All Toast POS Reviews

Toast makes life easier!

Jeff

Reviewed October 2019

So Great to Have Everything Consolidated

Overall I think after a lot of research and a couple of trials Toast seemed to be the best option as a long-term solution. I believe it can grow with us over the years.

PROS

One stop shop plug and play solution! I was not interested in having to switch between systems and wanted easy reporting across the business.

CONS

Takes a while to learn all the functionality but worth it once learned. Although it’s not a problem with the software itself, either a better hard copy training manual or disk would be helpful.

Reason for choosing Toast POS

More robust and offered more scale as we grow to keep everything on one platform.

Hi Jeff, Jasmine from Toast here. We're thrilled to hear you are enjoying your all-in-one, Toast POS System! For helpful training material, encourage you to refer to Toast Central at https://central.toasttab.com/s/.

Replied November 2019

Sanford

Sports, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Have Some Toast With Your Brunch. Or Lunch.

With over fifteen years of customer service experience covering all types of industries imaginable, the Toast POS software stands out when regraded by it's ease of integration, system set-up and navigation, customization and guest interaction interface. High marks all around and a resounding cheers to Toast's user friendly design.

PROS

Simple and easy to integrate into my workplace's numerous departments, Toast POS offers a user friendly platform to build an inventory into with the option to edit the information therein whenever required, even in real time when alterations are needed to complete a guest's order. Toast POS has a sharp and clean visual design that utilizes an equally well developed workplace layout sure to please no matter what industry you're part of.

CONS

A small setback I've noticed is the required input of a guest's name or information to initiate the 'tap to pay' option. There is a button to 'skip' this input, however if guest recall is pertinent to completing an order then the name or number attached to the order is required. I would like to see the guest's digital pay pad screen offer the ability to input a name or number if only to make interactions conclude in a quicker, more proficient manner.

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

Pre-existing software used at my current place of employment, Toast, movie from being a small business owner using Square.

Hi Sanford, Thanks for your positive review. We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to know we're meeting your expectations as a platform. If you haven't already, join our Toast online community at community.toasttab.com. Hope to see you there!

Replied September 2023

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Worst Customer Service

Horrible. Now I have to cancel Toast from all my restaurants and start with a new company. Not happy. All because they will not get anything accomplished for you if you are being overcharged, to online ordering isn't working correctly, to menu manager not functioning properly. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS SOFTWARE even though the functionality appears to be great. Not worth the hassle.

PROS

I did like the functionality but the service is so bad, it does not matter how good the software is.

CONS

Customer service, Toast adding billable products and never taking them off because you cannot get a hold of customer service.

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

Because I could not get my issues resolved with toast. I physically could not get a hold of someone except my rep and he said there is nothing he can do and he doesn't even have a number to call. He only puts i requests and waits like anyone else. He advised me rto cancel to stop the billing that has been going on for 2 years without my knowledge and ability to stop it. Lawsuit will have to be filed now. It doesn't even make sense but, this is how they operate.

Hi Mark, I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience. I'll be reaching out to directly to learn more how we can help support you here.

Replied January 2024

Britney

Reviewed January 2024

A Restaurant MUST!

PROS

How easy it is to set up and categorize. Also see sales report and track inventory.

CONS

When it freezes, glitches, or has an issue processing payments.

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

More user friendly, options, customer service, and price.

Hi Britney, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and experience using Toast. - Carrisa

Replied January 2024

5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed August 2020

I'd give it a 10 but then it would be perfect!

Overall, I really enjoy the system. It's simple to program and they have a great support system. It's worth the investment to pay for extended support until you or a manager has the ins and outs of the backend in hand. The reporting is awesome and when used the right way, you have your answers to questions you didn't even know you needed to ask.

PROS

I have been using restaurant POS for over 20 years and Toast has shown itself to be one of the best on the market. It is so user-friendly and easy to work in, including the handhelds, that it's amazing. In training new teams they offer a great program and support team. The layout is ideal for high-volume. Reporting is excellent. I refer Toast to most of our clients.

CONS

As with any new system you install, there will be issues and "clunks." Toast is no exception. The worst was the display screen and the use of it on the line. If you do not set aside enough time to train, prior to opening or first use, it will be challenging to understand, especially if you are not used to systems other than tickets and calling out. It just takes time getting used to and working out the kinks upon install.

Price, support, system use

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

We needed to have a better system than the old one we were using, as in most places. Toast offered the package at a wonderful price and the system supports the costs.

Hi there, Mora from Toast here. It's great to hear that your positive experiences with Customer Care have enabled you to efficiently train up new team members. Thank you for providing this feedback!

Replied August 2020

Reviewed August 2023

Toast POS has been a nightmare

I was excited, but knew i made a huge mistake the day we went live, they ran out the door as soon as we were hooked up with zero training, and it only got worse which is why i'm here.I have a 39 Year old restaurant with a pretty large menu, it wasn't easy to make the switch, but i did, and regret it.

PROS

The handheld device is nice, but i only ordered one, when i tried to send a second one back they told me to keep it, but still charged me for 2 ($100.00) month.

CONS

I was mislead by their sales team, it never felt right but i was sold on the 3rd party integration, once i found out they don't integrate, it took a month to find out the truth, but was still billed for things i didn't receive or use, even things like Caller ID (common 101 stuff with so called older POS companies) i understand they discontinued, but they still charged me for it, and refused to refund without a fight.Bottom line, this has been the single worst decision iv'e made as a small business owner, and it's not over yet, i'm still fighting to learn new system, a system i wish i never moved forward with. do your research, it's not always greener on the other side.If you're a huge company with multiple locations then Toast might work for you, you would also need to have a very small menu with very few modifiers for it to work and be worth it, but honestly after the huge expense monthly plus CC processing is it really worth it?

Reason for choosing Toast POS

What they offered to do and integrate, but they failed to integrate what they said, but still charged 100% right away and refused any refund.

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

I was under the impression they offered features that i found more valuable like 3rd Party Order Processing and Marketing, however by the time you add up all they have and charge you for it's 70% more than other companies, not to mention they don't actually offer things like 3rd party order integration, unless you use their drivers, that's not what i was told by sales team, now i'm stuck here, and they charged me fully right away and refused any refunds even though i did NOT get what i wanted, also charged me for Caller ID too which was new to they, they scrapped it after we went live, but still charged me and refused to refund.I wish Caller ID was the least of my problems.

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your review. We'd like to look into this further and will be reaching out shortly to get this resolved.

Reviewed May 2019

Toast--Support when you need it.

We are still early in the implementation of using Toast, but thus far I have been very impressed with their customer service and professional manner in which they have trained and supported our company.

PROS

I love that Toast supports their product. You can call and get someone on the line that will help you answer your questions. They also provide the hardware necessary to run their software. They are constantly updating their software to meet the needs of their users and are staying current with the technology. One option that is particularly useful to us is printing individual labels for each shake. In other words, we could have a bus of individuals come to our restaurant, and we need to print individual labels on each shake to identify what is in the shake so that it gets to the right person. In the past, we had to individually write on each cup.

CONS

The most difficult part to swallow is the fact that you have a monthly payment for the software--even if you are a seasonal business and only open for less than half the year. Toast will make some concessions for that, but it still seems costly since our other solution we used was free and pretty much did everything we needed short of printing individual labels for the shakes.

Reason for choosing Toast POS

We chose Toast over Square because of: 1. Dedicated support 2. Individual labels for each shake 3. Text notifications to customer when their food is done 4. More reliable KDS (Kitchen Display Systems) 5. Much larger and more functional KDS screens

KRISTEN

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Reviewed October 2023

Toast for High-End Restaurant that is part of a Hotel/Banquet/Spa Resport

Positive, for both POS and Payroll. While we have had a few hiccups, I have been impressed with Customer Service and Tech Support in most instances

PROS

Self-Install was a little bit complicated but Toast Support was very helpful. The interface is very intuitive and overall simple to follow and teach. Some financial reports don;t show exactly what we'd like, but Toast Support is helping us create custom reports for everything we need.

CONS

Setting up the menu and revenue centers, especially chaging the revenue centers has been less simple than I'd like.

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

Aloha was out of date, and expensive to update

Hi Kristen, thanks for taking the time to share your experience using Toast! We're thrilled that the interface is simple enough for you to follow and teach your team. We're always here to help support you! If you haven't already, please join our online community at community.toasttab.com to connect with other restaurant leaders. - Carrisa

Replied November 2023

charles

Reviewed September 2023

Very Robust and Versatile POS w/ minor hiccups and One NO NO Add-On Feature

I'm now pretty savvy w/ Toast POS after 6 mo of use.

PROS

Robust and Versatile POS for full service restaurant. Perfect for full service restaurant. it does have some minor hiccups. Probably the best POS on the market. Integrates well w/ Open Table. Good support w/ little wait time most time.

CONS

Toast offers many useful integration except One major NO NO Add-on is Toast Payroll - it's a disaster. totally user unfriendly. clumsy, many non-sense system questions that cause confusion, lack of even the simplest and most basic yet required reporting. Even it's nice to have the time cards get carried over automatically, you would be better off using 3rd party time management and payroll app.

Reason for choosing Toast POS

Features and integrations were not as comprehensive

Hi Charles, we appreciate your review. We'll be sure to pass along your feedback to our team. - Carrisa

Replied September 2023

Reviewed July 2019

Learning curve

decent, not thrilled

PROS

There are a lot of features and functionality with Toast, how to use them is another thing

CONS

Not very intuitive to use. Also i have not been able to get ahold of customer service

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

We are growing and needed to step up from Square

Hi there, Jasmine from Toast here. If you're having trouble reaching Toast Support over the phone, log on to Toast Central to chat with them live during business hours. This is also where you can find Toast University, a library of all the training courses you need to be successful with Toast!

Replied August 2019

Stuart

Restaurants, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Easy to implement

It keeps me up to date in real time with what is happening in my restaurant.

PROS

The suite of features in the software make it easy to integrate into almost any restaurant environment. They have an excellent team to get you started and help you design your system to your specs. Email marketing and loyalty program have been great for us.

CONS

I am not very happy with the fact that we were forced to take on Toast as our payment processor! This is costing us way more in fees than my original "Interchange Plus" processing that I had through my bank. This is a little disconcerting and could add up to some major dollars in expense!

Cost and benefit analysis

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

NCR did not support my existing system any longer

Adam

Reviewed March 2023

All function, little form

Working with a product that was actually intended for restaurants and not as a one-size-fits-all for any retail application has been wonderful.

PROS

Toast POS works exactly how it's supposed to, and meets every functional need we've had.

CONS

The support has been great, and the learning tools are awesome, but I would rather have a product that is easier to understand. There have been times when I've had to contact support for things that should have been very simple and straightforward. I have enough to do with running a restaurant that devoting the necessary time to watch all the training videos is impossible. Trying to navigate the Payroll has been particularly difficult. If you could get a great design team to make the products easier to navigate, Toast would be unstoppable. Also an app to access the back-end or payroll and work as a mobile POS would be great.

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

Because I've never felt more undervalued as a customer than I did with Square. Their support was a nightmare.

Hi Adam, Thank you for choosing us as your POS provider. We appreciate the incredible 5-star rating. We'll continue working hard to make every interaction with Toast memorable.

Nick

Reviewed March 2023

Toast POS

A truly simple and effective system, the credit processing aspect is where I have the most concerns, but like taxes, it's unavoidable to a certain degree, but it's well documented that PROCESSING is a racket, where companies can, will, and do take advantage of unknowing, business operators who just simply don't have the time to research and find the best, most fair processing fees. I was not involved with the selection of this system, but operators get hosed regularly by processing fees, so do your due diligence because this is money which should be going into your account and back into your business

PROS

Toast is a cloud based POS system. It is easy to use, pretty intuitive. It doesn't come with the baggage of the traditional old school proprietary systems. I've worked in restaurants for 30 years, and have worked with all sorts of POS systems. This one is pretty straight forward.

CONS

It would be nice to have an ON screen list of 86 items, so you can ensure buttons are reactivated in a timely manner. Also, we recently had a charge back due to someone using someone elses credit card through the online ordering platform. This is where a guest literally orders and pays from their computer or mobile device, so WE at the store level have absolutely no interaction with the guest. I just simply do not understand how the charge back for that fraud comes out of OUR pocket, when it was the POS that approved and allowed the transaction. This seems highly unfair. Every dollar counts. This was a big order too like $200. Might not seem like much, but when you're fighting and scraping to maximize your profits, it hurts.

Hi Nick, Carrisa here with Toast. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us such a thoughtful review. Thank you for sharing your experience navigating the platform and your pain points. We'll be sure to pass this along to our team for review.

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

Reviewed June 2020

Disappointing

Below average. They've kept the software running at all times and that's a huge plus. However, they are charging top dollar and we were expecting a fantastic product. The product is only OK. The service has been spotty; at times good, at times not.

PROS

The POS portion is solid. It's generally easy to use. It's been up about 99.9% of the time which is not true of all software. The people we have dealt with there have been nice and responsive.

CONS

The back end of the software is poorly designed and written. The inventory module is laughably bad; looks like it was designed and written by a college kid in a couple hours. The reporting is also not well thought out. More than once we've found the only option for a pretty standard report is to download data into Excel and manipulate it ourselves. There is no accounting application and no interface with Quickbooks. Generally it looks like a solid group designed the POS and then those people left or started working on other things. The service during the Covid 19 pandemic has been awful. It's nearly impossible to reach support and honestly makes me wonder if these guys are solvent. We had two management contacts that we would call in cases where we had support issues. Now both of those people have been (apparently) laid off. When we called support the last time, the recording warned that there were 33 people ahead of us in line. I've waited for an hour and eventually given up when there were only 12 ahead of me.

Reason for choosing Toast POS

It was recommended to us.

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

We thought it would be a step up. We had an old legacy POS system. It was down at times and while the support people were responsive, they had a very limited team and were not always available.

Leo

Reviewed June 2023

Great POS

PROS

Toast is a very easy-to-use and intuitive POS. It was a great change from a legacy platform, and a brief stint with another terrible platform. Team picks it up very quickly.

CONS

Wish the handhelds had a longer lifespan. We spent a lot of money on them just prior to covid, then shut down for more than a year. Upon reopening many of them had issues with card readers, batteries and a new model was released. Wound up being many thousands of dollars spent only to be on the cusp of needing to replace them all.Wish there was more flexibility with an enterprise system. It would be nice to have more local customization while maintaining a brand database.

Reasons for switching to Toast POS

Our last solution was absolutely horrible.

Hi Leo! Glad to hear that you're finding Toast easy-to-use. We appreciate the feedback. If you haven't already, join our Toast Community at community.toasttab.com to connect with other restaurant leaders.

Mehdi

Reviewed January 2023

Expensive but worth it

I like it very much . The integration prices are too high but the rest is fine.

PROS

Reports and analysis is so good and it's so user-friendly and so easy to learn and train for employees.

CONS

They are so busy when it comes to customer service but if you wait for them they definitely fix your issue but the problem is they're super busy for calls. But honestly for the past w years I had to call them like 2 times and the system worked so good all the time.

Reason for choosing Toast POS

Options and accuracy also the reports

Better options on toast