All SimplePractice Reviews

Lisa E

Medical Practice, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2019

Does a lot.

Good overall. The one other thing I would like to mention is that you can’t get a live help from Tech support in real time. You can “attend” virtual classes, sign up for live classes (which I haven’t done. Time thing) and if you have a question, you can submit it to a chat community (not helpful, not enough docs so they responses are non-relevant) or you submit an email to technical support and they write back. Here’s the catch. You have to respond to their response right away or if you miss the 2; hour window they consider your request “satisfied” and they move in. My suggestion would be to hire more live real time tech support. And if you want to add physicians, consider adding eprescribe and a lab interface. Just my suggestions. There are lots of reasons to not cater to doctors, but if Simple Practice would want to do that, a few small fixes could make this a very usable and more complete package.

PROS

Nice and plain in a lot of ways yet let’s you do these things: Set up your own intake forms, diagnostic codes, billing forms, scheduling, a secure patient portal so when patients contact you, you can send them a secure link they can use to sign your consent forms, pay you using a credit card which you don’t have to handle, schedule a session, and do a telehealth visit in a secure HIPAA compliant way. There is also a way to do billing so bills can be submitted to an insurance company.

CONS

Simple practice is designed for mental health professionals and non-MD’s mainly, so as a psychiatrist, it does MOST but NOT ALL of the things I need for a telepsych practice. For example, I cannot e-prescribe, order labs or review lab results using simple practice. But that’s okay. They never claimed it could be used for this. So I am still getting off the ground with my own practice and will probably just use some work arounds such as writing paper scripts for now, and this is fine unless I get a patient who needs clozaril, lithium or delante, at which time I will need to get lab ordering and reviewing capabilities from somewhere else. So the thing is this. Simple Practice does a lot of things. For a psychotherapist non-prescriber, it would pretty much do everything you could ever want a platform to do. For a psychiatrist, it hits about 2/3 of the total function domain needed. For internal medicine, family medicine or endocrinology I would definitely recommend doing something else. They make no claims to physician specific and the main reason I picked it is for the telehealth and the billing simplification and the collect payment without touching money feature.

Lisa, thanks for your positive SimplePractice review. We¿re glad that SimplePractice is working for your telepsyche practice - you can always submit suggestions to our team on how to improve SimplePractice even more at simplepractice.uservoice.com. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied February 2019

Nichole

Reviewed September 2021

Love this practice management system and it keeps getting better

Simple Practice is an all one solution for small private practices- it's not only a user friendly electronic health record, but an insurance billing platform, staff tracking if you have independent contractors or employees, secure messaging system, telehealth platform, source for quality continuing ed, weekly inspiration, revenue tracking, and all the tools you need for a easy digital client onboarding process.

PROS

As an experienced clinician and small private practice administrator I find this software easy to use and the SP team really does take user feedback seriously and updates and adds features regularly. The roll outs of changes are thoughtful, with good lead times, and always a net improvement in user experience (so far). Reports are detailed enough for me to keep an eye on revenue, independent contractor services, and I can easily update forms and communicate with team members and clients confidentially. Also, online scheduling and the Client portal make client onboarding a breeze without hiring a receptionist.

CONS

I wish I could run reports based on services provided and/or detail of services provided to clients with specific payors.

Reason for choosing SimplePractice

I previously had a lot of experience with Care Logic when working for a larger agency. SP offers a much simpler and tech savvy solution for a small practice.

Richard

Individual & Family Services, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2023

total waste of my time and life...

Zero

PROS

nothing nothing, nothing, nothing nothing, nothing

CONS

Can never find the progress notes information or anything else worth the costs

Nicole

Reviewed February 2022

Used to be great, but recent bad business practices and rate increases for less features.

My overall experience has been fine. However, I'm extremely disappointed with recent decisions and practices of Simple Practice. They recently emailed users notifying them of plan and pricing changes, asking customers to select a new plan before March to ensure access to their account. However, they were NOT clear that selecting a new plan before March would incur a prorated cost for the difference in plan price. They also took away basic features on the lower two tiers and made them available only on the top tier plan. I am a single clinician with one biller and am forced to use the most expensive option, resulting in a 68% rate increase without warning. These two moves are unethical, and frankly, extremely poor customer service.

PROS

I appreciate the user interface on the website and app. It's easy to use and pretty intuitive. I enjoy being able to create custom forms and send text reminders to clients. The setup for a new client is quick and I'm able to send all required paperwork with ease.

CONS

Some of the options on the app are limited, such as being able to see claims (payments/adjustments) and a few things are hard to find, such as adding an insurance card to existing insurance (it's there, you just have to dig a bit). On the website, the claims can be a bit clunky to click through, as well as some things feeling redundant. I also dislike that you can't set the calendar appointments to auto generate a specific appointment time (the default is always 50 minutes and I have to change that manually each time). Also, customer service is extremely lacking. There's not an easy way to get to speak with a real person for issues.

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

I changed from a group practice to a solo practice.

Shanel

Reviewed March 2024

Efficient

PROS

I liked the layout of the platform. Scheduling was easy.

CONS

I feel there could have been more ease in documentation (i.e. short cuts, easy entry, etc.)

Mark Senyo

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Reviewed July 2021

simplifies all processes to a level that allows us to focus on actual client care

Simple practice was introduced to me and my [SENSITIVE CONTENT] during a medical conference we attended during the early stages of setting up our private practice. Thankfully, it came at a time when we were still developing our core processes and workflows, so it was able to shape our systems right from the very beginning.

PROS

Simple Practice is very easy to learn and get comfortable using. All the various features easily link up to others that follow or proceed in the logical process of service delivery, making product navigation extremely user friendly and smooth.

CONS

The period allowed for the free trial is a bit short and does not allow potential buyers enough time to test all the core elements before having to make a decision on whether to purchase or not.

Reason for choosing SimplePractice

The recommendations we received from our network of associates and administrators were in favor of Simple Practice

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

Simple practice had a more comprehensive set of features and more applicable uses for the stage we were in as a new practice

Todd

Reviewed June 2023

Difficult Practice

In my experience, SP makes it impossible to cancel your subscription, which in my opinion and experience feels intentional. They hold onto your business by making it very difficult to terminate because their “product” is substandard. The platform is awful. In no way is Simple Practice simple to use. But it sure is simple for them to continue use to collect your money every month. I had to reach out to their bots for help which was not helpful either. As I write this review, I’m unable to end my subscription and will be forced to pay another month for a service I do not use anymore. No other choice but to take legal action.

CONS

I do not like anything about simple practice.

Jessica

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2019

Great Product for the Price

SimplePractice allows me to operate my private speech therapy practice efficiently, and does not cost an arm and a leg!! I highly recommend this product.

PROS

I pay much less for this software than for a similar product I used previously. The software is user friendly, and customer support personnel respond quickly when I have a question.

CONS

There are some limitations. For example, clients can't easily upload documents to the portal, creating templates for documentation is tedious, etc.

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

Kareo was much more expensive, harder to navigate, and I was paying for features that my small practice didn't need.

Robin

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2023

SimplePractice Recmmendation

I was very reluctant to use SimplePractice. I used another EHR that I was comfortable with and accustomed to. However, after I made the switch and learned how to navigate it, the ease of use was readily apparent.

PROS

I like SimplePractice's ease of use and the limited time it takes to learn the system. Getting up-to-speed with its many tools was important, and it took no professional training time or training investment.

CONS

SimplePractice is not the most navigation-friendly system. However, once one learns how to get around in the system, it becomes easy.

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

Company requires SimplePractice, and I'm glad it does.

Reviewed September 2023

Electronic Health Recorda

Great switch for my practice

PROS

The ease of use throughout platform.It is very intuitive

CONS

Connections issues and customer support

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

Connection and there was very little customer support available

Larry

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2023

Simple Practice: The Best And Easy

Love it, easy to use and customer support is amazing

PROS

Clearly laid out, well defined and comprehensive with practice features

CONS

need more video simulations and role play training scenarios

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

better pricing, more effective practice components

Stephanie

Reviewed April 2024

SimplePractice is an great EMR for mental health clinicans

I enjoyed using it in the limited capacity I had.

PROS

Ease of use in scheduling and documentation.

CONS

I did not have full access to it, since I was just a user, but from my research it would be the cost, although it is comparable to others.

Michelle

Reviewed August 2019

Super Easy for Solo Practitioners. Need Some Work for Group Practice Use.

In spite of the cons noted above (and I could have written more), Simple Practice is VERY good software and would actually kill the game so to speak if they fixed some of the flaws noted above as well as improving customer service. While I do like that why have not outsourced customer service to a foreign country like many others, the lack of phone support can be rather irritating. No one wants to send emails back and forth to resolve issues,

PROS

Simple Practice really is super easy for the average user. It has a modern look and feel. In less than 60 seconds (52 seconds to be exact) you and create a new client, schedule and send intake forms to be electronically signed. Overall the system is pretty intuitive. I love that you can create your own document and forms. The template creator is fairly easy. I also like that clients can "request" an appointment, which I can approve or deny. Finally, the calendar has very robust features (even better than 'many' of the scheduling apps). Also this comment isnt about the software per se but about the company-- I truly appreciate the they encourage feedback and suggestions from their subscribers and take action on 'some' of the suggestions.

CONS

Simple Practice takes a really long time to get enrollments with Medicaid & Medicare. They blame CMS but even CMS says it doesn't take months to get approved to bill though a clearinghouse (Yes, I know SP is not a clearinghouse). Secondary billing with is an absolutely nightmare. You literally have to do it manually--as in printing and mailing. I'm not really sure why but every single client I have with secondary insurance billing section is messed up. Allocating payments appropriately is a mystery and there is a 'special' way you have to do it which Ive never been able to grasp. The end result is no client with secondary insurance has a zero balance. Treatment Plans do not have electronic signatures, which is a great disappointment. While there is a template builder, it's not intended for Treatment Plans only Progress Notes. Technically you can create an ITP of your own liking but in order to see your ITP goals/objectives to write your notes, you MUST use one of their templates (creating double work). Simple Practice is now being marketed for use for Group Practices. I was disappointed to learn that if you have Interns or Intermediate/Pre-Licensed Clinicians while you can review and sign their notes, there is not notification of any kind. This mean the Intern/Pre-Licensed Clinicians would need to email the Supervisor which client notes to read either daily or weekly--which is simply ridiculous.

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

In addition to the cons noted above, Simple Practice is not designed to accommodate practices providing more than one program/service.

Michelle, thank you for your comprehensive review. We're glad to support your practice with our best-in-class practice management platform. We're constantly working on improving our platform, as you've pointed out in our review, and are looking forward to improving our functionality around secondary claims, documentation, and group practices. Thanks for being our customer over the years. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Replied August 2019

Jean

Medical Practice, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2021

Simple Practice for SLP

Overall would recommend to anyone with a small practice who is willing to put the time/effort into creating their own templates.

PROS

Overall this software is very intuitive. It's relatively easy to customize and I love having my documentation in billing all in one place for such a low cost. The customer services is exceptional. Anytime I have a question I simply send a message and link and I have a helpful response within 24 hours.

CONS

As a pediatric SLP, I have had to create my own templates for pretty much everything due to insurance requirements and the nature of my assessment and treatment. This can be time consuming for sure. I would love to be able to use the telehealth software, but I really need to be able to give the kids remote control in order to keep them engaged and as far as I know that isn't a feature at this point. The billing can get confusing, but the customer service has been incredibly helpful with this and I feel it's mostly due to the complexity of the billing for that client more so than the software.

Primarily cost

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

Started my own (single provider) practice and found Simple Practice to be much more affordable and intuitive.

Reviewed December 2019

The name of the software says it all.

Overall, I find Simple Practice to be just that, simple. It has all manner of features that I do not employ nor does it force me to jump through hoops I don't require. I might well use some of the bells and whistles at some point but the ease of doing just what I need to do in minimal time is it's major selling point for my practice.

PROS

The EHR is simple, uncomplicated, and lets me get my work documented without fuss or having to click through various pages to record progress notes. Also, the names in the calendar appear as first, and last, as opposed to some gibberish assigned to each patient that I am forced to remember as my former EHR software required.

CONS

The setting of the appointment time I find to be clunky. It defaults to the current time, which means I have to scroll to the correct time when I make an appointment for the patient. Yes, a minor issue but I wish there was some other way to ascribe an appointment time. I frequently return appointment requests in the evening. having the calendar time default to a PM time is a minor issue but I'm not fond of it. A minor quibble, but I need to be careful or I schedule someone for 8:00 PM when it should have been a morning appointment. I'll get used to it I am sure.

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

Years ago, Valant was a great system because it had few competitors. It's not intuitive and I have been promised a software upgrade for over 5 years. Pen and paper was easier to use. Also patient [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] shows up in my appointment calendar as [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. Good luck with that!

Gracie

Reviewed December 2019

Successful Practice Meet Your Sidekick

I switched to Simple Practice from another EHR due to the features offered and the customer support. It is important for me as practice owner to have features such as managing the client portal access and the ability to send new client paperwork via the client portal. Simple Practice has all that is needed with integrated insurance billing, invoices, super bills, clinical note structure, video therapy, and credit card swipe. I am thrilled to have Simple Practice and look forward to learning more about all the features the EHR provides! I know Simple Practice will help me and my practice grow exponentially!

PROS

I enjoy the software has integrated assessments, a client portal accessible to place on your practice website, Wiley Treatment Planner, and built in paperwork needed for new clients. I am appreciate of the customer service that is prompt with response. The software has amazing training videos that assists with new users like myself.

CONS

Billing insurance does not seem intuitive, however I signed up for a class to gain knowledge in billing.

Reasons for switching to SimplePractice

I made the switch as I was unable to manage the client portal. I wanted a user friendly platform to upload paperwork for new clients to have accessible via the client portal versus inability to upload paperwork. The cost of my previous EHR was a factor as I paid separately for Wiley Treatment Plans, Two-Way Video Conference, and I had to pay more as I have obtained more clients. Simple Practice offers an affordable and integrated system with excellent customer support.

Janny

Reviewed March 2020

It really is simple

So far I really love everything simple practice offers. I love the daily reminders of my schedule. I love that everything is HIPPA compliant. I love how it is user friendly. I love the built in templates and the ease of being able to create any new electronic forms for clients to review and/or fill out. I love that I can also charge clients through the system and that it automatically transfers to my account. Overall this is an amazing system.

PROS

I love that they already have templates in this system that you can easily modify and make your own. It is very user friendly. Like any electronic software there is always a learning curve but I found this software to be straightforward and easy to navigate and figure out.

CONS

I have had some issues with the telehealth video sessions. I am not sure if this is related to the software or my wifi connection. I do not have many telehealth clients but so far I have had 2 sessions via video sessions and both times I had technical issues with being able to hear my clients or losing connection. However, I am not sure if this is software related or simply wifi issues. Also, being new into private practice it is pretty costly to have this software but I made the choice to have it before I started building a case load so I wouldn't have to deal with transitioning later on. I am glad I did that but I wish maybe they offered new practices some type of introductory rate knowing that many practices don't have a full case load right away.

Reason for choosing SimplePractice

It was much more easier for me to navigate and understand.

Nadirah