RetailSTAR

RetailSTAR Reviews

RATING:

Review Highlights

Have you used RetailSTAR and would like to share your experience with others?

All RetailSTAR Reviews

DOUG

Retail Star has evolved into an excellent retail management software system

We have been using retail management software from Cam Commerce Solutions since August 1, 1997. Our store consists of ten departments within a 22,000 square foot building. We carry over 40,000 active products from Estee Lauder and Clinique cosmetics, Brighton jewelry and handbags, TrollBeads, John Medeiros jewelry, Vera Bradley, women's and children's clothing, Hallmark greeting cards, home décor and decorative accessories, dinnerware, kitchen and gourmet products, natural products, pharmaceuticals, hearing aids, giftware, bath & body items, toys, books, gourmet candy and cookware. Last summer we added another checkout in our children's department making a total of eleven POS stations on the sales floor. The main reason I chose CAM Commerce Solutions back in 1997 was the fact that their system tracked each and every customer’s purchase and allowed us to target our direct mail advertising to those customers based on what products they bought during a specified period of time. Our customers are impressed with the ability of the Retail Star system to keep track of their purchase history. If a person wants to know what color Estee Lauder eye shadow she purchased six months ago, our sales associates have the data at their fingertips. If a mother forgot what brand of vitamins she purchased for her child three months ago, we just look it up for her at the POS station. CAM's Report Star application is the best I've ever used. Customized real-time reporting is a snap and large segments of data can be analyzed in just a few minutes. I can generate any report I could possibly need to run the business. It’s very easy to use and displays the results on-screen for review prior to printing. It will also convert the report to an Excel file so I can play with the numbers to my heart's content. Taking physical inventory has always been a chore, but with Retail Star and wireless portable data terminals, we completed our inventory in record time last January (2016) Purchase order receiving is a breeze because our wireless PDT is directly connected in real time to the Retail Star product table. If an item isn't in the database, the device audibly notifies the user so the product can be added to the system in product maintenance. Retail Star will create a purchase order based on various criteria and then allow us to transmit the order to the vendor electronically. We've been using this process since 2003. It cut the time it took for orders to arrive from a major cosmetic company by 50% and increased inventory turns. Driving traffic with frequent sales and promotions is another key to success in the competitive retail environment of today. Running items on sale and creating promotions is easy and fast with Retail Star. Last spring (2016), there were significant improvements to the sales promotion application within the Retail Star system which further automates and reduces checkout time because sales associates are not required to manually edit the sale price to match a specific promo in our marketing campaigns. I could go on and on about the features, advantages, and benefits of Cam Commerce Solution's Retail Star POS system. It would be difficult to imagine a retail operation that is more complex than Tobin’s, especially when you add the fact that we also provide first class pharmacy services. If Retail Star can handle our business, I’m confident it can handle yours.

Pros

Report writing application (Report Star) is fantastic! Targeting customers through direct mail marketing based on purchase history. Ability to set up promotional pricing at POS. Example: Purchase an item for $15.00 that normally sells for $29.00 with the purchase of 3 greeting cards. When the third card is scanned, the price of the promotional item changes from $29.95 to $15.95 automatically at POS. Basic POS functionality is excellent. Returns, Special orders, and layaways are a breeze. Gift card sales and redemption work great. We've been using EMV signature capture devices since November 2015. EDI ordering with major vendors works very well.

Cons

The price change utility can be somewhat cumbersome due to the inability to select and delete multiple items from a price change batch. Items must be individually deleted. I believe development is working on this issue.

Dawn

March 2016

We couldn't do it without Retail Star.

Pros

We have been a customer of Cam Commerce for over 20 years and on Retail Star for 9 years. Our company is focused on retailing, and only retailing. Retail Star offers a great, easy to use retail software program with a fast, easy POS system to operate the registers and wonderful back office operations so that we can focus on being retailers. But, my favorite feature is the report writer. Honestly, you can get so much data out of the database it will make your mind spin. The flexibility of the reports really helps in looking at your data from all sorts of different points of view. You can really make your stores improve sales performances by uses the reports wisely. The program is very stable, and so we do not have many tech calls. But, when we do have to call support, the Retail Star tech team is awesome. They are very easy to work with and are excellent problem solvers. What we do not want, or need, is an IT department and CAM offers us such a strong Tech Support team, that we do not need one.

Cons

This is not a CAM issue, but I wish we could get rid of the EMV chip readers. They are a pain in the rear.

Patti

September 2013

We started out as a one store antiques/gift/home decor/children's clothes store and bought Retail Star in 2002. Since then, we opened a second location in 2004 and have just closed the second store at the end of 2011. We had never used another system before, so there was a learning curve. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought something else. The same negative comments I have read here sound like a broken record. Lacking customer support, multiple bugs in the software, sitting on hold sometimes for more than 30 minutes just to get a live person during a major crash, no return phone calls, and varying levels of expertise in tech support. If I called and left a message that I wanted to buy something, then I received a call back quickly. If I just wanted support, no one wanted to listen. The supplies they offer as a "convenience" are outrageously expensive, and can be found much cheaper online from multiple other sources. They nickel and dime you for everything. And, when the company was sold, they insisted that I purchase additional licenses for thousands of dollars if I wanted any of the updates. So, I didn't do it and haven't updated in quite awhile. We can still ring up sales and run a few reports. Since I stopped the updates, I went from having to call my IT company from every week to now about three or four times a year. The barcode software that they sold me was extremely complicated. I had to use outside IT companies to install it and maintain it, and it was not user friendly. Then just when we thought we had learned it, CAM stopped supporting it. Naturally, they wanted to sell me something else. Now it has bugs in it. When I go to enter a PO, it not only enters the items from the company I am working with, but it also enters about 30 items from a previously existing PO. So when I print out, all these barcodes that I don't need print with the others. New equivalent software would cost me about $1,000. So we are just not using barcodes anymore. I still pay for "limited" support (just weekdays), because if you ever have to call tech support and you're not on a support plan, you have to pay hourly. So, you can imagine if it takes 30 minutes or more just to get a live person what this would cost. Also, if you want a hand held mobile inventory gadget, you have to pay not only for the gadget, but you pay additional support fees just for that. Before I bought this software, I went around to about 20 different retail stores in the metro Atlanta area. I could not find one clerk who actually liked the POS software they were being required to use. I thought I was really getting something special when the CAM sales rep sat in my living room for about 3 hours demonstrating all the bells and whistles of RetailStar. He made it sound so easy and so reasonable. They know that once you have invested all that money (thousands of dollars) and you have all that customer history and all that time put into barcoding the zillions of items in your store, you really can't afford to ditch them anytime soon. Now that I am 10 years plus, I am investigating other software. Good luck out there. It's not easy being in retail, and RetailStar doesn't make it any easier.

Doug

May 2016

We have been using retail management software from Cam Commerce Solutions since 1997.

We have been using a POS system to help run our business since 1987. Our store consists of ten departments within a 22,000 sf bldg. Our business will be 103 yrs old in July. We have over 100,000 items in our database and 11 POS stations on the sales floor. I chose CAM back in 1997 because their system tracked every customer purchase and allowed us to target our direct mail advertising to those customers based on what products they bought during a specified period of time. Customized reporting is a snap and large segments of data can be analyzed in just a few minutes. It's easy to use and displays the results on-screen for review prior to printing. Physical inventory was taken in record time last January using the wireless PDT provided by CAM. The PDT also makes purchase order receiving a breeze because it's directly connected in real time to the Retail Star product table. If an item isn't in the database, the device audibly notifies the user so the product can be added to the system. RS will create a purchase order based on various criteria and then allow us to transmit the order to the vendor using EDI.. It cut the time it took for orders to arrive from a major cosmetic company by 50%. Driving traffic with frequent sales promotions is another key to success in today's competitive retail environment. Running items on sale and creating promotions is easy and fast with RS. Recently, there have been many improvements to the sales promotion application within the RS system which further reduces checkout time. I could go on and on about the features and benefits of the Retail Star POS system. I didn't rate the system with five stars because there is always room for improvement. Due to the complexity of the retail environment and the large number of variables that occur at POS, there will always be enhancements that can make the system better. If you're looking for a retail management solution that is problem free, good luck. There will always be glitches but with almost 19 years of history with CAM, I can attest that they will concentrate development resources on problems that are business critical and have always been receptive to enhancement requests. By the way, Tobin's has been accepting and reading the new EMV chip based credit cards since last November using the Ingenico ISC250 signature capture device. We beat many of the major big box department stores to the draw on that one!

Rachel

June 2016

Great reporting capability, can be complex for beginners

Very good reporting features, can be as simple or in-depth as needed with a large variety of options. Gift card integration is seamless and customer profile and purchase tracking are great. A very good system if you take the time to learn it.

Pros

Powerful reporting with custom report options and build from the ground up report wizard. Customer purchase tracking and reporting built in.

Cons

Complicated, hard to learn for our less computer savvy employees. Buggy, crashes occasionally. If you pay for the tech support they are pretty good at getting things running again but sometimes I feel like I know more about the system than they do. Costly, not an cheap system to buy and the hardware and supplies are usually higher priced than you find elsewhere for the same products (printers, barcode scanners, price tags, etc).

CATHERINE

Cam review

I have had several problems with Cam in the past-the upgrade to chip readers was a disaster. Part of the problem may have been with Xcharge-but it took a long time to resolve. have gotten through that and hopefully all is well now. I think the program is fairly intuitive to use for most people. I think the support is high monthly since they want you to pay training for many questions.

Pros

The POS is easy to use even if you are not computer savy. I like the ability to reference receipts by name and for exchanges. People love the rewards program (FB).

Cons

The monthly cost is high, and when there is an upgrade they want to charge on top of that for help.

Molly

July 2016

Easy to use & reliable

Been using this since I started my position in 2010. easy & reliable so 1 thing I don't have to worry about in the "crazy" of retail.

Pros

Really easy to use. Drop down menus & simple to grasp. Taught myself most everything because it just made sense that things would work the way they do.

Cons

Doesn't have as many bells & whistles as some systems but they a) aren't needed in my shop and b) usually just seem like a new area for problems so I'm great without them!

Crystal

July 2016

Grade A Service!

Overall, this POS system is pretty easy to use, very direct, and once you learn more about it, very helpful! There are a lot of great tools and functions to use for everyday operations, and always more to explore!

Pros

The ease of reporting, getting sales and Inventory. The majority of tech support is very helpful when it comes to alleviating problems/issues, quickly.

Cons

Polling... This has to be one of the worst features of this software. It seems there are issues with this everyday, and we can only get ahead of it every once in a while. On going problem area.

Steven

Retail Star User

I would have given them higher marks if our company could use any Credit Card processor integrated into the Retail Star Point of Sale System.

Pros

Ability to track sales.

Cons

Can't use any Credit Card Processor has to be their Credit Card Processor if you want it integrated with Retail Star.

Nancy

RetailStar

We are pretty new to the Retail star so I am not sure if you can take what I will say about this program to heart. I feel like we were trained on the basics and still are trying to learn the program. We haven't been trained in some areas and not even sure if we are ready to be trained there even though it may make things a little easier. When I have called support which has been maybe twice (myself) at least once I was asked weren't you trained on this? Which I told him I probably was but not sure and if I was I haven't used it so I don't remember it. I am not trying to complain about the trainers. It's just different training over the phone than in person. I just think the training should be longer and not cost extra and we need some sort of manual to reference back to. This would make it easier and I wouldn't feel like I am going to a thousand places just trying to find how to do something. I am sure this is an awesome program it you know how to use it properly.

Pros

That i can scan an item to sell

Cons

More than you want to know at this point. If we knew how to use it correctly I wouldn't feel this way.

Jay

December 2012

I am shocked those complaining and providing low marks on their reviews of this software and it's company the way they have. You received free software and now you are complaining that you have to pay at some point to continue and grow. I've looked, researched and priced them and their competitors. They are not only reasonable, but lower in most areas. I am very proficient at IT work and do much of it for my Retail Store, yet I paid to have my systems professionally installed and have that peace of mind because this is my business. They offer Training and Installation onsite as well as over the phone, you can save some money by doing it via the phone. They are after all, a business of their own. It boils down to this - this is how I make my money and pay my bills. It's not a hobby, it's my business, cutting corners is usually and most often not a good idea. This company that has bent over backwards to help me and this past Christmas was no exception. When one of my systems died, they were on the phone with us resolving it as best and as quickly as possible. It's not their fault I have been running that specific system for the past 5 years without ever cleaning it or updating it, it's hardware - it doesn't last forever. In fact 5 years, it paid for itself and ten-fold. I swim in the smaller pond, CAM has enabled me to swim well. The fact is, it takes money to make money, it costs to run a Retail Store, and in order to be successful at anything you have to invest time, effort and money. Take care of the store, it’s equipment, and work with their support people to get resolutions to the problems. No software is perfect and without bugs. Invest the time to learn it so you can effectively use it. I’ve had other POS from other companies and trust me, I’ve never had a better experience than I have running my POS from CAM Commerce. Their people have shown me time and time again that they actually care and do their best to overcome anything and everything.

Tony

April 2016

Retail Star Tec Support

Pros

There Technical Support is great ...the personal have always been very helpful and patient with our people...we are the largest and most successful Halloween store in New York City...when busy, during season, we have 18 registers going and 7 back office client computers...total craziness ...we have been using Retail Star since 2003 and it has gotten the job done when we need it the most ...fast, efficient, and with great detail sales reports, it has been a partner that has helped our business to be so successful.

Cons

My people are not always happy about the upgrades because they do not like change... but in end it is all for better, once they get use to the new system

Retail Star Review 4-17-17

Overall we like Retail Star as our POS software provider. Like any software it has it's good and bad but overall it functions for our needs perfectly. Customer service is very easy to reach and seems to answer all our questions and if the cannot resolve it right then they find the solution and call back. Overall I would recommend this software for any business as it is easy to follow functions well in a retail environment. .

Pros

It ease of use.

Cons

Some areas of the software seem to be setup for a clothing retail store.

Richard

Comprehensive Solution for Shoe Retailers

We have used Retail STAR since 2006. The migration from a Unix-based solution went smoothly and Retail STAR is continuously updated.

Pros

The depth of custom reporting is great!

Cons

After updates, some features require more clicks of the mouse to accomplish what we used to do. This is due to increased functionality but our employees didn't care for it.

Nancy

Not a STAR to our store

This company and software failed us and nearly ended a successful 14-year business but only due to our loyal customers were we able to stay in business and have committed to finding other software and support as soon a possible. Even when confronted with the problem the company acknowledged they were wrong but refuse to make good on the contract.

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything

Response from CAM Commerce Solutions

Hi Nancy, CAM Commerce has been in business for over 30 years, successfully offering thousands of retailers a one source solution to their retailing software needs. We offer a variety of valued added services and features, including but not limited to E-Commerce, frequent buyer, gift cards, retail forecasting, accounting solutions, datamining, and vendor catalog imports.  We take pride in our partnerships with our retailers as such we offer real time technical support with over 90% of all inbound calls answered within three minutes. In addition we offer monthly training webinars as well as training customized to the retailer¿s needs. It is disappointing that a problem was not resolved to your satisfaction. We would love the opportunity to work through any remaining concerns, turning your experience with us around.

Replied May 2017

Charles

Retail Star Experience

This software is adaptable to nearly any situation. Great training and support. If you need a solution that does more than just the basics, this is the one. User feed back is valued and new features are continually added.

Pros

Functionality and adaptability. Ease of use.

Anna