Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Compared to hipchat Ryver is much better in connectivity and ease of use. I can say that it is competitive in the chat system category."
  • icon"The ability to create tasks and assign them to people was super useful. Also, the UI was very unobtrusive."
  • icon"Sharing files is as easy as drag and drop. You can integrate third party services like Trello."
  • icon"The chat tends to confuse, about which department, activity or group is talking."
  • icon"The mobile application takes forever to load and just throws errors sometimes. It's unreliable and it's hard to figure out how to get the notification settings just-right."
  • icon"The only thing I dislike about this product is its method of API. It uses Zapier, which does charge a fee for 6 or more integrations."

Have you used Ryver and would like to share your experience with others?

All Ryver Reviews

Heather

May 2022

Could out-do Microsoft Teams... what do you think?

I do not know how much Ryver would cost a business because I am not on that side but I can imagine it is cheaper. It works almost the same as other similar software so this could be a big problem for its competitors.

Pros

What I like most about Ryver, it gives the user so many options when using the chat options. You can dress up your chat room to make it your own

Cons

What I like least about the software is the way the chat is organized. I couldn't tell if I was replying to a chat person or it was posted by someone else. Also, uploading a document or screen shot was not easy to do the first time but after the user is used to the features, then this software might out-do other chat/team similar software.

Reasons for switching to Ryver

I worked for a different employer at the time.

Matthew

The free version of Slack

We switched to Ryver when Slack changed its pricing structure. It seemed clunky at first, but they've continued to run updates a couple times since then and it's gotten better. Simple, graphically trimmed chat service.

Pros

It's a familiar set up and functionality to anyone who's used Slack in the past. Does a great job of helping our company communicate. No storage issues uploading images to share them on the platform. Recently started to utilize the task functions, big plus.

Cons

Responding to a comment and creating a thread is NOT conducive to quick, multi user conversation. The reply carries below it a ghostly version of the full message it relates to. Makes for a very cluttered stream of communication. Preloaded "Task" categories (Trello-like set up) are unnecessary and get cleaned every time to replace them with my own. Administrators/creators of channels/teams/forums have ultimate control and cannot reassign their authority when they leave the channel. Inconvenient.

Faiyaz

October 2022

Good as a messaging app.

Pros

Messaging App but has team collaboration facilities.

Cons

Not satisfactory as a team collaboration app. Bad navigation, no free plan, less customization options and screen sharing support up to five people only.

Maryann

Best messaging and task management app

I would recommend Ryver to everyone because it helps manage your team. You discuss important facts about a task and project and also get to assign task and as well check when completed. It promotes accountability.

Pros

First. I must say, Ryver is a great alternative to slack and its free. It's a messaging app that let's you manage task and projects. You get to chat one on one or in groups. As a freelancer, Ryver is an app I hold dearly because it has helped me interact with team, as I get to assign task to them and also talk about any part of the task that's difficult to handle.

Cons

Logging into the App can take awhile. The developers should work on this. I have no other problem with Ryver.

Response from Ryver

Thanks for your feedback, Maryann! We're really glad to hear that you are enjoying using Ryver, and we appreciate your recommending it to others!

Replied August 2019

Chinedu

Best alternative to Slack for free

I didn't miss slack when I switched over to Ryver. I was getting the same features with additional task function as well as complete access to old messages.

Pros

Unlike Slack, You can retain messages forever as a free user (No loss of old messages to newly added team members). The task tab is an amazing feature which lets you assign a task to individual members of the team as well as set a deadline in which the task is supposed to be completed.

Cons

Replying messages in a team channel is very messy, they carry the complete messages previously relating to it and this is not pleasant to the eyes in any way.

Response from Ryver

Thanks for your review, Chinedu. Regarding replying via Chat, we recommend turning chat posts into comments after a few replies to keep them organized all in one place. We hope you continue enjoying using Ryver!

Replied July 2019

Godwin

Good Small Team Communication Software

Ryver has made my team communicate faster and efficiently, it has allowed us to faster iterate clients tasks from one individual to another thereby making us more efficient in overall performance

Pros

Using Ryver, I like the task assignment feature. I like that I can be able to assign tasks to my team members and each person can view their individual task and see what they are meant to do, and the day the task is due and check the task once it has been completed.

Cons

Ryver needs to work on the loading speed of the software. Each time I leave the app, logging back in takes a little much time.

Response from Ryver

Thanks for your review, Godwin. We appreciate your feedback. We are constantly working to improve the speed of our app, and we'll be rolling out an updated version of the app soon. We hope you continue enjoying Ryver.

Replied July 2019

Jason

Great and Free alternative to Slack

It's completely free and offers a very useful collaborative experience for any size of team.

Pros

It's free. You get the very similar interaction and use out of this product as you do its more widely known competitor - Slack. The interface is very similar, so if you're transitioning, it's a pretty smooth process. Also, if you're transitioning from Slack, Ryver has an awesome import utility to bring over all your content and history.

Cons

The only thing I dislike about this product is its method of API. It uses Zapier, which does charge a fee for 6 or more integrations. Plus, when using Zapier, for like integrating RSS feeds, it uses your profile as the identifier in the chat. So if a status update comes through, it uses my profile pic with the comment, instead of a generic RSS feed icon. That's kind of lame because it may appear to some users that a person is typing it out.

Jammer A.

For the short time we have been using it, we have had very good results, I recommend it

we save costs by using a free version that meets our needs

Pros

Surprising, simple and clean interface, but very functional, it is possible to do many more things than just talk. integrates activities conversations and tasks, it seems to me that it differentiates itself from the others, that when assigning a task, it shows the avatar of the person who is assinated

Cons

The application for PC really does not seem better than the web application, we have also had the problem that some team members who use mini laptop, and the browser only shows the verison for mobile. the chat tends to confuse, about which department, activity or group is talking

Ramil

Industry: Security and Investigations

One of the best communication platform!

The software is great! We just subscribed on this application less than a year but we are loving it.

Pros

What I like about this software is it's sideline features. Chatting is pretty common but with Ryver it isn't the traditional communication platform, here on this software you can set up a meeting and let you share your screen. Ideal for team meetings and small presentations which is for me the cutting edge of this application.

Cons

Only one thing I noticed out of the so many good things about the software, the call button right beside the chat thread can easily be pressed unintentionally.

Simisara

All in one collaboration and task management tool

I use Ryver as part of the communication channel implemented for task management from our client end. It makes tracking of tasks easier.

Pros

Can chat as well as call team members over the app. Each task that is communicated via chat can be converted to tasks and the tasks can be tracked in projects. It also has its own mobile app version that is efficient to communicate. Thread communication is possible to track any requests. External collaboators can be added as guests.

Cons

Mobile app login can be more user friendly rather than having to key in org name. Use of a QR code can be more efficient.

Hannah

Convenient Communication

Decent product, wouldn't pay to subscribe to full-version based on my experience.

Pros

Ability to customize text and posts using shortcuts and the ability to create endless groups.

Cons

The software crashed more often than should be acceptable, and often new updates were rolled out and caused issues.

Response from Ryver

Dear Hannah, we're very sorry to hear about the crashes you experienced! We would love to re-earn your business by fixing whatever issues you experienced ad provide your subscription at a great discount. If you're interested, please email support@ryver.com along with a screenshot of this message. We'd love to make things right if we can. All my best, - Kyle Malkin, Ryver LLC Director of Marketing

Replied October 2020

Mbongiseni

Ryver Experience

Slack is great for organisations collaboration

Pros

Its decent compared to Slack or rocket Its easy to use Its Free to use and you can have unlimited users Sharing files is as easy as drag and drop you can integrate third party services like Trello

Cons

The software logs you out after it updates, when you make a call it sometimes doesn't hang up

Response from Ryver

Thanks for your feedback, Mbongiseni! We are glad to hear you're enjoying using Ryver!

Replied August 2019

Free for non-profits makes it a No-Brainer

Ryver has been a great addition to our stack. It's free so it lets us really dig in on every feature to maximize the fact that it's free! There have been several major releases that were communicated well and added major value. I have been very pleased with my interactions at all levels.

Pros

It's an amazing alternative to the other communication platforms out there. You already know how to use it. It's fun, simple, and gets the job done! Even comes with a pretty solid trello board to keep your tasks in line.

Cons

It's not as sexy as Slack - There I said it! :) Once you are in a system you can't leave. Like all these platforms. Once you commit - You are in!

Best means of Chat and Call Communication at work

Very good. It saves the conversation so it helps me go back to the history of what we were talking about. It works well for my work.

Pros

Its simplified way of communication through chat and call. Able to send document to someone, can do a private chat group, can search or go back to previous conversation using the search option inside the chat group or the person you are having a communication with. It also allows notification option and simple set up of own profile.

Cons

If you accidentally hit the call option to someone, it does not have the end call option. Need to relaunch to end it.

Bryan

Ryver - Slack's clone!

Up until we stopped using it, everybody loved Ryver. IT worked exceptionally well, had great support and an administrative console that was top notch. Again, if it remained free for us, we'd still be using it!

Pros

It does everything Slack does. Simple chat features, easy use, easy setup. At the time we used it, it was free for what we were doing. Unfortunately, they took away the free features, making my firm change to Slack's free model. With that being said, if you are using the paid features of Slack, Ryver is almost an exact clone of Slack, with a competitive cost. If I was paying for the added features, I would totally be satisfied with what Ryver brings to the table

Cons

As mentioned, it is great, however, due to the fact that it does not have the financial resources of Slack, they had to eliminate the free usage model, thus my firm moved away from Ryver and went with Slack.

Does Not Completely Work

Ryver's core functionality works as it should, however it is still a buggy piece of software. I really whish they could sort out the bugs in the dialing functionality.

Pros

It is fairly simple to use. It's core functionality does do what it's supposed to do

Cons

The call button is placed in an awkward position, I sometimes end up accidentally calling a team member and it is a chore to end the call. I end up having to restart the application otherwise it will just indefinitely dial.

Response from Ryver

Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with our calls feature. We'd love to fix whatever issues you're experiencing. Would you please email us at support@ryver.com describing the issue in more detail so that we can resolve it? Best, The Ryver Team

Replied May 2019