All Wave Reviews

Jose

1 employee

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed February 2021

If you're a small company just starting out this is the tool for you!

Kari

Human Resources, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2021

I LOVE Wave!

Overall, I highly recommend Wave if you are running a business and want low costs and an easy way to manage your finances. My business is simple and Wave makes it so much easier for me to stay on top of things and know where I need to focus my energy.

PROS

I have been using Wave since around 2015 and my books were a mess when I first began because I was doing them (not my strength) and once I heard about Wave's bookkeeping services, I couldn't believe how affordable they were. It's super easy to set up and use, run reports and know about your financials. I tried switching to QB for about 1 month and hated it, so I switched back. Lesson learned and I'm sticking around!

CONS

One thing I had to get used to was because I had my bank account connected and until the month is reconciled, when a invoice is paid I mark it paid and then the 'payment' comes in again from banking. It was easy to catch and now my Wave bookkeeper keeps all that reconciled. Thank you!

Reason for choosing Wave

I chose Wave because of a family recommendation and how easy it was for me to set up an account and get things moving. The others may have changed, but I still recommend Wave to anyone who is looking for an easy & affordable way to get their business going.

Felix

Accounting, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed September 2019

A Solid Free Small Business Accounting Software

It’s been a solid piece of cloud accounting software, albeit limited. It’s hard to beat the price of it, and I have yet to find a similar but more fully featured one at the price of FREE!

PROS

I use Wave to keep track of my personal finances, from income to spending. In that lens, Wave performs quite well, allowing you to tag transactions that are automatically imported from your bank. It also lets you generate some simple reports such as your income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow. The interface is simple to use and understand, and I was able to pick it up (coming from an accounting background) in under a few minutes, without having gone through a walkthrough. The included ability to reconcile statements is also quite handy and allows me to verify that all transactions are posted appropriately. The inclusion of receipt tracking and tagging is also quite handy! The best part about Wave is the price! If you don’t need features such as invoicing and payroll (some SMB’s may find these handy. From a personal perspective, I did not), the accounting software is completely free.

CONS

Wave still appears to be in its infancy, although the product has been there for a while. The user interface will frequently be updated (the reconciliation flow changed 3 times since I signed up about 6 months ago), and new features will constantly be added without any notification, often shifting often things around from where you expect them to be. The reports from Wave are also very limited, so don’t expect any customizable reports as of 08/2019. You get about 12 reports total, some or all of which may not be very relevant to you, depending on your end goal. These reports are completely canned, system generated, and you do not have the ability to create new reports. This may change in the future, but as it stands, this is the current state of affairs. The receipt tracking feature is definitely handy to have. While Wave will OCR your receipts and tag them to a category, it will actually post an entire transaction to the ledger when you save it down. For those of us with a bank account and credit card linked to auto import transactions, you’ll get a duplicate: one from the CC, and one from the receipt. It would be nice if Wave included some intelligence to automatically match the receipt and transaction together, but for now, you need to manually merge each. Finally, as a small point, Wave does not obtain any service assurance through SOC1 or SOC2 reports, an issue that most people wouldn’t ever care about.

Reason for choosing Wave

I mostly chose Wave over Xero for the price. As I’m using this for personal finance tracking, and not a small business, I didn’t want to have to pay Xero’s rather pricy monthly subscription.

Luiza

Newspapers, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Accounting done wright

Great software, everything worked as it should be, support is fast and really helps you.

PROS

Perfect accounting software for a small business and someone with less to none accounting knowledge. Creating unlimited estimates and invoices even on the free plan is the greatest feature.

CONS

No cons here, worked flawless for me and my small business.

Kevin

Our business runs on Wave

PROS

Free to use most features. Professional looking branded invoices.

CONS

Lack of support on the free tier. confusing to set up for non accountants.

Robert

Reviewed February 2024

Wave Apps Rocks

Our experience from start to finish was really good.

PROS

Wave Apps was easy to use and easy to setup. It makes our business much easier to run.

CONS

There was really nothing to not like. The product is amazing.

Reasons for switching to Wave

QuickBooks was getting expensive and hard to use.

Simon

Reviewed December 2021

The best accounting software for small business and self emplyoed

Great experience, great customer services, easy to use, decent mobile apps, that exactly what we were looking for in an accounting software, I just sincerely hope that they stop going in the ¨Look like Quickbook¨direction!

PROS

Wave accounting has been a great experience right from the start, its easy to use, easy to send and enter bill in fraction of seconds, and the support is great!

CONS

The last update change the format of the expense section and I really dont like it, it make it more complicated, I feel that it try to look more and more like Quickbook but thats exactly why its great ¨ITS NOT LIKE QUICKBOOK¨ and I hope they keep it that way!

Reason for choosing Wave

Its free, easy to use and has all the features we need

Reasons for switching to Wave

Quickbook is hard and confusing to use, also super expensive for what it is

Renee

Restaurants, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2023

Recommend ed by accountants. Great for small businesses

PROS

Free and so much less complicated than other expensive programs

CONS

Haven’t had anything yet. Great experience and easy. I’m not an accountant so I love it

Reason for choosing Wave

It was recommended by accountants at a small business conference

Reasons for switching to Wave

Costs and it was too complicated. I made an error that could not be undone and doubled all records. Their recommendation was to start fresh of over a years worth of data and re enter everything. It was just way over what we needed

Carl

Sports, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2024

Wave is an excellent product!

My overall experience is very positive. I would recommend WAVE to my friends without question.

PROS

It is easy to use and understand. I feel both comfortable and confident when using WAVE.

CONS

I know that the fee will be going up as I was just notified recently. I just hope that it doesn't get too expensive.

Reasons for switching to Wave

It was not as easy to navigate and manage.

NISHA

Pharmaceuticals, 2-10 employees

GREAT FOR SMALL BUSINESSES

PROS

PROS- ease of recurring billing, saves information for each company or customer needed to be sent invoices, you're able to change pricing for each product or service you are billing for

CONS

It is all online so you need to keep track of everything via internet

Laura

Retail, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Best free invoicing service

Overall great experience super user friendly for me and those i send invoices too.

PROS

For a free service it can't be beat - the invoicing is super user friendly.

CONS

No huge complaints - a little more difficult to integrate with shopify but again for a free service I highly recommend this invoicing service.

Andi

Reviewed May 2019

Wave Shows Me the Money!

Before I used Wave, I was behind every month on my invoicing. I hated sending invoices, and I really, REALLY hated being the Collections person, asking my clients to pay their bills. Then I found Wave, and my whole life changed. I was able to get set up super quickly, connect to my bank, add my clients' contact information, and set up the template for my invoices. Now, I have "Monthly Invoicing" on my calendar, and it takes me about 15 minutes to handle the task (instead of 2 hours). My favorite emails are, "Congrats! You Got Paid!" from Wave. I feel fantastic!

PROS

Wave has absolutely changed my business for the better. It used to take me about 2 hours a month to do my invoicing, which I hated doing, and so I avoided it. Now, I handle monthly invoicing in about 15 minutes. Plus, as new clients come in or one-off projects are completed, I can send the invoices quickly—like 5 minutes. So ease of use is absolutely the first thing I love about Wave. Second, as a small business owner, I am in charge of acquiring new clients, executing the work, invoicing for the work, and then acting as collections when clients are late in paying. With Wave, I check a simple box that sends reminders to the client when things are past due. What a relief! It's coming from "my accounting department" rather than me. Hallelujah! Third, the payment process is so easy for my clients! They can pay any way they want—check, credit card, bank, whatever. It's so easy for them, and I have had zero complaints. It's also fantastic to know when clients have (or haven't) viewed the invoice. And getting the emails from Wave announcing that I've been paid are the best emails of the day. The fact that all of this amazingness is free? That's just the icing on the cake. Thank you, Wave!

CONS

My only issue with Wave is probably a rare use-case. I manage invoicing for a client of mine. (Side note: Wave made it SO EASY for me to be an admin of her account but not the manager, and I can log into my account to access hers. It is AWESOME!) She sells programs, and her clients generally pay in one invoice. Occasionally, her clients need to pay in installments. It was not easy to set up a recurring invoice for only three months to send to the client, especially without a credit card on file. I had to create three different invoices, and label them as Installment #1, #2, etc. However, I recognize that this is probably a one-off user scenario that not many people would need. And I can't complain when the tool is free, and I found a workaround.

Reason for choosing Wave

Honestly, it seemed ridiculous to pay a monthly fee and such high service charges with ProCharge. I'm not big enough nor do I send enough invoices to justify the cost. For Invoicely, the free plan accepts PayPal payments only, so this would be difficult for many of my clients that are businesses and don't use a PayPal account. And there's no branding available. Wave just offers a perfect solution for small businesses that's free while still being robust. I love it!

Brooke

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2020

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Wave no longer integrates with CapitalOne Spark Business Checking & Savings. CapitalOne is going through some changes so I don't blame Wave too much but manually uploading bank statements every month is a hassle. Though I love Spark, I'm hopefully that Wave's banking that is coming soon will be a good future solution. I love Wave for everything else. It's the most rounded and affordable solution for my small business finances.

PROS

It's everything I need in one place. As a small business, Wave is the best solution for me. I can invoice my clients for free, and easily keep my finances up-to-date making tax season worry free.

CONS

Wave no longer integrates with CapitalOne Spark Business accounts, so I have to manually upload two bank statements every month into Wave; One for my checking and one for my savings account, both of which are Spark.

Reasons for switching to Wave

Quickbooks is too expensive and more difficult to use. Wave is a miracle.

Reviewed May 2021

Not made for Today's business market

Recommended by out bank, we tried them out. Big mistake. There is no telephone support, only chat support, which stops working about 30 minutes before closing time (they say they work 9-5 EST). Their process for us to start accepting credit cards took 3 months. Everytime we get paid online, funds get withheld until you provide supporting documentation which takes weeks to process and multiple, escalating questions. Overall, a waste of time with a system that was supposed to take the hassle out of online invoicing.

PROS

The app allows you to be able to keep track of your expenses on the go

CONS

Billing and payments: every time you get paid with their credit card system, they withhold payments until you provide supporting documentation and their back and forths take forever. You can also not connect other systems like PayPal or Stripe. So you are stuck with their merchant processing if you want to accept payments on the go.

Recommended by our Bank

Reasons for switching to Wave

My bank, through WaveApp, claimed this app was easier and more streamlined.

Laura

Photography, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2022

Best accounting software to grow as a small business

The overall experience with Wave has been very good. With some hiccups on the roadmap, Wave has evolved by leaps and bounds from a pretty basic software to quite a powerhouse, even for the free version. If my business grows and I will feel the need to add more features such as payroll and tax advisor use, I will still remain a Wave believer!

PROS

I've used Wave since 2009!!! I feel like my company grew with it. It's helped me understand all I was doing right (and wrong!) financially in my business. It helps tremendously when filing monthly sales taxes. I keep a habit of staying organized, verifying all transactions and reconciling with my bank accounts. All of this, plus categorizing everything the right way makes tax time an absolute breeze - my taxes are done in two days and I don't need to freak out about it because everything is organized ahead of time and all I do is input expenses and sales.

CONS

What I least like about Wave is that a few years ago they stopped support for free accounts. Absolutely no human support whatsoever. Disagree with that big time!!! Sometimes also a bank connection will be interrupted and you cannot reconnect for many many months and since there is no support, you are left without any help. I am a small business of one person and I do not need any of the paid features that Wave offers so I could be upgraded to paid support, so I am always stuck in no human support land. It doesn't feel good, especially to someone who has used this software for as long as I have.

Reason for choosing Wave

Interface, ease of use and pricing - FREE!

Reasons for switching to Wave

Absolutely hated QuickBooks. It felt overwhelming, like I needed to go to school to learn yet another piece of software. Absolutely could not get used to the awful interface and I ditched it immediately, although I paid a few hundred dollars for a desktop version that was rendered obsolete by Intuit after 3 years. Apparently, that is quite a frequent practice from Intuit regarding QuickBooks.

Dedre

Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Easy to use free invoicing app, but it has limitations

Overall, besides the minor cons, it is still my favourite app to use for invoicing since it is so easy to use and straight-forward with a very slight learning curve.

PROS

We started using Wave for our small business as it was free to use, and extremely user-friendly. Setting up your database of products/services and adding customers are easy and makes sending invoices a breeze. Financial reporting is also easy with a variety of filters to use in order to produce the financially statements and/or reports based your chosen criteria. You can also send a monthly bill or statement to your customers.

CONS

Online payment gateways are limited to only 3 options, including PayPal, Stripe and Square. As a South African company, these options are not beneficial or even available in our country. So customers cannot pay invoices automatically upon receipt of the invoice. This is an inconvenience and we use a manual EFT workaround. Support and use of Wave Accounting in South Africa has been discontinued.

Reasons for switching to Wave

We were looking for something with more features than simply invoicing.

Sutra

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Excellent for the start-up to small company!

So far it has been a good experience overall. I haven’t had any issues. I haven’t had very much interaction with customer service other than the initial consultation Coach and the vetting process situation.

PROS

Love this product because of the cost! Free! So many great tools that it offers to include invoicing. You can create all of your own products and services and include your terms & Conditions. Clients can pay directly from the invoice. You can get paid the same day if you attach your business card to your account. It has a payroll feature as well for an additional charge. I love the fact that the reporting is so simple and easy to read. I would highly recommend purchasing this set up package. It comes with consultations and assistance to work through all the process of setting up your account and different categories specific to your business. It was definitely worth the extra money spent. I also like the fact that there are apps available to send invoices if you are away from the office. Also, you can upload receipts directly from wherever you are by simply taking a picture and categorizing it on the spot. No more having to deal with Receipts in the shoebox LOL.

CONS

On the Invoicing I wish there was an option to add tipping. Our clients like to add a tips for our service and while Square offers this feature, Wave does not. There was a weird vetting process that nobody told me about and at first I thought it was a scam and I didn’t reply. But then I confirmed with the consultant I had been working with and they verified that this was in fact something that I had to go through. It seemed kind of sketchy at first, but it had validity with regards to the financial process.

Reasons for switching to Wave

We made the switch to cut down on cost so that we add to our marketing budget.