermons

Otter helps me, as a pastor, to get a written transcription of a previously-preached sermon. This is helpful because I don't normally write out my manuscripts on the front end, but rather, just a fleshed-out outline. Having a written transcript, thanks to Otter, will help me if I ever decide to preach these sermons again in the future in a different venue.

Pros

I loved how Otter helps me transcribe my previously-preached sermons so that I can conduct effective "post-game analysis." Specifically, I can go back and see the variety of words I used when I preached; how repetitive I was; and what was the level of complexity or difficulty of the individual words I used.

Cons

The one thing I found particularly frustrating about this software was the amount of time it takes to upload an audio file to Otter... it would sometimes take over twenty minutes to upload one of my sermon audio files in order for it to be transcripts. I also didn't like that the free version of Otter cuts off an audio file at the 45 minute mark, as I tend to preach about 50 minutes (so I often miss out on the last five minutes).

Osama from Self.employed

Industry: Industrial Automation

Otter made Transcription Easy.

It is just a wonderful experience and I will continue using the software for a long time I think, that is because of the friendly user interface and accessibility of using its feature. The software gets the work done for me in very good quality and precision. It was the first software to use in this subtitles field and I don't admit using it. Depending on the software and some modifications on my own, the result is very satisfying.

Pros

Otter helps me, as a student or a freelancer, to get a written transcription of a written text. This is helpful because I don't normally write out my learning videos subtitles and even if want to focus on the text not watching the overall video. Having any of my visuals audio written and have the ability to edit it is something impressive and saves a lot of time. I am looking forward to gaining more experience with the software and using it for my freelancing work. The software has good features to edit, highlight the text. Even if I want to upload an image or insert a comment, all of that is easy to use. It has access to different applications like zoom, which is very nice.

Cons

The software has a few cons, like taking some time to upload the file, but it sends me a notification while it is done. In the end, it is already a software which has some issue with accuracy especially with difficult accent cases and background noise .

Joshua from The Original Sasquatch

Great Tool!

I have loved using Otter. Great product and a huge tool for my daily work life on the go!

Pros

I love how easy Otter is to use and to go back and reference and search notes.

Cons

The price! I am not sure how much other similar products cost but it would be nice if it was a little cheaper for each month.

Reasons for Switching to Otter

The ability to see my voice text written out and search for key words.

Michael from Self-Employed

Perfect for Taking Notes

I now don't take any notes. I just hit record and have a natural conversation, which is so much more useful in my line of work.

Pros

I love the ability to take photos of something that will appear in the transcription exactly where we are discussing it. The ability to recognize past speakers is really useful. It does a lot even in the free version.

Cons

They recently started restricting free users to a transcription limit. It's not too bad, and you can work around it by just started a new voice recording, but it's less helpful than before. Not enough to stop using it though.

Joshua from Josh The Copywriter

Makes transcribing copy, and interviews effortless.

Otter helps me solve the problem of transcribing interviews, and allowing me to write copy by talking. My overall experience has been great.

Pros

What I like most about otter as a specialized email copywriter is it allows me to talk my copy out loud, and have it automatically transcribed for me. This especially helps when my hands sore, and I want to keep on writing. I also use it for transcribing client interviews.

Cons

The thing I like least about the software is because it's A.I. the transcription is far from perfect. There's always tons of errors. Still it saves a lot of time transcribing it yourself. It's easier to fix the errors, than do it all yourself.

Jeff from Sieben and Associates Ltd.

Great Personal Assistant

As a business analyst, I was looking for the amazing functionality and experience of Gong.io, but less intrusive on the call, less formal, but just as transcriby . SnagIT and Otter.ai give me what I need to take better notes as a business analyst, quickly get the action items, with traceability to

Pros

Love the ease of uploading recorded audio files. The system doesn't use human transcription services, but AI speech-to-text. Love the price more than Rev or Audiate.

Cons

The browser recorder doesn't record the system audio. I wanted a tool to record what was being spoken in my headset. My alternative is I use SnagIT to record a small part of my screen. SnagIT records the system speakers and my mic, and I upload to Otter.AI. Otter was harder hard to find this amongst a sea of other competing software. My search term was: cloud ai transcription software for transcribing recordings.

Reasons for Choosing Otter

Pricing for cloud hosted, AI-based, transcription service.

Grace from Freelance

My board game co-designer and I use Otter to record playtesting feedback, which allows us to review those notes later and send them to each other when we're doing separate tests. Very handy and easy to use.

Pros

I like that it's easy to set it up and then forget about it and trust that it's getting the information that you need.

Cons

It used to be free, so it was really nice when you had unlimited recording time.

Andrea from Strong moms fitness

Amazing accuracy

Super fun and easy to use. Very user friendly. I do not need or tutorials to use all its functionalities

Pros

I love to use this as a way to add transcripts to my podcast blog page but it is also effective to have it running in the background during interviews and conversations that I need to reference and quote later.

Cons

The free version does that upload time limits so If you have a long audio file it will not transcribe the whole thing. But the value for the upgrade is worth it.

Reasons for Switching to Otter

Julian from Strategic Communication Ltd.

Has its limitations, but a valuable tool!

Efficient back-up to call/meeting notes. Works well on mobile (for recording & playback; you may want something bigger for interrogating recordings).

Pros

Combines audio recording with transcription. This is useful as it enables you to search your recording for phrases or keywords. Being able to click on any section of the transcription text & hear that part of the recording is also helpful.

Cons

Transcription quality is mixed. Do not use if you're expecting perfection & are unwilling to replay sections...

Sufal from Im a Mortal

Run a Podcast? Seriously think about using Otter

Pros

Great for use in various situations, much more than just an automatic transcriber. The interface and bubble style interface for identifying speakers are super useful. Being able to train the software to recognize your own or other voices is also quite useful.

Cons

File upload system could be cleaner. It definitely has a learning curve to overcome.

Mariah from Althoff Design LLC

A great option for quick video transcription

Overall, Otter has been an integral part of my business. We use it to turn Youtube videos into blog posts and social media posts as well as to create closed captions for Youtube and Vimeo videos. It's streamlined our process as a team and has allowed us to work smarter not harder.

Pros

I love how quickly the software transcribes my videos. It's easy, user-friendly, and efficient and my team runs smoother because of it. I also appreciate that it allows me to create closed captioning for my video and therefore ensures my content is accessible.

Cons

It's not always super accurate. Although it's a great software, my team still has to go through the transcript and make changes when necessary so it still adds time to our day.

Great for transcribing

Pros

I stumbled upon this while looking for a software to transcribe an audio. It does the job wonderfully. I also noticed that you can connect different apps like google calendar and zoom and set reminders to record meetings which I love. It's also user friendly.

Cons

Not enough minutes for the Basic(Free) account.

Paul from Alberta Father Involvement Initiative

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Please upload MP4 video without "ERROR" message!!!

Not ready to hand Otter any cash or recommendations just yet.

Pros

I have used the audio upload of an MP3 and enjoyed how it did a good amount of the work in writing out words of meeting speakers and time stamping portions of speech... even thought accuracy needs improvement.

Cons

I tried to upload a Zoom MP4 video twice (which took over an hour each time) and I just kept getting an "error" message at the end. I am very interested in buying the service... BUT... What really got me was when their support just told me to check their FAQs sheet instead of helping me.

Reasons for Choosing Otter

Their reviews were higher then the others.

Janet from St. Vincent de Paul North Idaho

Otter review

So far, this is a useful tool for small meetings

Pros

Love the fact that it actually records conversations into text. Exporting to the clouda and the free minutes per month.

Cons

Although this software is great for small group discussions, it does not perform well with a large group. I was able to pick up "every" word of the conversation, but there is no recognition of voice. Keeping the group small would allow the user to know who is talking.

Joe from Advisr Enterprises

Extremely helpful for re-purposing great content

Pros

Easy to take the transcript and turn into a blog post Pretty solid voice to text accuracy Like the % breakdown of speakers Like that you can edit within Otter and then export to Word or PDF Paid plan allows for a ton of transcription time

Cons

Nothing. It does what is needed and is a legitimately helpful tool.

Laura from Purkey Enterprises dba Zazzy Bandz

Great experience!

Pros

It is great for transcribing zoom meetings.

Cons

Haven't really encountered anything I don't like

Hayley from Quiet Connections

Time saving and appreciated

Glad to have found Otter as it's made our podcasts more accessible, when we couldn't afford to purchase an additional service for transcribing

Pros

Otter offer so much for free, which is greatly appreciated when you're running a little social enterprise! You may have limited upload options, but it can transcribe straight from a zoom call too. It identifies speakers pretty well.

Cons

The transcriptions of course always need editing - and some of the errors have been pretty hilarious - and this actually does take quite a lot of additional time, but obviously not as much as starting from scratch!

Ben from Process Capability Partners

Exceptional AI Transcription

Pros

Straightforward, intuitive platform for quick transcription

Cons

Limited usability in free/"trial" account as expected

Cardinal from Genuine Growth Marketing

Good for no-frills transcription

It gets the job done for basic transcription.

Pros

The word cloud feature is really neat, and it's helpful to be able to search the document.

Cons

I'd like to be able to edit the transcript