• Pros

• "Very impressed with the features, ease of use and UI design."

• "It was a great software that we used for internal communication. It was quick and easy to use for group chats."

• "I like this software cause it makes it easy to talk to others or post information to them. I also like the emojis that show for expressing your posts."

• Cons

• "When its running in the background the desktop app doesn't open when you open using the shortcut icon to open it. there is nothing to hate about this app "

• "Because it is an open source project, it has some bugs."

• "Updates. The platform while quick to work out bugs does require you to re-start the app after the update."

Browse Rocket.Chat Reviews

Jesse from Rock Island Auction Company

As close as you can get to Slack without being Slack

Overall I have been using Rocket Chat for over a year now and it's been a great tool for collaboration and communication internally.

Pros

Rocket Chat is, in my opinion, the best alternative to Slack that is available today. The best part about Rocket Chat is that you can install it on your own local servers so you're no reliant on someone else storing your data on their servers on the Internet. This can be particularly valuable for those who may distrust the Internet a good deal. Rocket Chat offers a wide variety of features that make it, again in my opinion, the best contender to face off against the Slack platform.

Cons

Rocket Chat can sometimes be tricky or actually impossible to update and the features and settings can sometimes be a little difficult to understand what exactly they do.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied August 2020

Hello Jesse, we're happy to read that you've been having such a positive experience with Rocket.Chat. Whatever problems you face, you can always take it to our community on Github or to our support team on support@rocket.chat :) Thank you and keep rock(et)ing! Rocket.Chat Team

Aditya from Qilin Lab

My 6 months with Rocket Chat

Very satisfied . I have used Slack, Teamwork Chat before, but Rocket Chat is very economical to me ( free- minus the VPS cost). ANd it has everything we need.

Pros

1. Installation is a breeze. I was able to install Rocket Chat, get SSL configured, and had a running server set up in an hour without having to wave through endless linux commands. 2. Inbuilt support, for Video call using Jitsi, and inbuilt notifications. 3. Slack like user interface , which my team can instantly connect to.

Cons

1. The Quote a message, can be improved, it is visually not very clear. 2. The Video call doesn't ring inside the application, only gives a button to join which makes people skip it some times. 3. On Windows, if the app is running in background, you need to go to the notification panel to bring it to front, if you start from the Start Menu, it doesn't come to front. Overall, the shortcomings are very less and trivial. The software is very stable and a breeze to use.

Reasons for Choosing Rocket.Chat

I tried it, loved it , stuck to it. It gave me no reason to switch.

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

Slack doesnt have screen sharing on free version, which was the primary reason I shifted to Rocket CHat

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied September 2019

Hi Aditya, our team is constantly improving the platform to offer our users an amazing team chat platform for internal and external communication. We would love to understand better the problems you are facing, would you be able to detail them and send us on support@rocket.chat? thanks for your feedback!

We switched back to Slack

From a hosting perspective it has been running good, but our users do not like the experience comparing it to Slack.

Pros

Rocket.chat is a great alternative to Slack with the possibility to run it without license costs on-premise. Documentation is good and a lot of Slack integrations also works with rocket.chat.

Cons

Push notifications has been bugging and recently limits has been introduced for the push gateway. Our users does not like it because it is not Slack.

Reasons for Choosing Rocket.Chat

We switched back to Slack after a running Rocket.chat for about 4 years.

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

We switched from slack in 2016 to be in charge or our own data and to reduce costs.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied December 2020

Dear Rocketeer, we're very sorry to see you go. You can check if the push notification limit applies to you here: https://forums.rocket.chat/t/push-notification-gateway-pricing/3044. We're glad you found us when looking for ways to be the owner of your data. Thank you for your feedback - we're always improving our UX and design to make Rocket.Chat as user-friendly as possible. Hope to see you again in our rocket anytime soon!

David from Microboss

An easy to deploy organisational chat solution

When we were forced into lockdown in 2020 and everyone went to work from home, I immediately needed a group chat solution. I evaluated many options, but Rocket.Chat was by far the quickest one to implement. Everyone worked out how to use it very quickly. We setup multiple channels for different business sections and major projects. Everything is very logical for posting of pictures, emoji's and everything required for a business chat solution. It just worked and everyone was very happy with the results.

Pros

I found Rocket.Chat very easy to install and deploy into my organisation. I simply built a Ubuntu server and followed the easy instructions to install the required packages. I then setup a reverse proxy using NginX so I could allow access for external staff and so that the mobile app was functional.

Cons

The only challenge I encountered was with the mobile app notifications. Because the push notification contains the internal port number used by Rocket.Chat, i have to manually launch the app to read the new messages. This is just a configuration issue.

Reasons for Choosing Rocket.Chat

Microsoft Teams was awkward for us to implement due to Office 365 tenancy licensing (we are primarily all on-premises for our infrastructure). Mattermost seemed to lean toward slack style bots which I wasn't interested in. Discord was not a consideration in a business environment as we'd previously blocked it due to staff misuse during work hours.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied January 2021

Hello David, thank you for your review - we appreciate it. We're glad you're having a positive experience with Rocket.Chat! Feel free to reach out to us anytime :)

Nick from Cognize LLC

Excellent Open Source Chat Solution with Many Integrations

Overall, Rocket.Chat provides all of the chat solutions I am looking for. Public channels, private channels, private messaging, Webhooks and integrations, including SMS and a website chat widget. Setup is incredibly easy using Docker or Ubuntu Snap.

Pros

It's open source, easy to deploy and customize. It allows for easy integrations using Webhooks, with Twilio's API, and has a live chat widget for your website.

Cons

There are still a couple of quirks in the iOS app, but overall it runs smoothly. Accessing and registering for the Rocket.Chat cloud marketplace is not as intuitive as it could be. The marketplace also requires a paid plan.

Reasons for Choosing Rocket.Chat

I chose Rocket.Chat because it's open source and self-hosted, in addition to being able to integrate it with other applications.

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

Rocket.Chat is open source and can be self-hosted, which means you're in control of your data and privacy. It also has additional features that Slack doesn't have.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied September 2019

Dear Nick, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Ernie from Ordereze

Blast off with Rocket.Chat

Pros

+ Cloud-hosted option + Sleek UI + extensive access controls/user permissions + Auditing panel + REST API + can be accessed on a web browser/desktop client

Cons

- NO native Office365/Azure AD SSO - Can be pricey compared to Microsoft Teams in 2020

Reasons for Choosing Rocket.Chat

Microsoft Teams at the time was still new. it did not have all of the features i was looking for at the time.

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

We were using an on premise server hosting Openfire IM, this system was painfully dated and we wanted something akin to Slack. Rocket.Chat advertised itself as a open source/cost effective alternative to Slack

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied July 2020

Hello Ernie, we're glad that you chose Rocket.Chat and that you've been having an overall positive experience with us so far. In order to receive the latest updates, feel free to subscribe to our monthly newsletter: https://bit.ly/3jQ6jo3 Once more, thanks for your helpful feedback, it will help us to continually improve our platform. Sincerely, Rocket.Chat Team

Gabriel from NetRom

Good & free corporate chat alternative

Rocket.Chat is an overall-nice & free alternative to other enterprise messaging tools. A few words about setting it up: - The server runs on-premises, so all chat data currently resides in our own infrastructure - this was also one of the reasons we chose this. - Secondly it supports LDAP, so this played well with our Active Directory accounts. - Voice calling requires additional setup, which we decided to skip. - Mimetypes for supported file attachments need to be configured by hand, one-by-one And about usability: first of all, it does lack some nice-to-haves here and there: - It cannot be integrated with SharePoint, so there are no status updates when going in a meeting. - Since the desktop client is an Electron app, notifications are a bit lacking; these aren't persistent and besides showing a small blip in the system tray icon, you can't really tell whether there are any new messages. - Also due to the client being an Electron app, it cannot support systemwide shortcuts - It lacks the "threading discussion" that you see in other chat apps. However, all basic features are in place. Pasting images and links gives you a nice preview and text formatting is simple and works as expected. Also, it has a nice Off-The-Record mode where messages are not persisted. And finally, features are still being developed so new features are added constantly.

Pros

- Supports LDAP authentication - On-premises server - Platform availability (both web, mobile and Desktop) - Good & clean usability

Cons

- Some things are still not working in the mobile native app (e.g.: voting on polls) - No support for threaded chat - No straightforward integration with SharePoint - Electron client app only, so notifications are a bit lacking

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

After many years of pain using Skype4Business there are finally plans by Microsoft to phase it out. So we decided to test out several platforms - RocketChat included, which we also ended up adopting in the end.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied January 2020

Hi Gabriel, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

An open source scalable chat platform

Pros

Rocket Chat is a completely open source and scalable platform. I love all the options that are offered from: message history, public & private channels, video, admin options, and more. The options are unlimited and I don't think I would ever use them all; but I'm glad they are there.

Cons

Support & Sales are diffcult to contact. I like talking to an actually person over the phone when making larger scale changes to my organization.

Reasons for Choosing Rocket.Chat

Rocket Chat can be customized to our needs and has a variety of implementations

Price

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied October 2019

Hi Rocketeer, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Rocket Chat review

I used other professional chat applications also, it is similar to others.

Pros

It's really good to use and good to create a public and private channel to do conversation in group. I also love the future of rocket chat API, so you can do a message programmatically.

Cons

sometimes it's really slow to use and it crashed while opening its application. one more thing is when we search into chat, by click on that message we can not directly go to that part of the chat.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied July 2020

Dear Rocketeer, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We're happy to see your satisfaction and we're always looking for ways to improve our system. Keep rocketing! Kind regards, Rocket.Chat team

Great free tool for communication

Easy to set up, easy to configure and easy to use.

Pros

I like that RocketChat can be deployed as self-hosted, this makes our work communication safe and highly-secure. All the necessary features are available: audio and video conferencing, screen sharing, chatting, file sharing, APIs etc.

Cons

RocketChat video conferencing was under development, so for these purposes we integrated Jitsi Meet into this software.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied February 2021

Hello Rocketeer, thank you so much for your valuable feedback. We're always looking for ways to improve our product, and messages like yours help us do it. We're glad to have you with us and that you're having a positive experience with Rocket.Chat.

Faraan from Software Industry

Love for in company communication

To summarize, makes communicating within company very easy. Love ability to create groups, send a variety of message formats, and chat history logging.

Pros

Number one thing -> love the fact that it keeps all logs of chats saved. Very easy to message code snippets or images or any sort of file to coworkers.

Cons

Haven't found anything I disliked about rocketchat yet. It is quite a big upgrade over our last messaging tool (skype).

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

I am not sure why the company decided to make the switch but the biggest upgrades over skype was the way Rocketchat saves chat histories is a lot better than Skype and I always had issues sending larger files or code snippets over skype.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied January 2020

Dear Faraan, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Gavin from F12.net

A great, free Slack replacement

Cross-country communications have been simplified and we've been able to move from Slack to Rocket.chat with very little learning curve for our users. While gaining an unlimited amount of messages being saved, nearly unlimited storage space, and still keeping a familiar appearance, we've been able to implement SSO and created a number of custom data integrations with our ticketing system.

Pros

OpenSource, free, and self hosted, gives us the freedom to manage and maintain a nationwide communications platform while keeping the costs very low.

Cons

The biggest issue we have with Rocket.chat is somewhat inconsistent notifications being received to some mobile phones.

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

Slack was costing too much for the many users we had, and we had little control over the infrastructure outages and associated costs.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied August 2020

Hi Gavin, Your helpful comments are much appreciated,and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much!

Charlie from Nixa Public Schools

Rocket.Chat Open Source Messaging Platform

We're using it just within the Systems department, and I like that it's installed locally and is completely controlled by us. We use it daily for quick messages between systems techs that don't need to be on our cloud messaging platform.

Pros

I love the simplicity and functionality of Rocket.Chat, especially for an open source app. Integration with Active Directory was quick and easy, and the mobile, desktop, and Web apps work great!

Cons

My one niggle with RC is with the way notifications work when you're logged in on multiple devices and apps. When I read a message on my desktop app, it's not marked as read on my mobile apps. I've searched high and low in the admin settings and can't find anything that I can turn on to fix that.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied November 2020

Hello Charlie, thank you so much for your feedback. We're glad that you're enjoying Rocket.Chat and your usage insights are very important for the continuous improvement of our platform. If you're still facing any issues regarding push notifications, please reach out at support@rocket.chat. We're happy to have you onboard! Rocket.Chat Team

Great internal team chat and slack alternative for european companies

Overall positive. I would recommend it to any company or team who wants to keep control over their own data and need a reliable chat messenger.

Pros

It's easy to use, didn't cost anything (if self-hosted) and helps us meet EU-GDPR requirements. Further it provides a nice app and a community, that constantly improves the chat and features.

Cons

Overall look could be nicer, when compared to Slack or similiar. So when changing from another system, it may not look as nice as you are used too, but the differences are really mininal, so that's not crucial. A few times I had the feeling that it has issues to reliably mark already read messages.

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

EU GDPR and control over data processing.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied September 2020

Dear Rocketeer, thank you for your message. Your feedback is very important so we can continuously improve our product. Thank you for choosing Rocket.Chat!

Mudssar from Orient Electronics Pvt ltd.

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Rocket Chat Messanger in Customer Service.

Effectieve business communication among clients/internal and customers. happy to use i.

Pros

easy to use, configure, can be installed on many forum like ubuntu,ocean,docker etc. Android/IOS application supported. text formatting is value aded feature. file can be sent or recieved. hence at server level restriction can be made to avoid data sharing. channel/grouping can be made. 2 step security is good option.

Cons

User cant made group, does not work with windows server active user directory, if you paste large data, it will convert it to text file, editor do not support for medium large data.

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

Unable to handel client outside windows users, i.e users needs to be registered on domain.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied August 2020

Hello Mudssar, we're glad your happy with the overall performance of our product. :) About the problems you're facing, you can always contact support@rocket.chat and we'll be happy to help you! Kind regards, Rocket.Chat Team

Bob from MetaLuminous Corp.

Remarkably Good!

Rocket Chat allows our widely distributed development and management teams to work almost as if we were in the same location. The ability to add third-parties to meetings ad-hoc gives us a completely integrated solution. We are very satisfied!

Pros

The feature set is very strong. It allows our distributed teams to work much more tightly together. For our developers, the voice and screen-sharing allow widely separated coders to pair-program as if they were in the same room. The messaging is robust, and the voice quality is good. Overall, Rocket Chat is extremely solid, plenty strong enough to be used in a mission-critical capacity.

Cons

Most complaints center around the various quirks of the Jitsi subsystem, and related usability issues. For example, the only calling choice offered is "Video Chat". All we want is a voice call. Most of our machines intentionally do not have webcams, yet we have no choice but to select "Video Chat" and then dismiss the dialogs warning us that no camera was found. Every time, with every call. It gets tedious. This is a great example of a very small thing gradually becoming a significant usability issue. Also, for those of us who do have cameras, the default initial setting for a call should be camera OFF for heavens sake. There have already been a couple of embarrassing accidents.

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

Ability to self-host; Data confidentiality; Cost savings.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied October 2019

Hi Bob, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Adam from Megabotix

Rocket.Chat is an open-source discord or slack. A chat program you can host on your own server.

I used this product as a secure chat interface to get away from facebook.

Pros

Well, amazingly it's free for personal and commercial use. On top of that it works very well, and you can even deploy in a docker, which means you can get it up fast. It has tons of functions that you can integrate to compete with the discord and slack. Tons. Also, you can integrate bots, which seems like the latest thing.

Cons

I can't really think of any Cons, except maybe not great for the technologically challenged. This software is robust, so you can get lost in settings pages if you don't know where to go. Still, I think anyone who can follow directions can get this working.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Adam, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Better to keep history

Its the best choice.

Pros

It is open source, easy to implement, has several applications in its marketplace.

Cons

I have no relevant criticism since the whole tool meets the company's demand.

The coust.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied September 2020

Hello Rocketeer, thank you for choosing us! We appreciate your feedback. Feel free to reach us anytime :) Sincerely, Rocket.Chat Team

shashank from Miracle Software Systems

Review on Rocket Chat.

As working in an organization, we generally communicate with our colleagues in the form of some short text messages in case of any requirements. Rocket chat is very fast and it supports file sharing. When I send some data which is confidential, I can send it through rocket chat cause it provides message-level security along with private chat option. I can create separate group channels for group conversations and can communicate with clients in much faster and in an easy way. We can have video calls with the clients. My overall experience of using this software is highly satisfiable.

Pros

1) It is a free and open source chat application. 2) Privacy chat feature is available and it is more secure. 3) The incoming message is translated to English if another user is communicating in some other language. 4) We can integrate our rocket chat with chatbots. 5) Can install plugins like Drupal for theme customization. 6) Supports different types of authentications like facebook, LinkedIn 7) Rocket chat community support is very good. 8) We can subscribe to different global channels for gaining knowledge.

Cons

I did not find any flaws with this software.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied April 2019

Thanks for your feedback!

Joram from Assent Compliance Inc

Rocket.Chat the easy way of communicating

a company may use rocket chart as its own patform or channel of communication and collaboration and it will be useful since its fast and friendly to use and work with

Pros

rocket chat allows multiple users to join and collaborate in channels that allows for free flow of communication on a regular basis, it is a very interactive tool for project managers to communicate to large number of people and to allow them to share information freely. one can also use rocket chat to send direct messages to users who have access to the rocket chat platformone can download rocket chat on the mobile platform both Android and iOS and on desktop both for Windows, macOS and Linux

Cons

sometimes if the app fails you have to use the browser to log in

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Joram, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Sheila from Sheila Xu Copywriter

Industry: Writing and Editing

Great Slack Alternative

Great for business-related chats to keep your teams and groups organized and separated.

Pros

I learned about this software when my previous employer asked us to transition to this software from Slack. And I liked it so much better! The user interface feels like Slack's and is intuitive as well. And best of all? All previous chat history is there for you to see...not blocked at all! It is also great for keeping your personal and business-related chats separate. No more emailing back and forth!

Cons

No other cons to mention here. If I had to pick Slack or this software, I would go with Rocket.chat.

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

My previous employer made the switch.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied January 2020

Hi Sheila, Your helpful comment are much appreciated and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much!

Jose from Gluu Inc.

One of the best free chats

It works nicely (desktop and mobile), very intuitive.

Pros

We use rocket chat in our company. It was the most convenient switch after (sad) years using Skype. Rocket is a rich tool for collaboration: group chats, file sharing, privileges, chat customization, etc. All at a cost of zero! It's open source meaning there is a lot of eyes at this product code and quality. Updates are available often too.

Cons

It is not possible to quote a message originated in a different chat room, so if you have an important message to share for others, most likely you end up copying it and then pasting.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Jose, Your helpful comment are much appreciated and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much! About quoting from different channels, if you use the "Permalink" option on the message pop up menu, a link will be copied to your clipboard, if you paste that link in another channel, a message preview will appear (similar to the reply one). This enables you to quote other messages in different channels

Giridhar from Miracle Software Systems, Inc

User Friendly

I have been using Rocket.Chat web application since 11 months and still going god with it. Best responsive design and live push notifications and will intimate us through Mail if we needed. Can also display overall information about our colleagues in their profile section and can also avail 2-factor authentication if needed. Also have chat bot integration and third party integration

Pros

Best User Interface Easy Installation and Easy to use Chat Bot Support Third Party Integration Public/Privates Rooms Can create ultimate number of groups Can also Display overall profile information Web Push/ Push Notifications (Automatic) Light Speed and fast responsive messenger Themes available

Cons

Can add more themes and GIF images to it It'll be good if you share your recent updates on it like about your software updates or about your new versions

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Giridhar, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Sandeep from NextPage IT Solutions

Best chat tool for organisations

I can discuss with my group about the ongoing projects without visiting each and every employee working on same project. Apart from project we can also discuss the problems faced during any phase of the development.

Pros

We can use Rocket.Chat to communicate directly, that is one to one, or we can use it for group chats. The user interface is very user friendly. The best thing about this software is that it is an open source product. I can chat with my colleagues even if I am not in the office. It also has a web version which makes it easy when the desktop application is not working

Cons

We can not drag and drop files in the group chats, we have to open the file attachment window to open an file. Sometimes while chatting, in the middle of the chat the desktop application hangs a lot.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Sandeep, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Mbongiseni from Retro Rabbit

Rocket Experience

Its the best chat tool for organisations and its the closest you can get to slack

Pros

Its free to use its also great for sharing files you get emails for all rocket messages, makes it easy to catch missed messages its open source Its way better than sending emails to colleagues you can host it in your own server

Cons

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied September 2019

Dear Mbongiseni, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Joe from Avatara CompleteCloud

Easy Team Communication

Instead of emailing, you can send a message quickly to a person, group or company wide. Very easy to use and a very effective communication tool.

Pros

The amount of resources this application needs to run in the background is remarkably low. It is free, open source and maximizes your time when sending along a quick message. We use it in the sales team to get a quick answer if we are unsure of the answer. A great and effective tool which makes us appear smart and knowledgeable.

Cons

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Joe, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Michael from Hochschule Ravensburg-Weingarten

Rock solid business chat application with strong community support

A free chat communication system which I can host by myself for data security reasons.

Pros

The team behind Rocket.Chat delivers an ongoing effort to improve the software and add new features. Feature requests and bug reports are handled professionally. You can deploy the server on premises or in the cloud. It also has lots of clients (Android, iOS, Windows, Mac OSX, ... and of course web!) Most of the admin settings can be configured via the web interface. I use Rocket.Chat within a docker container and Traefik for SSL termination and proxy. Works like a charm.

Cons

Administration is not that easy and the documentation sometimes lacks in depth descriptions. Some functionality is not yet available in all clients.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied August 2020

Hello Michael, thank you for your feedback. We loved that you have such a good experience with our community version. If you have other suggestions let us know! Sincerely, Rocket.Chat Team

RC review

Pros

its very useful to chat with the colleagues and also to share certain type of files

Cons

it doesn't have a calling option to do a video conferencing

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied July 2020

Dear Rocketeer, we're happy to contribute to making communication - and your life - easier! We do have a video conference integration. :) In Rocket.Chat, you can do video and audio conferences using our Jitsi integration. If you want to know more about how to do it, check our documentation: https://docs.rocket.chat/guides/user-guides/voice-and-video-conferencing Your feedback is very much appreciated! Kind regards, Rocket.Chat Team

Renae from Self Employed

Rocket Chat provides a user friendly experience

I havent experienced any real issues or problems with rocket chat other that the issues posted up top. Overall i love the benefit of being able to chat and post quickly the information needed from someone and get a reply promptly if they are online.

Pros

Cons

I didnt like the update that was done where before you could delete direct messages and now you cant. Im all for organization and dont like that i cant delete those to clean up my page.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied January 2020

Hi Renae, Your helpful comment are much appreciated and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much!

DOMENIC from GA International Inc

Industry: Research

Rocket Chat Review

Pros

Cons

The only thing that I did not like about this software was that you could not do voice calls which was the reason our company switched over to another software.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2020

Hello Domenic! With the feedback and help of our end-users and developer community, our team is constantly improving the platform an amazing team chat platform for internal and external communication. Been open-source has its benefits. Feel free to reach us at any time!

Katrina from Red Hat

Cost-effective, less restrictive alternative to Slack

Pros

Our internal Slack instance quickly outgrew the free features & space available. With Rocket Chat, we have more space (so chats aren't reset daily) and features, as well as greater control over features. My team now uses Rocket Chat almost exclusively to communicate within our department and with other departments/teams. It's a great alternative for communicating during remote work or multitasking without disturbing co-workers.

Cons

There have been some stability/compatibility issues; I often had problems loading chat in Firefox (even after clearing my cache and/or restarting my machine) but haven't had any issues after changing to using Chrome as my browser.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Katrina, Your helpful comment are much appreciated and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much!

Ramindu from Virtusa Corporation

On-premise effective work chat server

We used Rocket.Chat as a chat server for an application we were building. We wanted to keep this chat off 3rd party services.

Pros

Rocket.Chat is great in terms of the fact that it allows you to manage your own chat server without having to go through third party services and paid subscription plans. You just download and install the server and you're good to go as long as you install and configure the chat client (or you could even use it through the web client). It also provides an interesting websocket + RESTful web service interface which you could integrate with any application you build. It is free and open source, so if you play your cards right, you have an effective, modern chat server for free.

Cons

It can be a hindrance at times to do more granular configuration on a Rocket.Chat server and it takes a while to figure these things out.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied January 2020

Hi Ramindu! Your helpful comment are much appreciated and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much!

Berin from WV

Great app for companies.

Pros

Rocket chat has been made in a perfect way. You have many options to work with. It is perfect for companies, but also it is perfect for personal uses.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that they don't have good mobile app. There is a mobile app already but it doesn't work as it should.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Berin, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Will from Claromentis Ltd

A good open source alternative to Slack

Pros

Can be deployed easily on your own infrastructure. Easy to integrate with other applications, using web hooks. The fact that it's open source makes it accessible to so many companies!

Cons

Some functionality doesn't seem to be thought through, for example the colour of the room title changes based on the room title and can't be customised. It would be great if you could just pick a colour. The current threaded conversations don't stop multiple conversations in a room turning into a complicated conversation. The slackbot equivalent 'Hubot' isn't heavily worked on, so lags behind Slack in this department.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Will, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Good for basic chat

Pros

Its easy to use. Also you can favorite each person or group chat for easier visibility.

Cons

Its missing search over chats so its really hard that you have to remember which topic you discussed with who.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied March 2021

Hi Reviewer! Thank you very much for your feedback! This is really important for us! Addressing the point mentioned in the "Cons" section: We completely agree with you and a native "Global Message Search" is programmed to be released in future updates. As of now, you can search messages only inside each channel/Direct Message. You are more than welcome to test our latest update v3.13! You will find more details in: https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat/releases

A great option for an online chatroom

Pros

Cost effective hosting Good Integrations Simple to use

Cons

Customer Support Help documentation is a bit lacking

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Rocketeer, Thanks for the feedback! We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience! Given our open source nature, it is sometimes difficult to keep our documentation updated, we are always doing our best to keep it updated and our awesome community does a great job in helping us with this task.

Tyler from Tykisson IT

Excellent Open Source Chat Utility

Pros

This is a great full featured chat utility that packs a lot into the free software. This is easy to host on your own servers with the available snap installs. Not only offers a great chat enviroment but easily ties into your website for a live chat option.

Cons

Other chat utilities are building in threads which is a nice feature to have. Some of the self hosted setup can be challenging but not overly difficult.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Tyler, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Darin from General Trader Fulfillment

A lot of features, but lacking bug fixes

We needed a way to control users access to in a chat. We wanted out company chat in our pockets and didn't want to use Slack. We wanted a branded chat that we could include our customers in as well. This fit that need perfectly. If those bugs were just out of the way we'd be in business.

Pros

Rocket.Chat has so many features it's crazy. I mean, there's a feature in here to authenticate using Wordpress! So cool! They have both React Native and native apps so getting this customized and deployed is pretty easy. It works pretty well out of the box minus a few bugs. It's got a large community backing most of the repositories which is a huge plus. Overall there's a lot going for it.

Cons

Bugs... OMG the bugs are ruthless. Right out of the gate the React Native version didn't have avatar uploading working. We had to pay $1000 to contract out a developer to fix the issue for us. The issue wasn't really a fix more than it was a hack so we weren't able to push it back into the main development branch. There's also a problem with notifications right out of the box. That is really frustrating and we still don't have notifications working on our platforms.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Darin, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience! If you are having issues updating the desktop app, please manually download and install the latest version at https://rocket.chat/install . We have this issue as a known bug on a prior version and the fastest way to get rid of it is to download the desktop app again.

Joshua from Hi-Tech Repair & Consulting

Great chat program

Pros

Love that you can set up channels and configure admins and users. It works great and can be locally hosted and tied in to workgroup usernames.

Cons

None does what we need it for and we will keep it

Reasons for Switching to Rocket.Chat

Cheaper option and more features

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied September 2019

Dear Joshua, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

João Pedro from Sofist

Rocket Chat by Sofist

The communication between teams of the company stayed so much better.

Pros

This is a great software, when helps me and my team to have a better communication.

Cons

Your installation by GitHub an your first configuration are hard.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied September 2019

Dear Jo?o, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Charles from Ionic Automation

Industry: Biotechnology

Great product, user friendly, feature rich, ldap connectivity and doesn't require lots of ram, hd.

I like it, will need to see how my users experiences are. This was easy to deploy but customizing it was a learning curve but with a little research, figured out how to do it. Half my org uses MS TEAMS and comparting it to Rocket.Chat has me pretty amazed how feature rich rocket chat really is. Make sure if you want video chat capability to enable JITSI in the server admin console. One but I found was embedded video chat window doesn't display users webcam but if I detach that, webcam is displayed.

Pros

Relatively easy to install considering its a snap included in the Ubuntu 20 server bundle. Free to install, easy to use. Great for document collaboration, video calling and basic chat and integrates well with Microsoft AD.

Cons

Found several bugs in newest version. The software overall is stable but I personally have seen half a dozen bugs while testing this including LDAP integration and listing users names; some of which are included but not displayed in the client. I wish this had a capability to see all activated users and the presence status of each user in the admin console.

Open Source

Shaun from CRC

Industry: Research

Great Bang for Your Buck

All and all we like Rocket.Chat. It is a very inexpensive option for businesses that are 50+ people but aren't big enough to be a giant fortune 500 company will a lot of money to spend on internal chat. If you have less than 10 people on your team then go with Slack. It's more refined and you'll be spending the same amount. But once you go over 10 people Slack becomes a lot more expensive. If you're looking for a simple solution that gives more flexibility with permissions and save a good chunk of money Rocket.Chat is your best bet. Most of the time you won't miss having something like more expensive.

Pros

- Extremely inexpensive for business compared to something like Slack or Teams - A plethora of customization when it comes to permissions

Cons

- Missing some of the refinements that exist in things like Slack (i.e. notification settings are finicky sometimes, settings / preferences can be difficult for a lot of users to understand) - Anyone with our URL can technically sign up whenever they want. We just keep our public rooms locked so there's no info there - Even as the admin the amount of settings can be daunting at times.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Shaun, Thanks for the feedback! We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience! About the sing up problem, you can change the settings for user registration, you can either, have users be manually allowed on the server by the admins, or give them a secret url that can be used to register in the server. Check out our Documentation on managing account settings at https://rocket.chat/docs/administrator-guides/account-settings/#registration

Kelly from Berkeley County

Great product to use to get connected with others!

Pros

I use this product daily at work when I am trying to connect with other employees within our company. It is easy to use and very fast.

Cons

I have not found anything I do not like about it.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied September 2019

Dear Kelly, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Mark from Miva, Inc.

Blast off with Rocket.Chat ;)

We got Rocket.Chat because we needed the ability to control and encrypt our own chat data for PCI compliance. We had Slack before and loved it, but never paid for it, and needed to be able to secure our own chat data, so we changed to Rocket.Chat.

Pros

It's a great business chat software and makes it very simple to create channels and set chat preferences.

Cons

It's not very visually appealing compared to chat software like Slack.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Mark, Your helpful comment are much appreciated and your feedback will help us to continually improve our platform. Thank you very much!

Pedro from Informantem

Good Chat

It has served the purposes for sharing and collaboration very well

Pros

As a user, it was very simple to get used to, very intuitive, and even today very stable. Keeping a great track record is perhaps your greatest asset.

Cons

Little publicized, the name is not very appealing. I can't (or don't know) open two conversations in different windows.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied March 2020

Dear Pedro, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build better customer experience!

RAY from Leidos

Team Comm

Our team uses this software to communicate both with individual team members as well as dedicated rooms. It allows a quick, informal, non e-mail way to chat back and forth!

Pros

This software allows my team to quickly and easily communicate. We can set up rooms that allow only certain team members to receive messages in, which prevents potential communication mixups

Cons

We haven't seen any issues so far with our use of this software. Everything has functioned as it should with no problem.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied August 2020

Hello Ray, we're glad you're having such a positive experience with our product! If there's ever an issue, please don't hesitate to contact us on support@rocket.chat. Thank you for your feedback! :)

Bruno from RZ2 Sistemas de Gestão

Rocket.Chat is good, but needs some work

Pros

Rocket.Chat is an awesome solution for enterprise chat. As a remote employee, its my main tool to connect with my peers. It enables me in a easy way to contact and share information and files. Also, since the company hosts it, I find it secure to share sensitive data

Cons

The big problem with Rocket.Chat is usability. The mac application has a poor implementation , that resembles old chat applications like MSN Messenger. Its an outdated design that needs innovation ASAP

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Bruno, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Christophe from Afluens

Great Alternative to Slack

Great experience so far, pricing model is the only limitation for integration into our platform as we dont want to maintain our own app.

Pros

RocketChat is probably one of the best alternative to slack, it offers both the long-term support of open-source and the fast adoption cycle of a commercial cloud based offer.

Cons

Per-user pricing model is still to high for a chat, and limitation of push notifications is a problem for mobile user support. Another pricing model would be appreciated.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Hi Christopher, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Kristy from Uber

Most useful and helpful product

I would say in a nut shell this product is a huge savior to keep a steady workflow within any organization or company as well.

Pros

Firstly the sharing feature of this product is of unique importance that helps me to share unlimited files and folders to numerous people anywhere in the world in just few seconds. Another feature that I found more valuable is that I can easily receive material in order to make effective marketing programs through this special application.

Cons

It’s beneficial enough to maintain all the communication tasks on daily basis with a lot of ease. So, making good collaborative projects within certain time period is not less than a blessing for me. There are really no cons at all.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied October 2019

Hi Kristy! Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!

Rocket Chat , Chat and Work

Its cool using this rocket chat for passing information with friends and colleagues.Happy using this.

Pros

Its a great tool we often use it in our organisation to communicate with our Colleagues about work to pass any information.Its quite secure way of communication. We can go back to the previous chats to get any past information.We can make groups and pass the same information to all the members in the group.

Cons

Can add some more features would be better.

Response from Rocket.Chat

Replied June 2019

Dear Rocketeer, Thanks for the feedback on your experience with our platform. We sincerely appreciate your insight because it helps us build a better customer experience!