Quicken

Quicken Reviews

• icon"It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web."
  • icon"I love the ease of use of this product and how straight forward the layout is. It is also very affordable."
  • icon"I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available."
  • icon"Quicken required user to pay for the new license to update the software to the new version. Since it is regularly updated, the software costs more than just a one-time expense."
  • icon"I have used Quicken for many years and what I dislike the most is that I can no longer purchase the software outright, without Intuit having their claws into my wallet."
  • icon"Quicken blames the banks, but really how can multiple national banks be wrong when Quicken is the company we are paying for this service."

Browse all Quicken Reviews

• Have you used Quicken and would like to share your experience with others?

Harlan

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Quicken works for a smaller office or business

Susan

March 2022

Ideal for My Solorpreneur Marketing Consulting Business

I am very pleased with the ease of entering data into the system. It saves me the cost of having a bookkeeper. I am able to categorize expenses myself and take full advantage of knowing what i was buying for business and for personal life. I know it is saving my a lot on my taxes, as I have proof of my deductions versus just guessing. It used to take me days to prepare my docs for my CPA not it is in a matter of hours I have all the numbers she will need.

Pros

The best feature I like is the way you can split items on a receipt into their own categories. For example, I go to Walgreens and buy cosmetics, copy paper, thank you notes, and business head shot photo prints. I enter Walgreens for the Payee, then I assign / split where the expenses will go in my categories. Cosmetic - Personal Care, Copy Paper, thank you notes - Business: Office Supplies, Photo prints - Business: Photography. I make my tax reporting a breeze for my Schedule C line items. I also love generating reports on income and expenses. Great for planning or estimating funds for seasonal work loads.

Cons

It actually has more features than I want to use. For example - the investment section, I tried to use it - but to enter buy - sell information and dividends and details was way too time consuming for me. I just as soon get my reports from my brokerage firm.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

I was told to use Quickbooks, but when I tried it - it was way too complex for me. I do not like to generate invoices in the accounting software - which Quickbooks is big on. I stopped using it, and I went to the simpler more basic Quicken for Home, Business and Rental Property. Expenses and Income in and reports out. Bingo. It has served me well.

Gerardo

Great cash management tool

I used Microsoft Money for years and by far this is a much better product than what MsMoney was, I highly recommend it.

Pros

I use it daily to reconcile my bank accounts and it is done just by downloading the bank's transactions, I use it a lot for writing cheques.

Cons

Quicken often has issue connecting automatically to the financial institutions, therefore I prefer to manually download the transactions which is don in just a few seconds.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

Microsoft Money was no longer available and it was also time for a change.

Industry: Law Practice

August 2022

Not nearly as good as the Quicken of old before sold by Intuit

I have been using Quicken for decades and it was always wonderful software. Since Intuit sold out Quicken simply has far more bugs, does not work nearly as well as the prior versions. Its too late for me to switch, but if you are starting out in your own business, consider whatever alternatives out there are available before getting bogged down with this now very buggy product. Its the old cliche I guess, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Of course this new company had to change everything up, in particular the reports function and now I find it misses transactions often enough that I don't trust the software for accuracy.

Pros

It does its job though not nearly as well as the older versions

Cons

Very, very buggy and far more difficult to use than the older version

Adam

Best choice for home finances

Quicken has great tools to help you monitor progress towards your financial goals

Pros

I've need satisfied with this product for years to do my home bookkeeping and budgeting. The reporting and tools make it easy for anyone

Cons

There were some bugs in earlier versions that caused confusion and inconvenience but they seem to be rectified now

Kelli

May 2022

Easier to learn that Quickbooks but not as many features

Works really well for keeping track of spending across multiple accounts and offers simple solutions for designating expenses.

Pros

I was able to easily import out multiple business accounts into Quicken, something I was not able to do with Quickbooks. Updating accounts is quick and easy too. I like the simple flagging option that allows me to mark a transaction for later investigation.

Cons

Will not generate a simple profit and loss statement based on accounts. I understand Quicken is meant more for personal, than business use, but it would still be a nice feature to have.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

Actually just added to Quickbooks to keep track of spending in a simpler more user friendly format.

Ronald

Financial advisor at home

It's definitely a program for those that want to financially become stable and have emergency money for the future. Not only that, it allows one to see how much income they're having versus their spending budget.

Pros

I love how I can allocate and precisely place all my bills and financial endeavors and categories that will project my budget to allow me to save money

Cons

Didn't like how it told some of my future payments that allocated my interest for my car payments which made me want to lower my APR for the future investments that I had

Aryana

quicken is inexpensive but has errors

I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available. There was a lot of trouble importing transactions which is why I stopped using it. It wouldn't import automatically and I had to download from the bank and Paypal and then upload.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

The lack of importing made it really hard to work with Quicken. I also liked that Kashoo is cloud-based and their customer service is awesome.

Industry: Music

June 2022

Can't Go Wrong with Quicken!

For me it has been the perfect first finance software , and has remained strong over the years. While I don't use it as much as I used to, it remains a vital part of keeping track of my personal finances both for tax purposes and budgeting. I highly recommend it, especially for self employed folks!

Pros

Quicken is nothing short of a professional and complete software. I've used different versions of Quicken over the years and it continues to get updated to be better and better. I love how simple it is it first and foremost, as even small business owners and non professionals can easily use the program. I find it best for personal finance, as you can make extensive budgets and keep track of your income and expenses. Especially great for self-employed people like myself.

Cons

There isn't anything I can think of that I really dislike about Quicken! Maybe I would say that there isn't the best upgrade system in place for those that have previous versions over the years, as the software dates back over 30 years.

Allen

Industry: Biotechnology

They just got greedy

Overall I enjoyed the subset of features I use. If their price hadn't doubled, I probably would continue using Quicken.

Pros

Ability to handle stocks and banks. Ability to balance bank and stock accounts.

Cons

They made it so one HAS to pay the equivalent of a brand new copy every year. I had stand-alone copies for twenty+ years. Then they said every three years one needed to buy a new copy. Then yearly subscription. Subscription was the equivalent of new purchase every other year. Now every year. My accounts were never balanced, nor was there a way to balance my mutual accounts.

Cost

Melinda

June 2022

Quicken: a frustrating user experience

Pros

The inexpensive cost is what drew me to use this software and because it is very well known I feel more secure using this.

Cons

The most frustrating aspect of this software is that after inputting several items and spending a lot of time making sure they are correct, often they become uncategorized and make this software a complete headache to use. The whole purpose of this software is to track spending/budget (at least in my case) and when it isn't working properly I start to wonder why I haven't switched to a different software altogether.

Max

July 2022

Quicken is a solid budget friendly tool

Pros

fairly easy to use and navigate. Some of their features could use some updating for more user friendliness, but most can use with ease.

Cons

Like I said in the pro department sometimes it was difficult to navigate certain features especially if I was less familiar with it.

Lack of availability for Mac

I cannot say more than I already have. I’ve had to save information on my Mac and then pick it up on my PC just to send an invoice. This is inconvenient. It takes time that could be better off spend doing other things. Please, Quicken, bring Home and Business to Mac. Also, allow the ability to edit previous entries. I’ve noticed issues in the past that could have been easily fixed with an edit button, but you cannot. This should be fixed. As the leader in accounting software, it should have more features available than it does.

Pros

Quicken seems to be the go-to accounting software in the industry, so naturally we went with it. We were very happy with Quicken, as it is easy to teach to our new employees. I also really like the seamlessness of the program between a Mac and a PC. My laptop is a Mac while my home computer is a PC, and I find that the program itself is very similar on both platforms, and thus very easy to use. However, we initially intended to purchase Quicken for Home and Business, but it is not available for Mac, so we had to take a step back and purchase Quicken Premier. This was more than slightly annoying, but we managed to make it work.

Cons

The lack of availability of Home and Business for Mac is a big con for me. The Home and Business program allows for custom invoices, which would look really good for our small business. We also wanted the ability to track our profit and loss, so we purchased it for my home computer. We can still send out the custom invoices on our PCs, but it would be a lot easier if it were available for Mac. Hopefully, there will be an option to purchase Home and Business in the future for Mac.

Patrick

Best Desktop Accounting Software

That software allows you to back up in the cloud and your computer. It has all the special effects at Quickbooks.

Pros

Ease of use and it allows you to add multiple businesses or personal accounts. The price is what it should be for accounting software. Excellent Support, I used the support two times and was very impressed with the customer service.

Cons

No way that I know of to recover the password vault.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

It's the old Quicken but better.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

The price, it's significantly less than most competitors.

Emerson

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Have used it for years, still liking it!

Good, easy tool to track your money, some technical issues with downloading.

Pros

Quicken quickly and efficiently tracks all my spending, earning and investments, and I have been able to link most of my accounts so it does it automatically.

Cons

Not all accounts can be linked, especially not international ones. And occasionally it has brought in duplicate transactions which are a nightmare to reconcile.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

Quicken automates the interface with my banks and investment firms, so I don't have to maintain a bunch of different spreadsheets - and it gives me a fast, easy dashboard to keep it updated and see where I stand at a glance.

Phil

Serious improvement is only possible with serious measurement

These days we all have multiple accounts: checking, savings, investing, real estate, retirement, etc. All these accounts are necessary in today's world, however, keeping track of them all is a serious problem. Quicken is a tool that will bring all of these accounts into a single dashboard and help you stay on top of all the changes. While Quicken is an older piece of software and will probably never see a full rewrite to make it more modern, it is the only option for serious personal finance and it works well enough to get the job done.

Pros

It allows me to stay on top of my finances by downloading transactions from all my accounts into a single dashboard. It allows me to answer any question I have about my finances.

Cons

It is slow! Simple tasks like reconciling an account can be aggravating as the hourglass icon comes up way more often then it should for a simple task. I have run this on a modern Intel Core i7 processor and it is still a dog. You definitely need to be patient with this software.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

Mint has very limited functionality. It gives you a decent overview and could be useful for those with basic personal finance needs. Mint is like the Ford Fiesta and Quicken is the F-150.

Daan

Amazing -cheap- accounting software

Great experience.

Pros

The software has a solid UI so it is easy to see where your money goes. Easy to use and practical. Great for small to medium businesses because it is not very expensive and has many features.

Cons

The interface can look a bit outdated to some, but al the information you need is there. In 1 place. Very convenient.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

Quicken is more known in our area.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

Quicken is more known in our area.

Thandile

Extraordinary for following your financial status, all around incredible.

Exceptional for getting your records all together and starting to see elevated perspective where you and your money is. I could have done without the evaporated features before my last update yet i'm adequate now. It's one of my essential applications!

Pros

It's a direct mechanical assembly to use for most business structures fit for managing trades, taking everything into account, and repeat. It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web. Having the option to see each record in one spot truly permits you to all the more likely control your funds and spending plan. It's absolutely the best.

Cons

What I have gotten extremely astounded with is the marking in and my intuit ID. At whatever point the systems logs me out, for no good reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my standard page, it makes another page and new record for me. It's terrifying and it has been occurring even more once in a while. In like manner, I do feel the spending section of the application could use some work. I genuinely cherished it as a matter of first importance, however at this point it is fairly a desolation to use and have not used it since.

MARK

Great financial tool! I would be lost without it!

I love this tool and use it daily to track all of my finances. i would be lost without it!

Pros

I love how quicken puts all of your financial companies all in one view. The biggest reason i switched from Yodlee was the fact you could add recurring future dated transactions. Many financial tracking tools do not have this. This was a make or break feature for me, as I like to see exactly how much money i will have in the bank in 30,60, 90 etc.. days in the future. Quicken does this, and does it wonderfully!

Cons

The only con I can think of is there are too many features. I am by no means a power user, and just use the basic transaction features. I do not use any of the budgeting tools or other such things, but I am sure they are very useful to others. It would be nice to see a simple mode that turned off many of those features if you are not using them

Reasons for switching to Quicken

i could not do future data transactions anymore

Industry: Law Practice

stay up to date quickly with quicken

We first started using this back in 2003. we have used the different versions over time as they upgrade. It is great because our account is well versed in the program, and therefore it saves us time and money to do the year-end reports.

Pros

This program is very versatile. Our account appreciates the account version that we can send him to do our year ends or PPP. It saves from manually recording checks into the register, allows us to split receipts, and split how we pay. the program is easy to use, and our bookkeeper can find online help or customer service help quickly and accurately. This is a program that is worth the money, and you won't switch because the years build off of each other.

Cons

It takes a little time to understand how it works. You need to really pay attention to how you set your program up and enter the data to distinguish between vendors, clients, etc., overall a solid program accepted in the industry.

Roger

USe it daily and have since the early 1990,s

Pros

Puts all your finances in one place, updates all accounts with minimal keystrokes rather than having to go to each website yourself (Saving lots of time) works like an on-screen checkbook. See your net worth accounts and liabilities in one place. Navigation is easy as a click of the mouse.

Cons

Intuit, the author, recently sold Quicken to an Investment Group. When Microsoft dropped MS Money, Quicken became the Monopoly in the market. Now the new company made some changes and icons are different, some screens have pop-up windows that don't work right, and the internet is full of complaints from long time users. Most of the glitches I found are minor, but changes were made so that everyone had to renew in-order to be able to access all your accounts online with Quicken, a strategy they may use to continually force upgrades and fees! Watch for this. This is what happens when someone sees a chance to capitalize on a monopoly!

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

A Product Whose Time Has Passed

Pros

Quicken for more than a decade has been "the" standard for personal financial management and I used it for many years to track my families spending habits, transactions, retirement and more. It's "the" gold standard for anyone looking to track their financial health.

Cons

Multiple online products, including Mint which is also owned by Intuit that makes Quicken, covers 90% of the features/functions that you would normally run on your computer. For those that don't want to trust their information to such web/cloud services then Quicken still remains a viable option. However, in recent years Quicken has begun to scale back on services like Bill Pay as banks and other online services take over. I don't think Quicken is going away any time soon, but it's very clear that it's time has passed and it's only a matter of time until Intuit makes the decision to retire the software.

Lynn

Don't give up - it's probably worth it.

I had used many different types of accounting software for small and large businesses. So when I wanted a software program for my own purposes, and to grow from our personal finances into a small side business, I expected to use Quickbooks because I was familiar. Someone recommended Quicken. I tried to set it up 3 times in a free trial period, but it seemed very difficult, so I let it slide. One slow day, I persevered and completed the set up. Thank goodness I did. Once the set up is complete, the functioning is so much smoother and easier than Quickbooks was for my purposes. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I am saving time and money by using Quicken now. Well worth the effort in the set up.

Pros

The functionality has impressed me. It's bill pay feature is better than I had anticipated, and it's layout and easy viewing is making it one of my new favorite accounting software programs - and I've had many. I didn't think I would want to stray from Quickbooks, but 3 months in and I am thinking I may not want to ever go back. Correction.... I am thinking I may not ever NEED to go back.

Cons

I was a little overwhelmed in the set up - which is why I set up my accounts in the free trial 3 times and let it sit for months. It seemed too daunting and I was scared it would be way too complex and difficult to navigate. I just didn't give it chance. Once you get past the start, it's way easier, I believe, than Quickbooks. Simpler, so it may not be for everyone, but it is for my purposes.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

Eventually....ease of use. Very user friendly after the initial set up.

Reasons for switching to Quicken

Recommendation of family member.

Cheryl

Great Personal Bookkeeping Software

I really love using Quicken. I would definitely recommend it for use for personal bookkeeping.

Pros

Quicken is very, very easy to use. It is great for bookkeeping for personal accounts. The basic Quicken does not track debt and investments, so if you want to do that you have to upgrade to the more expensive one.

Cons

This software cannot really be used for business use. Also, I used to be able to buy the CD and install it on my computer and use it for 3 or 4 years. Now you have to pay a yearly fee to use the software. Also, when I bought the CD I could keep up with my loans and investments. Now you have to pay quite a bit more to do that.

Reasons for choosing Quicken

It was a long, long time ago when I decided to use Quicken. I am glad I did not use Microsoft Money because I don't believe they even make it anymore.

Doug

have to hold your nose to deal with thieving Intuit (maker of quicken)

it sucks; see the cons.

Pros

works most of the time but not always as upgrades have frequently broke my configured reports

Cons

they changed to a subscription service a couple years ago and force you to pay every year when I (and millions of other users) were perfectly content with the software that we already paid them for. While I hated that they were extorting a fee from me I almost got taken by them again when I went to downgrade my service to the lowest level. Their order form online starts the subscription the day you do the downgrade rather than starting it after my existing, already paid, subscription ends (which results in them stealing another month of fees from me). I hate them but as my title suggests; I put up with them because there is no other product that does what it does as well.