• Pros

• "Great Program. Easy to use. Have no complaints. I have been using it for a while and have not considered other programs. "

• "Very Easy to use and love that I can export to excel. Reports are usually easy to use. I like that open invoices are lined up and clumped together"

• "I liked the reports that were set up in the system. I was able to track my business easily with little effort. It was quite easy to learn to operate. "

• Cons

• "It can be a little tough to get information out in the form I want. Overall the reporting is great but I sometimes like to look at details that are cumbersome to get to."

• "We like the software very much, although, what we liked least is the customer support. I had to wait over +10 minutes to just get a hold of somebody, & it happens every time. "

• "Basic understanding of Finance software helpful. No built-in project feature to allow for tracking. "

Browse Quickbooks Point of Sale Reviews

Christopher from Pace products inc

My swiss army knife

Its my go to book keeping tool I have used it I "Trust" it and would highly recommend it to any business no matter the industry or size .

Pros

Easy to understand so its easy to train new users I have used this software in my construction business and a store manager it easily helps me manage multiple pos devices both in store and in the field making tax forms and reports quick and easy to create .

Cons

There is a learning curve for some uses of the software

Response from Intuit

Replied January 2019

We're proud to be backing Pace Products inc, Christopher. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely review with us, as it's wonderful to hear that you find the program so easy to use. I want to ensure you have all of the resources you need to help those you train get past the learning curve that is usually associated with a new program. For this reason, I encourage you to check out the QuickBooks Community website. It's a resource hub filled with a wealth of self-help knowledge articles that cover a wide range of QuickBooks-related topics. The following link will take you there: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us Additionally, here's another link that will take you to a list of video tutorials that also cover many of the various features QuickBooks has to offer: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVxBmyedTVhTRQRYeZJfVBpz_12zwHc6Z Thank you again for reviewing our software, Christopher! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

James from The Gun Dealer

Best and Easiest POS

We use QuickBooks point-of-sale at work every day. It holds our inventory of over 2 million items. It’s rugged, and never let you down. Finding mistakes that your employees made is super easy, and easy to rectify. Whether you are computer savvy, or just using a computer for the first time, You’ll be able to use QuickBooks point-of-sale you’ll be able to use QuickBooks point-of-sale

Pros

I love how this point of sale is fully customizable to the customers needs. It offers everything you could want in a point of sale system. From sale orders to layaways, with QuickBooks point-of-sale you’ll be ready to sell within hours of super simple setup.

Cons

QuickBooks point-of-sale was quite costly to purchase all at once. But you only have to pay once.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Point of Sale

Shopify does not support gun stores

Sonja from Retail

Difficult Program

Too difficult and creates such unproductivity in the staff when trying to correct sales, inventory, receiving, etc.

Pros

Not much. We use QB POS 18.0 and it's really not user friendly for anyone in our company. We went through a sales tax audit and the sales tax auditors refused to deal with POS reports because of it's difficulties.

Cons

See above. So much to write. The POS should when integrating with QB Enterprise have the correct sales receipts and journal reference numbers populating correctly but does not. Talking with POS IT people was futile in getting most of the issues resolved. We are looking at getting out of this software and into something else.

I didn't choose it.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Point of Sale

Because their latest platform changes were going to require too heavy an investment cost in equipment back in 2016.

Paige from Holter Museum of Art

Industry: Fine Art

An okay system for PC but no compatibility with mobile technology and prone to dumping data

I used Quick-books for about a year and while it was an easy system to use on the PC, I found my business needs were better met by moving to a POS system that was mobile friendly. Quick-books has a very easy to use the system--items are tracked with a generated barcode and the system lists when the item was brought in when it was purchased last, and by whom it was purchased. I appreciated the compatibility of the technology to be able to automatically print barcodes for our use as opposed to other Mac POS systems, and overall the system was just fine until one day, two days after the largest sale of the year for our company, I went to ring up an item and I found Quick-books had experienced a major glitch and had deleted all the inventory I had added, sold, or updated within the last two weeks. I was devastated. I had input over 2,000 new pieces (individual, one-of-a-kind pieces of art) into Quick-books for our annual holiday sale and then when I tried to secure records for the pieces sold, bought, or input, suddenly the barcodes did not work, there was no record of me having ever entered in all the new works, and I had no sales records for over 100 artists. Luckily my accountant and I, the Store Manager, had already paid out everything that was sold from the large event, but I spent hours inputting the data back in for the remaining pieces. I was confounded and furious and customer service had no answers as to why this had happened. I immediately began researching POS systems that were mobile friendly and that stored my data and records on the Cloud or other web means so that I would never again have to experience lost data. My decision to move from Quick-books was justified when, just a few weeks later, I went to another local business to buy running shoes and the saleswoman apologized for the slow checkout process, noting that overnight her entire inventory had been wiped clean from her POS. I asked what POS she used, and sure enough, Quick-books had done it to again, left someone in the lurch from unexplained dumped data. For the price and poor customer service and unreliability, I never regretted moving from Quick-Books Point of Sale to another POS system. I now use Shopkeep and I am very happy with it.

Pros

Very easy to use. It generates bar codes to corresponding with individual or grouped items and then displays the price, merchandiser, and all vital information in the same place for me to find. I liked to be able to track when, where, and by whom an item was brought in and then sold.

Cons

Quick-Books was prone to glitches and to dumping, data on inventory entered. I lost over 2,000 records on new merchandise brought in for our annual holiday sale. Overnight there was no record I had ever entered, sold, or updated anything over a two-week period, the most pivotal two-week period of our year. Luckily my accountant and I had already paid the artists for their sold works, but it took hours for me to put the inventory back in and update the records. My sales records for those two weeks were also unaccounted for, and suddenly my sales were down by thousands compared with the last year. I was purchasing running shoes from another local business down the street a few weeks later and the saleswoman was having a field day trying to sell anything as overnight, same as what happened to me, Quick-books had dumped all her inventory and it had to be entered in again.

Lisa from Soccer Madness

bugs in the system

I am so disappointed. I have logged 50 hours on the phone with customer service since August 2020. The engineers obviously released the new updated system too soon and my business suffers because of it. I also found that the pin pad freezes and then reverses your sale even though you think it went thru. awful!!

Pros

I love that it is easy to use and has good reporting ability. Links well with QB Bookkeeping

Cons

I was told to upgrade from QB 12.0 to 19.0.. I have had nothing but problems. The first day we set it up there was an error and there continues to be same error message even though i have spent numerous hours on phone with customer service. I am on my 3rd pin pad and had the system uninstalled and re-installed twice. They want to do it again but I refused as they just keep trying different things instead of really figuring out what the problem is. Today I tried to process a $400 sale on applepay and was told that they have an issue with this type of payment (even though this new pin pad was supposed to take Apple pay) They never let you know of issues. You just have to experience them and then call in.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Point of Sale

They went out of business and I thought since we use QB financial (which is great) that it would be good to have them match.

Weldon from Eric's Outdoor Furniture

D cent POS software for the money but definitely could be better.

It runs my business

Pros

Seamless integration with Quickbooks and fairly simple setup as well as fairly inexpensive software are the best features.

Cons

Poor search features in make a sale and goofy differences between make a sale and sales order screens make it obvious that this is somewhat of an afterthought for QuickBooks.

Response from Intuit

Replied July 2018

Happy Tuesday, Weldon. We love hearing about how we can improve the product, and interface suggestions are always very much appreciated. I'd be glad to pass your feedback along to the engineers directly, as they frequently review customer feedback when developing new features/enhancements. When you get a bit of downtime, please send your ideas to me in an email (QBCares@Intuit.com). I'll forward them on your behalf, and will keep a lookout for your message. In the meantime, I encourage you to explore the Point of Sale Resource Center at https://quickbooks.intuit.com/point-of-sale/customer-resource-center/. There you'll find expert advice, articles, and workflow tips on the small business fundamentals, with a focus on the Point of Sale product. Until we chat again, wishing you all the best! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

QB Point of Sale Review

DIdn't require to be online as some other versions of a POS system do require. This is a nice feature as it is a pay one time not monthly.

Pros

Easy to adapt has two different screen settings that make it easy depending on your type of retail business that allows it easy to understand. If you are not a computer expert you can still feel smart using the POS software.

Cons

Price and if you do need to call for help, since it is a QB product support time is usually longer than you want. The support call time can be a problem if you have an issue with the POS system during normal operational hours.

Tanya from Big Blue

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Best for retail not service

For retail I find its great. its easy to use to enter the items we need and get through the sale

Pros

For the retail side of the business its great for tracking inventory and sales. Ease of set was great.

Cons

We provide a lot of services and don't want to have to run information through two systems. For services this is not great. The reports don't give the right information and the information doesn't transfer to Quickbooks accounting software to provide the information as well. We can't add classes and are struggling with running invoices. This could also be in part of lack of understanding how the systems work.

Horacio from Myron Manufacturing

Great POS system for small business

Pros

I bought the simple version of Quickbooks POS and it had great features for an entry business. No limits on inventory list and great tool for customer loyalty rewarding. For being a simple version, this brings a lot of handy tools to track inventory and awesome sales report.

Cons

Very laggy when filled inventory list with 1000+ items. Also, the online feature needed to be on the expensive version, so it didn't offer it like other POS systems do without upgrading.

Michael from Citizens Bank

Point of Sale Made Easier

Pros

Quickbooks Point of Sale is simple and easy to use. Nothing is far out of reach. Sales are a breeze and pulling reports is very easy with the improved user interface. The cloud-centric features are very nice too, offering seamless integration across devices and platforms. There is a POS for every industry in the retail arena.

Cons

It's kind of cumbersome to setup initially. I'd recommend having that part handled by an expert. Apart form that, I can't say anything else bad about it.

Arthur from EQQUICKBOOKS

POS enabled us to add a retail location to our distribution business, minimal time spent configuring

The intergration with QB Financials

Pros

Ease of setup and intetgration into our QB Enterprise software. We got system setup in under an hour and was connected to QB Finance and ringing up customers with a hour and a half.

Cons

How inventory goes into QB Financial but we developed a work around. Inventory needs to be able to use QB Finance as the main record for inventory

Brian from Extreme Velocity, Inc.

Great tool for business, has some irritating features.

Pros

This software can handle TONS of inventory. We have used the software for over 12 years, and now have over 15000 unique items. Each one is able to track purchasing history, selling history, even details down to the name of the customer who bought this item in march of 2005, what he paid, and what else he bought on the same ticket! We use it a lot for warranty issues, as we're able to see if someone truly bought an item from us, or if they bought it online, and are just trying to get us to fix it for free. Super useful!

Cons

Once you start, you cant stop... Well, that's probably true of any POS system. You end up with too much data to lose, so I couldn't change now even if I wanted to, not that I do. The real problem with being stuck is that you have to pay up for it. Every year, they stop supporting the version from 3 years back. I.e., in 2018 they stop supporting the 2015 version, in '19 they will stop suporting '16, etc. So, you're just fine until windows does some auto-update in the middle of the night. You come in to find out you can't run your business. So, you call support. Support tells you that your version is no longer supported, and it'll be cost per register to upgrade to the current version. Then you're good for another 2 years. We've done this for over 12 years. It's the same song and dance every time. Now I know, and I can budget for it. All in all, it's worth every penny. I've yet to find anything else that can handle such a large selection of inventory, with so much adaptability, for the price. Just know that the price is hardly a 1-and-done thing.

Ray from Shoe Shi Boutique

QuickBooks POS - not good for Retail, but anything else maybe

I generally liked the QB POS software and what it did for us, ... but we grew out of this. Ideally this would be great for a small business that had fixed assets that didn't change and if the SBO didn't want to pour out too much money for a POS.

Pros

1) They release a new product upgrade every other year so there is no need to update your computer software every year. The upgrades are not necessary, but upgrades to provide more features. 2) Everything is backed up to a single database file on the computer; so in the event of a computer crash as long as you're backing up the QBPOS db, you can re-install the software, re-point the db file and get going again. 3) It's easy to use and navigate. 4) Does not require internet connection if the internet goes down 5) Great reports 6) A great company, with solid reputation, with a good name brand product

Cons

1) Customer support is great, but you have to pay for it. I learned to reach out to 3rd party companies for Support. that seemed more eager and 2) Does not integrate with an online store presence. For our online store each time someone purchased something online we had to update our instore inventory; and vica-versa. 3) The software upgrade is a little pricey for 1 upgrade. I remember it was affordable for an upgrade for me; and we only had 1 POS computer & 1 seat. If we had 2 computers it would have been more expensive. 4) Constantly trying to add new inventory and remove old inventory was kind of a hassle. If your business had fixed assets then ideally this would be a good solution. 5) If your computer crashed or you need to get a new computer, you would have to setup the new computer and reinstall the software on the new computer along with the help of QB POS Tech Support. While this in itself wasn't bad it was trying to schedule a time that they were open and the store wasn't open so I could fix this.

Kevin from SWA

Gotta Love It

QB Pos has really helped give us control over our retail operations. Couldn't live without now.

Pros

This software is full-featured and really does a great job of keeping track of everything going on in your store. From inventory to sales, the information is there and easy to access.

Cons

Response from Intuit

Replied October 2019

Hi, Kevin. Knowing how helpful the product has been to keep up with your data makes our day. You can continue to count on us to have your back for years to come! To learn more about customizing reports, we recommend checking out this Community article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/run-reports/customize-your-financial-reports/00/186382 Cheering you to continued success. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

jawed from Al hadi hosiery

Industry: Wholesale

For Small & Medium size organisation, its my best experience to opt Quickbooks POS .

Pros

Power full integration in all aspect like if you want to search in any info you have, name of product, UPC, Alternate lookup, serial number, department name, item description, attribute, vender name, mean all possible link are integrated for better search. Add product, customer, vender, department, are very easy as 123. i.e., if you are adding any new product in this process you can add vender, department, in a single click like just put the name of your required field. You can add/ modify inventory, vender, department, UPC, and other all information through a single excel sheet. User friendly add all hardwear tool like barcode scanner, printers, cash draw, touch monitor, tag label printer, through an inbuilt workstation. The reports area is also well organized, which type of report you wants in any way like product, department, vender, customer, best or worst, vise etc is no more problem in quickbook pos.

Cons

price is little bit higher than others. in my opinion and my experience there is no any other problem in quickbook pos.

John from T and D Resoerts Inc.

Lovin it

I used to do my inventory every Sunday evening. It would take me 5 to 7 hours a week. Now its done in minutes with QBPOS. We use Individual Point of Sale out of PA to purchase, and maintain our POS systems.

Pros

This software has given me abilities that other camping resorts envy. Every time I tell other campground owners how QB POS can trend, suggest orders, track inventory, and that it has endless reports that integrates right into Quick books, they are floored.

Cons

We really dont have any dislikes with the software. It performs well and runs reliably. We are on our second generation of hardware, and the software is stable and fast.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Point of Sale

Integration to quickbooks was the biggest reason.

Sandra from Eve New York LLC

Quickbooks POS has been helpful for organizing my small business

Pros

This product has allowed me to be more organized with my small business. I am able to keep track of my customers and the orders that they place. Also, my inventory is neatly organized and allows me to see exactly what items I have in stock and what items I need to order. I particularly like the "quick find" search option which I can use to quickly search for a specific item/client/or receipt. This option also searches through item descriptions which allows me to find exactly what I'm looking for with a few keywords. By far though, I really like how well and organized my previous sales are presented to me. I am able to see how my business is doing through various methods such as a pie chart or a graph, and using my own parameters to analyze my sales.

Cons

It does take a bit of a learning curve to fully grasp all that this POS system has to offer. It does have a tutorial and video guide to walk you step by step through all the features but you need to dedicate quite a bit of time just to learn everything. There are a lot options and a lot of ways to do each part of the POS system such as "make a sale", so it can take a while to figure out which method works best for you. Once you have learned everything, it takes a bit of practice in order to be able to do a function quickly enough to not keep clients waiting.

Shelby from Keweenaw Adventure Company

I feel like less competent than a monkey in a space rocket with this tool - NEED TRAINING!!

Pros

It seems that the ability to really do ANYthing with the software is there, yet without the proper time and training one can use it only to about 10% of its potential. That said, the 10% is better than the old cash register and this has been a very useful tool for getting our business's inventory managed and sales organized.

Cons

This is an incredibly complex system that ought to come along with intensive (and free of cost) training. This is not an intuitive software and there are just so many ins and outs and ups and downs that I learn something new everytime I poke around a bit and think: "shoot, I wish I would have known about that three years ago when I got this thing!!!"

Brian from LI Country Life

More Bugs than the local woods.

POS = Peace Of... Sales Killer. Customer service very poor. A lot of "We will get back to you". Bug fixes come too little too late.

Pros

Reporting had tons of data. Not just sales totals. You have popular times. Stock value, amount sold, cost of goods, profits. How well each vendor is doing. Top selling Vendors, Items, Departments. Number and graphs. Design and save a report and pull it up again. Set when to date the report. Like you want for info for the last day, last 6 days, maybe 50 days. You can complete control your reports. The register scanned items in quickly. Showed details like amount on hand. Short Description. Clearly see sale % if item is on sale. A bit hard but you can set up % off. Buy one get one % off.

Cons

CRASHING! Random stop working. Forcing you to close the app or turn off your whole system to reset. Too many buttons for the average cashier to work with. No tracking gift certificates though you CAN put in ID numbers you could tell the register the gift certificate is $100 even if it was only $10 and it would completely accept it. AND THEY RETURNED $85 AND VOIDED A SALE. So we rung up $85 in a sale. Run a credit card. Card Approved. Customer gets happy done beeping and register says $0.00. Click Salve & Print and BAM! System crasher right there. Now the sale is done. Customer walks away and we are left restarting the system again. We do it 2x a day on the weekends so no big deal. 5 min later the system opens and says last receipt not saved. "Ok so save it" I think to myself. NO! Instead the system would letting me stop it, without asking, without my approval... RETURNS/VOIDS the last sale. "Ok no big deal I will ring it up again or fix it in inventory. No way it sent the return to the credit possessor." I open Credit Processing and THERE IT IS. $85 APPROVED and then 5 min later $85 VOID. So I don't have the money. The customer and item are LONG gone. And WHY DID THEY VOID A CONFIRMED APPROVED CREDIT CARD 5 MINUTES LATER!!! What if it was more money? We have sales up to $200! Just had a record breaking $500 sale that took 15 min bc during it the system started scanning items in wrong! We have been open 6 months. This CAN NOT HAPPEN AT CHRISTMAS! We changed companies.

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Point of Sale

The hardware is universal! Unlike others whos hardware and software are tied together. Also easy of exporting data to QB Accounting Software.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Point of Sale

Could not rely on this system. 1 register and I think I will need 3 total in my store. 3 of these would be a nightmare.

Kimberly from Disc Crazy Outdoor and More

Minimum expectations not met with QuickBooks POS 18.0

Please save yourself some time/money/stress and a boatload of trouble - DO NOT USE QuickBooksPOS - go with Square, or write your own software. QuickBooks POS is a mess.

Pros

I thought it would be easily interfaced with QuickBooks Desktop. I thought it would track inventory and work well with my small business. I thought it would streamline inventory check in and pricing, and sales tax collection. I was wrong.

Cons

Literally rife with software quirks. The tax collection turns itself off at will - and the "help" line tells you it's because your software is "corrupt" - which is amazing since it's brand new, and ONLY they have been in it. It was not the "online" software, so how can it be corrupt? Be aware that the system will NOT be up and running efficiently - ever....so when they start charging you by the minute for help calls - after 60 days - they will leave you on hold for hours. I am not exaggerating - HOURS - our routine was .....1. open the shop 2. turn on POS terminal 3. Call quickbooks and spend 2 hours on line while they fix the problem of the day. Often times, it was the same problem from a week ago....Even on the way out, they screw you. so many issues with this software - built on an ancient Excel platform and they have not invested $$ to update it. And every time Microsoft sends an update, your system will crash. And every so often, it will just stop adding sales tax to stuff. And, when it is in the mood, it will freeze up and say "oops, something went wrong" on your screen. And every so often, you will have to re-boot the whole system. And you will have to check in merchandise on the sales floor because in order to check in inventory on a computer in the back room, you have to shut down the front register - and they HAVE PROGRAMMED IN A 15 MINUTE DELAY - before you can open it in the back room (sometimes it's 30 minutes). Fortunately, during this 15 minutes, they have a lovely pop up which is trying to sell you another license so you can use the software in the back room (which the sales agent told you would work, but it doesn't....). They never stop creating issues with the intention of getting you to buy another license......for software that doesn't work. It is an abject, complete disaster. DO NOT DO IT.....Don't buy their POS. It's barely functional.....Understand that I have a better than average understanding of inventory management and excel. I could not make it work. Their support people want to do reach outs and they mess with your firewall settings, and will NOT own up to the fact that the software is intentionally designed to make things difficult unless you keep paying them for additional licenses and spending time on the phone at their per minute charge. We switched to Square and have ZERO complaints. Our ONLY issues experienced with Square are directly tied back to QuickBooks POS issues - the way they have their info set up made the migration/import/export tough. Once we wiped out QBPro POS 18.0 - our lives are now peaceful. One last thing - Square payments arrive overnight - 99.9% of the time - QuickBooks delayed up to 4 days. They are holding your money. It's clearly another tactic - our bank did not change, but our processor did. Way faster and cleaner with Square POS - all around.

Michael from Greenway Plaza Liquors

Industry: Wine and Spirits

QuickBooks Pro Point of Sale Version 12

I've used QuickBooks Pro in my retail liquor store for about fourteen months. I don't like it, for four main reasons: First, if I'm making a sale and I notice the price of the product or the on-hand quantity is wrong the software won't allow me to make corrections from the "Make a Sale" screen. It will allow me to change the price, but the change will show up on the receipt as a "discount," and the price will remain wrong in the database. To change the price or the on-hand quantity in the database requires exiting from the "Make a Sale" function and then entering the "Item List" function. This is impractical to do when a customer is waiting to pay and get on his way. It is also inconvenient and cumbersome to switch back and forth when we are checking in replacement inventory items during business hours and we have to get out of the “Item List” and go to the “Make a Sale” function. When we had Microsoft Point of Sale we could do both functions from the same screen. Second, QuickBooks Pro will not produce a simple report showing what products were sold and how many were sold during a previous period of time, plus how many remain in inventory. I need to know this information so I can decide what items to replace in inventory. QuickBooks Pro will report all the sales during any chosen period, but obviously the same products are often sold multiple times during a day, so when I'm ordering I have to look at every transaction and consider whether to re-buy the same items multiple times, and then look at another report showing how many were sold during the past months. If you were in a business like mine you’d appreciate the difference between looking at several hundred individual transactions and looking at a single list that summarizes what was sold, how many remain in stock, and how many were sold in the past three months. I think a good POS system should be able to produce a list of what was sold in one column alongside another column showing how many remain in inventory, and a third column showing how many were sold during the previous three months or whatever time period the user would choose as a guide to decide how many of each to re-buy for stock. QuickBooks Pro will not do this. Also, QuickBooks will not let you copy the name of an item in a report, which would make reordering easier. Instead, I have to type the name of what I want when I go to the suppliers’ ordering systems. Third, it won’t handle some barcodes. There are some that’ll work in the “Item List,” but not in the “Make a Sale” function and some vice versa. Some won’t work in either function. We never had this problem with Microsoft Point of Sale. Fourth, and worst, QuickBooks drops transactions and changes the quantities of items in inventory. Every night when I do my tallies I have more money in the till than I should have for a number of sales that day as reported by QuickBooks. I’ve seen no rhyme or reason for this happening—the software just decides on its own to delete a transaction or two every day. It also decides on its own to make changes to the quantities of items in inventory, so I don’t really know how many of an item we have in stock without walking to the shelf and counting them myself. I seldom have time to do this, so I frequently order things we already have plenty of, or we run out of things and don’t notice it until a customer complains or we just see a hole in the shelf where something should go. I’ve tried to imagine a business that would be satisfied with this software. Please don’t recommend it to clients with high product turnover and many transactions to keep up with.

Pros

Poor as it is, it does keep working. It hasn't crashed yet.

Cons

See review

August 2016

Sharni from Nappy Shoppe LLC

2.5

2.5

August 2016

Easy to use, but not easy to upgrade

Pros

Ease of use. It was simple to teach employees how to use the register side of it. It synchronized easily to quickbooks financial once everything was mapped.

Cons

I could not upgrade past windows 7 on the machines that ran this product. It required I have a machine set up as a server. It cost me pretty much the full price of the product to add another register, or back end user. In order to update the product you had to buy it outright again. There was next to no updating of the product. I bought version 10 back in January of 2011 and until I stopped using it in August 2016 there was no updates. I had to buy the product again if I wanted an update. Customer support cost a lot extra per month, they would even charge you for calls when the problem was their fault. Many reports were limited. For instance, fields I would expect to be in a report simply were not there. For instance, the top customer report, had no way to put the email address into it. So what was the point of that report if you could not send them an email promo? It was not stored in the cloud, so I was limited in that the product could only be used in my store. If I wanted remote access I had to use a third party computer access product to see my POS. If you wanted integrated credit card transactions you had to use their merchant services. Their fees were higher than everyone else. I ended up saving thousands a year when I moved to another merchant processor and adding extra steps at the checkout. Once my file got big, it would lag out loading customer/inventory information. I ended up changing POS systems when we got another location and it was just going to cost too much to upgrade the product to cope with multiple locations.

April 2016

Michelle from Boggy Creek Airboat Rides

April 2016

We have used QB POS Multi store for a couple years.

Pros

Ease of ringing up customers. It's very simple to start ringing people up. We didn't have to train our staff more than a couple minutes.

Cons

1. Tech support is horrible. There is a reason this is number one!!!!!! 2. If you have more than one computer at a location there are issues if you don't have a wired internet which brought us down for hours and hours and hours over weeks without anyone diagnosing this to be the issue. Customer service just kept logging in and changing the IP address without explaining what they were doing. I finally got a good tech support person that helped me figure it out and how to fix it on my own. (Do NOT use wireless internet. You MUST use hard wire to computer.) 3. We have inventory items that keep reappearing after deleting them. We then tried to merge them and they still keep reappearing. Tech support couldn't remove them either. This really messes up our reports. 4. We had a day that at the end of the day QB restarted and lost ALL the transactions for the day. We were never able to get the information back and it also took a weeks worth of transactions with it. Tech support never retrieved the information nor could explain what happened. 5. There is only 2 levels of departments. You have a "work around" for this by allowing you to customize a field, but you have to write the department name in each time. If you forget the exact word you used such as "snack" instead of "snacks" it won't run adequate reports. I can't imagine many places that don't need more departments. For example, I have "Tours" and "Merchandise" as my main departments. I want to have "Snacks" "Apparel" and even further under snacks I'd like to have "Cookies" "Chips", etc. 6. Sending and receiving files from Intuit server does not always go through. This would be ok if there were an error message, but there isn't. It just didn't send. The only way to be sure this didn't happen when running a report on headquarters is to check to see if there is information each day. I have more than one location so this is tedious. If I find a day that is missing I have to have the staff manually go in and resend data. 7. I'm sure I have MUCH more, but that was the ones I could think of off the top of my head and QB POS has taken up enough of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I can find a better solution I would before you could blink your eyes. I am constantly looking and shopping around.

POS for our small retail shop

Pros

We have used this product since the beginning and find it easy to use and integrating it into our books makes life simple.

Cons

Sometimes was a challenge to learn, but an overall great product.

Response from Intuit

Replied May 2019

Thanks for the taking the time to review. While I'm confident you're a pro by now, I know just where you can go should you have questions down the road. Since we realize learning any new software can be a challenge, we've created a ton of resources, like our Community (https://intuit.me/2rJQ95o) to help ease the learning curve. This multi-function space is an awesome 24/7 outlet where you can chat with QuickBooks reps or explore hundreds of troubleshooting/how-to tutorials. Check it out anytime, and have a good one! Grant, The QuickBooks Team

Functional not pretty, gets the job done

Overall gets the job done.

Pros

Has customization - we have a quick pick category for most commonly bought items. Has useful features like reports, storing customer info, purchase orders.

Cons

It isn't very user friendly - have to x out of windows to get back to selling. User interface is ugly and in general a bit clunky. Could be user error... but nothing seems to scan once entered.

Response from Intuit

Replied August 2018

Thanks for taking the time out to leave us your honest review. While I'm glad the customization options have lent a lot to the functionality you enjoy, I want to make sure you can easily navigate the software. The Resource Center is a awesome outlet in that aspect, and there's one made for POS at https://quickbooks.intuit.com/point-of-sale/customer-resource-center/. You'll find a ton of tutorial and guided videos there, as well as advice on the small business and retail fundamentals. The info above will help streamline your workflow, but I want to make your voice is heard when it comes to your suggestions about the interface. We love hearing how we can improve, as the engineers default to customer ideas when drumming up new features. Could you send me your feedback in an email (QBCares@Intuit.com)? I can forward your comments to the Development Team. This way, I can also take a look at the issue you've had with scanning and provide a fix one-on-one. Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Tonya from Must Love Dogs

Quickbooks Support is Awful. Pick something else even if upfront cost is higher ( Used for 15 years

We've used Quickbooks POS and Desktop for 15 years. We just recently decided to integrate credit card processing. Our "sales rep" flat out lied about the features. Once he received our payment, he would not return calls or emails. Swell! We've upgraded to the new version 19. This process has been simply AWFUL. I have no less that 15 "case numbers". Even had our files sent to a technician. No resolution! My Staff had figured some work arounds to make the lock ups and disruptions to business less frequent. With each call I make to support I will be "disconnected" at least 2-3 times and have to start the process all over. This includes attempts to call and use the "online support" which is worse. After maybe an hour of ineffective support (I am being kind here), I will be referred to Level 2. They are always too busy at the time to assist, and "will call back". The call back DOES NOT HAPPEN. I will have to call back everyday for a week and complain before Level 2 will call. I have had Level 2 "call back appointments" promise after promise of call backs. NEVER HAPPENS These issues take away from my ability to manage my business effectively. I belong to several business groups online. I continue to say pick another POS Quickbooks is awful...just awful. Oh and the chickens and roosters in the background when talking to support...what in the world??? I've decided to give some online reviews as well so folks that want to focus on their business make a different choice even if

Pros

Quickbooks offers one stop shopping that initially appealed to me. We use Point of Sate along with integrating into the Desktop for accounting.

Cons

Support is worse than non existent. Integration is limited. Features promised are proprietary and more limited that promised.

Sylvia from Leet Vaping LLC dba Leet Vape

QB POS great pos, horrid support, pricing that keeps wanting more

Pros

many of the reports and report functions are great, easy to use, sensible setup. easy to use on the register as well as from the back end.

Cons

customer support is terrible if you finally get someone, many times they made changes that ended up affecting the operations in a negative way. When, support was elevated to a higher level, many times you would never hear back from anyone. You don't just buy your license and that's it, they come out with upgrades etc. and many require you buying the newer licenses to be able to continue to function. Price is prohibitive, having to buy new licenses every 14-18 months.

Jeanne from La Porte County Sheriff's Office

Industry: Law Enforcement

Best in combination with Quickbooks accounting software

Overall, this is a decent POS software. I like that it talks to QuickBooks accounting software and manages inventory. Invest in a bar code scanner and receipt printer. Plug and play - easy to get them to work with the POS software. A good software for medium skill level users if you want more depth than a standard POS like Square.

Pros

Quickbooks POS is a good software to use in combination with the Quickbooks accounting software. It syncs your inventory, tracks your purchase orders, invoices, bills and checks. You can hook up a bar code scanner for ease of use and have a portable bar code scanner for inventory.

Cons

I'm sure there's better POS software out there but I'm used to Quickbooks and it seemed fairly easy to use. The interface could be better looking. It's kind of dated and a little complicated to look at and find what you need. The sync with the accounting software takes a while. You may have to find 5 minutes to do something else while waiting for it to sync.

Janeen from First United Methodist Church

Very basic and easy to use for small companies. Not good for large or high volume stores.

Pros

Very easy to use, easy to train new people. Easy for people who are not experienced on cash registers or computers.

Cons

Not easy to keep track of sales by item. Not easy to look up items. Not easy to research prices by item.

Response from Intuit

Replied September 2019

Hello, Janeen. Empowering you with the tools you need to get the job done quickly and easily is our top priority. It's great to hear this has been achieved for you! We recommend browsing the Community for tips and tricks on tracking sales and searching for items and prices. Here, you'll find a library of articles and advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/ Thanks for stopping by to leave a review. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Don from ABV Anderson Bine and Vine

Good software for retail sales but not as strong for food and drink sales

Inventory management and sales transaction and history. Nice customer reward program based on sales.

Pros

Good inventory managment tied to sales. Easy to use and train. Nice variety of sales reports and profitablity.

Cons

Inability to process another transaction while waiting for a customer to provide tip info eg must complete sale including tip amount before doing anything else (taking an order, printing another receipt for tip inclusion). Cannot process transaction if the internet is down.

Nate from ECHO Inc

Solid product for the small shop, don't expect it to grow with you.

This is a great way to go from no point of sale to a solid tool that will serve the small shop. There is very little in the way of customization, or integration that can be done with this product, don't expect to use it with other software easily.

Pros

Reporting features are excellent At-register experience is good Integration with Quickbooks is seamless

Cons

Integration with outside software such as e-commerce is poor Gift card options are unnecessarily limited, frustrating, and expensive Customer support leaves a lot to be desired

Kunle from Neons Solution

Best in its league.

I have been able to overcome every possible problem, from the way I see it every problem about QuickBooks has a solution.

Pros

Well as a professional and software developer, I have experienced many POS applications in my career but Quickbooks seems to be the best and easiest solution for me. I have recommended to my clients, they use it and personally I support them in case of any issue what so ever. I can boldly say for the last 7 years, quickbooks still stands out.

Lisa from Artworks: Big Rapids Area Arts & Humanities

It's OK and can be worked

We are currently running Quckbooks 2008 and I do not know if newer versions of Quickbooks have improved some of the current issues

Pros

Sort of intuitive to USE for the cashier. If set up correctly much can autofill at the time of sale.

Cons

Can be difficult to manage in regard to mapping for uploading of information to Quickbooks financial. Some reporting can be difficult and not customizable as much I would be beneficial. We tend to export and then manipulate the data in an office document.

Lisa from The Pet Cabaret

Once the only game in town

Once, one of the only games in POS. town, Intuit now has robust competition. We are seriously looking into a cloud based alternative for our store. Having said that, I will say that my most recent call to customer service was one of the best I have ever had. Maybe they are feeling some heat from the competition.

Pros

Very versatile, perhaps to a fault at times. Quite easy to learn at least initially. Integration with QuickBooks.

Cons

UI needs a serious updating. Many fine features on the software are not immediately apparent or easily accessible. This is at least partly due to the somewhat outdated and clumsy interface. We have had the desktop based version of this POS since 2003 and have had a tenuous and oftentimes rocky relationship with customer service and support. Intuit is such an enormous company that one feels like an unimportant cog in the wheel when trying to fix a problem.

Jennifer from Ben Built Inc.

Great software for our business needs.

Pros

It is a great software tools to not only track our business finances, but also our customers, vendors, and employees easily on 1 site.

Cons

Only 1 user can work the program at a time and then the file must be backed up each time for another use to log in. We tried the online version and did not like it so when we went back to the desktop program 5 months later, we had to back track months of data.

Patrick from Redefined Technologies

Quickbooks POS customer support is spectacular.

Overall the software is great! The customer service makes up for the lack of explaining certain things during installation. A service rep spent hours on the phone helping repair the problem. She was wonderful. The absolute best customer service I've ever used!

Pros

Customer support from Quickbooks POS is by far my favorite thing about this software! Very helpful.

Cons

Functionality of this product was a bit hard to work out. Especially in the install process when installing Quickbooks POS Server. Explaining the server and client sides of the software better during installation process would.

Carole from Riverwalk Threads

Too many crashes

Pros

Cons

It got to the point that we couldn't trust the inventory numbers anymore. It was spitting out numbers that were questionable based on given facts. We changed to a web based program so we could access it from anywhere.

Ken from Strum Hollow Music

Has Some Nice Features, But Too Many Glitches

Support is awful.

Pros

The reports are spot on and a great time saver.

Cons

I was not given a heads up that you have use Intuit's credit card services. Intuit is much higher than many other credit card providers. Also for the first 6 months I owned this program on occasion the software would malfunction and charge the last customer for the new customer's order.

Susan from Ergadoozy

Quickbooks POS

Pros

Simple to use, self explanatory, Easy set up- easy to talk an employee through over the phone if they need to use a new part of the system

Cons

It would help if there was a report that showed busy times of day, how many invoices per hour, -is good for staffing purposes and when looking at hourly changes-my old system had this and we used it quite alot

Kevin from Ricki's Pet Deot

Robust but very clunky

QuickBooks POS was our original product for inventory and sales in our retail store. While it is robust and simplifies many aspects of accounting, the overall feel and look were just not conducive to everyday business operations.

Pros

The integration between QuickBooks POS and QuickBooks itself is, as one should expect, outstanding! Both programs work exceptionally well together and make accounting very streamlined.

Cons

The user interface is very "clunky," meaning that it is sometimes difficult to navigate. For newer users, the visual presentation is overwhelming and has a rather uncomfortable feel to it.

Response from Intuit

Replied October 2019

Hi there, Kevin. Thank you for sharing your review with us. It's awesome to know integrating the Point of Sale system with QuickBooks has been simple and helpful. You can rest easy knowing all of your data is organized in one space. We want to make sure you have the resources you need to easily navigate your account. The Community is a great place to start. Here, you'll find a variety of articles and advice from other users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/ Wishing you continued success. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Meg from The Plant Gallery

Slow and not always intuitive but it works for many different functions

Pros

Great for tracking inventory and customers, great for sales orders and a services oriented business.

Cons

It is slow in a fast paced retail environment. Getting all the information is pretty slow going and not always intuitive for the new cashiers and many members of staff working in a fast paced store.

May 2016

Roger from Beastie Boutique, LLC

May 2016

Quickbooks POS

Pros

Very intuitive program. Lots of bells and whistles for the money. Easy to learn, plenty of reports and employee time tracking.

Cons

You pretty much have to use their merchant services. If you choose to use a third party, you will have to manually enter credit/debit sales transactions into another terminal. This leads to a double entry for these types of sales and mistakes happening. You have to pay for support, either monthly or very costly by the incident. Upgrading can be costly and if you don't upgrade, your version will not even be supported at some point.

Amazing software for small businesses!

Pros

Quickbooks POS is very user friendly - it is not a complicated point of sale software that requires much thought. Easy to train a new retail sales associate on, which is great.

Cons

There can be occasional glitches we can be problematic when running credit cards or taking payments.

Jaunett from Custom Payroll & accounting

Industry: Supermarkets

QB POS is worth a try

Pros

QuickBooks POS is a very affordable system. You get a lot of bang for your buck. Excellent at tracking inventory. QuickBooks tech support cannot be beat.

Cons

Reports are clunky and hard to navigate. The POS system does not connect with QuickBooks desktop as well as it should.

Carrie from the country boutique

Industry: Building Materials

Efficient for a small business

Pros

Has all the features needed for my business. It's easy to use. Excellent quality for its price point.

Cons

Need to be a faster way of looking up info. I have lots of products and we have to look thru the whole list even tho it is in order to find what we need. Can be very frustrating.

corey from Southern Charm

the product and the service are always dependable!

great customer service!

Pros

The POS is very easy to use and navigate. Even my employees who are not super computer literate can easily use it will little to no assistance.

Cons

I would like for upgrades to be more seamless, especially if there is a cost associated with the upgrade.

Mia from Athenas

Easy Use

Pros

Cons

I dont like that every time I open QB it doesn't go to home page, I have to close out of everything I worked on

Beth from Consultant

Prepare for lots of frustration, speaking to the continent of India and very little that makes sense

I'm a Proadvisor so I know a little. But nothing is helpful; create Custom Forms is a joke. Call India help desk, more time spent on nothing. It takes a lot of time, most spent on really bad documentation, but good once it's done.

Pros

Most small business accounts use QuickBooks

Cons

It's so badly prepared, the service is worthless, the documentation - both online and written, awful, and they make what should be easy, very difficult.

dawn from Puffs Smoke Shop

great product

makes the use of inventory easy to use

Pros

Its very user friendly I have employees that can breeze through it and it makes their life simpler.

Cons

Support help is not very good. Whe you call they wont help you right away. I never get anyone that speaks english well enough

Ed from Talley Metal Supply

Industry: Building Materials

Using outdated version.

looking possibly to upgrade to V18.

Pros

Using Quickbooks Accounting, so integrates well. Feels a lot like Quickbooks Accounting so is easy to use.

Cons

We have V12, which is over five years old, and we could not get any help desk support for this older version.