• Pros

• "Upgraded with no issues. Improved features. Great product. I would buy this product again. A must have for any landlord/property manager. "

• "Fairly simple to use and has lots of features. I really like that I can make invoices as well. The reporting is well featured and intuitive. "

• "I love the convenience of using Quicken. I've used it both personally and professionally in the past and it is easy to download, implement, and update as needed."

• Cons

• "The product could use more mobile friendly features. The product is missing ability to attach pictures, have tenants direct deposit, etc. Great value though!"

• "While Quicken is great, I wish it had a feature that would allow me to be able to log on to a web-based version so I could make simultaneous updates with my assistant manager. "

• "With each update you have to learn your way around again but that is a small price to pay for remaining up to date."

Browse Quicken Reviews

Patrick from Connect Locals LLC

Best Desktop Accounting Software

That software allows you to back up in the cloud and your computer. It has all the special effects at Quickbooks.

Pros

Ease of use and it allows you to add multiple businesses or personal accounts. The price is what it should be for accounting software. Excellent Support, I used the support two times and was very impressed with the customer service.

Cons

No way that I know of to recover the password vault.

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

It's the old Quicken but better.

Nina from Remax Town Center

Quicken Rental Property Manager works some of the time

I've been using this program for over 10 years and while it it not perfect it is better than nothing. I would like the rental part to be easier and more reliable to use. I like that you can integrate Zillow estimates and values to properties.

Pros

I liked that it integrates all my accounts and I can track rentals, home and business at the same time. Reports are fairly accurate and are very useful for accounting and tracking purposes.

Cons

Has bugs that I cannot figure out. Sometimes the transfers don't ever show up and the accounts get messed up. Hard to track rents in the format that is available. I can't figure out how to enter and keep all reconciled the way they want you to do it.

Georgina from Cosmetology Education Group

Quicken for Business

They have been good about customer service over the phone.

Pros

I like the ease of the software and printing profit and loss statements at the touch of my fingers.

Cons

Monthly fee for cloud based. Would like to be able to use the software for less money. It used to be $10 per month and now it is $25.

Darcy from Darcy Carozza Business Services

Quicken Customer Service and product ease of functionality drop since Intuit Split

After about two decades of relying on this software for myself and some clients, I am now reluctantly looking for a replacement program.

Pros

It's super easy to utilize if you have basic bookkeeping experience and you are not accounting for investments. Menu options are sensibly grouped. Back up and restore super easy if you want to move copies of file(s) to different computers.

Cons

Although this software has been very predictable and adequate for a long time, it has become less desirable since split from Intuit. Good luck getting thru to customer service, there have been so many complications to their change over that they are drowning in calls. Their operators are overwhelmed and seem to 'accidentally' hang up on a call all too frequently, after exhaustive hold times. I have been prompted repeatedly to change my passwords during the transition, and rather annoyingly, each time it is updated a different verification email is sent with a code that must be entered, that quickly expires. Don't get distracted, or you have to start all over! Just really inefficient, non-intuitive programming.

Timothy from American Heart Association

Quicken - A lifesaver

Wish it were a bit cheaper overall but very much worth the investment nonetheless.

Pros

I tend to accumulate financial accounts and Quicken is a lifesaver for helping me keep everything organized - not missing payments, tracking spending and income trends, etc. The latest updates do a better job of downloading data consistently from my accounts.

Cons

I wish they had not gone to a subscription model - the yearly renewal process is more cumbersome and expensive.

Subscrption Only - Goodbuy Quicken

Basic checkbook maintenance is good. All the "whistles and bells" added are not worth the cost.

Pros

Cons

Used Quicken for 20 years for only Checkbook management - latest versions REQUIRES an annual payment for services not used. Per Quicken Support - while the software is usable without renewing, you cannot remove the full side banner (top to bottom screen) and banner on the top that insists you renew, renew, renew. This is so irritating I switched software. If you are looking for a simple tool to just manage your checkbook QUICKEN is NOT it.

tuan from Hirel Connectors

Good for small size business

Pros

The price is reasonable compares to Quickbooks, and it is easy to use. If you do not need multi users function, Quicken is a good option for bookkeeping job.

Cons

The software sometimes crashes for no reason especially working with big files. In addition, my version (2017) does not have multi users function, which is a limitation of the Quicken. Make sure you do back up file every single time because when the Quicken files getting bigger, it's easier to crash.

Luc M from D&A Group Services

Longtime user of Quicken

Poweful accounting software with a very strong reputation.

Pros

Quicken has been around for a very long time and stands as a reputable data/budgeting software. it has great ability to output onto various formats which I like

Cons

Not easy to use, and can be somewhat proprietary. I find the user interface not as seamless as I would like however since I've been using it for so long, I've gotten accustomed to its user design

Keep it simple or be better

I am not a fan of the new set up of the software. I am not looking to track my personal expenses with my apartment building expenses. I just want Quicken for property management with no added bells and whistles.

Pros

When I started using this software about 15 years ago it was like a glorified spreadsheet and it was amazing! Then they wanted to start adding bells and whistles and it did not work as well.

Cons

I stopped using it for a few years bouncing around to look for something better for the price and now I am back and have yet to find a good alternative.

Patrick from DME Company

Quicken

It has helped us very much in the long run over the years to be able to keep an eye on our money.

Pros

It is a great program to use to track everything we do and compare to the bank statements. Nice to be able to find items and categorize as well.

Cons

There aren't a lot of things I don't like, I am not an expert in it, but most the things I have done have been pretty easy.

James from Technology intelligence Agency

Lack of availability for Mac

I cannot say more than I already have. I’ve had to save information on my Mac and then pick it up on my PC just to send an invoice. This is inconvenient. It takes time that could be better off spend doing other things. Please, Quicken, bring Home and Business to Mac. Also, allow the ability to edit previous entries. I’ve noticed issues in the past that could have been easily fixed with an edit button, but you cannot. This should be fixed. As the leader in accounting software, it should have more features available than it does.

Pros

Quicken seems to be the go-to accounting software in the industry, so naturally we went with it. We were very happy with Quicken, as it is easy to teach to our new employees. I also really like the seamlessness of the program between a Mac and a PC. My laptop is a Mac while my home computer is a PC, and I find that the program itself is very similar on both platforms, and thus very easy to use. However, we initially intended to purchase Quicken for Home and Business, but it is not available for Mac, so we had to take a step back and purchase Quicken Premier. This was more than slightly annoying, but we managed to make it work.

Cons

The lack of availability of Home and Business for Mac is a big con for me. The Home and Business program allows for custom invoices, which would look really good for our small business. We also wanted the ability to track our profit and loss, so we purchased it for my home computer. We can still send out the custom invoices on our PCs, but it would be a lot easier if it were available for Mac. Hopefully, there will be an option to purchase Home and Business in the future for Mac.

Roger from The DYNACO Group

USe it daily and have since the early 1990,s

Pros

Puts all your finances in one place, updates all accounts with minimal keystrokes rather than having to go to each website yourself (Saving lots of time) works like an on-screen checkbook. See your net worth accounts and liabilities in one place. Navigation is easy as a click of the mouse.

Cons

Intuit, the author, recently sold Quicken to an Investment Group. When Microsoft dropped MS Money, Quicken became the Monopoly in the market. Now the new company made some changes and icons are different, some screens have pop-up windows that don't work right, and the internet is full of complaints from long time users. Most of the glitches I found are minor, but changes were made so that everyone had to renew in-order to be able to access all your accounts online with Quicken, a strategy they may use to continually force upgrades and fees! Watch for this. This is what happens when someone sees a chance to capitalize on a monopoly!

David from The Wish Project

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

A Product Whose Time Has Passed

Pros

Quicken for more than a decade has been "the" standard for personal financial management and I used it for many years to track my families spending habits, transactions, retirement and more. It's "the" gold standard for anyone looking to track their financial health.

Cons

Multiple online products, including Mint which is also owned by Intuit that makes Quicken, covers 90% of the features/functions that you would normally run on your computer. For those that don't want to trust their information to such web/cloud services then Quicken still remains a viable option. However, in recent years Quicken has begun to scale back on services like Bill Pay as banks and other online services take over. I don't think Quicken is going away any time soon, but it's very clear that it's time has passed and it's only a matter of time until Intuit makes the decision to retire the software.

Ruben from CableComm

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Another all-time favorite agonizes in the mobile era

Quicken needs to move faster to mobile and cloud if it really wants to survive. 100% integration with QuickBooks, additional security features, support for more cloud backup providers are features that should be already available but are no show. Intuit own's Mint App is an example of how Quicken should be but, for some reason, they have decided to continue working on the same outdated software instead of relaunching. Still, Quicken is a big respected brand in the financial software world that continues to be one of my favorites.

Pros

- A longtime runner with a big user fan base - The very familiar interface allows old users to upgrade without a steep learning curve - Very similar Mac and Windows version allows painless platform switch - Supports most banks and account syncing in The US - Does not require a monthly or annual fee

Cons

- The interface is beginning to look a bit outdated compared to new mobile apps available for iOS and Android - No equivalent mobile version available - Cloud syncing and backup is limited and not easy to setup (dropbox required) - Version to version upgrades sometimes include little to no enough new features for the price (That's why some users are still using 5-8 years old versions)

Joseph from ComCon Enterprises, Inc.

Good bang for the buck for basic accounting

Smaller businesses with less than 30 rentals, should be able to use this software and compensate for te deficiencies with desktop software like excel. This would be a very cost effective way of having computerized check register and reporting while minimizing software costs.

Pros

Integration with almost every bank to download transactions automatically makes me confident that we will not miss any transaction and keeps me updated on our balances on a daily basis. Categories and Tags are very powerful and flexible tools that allow you to custom configure how you use the software and define your reporting requirements.

Cons

Other than a good transaction register (with categories & Tags) , the program lacks many needed features for managing a rental business. The rental aspect is almost non-existaent.

Jason from Austin Pool and Spa

Mostly good/ some annoyances

Pros

Links your bank account. Does recurring invoices Can file your taxes Payroll Can set up automatic payment for customers.

Cons

Can link two recurring invoices for a customer. Ex. The regular monthly invoice then when the semi annual invoice needs to be billed it doesn’t link so I have to print two invoices. Also, when I print all the invoices it doesn’t print each person’s invoice right after the other. So I end up searching for that second invoice. It’s a mess. It sounds so confusing to read what I wrote. But basically sometimes I end up sending two separate envelopes on the same month for one customer because when it needs to be printed it doesn’t organize then invoices per customer.

Michael from MC Tax Consulting

Quicken

Still one of the easier desktop bookkeeping software to use. Too bad no one else can create a competitive desktop bookkeeping software for the general public. Many competitors created only an online version which can be Useless if something happens to your PC or you don't have power or an internet connection! Worse, there's a monthly fee for their online versions!

Pros

Relatively simple to use as the basic program is basically an electronic version of a check register. Many financial institutions have a Quicken export function for its online banking feature making bank reconciliation a bit easier.

Cons

Don't need to use other features like investment tracker which is essentially useless for most other people Intuit FORCES people to set up an ONLINE account to link the program to, mainly for tracking and marketing purposes which is complete BS! Update function has moved over the years that it's not as simple to just click 'update' anymore JUST to update Quicken and NOTHING else! Be careful about importing information as it may not import 100% of the banking information, similar to QB. Intuit keeps marketing you to join its other financial services!

Bill from Resolve Labour Relations Solutions

There is no better Financial Manager

I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and have a file with that much information. Because Quicken offers various ways to categorize data, I'm able to get very accurate information on my spending. The ability to interact with online banking is very good. While it has some modernizing to do, Quicken is hands down the best financial manager out there.

Pros

The company really cares about users. It is as detailed as you want to be. Can manage data in various ways for you to know exactly how you're spending your money. You can store PDF bills and documents in your accounts.

Cons

Doesn't work well with touch. It's coming along but not there yet. There are a couple undocumented "features" which can really screw up your data.

Mike from Alpha Insurance

Is there anything out there other than Quicken?????

If I could give less than 1 star I would! I have been a huge supporter of Quicken in the past. I encouraged my kids and clients and anyone that would listen to use Quicken. Sorry! I have now gone to using my online banking bill pay through my bank which is free!

Pros

This used to be a great product! I have used it since 1993 to track my business finances and investments. It really helps at tax time.

Cons

Support is worse than non-existent. It is March 8th and I have been trying to get support since the first week in January. I was on the phone with a rep for 2 hours trying to get bill pay to work. I was told to hang on I need to ask my manager about that and then hung up on. I tried chatting and was told that you cannot use chat for online bill pay. Called the support number and was told that there is a special number for online bill pay. I called that number and was told by the rep that I needed to go to quickenbillpay.com but he would stay on the line and would call me back if I got disconnected. That was a week ago. Still havent gotten at call. Went through the insutructions on the quickenbillpay.com website to set up a new account and it indicated it would take 2 -3 days to set up an account and I would receive 2 transactions on my bank statement from them. Check my statement and then come back and enter those figures to confirm I own the account. That was 6 days ago and still no transactions. Yesterday I received an email that I must send in 1. My drivers License. 2. My Social Security Card. 3. my most recent utility bill from water, gas, or electric company only. 4. A voided check from each account I want to use. Sounds like an internet scam to me. I called quicken and explained I wasn't comfortable sending all of this over the internet and by the way I have been paying for your services for 25 years and now you want all of this info. Their response is quicken was sold and that they are a new company and they have to have the info or no bill pay services! No wonder they bill pay services are now included in the Premier package. No one can use it! The bad part is I have all of my payments for cars, houses, utilities, credit cards set up for auto pay using quicken bill pay. Now I have to find another way to get them paid because it has taken 2 months and I still am not set up for bill pay. By the way they don't tell you this is what happens when you download Quicken 2018. Beware!

Tamara from WRMC

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Its all about the profits now......

Although I am sounding as though I am resistant to forwarding technology, I am not. There are just certain things that I feel should be more protected and so far, technology has failed to prevent hackers and identity thieves from accessing peoples information due to companies insistence in having our information all over the internet and web. There was nothing wrong with the old QUICKEN but greed is no playing a part in the new QUICKEN that separated from INTUIT.

Pros

I loved it when it was an actual software that could be purchased and had no yearly subscription fee. Prior to them separating from Intuit, this was my software of choice. Ease of use and the ability to choose to have your information inaccessible to internet hackers and not out there for anyone to see.

Cons

2007 saw the end of exceptional quality. Went from a software that you can purchase and utilize without having to pay a yearly subscription to a for profit only software with yearly subscription in 2017-2018 update. Now if you want to use this software you have to pay for it yearly. 2007 utilized an update that caused major issues with previous versions. The font became too large to fit in the windows that popped up, the reconciliation failed to work properly, did not give accurate numbers.(Quicken blamed this on the PC Operating system....Funny, no other software on my PC had these issues). They refused to fix the issues they created and then came out with a new update that once you applied the update, 2017-2018, you had to start paying yearly or live with the issues that were created by the previous update. I now have fuzzy font, like old school DOS systems, and a yearly subscription for more bells and whistles that I will ever utilize. Not everyone wants to use mobile access and expose themselves to more and more risk of hackers to steal information.

Jonny from Bryte Labs

Fab on PC, run the PC version on the Mac, dumbed down online

The PC version of quicken is fully featured, and our accountant, tax professional, and finance person all like it, can use it, understand it, and can handle files / exports made with it. For a while we switched to Mac and the only people who did not switch were the finance people because of PC Quicken. With some 3rd party help we had the PC version running on the Mac. Every couple of years the support for connecting to banks and maybe file formats change, and we seem to have to update the PC version. We tried the on-line version, execs in the company asked for on-line access to view the reports etc. The capabilities of the on-line system were very reduced, not sufficient for our finance team.

Pros

Fully features on the PC. with excellent sync with bank accounts and other financial systems, payroll etc. The online system is well priced.

Cons

The Mac version is not fully featured. The online version is very simplified. Every couple of years for the PC version they drop support for communications to bank accounts (and file format?) so you need to buy the latest one again.

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

Our finance person/s was used to it, and accountant could accept the files.

Claudia from U.S. Coast Guard

Great for tracking your financial status, but needs improvement

Pros

I've been using Quicken since 1988, so I'm very familiar with it. You can easily track checking, credit card and savings accounts. Quicken partners with thousands of banks and financial institutions so you can download your activity rather than having to manually enter it. It makes balancing your checkbook a breeze! It is rare for it to not reconcile correctly, and when that happens, it is invariably a mistake I made. You can also use it to track investments, create budgets, run reports. I use the Home and Business version which lets me track business activity separately from personal activity. I keep track of my rental property, which makes it very easy to file a schedule C come tax time. It's been an invaluable tool for me over the years and has helped me meet my financial goals.

Cons

In the last several years, the quality of the software was an issue. Lots of annoying bugs and crashes. Fortunately the company is addressing these issues.

Nancy from Friends of Iowa City New Horizons Band, Inc.

Industry: Philanthropy

Using Quicken for different scenarios

I use Quicken for two very different entities: 1) a small nonprofit support organization and 2) our former small business and our personal accounting needs. It works well for both these.

Pros

The ease in entering data, and the ability to produce reports that are useful. It is not necessary to use ALL the features offered by Quicken software. One can pick and choose what is useful for their needs.

Cons

I have not found flaws in this software. I have not yet found an easy way to convert reports into pdf format in order to provide to others who cannot access Quicken reports. I am certain there is a way to do this, I just have not taken the time to work through the process.

Jena from Euro Prof llc

Overall good, but has room for improvements

Check if the software works with your financial institutions prior to purchase.

Pros

It's a very lean and simple tool to use for most business structures capable of handling transactions of all types and frequency.

Cons

When I purchased this software a year ago, I was excited to use it because of its promise that the software works with most financial institutions. The hint here is "most". Unfortunately, the software doesn't support Capital one products and I am unable to load my transactions, I have to key them in manually. I am surprised that it doesn't support Capital One as it's a global financial institution. The biggest challenge that this software isn't based on subscription, and incurs frequent updates, some of them caused glitches and I had to spend hours on the phone with a service team.

Ed from Gateway Tax Advisors, LLC

Best product to track finances, investments and business income/expenses, but..

Pros

Quicken Rental Property Manager is, in my opinion, the best product to track finances, investments and business income/expenses all in one spot and on your desktop versus having that information only on the internet.

Cons

Not the best solution or the easiest to use solution for tracking rental properties. Additionally, the new releases of the product often contain very little in improvements over the prior year. However, what I like least is that the software is often released when it still appears to be in beta testing. A lot of software bugs and often unusable until the software patches are released over a period of months.

Marty from Woodbridge Suite

Top Notch Software going downhill

I believe Quicken is making a mistake going subscription based only. I think they should offer a choice between product ownership or subscription based. After all these years with Quicken, I may be parting relationship because of this and I am not the only user who has the same sentiment. Short of going subscription based, Quicken would be a 5 star in my opinion.

Pros

I have used Quicken software of various versions for over 20 years. Overall a great piece of accounting software. Provides flexibility reporting.

Cons

Does not provide option to use account numbers (I have to incorporate account numbers within the account description) Current versions are not going to subscription based.

Sarah from CFC

Limited functionality but Ease of Use

I found that the financial planning tools are quite helpful and it is also helpful that the Quicken software can provide "Reminders" for certain transactions. Obviously you would have to remember to set these Reminders up in the Software itself initially, but once set-up this is very helpful going forward.

Pros

The product is capable of showing a very basic overview of a client's activity. I thought this would work well for clients that do not have a ton of different account transactions to post throughout a period and also for clients that do not use a bunch of different accounts (This gets to be messy when there are too many accounts) I also think the software is beneficial to help with budgeting a being able to get a daily look at a client's activity.

Cons

I did not like the fact that you can not post Journal Entries to move amounts between different accounts. When adjusting a client's Books this is very necessary to be able to record JEs to move around different amounts within the Balance Sheet and Income Statement. Another Con was that the software is difficult to upload and/or transfer into QuickBooks if you are trying to convert between the two.

Rowanne from BlueStone Advisors

Screenshot of all your finances on one page.

Great for getting your finances in order and starting to see big picture where you and your money is. Still has some work to do with compatibility with banks as well as features.

Pros

What I like most about this product is the screenshot you get of all your accounts. Being able to see every account in one place really allows you to better control your finances and budget. I am in the application frequently updating downloads and seeing how my money and accounts move. I also really enjoy the breakdown of categories because I can go back and see just how much I spent on Rent, Groceries, Shopping, etc. per month, per year, etc. It's really nice.

Cons

What I have become quite frustrated with is the logging in and my intuit ID. Anytime the systems logs me out, for some reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my normal page, it creates a new page and new file for me. It's very nerve racking and it has been occurring more frequently. Also, I do feel the budget section of the application could use some work. I really liked it in the beginning, but now it is slightly a pain to use and have not used it since.

Mariana from electric power industry

Industry: Industrial Automation

All about your finances and assets

Quicken is a very nice domestic software to control your personnel finances. The app version was recently updated and it is easier to navigate now.

Pros

You can access your database through several devices. You can create different types of accounts, such as checkings, savings, assets. You can create different budgets. Added your invoices and receivings, you will have a cash flow. You can create categories to classify your expenses and earnings.

Cons

You can not do a transfer using your the app on your cell phone. To categorize a transaction split in two or more categories is a little trick.

Brian from BCS Villas

Much better than balancing checkbooks

One of my essential apps

Pros

I love this software pulling in transactions from my banking and credit accounts online. Each time a transaction is entered into the register I categorize it and add notes. It makes it so easy to go back and search for specific transactions and run reports. I can;t tell you how much time and hassle this software saves me. Besides that, I never have to manually balance a checkbook again!

Cons

I hate the upgrade offer popups that seem to appear about once a week. Oh, also the mobile version of the app doesn't work well for me.

John from John & Son's Meineke, Inc.

Online check book with lots of buproduct benifits

For the price of this product the features and functions are excellent for small business and personal use.

Pros

The product is easy to use and has excellent help functions. Check writing and reconciliation is simple and effective. The ability to run reports and summarize by payee, category etc and sort the data is a great tool for you G/L posting. The product also help alert missing check numbers and duplicates.

Cons

Would be great if the product had a feature to print mailing labels from the payee file. It would also be nice to have an easy way to have multi address for the same payee.

Jeff from Community Bank and Trust of Florida

Great product if you need a simple to use, yet powerful features product.

We own a variety of rental properties and having the ability to manage different types of property like monthly rentals which has standard monthly rent, as well as manage vacation rentals which payments and rental dates fluctuate. QRPM handles all the scenarios with ease and great reporting.

Pros

Have used Quicken products for over 30 years and for the cost you cannot beat the features and ease of use. Have used Rental Manager for past 5 years to manage 7+ rental properties and ability to track and manage payments and track expenses into a ledger with the greatest of ease is priceless for someone that doesn't need a full blown accounting system with GL#, etc.

Cons

Rare that you ever need to call support, but if you do, calling Intuit support has always been a frustrating experience. Just reaching someone knowledgeable to help was always challenging, but i have heard it's improved over past few years as have not had to use support but 2-3 times in life of product.

David from Weichert

Have purchased many generations of Quicken

Excellent. I will be redundant, but if you have checking, savings, mutual funds and stock accounts, it performs great. I also count on the cash basis easy statements

Pros

When I first started with Quicken years and years ago I used it to print my checks and that was replaced with e-banking. Always for maintaining account information, investments and even reconciling statements. Super easy to back up to a thumb drive or DVD

Cons

If you get screwed up with an investment account's info it is a pain to get it back on track and correct

complete and performance

Julie from CommuniSkills

Great integration with my various accounts and bookkeeping software

I love this. As a small business owner that has only 6 employees, but jobs from cost to cost, it's great to have such a versatile financial package that can be edited across clients and consultants.

Pros

This integrates with just about everything. Whether it's importing from office or connecting to online XML streams, Quicken is able to pull data intuitively and accurately.

Cons

It can be overly complicated. I think the same channels that provide wise ranging data integration also can create a confusing network of options, especially when there are multiple users in one file.

Delmar from Okno Manufacturing

Good but not great

Pros

Cons

The thing I don't like is that I've been with their tech support a few times. They are terrifically slow. For example, I'll chat with them online and literally spend 3 hours at a time and get no where. Eventually I have to go because I have other things to do. Then a few weeks later another 3 hours. In the end they blame it on a corrupted file. They refused to help me with that.

Kozhi from Kozhi Makai Worldwide

Quicken Review

Best product out there. Tried others, including the now defunct Microsoft Money, and this is, by far, the best product for the money. Also, now that they are separate from Intuit, there are some great things on the horizon that will take them to another level.

Pros

Easy to use. Uncomplicated when it comes to inputting data. I like that you can use the mobile app and it syncs with the computer system on the desktop version.

Cons

It would be good to have it work without having to use a desktop version. We are so mobile these days and having to sync with the desktop is a headache.

Steve from Self-employed

Industry: Industrial Automation

Quicken for Home and Business

Pros

Ability to maintain household records and part-time consulting business records in the same program. Ability to issue invoices and maintain accounts receivable. Maintain customer and vendor database. Maintain records of business related vehicle expense. Integrates easily with Turbotax.

Cons

The chart of accounts is difficult to maintain. It does not follow usual accounting conventions.It is difficult to save recurring reports. Printing reports is often confusing.

Jeanine from Turner Homes, LLC

Classic Money Management Software

I like to stick with a version I am familiar and comfortable with. So last time they tried to force me to upgrade, I went to using my spreadsheet and I don't even bother balancing my checkbook anymore - everything downloads instantaneously now, and I write about 2 checks a month, so I just keep track of it in my spreadsheet. That being said, if I could get a version and stick with it, I would go back to Quicken so that I could have the charts and reports.

Pros

I have used this software since I began using computers to manage my money. I like how easy it is to customize my views, and to export information to excel if I want to manipulate it for my own purposes. It is also straightforward, easy to learn, and has many levels of support if you can't figure something out for yourself.

Cons

So many upgrades, and they make it mandatory. It is a good value for the money, but I don't think you should have to upgrade every 2 years.

Kristy from Butt LLC

Fundamental but lacking

I was so excited to use this software. It completely ties to our financial reporting in Quicken and therefore is very appealing to use. The issue is in the actual function of the rental piece. It does not allow easy adjustment to tenant accounts for issues. Would be good for a FEW rentals. It does not allow tracking of notes regarding tenants or tracking of service needed. I also had hoped it had a function that could allow customers to make payments thru it.

Pros

Ties to financial. Allows entry of all tenant information for contact and lease terms.

Cons

Would be better if the tenant was also then listed as a payee so you would not get two different entries for one tenant when you do an entry in the checkbook vs running it thru the rental program which only allows for entry of rents. You cannot enter a payment for garbage for example. Any entry causes the rent due date to advance so you will be entering rent on 11/5/2016 for example and the default will come up 2/2017 for example.

John from Self

Quicken Four Year User

I feel most comfortable keeping my financial data "off line" on my laptop only, and do not use any of the 'cloud' services that Quicken offers.

Pros

Tracks and plans for cash outflows. Bill paying is easy and intuitive. Checking Account reconciliation work well.

Cons

Downloads from Financial Services Accounts reconciliation is it not intuitive. Downloads from bank (Savings/Checking) are problematic dependent on whether the download is initiated by the Bank On LIne System or Quicken.

Randy from Randy Lovejoy, A California Corporation

Great product unless you need customer service.

Pros

The product is easy to use, accurate, and blends with banking protocols and apps. I like the fact that it helps you plan and budget your money and see exactly where you’re spending is going.

Cons

You must be very careful to categorize your spending accurately so that the app can help you budget your spending. If you need customer service, the number of times I have called them fortunately has been few because they are little or no help

Cathy from Sirius Medical Billing,LLC

Quicken lets me track my rental income and expenses accurately

I can track my rental expenses and income to deliver to my CPA for taxes. I can download my bank activity directly to the software, saving me time and money

Pros

I can create my own chart of accounts, the reports allow me to easily see how I spend money and which rental it is spent on.

Cons

I would like to be able to talk to customer service more readily or find someone in my area to help with the complicated details. Everyone seems to use Quickbooks and doesn't train on Quicken

Steve from Self-employed

Long Time User of Quicken for Home and Business

Pros

Easy for a non-accountant to keep precise records Tracks stock and mutual fund transactions and easily exports information to Turbotax Easy to download credit card transactions Quicken for Home and Business lets the consultant prepare client invoices

Cons

Sometimes it will not download stock prices accurately Annual updates often provide no additional useful features Cannot alter format of invoices in Quicken for Home and Business

Dandy from Donald L. Klepec, CPA

Quicken Deluxe to keep track of your income, Investments, Expenses, Debts and Loans

Overall value of the software is very good, provided you keep your computer equipment up to date. Quickens new feature allows tracking by cell phone, which is a great feature when you are travelling and cannot sit at your home computer

Pros

Accurate tracking of activities in your bank account and credit cards, Investment status and loan balances

Cons

Phone support was phased out and for an old timer who cannot type fast, asking questions is time consuming and requires a lot of patience

Mark from Mark D. Gershenson, Attorney at Law

Quicken: More powerful than most of us need

I haven't used a paper check register in many, many years. I manage my finances on Quicken. While I don't use Quicken's investment-tracking features, I've played with them in the past and they work well.

Pros

It makes it easy to track my finances (both business and personal) and to upload and download transactions to and from my bank

Cons

It's a little slow to load. In the 2018 version, which I recently installed, the dropdown menus don't stay dropped down long enough when I use my mouse to navigate; I have to use my arrow keys. I don't like the fact that Quicken now forces you to upgrade the software every year or to if you want the ability to continue communicating with your bank using the program. I don't need the minor improvements that the publisher touts, and resent having to keep loading given that I'm not seeing any improvements in the features that I used.

Joseph from Alfa International Corp.

I have been using Quicken for several years now and love the program for tracking my spending.

Pros

As mentioned, I track spending as well as my earnings and family members earnings. It is a tremendous asset when tax time comes around for finding the items you may have forgotten about earlier in the year but are tax items.

Cons

The investment section of this program is a little confusing and cumbersome. It does allow for lots to tracking gain / loss easier. But setting up and making adjustments is a bit cumbersome.

Jen from FreeProp, LLC

Great for general accounting...

We have 65+ rental properties. I had waited to enter them into the rental property part until I worked out the kinks of the accounting part. I had issues with bank connectivity and then mobile sync was not working properly. After I got that fixed, I decided that in January I would start entering in my tenant's info. Here are my problems: 1. Most of our houses are section 8 which means 2 checks and NO, you can not just have 1 housing payment that you split into your houses and have those apply to your tenants. you HAVE TO MAKE A SEPARATE TENANT for EACH house labeled section 8 (or what ever) and house number or something to uniquely identify it. PAINFUL!!!!!!! 2. Lets say you have an invoice from Vendor A and they have invoiced you for 3 properties. You have to put the invoice on the tenant side (each invoice to each house) then when you go to pay Vendor A- it prints multiple checks. Not just one check or an option to pay several invoices for vendor A. THAT IS CRAZY!!! (For me it was going to print 10 checks to the same vendor. I then went to the banking side and made a check, tagging each property which then printed one check but the system did not enter the charges into the tenants side. So you need to do double entry. WHO HAS TIME FOR THAT? I called customer service-super nice but spent SEVERAL hours trying to get it figured out. They ended up saying how terrible it was. 3. There are no useful reports. Bottom Line: I ended up going with a property management software. I interviewed Builidium, Appfolio, and a few others. Expensive but hopefully it will help me out in the long run. Anything is better than this.

Pros

easy to change the payee/category/tag

Cons

see above

Susan from Susan A. Stearns, Attorney at Law

Use for Personal and Busines

Wonderful program for personal and small business bookkeeping

Pros

It is very easy to use and reports are easy to pull from the software. It is a very powerful software for the price. You can use an app like Dropbox or OneDrive to keep your data available from anywhere.

Cons

Support/help was unable to assist with creating a report that was complex - probably needed to use Quick Books instead of Quicken for this type of report

Dennis from Innovative Green Builders, Inc.

Great software for the businessman that owns a few houses for rent.

Pros

It is very easy to use and keeps track of each individual home...the income and the expenses. It also allows tracking expenses by category, and you can set these up for custom tracking.

Cons

It doesn't handle deposits very well. And I have never figured out how to change the dates that the rent covers. For example, if someone moves in during the middle of a month, it doesn't handle that well.

Michele from Coldwell Banker

Use for payroll

We have a small buiness and we use this for payroll and bookkeeping. I do not have any accounting background so it is a huge help to me.

Pros

Easy to use for small business, to keep track of expenses, print check, print reports, have been using for close to 10 years.

Cons

Tech support is sometimes difficult to understand. Updates sometime create issues. I usually do not install update until months after released.