All Avalara Reviews

Gabriel

Consumer Goods, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed November 2018

Tax Cert Organization for any Sized Company

PROS

I use Avalara's CertCapture program for filing all of the tax certs my company receives. If you are still keeping physical copies, you need to consider this. CertCapture allows the user to assign account numbers and names to every cert uploaded - it also allows expiration dates to be set. A report is processed every couple of weeks to see which of our customers will need to send in updated paperwork. Then an automated email and fax are sent, reminding them what certs are needed. Staying in compliant is one of my top priorities and this allows me to do so with ease.

CONS

I am honestly struggling to think of anything negative to say about this software. We currently use Vertex for our tax calculations, i would like to start using AvaTax though. I work for a large corporation and from what I've been told AvaTax doesn't meet our business needs. I would like to see that change in the coming years.

Restaurants, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed February 2022

Great Customer Support & Variety of Services Offered

Always a pleasant experience and great customer support!

PROS

The software is easy to use and the customer support is excellent.

CONS

Reports showing usage were not super clear, but I think it was a technical glitch.

Reason for choosing Avalara

Avalara was the most cost effective option for us at the time.

Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers the best service possible, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you. Regarding your feedback about reporting, we'd appreciate an opportunity to learn more about what's going well and improvements you'd like to see. If you're open to continuing the conversation, please contact customercare@avalara.com so we can share your insights with our product team.

Replied February 2022

Nick

Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2024

Run Away, You are ON YOUR OWN

Horrible, HORRIBLE customer service and support. They are just about to get us sent to collections because their reporting is so bad.

PROS

Their tax calculations seem reasonably accurate.

CONS

Their report filing is inaccurate, incomplete and you can literally never get help or talk to a human.

Nick, thanks for sharing your feedback. We're sorry your experience has been poor, and we'd like to learn more so we can assist. Please reach out to our team at customercare@avalara.com so we can help.

Replied May 2024

Melissa

Hospitality, 201-500 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Using the DAVO Feature of Avalara

PROS

The company, as a whole, was founded on making a tedious and oftentimes overwhelming regular process, as seamless as possible. I implemented Avalara, many years ago, in another company and could not have been more pleased with the service. DAVO integrates very simply into the POS of our restaurants and helps hold the sales tax liabilities outside of our operating accounts so that the monthly sales tax payments don't cut our reserves, like they used to.

CONS

The contact that I had with Avalara, in the past, featured amazing customer service. I worry that with DAVO they have taken on another "leg" of business that is not as customer service focused. I very much miss the interaction that I believe other customers get when using the Avalara product.

Melissa, thanks for taking the time to share about your experience with Avalara and DAVO. We work hard to deliver a seamless product, and we're glad to read it's working well for you!

Replied March 2024

Bonnie

Plastics, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Tax Accountant

PROS

Avalara reporting tools such as Credit Carry forward balance and liability worksheet. The reports are very detailed and would help in an audit situation.

CONS

I don't have any issues with the software It's the customer service that is lacking.

Reason for choosing Avalara

We were currently on Vertex L servies and it didn't meet the demands of our growing company

Reasons for switching to Avalara

Looking for a better tax calculating and reporting tool

Bonnie, thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We work hard to deliver a reliable product, and so we're happy to read your team has benefited from our services.

Replied December 2022

Carolyn

Arts and Crafts, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed October 2023

A company that looks good, but doesn't produce results.

From the very beginning, it was frustrating. They give you hours of classes that are supposed to help you set it up. But it didn't apply to my website. After several weeks, I finally got someone to look at it and set it up. It was nothing like the videos. It never did work properly. I ended up paying the taxes instead of the customer and it charged too much in taxes, I'm surprised my customers didn't complain. It was way overpriced compared to another tax program I am using on another website that worked perfectly from the beginning. Avalara should not have sold this product to me since the connecter to Restrict Content Pro did not work properly. They blamed RCP, but they shouldn't have sold it because it didn't work.

PROS

From the outside, they look very professional. They are eager to get sales, but everything was a hassle after signing up.

CONS

Too expensive. Too hard to get help. My connector never worked even after 9 months of trying back and forth with Restrict Content Pro and Avalara. No one seemed to know how to fix the problem, but I kept paying a very high price and getting bad results.

Reason for choosing Avalara

I didn't have a choice. The only connector Restrict Content Pro uses is Avatax. Restrict kept telling me they were looking into it and would get back to me, but after 9 months they still had no answers. If you do not cancel Avatax within 3 months of it expiring, you have to pay another whole year. I didn't want to pay for another year with really bad results. Canceling was also a hassle because my account manager wouldn't get back to me even though I called and emailed him. It says you have to send a written notice of cancellation. When I called and asked where to send this written notice, they wouldn't give me an address. They said I had to contact my account manager. I said I tried to contact him, but after a week of waiting, I got no response. She said she would send something to him to contact me. I ended up doing their online help and the person told me to go to a page on the site and cancel my membership. I didn't want to cancel, I just didn't want to renew. I ended up canceling, and they charged me for the remaining three months all at once.

Reasons for switching to Avalara

Avatax didn't work with Restrict Content Pro. Quaderno works perfectly with Easy Digital Downloads and is easy to set up with no issues and is very reasonably priced.

Carolyn, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara, though it's not at all the type we aim to deliver. We apologize for the frustration you experienced with getting your products set up and getting timely responses from our team. We understand you've decided to cancel, but would like to learn more details about your experience so that we may look into the issue. If you're open to sharing more, please contact us at customercare@avalara.com.

Replied November 2023

Teresa

Wholesale, 51-200 employees

Reviewed October 2019

Sales Tax Solution nightmare

No response to emails, 1-1.5 hour on hold wait time to talk with a rep that may or may not help you. Avalara claimed to have a solution that would handle the general/manufacturing tax rates in Alabama and Mississippi and this was a blatant lie. After waiting 3 months we had to contract for a customer solution with our software provider. I would not recommend going with Avalara due to the horrible customer service and the fact state agencies hate working with them (and that is a quote from 5 different states). Do your homework and if you have to tax at general or manufacturing rates then find another alternative. We had a delay during implementation due to a merger and Avalara would not credit any unused tax return filings. We were billed for tax returns they never filed and then sent a bill for the upcoming year.

PROS

Reports easy to read Exemption certificate management and repository. Keeps tax rates updated Geolocator for taxing purposes

CONS

Customer service is HORRENDOUS. No credit for unused tax return filings. Web portal is not easy to navigate Avalara servers are slow to update when working on month-end tie-outs to ERP system Dropped invoicing lines on backordered items, these have to be manually entered in Avalara

Reasons for switching to Avalara

CFO made the decision with no input from the accounting department. That CFO is no longer with the company.

Teresa, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience using Avalara. We strive to offer the best service possible and the frustrations you've described are not what we want. We've reached out to your account manager on your behalf. If you're open to a conversation, please contact us at customercare@avalara.com.

Alexandra

Business Supplies and Equipment, 201-500 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Product Review

We had accuracy issues with our last sales tax provider and since implementing AvaTax, we have decreased our risk of charging the incorrect tax rates to our customers located across the US.

PROS

Once the initial setup is completed and tested, Avalara takes the guesswork out of sales tax. It is more accurate and cost effective than our previous third party sales tax provider. Also, the product is so easy to use and to navigate.

CONS

The implementation (like with all other software) hit snags that were unexpected, and took our IT team some extra time to link our billing system with AvaTax.

Reasons for switching to Avalara

To increase accuracy and to find a provider to also file the sales tax returns for our company.

Alexandra, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Avalara. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to continuing to serve you. If there are additional comments you'd like to share, particularly around areas where you see need for improvement, please contact customercare@avalara.com.

Dana

Retail, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed March 2021

Implementation is key

Overall, I am happy with product as it is has saved time for team in filing reports and also is a great repository for our sales tax related files.

PROS

Central location to review sales tax filings, transactions, payments, etc. The feature for tracking states that may trip nexus and require filings is great. Good connections with account manager to update us on features and changes to account.

CONS

Needing to login to Avalara to check tickets submitted for review instead of receiving e-mail notifications. Implementation seemed very cumbersome and time consuming especially when implemented with various systems.

Reasons for switching to Avalara

Needed a more automated solution to handle growth and size.

Dana, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers the best service possible, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you.

Shu

Retail, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2021

Customer support almost non existent, got screwed the very first month, nightmare transition

Terrible. Customer support is non-existent.

PROS

Technology and software seems pretty solid so far.

CONS

I don't trust people at Avalara. We went live on 1/1/2021 and they processed returns for non-SST states for the month of January but they did NOT process returns for SST states for the month of January. Wait. What? How does it make any sense? They said my SST service starts on 2/1/2021 and not on 1/1/2021 (but somehow non-SST state service starts on 1//1/2021?!). How does it make any sense when we went live on 1/1/2021. The sales reps rushed to sign me up in December so I can start my service at the beginning of the year. They never mentioned anything about my service not starting until 2/1/2021. When I contacted them about why they haven't filed returns for SST states, they were extremely slow in their response. Customer support is terrible. I don't recommend it. They said they can still back file January returns but they would charge me $250 per state. That's $6,000 for 24 states. If you aren't willing to pay this extra fee in the first month of service, don't bother going with Avalara. I don't recommend it.

Reasons for switching to Avalara

Technological issues with the software

Shu, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience using Avalara. We strive to offer the best service possible and the frustrations you've described with SST are not what we want. If you're open to a conversation, we'd like to learn more about your specific experience and work to assist. You can reach us at customercare@avalara.com, and we're following up with your account manager as well.

Reviewed September 2019

CertCapture does what it is supposed to do, but doesn't make it easy

It would be impossible to correctly charge tax and file in the various states where we now have "economic nexus" without Avalara, so Avalara has been indespensible. However, they have completely ignored my suggestions for improvements for over 4 years. We need them, but I hope they get better at the certificate capture part of the business.

PROS

Certcapture provides the ability to create a campaign to email or fax customers for whom exempt certificates are required, and it makes it easy for them to supply the certificate(s). It is also simple to followup with those that did not initially respond. For daily use, the Walk me Through help feature, and the great wealth of help articles and FAQs, make it easy to find the answer to any questions.

CONS

CertCapture allows you to select an Exempt Reason that isn't valid for the state of the certificate. Avalara knows it isn't a valid reason, but it lets you select it anyway, and doesn't give you an error. After you finish validating the certificate and saving it, you can then look at a "History" tab and there you will see an API Call Failed error which if you research you'll find out the reason. But why set the user up for failure? Another issue: how is it useful to allow only the last PO number to be used for a single-use certificate, but at the same time allow multiple PO numbers to be saved? That’s also setting people up to fail! The Avalara University videos on Certcapture do not mention that only the last PO number saved is effective. The “Walk me through” feature doesn’t either. The field says “PO Numbers” and allows multiple PO Numbers to be saved, but it doesn’t actually work. The only way someone could learn that the field that says PO Numbers really means PO Number is by having orders they expected to be exempt be taxed, then have customers complain when they are not. Avatax should validate the selected Exempt Reason, and check all the PO numbers listed for a certificate and exempt orders with PO numbers that match any of them. I've told them this, but instead of “That’s a good idea, I’m going to forward your idea to our product development team and see if we can get it implemented.” they say “the software is working as designed.”

Reason for choosing Avalara

There are no alternatives that I am aware of for use with Epicor Eclipse.

Thank you for sharing about your experience using CertCapture. From what you wrote, we recognize that there are things that have gone well and areas that need improvement. We would appreciate an opportunity to learn more about your experience. If you're open to a conversation, please contact customercare@avalara.com.

Reviewed August 2022

Horrible Software with even worse Customer Service

Awful, support staff has very clearly never used the software, some have never seen it. Software does not provide the basic functionality that is advertised. Our account manager is incredibly rude and ignores emails. So phenomenally frustrating. The few helpful people I have worked with that actually understands how the software is supposed to work have made it clear that the issue we are experiencing are back-end programming problems that need to be resolved by their back-end support team. Despite following up multiple times I have yet to receive any resolution. After putting in countess hours and way too much in subscription costs into getting this software setup I can honestly say it is more time and cost effective to manually calculate tax on each order than it is to use Avalara.

PROS

After over a year of use, nothing. there is nothing redeemable about this software.

CONS

On an entirely basic level, the software does not function. It is advertised as integrating with QuickBooks Desktop but I have yet to see it function properly for an entire day. It has created such a phenomenal mess of our QuickBooks file and is completely unreliable to calculate taxes correctly to the point that each transaction has to be manually checked to ensure tax filings are correct. I have been told by numerous support staff that this is not normal but after spending literal hours working to try and rectify the issues, have come to realize that the software does not function as advertised and likely never has. Absolutely atrocious that this was ever advertised to work with QuickBooks Desktop. DO NOT USE THIS SOFTWARE.

Reason for choosing Avalara

It was recommended by QuickBooks sales.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience, though it's not the type we aim to deliver. We're sorry to read you've experienced challenges with the QuickBooks integration. We understand it's been frustrating and we'd like to help. Please contact us at customercare@avalara.com so we can work to address the issue.

Replied August 2022

Brian

Construction, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2019

Customer Service is Horrible

My company and I decided to outsource our sales tax filings in the 3rd quarter of 2018 in the wake of the impactful "Wayfair" sales tax ruling. I have to say that our experience thus far has been wholeheartedly disappointing. It is a textbook case of a vendor over promising and under delivering. Avalara failed to support us during the implementation period in that we could not even reach our implementation specialist for nearly a month after contracting with them! We were reassigned a new specialist who was very hands off and over promised their ability to reach our go live date. In addition since we went live we have been passed onto 4 different account managers in 7 months, only one of which seemed to particularly care about our account. Sadly he has since moved on. They disavow mistakes and responsibility for failure to register their clients in the requested states and their customer support consists of sending you dozens of links to their online handbook. If you are looking for sales tax help I HIGHLY suggest your company look elsewhere.

PROS

Not much really. It is mostly out of necessity that we must use Avalara otherwise we would be spending days just filling out state sales tax filings for our monthly sales.

CONS

The software itself is not terribly bad; however the customer support is atrocious! If you have any questions it may take days or weeks for someone to get back to you (if ever).

Brian, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience; it's not the type we aim to deliver. We apologize that the implementation process has been a challenge and we'd like to help. Please contact our VP of Customer Excellence Bobby Sands at customercare@avalara.com so we can work to address your frustrations.

Replied August 2019

VICTOR

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Great Product & Well Worth the Money

Overall experience has been great and I'm very happy we selected Avalara 5 years ago. The product has only improved in my opinion since then and as mentioned before, it's a huge benefit to us in saving us time and resources as well as helping to reduce our risk around sales tax obligations.

PROS

Avalara's sales tax management solution has been fantastic for our company. Before we implemented Avalara 5 years ago, everything we did was manual and left us to risk of miscalculations of tax. It's all automated now based on the shipping address, nature of our revenue, and their tax engine calculates the tax and includes on our invoices. We also use CertCapture and have Avalara filed our returns - franky, it's very cheap relative to the value it provides our business in savings of time/resources and improving our controls around sales tax obligations.

CONS

I don't have many complaints about the software - it's been very intuitive to use and was pretty easy to implement. The only small complaint I have is when the liability worksheet locks down the 10th of the following month, you can't make any more changes to a given state without them unlocking it for you and incurring a fee. I think a few of these requests should be included in your subscription as they are bound to happen.

Reason for choosing Avalara

Price and ease of implementation and integration with NetSuite were main factors that led us to choose Avalara.

Victor, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Avalara. We're committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, so we're happy to hear your feedback and we look forward to continuing to serve you.

Sherri

Sporting Goods, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2023

Avalara is a nightmare

We have spent a great deal of money having outside people help us with issues that Avalara customer support does not know how to fix.

PROS

It was available in the hosting environment we had

CONS

Their customer service is awful. They close claim tickets without even working with you to fix the problem. When you do get a zoom meeting you never talk with the same person twice so you have to start over. They point the blame to other platforms you use as the source of your problem. Some of our issue have gotten worse by the fixes that their customer service reps have implemented to fix other issues.

Reason for choosing Avalara

We had to choose from what our hosting environment offered

Sherri, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience using Avalara. We strive to offer the best service possible and the frustrations you've described are not what we want. If you're open to a conversation, we'd like to address your concerns by learning more about your specific experience and how we can improve. Please contact us at custoemrcare@avalara.com

Replied June 2023

Reviewed April 2018

In general Avalara has been a great product. It saves us a great amount of time every month.

Avalara definitely saves time and money by automating the sales tax. As well as keeps us in compliance, as I could not keep track of the sales tax we owe in every state when tax rates continually change.

PROS

You don't have to think about it. Once you get it set up, it runs smoothly on its own and only requires a monthly review to tie out to your GL. Having Avalara remit sales tax on my behalf is a great option.

CONS

The software works great. We have had issues with the Cert Capture add on. Which can be very confusing to use. Also setting up reminders on the cert capture side is challenging, and the email directly to customers from Cert Capture is a confusing process for both the administrators and the customers receiving the requests. I would also like additional stability with our customer rep. We are on our 4th customer rep in about 18 months. Along with changing reps, our contract is not reviewed and we have been overcharged. This last fall our overcharging went on for about 4 months and then took another 3 months to get the cash/credits back from Avalara. I also would like Avalara to have a better integration with Amazon. I end up having to import Amazon transactions into Avalara every month, with is always a challenge.