All Slack Reviews

Justin

Information Technology and Services, 201 - 500 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed November 2021

It can do everything, but sometimes you don't want it to

Frankline

Banking, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed October 2020

PERFECT BRIDGE BETWEEN AGENCY AND WORKERS

Slack qualifies to be the best collaboration tool of our generation with users navigating the app with quite a lot of ease. The experience at large is very positive and with such competitive prices, indeed there lies infinite potential with slack. It offers several intergrations iclusive of outlook and zoom among other essential plugins.

PROS

As a messenger app, the basic functions enabling communications are on a perfect edge with a simple, precise interface very easy to navigate. The search option comes in as a plus as you are able to trace your target messaage on a long thread with simple typing of words on the search bar. With slack, we are able to share files with quite a lot of ease and now with the IRC style, we can separate the conversation threads in the presence of multiple members in a team to set up off-topic discussions.

CONS

When sharing your screen with another team or individual, you have to go back to the initial chat to send a message, I would prefer this being done from the same UI of the screen-share. Also the limitation to the number of users attending a video conference does not confer with large organisations such as ours.

Reasons for switching to Slack

Inavailability of notification alerts for meetings made it unreliable.

Ronald

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Slack is amazing!In the office or on the go,Stay connected with Slack

Client and team communication is much easier with Slack,we are able to keep all our teams and departments on the same page.

PROS

I like that Slack eliminated all the other forms of communication I've used in the past at the office,chatter,email,text and Google messenger.It is easy to use and set up with or without any technical expertise one can use it.

CONS

Nothing in particular to state as a deslike Slack just works wow.

Christopher

Research, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2023

Not bad for small groups, horrible for large groups, free plan is now crippled

Only using Slack with external teams that use them. We no longer use it with our internal teams. Their confusing threaded views is really their downfall. There are other alternatives out there that do a much better job.

PROS

Slack has a very nice, slick interface. When the workspace is not busy, it's very easy to see all the messages and figure out what's relevant for you. Very easy to setup new workspaces and channels. And basically, the key reason why we use Slack is because almost everyone is using it.

CONS

Their free plan is now crippled. Only 90 days of retention. On a number of free workspaces, I wanted to refer back to some info which I no longer can find. Very frustrating. Slack also implements threaded conversations as a "tack-on" feature. Not everyone uses this feature and it just causes more and more user confusion, especially in large workspaces where many messages are mixed into the main channel as well as in threads. Their threads/mentions&reactions views which are supposed to help you filter out things not relevant for you are huge messes. Their pricing plans are also very expensive.

Reason for choosing Slack

We're no longer using Slack internally. Only for external communication with teams that insist on using it. MS Teams offers better integration with their Office suite. Zulip offers superior threaded conversations and formatting at a much more reasonable cost.

Matt

Utilities, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Slack helps Pickup the Slack

I like using Slack for internal team communications as it is simple and easy to use.

PROS

What I like most about Slack is the ease of use and how simple/straight forward it is. I'm able open the application and connect to and talk with my teammates in real-time.

CONS

Honestly, there is not much that I can say negatively about Slack because it just works. I'm able to accomplish my task with no problems

Reason for choosing Slack

It was free to setup and implement for our business and it was easy to do so.

Joy

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Slack at ASL

Business instant messaging and employee engagement.

PROS

I like how Slack keep updating, the recent update (video conferencing) is what I am really enjoying since I reduce the hassle for integrating with external web conferencing apps.

CONS

Ever since I started using Slack, it has never disappointed.

Nsereko

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 employees

Real-time Support Specialist

My overall experience is that am mind blown with Slack real-time chats.

PROS

The real-time live chats that are easy to send and have instant feedbacks.

CONS

It has no disadvantages that are affecting me.

Aloice

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Slack Connecting People Together

Incredible because it connects me with people virtually.

PROS

Slack connects me with my friends and family through video calls.

CONS

Slack does not have any problems, it is a fine platform.

Lana

Accounting, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed January 2024

good communicator

I use to slack daily. it helps me for work productively.

PROS

I love slack. it helps me for hard-working. Slack is easy to use, also it is so comfortable for chatting

CONS

I don't like slack, when the program is working so slowly.

Boris

Internet, 11-50 employees

Reliable communication tool

PROS

Slack is a very valuable tool for our company to coordinate internal projects, team alignment and company communication in hybrid work environment.

CONS

It could improve file management and automation.

Liam

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Easy setup for team communication

PROS

Clever and intuitive, allows me to engage with team members with a friendly experience.

CONS

Not a lot to say here, except maybe more guides of how to use the tool.

Rono

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed April 2024

Slack is surely the king of work related updates, there's no better app.

So far Slack has lived up to its name, a proper communication software.

PROS

I love how related work communities are grouped in channels. this ensures fast and organised communication.

CONS

I dislike the way the slackbot removes members of a channel automatically.

Reviewed September 2019

Google Hangouts Replacement, Saved us from Teams

I actually enjoy Slack. It is fun to use, and I like much more than sending an email.

PROS

Slack really allows us to communicate effectively based on group or subject. We can communicate directly in the General chat, directly, or in any number of specialized group channels. Each team has their own channel, and if needed, that channel can be locked to prevent other teams from entering. Most are open channels that allow for any of our teams to come in and converse on the subject titled. One our favorite things to use are external apps. I love that Slack will pop up an upcoming appointment or if we need a meeting in say Zoom, I can just type /zoom and it will generate a Zoom link and we can all join in. We are on the free tier, so with the higher level tier, you can get conferencing and a wealth of other features added in. The free level serves us very well. We use email integration also, so important emails and even things like weather alerts pop up as a Slack notification. It is really a great service.

CONS

Can be confusing to use if you are not used to chat systems such as Hangouts or WhatsApp though. The idea of a separate room, or Group chat, confuses some, but once they see how things work, it is a non-issue.

Reason for choosing Slack

Microsoft Teams is a poor implementation of what Slack is. It is a burden to use. The layout of the Teams application was awful and the channel layouts were hard to use. It was free to use also, but we did not want to deal with that headache. I think that if Teams did not come with O365, people would not use it. It is awful. Slack is designed so much better overall.

Reasons for switching to Slack

HATED Hangouts first off, but then the long term decision to shutdown hangouts for non-business users was the final nail. We refused to switch to Duo, which was also killed off.

Luis Daniel

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed May 2019

A great team communication tool

Slack is honestly the best tool for team collaboration. You can communicate via voice or text with your coworker or friends from the browser, desktop or phone and it's reliable a lot. The messages are there and so are the files shared. Also same with the chat rooms.

PROS

I like Slack. I have been using it for aprox 4 years now. It's simple and it get's the job done. You can add extensions like JIRA, Google Drive, DropBox and so on. Basically slack you can have different rooms for different teams (you can manage the members per room or invite) and you can also have private chat conversations with other people. It's basically a chat server for your company or organization. The mobile app is awesome, the desktop app is fine and you can also use Slack on the browser. The free tier is good if you have a small team, now if you message a lot there's like a 10,000 message limit for the history so if you want to get the best deal, you'll need to pay. Same for the file sharing, there's a limit but it works super good.

CONS

Honestly Slack is great, but with the time, it's become stagnant. A lot of other platforms are providing features that are more robust and free. For instance, Discord, even if it is for gaming, it does everything Slack does and better. Even the desktop sharing is better. I wish Slack just kind of moved out of the stagnant position they are right now and innovate a bit more or refresh their app, but hopefully they don't break it, because it works fine as well.

Reason for choosing Slack

I initially started with it, before Discord even got better, the thing is, we are so integrated with Slack at the moment, we wish Discord could just add extensions but they have bots. so they're almost there.

Heather

Real Estate, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Connecting made easy

I have used many messaging platforms in my professional career and for me, Slack takes the cake! It is really modern and the features are very easy to use. I also like how Slack manages new feature release which you can always tell us based off of recent user feedback. Slack is extremely intuitive and my team team (even those who prefer to communicate less ) enjoy using it.

PROS

Slack is great for collaborating and communicating with your immediate team and across multi functional teams as well. Creating channels that are topic specific such as DevOps or functional area (product) specific allows people from across the organization to post questions, comments, share docs (slack has a larger file capacity that our email server), and subscribe to certain posts such as issue management. I really like the @all, channel, specific person functionality because of how it is linked to notification management. My other favorite slack feature is pinning certain threads which Slackbot can help remind you when new detail is published pertaining to the thread.

CONS

I wish that there was a history roll up available so I could check back maybe 4 moths or so to see who I talked to. For instance, I was recently troubleshooting a technical issue and knew I had spoken with someone before to resolve the same problem a few months back. However it was in a 1:1 direct message and for the life of me I could not remember their name! I wish there was some type of running history that could show me everyone I have corresponded with because there is only so much room in the section doe Direct Messages in the fixed Slack side bar/column. I also wish that I could get a daily roll up of direct message communications to my email because I like the notification I have setup for whenever a new Slack message comes accross.

Reasons for switching to Slack

Enterprise decision and my sector of work (product and technology) use Slack as the sole messaging platform where as we also have zoom for other business sectors.

501-1,000 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Communication made easy

Slack is a very good tool with many add-ons that can help your business with communication, reminders, etc. The library of add-ons is growing. The only thing is that I wish the search was a little bit better, you often find irrelevant hits and it is a bit hard to exclude channels or people in your search.

PROS

How easy it is to use. It is easy to chat with other members in the organization, it is easy to start small chat groups, for more permanent groups you can start channels, both public and private. It has both voice calls and video calls that are fast and smooth with great quality.

CONS

It is a bit harder to cooperate with other companies, where skype is available for anyone and you can easily add any contact, in slack you need an administrator to add a quest to the workspace. a good thing is that for each paid license you have in the company you can invite 5 guests that have access to a single channel(single-channel guest). a small con is that you need to pay a license for any guest that need access to more than one channel(multi-channel guest) The search function could offer a few more options

Reasons for switching to Slack

I'm not sure why the company made this decision, but we are all glad that we did. Slack is a better tool than Skype, except when it comes to the freedom of interacting with external users that don't have slack in their company.

Aaron

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2020

Love it. Slack-ing off @ work

It has offered a more comfortable work life and the UX seems to have that as a guiding principal. It works well and has a wonderful host of API's that greatly extend functionality of the software.

PROS

It makes Microsoft Teams or whatever they call it this year obsolete. It's like an intra-office Reddit for us. Hilarious but still very productive.

CONS

That it defaults to trying to update via windows store. Which is not accesible via group policy. Forcing an manual install every time.

Reason for choosing Slack

We actually liked freshdesk for the Helpdesk portion, but slack is like our own "geocities". We each can personalize it to our taste. We are like power rangers each with a different Zord/weapon. Simply because of the API's and extensions available.

Reasons for switching to Slack

Teams us not as robust as slack and is wayyyy more "CORPORATE". Slack is like wayyyy more "MODERN". MS tried though

Nicholas

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2020

Great integrations with tools

We were on Skype for Business and the features on Slack are much richer and better. Some people are using Teams, which is also a good alternative, but for some people the heavy footprint of the full Teams product was a bit too much.

PROS

It's an easy, reliable tool to use for messaging, and easily organizes teams with channels for discussion. The integrations with web hooks are also very useful for using other developer/production tools for software development. Custom slackmojis are also a fun morale booster.

CONS

The free version has a short history span, but this is understandable given it has a free version. When having a direct ad hoc conversation with multiple people (not wanting to setup a channel), it can be difficult to read the names for each conversation and distinguish one from the other. Maybe there's a way to rename the convo, but I haven't found it yet.

Reason for choosing Slack

Lighter weight, and we have some company developers who only use Linux so because there isn't a Teams for linux distribution we couldn't use it.

Deprecation

5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed August 2020

Great Business Continuity Tool

It has been a great experience using Slack. It is a valuable tool and I really like how we are able to collaborate as a team and make it seem as if we are still working together in the office.

PROS

1:1 Chat - Ability to have 1:1 conversations with team members. Useful when working on a project together. Team Collaboration - Ability to bring a project together and share with a team. Group Chat - Ability to have one area/space where the team collaborates, shares ideas, and works together to communicate issues. Bot Integration - Ability to integrate various tools and bots that can make the day easier. Ability to integrate to web conferencing tools like Zoom, Webex, Teams. Ability to create to-do lists, track time, etc. Manage Team - Great way to manage a team who is working remotely in various geographic locations.

CONS

Still trying to work around our SSO integration - This is mostly an internal bug we are trying to work on, but it would be nice if we can make Slack to work for a single sign on experience.

Reason for choosing Slack

Slack was inexpensive and has the value of simplifying the use across our different levels of technological expertise in the company.

Reasons for switching to Slack

To streamline processes across the globe and to ensure a means of consistency across all teams.

Matthew