All TaxJar Reviews

Reviewed December 2017

We've been using TaxJar for almost 2 years and couldn't be happier with the outstanding value

PROS

extremely easy to implement, use and service levels are outstanding. The product is extremely accurate - love the the automated state filings which saves tremendous time critical for a small organization.

Anne

Internet, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2017

TaxJar is the ONLY way to collect state sales tax for eCommerce!

One of my lifeline go to products to run my eCommerce Internet sales business. It pulls in info from Amazon, eBay and PayPal to calculate which states I owe sales tax too. I was a life saver when I went compliant regarding my FBA sales tax. Thanks TaxJar!

PROS

TaxJar has an ease of use that once you are set up, you are good to go. They make registering for states you have nexus in a breeze. I started with my home state of CA and worked with it for over a year before becoming compliant with other states that I had nexus in for Amazon FBA. As an eCommerce seller I was able to easily link to my eBay and PayPal accounts. They pull in the info needed and on a monthly basis I can see which states I have to make payment to. I easily log into the states websites and submit everything online. Such a time saver I can't even tell you. They give you step by step instructions for everything having to so with EACH and every state in the USA. Simply the best! As a solopreneur, I am my own book-keeper and accountant. I have all the info in TaxJar to make my business run regarding sales tax.

CONS

While I haven't yet used autopay, where they would do my filing, I hesitate because my sales are not great. I wish the fee was based on how much or how little one sold. I would use in a New York minute if that were the case.

Abdullah

Retail, 2-10 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2019

Please do not Waste your money in this company

Horrible!! Now I am looking for an alternative. If someone ever pays me a million dollars, I will never sign up with these guys.

PROS

I signed up with this company since the start of my business back in 2014. After signing up installation was pretty easy as all I had to do is install the plugin and few clicks it was all set. So, I never needed a human interaction. December 2018 I updated my software, since then this plugin isn't working. What that means is, this software did not collect a single tax from customer. I file my taxes quarterly. In January i logged in to get the report, that's when I discovered that tax jar is not collecting any taxes. Due to my busy schedule I couldn't contact them right away. Then when I finally did contact them by sending them an email, I did not get a response from these guys for over a month. Then I sent a follow up email beginning of this month. I am still waiting on the resolution. What is the issue you may ask? When I try to connect my store (magento 1), it gives an 301 redirects. They told me it has something to do with my server side. Hosting company saying they don't see anything wrong with my site or the server. They do not provide any phone service. So, all these communication is going on via email. Wanna hear the response time? First email sent on May 6th, didn't hear anything back from them until 2 days later. Sometimes I am going 2/3 without any response.

CONS

- No Phone Support - Email support takes 2/3 days to a week, sometimes no response - Basically no support

Kelly

Sporting Goods, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2022

Makes Filing Nexus State Taxes Easy

We needed to be able to handle multiple states that we had nexus in and Taxjar made it easier to not only collect the correct taxes but to file in every one of those states automatically. Saving us both time and money every month.

PROS

Auto filing of multiple sales taxes for nexus states. Manages tax collection for multiple states and counties. Made collecting taxes within our shopping cart and ERP easy.

CONS

Integration with other services and systems. Works well with some not at all with Shopify (but that is on Shopify not TaxJar).

Geri

Reviewed March 2018

Takes the pain out of paying my salestax

Worry free tax filing and tracking.

PROS

The best thing about TaxJar is the ability to connect it to my Amazon store and it monitors all of the sales tax that needs to be submitted and filed. I also use the added service of letting TaxJar actually submit my tax return. Saves me time and frees me to do things that will help me grow my business.

CONS

I rarely even visit my TaxJar account because it is automated and there's really nothing for me to do. I do check in once in a while to make sure it's tracking everything correctly. There is no real con for me so far.

Jamie

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2017

Tax Jar has solved our sales tax problems. This is the perfect solution for ecommerce companies.

It saves us so much time by filing returns or manually tracking sales tax rates. Their website also has so much beneficial information on sales tax issues.

PROS

This was the easiest plug in that our IT has integrated with our Magento Website. I love that it can collect and auto-file in every state. Customer support always answers our questions quickly and accurately. The interface is user friendly.

CONS

The updates this year have solved any lacking areas we saw when we first started using Tax Jar. There are a couple of times Tax Jar has charged tax when it should have not, but the percent this has happened is less than 0.001% and the number of transactions we have seen this on has decreased each month.

Tim

Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2018

Saves our business time and money

TaxJar is a great alternative to Avalara in terms of price and functionality. The service leaves something to be wanted at the lower end of the pricing scheme. Overall, it does what we need it to do.

PROS

TaxJar is a fully featured taxation product for our e-commerce business. I'm amazed that something so fully featured is available at such a low price. It integrates with our e-commerce plugin WooCommerce.

CONS

The service at the low price point is very poor. It feels like they do this intentionally to get you to upgrade.

Reviewed December 2018

Nice for State Taxes

I like all of it, got the 30 day free trial. It's great to use Taxjar if you're selling online, makes managing state sales taxes for shipments easy. State sales tax is a huge pain for most businesses just because taxes are so different across states, but Taxjar makes it simple.

PROS

It integrates with Walmart, Amazon, Shopify, and most other major online sellers, makes taxes for selling multichannel very easy. The integration is fast and sends data automatically.

CONS

They could always add more channels, but Taxjar has the big channels covered.

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2018

Centralizes and Aggregates a Ton of Information

PROS

Tax Jar helps me take 10,000 orders and pulls information like zipcodes so that I can figure out exactly how much tax is owed in each individual municipality. It centralizes policy, and knows if I have a nexus in each state and how much I owe in each locality. It knows things like if shipping and giftwrapping are taxable in states. I can't imagine running my small business without it.

CONS

The interface stinks - I frequently have to have 6 or 7 tabs open at once just to fill out one state's tax return. But, I'll take function over fashion on this one.

Cherri

Retail, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2019

Solves multi-state tax collection issues with clear and easy to understand soltuion.

PROS

Best is there is NO Contract! You can use them without the fear of being locked in for a long term. Their solution is easy to use, no real accounting background needed. Integrates with most shopping carts or marketplaces. Easy to reach support team. Takes the fear out of sales tax reporting.

CONS

No issues yet. The dashboard is clear and easy to use.

Carlton

Research, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Reviewed November 2019

Great way to overpay your taxes

We did custom API work to get our order system integrated such that we could get all our data into it, only to find out that it was going to totally fall flat on its face. Signing up for TaxJar has been the most disappointing experience our business has had in at least the past 3 years.

PROS

What they made it seem like it was. They really sold it well. If only it lived up to that.

CONS

What it actually was. Not only did TaxJar almost always calculated higher rates than Shopify, but it is unable to handle certain types of very legitimate tax exemptions (like partial R&D exemptions), thereby leaving you with the choice of filing manually (in which case TaxJar is COMPLETELY USELESS), or overpaying.

Reason for choosing TaxJar

Responsiveness of the sales team. Unfortunately, TaxJar is all about getting your business, but their responsiveness (and your ability to talk to an actual person) falls off a cliff once they have your money. Should've went with Avalara.

Elieser

Retail, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2018

Super Easy to use, and the most important part is the accuracy.

time, accuracy, projected cash flow of my business

PROS

Time saver, We have full confidence and trust this product, Can have reports that shows how much we pay to each state and we can plan our cash flow based on the calculation in advance.

CONS

I don't have anything to say on this one, since we start using it we notice the value in it. MAybe the can be integrated with a accounting software and will be a lot better.

Seth

Retail, 51-200 employees

Reviewed July 2019

Excellent product for price

So far TaxJar has made it easy to charge state taxes on our site.

PROS

TaxJar made it easy to implement charging state taxes this year on our site. We chose them mostly because of ease of implementation and lower price compared to competitors.

CONS

Sometimes tax rates seem slightly a little off but not often at all. Mostly a state issue

Reason for choosing TaxJar

Price and ease of implementation

Barbara

Consumer Goods, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2019

Simplifying Sales Tax!

I do believe that putting together our tax forms will be easy with the use of TaxJar. What could potentially be a big headache, TaxJar has everything I need to track sales tax collection and calculate.

PROS

As a business owner selling on several E-commerce platforms, its been crucial to be able to track sales tax. Not only for my state, but in other states as well. TaxJar not only provides this service, but is very up to date with the happenings of tax law. I've been able to use this with ease once our CPA showed us how to set things up.

CONS

This was hard to understand and navigate on my own. I had to have our CPA show me just exactly where to find everything and how to set things up.

Robert

Wholesale, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed December 2019

Taxjar saves us so much time!

We love using TaxJar and we would highly recommend it.

PROS

I love how much time we save each month with TaxJar. Filing sales tax in North Carolina is a bear of a chore. TaxJar shaves off ~2 hours each month for us.

CONS

Unfortunately, TaxJar has a hard time calculating the 2% food tax special rate in North Carolina. Not a deal breaker.

Sandi

Education Management, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed April 2018

Great customer support!!!

Sales tax is challenging, even our tax firm recommended we find a specialist for sales tax. They recommended Taxjar and I have been amazed how easy they are to work with.

PROS

Very easy to use software, and amazing customer support. I have only needed support a few times, but every time it is so easy to get ahold of them and they resolve issues very quickly.

CONS

I really like everything about Taxjar in the last year I have been using them. I would highly recommend.

Chelsea

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed November 2019

Awesome solution for online businesses

PROS

This software was very easy to implement for our online sales and helps ensure we are collecting the appropriate taxes from customers and I no longer have to think about it. They also provide the option to have your taxes prepared at the end of each month to submit to your state!

CONS

Honestly I do not have any, easy to implement, good price, helpful customer service

Gabriele