• Pros

• "It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web."

• "I love the ease of use of this product and how straight forward the layout is. It is also very affordable."

• "I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available."

• Cons

• "Quicken required user to pay for the new license to update the software to the new version. Since it is regularly updated, the software costs more than just a one-time expense."

• "I have used Quicken for many years and what I dislike the most is that I can no longer purchase the software outright, without Intuit having their claws into my wallet."

• "Quicken blames the banks, but really how can multiple national banks be wrong when Quicken is the company we are paying for this service."

Browse Quicken Reviews

Daniel from Dan Francis Law Firm PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

stay up to date quickly with quicken

We first started using this back in 2003. we have used the different versions over time as they upgrade. It is great because our account is well versed in the program, and therefore it saves us time and money to do the year-end reports.

Pros

This program is very versatile. Our account appreciates the account version that we can send him to do our year ends or PPP. It saves from manually recording checks into the register, allows us to split receipts, and split how we pay. the program is easy to use, and our bookkeeper can find online help or customer service help quickly and accurately. This is a program that is worth the money, and you won't switch because the years build off of each other.

Cons

It takes a little time to understand how it works. You need to really pay attention to how you set your program up and enter the data to distinguish between vendors, clients, etc., overall a solid program accepted in the industry.

Patrick from Connect Locals LLC

Best Desktop Accounting Software

That software allows you to back up in the cloud and your computer. It has all the special effects at Quickbooks.

Pros

Ease of use and it allows you to add multiple businesses or personal accounts. The price is what it should be for accounting software. Excellent Support, I used the support two times and was very impressed with the customer service.

Cons

No way that I know of to recover the password vault.

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

It's the old Quicken but better.

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

The price, it's significantly less than most competitors.

MARK from Hastings Mutual

Great financial tool! I would be lost without it!

I love this tool and use it daily to track all of my finances. i would be lost without it!

Pros

I love how quicken puts all of your financial companies all in one view. The biggest reason i switched from Yodlee was the fact you could add recurring future dated transactions. Many financial tracking tools do not have this. This was a make or break feature for me, as I like to see exactly how much money i will have in the bank in 30,60, 90 etc.. days in the future. Quicken does this, and does it wonderfully!

Cons

The only con I can think of is there are too many features. I am by no means a power user, and just use the basic transaction features. I do not use any of the budgeting tools or other such things, but I am sure they are very useful to others. It would be nice to see a simple mode that turned off many of those features if you are not using them

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

i could not do future data transactions anymore

Aryana from Higher True Self - Life Change Training

quicken is inexpensive but has errors

I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available. There was a lot of trouble importing transactions which is why I stopped using it. It wouldn't import automatically and I had to download from the bank and Paypal and then upload.

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

The lack of importing made it really hard to work with Quicken. I also liked that Kashoo is cloud-based and their customer service is awesome.

Thandile from Self-Employed

Extraordinary for following your financial status, all around incredible.

Exceptional for getting your records all together and starting to see elevated perspective where you and your money is. I could have done without the evaporated features before my last update yet i'm adequate now. It's one of my essential applications!

Pros

It's a direct mechanical assembly to use for most business structures fit for managing trades, taking everything into account, and repeat. It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web. Having the option to see each record in one spot truly permits you to all the more likely control your funds and spending plan. It's absolutely the best.

Cons

What I have gotten extremely astounded with is the marking in and my intuit ID. At whatever point the systems logs me out, for no good reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my standard page, it makes another page and new record for me. It's terrifying and it has been occurring even more once in a while. In like manner, I do feel the spending section of the application could use some work. I genuinely cherished it as a matter of first importance, however at this point it is fairly a desolation to use and have not used it since.

Emerson from Emerson Howell Nagel & Associates

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Have used it for years, still liking it!

Good, easy tool to track your money, some technical issues with downloading.

Pros

Quicken quickly and efficiently tracks all my spending, earning and investments, and I have been able to link most of my accounts so it does it automatically.

Cons

Not all accounts can be linked, especially not international ones. And occasionally it has brought in duplicate transactions which are a nightmare to reconcile.

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Quicken automates the interface with my banks and investment firms, so I don't have to maintain a bunch of different spreadsheets - and it gives me a fast, easy dashboard to keep it updated and see where I stand at a glance.

Fernando from Bellemont Plaza

Great experience. The technology is great. Just hard to keep up with the monthly fees for a small business.

Pros

I like it. I just don't like monthly fees or having to upgrade to be able to connect bank accounts for automatic upgraded on my financial statements.

Cons

Good software. Easy to use and practical. Helps you accomplish accounting needs in an easy way. Connecting directly to your banks helps you get things done faster.

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

Price and free connection and bank account info upgrades for free. Since they started charging to upgrade to be able to get the bank information automatically upgraded, as per the needs of my small business, I have switched to another software that lets me connect and upgrade the info for free.

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Price. It was cheaper, and in the beginning, I could connect to my bank accounts and upgrade my bank info for free.

Peter from DBC

30-Year Quicken User

Intuit is so exploitive, that I would actually consider them to be immoral and I have tried many times to move to a different product, but they make it very difficult.

Pros

Of the personal finance managers, Quicken is probably the best. Other packages at or below this cost lack a majority of their features and in order to get them, you would have to upgrade to a much more expensive package, so it is at a price sweet spot.

Cons

I've been using Quicken since 1992 and consider myself quite familiar with the package. The Quicken business model is and always has been exploitive and has been adding and subtracting features for years in an attempt to always have a new product to sell. Their current subscription model is no different. However, they never improve the product. There are bugs still there that have been there since the 90's. They're reports and windows do not zoom. They do not use Windows conventions, for example keystrokes. When working properly, it provides a lot of value, but it is very easy to introduce errors into the data and impossible to fix them. Their customer support is an absolute joke. It's normally a 40-minute queue to talk to an idiot and they are so propaganda driven, that they delete any negative posts or reviews from their sites and their forum. They purposely obstruct you from transferring to their competitors. I myself have had to purchase 7 versions of the program since 2000 and that's BEFORE they moved to a subscription model. Every release introduces more bugs, but they make it impossible to freeze a particular version, constantly cutting off web access and they have Upgrade Nags constantly that you can't get rid of. And they are entirely shameless about it.

Quicken is great

It has been massively helpful with personal finance and keeping track of bank account balances.

Pros

I like Quicken for how it's fairly easy to set things up. I prefer manual sync since I prefer creating payees on my own, but it gives me a pretty good view of my expenses and the stocks I have.

Cons

I'm not a fan of the subscription pricing, but to their credit Quicken did credit me a discount when I asked them after initially purchasing the software without one. I do wish the budgeting was a bit better as it's not perfect, and sometimes I feel like the direct bank sync can be a bit wonky when it comes to sharing information.

melissa from DALTON AUTO EXPRESS, INC

RENEW SUBSCRIPTION REMINDER

WAS A VERY HAPPY USER FOR 21 YEARS.....NOT NOW!! THEY SHOULD ADVERTISE IF YOU DO NOT PURCHACE THE MEMBERSHIP THEY WILL MAKE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE SOFTWARE NOT USER FRIENDLY. IF YOU ARE A BUSINESS LIKE MINE THAT YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DOWNLOAD INFORMATION FROM ONLINE....YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER A DIFFERENT PROGRAM BECAUSE THEY ARE TAKING UP YOUR SCREEN SPACE WITH ADVERTISEMENTS.

Pros

I HAVE BEEN A QUICKEN USER (MOSTLY 2004 VERSION)FOR OVER 21 YEARS. I FINALLY SAID I SHOULD UPDATE MY QUICKEN PROGRAM. THAT BEING SAID I UPDATED TO 2019 VERSION. THE PROGRAM IS WHAT I EXPECTED TILL THE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP RAN OUT THAT THEY GIVE YOU FOR PURCHACING THE PROGRAM. I DO NOT NEED ANY DOWNLOADS FROM BANKS ETC. I ENTER ALL MY INFORMATION MANUALLY. THEY SAY YOU DO NOT NEED TO PURCHACE ANY ADDITIONAL MEMBERSHIP IF YOU WANT TO ENTER MANUALLY.

Cons

THEY TAKE UP YOUR AVAILABLE SCREEN SPACE WITH A LARGE BANNER ADVERTISING TO RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP. SO NOW YOU CANNOT USE THE SCREEN SPACE AND SEE YOUR BALANCES AND OTHER INFORMATION EASILY. MEMBERSHIP IS $89 A YEAR. THAT IS A HEAVY COST TO PAY TO REMOVE THEIR ADVERTISEMENT FROM MY SCREEN!!!!

James from Technology intelligence Agency

Lack of availability for Mac

I cannot say more than I already have. I’ve had to save information on my Mac and then pick it up on my PC just to send an invoice. This is inconvenient. It takes time that could be better off spend doing other things. Please, Quicken, bring Home and Business to Mac. Also, allow the ability to edit previous entries. I’ve noticed issues in the past that could have been easily fixed with an edit button, but you cannot. This should be fixed. As the leader in accounting software, it should have more features available than it does.

Pros

Quicken seems to be the go-to accounting software in the industry, so naturally we went with it. We were very happy with Quicken, as it is easy to teach to our new employees. I also really like the seamlessness of the program between a Mac and a PC. My laptop is a Mac while my home computer is a PC, and I find that the program itself is very similar on both platforms, and thus very easy to use. However, we initially intended to purchase Quicken for Home and Business, but it is not available for Mac, so we had to take a step back and purchase Quicken Premier. This was more than slightly annoying, but we managed to make it work.

Cons

The lack of availability of Home and Business for Mac is a big con for me. The Home and Business program allows for custom invoices, which would look really good for our small business. We also wanted the ability to track our profit and loss, so we purchased it for my home computer. We can still send out the custom invoices on our PCs, but it would be a lot easier if it were available for Mac. Hopefully, there will be an option to purchase Home and Business in the future for Mac.

Phil from Step Above Homes

Serious improvement is only possible with serious measurement

These days we all have multiple accounts: checking, savings, investing, real estate, retirement, etc. All these accounts are necessary in today's world, however, keeping track of them all is a serious problem. Quicken is a tool that will bring all of these accounts into a single dashboard and help you stay on top of all the changes. While Quicken is an older piece of software and will probably never see a full rewrite to make it more modern, it is the only option for serious personal finance and it works well enough to get the job done.

Pros

It allows me to stay on top of my finances by downloading transactions from all my accounts into a single dashboard. It allows me to answer any question I have about my finances.

Cons

It is slow! Simple tasks like reconciling an account can be aggravating as the hourglass icon comes up way more often then it should for a simple task. I have run this on a modern Intel Core i7 processor and it is still a dog. You definitely need to be patient with this software.

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

Mint has very limited functionality. It gives you a decent overview and could be useful for those with basic personal finance needs. Mint is like the Ford Fiesta and Quicken is the F-150.

Roger from The DYNACO Group

USe it daily and have since the early 1990,s

Pros

Puts all your finances in one place, updates all accounts with minimal keystrokes rather than having to go to each website yourself (Saving lots of time) works like an on-screen checkbook. See your net worth accounts and liabilities in one place. Navigation is easy as a click of the mouse.

Cons

Intuit, the author, recently sold Quicken to an Investment Group. When Microsoft dropped MS Money, Quicken became the Monopoly in the market. Now the new company made some changes and icons are different, some screens have pop-up windows that don't work right, and the internet is full of complaints from long time users. Most of the glitches I found are minor, but changes were made so that everyone had to renew in-order to be able to access all your accounts online with Quicken, a strategy they may use to continually force upgrades and fees! Watch for this. This is what happens when someone sees a chance to capitalize on a monopoly!

David from The Wish Project

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

A Product Whose Time Has Passed

Pros

Quicken for more than a decade has been "the" standard for personal financial management and I used it for many years to track my families spending habits, transactions, retirement and more. It's "the" gold standard for anyone looking to track their financial health.

Cons

Multiple online products, including Mint which is also owned by Intuit that makes Quicken, covers 90% of the features/functions that you would normally run on your computer. For those that don't want to trust their information to such web/cloud services then Quicken still remains a viable option. However, in recent years Quicken has begun to scale back on services like Bill Pay as banks and other online services take over. I don't think Quicken is going away any time soon, but it's very clear that it's time has passed and it's only a matter of time until Intuit makes the decision to retire the software.

Lynn from Arts and Crafts

Don't give up - it's probably worth it.

I had used many different types of accounting software for small and large businesses. So when I wanted a software program for my own purposes, and to grow from our personal finances into a small side business, I expected to use Quickbooks because I was familiar. Someone recommended Quicken. I tried to set it up 3 times in a free trial period, but it seemed very difficult, so I let it slide. One slow day, I persevered and completed the set up. Thank goodness I did. Once the set up is complete, the functioning is so much smoother and easier than Quickbooks was for my purposes. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I am saving time and money by using Quicken now. Well worth the effort in the set up.

Pros

The functionality has impressed me. It's bill pay feature is better than I had anticipated, and it's layout and easy viewing is making it one of my new favorite accounting software programs - and I've had many. I didn't think I would want to stray from Quickbooks, but 3 months in and I am thinking I may not want to ever go back. Correction.... I am thinking I may not ever NEED to go back.

Cons

I was a little overwhelmed in the set up - which is why I set up my accounts in the free trial 3 times and let it sit for months. It seemed too daunting and I was scared it would be way too complex and difficult to navigate. I just didn't give it chance. Once you get past the start, it's way easier, I believe, than Quickbooks. Simpler, so it may not be for everyone, but it is for my purposes.

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

Eventually....ease of use. Very user friendly after the initial set up.

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Recommendation of family member.

Cheryl from Common Cents Bookkeeping Services

Great Personal Bookkeeping Software

I really love using Quicken. I would definitely recommend it for use for personal bookkeeping.

Pros

Quicken is very, very easy to use. It is great for bookkeeping for personal accounts. The basic Quicken does not track debt and investments, so if you want to do that you have to upgrade to the more expensive one.

Cons

This software cannot really be used for business use. Also, I used to be able to buy the CD and install it on my computer and use it for 3 or 4 years. Now you have to pay a yearly fee to use the software. Also, when I bought the CD I could keep up with my loans and investments. Now you have to pay quite a bit more to do that.

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

It was a long, long time ago when I decided to use Quicken. I am glad I did not use Microsoft Money because I don't believe they even make it anymore.

Doug from Financial Services

have to hold your nose to deal with thieving Intuit (maker of quicken)

it sucks; see the cons.

Pros

works most of the time but not always as upgrades have frequently broke my configured reports

Cons

they changed to a subscription service a couple years ago and force you to pay every year when I (and millions of other users) were perfectly content with the software that we already paid them for. While I hated that they were extorting a fee from me I almost got taken by them again when I went to downgrade my service to the lowest level. Their order form online starts the subscription the day you do the downgrade rather than starting it after my existing, already paid, subscription ends (which results in them stealing another month of fees from me). I hate them but as my title suggests; I put up with them because there is no other product that does what it does as well.

Ruben from CableComm

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Another all-time favorite agonizes in the mobile era

Quicken needs to move faster to mobile and cloud if it really wants to survive. 100% integration with QuickBooks, additional security features, support for more cloud backup providers are features that should be already available but are no show. Intuit own's Mint App is an example of how Quicken should be but, for some reason, they have decided to continue working on the same outdated software instead of relaunching. Still, Quicken is a big respected brand in the financial software world that continues to be one of my favorites.

Pros

- A longtime runner with a big user fan base - The very familiar interface allows old users to upgrade without a steep learning curve - Very similar Mac and Windows version allows painless platform switch - Supports most banks and account syncing in The US - Does not require a monthly or annual fee

Cons

- The interface is beginning to look a bit outdated compared to new mobile apps available for iOS and Android - No equivalent mobile version available - Cloud syncing and backup is limited and not easy to setup (dropbox required) - Version to version upgrades sometimes include little to no enough new features for the price (That's why some users are still using 5-8 years old versions)

Joseph from ComCon Enterprises, Inc.

Good bang for the buck for basic accounting

Smaller businesses with less than 30 rentals, should be able to use this software and compensate for te deficiencies with desktop software like excel. This would be a very cost effective way of having computerized check register and reporting while minimizing software costs.

Pros

Integration with almost every bank to download transactions automatically makes me confident that we will not miss any transaction and keeps me updated on our balances on a daily basis. Categories and Tags are very powerful and flexible tools that allow you to custom configure how you use the software and define your reporting requirements.

Cons

Other than a good transaction register (with categories & Tags) , the program lacks many needed features for managing a rental business. The rental aspect is almost non-existaent.

Just works

Works and just is what I need for my small business.

Pros

I have been using quickens for a very long time, it works for my needs. I run a simple company and do not use many of the features that are provided. The one feature that I do like the most is being able to download from the bank to the program to make sure I have the correct balance. However, when you send out a check sometimes via the bank check program it may post twice when written then when cashed. Just something to keep in mind. It also works for when I need to start and complete my taxes.

Cons

When you send out a check sometimes via the bank check program it may post twice when written then when cashed.

Darcy from Darcy Carozza Business Services

Quicken Customer Service and product ease of functionality drop since Intuit Split

After about two decades of relying on this software for myself and some clients, I am now reluctantly looking for a replacement program.

Pros

It's super easy to utilize if you have basic bookkeeping experience and you are not accounting for investments. Menu options are sensibly grouped. Back up and restore super easy if you want to move copies of file(s) to different computers.

Cons

Although this software has been very predictable and adequate for a long time, it has become less desirable since split from Intuit. Good luck getting thru to customer service, there have been so many complications to their change over that they are drowning in calls. Their operators are overwhelmed and seem to 'accidentally' hang up on a call all too frequently, after exhaustive hold times. I have been prompted repeatedly to change my passwords during the transition, and rather annoyingly, each time it is updated a different verification email is sent with a code that must be entered, that quickly expires. Don't get distracted, or you have to start all over! Just really inefficient, non-intuitive programming.

Jason from Austin Pool and Spa

Mostly good/ some annoyances

Pros

Links your bank account. Does recurring invoices Can file your taxes Payroll Can set up automatic payment for customers.

Cons

Can link two recurring invoices for a customer. Ex. The regular monthly invoice then when the semi annual invoice needs to be billed it doesn’t link so I have to print two invoices. Also, when I print all the invoices it doesn’t print each person’s invoice right after the other. So I end up searching for that second invoice. It’s a mess. It sounds so confusing to read what I wrote. But basically sometimes I end up sending two separate envelopes on the same month for one customer because when it needs to be printed it doesn’t organize then invoices per customer.

Mike from Alpha Insurance

Is there anything out there other than Quicken?????

If I could give less than 1 star I would! I have been a huge supporter of Quicken in the past. I encouraged my kids and clients and anyone that would listen to use Quicken. Sorry! I have now gone to using my online banking bill pay through my bank which is free!

Pros

This used to be a great product! I have used it since 1993 to track my business finances and investments. It really helps at tax time.

Cons

Support is worse than non-existent. It is March 8th and I have been trying to get support since the first week in January. I was on the phone with a rep for 2 hours trying to get bill pay to work. I was told to hang on I need to ask my manager about that and then hung up on. I tried chatting and was told that you cannot use chat for online bill pay. Called the support number and was told that there is a special number for online bill pay. I called that number and was told by the rep that I needed to go to quickenbillpay.com but he would stay on the line and would call me back if I got disconnected. That was a week ago. Still havent gotten at call. Went through the insutructions on the quickenbillpay.com website to set up a new account and it indicated it would take 2 -3 days to set up an account and I would receive 2 transactions on my bank statement from them. Check my statement and then come back and enter those figures to confirm I own the account. That was 6 days ago and still no transactions. Yesterday I received an email that I must send in 1. My drivers License. 2. My Social Security Card. 3. my most recent utility bill from water, gas, or electric company only. 4. A voided check from each account I want to use. Sounds like an internet scam to me. I called quicken and explained I wasn't comfortable sending all of this over the internet and by the way I have been paying for your services for 25 years and now you want all of this info. Their response is quicken was sold and that they are a new company and they have to have the info or no bill pay services! No wonder they bill pay services are now included in the Premier package. No one can use it! The bad part is I have all of my payments for cars, houses, utilities, credit cards set up for auto pay using quicken bill pay. Now I have to find another way to get them paid because it has taken 2 months and I still am not set up for bill pay. By the way they don't tell you this is what happens when you download Quicken 2018. Beware!

Tamara from WRMC

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Its all about the profits now......

Although I am sounding as though I am resistant to forwarding technology, I am not. There are just certain things that I feel should be more protected and so far, technology has failed to prevent hackers and identity thieves from accessing peoples information due to companies insistence in having our information all over the internet and web. There was nothing wrong with the old QUICKEN but greed is no playing a part in the new QUICKEN that separated from INTUIT.

Pros

I loved it when it was an actual software that could be purchased and had no yearly subscription fee. Prior to them separating from Intuit, this was my software of choice. Ease of use and the ability to choose to have your information inaccessible to internet hackers and not out there for anyone to see.

Cons

2007 saw the end of exceptional quality. Went from a software that you can purchase and utilize without having to pay a yearly subscription to a for profit only software with yearly subscription in 2017-2018 update. Now if you want to use this software you have to pay for it yearly. 2007 utilized an update that caused major issues with previous versions. The font became too large to fit in the windows that popped up, the reconciliation failed to work properly, did not give accurate numbers.(Quicken blamed this on the PC Operating system....Funny, no other software on my PC had these issues). They refused to fix the issues they created and then came out with a new update that once you applied the update, 2017-2018, you had to start paying yearly or live with the issues that were created by the previous update. I now have fuzzy font, like old school DOS systems, and a yearly subscription for more bells and whistles that I will ever utilize. Not everyone wants to use mobile access and expose themselves to more and more risk of hackers to steal information.

Michael from MC Tax Consulting

Quicken

Still one of the easier desktop bookkeeping software to use. Too bad no one else can create a competitive desktop bookkeeping software for the general public. Many competitors created only an online version which can be Useless if something happens to your PC or you don't have power or an internet connection! Worse, there's a monthly fee for their online versions!

Pros

Relatively simple to use as the basic program is basically an electronic version of a check register. Many financial institutions have a Quicken export function for its online banking feature making bank reconciliation a bit easier.

Cons

Don't need to use other features like investment tracker which is essentially useless for most other people Intuit FORCES people to set up an ONLINE account to link the program to, mainly for tracking and marketing purposes which is complete BS! Update function has moved over the years that it's not as simple to just click 'update' anymore JUST to update Quicken and NOTHING else! Be careful about importing information as it may not import 100% of the banking information, similar to QB. Intuit keeps marketing you to join its other financial services!

Nina from Remax Town Center

Quicken Rental Property Manager works some of the time

I've been using this program for over 10 years and while it it not perfect it is better than nothing. I would like the rental part to be easier and more reliable to use. I like that you can integrate Zillow estimates and values to properties.

Pros

I liked that it integrates all my accounts and I can track rentals, home and business at the same time. Reports are fairly accurate and are very useful for accounting and tracking purposes.

Cons

Has bugs that I cannot figure out. Sometimes the transfers don't ever show up and the accounts get messed up. Hard to track rents in the format that is available. I can't figure out how to enter and keep all reconciled the way they want you to do it.

Subscrption Only - Goodbuy Quicken

Basic checkbook maintenance is good. All the "whistles and bells" added are not worth the cost.

Pros

Cons

Used Quicken for 20 years for only Checkbook management - latest versions REQUIRES an annual payment for services not used. Per Quicken Support - while the software is usable without renewing, you cannot remove the full side banner (top to bottom screen) and banner on the top that insists you renew, renew, renew. This is so irritating I switched software. If you are looking for a simple tool to just manage your checkbook QUICKEN is NOT it.

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

The renewal banners are obtrusive and really irritating.

Jonny from Bryte Labs

Fab on PC, run the PC version on the Mac, dumbed down online

The PC version of quicken is fully featured, and our accountant, tax professional, and finance person all like it, can use it, understand it, and can handle files / exports made with it. For a while we switched to Mac and the only people who did not switch were the finance people because of PC Quicken. With some 3rd party help we had the PC version running on the Mac. Every couple of years the support for connecting to banks and maybe file formats change, and we seem to have to update the PC version. We tried the on-line version, execs in the company asked for on-line access to view the reports etc. The capabilities of the on-line system were very reduced, not sufficient for our finance team.

Pros

Fully features on the PC. with excellent sync with bank accounts and other financial systems, payroll etc. The online system is well priced.

Cons

The Mac version is not fully featured. The online version is very simplified. Every couple of years for the PC version they drop support for communications to bank accounts (and file format?) so you need to buy the latest one again.

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

Our finance person/s was used to it, and accountant could accept the files.

Bill from Resolve Labour Relations Solutions

There is no better Financial Manager

I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and have a file with that much information. Because Quicken offers various ways to categorize data, I'm able to get very accurate information on my spending. The ability to interact with online banking is very good. While it has some modernizing to do, Quicken is hands down the best financial manager out there.

Pros

The company really cares about users. It is as detailed as you want to be. Can manage data in various ways for you to know exactly how you're spending your money. You can store PDF bills and documents in your accounts.

Cons

Doesn't work well with touch. It's coming along but not there yet. There are a couple undocumented "features" which can really screw up your data.

Claudia from U.S. Coast Guard

Great for tracking your financial status, but needs improvement

Pros

I've been using Quicken since 1988, so I'm very familiar with it. You can easily track checking, credit card and savings accounts. Quicken partners with thousands of banks and financial institutions so you can download your activity rather than having to manually enter it. It makes balancing your checkbook a breeze! It is rare for it to not reconcile correctly, and when that happens, it is invariably a mistake I made. You can also use it to track investments, create budgets, run reports. I use the Home and Business version which lets me track business activity separately from personal activity. I keep track of my rental property, which makes it very easy to file a schedule C come tax time. It's been an invaluable tool for me over the years and has helped me meet my financial goals.

Cons

In the last several years, the quality of the software was an issue. Lots of annoying bugs and crashes. Fortunately the company is addressing these issues.

Jena from Euro Prof llc

Overall good, but has room for improvements

Check if the software works with your financial institutions prior to purchase.

Pros

It's a very lean and simple tool to use for most business structures capable of handling transactions of all types and frequency.

Cons

When I purchased this software a year ago, I was excited to use it because of its promise that the software works with most financial institutions. The hint here is "most". Unfortunately, the software doesn't support Capital one products and I am unable to load my transactions, I have to key them in manually. I am surprised that it doesn't support Capital One as it's a global financial institution. The biggest challenge that this software isn't based on subscription, and incurs frequent updates, some of them caused glitches and I had to spend hours on the phone with a service team.

Nancy from Friends of Iowa City New Horizons Band, Inc.

Industry: Philanthropy

Using Quicken for different scenarios

I use Quicken for two very different entities: 1) a small nonprofit support organization and 2) our former small business and our personal accounting needs. It works well for both these.

Pros

The ease in entering data, and the ability to produce reports that are useful. It is not necessary to use ALL the features offered by Quicken software. One can pick and choose what is useful for their needs.

Cons

I have not found flaws in this software. I have not yet found an easy way to convert reports into pdf format in order to provide to others who cannot access Quicken reports. I am certain there is a way to do this, I just have not taken the time to work through the process.

Ed from Gateway Tax Advisors, LLC

Best product to track finances, investments and business income/expenses, but..

Pros

Quicken Rental Property Manager is, in my opinion, the best product to track finances, investments and business income/expenses all in one spot and on your desktop versus having that information only on the internet.

Cons

Not the best solution or the easiest to use solution for tracking rental properties. Additionally, the new releases of the product often contain very little in improvements over the prior year. However, what I like least is that the software is often released when it still appears to be in beta testing. A lot of software bugs and often unusable until the software patches are released over a period of months.

Marty from Woodbridge Suite

Top Notch Software going downhill

I believe Quicken is making a mistake going subscription based only. I think they should offer a choice between product ownership or subscription based. After all these years with Quicken, I may be parting relationship because of this and I am not the only user who has the same sentiment. Short of going subscription based, Quicken would be a 5 star in my opinion.

Pros

I have used Quicken software of various versions for over 20 years. Overall a great piece of accounting software. Provides flexibility reporting.

Cons

Does not provide option to use account numbers (I have to incorporate account numbers within the account description) Current versions are not going to subscription based.

Sarah from CFC

Limited functionality but Ease of Use

I found that the financial planning tools are quite helpful and it is also helpful that the Quicken software can provide "Reminders" for certain transactions. Obviously you would have to remember to set these Reminders up in the Software itself initially, but once set-up this is very helpful going forward.

Pros

The product is capable of showing a very basic overview of a client's activity. I thought this would work well for clients that do not have a ton of different account transactions to post throughout a period and also for clients that do not use a bunch of different accounts (This gets to be messy when there are too many accounts) I also think the software is beneficial to help with budgeting a being able to get a daily look at a client's activity.

Cons

I did not like the fact that you can not post Journal Entries to move amounts between different accounts. When adjusting a client's Books this is very necessary to be able to record JEs to move around different amounts within the Balance Sheet and Income Statement. Another Con was that the software is difficult to upload and/or transfer into QuickBooks if you are trying to convert between the two.

Harlan from Northern Ohio Retinal Consultants

Quicken works for a smaller office or business

Overall I like Quicken... it has done its job albeit more expensively than before

Pros

Quicken allows me to keep track of income and expenditures with a small learning curve

Cons

I have used Quicken for many years and what I dislike the most is that I can no longer purchase the software outright, without Intuit having their claws into my wallet. You have to purchase the seat for the software every couple of years, where before you didnt. You only had to upgrade, if the software had new features that you wanted

Because Quicken became the standard

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

The other company wnet out of business

Brian from BCS Villas

Much better than balancing checkbooks

One of my essential apps

Pros

I love this software pulling in transactions from my banking and credit accounts online. Each time a transaction is entered into the register I categorize it and add notes. It makes it so easy to go back and search for specific transactions and run reports. I can;t tell you how much time and hassle this software saves me. Besides that, I never have to manually balance a checkbook again!

Cons

I hate the upgrade offer popups that seem to appear about once a week. Oh, also the mobile version of the app doesn't work well for me.

Sunsetting of MM

Jeff from Community Bank and Trust of Florida

Great product if you need a simple to use, yet powerful features product.

We own a variety of rental properties and having the ability to manage different types of property like monthly rentals which has standard monthly rent, as well as manage vacation rentals which payments and rental dates fluctuate. QRPM handles all the scenarios with ease and great reporting.

Pros

Have used Quicken products for over 30 years and for the cost you cannot beat the features and ease of use. Have used Rental Manager for past 5 years to manage 7+ rental properties and ability to track and manage payments and track expenses into a ledger with the greatest of ease is priceless for someone that doesn't need a full blown accounting system with GL#, etc.

Cons

Rare that you ever need to call support, but if you do, calling Intuit support has always been a frustrating experience. Just reaching someone knowledgeable to help was always challenging, but i have heard it's improved over past few years as have not had to use support but 2-3 times in life of product.

Rowanne from BlueStone Advisors

Screenshot of all your finances on one page.

Great for getting your finances in order and starting to see big picture where you and your money is. Still has some work to do with compatibility with banks as well as features.

Pros

What I like most about this product is the screenshot you get of all your accounts. Being able to see every account in one place really allows you to better control your finances and budget. I am in the application frequently updating downloads and seeing how my money and accounts move. I also really enjoy the breakdown of categories because I can go back and see just how much I spent on Rent, Groceries, Shopping, etc. per month, per year, etc. It's really nice.

Cons

What I have become quite frustrated with is the logging in and my intuit ID. Anytime the systems logs me out, for some reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my normal page, it creates a new page and new file for me. It's very nerve racking and it has been occurring more frequently. Also, I do feel the budget section of the application could use some work. I really liked it in the beginning, but now it is slightly a pain to use and have not used it since.

Mariana from electric power industry

Industry: Industrial Automation

All about your finances and assets

Quicken is a very nice domestic software to control your personnel finances. The app version was recently updated and it is easier to navigate now.

Pros

You can access your database through several devices. You can create different types of accounts, such as checkings, savings, assets. You can create different budgets. Added your invoices and receivings, you will have a cash flow. You can create categories to classify your expenses and earnings.

Cons

You can not do a transfer using your the app on your cell phone. To categorize a transaction split in two or more categories is a little trick.

John from John & Son's Meineke, Inc.

Online check book with lots of buproduct benifits

For the price of this product the features and functions are excellent for small business and personal use.

Pros

The product is easy to use and has excellent help functions. Check writing and reconciliation is simple and effective. The ability to run reports and summarize by payee, category etc and sort the data is a great tool for you G/L posting. The product also help alert missing check numbers and duplicates.

Cons

Would be great if the product had a feature to print mailing labels from the payee file. It would also be nice to have an easy way to have multi address for the same payee.

David from Weichert

Have purchased many generations of Quicken

Excellent. I will be redundant, but if you have checking, savings, mutual funds and stock accounts, it performs great. I also count on the cash basis easy statements

Pros

When I first started with Quicken years and years ago I used it to print my checks and that was replaced with e-banking. Always for maintaining account information, investments and even reconciling statements. Super easy to back up to a thumb drive or DVD

Cons

If you get screwed up with an investment account's info it is a pain to get it back on track and correct

complete and performance

Delmar from Okno Manufacturing

Good but not great

Pros

Fairly simple to use and has lots of features. I really like that I can make invoices as well. The reporting is well featured and intuitive.

Cons

The thing I don't like is that I've been with their tech support a few times. They are terrifically slow. For example, I'll chat with them online and literally spend 3 hours at a time and get no where. Eventually I have to go because I have other things to do. Then a few weeks later another 3 hours. In the end they blame it on a corrupted file. They refused to help me with that.

Julie from CommuniSkills

Great integration with my various accounts and bookkeeping software

I love this. As a small business owner that has only 6 employees, but jobs from cost to cost, it's great to have such a versatile financial package that can be edited across clients and consultants.

Pros

This integrates with just about everything. Whether it's importing from office or connecting to online XML streams, Quicken is able to pull data intuitively and accurately.

Cons

It can be overly complicated. I think the same channels that provide wise ranging data integration also can create a confusing network of options, especially when there are multiple users in one file.

Kozhi from Kozhi Makai Worldwide

Quicken Review

Best product out there. Tried others, including the now defunct Microsoft Money, and this is, by far, the best product for the money. Also, now that they are separate from Intuit, there are some great things on the horizon that will take them to another level.

Pros

Easy to use. Uncomplicated when it comes to inputting data. I like that you can use the mobile app and it syncs with the computer system on the desktop version.

Cons

It would be good to have it work without having to use a desktop version. We are so mobile these days and having to sync with the desktop is a headache.

Chris from Human Resources

great for tracking costs and doing taxes

I've used it for many years and have no problems with it. I started with a free version for many years and eventually paid for a basic version and it's still just fine for me.

Pros

I use it for personal use and used it for my coffee shop. it was easy to create and track different categories like inventory costs, payroll, etc. Come tax time this was very important

Cons

exporting reports isn't as details as they could be but it still served my purposes especially since I have the basic (cheapest) version

Dennis from mikes pizza

Industry: Restaurants

Quicken is very comprehensive but difficult to navigate at times

Overall it is a very comprehensive expense and income record keeping checkbook register but it is also very expensive as they have gone to a subscription based platform. Not happy about that.

Pros

One of the better features of this software is the ability to create and assign categories to each accounting entry, which makes life easier at the end of the tax year.

Cons

It is somewhat difficult to create categories as it seems to be a multi step process as you can easily mis identify as an expense or income

Steve from Self-employed

Industry: Industrial Automation

Quicken for Home and Business

Pros

Ability to maintain household records and part-time consulting business records in the same program. Ability to issue invoices and maintain accounts receivable. Maintain customer and vendor database. Maintain records of business related vehicle expense. Integrates easily with Turbotax.

Cons

The chart of accounts is difficult to maintain. It does not follow usual accounting conventions.It is difficult to save recurring reports. Printing reports is often confusing.

Anne from California CASA

An excellent software to manage your finances!

Overall, my experience is excellent. It helps with tax preparation but most important for keeping a handle on personal finances. An elegant software!

Pros

I have used Quicken for almost two decades, to keep our family's personal finances on track. It is excellent, dependable, easy to use even if you are not a tech-genius.

Cons

There are some challenges in linking to a personal bank account, probably to do with security; but it does make some downloads a little challenging.

Jeanine from Turner Homes, LLC

Classic Money Management Software

I like to stick with a version I am familiar and comfortable with. So last time they tried to force me to upgrade, I went to using my spreadsheet and I don't even bother balancing my checkbook anymore - everything downloads instantaneously now, and I write about 2 checks a month, so I just keep track of it in my spreadsheet. That being said, if I could get a version and stick with it, I would go back to Quicken so that I could have the charts and reports.

Pros

I have used this software since I began using computers to manage my money. I like how easy it is to customize my views, and to export information to excel if I want to manipulate it for my own purposes. It is also straightforward, easy to learn, and has many levels of support if you can't figure something out for yourself.

Cons

So many upgrades, and they make it mandatory. It is a good value for the money, but I don't think you should have to upgrade every 2 years.