All Bonsai Reviews

Charles Abraham

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Why I use Bonsai

Its been a game changer and it helped me scale my bsuiness.

PROS

Bonsai is easy to get started, and I was up and running in no time. I like how easily I am able to create and send invoices to my clients.

CONS

I wish there were a chat widget feature that I could install on my website similar to Sharpspring or HubSpot. Perhaps some collaboration with Webflow.

C

Legal Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2023

Excellent customer/client management for solo starting out, hope Bonsai grows with small biz

I'm glad to have found this platform, have appreciated the ways it streamlined some of my business and remain excited about its potential. I've looked at many industry specific platforms for my service industry and they all were clunky or extremely expensive. I don't need industry-specific software though, I just need a clean, easy to use project / client management platform where I can send invoices/contracts and schedule client appointments. Bonsai has some stand-out features, among the best are its scheduling and client portal (to allow clients to view an invoice or uploaded files). Bonsai works great with apple/mac/iphone OS calendar and is very useful for client onboarding / invoicing. I would love to see Bonsai develop additional features for growing businesses, even if that involved a modest add-on fee (so long as the add-on fee didn't get carried away,)

PROS

There is a lot to appreciate with Bonsai starting with a very nice graphical interface. Most features are super easy to roll out (with the notable exception that incoming payments are frozen for the first 2 weeks plus). The online scheduler works excellently and plays very nicely with macs. The client portal is very attractive and an easy way to share invoices / files. There are lots of great starts to automate common tasks (e.g., when a client signs a contract, send the invoice) I felt like Bonsai is a 10/10 (or close) for a very small solo just getting started. If you have a handful of clients / projects a month and work alone, this will justifiably wow and make things beautifully smooth.

CONS

Solo / freelancers are Bonsai's target. Many features just don't seem to work for or consider a small business with any employees. It also doesn't seem to have features suitable to handle businesses with high volume of anything (no way to track/run reports) Although there are options to add "team" members for a monthly fee, Bonsai doesn't really recognize that a business owner might need to set user permissions or have employees involved in some but not every aspect of a business. For example, users can only be designated "partners" with access to every financial detail or "collaborators" who can do next to nothing in the platform besides view an already created project. I need an assistant to create projects, send out contracts and invoices but not be given a key to the company's entire financials. Currently there is no way to do this. Contracts cannot be sent without a company signature and the signature cannot be pre-populated. We're still trying to work around these limitations. Bookkeping automatically logs processing fees as expenses and can track other manually inputted expenses but cannot track multiple bank accounts / check writing, payroll, etc.

Reason for choosing Bonsai

Bonsai has a much cleaner interface, very easy entry (easy to navigate, no steep learning curve), dramatically smoother syncing with ical for macs and affordable monthly price.

Eric

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2024

Easy mode for Invoices, Contracts, and Time Tracking

PROS

Super easy interface for on boarding clients; creating custom contracts and project proposals and then managing them ongoing; sending recurring invoices and expenses.

CONS

Editing recurring invoices could be made more intuitive and easier to manage.

Kezia

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Horrendous Customer Service

Horrible, Worst in class

PROS

I like the tax add-on that allows me to pull P&L reports. It's the only reason I haven't canceled my subscription. Bonsai's customer service is disgusting!

CONS

Everything except the tax add-on. Bonsai canceled my account without warning because Stripe couldn't verify my identity, EVEN THOUGH in their FAQs, it says there are other ways to do so if we reach out via email.I resubscribed (since I canceled my Quickbooks and Honeybook subscriptions) and got verified, but they locked my account pending said verification. Contacted customer service via chat, and they read my message and then closed the conversation ticket.Followed up with an email and two months later, nothing has changed.

Tax add-on in one place

Hi Kezia, We are deeply sorry to hear about your experience with Bonsai. Some of our services are only available to users with a valid identity verification from our identity partner. There is unfortunately no workaround or manual identity review we can perform as an alternative. This is a one-time procedure for new users and I am sorry it didn't work out. Our support team is however happy to assist you in cancelling your subscription and transitioning to another tool. I am sorry that Bonsai cannot serve your business today. Thank you

Replied March 2023

Jackie

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2023

Bonsai keeps me a loyal customer!

Bonsai has been very essential to my freelance career when I was part time to now being a full time freelancer. When starting out, I just needed the essential tools - invoicing, accounting, time tracking, contracts and proposals - which Bonsai offered immediately. Down the line, they added new features that boosted what I can also add to my workflow management such as forms, scheduling and now a cool project board view besides the generic list view! It allowed me to have a business debit account while major banks require small businesses to be active for a certain amount of time before qualifying for a business account. Overall - NO FRILLS, but still A GEM.

PROS

Very straightforward, simple and user-friendly. Everything a freelancer or contractor needs to keep their small business financially organized is in Bonsai.

CONS

I hope the mobile and desktop app would be expanded. The browser app is cool, but I would love to just click onto an app icon to access my dashboard without having to get on Chrome. Might also be great to have a client be able to access and view their mini portal on Bonsai without creating an account - this way they can view the active project I'm working on with them and access invoices.

Reasons for switching to Bonsai

Quickbooks didn't have all the other features that Bonsai offered

Brandon

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Great interface, poor quality, money grabbing company

If you’re a freelancer looking for something to get started very quickly, then Bonsai will be great. If you are growing beyond that, I would consider looking elsewhere. They are not scaling to support that type of customer, and it’s too easy for them to find new ways to grab more money for the same or fewer features, some of which don’t work.

PROS

Bonsai makes it easy to get started as a freelancer. Proposals, contracts, and payment processing is made easy.

CONS

In the 5 years I’ve been using Bonsai, they have introduced only two net new product features. One of which is Bonsai Payments, which is a competitor to Stripe, which they already supported. The second, Bonsai Tax, which stripped some existing and included functionality from the original offering and turned it into an add on feature for an extra $100/year. They have revamped some existing features, but they lack execution, and there are very obvious gaps in product requirements that have yet to be filled. I report a new bug almost every single time I log in, and every single time it’s confirmed by the product team. They’ve raised prices by >150% in only a few years and not improved the platform enough to warrant that.

Mike

Internet, 2-10 employees

Bonsai improved my business 100%

Before Bonsai I was using many programs for proposals, CRM, invoicing, and contracts. Since switching to Bonsai I honestly have to say that I have saved several thousand dollars per year and my life has been much easier and more organized. Bonsai has systems that have automation so if a customer does one particular item the Bonsai system will automatically send an email with a form that I would like my customer to submit. Bonsai is definitely a game changer and I would highly recommend any business owner to look at their system and hopefully see the benefits that they can receive by using Bonsai.

PROS

Bonsai makes everything extremely streamlined and very easy and user-friendly. From the time I input a lead to creating the proposal to invoicing the customer and finalizing the project, Bonsai makes everything hassle-free and extremely easy.

CONS

The only suggestion I would have or like to see for Bonsai would be for them to allow me as the business owner to arrange the look and feel of how my customer dashboard is arranged.

Reason for choosing Bonsai

Bonsai is made for the small to medium size business owner and there was no need for the outrageously over priced salesforce CRM.

Reasons for switching to Bonsai

Bonsai offered a free trial for their processor and I was immediately interested because everything was handled through Bonsai and no additional work was needed.

Marley

Great tool business management

PROS

I've experimented with various business apps such as Bonsai, but none of them compare to its CRM and invoicing capabilities. Its combination of reasonable pricing and comprehensive features makes it unbeatable. Additionally, its customer service is exceptional.

CONS

I wish there was a better portal for clients, where we can have conversations within the portal, upload specific files within the portal, assign tasks, etc. As it is now, there's no reason for my clients to even log into the portal because everything just goes to their email. but emails can get messy so i'd prefer the alternative.

Reasons for switching to Bonsai

Notion was great, and I mostly used it to upload design presentations and collect feedback from clients, but ultimately the layout felt disjointed and not catered to my line of work.

Love Bonsai and would recommend

PROS

What's NOT the most impactful LOL! I use Bonsai for EVERY PART OF MY PROJECT ( well that, and the Google Drive). From storing client information, to creating projects, invoices, time tracking, invoices, contracts et all... Bonsai has really streamlined the administration side of my small business. They are also SUPER quick to respond with support when needed. Huge Fan of Bonsai and happy I chose them over everyone else <3

CONS

I would love to be able to add my accountant to the accounting area without having to add her as a partner... and I love the idea of the cash feature and envelopes just wish you could make this work with an external bank as I prefer to run my business account separate to the Bonsai system

Reason for choosing Bonsai

I found it to be a little more intuitive than the other products I was checking out.

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Perfect for Freelance Web Designers and SEOs

Before Bonsai, it was often difficult to get paid by clients. With Bonsai's flexible online payment options and professional appearance, I usually get paid immediately on sending invoices. Same with proposals: clients love that they can pick and choose from the options I present to them and then we can revisit options later.

PROS

We're a very small shop, but Bonsai makes us look as professional as our larger competitors and helps us manage our proposal development, time tracking and online invoicing without a huge time investment in learning the software.

CONS

When I'm setting up new clients and developing proposals, I don't want to enter the client's real email address initially and accidentally send them something that's not ready for them yet, so I have to go out and create fake email addresses that I use temporarily. Would be great if there were an option to not have to enter emails initially, or if there were a fake email address option built into Bonsai.

Reason for choosing Bonsai

It was a good mix of all the functionality I needed at a better price.

Victor

Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2023

An ever improving platform that makes freelancing a breeze

Overall, I love this platform. It's straightforward and pleasant to look at. Once the mobile application can action creating proposals and contracts, making projects, adding clients and not just acting as a "review what's up in your business" companion application...

PROS

The ease of creating projects, setting up and sending proposals, and tracking billing.

CONS

Sometimes projects move quickly, and certain actions have to become manual. Expense tracking can be tricky as well — I've had issues (likely bugs) where my expenses double or even triple which throws off P&L reports. The mobile application is VERY limited, often defaulting to the desktop version for common actions.

Reason for choosing Bonsai

The discount from Webflow.

Reasons for switching to Bonsai

Webflow Client Billing replaced some of the actions we repeat for billing for websites. The lifetime discount helps to be a customer.

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Always Raving about bonsai

That being said, the exceptional customer service from Bonsai's team has made a real difference in my experience. They are always available to answer my questions and provide support, which is a rare find in today's digital landscape.Overall, I would recommend Bonsai to any freelancer or small business owner who values high-quality customer service and wants to streamline their workflow. While the price may be on the higher side, the time and effort saved on invoicing and contract management may make it worth it for some. However, those looking for more comprehensive proposal creation and onboarding features may want to explore other options.

PROS

Bonsai has truly been a game-changer for my freelance business. As a solo entrepreneur, I was struggling to keep track of my finances, contracts, and invoicing, which took up way too much of my time and energy. But ever since I started using Bonsai, everything has become so much more streamlined and effortless.Bonsai's user-friendly platform and intuitive features have made it easy for me to create and customize professional contracts and invoices that perfectly match my branding. Their built-in time tracking tool is a lifesaver, allowing me to track my hours and bill my clients accurately without any hassle.What really sets Bonsai apart, however, is their exceptional customer service. Their team is always available to answer my questions and provide support, and they go above and beyond to make sure that I am happy with their product.Overall, I cannot recommend Bonsai enough to any freelancers or small business owners out there who want to streamline their workflow and save time. Thanks to Bonsai, I have more time and energy to focus on what really matters - growing my business and serving my clients.

CONS

Bonsai has been a helpful tool for my freelance business, but it does come at a higher price point compared to some of its competitors. While the user-friendly platform and built-in time tracking features have saved me time and effort on invoicing and contract management, I do wish that Bonsai could do more in terms of proposal creation and onboarding new clients.

Christopher

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Solid Small Business Solution that grows with you.

It was a good experience and we will continue to use it.

PROS

I liked how it kept track of our Tax payments and let us automatically set money aside for taxes.

CONS

The fact that our clients can't see their tasks.

Tax Preparation

Reasons for switching to Bonsai

Because Bonsai had Tax preparation.

Dan

Design, 2-10 employees

Free trial for 3 months - it's going GREAT

So far it's going great. I'm moving my operation to Bonsai.

PROS

Ease of use, definitely. Everything is right there, intuitive.

CONS

I wish I could add one member for free, instead of 9 usd. I'd like to have a ticketing system. But I'll use a form for it, for now.I wish I could create proposals by just adding the services I've already added to the "Services" tab.

Reason for choosing Bonsai

You guys gave 3 month for 1 usd/m and I believe I'll be able to pay the subscription. Bonsai will help me streamline my workflow and I hope I'll reach 5k mrr by the end of 3 months

Reasons for switching to Bonsai

Almost everything I need in one place

Celia

Reviewed March 2023

Best app for entrepreneurs and service providers!

It's been a year that I manage all my client contracts, proposals and bills with Bonsai and it has been a game changer! Thanks for this wonderful app! I always recommend it to my entrepreneur friends and colleagues that want to launch their business!

PROS

I love the ease of use of Bonsai, its personalized templates and the modern aspect of the app. As a designer I need to have good looking proposal and the app makes it really easy to customize documents.

CONS

The fees that are applied when the client pays online can be a pain point for some of my clients, and can extend to more than 3%. Bonsai is a great app but I would love to have lowers payment fees to keep my prices as they appear on my proposals.

Reason for choosing Bonsai

The personalized templates for proposals, bills and the online contracts that makes my whole process safe and clear for my clients. I also love the ease of use of this app and its modern aesthetic! I really matters when presenting documents to prospects and clients as a graphic designer :)

Reviewed May 2023

Great way to centralize your business

Overall good! Happy to have my business admin simplified.

PROS

Being able to have my contracts, invoicing and scheduling all in one place has really helped to streamline the backend parts of my business.

CONS

The initial payout for the invoicing was over two weeks. I understand that it is in place to ensure security, however that amount of time can feel like forever to a small business.

Reasons for switching to Bonsai

I wanted to consolidate my business admin when it came to invoicing, contracts and scheduling.

Blaine

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Well worth the money

I am only one month into my new business and I'm glad I've starting using Bonsai from the beginning. My clients signed my contracts immediately when I sent them using the electronic signature as opposed to waiting for them to sign my initial paper contract. I have yet to sent my first invoice, but it looks to be very simple. I've connected my bank so I can see all my expenses in a single app.

PROS

The interface is very clean and intuitive and is a breeze to use. The feature that puts it above all the rest of similar products is the accounting features. For a small, simple business, I don't need to invest in another accounting product like QuickBooks. It saves on costs and keeps everything in one plane of glass.

CONS

The only item that I find lacking in Bonsai is there is no Kanban board or other visual way to track tasks and projects.

Reason for choosing Bonsai

The accounting feature in Bonsai was an edge that the other products didn't have.

Ashley