Lightspeed Retail

Lightspeed Retail Reviews

RATING:

• icon"I really appreciate the seamless integration between the POS and the eCommerce."
  • icon"You can read all about the features and I could tell you everything that we love or you can just be smart like we were and just try it."
  • icon"Ease of use great tech support the ability to use Lightspeed from any computer you have access to."
  • icon"The only negative would be, I live in Newfoundland, we have lots of storms and the power goes out frequently. I do sometimes have to call after outages to sync my ipad with my receipt printer."
  • icon"It takes seconds really. It also could be me not knowing how to use my computer - I did mention how bad I am."
  • icon"The delivery set up side company integration was horrible to work with."

Browse all Lightspeed Retail Reviews

• Have you used Lightspeed Retail and would like to share your experience with others?

Chad

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

June 2022

Access to information at your fingertips

Jessica

Best POS for small businesses

One major benefit is how easy my ordering is with their PO system.

Pros

I moved from Lightspeed to Clover and it's night and day. I had to piecemeal the Clover system on the back end to be useful and Lightspeed hands you so much. I've since added more and more of the Lightspeed system like loyalty because their tools are amazing. One of the best parts is their customer service. You get quick answers and they go above and beyond. Whether it's something as simple as why isn't my shipping working on ecom or how can I verify my website with the different social media platforms, their FAQs and customer service team never disappoint. If you are thinking about switching, do it. You won't regret it. It's made me more efficient all around. Thanks Lightspeed!

Cons

Lots of different options so it takes a bit to determine what you need to use.

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

Best integration of inventory, ease of use, I liked all the different standard things the system had like inventory POs, employees, special orders, and more.

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

Clover wouldn't allow me to do a website. Lightspeed integrates inventory on the brick and mortar and ecommerce sides.

Elizabeth

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

June 2022

Fantastic product for any retail business. Excellent value.

Overall, I think Lightspeed Retail is an excellent product and very simple for most any retail operation. I highly recommend it to colleagues for their POS/Inventory/eCom solutions.

Pros

Creating items and managing retail is very easy through Lightspeed Retail. The reporting features allow you to make great decisions for your business based on accurate data. Anytime I need help with something or am unsure as to how to do something regarding any feature of Lightspeed Retail, support is only a click away through the helpful chat feature. They are almost always immediate to respond and always kind and patient with any question.

Cons

Understanding how retail communicates with eCom is a little intimidating at first and simply took a minute to wrap my head around how it links together. Discounting could be a little more straight forward too but overall ok.

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

Lightspeed offered everything we need as a whole for our golf operation including tee sheet management, retail, website, marketing, and more.

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

There was nothing straight forward or easy about Club Prophet and their retail system. Everything was antiquated and reporting was challenging.

Steve

A great all-inclusive system

Our industry was using a server-based software which was cumbersome and VERY outdated. Switching to Lightspeed has allowed me to more easily fulfil online orders, process transactions remotely, and communicate with our customer base more effectively.

Pros

Integration across POS, eCommerce, Accounting, Data Analytics is excellent. We have been able to increase both sales and efficiency with this system. The accounting feature and its daily export to QuickBooks allows me to spend only a few minutes each day keeping books up to date. It certainly makes year-end a breeze. Lightspeed Analytics is an invaluable resource for forecasting and identifying areas of opportunity. Customer support is available 24/7 and if they aren't able to answer my question immediately, I have received a timely follow-up within a day or two.

Cons

There are some work-arounds that I have implemented. It would be nice to have the option for recurring billing and serial number tracking (not just adding a serial number to an item) as well as a better protocol for backordered items on Purchase Orders.

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

When I was ready to purchase Rain, the sales team kept putting me off time and time again. If that was indicative of their customer service, I knew it wouldn't be the right fit for me.

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

Easy choice. Transitioning from a local server based software to a cloud based system was the first priority. After seeing what else Lightspeed had to offer, I immediately made the change.

Nerissa

September 2022

Great for Retail

Pros

We have been using Lightspeed for our retail firearm business and this has been very helpful for us in monitoring our sales and inventory. This is great for small businesses like us and priced reasonably.

Cons

None that i can think of. Lightspeed has been great for our business.

Better in inventory management, control and audit for Lightspeed

Better in inventory management, control and audit for Lightspeed

Olivier

Industry: Restaurants

May 2022

Déplorable

Facile mais suivi produit et assistance nulle, prix prohibitif et à la limite du chantage commercial pour certaines de leur pratique, à fuir de toutes urgences, pour le marché Belge, il existe des alternatives intéressantes.

Pros

Facile d’utilisation et rapide, c’est tout mzis il existe mieux sur le marché.

Cons

JE VOUS PRÉSENTE UN MESSAGE RESTER LETTRE MORTE POUR L’INTÉRESSÉ, PAS DE COURAGE POUR RÉPONDRE SI CE N’EST PAR COLLÈGUE INTERPOSÉ, FUYEZ PLUS QUE TOUT CETTE BOÎTE QUI N’HÉSITERA PAS UN INSTANT À AUGMENTER CES PRIX UNILATÉRALEMENT SANS JUSTIFICATION ET AVEC UN SERVIÇE D’ASSISTANCE DÉPLORABLE. AU PASSAGE, IL EXISTE DES SOLUTIONS AVEC LE MÊME SERVICE À MOITIÉ PRIX, N’HÉSITEZ PAS À ME CONTACTER POUR DE PLUS AMPLES INFORMATIONS. Bonjour Mr Kerkhove, Primo une semaine après plusieurs sollicitations de ma part en vocale et par courriel pour répondre à une question basique, vous vous appelez Lightspeed ! Votre chantage sur les augmentations de prix de vos abonnements est scandaleux et totalement injustifié. Vos tarifs sur votre terminal de payement sont déments aux vues des conditions du marché des payements par carte. Je n'espère pas de réponse de votre part avant 5 ou 6 jours ouvrable si du moins vous pouvez m'opposer un argumentaire valable. N’oubliez pas que les paroles s’envolent et que les écrits restent ! Dois-je confirmer mon désir de résilier par un autre moyen que cet échange de courrier ? C’est bien noté et la facture sera acquitté comme il se doit. Compter sur moi pour vous faire une publicité d’enfer autour de moi afin de vous faire perdre un maximum de clients. Je m'y attèlerai dès demain en allant voir vos partenaires de la place Fernand Cocq, votre concurrence a gagné un représentant commercial gratuit.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Olivier, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your recent experience with Lightspeed. It is our utmost priority to provide a product and service that allows our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease. Someone will be reaching out to you once more to discuss your request further and next steps. Thank you, Lightspeed Commerce

Replied June 2022

Mason

April 2022

If you want seamless eCom and Retail DO NOT USE LIGHTSPEED

I would not recommend anyone, in any situation, use these features or services provided by Lightspeed. They are money hungry and nothing else.

Pros

I liked the sales pitch. He promised a ton of stuff that I wanted to hear. Unfortunately none of that stuff ever panned out. Just like a politician.

Cons

Here is a list of my complaints about Lightspeed Omnichannel (eCom + Retail PoS) - No E-mail Automation what-so-ever, you'll pay $10/month just for Abandoned Cart Recovery E-mails - Are you a franchise with individually owned locations? No support for that. - You can only add one merchant gateway on your entire account, but you can have up to 100 locations. But if each locations needs a separate bank account, NOPE. - Loyalty and Customer Data does not sync between multiple lightspeed accounts to help remedy the above. - Online documentation is wrong about 80% of the time. - Importing products, customer data, etc is chaotic at best. - The eCommerce features are not in sync with the PoS side. - Loyalty program doesn't just have a "For every 100 points get $1 off" option, you have to set very static discounts for loyalty - Customer service takes weeks to respond if you have any issue outside of what Support can handle - Tech Support will respond with "Lightspeed doesn't currently offer a feature like that, you can custom develop your own though using our API." - Every action you need done, will require another department to speak to, which they'll get back to you weeks later.

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

The sales person promised things that in reality were never going to happen.

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

Shopify no longer supports cannabis companies.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Mason, We would like to apologize for your recent experience with Lightspeed. We see that you are currently working with a member of our Customer Success Team who are best suited to get you the assistance you need. We value our customers feedback, and would be grateful to have the opportunity to address your needs and concerns. Thank you, Lightspeed Commerce

Replied May 2022

Alfredo

October 2022

Just Not Worth It

The worst customer service. It's like they have no responsibility for when something isn't working as it's intended or as promised. We have the next tier up of customer service who still take over a day to respond to an emergent situation and the issue will end up having no resolution. Support will inform me that a function that should work, simply doesn't, and I have to use another roundabout method to get something done.

Pros

The ease of use for simple transactions is nice.

Cons

There are so many simple functions missing. It's a convoluted process for something like work orders. There is no real employee sales tracking.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Alfredo, We would like to sincerely apologize for your recent experience, and we are sorry to hear you were less than satisfied with the services received. We value our customers feedback, and would be grateful to have the opportunity to address your needs and concerns. As we are unable to identify your account within our records, please feel free to contact our Customer Success team should you wish to provide further feedback. You may reach us Toll-Free at: 1-844-365-2868 Thank you, Lightspeed Commerce

Replied October 2022

Ryan

August 2022

They over promise and under deliver

Couldn’t get off the ground after 1 year of getting tossed around the company to make sure we had everything set up properly. The onboarding process is painful and they take no accountability for their own issues. Spent $3k and tons of time and just cancelled it was so bad. Started billing me before we received are POS equipment. All they said is it was part of the contract. Salesman told me we could integrate old gift cards and they would help walk us through the transition. No help at all and ended up telling me they don’t do that. Tried to cancel as they didn’t hold up their end of the deal. Said we had to be through the account manager who wouldn’t get back to us. Come to find out he was let go. This is after 6 months of trying to get a hold of him as that was the only way to cancel. To find out that account manager was let go from the company and they didn’t bother to assign us a new one. The company organization is flat out horrible. Customer success is horrible and not good at communicating. I would look to somewhere else.

Pros

The features is most everything you need. The support is the problem.

Cons

The support is horrible. They think they know and understand issues better then the customers. They don’t listen and will treat you like you don’t even matter.

Shopify

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

Looked like the total package. I was wrong. They lacked the customer support touch. I don’t know how this company will continue to grow.

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

Wanted a coudbased option to help manage remotely.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Ryan, We would like to sincerely apologize for your recent experience with Lightspeed. It is our utmost priority to provide products and services that allow our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease. We value all feedback and would like to learn more about your specific experience, to have the opportunity to address your needs and concerns. As we are unable to identify your account within our records, please feel free to contact our Customer Success team should you wish to provide further feedback. You may reach us via email at engage@lightspeedhq.com. Thank you, Lightspeed Commerce

Replied August 2022

Shad

December 2021

Read This Before Switching to Lightspeed

I have used Lightspeed for almost a year and it is not good. I read these reviews before we switched from another POS system and I was so confident I was going to love it, I switched both of my stores. Lightspeed has a great sales team, they tell you with confidence how great the system is and the demo works in the limited amount you can use it. All the features sound so easy and perfect and the integration with accounting was just what I was looking for! If you are a fan of duplicate and complicated processes that fail regularly, you have found the system you are looking for. Lightspeed payments is a mess, it has crashed multiple times since our switch in June, 2021. We started out with iPads and the bluetooth chip/tap reader and receipt printer disconnect constantly. We have had to manually enter credit cards for up to 2 weeks at a time because the readers wouldn't connect. Duplicate credit card charges on single purchases are common (up to 5 charges! Yeah I get to pay fees on all of them too.) because the computer or iPad says payment failed and the customer swipes or taps the card again. We have 2 registers at each store and they randomly switch from register 1 to register 2, which makes EOD a mess! We have spent hours on hold with support and get the same answers each time, "they are working on it". Many of the features are for older versions that really don't do much but clutter the system. I am sure in 2005, this was a great system but now the UI is not int

Pros

Reporting is better than my previous POS and integration with Quickbooks. works most of the time.

Cons

Everything but reporting. This system is not user friendly, there is no consistency and it is difficult to get a workflow down because the pages are not similar. Searches are difficult ant there is much duplication in efforts! To enter a P/O and create items for e-com, you have to open as many as 5 browser tabs! All for something that Shopify can do in 1.

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

It looked like the best option, I liked the e-commerce integration, reporting, loyalty program and had other merchants recommend it. They have since changed their opinion also.

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

Shopify had bad reporting and had to use a 3rd party app to connect to Quicbooks. Also didn't transfer COGS because their API doesn't allow that for 3rd party apps.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Shad, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your recent experience with Lightspeed. It is our utmost priority to provide a product and service that allows our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease. Someone will be reaching out to you once more to discuss your request further and next steps. Thank you for your understanding. Thank you, Lightspeed Commerce

Replied December 2021

Marina

Industry: Building Materials

December 2021

Not Able to Customize Anything

We are a small retail store with three locations that does mostly local sales and some online sales. We manufacture some of our own products as well as re-sell other products. We also do a lot of large custom orders. We explained in detail to our sales person what kind of business we were and what our needs were for the system, including the type of work orders/invoices we needed to be able to format for our employees and customers. We were promised that all the forms and reports were totally customizable and it would be no problem. This is not the case at all! The work order forms and invoices can barely be customized and the only way you can customize it is if you know script or how to write in code. We've called customer support and they have offered no help on how we can customize it to fit our needs or even offer some outside resources that we would be glad to pay for. All we've gotten is "sorry, we can't help. if you want to request for this feature in the future, they may or may not add it." We were fully expecting and promised to be able to format our work orders and reports from the start, but now we can't every run our business out of this system. Total waste of money!

Pros

- The retail POS side works fine - e-Commerce side works fine

Cons

- Very complicated to customize any forms or reports for your business or not able to customize at all - Lack of customer support - Sales person overpromised on what system was capable of regarding our small business needs that were explained beforehand

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

We were promised by salesperson that the system could meet our retail store/ecommerce needs and our needs as a service/manufacturing company.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Marina, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your recent experience with Lightspeed. It is our utmost priority to provide a product and service that allows our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease. Someone will be reaching out to you once more to discuss your request further and next steps. Thank you for your understanding. Thank you, Lightspeed Commerce

Replied December 2021

Josh

The Absolute Worst

We’ve been in business for 5 years now (and been in the small business world for another 15). Our experience with Lightspeed is single handedly the worst experience we have ever had with any vendor, rep, or supplier. And it’s not even close. I honestly don’t even know where to start. From the over promising and under delivering on the actual integration and battling back and forth for over a month on trying to get the setup right to deciding to break our contract based on all their broken promises and waiting over a month to have someone call and talk to me about what my cancel/return options were on our existing contract. I/we are the most mellow and chill people and company on the face of the planet and I have shaked with anger 3-4 times over this whole process. As I’m writing this I’m having the sales rep (who has promised me for 27 days that a manager would call to discuss my frustrations and give me options for officially canceling our contract) is emailing me and telling me to wait 1 more day. Which he has now said 5 days in a row. I just need to talk to someone besides him, a manager, a tier higher, anybody. I’m not even expecting to get a working resolution with who I talk to. I just can’t even start with the baseline of talking to someone other than my sales rep and at day 27, I’m tired of waiting. Thus this review.

Pros

Nothing In theory, the reporting In theory, the inventory management

Cons

Over promised Under delivered Zero communication

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

So after months of that, we request to cancel our contract. That’s hard enough knowing the hundreds of hours and contract labor we lost out on. In addition to whatever fees I’m still going to be on the hook for with Lightspeed. But it’s insane that it’s been 27 days and I still can’t get anyone to call me back. Just emails from our “sales” guy saying 1 more day, 1 more day, 1 more day. Horrible company. I’d say it was a scam if there weren’t at least some positive reviews out there. This is the first negative review I’ve left in a decade as if I have a problem with a restaurant or business, I always call and ask to talk to a manager or owner and explain whatever the pressure point was. Which I rarely do. If I have a bad experience in either of those places, I just chalk it up to someone having a bad day and try to give them a bit of grace and patience as I’m a small business owner and understand how hard it is to hit customer’s expectations. But this is beyond the norm. And I’ve reached out multiple times to Lightspeed to give them the opportunity to hear our pressure points and make things right. I can’t even get that most basic of requests. Do not use.

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

This decision has cost my small business over $10,000. Which we don’t have under the best of times, let alone during COVID. But we made the decision to switch from our existing system to Lightspeed in an effort to better adapt to a changing retail world due to the crazy year that was 2020. We spent months and hours upon hours on phone calls, video chats, and conference calls making sure we had a clear understanding of the transition and integration process. Their sales team are basically con men. Promising that there will no hiccups and if there are, their team will be standing by with white gloves to help set things right. Hahaha. The sales team doesn’t know what the service team is doing and vice versa. We clearly asked multiple questions about how to connect the system to our existing website and migrating 5,000+ SKUs into their system and the sales person told us no problems that they do it 20 times a day. We weren’t even migrating from some obscure system. Square (for our brick and mortar) and WooCommerce (for online). It took thousands of dollars in additional plugins, services, and contract labor to help me get in the ballpark of figuring it out but at the end of the day, it still didn’t work the way it was originally promised by the sales team. Which we have in written emails and confirmed in multiple calls. Even better, calling and trying to talk to someone else beyond our sales team just ends in the same frustration.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Josh, Thank you for your feedback. It is our utmost priority to provide a product and service that allows our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease. We are sorry to hear you were less than satisfied. We see that our Customer Success team have already reached out, they will continue working with you to address your concerns. Thank you, Lightspeed POS

Replied March 2021

Derrick

Industry: Restaurants

Not for restaurants

We had purchased the system for 3 of our establishments, and only installed it in 1 of them as a trial. Because of how bad it was, we decided to cancel our service. Even though we had not installed the other 2 locations and had used the product for 3 month in the one installed, they are forcing us to abide by our 3 year contract and pay the full amounts. Even with having to cover that cost, which is completely unreasonable because 2 of the services were not installed, it is still much better and efficient for us to switch to another more functional service such as Cluster or Maitre-D. I would not recommend this to anyone who has a restaurant.

Pros

Looks nice if you spend the time to set it up

Cons

Lightspeed has been a horror for us since the start. What we were presented at during the sales meeting made us very excited and happy, but the second the contract was signed, for our 3 locations everything went down hill. I had to pull teeth and send multiple messages and to get our installation done on time. And even at that they finished doing it opening day, and were debugging while we had to serve clients. And that is a whole other story. The product itself looks good but really does not work for a restaurant. Little things like having a single client pay without closing the full table is not possible. Servers need to figure out all these ways/trick to speed up service without being slowed down by Lightspeed. Items cannot be sent to multiple locations at ones (if something come from both the kitchen and bar like a Caeser with bacon) The reports are terrible. Items are split up in ways were the they are split if clients have payed 1/2 or 1/3 of the amount. So items like Natchos that are group type items, to no how many have been sold you need to add the full one, the 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, .... amounts. So extracting any information takes a long time. Many of the reports have numerical errors in them, and as such they cannot be trusted. Also, tyring to export hourly sales or receipts all have wrong times on them (our restaurant closes at 1am, yet it still show receipts until 5am) It is not possible to use the inventory option in bar because they can only have units, it

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Derrick, We apologize that you are disappointed with your Lightspeed Restaurant experience. We see that have been speaking with a senior member of our Customer Success team who is working with you to addressing your concerns. We would be happy to continue to work with you in resolving the matter, and coming to an amicable solution.

Replied May 2019

Gus

October 2022

Best POS in The Business

Great Investment !

Pros

Simplicity and very user friendly! Best product for 1 store or mulit store operation!

Cons

No Comment. Its the best! I would recommend to anyone in Retail business!

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

Better product, cloud based, mulit store! Customer Service is next level

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

Customer Service Cloud based! Works better for mulit store opertation!

May 2022

Easy Switch to Lightspeed Retail

Overall it has been an easy switch and easy to use software.

Pros

The fully integrated credit card payments has been wonderful, not having to use two separate systems to complete the sale has been great. Also the integrated inventory between retail and ecom has been great. Sell it in one place and inventory get adjusted across all platforms. Also the ability to use multiple registers at once and complete payments at the same time has been a life saver.

Cons

The additional cost for some of the features in the ecom, such as different layouts for the website that would incorporate things such as reviews on other websites. The limited analytical information you have at your disposal without having to pay for lightspeed analytics.

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

Features that were part of the standard cost. No crazy one time fees to import inventory, customers, and vendors. Built in website designer and integrated inventory and payments.

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

Lack of options, no website integration. Multiple registers and credit card terminals.

Kaleigh

Worth every cent!

I am beyond ecstatic to be able to track my inventory in real time, manage payroll hours with ease, add items and price them almost instantly, and so much more! This is a major upgrade for my small business!

Pros

I love the inventory tracking from anywhere, the ease of entering and pricing my inventory, and the setup process and new POS - basically I love EVERYTHING!

Cons

I have been using this system for a few months and have yet to come across anything negative.

Reasons for choosing Lightspeed Retail

Best bang for the buck - it had everything I needed for inventory tracking/managment, employee clocking, analytics, and remote viewing in one stop.

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

I went from my business running like it was in the 90s to something modern and generally time-saving.

Donna

August 2022

Best Supported POS System

Doing business on line as well as in the store, we needed to keep track of inventory as it sold at both locations, this does it the best. It also works well with our financial software.

Pros

The support from Lightspeed is unsurpassed, and we've been in this industry since the early 80's.

Cons

The reports aren't as easy to customize as I'd like to see, and you can't "drill down" on the reports to see the detail that supports the numbers presented.

Best option

Reasons for switching to Lightspeed Retail

To better track inventory over both sales platforms that we use (online & in-store)

Chad