All Otter Reviews

Fraser

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2021

Otter is fantastic

Great experience with Otter. I use the app to record myself dictating content into my phone when I walk as I combine exercise with content marketing and I also use it to record conversations with clients to easily turn the knowledge in their heads easily into written content.

PROS

It just works so well. The quality of transcription is great even with my Scottish accent which sometimes troubles transcription software and the app works so well too.

CONS

Nothing, honestly. And the fact that it as such a great free level makes it insane value. It is easy to use and extremely accurate.

Reason for choosing Otter

I haven't needed to look at others much though I do use them.

Reviewed March 2022

Great option for transcribing and easily keeping track of minutes of meeting

PROS

It keeps track of all the minutes of meetings by transcribing them in real-time. One can easily search the word and go to the timestamp of the video rather than watching the whole video to search for something. Transcribing the meeting becomes really powerful as it saves time for a recap and filters out all the important information with the advanced search option. I like that one can directly record an audio for transcription without needing to connect to meeting app.

CONS

In my experience the quality of transcription I get in Otter varies a lot depending on the microphone or headset I am using. For some headsets, the transcription does not work as well when compared to others even though all my headsets are of good quality. The quality of transcription varies especially as different people in meetings can have different speaker volumes and accents. The upload time for pre-recorded zoom videos is too long in my experience, take about an hour for a 1 Gb file.

Reason for choosing Otter

To transcribe important meetings, referring to and searching particular information discussed within the meeting, to save my time.

Brian

Internet, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2022

Just An Otter Speech-to-Text Tool

It was fundamentally okay, but that's the best it ever got. No real complaints but I have no complements to reccommend it, either.

PROS

It was easy enough to operate and accurate enough for your work to flow fairly smoothly. And it never needed a readjustment once your voice levels were set. Altogether a serviceable tool.

CONS

For some reason I found it difficult to find at times, and it was different in the way it processed your speech, then you had to copy and paste the text and the text might be on a different web page.

Reason for choosing Otter

The Windows tool was a little quirky to launch and wasn't as accurate as I needed it to be. The others I used laterally whikle decuding which to use permanently. I chose Lilyspeech.

Reasons for switching to Otter

The Windows tool was a little quirky to launch and wasn't as accurate as I needed it to be. The others I used katerally whikle decuding which to use permanently. I chose Lilyspeech.

Julio

Accounting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Help for Video Calls without taking notes

Overall the experiences a great experience, I find that the software does what it has to do, which is transcribe the meetings know who is talking give summaries of the meetings in my opinion is the best feature I find that the free version which gives you about eight meetings month is low enough so that if you needed more you buy the plan.

PROS

I normally have about 10 to 15 meetings a week and before using order I actually had a notebook for each call, forgot most of the data that I had to write within the meeting but at the end I used Otter, and completely relied on the transcription software

CONS

I find that sometimes it does not transcribe words perfectly well, and when you go back, it's hard to actually know what the person was talking about. It has improved, though.

Alexander

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed July 2023

It's good...

It's transcription is really great. Search-ability is good, could be better. A full search for 'all my meetings with X person' or all meetings talking about X would be great.Export tools are lacking, but understandable. It's the kind of tool that can be a lifesaver.

PROS

It connects with your calendar (but only one) so you can just click your meeting and hit record. That's fantastic. It keeps all metadata present (who, what) so you can come back to it.

CONS

The bot kept joining meetings without me and it wasn't obvious how to stop this. Most abrasive on Teams meetings where everyone gets a notification that my robot has started the call. Then sends aggy emails about how nobody was in the meeting. Somewhat amusing, sometimes embarrassing when on client.

Reviewed July 2022

Best Software for Transcription and Note Taking

PROS

This software has a good user interface for both computer and mobile devices. Its playback option is a unique feature along with its capability of transcribing in real time.

CONS

It is a good software given the task it accomplishes yet some features like the upload time of video files could be upgraded at a more convenient position.

Reviewed July 2021

Great for the Classroom

PROS

I am a second career student and can't remember things as well as I used to. I user Otter to record my classes and then listen to the parts I struggled to remember. It works out great, even if I am not sitting in the front row. Even when the transcription isn't before because of uncommon words, the audio is strong enough to allow me to override the text.

CONS

Sometimes it seems like the transcription can take a while. I synced my calendar, but it started picking up things I didn't want to record and became annoying, so I disconnected it.

Danielle

Design, 1 employee

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed June 2021

Awesome Transcription Tool

Overall I've been very impressed with Otter. I tested a few apps for transcribing my client's podcast and Otter did a much better job than the others.

PROS

I tested multiple apps on the same recording and the accuracy of Otter's auto-generated transcript was amazing - MUCH better than the others. The speaker had a British accent which is notoriously challenging for transcription tools. But Otter hardly had any problems with it. Otter also did not drop words when the podcast intro/outro music was playing, which was another problem I had with other apps. One more pleasant surprise was that Otter automatically ignored filler words. The editing workflow was pretty smooth for the relatively minor correcting I need to do.

CONS

One feature that I missed - and that the other transcription apps had - was global find and replace, which is a common feature in word processing tools. For instance, if a name has an unusual spelling and the speaker repeats it multiple times in the recording, I should be able to change all instances with the click of a button. You just tell the software what to look for and what to change it to. Another feature that someone looking for an all-in-one tool might miss is the ability to edit the recording itself.

Joshua

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed April 2020

Makes transcribing copy, and interviews effortless.

Otter helps me solve the problem of transcribing interviews, and allowing me to write copy by talking. My overall experience has been great.

PROS

What I like most about otter as a specialized email copywriter is it allows me to talk my copy out loud, and have it automatically transcribed for me. This especially helps when my hands sore, and I want to keep on writing. I also use it for transcribing client interviews.

CONS

The thing I like least about the software is because it's A.I. the transcription is far from perfect. There's always tons of errors. Still it saves a lot of time transcribing it yourself. It's easier to fix the errors, than do it all yourself.

Zahra

Management Consulting, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed September 2021

Nothing Beats Otter AI

I discovered Otter AI back in 2019 and i haven't had a reason to uninstall it. I think the best thing about it is that you can begin recording and then the app continues to transcribe it in the background. So while i love the accuracy of transcription, i enjoy the recording feature as well. In fact I remember a client of mine said something about 16 thousand but when i read the transcription it was written as 60 thousand and I was like, this must be a mistake so I heard the audio and yes! it was 60 thousand and because i couldnt believe it, so i asked the client again to confirm if it was sixteen or sixty and he said "oh yea yea its sixty"... i'm not planning to move away from Otter AI

PROS

The transcription feature is so amazing! I have used it so many times to understand what the client meeting was all about especially when building proposals.

CONS

Have yet to find a problem in the app. I mean it has a quick widget on iOS also!

Ed

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2022

I never miss documenting an idea

It's been amazing from the first time I used the app to capture a business conversation and it began transcribing in real time right on my phone home screen

PROS

Audio recording while ideating outloud and now connected to my zoom account which auto transcribes meetings

CONS

support is slow to respond to tickets with questions

better features

Reasons for switching to Otter

expanded functionality and real time transcription

andrew

Financial Services, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Otter is amazing

Tremendous.

PROS

Everything it is so good I can ramble on about it forever

CONS

Genuinely, I have 0 complaints. Everything about this software is amazing, it even links to my calendar and pre-names my interviews

Joy

Events Services, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2023

Great product for reviewing meeting info

It's been outstanding as in meetings it's sometimes hard to get all the information needed.

PROS

I like the option for both text and voice for review. It has been very easy to navigate through the notes and helps with reporting.

CONS

There haven't been any cons to the software. Nothing at this point that I can say I dislike. It's a click of a button and your ready to go.

Grace

Consumer Goods, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2021

My board game co-designer and I use Otter to record playtesting feedback, which allows us to review those notes later and send them to each other when we're doing separate tests. Very handy and easy to use.

PROS

I like that it's easy to set it up and then forget about it and trust that it's getting the information that you need.

CONS

It used to be free, so it was really nice when you had unlimited recording time.

Bonnie

Publishing, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed January 2023

Easiest to use, has all the features I want

I use Otter to make transcripts for my podcast--and to allow me to quickly review the content of an episode without re-listening to it. It's easy to use and not too expensive.

PROS

Otter makes uploading and transcribing easy. I tried free trials on a couple of other transcription sites, and none of them were as intuitive or clean interface-wise as Otter. The speech recognition is pretty good, and it's very easy to edit when needed.

CONS

I would rather be able to pay a per-hour cost than a subscription, but that's not a big deal. With the annual subscription, the price is manageable.

Reason for choosing Otter

Otter had the best free trial, and the trial was enough to convert me. When my trial was up, I tried a couple of other options, but none of them were as good, so I went back to Otter and bought the pro plan

Reviewed October 2023

Amazing AI tool for meetings

Using Otter in zoom calls is great, its like being there but actually not. You can then with AI filter the transcription with is accurate. It provides a summary with screenshots and participants

PROS

- Accurate transcription in real time, integrates with zoom- Super easy to use- Variety of features, including speaker identification, smart notes, and search and share- Affordable pricing plans

CONS

Accuracy can decrease for noisy recordings or for recordings with accents. Also limited language support. Otter currently only supports transcription for English, Spanish, French, German, and Japanese.

Heejin

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed December 2022

Life-saver for taking notes and making transcripts

PROS

Otter offers highly accurate audio transcription and recording. The best part is that you can click on phrases and sentences in a transcription to replay the corresponding recording. The software can identify new voices/speaker chances as well. This is a god-send for saving time and improving accuracy for transcribing meets, podcasts, or videos.

CONS

The free version only allows 30 minutes of transcription at a time. If you need to record/transcribe longer than that however, you can just start a new transcription recording.

Mariah

Design, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed April 2021

A great option for quick video transcription

Overall, Otter has been an integral part of my business. We use it to turn Youtube videos into blog posts and social media posts as well as to create closed captions for Youtube and Vimeo videos. It's streamlined our process as a team and has allowed us to work smarter not harder.

PROS

I love how quickly the software transcribes my videos. It's easy, user-friendly, and efficient and my team runs smoother because of it. I also appreciate that it allows me to create closed captioning for my video and therefore ensures my content is accessible.

CONS

It's not always super accurate. Although it's a great software, my team still has to go through the transcript and make changes when necessary so it still adds time to our day.

elaine

Writing and Editing, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2022

A real time saver

Overall, Otter is a lifesaver and life-changer that has saved me so much time and helped me avoid keyboarding fatigue and injuries. When I review a transcript and am unsure of something that was said I can replay the audio at that point and make any necessary corrections.

PROS

Otter has saved me many hours of tedious transcription work. I love that it transcribes speech live so that I can monitor its accuracy while I'm conducting an interview and note when it gets something wrong. Editing the transcript in Otter is easy. It's also no problem to download it into Word for further editing.

CONS

It sometimes does not recognize a new speaker if the speaker talks over or interjects.

Civic & Social Organization, 1 employee