All Toggl Track Reviews

Reviewed April 2021

Simple and easy to use

Ema

Reviewed August 2021

An incredibly useful tool for freelancers

I love Toggl Track!! As a freelancer, it's indispensable for keeping track of my hours by project or client so I can create invoices (outside of Toggl Track). It makes it easy to collect the data to calculate the time I need for certain types of work, and helps me keep track of my training hours, which I need for my professional organization. All in all, I can't live without it and recommend it highly.

PROS

Its simplicity. Everything is quite intuitive--you can create multiple projects for each client, add descriptions, and add tags, and it's simple to run reports by those parameters. Generating the reports is straightforward and incredibly useful, and the data can be exported as CSV files (also as PDFs). It's handy having a desktop app (there's also a mobile app, which I don't use as much) with the option of running the timer directly in a browser--handy when I'm working away from my usual desktop.

CONS

Occasionally, I switch from one computer with the Toggl Track desktop app to another computer and have some syncing issues. The timer I thought was still running would have stopped or not stopped and I end up with some odd blocks of time. I haven't yet been able to figure out the exact issue so as to prevent this from happening (not enough time to sync with the cloud?). It can also be a pain to find an older project and start that timer again (e.g., a project that I had to set aside for 2 months and then pick up again)--you have to search for the entry you want through the web interface and copy & paste the description into the timer and manually add the same tags to start recording again.

Reason for choosing Toggl Track

I've heard of a few similar services but am so pleased with Toggl Track that I've not bothered to try the others.

Lisandro

E-Learning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2019

Toggl is the best time tracking software

We've been using Toggl in our business for over a year. It's key to track the time it takes to do certain tasks. We didn't know that when we started and we weren't tracking anything. When we found that out, we started tracking our times manually (writing the time of start and the time we ended in Evernote) This activity itself took too much time. But when we discovered Toggl it was productivity-changing! It's essential for our daily activities now. We considered many options like RescueTime and others I don't remember but found Toggl to be the most straightforward/easy to use

PROS

How EASY it is to use the features. I love that it remembers past entries so you don't need to retype any frequent activities. Also, the reports are really detailed. And I really appreciate it when I get an email from Toggl because I forgot to stop the timer; really useful!

CONS

The fact that it has not a mobile version of their site. The Toggl app was a total mess since the day I installed even though they tried to fix the issues updating the app several times (and even making a NEW app) but with no results. So when using my phone, I rely on their website to access my Toggl timer and reports but it looks terrible on phones. Also, their reports are not directly accessed via the Toggl desktop program but it opens the website (so when I have no internet access I cannot see it; it would be cool if I could).

Reason for choosing Toggl Track

Toggl looks more easy and intuitive. It doesn't have many robust features but that's what made it the right option for us as what we really wanted was simple: track time and get weekly reports and Toggl is more than capable of doing that.

Effective and easy-to-use

Really useful as a tool, I haven't explored beyond it's core functions but it does exactly what I need it for easily and effectively

PROS

It's very easy to use, very easy to add categories of how you spend your time etc and reporting this if necessary. It actually makes me more mindful of how much time I am spending on each area of marketing and making adjustments accordingly

CONS

Nothing specific- I haven't explored its more advanced functionality however (so it may have flaws I'm unaware of!

Jordan

Machinery, 11-50 employees

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Low value for the price

Entering time, setting up projects, team reporting are all fantastic. All that then needs to flow into QuickBooks.

PROS

The project setup and reporting are really good.

CONS

There are two major flaws with this software. 1. The best feature of this product, the project tracking, doesn't sync with QuickBooks. Why is this not built yet? 2. The second biggest flaw is that approvers can't see the weekly timesheet view that everyone uses to input their time we want to see the weekly view as it was entered. Fix these.

Alex

Construction, 201-500 employees

Toggl Track for Online Time Tracking

PROS

It has been easy to track time and expense upon project completion automatically.

CONS

I dislike that Toggl Track barely track time when not connected to the internet.

Ivan

Information Services, 1 employee

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Reviewed May 2024

I like everything

PROS

The ability to track time, to understand what I am doing and how, at what point in time This is the most important thing for me

CONS

Some graphics are blocked for free use, it is not clear why Also, a free period that starts at the very beginning is a bad idea, because then the user does not understand what and how. It is better to provide it after some time It is not clear on the phone how top projects are made It would be cool to have pinned projects and launch them quickly

Tuan

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Good product in general.

PROS

Ease of use: - Intuitive Interface and user-friendly design. - Integrated with Chrome -> easy to start the tasks - Can track across devices - Integrated with Google Calendars

CONS

When I use toggle track, there are some bugs that it track the progress at the same time twice. I click start in chrome extension but somehow it was not turned on, then I use the main web page to start. In the end, I got duplication.

Hayden

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Toggl Review

I've used Toggl for about four years and have enjoyed the flexibility of this time tracking tool!

PROS

The ease of use, the interface, and the ability to use it anywhere is extremely beneficial!

CONS

Syncing can be a bit off when using the phone app and the browser version.

Liam

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Insights That Help You Win & Scale

Overall, despite being hesitant to track my time - Toggl has been instrumental in enabling our department and company with the data to maintain profitability and scale.

PROS

Granular time tracking that allows you to identify wins and losses in your projects. With Toggl, we have been able to gauge efficiency within our department and make the necessary adjustments.

CONS

I have not yet found anything about Toggl that I do not enjoy

Matthew

Legal Services, 51-200 employees

Great Product!

Great tool, use it every day, would recommend to other companies!

PROS

Ease of use and user functionality is the best part.

CONS

Sometimes Toggl mobile and Toggl desktop do not sync up.

Brian

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2020

Since 2015, Toggl has been my only time-tracking app

The basic time-tracking aspect cannot be understated, it's dead simple to use out of the box. I have used other time-tracking apps that turned out to be bundled together with invoicing and I simply don't need that. I bill fixed retainers and only record hours for internal purposes so that I can course correct if I am ahead or behind on work and fix time-sucks. Other tools like Harvest wanted to integrate it all and it was heavy. I can't remember how I found Toggl but it was perfect. I had a hard time understanding the difference between Clients & Projects, at first. It was easy to pick up but I think I got confused with a UI change years ago. No problems since.

PROS

Out of the box, simple to use. Simple pricing and a free tier. The reporting is really simple but has 4 default views. This makes analysis really easy, knowing that I can see my work for an individual client over the course of a week, month, or year with just a couple clicks.

CONS

I have found the latest UI update has made clicking the Start button in the web UI to be pretty slow, I end up having to click it twice a lot and that is annoying.

Reason for choosing Toggl Track

Simplicity. I don't need a bundle. I use Quickbooks for invoicing now and I plan to stick with Toggl until I am forced to move.

501-1,000 employees

Reviewed November 2020

Simple, elegant, reliable

I've been a Toggl Track user for several years, on and off, and have found it to be one of the most pivotal tools for maintaining my productivity. If I have a timer running for a particular task, I'm far less likely to switch tasks until it's done. It's remarkable how such a simple tool can have such an impact on my stress levels, too. Since I'm a solo user, I've only used the free account, but it's more than enough for my needs. While there are several similar products on the market that will do basically the same job, it's the simplicity, clean interface and integrations that keep me loyal to Toggl. Aside from keeping me on track day-to-day, the data it generates is very valuable when looking at how I'm spending my time over weeks or months. This helps ensure I'm spending the bulk of my time on the jobs that matter most (it's shocking how much time email can suck out of your day if you let it!) The recent addition of the Timeline view makes it easier than ever to fill in the holes throughout the day where you've forgotten to set a timer, giving a complete picture and breakdown of your days.

PROS

The simplicity, clean interface and numerous integrations. I should also highlight the stability and reliability. I can't rate the customer service because I've never needed to contact them!

CONS

There's very little to criticize here. What it sets out to do, it does extremely well. As a fan of the Pomodoro technique, I feel this function could be improved in Toggl. I'd prefer it if it didn't automatically stop the timer, but rather gave me the option to trigger a break after a set time.

Reasons for switching to Toggl Track

Clockify is a good alternative, but I prefer Toggl's UI and the way it integrates with the other tools I use (like Notion).

Jakub

Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2022

Time tracking, time sheets and time billing

Being a small company we needed something we could track easily without any complicated setup. And Toggl provided. We have used it for 7+ years and it is still going very well. The best things are time is displayed in decimals so it can be easily multiplied with rates. Clients love the summaries, colleagues love the simplicity.

PROS

The ease of use of Toggl is unprecedented. After setting up projects and clients we are able to track very precisly tasks and projects for everyone. Switching form one task to another is dead simple and everyone who complains that his workflow is "not trackable" just should try this since changing projects even between calls takes only a click.

CONS

Pricing gets a bit steep after a larger team is on board + the timesheet vs. billable hours are not accessible in the free tier. Setting up new users and adding them into a team is somewhat complicated - but that is an UI/UX problem.

Reason for choosing Toggl Track

Historically we used it. But it became bulky and expensive.

Reasons for switching to Toggl Track

Basecamp did not offer Timetracking in their free option where we downgraded to after paying for years for their basic plan which we used mostly for timetracking. Toggle seemed like the better option at that time. And that is still true.

Bettina

Reviewed January 2023

Easy and excellent

Using Toggl has saved me many hours a month. It's very straightforward. The reports produced are well laid out and can be sent straight to clients when they need hour-by-hour accounting on large projects.

PROS

I like that Toggl is very easy to use and requires very little time to set up. The reporting and downloads are excellent. Great for tracking projects as a large job or as sub tasks. The tags are very handy and also have saved a lot of time.

CONS

I haven't found anything difficult to set up or integrate into existing processes.

Reasons for switching to Toggl Track

Needed project timer that could be split to the minute, so Toggl's start/stop was perfect.

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Intuitive timekeeping

I think our team has gotten better at tracking time thanks to the overall ease of use. Especially the timer function which means you can track time on the fly instead of having to go back and manually enter it.

PROS

Timekeeping sucks. There is no way around it, but outside of our people, time data is the greatest asset that our business has. Toggl makes the process of tracking time simple and intuitive.

CONS

The status bars for estimated time consumed are super helpful but I wish they separated out non-billable time. It needs to be a second bar or something visually similar.

Reasons for switching to Toggl Track

I love Monograph and their entire team but it is missing two key, non-negotiable features for us. Number 1 is that timekeeping is cumbersome on their platform. Number 2 it doesn't have the ability to flag when you are approaching estimates like Toggl. Less important, but on the list is that there is no app. The easier it is for people to track the time, the more likely they will do it accurately.

Reviewed September 2020

We have been tracking our time for many years

We started using toggl more than five years ago as task tracking, timesheet generation and reporting. The data has provided insight into how much time is spent on random things and how productive one's team actually is. And helps project managers to plan and achieve realistic timeframes. I haven't made use of the premium features. However the features available include multiple workspace (I have one for my personal projects), manual & live time tracking, calender view, a game-like achievements , coloured clients, projects, tags and export & reporting tools. I have and will recommend Toggl

PROS

The app and most functions are free for teams less than 5 members. This is great as we are a minute company. The desktop app is great to use to track your time, task switching and can setup hour intervals with a notice popping up to remind you to track your time..

CONS

The recent colour change to pink/purple is a bit weird on the user interface. But that's just my subjective opinion

Reasons for switching to Toggl Track

We needed a more automatic approach to tracking our time and time reporting than manually entering into a spread sheet.

Desiree

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2022

Keeping Tabs on Timme

I can see where my time is going. I can charge my clients properly for the work I am doing. I confidently use reporting in meetings and invoicing. It's much easier for me to do my tasks during the day, and I feel so accomplished to see the cumulative hours at the end of a week!

PROS

The keyboard shortcuts are a game changer with the web version of Toggl. I truly appreciate being able to move from time entry to time entry easily. Reporting has been a time saver and a life saver as it's an easy way to show others where my time has gone, which helps with billing and task prioritization. The interface is easy to navigate and I don't get tired of the color scheme.

CONS

I don't particularly enjoy the Windows desktop version or the Google Chrome extension. I cannot quickly jump from time entry to time entry or with keyboard shortcuts. I did see that the Toggl team recreated the desktop version from Windows and Mac, and I am praying those are better. The web version is the best, while the others are still yet to be desired. I am a daily user as well.

Reasons for switching to Toggl Track

I didn't like their time-tracking abilities. I like to keep it separate.

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2020

There's no reason to use any other software for your time tracking

I feel like such a freeloader because I've always used the free version of toggl and it has been more than I need for all of my time tracking needs. I started out using it as a freelancer, and it still works at the free level for me even with a couple of team members. I absolutely love Toggl, so the least I can do is leave this review for them.

PROS

I love the simple interface and how it provides the option to discard your inactive time (for those cases where you leave your desk and forget to pause your timer), keep your time as part of your existing time tracking project, or save the time to a new time tracking project.

CONS

I've been using the software for over 5 years. Initially there were some hiccups, but that has all been ironed out now. This is as close as you get to perfect software that does exactly what you want it to do.

Reason for choosing Toggl Track

This is one of those no-brainer decisions. There is absolutely no other time tracking software you should use instead of toggl. This is the one you want.

Robert

Reviewed February 2021

Toggl Track - Exceptional!

I wanted a way to track my time usage across several categories, and Toggl does this well. Tracking time usage for these categories will help me estimate time use on future projects. After I have tested Toggl more thoroughly I plan to introduce it to my colleagues.

PROS

It does exactly what I need it to do - keep track of my work time by project, category and task. It was quite easy to learn. It works seamlessly across devices. It doesn't need internet access to work, which is especially important for me as I often work off-grid.

CONS

The only thing -very minor- that I don't like is that when I am using my laptop for other things it keeps giving reminders to turn on my timecard. I'm sure there's a way to turn this off, but I haven't had time to figure it out.

Reason for choosing Toggl Track

Many other apps offered a trial version. But their trial versions were very limited in features and/or time. Toggl had all the features I wanted available in the free version. My work team is small, and I needed to find something that I could use free for several months before considering purchasing. Even the free trial version of Toggl is robust, and has capabilities that I haven't had time to explore. The paid versions of Toggl were in my estimation more reasonably priced than other apps.

Reasons for switching to Toggl Track

Too time consuming to track time, make sure all the formulas across all categories were correct. Couldn't use it across devices. Difficult to keep track of time spent on specific tasks and categories.

Rafal