All The Studio Director Reviews

Keara

Reviewed August 2017

My overall experience with The Studio Director has been very positive!

PROS

The most outstanding thing about The Studio Director is their customer service. They are thorough, polite, helpful, and knowledgable. I get an email response typically within just a few minutes of asking my questions and the response includes step by step instructions on how to proceed. Their advice is invaluable.

CONS

Being a performing arts studio that offers both group classes and private lessons, my main complaint would be that I have to create 2 different seasons for both. Because of this, I have to do a little extra work when I want to send a group email or offer discounts to students who take classes in both seasons.

Rachel

Performing Arts, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2017

Review of The Studio Director by a Dance Studio Manager

I have worked in many corporate databases, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when I started using The Studio Director. The dance studio I work for had already been using it for quite a few years when I became the studio manager. I was able to figure almost all of our daily functions in less than two days! The software is user-friendly, dynamic, and has great technical support! The staff are always friendly and prompt and have some kind of solution for most of our questions.

PROS

This software is dynamic! It lets us manager our studio store items and sales, our dance classes, seasons, and performances, our online client portal, our families, students, and communication methods - all in one program!

CONS

Setting up seasons can be a little complicated, depending on the various types of class set-ups we may want to offer - in the summer we have multiple 1-week camps, a 7-week session, grouped dance intensives, etc., and all require some real thought to make sure they are set-up correctly for the right dates, charges, and so they make sense to the client in their online registration portal. In addition, there is no good way to pick and choose clients to email out of a group - you can only email the whole group or an individual family, unless you can figure out which clients are which by their email address and delete them individually from the "to" line - which is near impossible!

Emily

Performing Arts, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2017

Dance studio with 400 students and several different seasons/programs

I started with The Dance Academy 3 years ago so that is how long i've had studio director. I have a feeling studio director has awesome functionalities and capabilities but my biggest obstacle is that i don't know how to use them and i don't know what i'm not using. For day to day, the software is great. Reliable, relatively user-friendly, and makes registration easy for me. Here are a few areas i think could be improved: -building emails and email campaigns, i know there's a drip campaign feature but i tried and could not figure out how to use it. To pre-program our emails to send automatically would be super helpful -I do not want my clients to be able to click the 'do not send me emails' option upon registration because they end up missing out on important communications from us -i had to manually go through and delete over 1000 families from the system recently, could not believe i couldn't just filter a group via a tag and delete them all in bulk... instead, this took hours and hours of my time -From a customer perspective, registration experience could be easier, better looking, and i want control over the emails a customer receives upon registering. -Would be great if i could automate a customized 'welcome' email as well as an email that automatically goes out to everyone 1 month and one week before class starts to prepare them for class. My main wish would be for a studio director consultant to sit down with me, analyze our current use of the software, listen to everything we do, everything we wish we could do, and then teach us how we could be using the software better, show us things we don't know, and just make sure we are operating as efficiently and effectively as possible with the product. Sort of like a nice, thorough audit of our current usage followed by a tutorial to improve future use.

PROS

The customer service is AMAZING. They alway get back to me fast, are patient and kind, and willing to talk by phone or email any time of the day. I REALLY appreciate this and it is pretty much 60% of why i'd recommend Studio Director.

CONS

It's a bit clunky at times, report pulling should be easier, emails should be better (take a look at mail chimp, THAT is a top notch email software), there are some major inefficiencies i've experienced, I have a feeling i am utilizing maybe 30% the software capabilities so as great as the software may be, there's definitely a lack of awareness/education would like help using it more and better.

Danelle

Reviewed February 2018

Customer service is fantastic. their team is quick to reply, and incredibly patient and informative.

PROS

The program is user friendly, and keeps us organized. I am so thankful for Studio Director. I mostly use and appreciate the following: the attendance, pro-rating abilities, cancelling classes, keeping track of substitutes, being able to send quick emails is easy, keeping track of who owes, who is in the performances, making charges for fundraisers, late fees is simple, the list goes on.

CONS

I can't print labels by class 1 per family only with students name it it. or sort labels by class to help organize information to be passed out in class. Sometimes the reports are tricky.

Lauren

Reviewed September 2016

Excellent Customer Service

Studio Director works well as the main database for our non-profit dance education program. We track over 600 family accounts, and this system has been working smoothly for us for about 4 years.

PROS

The customer service is key - whenever we come across an issue, we get immediate support. The reports and texting features are a few others that we use frequently and have good success with.

CONS

There are reports that would be useful to us that simply do not exist. There are many choices that work well, but it's not always customizable when you have specific needs that correlate with grant fund reporting.

Audra

Performing Arts, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2022

Needs updates

I like the pre-approval feature and the online store feature. However, attendance tracking for faculty is not efficient. A staff portal with attendance and skill tracking would be a huge improvement. Allowing parents to schedule make-ups would be great as well. The event management is also time consuming. One window to drag and drop classes into an event would be preferred over constantly going back and forth between windows to add performances for classes and adding classes to an event.

PROS

The pre-approval feature makes registering for the next season so easy for parents. They don't have to search through all class offerings to find the classes they should sign up for.

CONS

I feel like I constantly have to switch between windows to do things. It is very hard for staff to quickly take attendance for their class.

Reasons for switching to The Studio Director

I work for one studio where we use Jackrabbit and another that uses Studio Director.

Danelle

1 employee

Reviewed February 2017

I am a Fan of the Studio Director

When we first started using the Studio Director, it was easy to figure out, set up and start using right away. Their customer service is excellent- always helpful answering questions with explanations or choices. My studio is organized and profitable with the help of their program. It has a lot of functions/features so it can be customized to fit my studio needs. I highly recommend the Studio Director.

PROS

tracking of attendance, family and student information, charges and payments.

CONS

sometimes the reports do not add up right or find all the people who owe a certain fee.

Kelly

Reviewed January 2018

TSDirector is easy to use, and was my software of choice for communication with CostumeManger.com.

Mobile access for staff and clients

PROS

*Online Enrollment option *Date Specific Schedule option *Email Templates *Email History *Mobile accessible for staff

CONS

*Online payment SPLITS do not appear on payment detail for the day after they are entered *inability to make partial payment with Autopay feature *inability to apply SPLIT payments with Autopay feature *inability to select ACTIVE, INACTIVE, or PROSPECT for each family/student (which results in paying for inactive students)

cathy

Reviewed May 2017

There has been a lot to learn but worth it to help immensely with office management.

PROS

Ease of communication with instructors, students and families. Keeping track of family balances. Comparison of year to year reports.

CONS

Sometimes the dashboard reports seem to fluctuate or not make complete sense month to month and I'm not sure if it's because the information is not entered correctly . For example our enrollment showed 10 people dropped out in the past 2 months and we know that didn't happen.

Edgar

Performing Arts, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2018

Alot less headaches for Studio Owners and Dance Teachers

Who cares about the looks when running your studio is the main part. When talking to studio owners and dance teachers they tend to realize that running this business is a more difficult task than jumping on stage. This application gives you alot for not a really big fee. Schedules, presentations, costumer relationship (a.k. parents), and even merchandise selling. Whether its online or on your mobile phone, it's always available so you can stay connected and watch your business grow!

PROS

A simple idea behind a big solution... a dance studio owner or director is nowhere near of knowing the big administrative task of persuing their dream of teaching young ones. Alot of funtions for running their business and even taking care of payments and schedules... it even tastes like your running a big school all within this app.

CONS

Design is not their biggest attributes but who cares when everything starts to work together.

Dawn

Performing Arts, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Good Studio Management Software

Overall we were satisfied with our use of The Studio Director. We changed to another software for functionality that was more important for customer satisfaction. There were things that the Studio Director does better than competitor tools, but there are gaps in most products in the market.

PROS

Love the ease of setup of our seasons, classes, billing and charging customers. Most functionality is there for running a dance studio or similar business.

CONS

Could not successfully list classes on our website with links directly to enrolling. No way to track private lessons and studio room usage to have a complete studio availability calendar. Not as user friendly as other studio management products.

Tina

Reviewed July 2017

Studio Director is a very helpful tool for our non-profit organization's youth dance program.

Ability to run many reports that assist our program's operations and help us report on numbers and demographics to our funding sector.

PROS

The customizable options with informational menus that are easily adjusted using the Admin function.

CONS

The reports that we want to pull don't always exist as we need them, so it involves compiling multiple different reports manually. I think it's par for the course with most databases, and it's not a huge problem in our day to day operations.

Lindsay

Reviewed June 2017

Studio Director serves many of our needs for an after-school dance training program for students.

We are able to manage hundreds of family and student accounts, set up our seasonal class schedules and rosters, and manage our recitals.

PROS

The function for pulling a recital show order that has the least quick changes possible is excellent.

CONS

Sometimes it's hard to find one report that covers everything we need, so we often have to piece things together manually.

Meghan

Fine Art, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2018

Studio Director

Their customer service is excellent, the software is pretty user friendly just would love more ease of online registration and a more updated parent portal.

PROS

I love the costume measuring feature as well as company sizing.

CONS

I don’t like that texting isn’t a package deal it is ala carte.

Karen

Sports, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2017

Easy to navigate through the program

PROS

Information is very accessible, allows for good communication with members. Reports are very helpful with our daily operations.

CONS

Would like to see the ability to change fonts or text colors in notes, etc. Make bold, underline, or italic

Vanessa

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 201-500 employees

Reviewed December 2016

We love using studio director!

It makes our studio run smooth! With studio director, we are able to run our studio effectively. We organize, register, and all our accounts for all our families are kept organized on there as well.

Debbie

Education Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2017

Awesome Customer Service

ease of use

PROS

Personalized customer service and user very user friendly. I would highly recommend this software to all studios.

CONS

That I have to hit save changes every time. Still learning the program. We haven't hit too many road blocks yet. We need to learn how to not see other sessions in ledgers.

Vanessa