All Calamari Reviews

Love this product

Noah

Airlines/Aviation, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2023

Excellent product and a great value

It has been a great addition to our company overall. It is very simple to request time off, to approve requests, and to track coverage on any given day. The timeclock is extremely simple to use, but also offers plenty of features. We have been very pleased with our decision to implement Calamari.

PROS

We love the ease of use, the integration with other applications, and the excellent UI. The fact that Calamari can send a Slack notification every morning to inform the team who is out that day is extremely helpful. Ease of use is a critical component to get buy-in from all employees, and Calamari is great in that regard.

CONS

The areas where I can see room for improvement are mostly to do with reporting. Many companies require a signed record of timecard approval to ensure that employees are being compensated fairly. In order to achieve this, we have to export data and configure it manually. It would be great to incorporate a timecard approval workflow into the application to make this seamless.

Hello! Thank you for your comprehensive review. I'll pass your opinion to our team to consider. In the meantime, you can stay tued about the new Calamari features on our What's New page here: https://calamari.io/whats-new

Replied April 2023

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2023

Excellent, low-cost solution for Non-profits!

By switching our leave management and time tracking to Calamari, we have greatly reduced the amount of administrative hours spent on tracking PTOs and ensuring staff are working an appropriate amount of hours. The Slack integration has also been a huge bonus - staff don't need to log in to yet another app and instead can manage time off and clocking in/out right from the Slack app that they already use all day long.

PROS

Calamari has an easy to use, simple user design that was easy for our team to switch to. The support team is always very helpful in onboarding our organization and answering any questions to date. My favourite part is the Slack integration; my team uses Slack for daily communication, so having the ability to do practically anything you needed for time tracking and leave management within Slack has been extremely convenient.

CONS

One feature that I think may be lacking is the work schedules. As office workers a team's schedule is usually pretty similar from week-to-week, however, we offer flexible work schedules that have varied number of hours or days that are worked every other week. Calamari currently doesn't have the ability to customize work schedules to this level, which has led our operations team to have to put in more hours than we would have liked in setting up work schedules to properly reflect scheduled number of hours. I would also think this would be a major downfall for any organization that schedules shifts for their employees.

Reason for choosing Calamari

Calamari had a more user-friendly design, offered both time tracking and leave management (which most other programs did not), offered non-profit pricing, and had an extremely easy to use Slack integration.

Reasons for switching to Calamari

To save valuable administrative time and reduce the chance of human error in paid time off calculations for staff.

Rob

Construction, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2022

Decent value for money timekeeping app

PROS

Monthly subscription cost and easy to use.

CONS

such a bland and unhelpful interface. no Auto clock in / clock out

Cost

Thank you for your review. The auto clock in/out feature is an excellent idea. Let me pass it on to our team. We always listen to our clients' needs and are open to improvements you need the most.

Replied September 2022

Nick

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Good Product for Trackign Employee time worked and time off schedules

Overall we like the product. It keeps track of time off and daily timeclock functinos very well. It is highly customizable. I just have a hard time getting help if I need it, which luckily isn't too often.

PROS

Product is very flexible on how you set it up

CONS

It is so fexible, it can be difficult to set up. Getting help after initial setup has been challenging for me sometimes also.

Reasons for switching to Calamari

Needed more functionality like Calamari.

Fabien

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees

Reviewed March 2023

Good system, great customer service, just missing a few features

Overall I am happy with the product and I think for the price it is OK.Once overtime features and better admin controls are implemented I will give this 5* all round.It's so close to being amazing!

PROS

It's very easy to useThe app and web version have a very modern feel unlike s a lot of the other HR systems out there.The admin and set up process are very easy and intuitive, and even our technophobe employees had no issues with signing up and getting used to it.The customer service team is friendly and always quick to reply with any questions or issues we have.The whole system is very fast and processes all tasks very quickly.There's a very good selection of clocking methods: QR scanner, mobile app, website, iBeacon, API.They have one of the most advanced and open API protocols I've seen from all my tests and being a high tech firm I was keen to have this option to facilitate any implementation in the future.

CONS

Although the product is nice it does feel like it's behind competitors in some aspects.I get the feeling the development team is too small and I'd certainly like more action on the features we have requested.There are a few translation mistakes we have spotted but they never affected usability.The team management isn't as dynamic as expected.Admin features are missing (seeing acitvity logs to see what users changed what data at what time/date etc), and I would like more control and settings available on some parts too.Some of the exported reports seem to have been coded by different people because the table headers and names are not consistent throughout, again only a small problem, but this probably wouldn't happen with a bigger firm.Overall the main downside is that these features missing and little errors now and again make me feel like we are beta-testing the product for them, but paying market rate for the privilege.

Reason for choosing Calamari

They were either too expensive because they included HR packages we don't want, or they were American (date format, "vacation" instead of "holiday" etc), or had a slow clunky UI, or didn't handle our night shift clockings well.

Reasons for switching to Calamari

We were on a legacy system full of bugs and glitches literally all the time, payroll was taking hours and hours every month and it was losing track of holidays and absences

Hello! Thank you for your comprehensive review. I'll make sure to pass it to our team. Our team grown twice as big as it was year ago and we're still getting bigger. WIth more help we're able to develope more great features. You can stay up to date about Calamari updates on our What's New page here: https://calamari.io/whats-new

Replied April 2023

Sandra

Entertainment, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2022

Perfect and easy to use tool

I'm using Calamari since 4 years (in my previous jobs and current company). I didn't have any problems or troubles while using it. Calamari helps are improved our workflow, especially with the calendar which we can see easily how many people will be absent in the next days. Also, I feel we can care a little bit of environment by using on-line tool and not to print any leave request etc. That's also important for us to using the tool which doesn't impact negative on our planet.

PROS

- Calamari is really easy to use, even if employee didn't use similiar tools before, - It's easy to integrate - Working very good, it's clear and intuitive - The support helps me with setting-up everything, they care about users, - The app is also easy to use.

CONS

I don't see any cons, I'm using Calamari since 4 years and that's why I've chosen Calamari to use again in my current company.

Reason for choosing Calamari

In overvall, my experience with Calamari was better - it's easier to use and more perspicuous than Timesheets. The second reasons is easy to integrate, to add new people and also it's available in Polish language.

Monika

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed June 2020

Very simple tool that integrates easily with Jira, Slack and HR payroll software

All in all the system improved our corporate life. Everyone finally knows how many day-off he can/may use during a year.

PROS

We like this tool, because it's synchronized with other tools used in our organization (e.g. outlook Calendar, Jira, Optima, Slack, Office365). It is very userfriendly and intuitive and can be customized the way we need. We have a lot of different types of agreements and hence a lot of different absence types - and the system enables to configure everything the way we need. Additionally we are delighted with a customer support.

CONS

Lots of possibilities to customize ( absence types, calendars, working shifts, approval processes etc.) makes the system more complex to configure and it looks difficult at the beggining, but - when you start to udnerstand different dependancies and how it's built - is stops to be a problem. Customer support is of absolutely marvelous, always responsive and very, very helpful.

Reason for choosing Calamari

It was the only system that had all the features we've looked for - so integrations with Jira, Slack, Optima, and Office365 and complex enough to be able to calcuate different types of absences.

Reasons for switching to Calamari

Previous tools didn't calculate how many days are still to be taken by end user during a year, so our employees and contractors didn't have possibility to control their absences effectively. We also simplified the payroll process - thanks to simple download of data in a proper format to the payroll system - it have eliminated the manual input of absences to payroll system (Optima).

Rino

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2023

Calamari - weird name, great product

Very positive experience and once set up, we have been able to use the system reliably with no help needed from support

PROS

Very simple to deploy with a transparent pricing structure

CONS

In reality, nothing. The product is easy to customize and adapt for specific use

Reason for choosing Calamari

Pricing is a lot more competitive and the simplicity means it does exactly what I need it to do

Kat

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2019

Offer great policy integration

PROS

We could build in our leave policies so that Calamari enforces the rules automatically (e.g., who is eligible to take school visitation leave, awarding some leave annually and some by days worked, different minimum durations for different leave types, etc). It offers very granular control over the setup, and is very intuitive and smooth once setup.

CONS

The downside of having such detailed control options is the steep learning curve in the implementation process. Fortunately, the customer support staff are great and really helpful with figuring everything out. I'd like Calamari to implement an "edit" feature for approved leave requests, which would be more convenient than cancelling and resubmitting.

Reason for choosing Calamari

Calamari had the best policy integration, and we have a whole variety of policies for a variety of leave types.

Reasons for switching to Calamari

It was a homegrown system that was overly complicated to manage and whose software could change on short notice (we relied on a free add-on for the approval process).

Jenna

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2021

Would recommend!

The customer service and technical assistance that I have received while working with Calamari has been unparalleled. As soon as I signed up for a free trial a representative reached out to me and answered every question I had. For weeks she had very consistent and helpful communications with me and guided me through every step of the way!

PROS

This software is clean, simple and easy to use. it integrates well with Slack and outlook calendars. It's easy for employees to use and keep track of their own time off reporting in an organized way. It's very customizable to out companies accrual rules, holidays, birthdays, working hours and PTO. I really love that our employees do not have to leave the Slack pap to request PTO and check their balance.

CONS

There is little that is missing from this software and they are always making updates! I would say if you have a lot of employees it takes some time to set them all up initially.

Reason for choosing Calamari

It was fully integrated with Slack and they are competitive in pricing

Leili

Retail, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2022

Most versatile time and leave management system I know off

One of the added benefits, aside making administrative HR work easier, is the ability to use Calamari as a communication tool especially with remote teams and hybrid work. Team members can easily follow absences and also when Clockin module is used to follow whether someone has already started working or left already or is taking a break. Having easy access to this information takes down the frustration if there is a delay in communication (chat applications like Slack) and has improved overall cordiality among the employees.

PROS

Simple and focused to do what needs to be done. Very versatile and easy to customize, especially when you have teams in different countries. Customer service is always helpful and really does forward ideas and concerns to the development team. Hands down the best software to make life easier in smaller companies where a lot of HR work is done by one person or only a small team.

CONS

I used to miss the Break feature synchronization with Slack. In our current company we use only the Leave module so that is not an issue here. Also when using the Clockin module, there should be a different icon setting be made available for days taken entirely off as accumulated overtime. Currently it is possible to do it, but the system treats it as a remote work day, which is misleading because such person has already done the work needed. It does not happen often, but when it is needed, it does add confusion and requires a lot of manual handling and double checking.

Thank you for your comprehensive review. The break option on Slack in the Clock In module has been added and if you have a paid Slack version, you can now use it and it works great. You can find out how to do it here: https://calamari.io/whats-new/the-coffee-break-icon-on-slack. We're glad you see the benefits of using Calamari for remote and hybrid work. We're also working on releasing a brand new module connected to the employees' documents that will improve the information flow about employees, so stay tuned!

Replied April 2022

Heidi

Machinery, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2021

Easy to Use Attendance tracking, Calendar, Clock out

Good support, easy to use.

PROS

Calamari's calendar is a great way to see who is in the office, traveling or on vacation. We also use it to track who is reserving conference rooms and company vehicles.

CONS

Creating reports to track people's absences is a nice feature but it is not as robust as it could be. We like to track when salespeople are visiting customers and we have to put the customer name in the "reasons" box when it would be nice if it could be a dropdown of our customer list.

Cheaper, easier, more transparent

Reasons for switching to Calamari

Easier to track and automate requests off and have the visible to everyone.

Hello! Thank you for a great review. Great idea to use Calamari to track room and vehicles availability. Nice one! We share our API documentation to help companies create the integrations suited just for their needs. If you want to talk about this possibility some more, please contact us via: https://calamari.io/contact

Replied October 2021

Marek

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Calamari REVIEW

The platform provided an efficient and reliable solution for time tracking, leave management, and attendance tracking.

PROS

There were several aspects of Calamari that I found appealing. One of the things I liked most was its intuitive and user-friendly interface. Navigating through the platform and accessing various features such as time tracking, leave management, and attendance tracking was seamless and straightforward. The availability of mobile apps further enhanced the convenience, allowing employees to manage their time and leave requests on the go. Additionally, the reporting and analytics capabilities provided valuable insights into employee attendance patterns and helped streamline workforce management.

CONS

One area that I liked least was the limited customization options. While the core functionalities of time tracking and leave management were solid, the ability to customize the platform to match specific business requirements was somewhat limited. Having more flexibility in terms of customizing leave policies, approval workflows, and reports would have been beneficial for organizations with unique needs.

Anjula

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2019

Leave Management Made Easy

Hassle-free leave and attendance management system with always smiling customer support team.

PROS

As a startup, I was looking for a perfect solution for leaves and attendance management. By using Calamari, you can approve your employee’s leaves from your fingertips. And every detail you need is available on their dashboard.

CONS

Having issues sometimes with the attendance management as the beacon system doesn't work with us well yet. Hopefully, they will fix it in future as I have faith in them.

Matthew

Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees

Reviewed July 2020

An integrated solution

Our staff’s adoption of Calamari has been smooth. As a time card replacement and a PTO tracker it has been great.

PROS

We were looking for a tools that helped to keep our staff able to manage their hours and leave but also remain within a system that was SSO. Functionality, the more integrated with our identity provider (Microsoft 365) the better for our managment and for staff ease of adoption. Calamari has worked out great. We also appreciate that Calamari worked with us in our unique position to put together a pricing option that considered the blended nature of our staff needs. This was a large value-add.

CONS

We like that Calamari remains under development. It would be nice if it was able to integrate further with the growing system of time and shift managment in Microsoft Teams. This may be a limitation of Microsoft’s structure but we would love to see it nonetheless.

Reason for choosing Calamari

Pricing and Microsoft integration pushed Calamari over the edge competitively.

Jeta

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2022

Leave management system

our company was old school trucking company without a software to manage the time off. The PTO management was done manually and there were a lot of mistakes and confusions.Calamari changed our day to day business life and the requests for PTO were done fast and smooth. Both employees and managers love the transparent calendar function where they can see who is off and when.

PROS

it is very user friendly and easy to use for all employees even those who are not that friendly to technology. I also like the reporting of this software, it is one click and very fast way of getting your data.

CONS

i am very happy with all the functionalities of Calamari. It is very user friendly and to train employees on how to use it it is fast and smooth. I don't have cons.

user friendly and economic

Thank you for your opinion! We're glad that Calamari was able to help your company! It's great to know that organizations from all kinds of industries can benefit from our software. We wish you a great experience and if you would need any help - our Customer Success team is ready to help.

Replied April 2022